InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Good Luck ( Chapter 93 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Good Luck

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

Kagome stared at the tiny green leaf in her hand, and twirled it slowly between two fingers, a thoughtful expression on her face.

Good thinking, Rin, she chuckled inwardly, as she continued to stare at the little four-leaf clover... we need all the luck we can get with this. Because if we don't do it right...

Her thoughts trailed off there, her psyche not wanting to imagine the consequences of failing in her duty.

I wonder how long it took her and Shippo to find this... it's not like four-leaf clovers just grow all over the place.

She looked down at the expectant faces of her two mischievous children, and smiled. "Bet you guys spent a lot of time looking for this, didn't you?" she asked, and Shippo nodded.

"Yeah, we spent all afternoon looking while we waited for Inuyasha to get married and for you and Sesshoumaru-sama to come back," he said, a cheeky grin on his face.

She sighed, and glanced over at Sesshoumaru, who was looking at the little green sprout in her hand with a raised brow and an expectant air.

"It's a four-leaf clover, and it stands for 'good luck'. I think it's rather appropriate."

He huffed, and looked from her fingers to her face. "Luck is no replacement for good planning, wife. If you do one, then you have no need of the other."

"Ah... well, still," she chuckled, "it certainly won't hurt. This jewel has done enough harm - and it's about time we get rid of it." She looked up at him, and held his gaze. "What should the wish be, then?"

"The others, Inuyasha and Kanna, and the monk and the taijiya - they do not want to be here?" he asked.

Kagome shook her head. "Inuyasha left with Kanna, knowing that I planned to get rid of this thing as soon as our wedding celebration was over - if he'd wanted to be here, he'd have waited until we'd done it to get married himself."

"And the others?"

"Sango and Miroku 'trust me to do the right thing', is what they said when I asked them... so it's just us."

He looked at her, then down at the jewel that she held in her fingers, she'd already taken the necklace holding it off, and they both ended up staring at it quietly, along with the children, for several long moments.

So much hassle for such a small thing, Kagome mused... but what's the right wish?

"After all this time," she started, still staring at it, "I'm still not sure how to get rid of it. Anyone have any ideas?"

"Mama," a small voice piped up, "what do you want from the jewel?"

Kagome blinked, and Sesshoumaru turned his gaze on Rin as that question penetrated his thoughts.

"Uh... want?" She shook her head. "I don't want anything. I've got everything I could ever possibly want - and all my friends and family are happy, so..."

"Then... maybe you should just wish that it disappears forever, or something like that. If it's not around, it can't mess up the wish, or cause anymore problems, right?" she asked earnestly, and Sesshoumaru's brow rose as Kagome's mouth formed an 'oh' of surprise. Even Shippo looked surprised at first, but then he thought about it.

"Yeah, mama, that sounds like a good wish to me, too. We don't want anything from it except for it to go away forever."

Kagome looked up at Sesshoumaru. "What do you think?" she asked softly. "It sounds better than anything I'd thought of, to tell the truth."

He considered it for several minutes, and finally nodded. "That would, perhaps, work, but we will have to word it carefully, to make sure there are no 'loopholes', so to speak," he answered.

She nodded, and moved to sit down, back against the well, gathering the children up with her, and thought about it as he watched.

"How about... we wish the jewel to disappear forever, freeing the spirits trapped within? Would that work, do you think?"

He inhaled deeply, then exhaled, looking down at the grass, and then he looked back up. "It sounds promising, miko." He sat down in front of her, and wrapping his own hand around the one of hers that held the jewel, he cautioned the two children to stay back while the wish was made.

"Come, then, Shikon miko - we will make your wish."

Inside two minds that were linked together, and with the jewel, the same words were thought - a simple wish to free the spirits trapped within it, and to disappear - and with a silence that was louder than a clearing full of screaming children, the tama faded out with only one tiny flicker of light...

And the shikon no tama was no more.

It was ironic, Sesshoumaru thought, that a jewel that had caused such havoc and made so much noise in its lifetime, disappeared into nothing with nary a sound.

Kagome sighed, and met his steady gaze. "Is it over?" she asked, a hopeful note in her voice, and Sesshoumaru nodded.

"I think so... the aura that it gave off is now gone - dissipated into nothingness. I do believe that we are now free of the burden of the tama... permanently."

The two children still sitting just a few feet away laughed and cheered, and Kagome smiled, relief shining brightly in her eyes...

"Guess I'm not the Shikon miko anymore, then," she said cheerfully, laughing at the antics of the children as they ran and tumbled around the clearing, chasing each other back and forth.

"No... you are not. However... you are still miko - and now, you are also my Lady, my wife. I think that this job is more important than any other, so it is good that that particular duty is finished," he said, an arrogant note permeating his voice.

Kagome laughed outright at him. "Think highly of yourself, my Lord, don't you?"

"Perhaps, wife," he moved closer suddenly, staring down into her face with a smirk, "but it has come to this ones attention that you think even more highly of me - so why are you complaining?"

She shook her head, still chuckling.

Full of himself, he is... but he does have reason to be, that much is true, she conceded.

I just won't ever tell him that out loud - I'd never hear the end of it if I did.

---oOo---

A/N: And now, the jewel is gone... that leaves... Sango and Miroku's wedding!

Amber