InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ True Friendship ( Chapter 92 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

True Friendship

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

Miroku turned to look at his friend as the hanyou came bounding out of the trees, calling to him, and he noticed immediately that Kanna followed behind him, holding a small bouquet of flowers and smiling shyly, a happier expression on her face than he'd ever seen there.

"Oi, Miroku! I gotta ask you a question - privately," he glowered at Shippo and Rin, who stood next to him, grinning up at the adults with strangely knowing smiles. "You two runts scram - go hook up with Sango for a little bit."

Shippo snickered at him as Rin beamed, and the two ran off together as Kanna stepped up to Inuyasha's side.

The hanyou watched the kids run off, then turned and looked at his closest male friend.

Hesitantly, he said, "I've got a big favor to ask you, monk. I'm not sure... I mean, I don't want to offend you," his ears suddenly flattened to his head, and he flushed uncomfortably, and Kanna took his hand, and looked up at the rather bemused monk.

"What Inuyasha is trying to ask is if you'll pray a blessing for us - a marriage blessing," she said, her voice quiet, and a sweet flush on her face.

"Keh!"

Miroku stared at the two, as a huge smile broke over his face, and he clapped his hand on the hanyou's back. "Congratulations, my friends! Come on, Inuyasha, did you really think I'd say no?" he asked, surprised at the relieved expression on his friends face.

"I... wasn't sure," he said, looking down at his feet. "I'm only a half-breed, and I didn't know what you'd think, but I had to ask."

"Inuyasha, you're like a brother to me - I'm more than happy to do this for you two, honestly." He caught the hanyou's eye. "Does Kagome know?" he asked.

"Yeah," Inuyasha nodded, and Kanna smiled sweetly. "She's the one who gave me the flowers for Kanna."

Miroku chuckled. "That's Kagome, alright. So... I take it you want to do this now?"

"Keh. Yeah... Kagome called it an 'elopement'. I didn't want some big deal like she had."

"Very well, then, follow me, you two. Sango would kill me if I did this and she wasn't there - I really have no desire to meet up with hiraikotsu again," he said ruefully, rubbing a tender spot on his head.

Kanna giggled softly, and Inuyasha rolled his eyes. "Feh. You're gonna end up with that thing embedded permanently in your skull, monk, so you may as well get comfortable with it."

As the three walked towards the village looking for Sango, none of them noticed the small girl, or the even smaller fox kit, smiling at them...

Just an hour later, a grinning hanyou, and a blushing void youkai bowed to Miroku and his betrothed, gratitude shining in the eyes of both of them.

"Thanks, Miroku - you don't know how much this means to me," he changed that as he got an elbow in the side from his new wife, "us. We'll be back in a few days..." he trailed off with a red face as Miroku's honest smile turned lecherous.

He shook his head, then bent down and presented his back to Kanna. "Come on - let's get out of here before the lecher starts," and as Kanna climbed on, he stood, and grinning at Sango and Miroku, he waved as they took off. "Tell Kagome I said we'll see her soon, will ya?"

"Sure, Inuyasha," he yelled back as the two disappeared into the trees, and Sango smiled over at him as they turned and began to walk back towards the village. Neither was really surprised when the two children showed up and began to walk with them.

Miroku was surprised, however, when Rin handed him a piece of drawing paper, folded in half.

"Rin made you this picture, Miroku-sama, because you proved that you are a good friend to Inuyasha-sama. Shippo told Rin how people treated him," her little face got sad, "and that no one wanted to see him be happy, and that's why he wasn't sure you would help him get married. Rin is glad that you did... he deserves to be happy, just like my mama and Sesshoumaru-sama."

Sango and Miroku exchanged surprised glances, then the monk opened the folded piece of paper, and smiled at the brightly colored drawing of a...

Tree?

"Rin... what is this tree, and what does it mean?" Sango asked, a bit surprised that it wasn't a flower.

"This is an ar-bor vi-vitae. It means true friendship. That's what you showed Inuyasha-sama, so Shippo and Rin thought it was a good picture." She stumbled over the words, but it was so cute, neither minded.

Shippo popped up, then. "It's an evergreen, mama said, and that's why it stands for friends, 'cause it never dies, and the best friendships never do."

The two adults looked at each other again, this time not surprised to hear such wisdom coming from the two children.

After all, they were both thinking, Kagome is the one raising them.

Miroku folded the picture back up, and slipped it into his robes, then offered a hand to each of the kids, smiling as Sango took the hand of the other, and they began walking again.

"Your mama's right, Shippo... the best friendships do last forever," he said with a wink. "And the best friends are like family... just like our family."

The children laughed happily, and Sango smiled softly over at him.

He'll make a wonderful father- just like he makes a wonderful friend.

---oOo---

A/N: Wow... I wasn't sure I'd get this one done... my minds stuffed full of cotton right now, and I feel almost stoned, lol.

Hope it turned out understandable...

Amber