InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Secrecy ( Chapter 85 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Secrecy

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

Ryozen stared at the young person that lay on the furs before him, and frowned thoughtfully. He was still wondering if he'd been wise to interfere... but what was done was done, and all he could do now was wait and see how it would all play out.

It was interesting to note, however, the new mark that colored the flesh over the right temple: a white rose... for secrecy.

It appeared that during life, this youngster had spent much time spying on Sesshoumaru and his group, and had picked up on the symbolism of the flowers that the miko and the little girl seemed to love so much, because when the mind was called on to swear silence in a visible way, that was the mark it had chosen.

Appropriate, that. For this young one will never be able to speak of how life was returned... one body becoming another...

No... some things were never meant to be shared - and this is one of them.

With a sigh, he sat down to keep watch, hoping that the person before him would be ready to leave come morning - it was time to go see Sesshoumaru again, and show him the fruits of his labors.

Hopefully, at least one person would be happy.

The next morning, he looked to his companion, and asked, "Are you ready, then?"

With a short nod from the otherwise silent figure, the two dissolved, and the journey began.

Traveling for Ryozen never took long, no matter where he was going, and this journey was no different. They arrived at their destination in less than an hour, and as he allowed the outside world to see their forms once again, startled shrieks split the air - causing most of the group following Sesshoumaru to come running.

The shock when they arrived, however, was instant - and complete, not one person able to say a word.

Until Sesshoumaru himself arrived.

He tilted his head and studied the form of the person standing next to the dragon, and then looked to Ryozen questioningly, brow cocked.

Ryozen looked around at the still shocked and silent people surrounding him, and nodded to his companion. "Go, boy... go speak to your sister."

As soon as he said that, surprised cries and happy words began bursting from the friends all gathered together, and Kohaku glanced uncertainly at Ryozen, then at his sister.

"Ane-ue...?" he asked quietly, fear in his voice.

"Kohaku," she whispered, a smile slowly spreading across her face as she stepped forward to hug him, sweeping him up into her arms as ecstatic tears flooded her eyes and ran down her cheeks.

Sesshoumaru watched for a moment, then his eyes drifted to the face of his miko, noting the joy shining brightly from her expression, before moving back to the dragon.

With a gesture, he motioned for him to follow, then stepped a little distance away from the happy reunion.

"Explain." One word - but that was all that was necessary.

"The spider had absorbed the boy before his death... before he attached that small piece of himself to the wind witch. It brought that portion of the boy's soul with it - and when the tama was used to strip the kaze's body of Naraku's soul, the young man's soul was left behind - because the tama was only set to collect a black, tainted soul - and the boy's was not."

"And?"

"And nothing." Ryozen shrugged. "What I did to retrieve the boy and reform a body for him is, frankly, no one elses business. It is between the boy and I - a secret, if you will."

Sesshoumaru's eyes narrowed appraisingly, and he considered the dragon's words for a few moments... and then nodded.

"Very well - I will not press." He looked back to the happy group, and bowed his head a little to the dragon.

"I am sure the slayer will have words for you - perhaps you should go speak to them. This one has no further questions for you." It was a clear dismissal, and Ryozen chuckled, a wry acceptance on his face.

This Inu will never change...

As he moved back to the people surrounding the slayer and her brother, Kagome looked up and caught Sesshoumaru's eye. Slipping away quietly from the spreading commotion ringing Sango and Kohaku, she walked up to him and smiled.

"What's wrong?"

He glanced at her, then looked back towards Ryozen.

"He does not wish anyone to know how he returned the boy to life."

Kagome laughed at him, then reached over and took his hand in hers. Looking back down the hill, she said, "Does it really matter, though? Sometimes..." she mused, "the how isn't really important, you know?"

He thought about that for a while...

And found that he had to agree.

Some things just were, and should be accepted as such.

Like her... he'd learned long ago that to question why she was the way she was simply wasted time...

Because for some questions...

There weren't any answers.

And even if there were, some things just needed to be taken on faith.

This was one of those things, he decided.

He looked down at the young boy, watching as he hesitantly spoke to those around him, and nodded.

Keep your secrets, boy... my miko is right - the how does not matter...

Only that you make the most of the second chance you have been given.

---oOo---

A/N: And that answers the questions about Kohaku's fate... poor Kagura - too bad she could not be saved, too. But no... she was doomed.

Amber