InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The King's Mistress ❯ The Familiar Stranger ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: The King's Mistress
 
Author: dolphingirl0113
 
Chapter Ten: The Familiar Stranger
 
Rating: PG-13 (for language and, at times, implied sexual situations)
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
I was quickly swept up into the dazzling world of fame and popularity, thanks to my role as the Summer Maiden, and more then that, I came to realize, to my utter horror, that I was enjoying it. I loved riding through towns and having men remove their hats in respect, women curtsying, and little children running up with flowers for me or gently blowing kisses in my honor. I felt myself blossom under the attention, and was not unaware of the fact that as a result several heads (mostly men) turned in my direction, including the King.
 
He watched me often in those days, as though I were a puzzle he was trying to piece together. It both unnerved and flattered me; the former because I hated feeling like an animal being looked over by an approving master, and the latter because I felt honored that he even noticed my presence. But I was naïve…of course he was aware of my presence. How could he not be, when I was ever present in the place of honor at his side, where his wife-to-be, my sister Kikyou, should have been?
 
Kikyou…
 
She was the only dark cloud on my otherwise beautiful days, her empty throne to Inuyasha's right at banquets and her carriage, always right behind me but keeping her hidden from view, worse in reminding me of her presence then her stern face. I felt guilty for enjoying my new position of honor…I felt like I was taking her place, a place she had earned, that she deserved as the beloved of a King. After all, what was I, compared to her? I was naught but the daughter of a widowed Marquess while she, always the superior, was now set to become Queen.
 
Kikyou…my sister, my other self…Kikyou…
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
Miroku's home was absolutely beautiful, the work of many generations who constantly seemed to add to it. It wasn't the tallest mansion, only two stories, but it contained high, vaulted ceilings on the first floor, with four elegant ballrooms of different sizes, an incredible separate dining hall, and an extensive library that would have brought tears to a scholars eyes.
 
What it lacked in height it made up for in floor space, sitting on well over 1.5 acres, and besides the great rooms meant for entertainment, it had a large, spacious kitchen, well-kept servants quarters, and contained over thirty bedrooms on the upper floor. Granted, that was not enough to house the entire court traveling on the summer progress, but it was enough for at least half, and the rest had to come and go in the mornings and evenings, staying overnight in the town a thirty minute carriage ride down the road.
 
But it wasn't the impressive scale of the mansion, or the elegant paintings and tapestries that seemed to line every wall, or the rich velvet curtains that hung around the large, open windows, that managed to impress Kagome. Rather, it was the extensive gardens surrounding the home that made her gasp with delight.
 
Every man to have lived in the mansion throughout the ages had added something to it, something that spoke of his personality and left his mark, and Miroku's addition had been large, sweeping gardens of pear and apple trees, cherry blossoms, and rose bushes that lined every intimate gravel path. The moment Kagome saw them she wanted nothing more than to lose herself amongst the winding trails and never come out, but, to her frustration, before she could do so Sango and Kouga had both politely reminded her of her duties as the Summer Maiden and that, as such, she had to tend to the court before her own needs and desires.
 
“But,” Kouga had promised at the time with a secret smile meant only for her, “I promise to take you walking out there later, Kagome, when the moonlight gives everything an ethereal hue.”
 
Kagome had smiled and cocked her head in a flirtatious manner, something she had picked up in the four months since she had first come to court. “I take it you've been here before, to know that the gardens are beautiful in the moonlight?”
 
He nodded. “Indeed, I have.”
 
“And what lucky lady was on your arm last time?” He had looked shocked, and hastily rushed to assure her there was no one, and had never been anyone, that she was the only woman he wanted, could ever want, had ever wanted, and all she had done was giggle at his reaction.
 
Now, as she moved about, hastily making sure all the dinner preparations, as well as the musicians for the after-dinner entertainment, were prepared, she held onto that memory, as it was the last moment she had known of peace before she had been swept into utter chaos. Up until the arrival at Miroku's, she'd had no job other then riding beside Inuyasha and waving at the pleased crowds of people, but now that there was actual living arrangements to be coordinated, she was at her wits end.
 
As the Summer Maiden, it was her job to not only plan all the meals, but to come up with seating charts for each banquet (there were dozens), successfully moving people to new tables and beside new people so that the court could become well acquainted with itself, organize the evening entertainments, which involved elaborate masques and theatrical productions, and basically run the court like a Queen. This made sense, considering the fact that, when there was a Queen on the throne, it was her responsibility to be the Summer Maiden.
 
“Lady Kagome,” a young lute player with curling brown hair called out, and she turned sharply at the sound.
 
“Yes?”
 
The lad bowed. “Begging your pardon, my lady, I know you're busy, but the other musicians and I were wondering where you would want us to dine this evening before the dancing begins.”
 
Kagome acquired a perplexed expression. “In the dining hall,” she replied, as though it were obvious. “Where else would you go?”
 
He seemed surprised by her reply. “Oh, thank you, my lady, that is very gracious of you.”
 
“Uh…of course,” she said stupidly, not understanding at all his grateful expression. The musicians ate with the people, right? Or had she done something wrong again, like the time when she accidentally seated two families side by side who had been at war with each other for six years?
 
She was so caught up in her thoughts that she didn't even hear Sango approach, already dressed for the evening in a gown of pale green, her long brown hair twisted into a large braid atop her head, encrusted with small emeralds. “The musicians are considered no higher in station then servants,” she whispered in Kagome's ear. “They typically eat in the kitchens with the maids.”
 
Kagome started in surprise, and then blushed. “Oh…”
 
Sango just laughed. “I wouldn't worry about it.”
 
Kagome chuckled. “Easy for you to say; you're not the one everyone is watching for mistakes.”
 
“You're doing fine, Kagome. So wonderful, in fact, that I've heard many of the older men and women saying this is the best summer progress so far in a long time, not since the old Queen was alive.”
 
“The old Queen?” Kagome scrunched up her face in thought. “You mean Inuyasha's mother?”
 
Sango cocked an eyebrow. “Inuyasha? So you're on a first name basis with the King?”
 
Kagome blushed at her mistake. “Well, he's told me repeatedly to call him by his first name, and I have agreed, so long as he calls me by mine as well.”
 
“I see,” the brown-haired woman seemed deep in thought for a moment before blinking and smiling, as though nothing at all was out of the ordinary. “Well, I'd better leave you to get dressed for the banquet. You don't have much time you know.”
 
Groaning, Kagome rolled her eyes in a very unladylike manner. If either her mother or Kikyou caught her doing such a thing, they would scold her incessantly. “I know…but I'm so tired of having to be primped and dressed up all the time. It's really rather exhausting after a while, always changing gowns. A gown for the morning meal, a gown for the afternoon hunt, and a gown for dinner.” She ticked them off on her fingers as she spoke. “Not to mention the gowns that are meant only for Mass on Sundays.”
 
Sango giggled. “Oh come on, Kagome, be honest. Isn't it fun being showered with such gifts? I mean, you practically get a new gown twice a week from your adoring public, not to mention the jewels the King himself has been giving you, as is his duty since he chose you as this years Summer Maiden.”
 
Kagome blushed a deep crimson, almost matching her gown. “It is nice, I suppose, to have such fine things, but…I don't have to have them to be happy.”
 
Sango laughed outright at that and hugged her friend. “I know, stupid…but that doesn't mean that, now you have them, you can't enjoy them! For heaven's sake, Kagome, you don't have to be a perfect angel all the time, always trying to please everyone else. Take a moment and smell the roses, if you get my drift. Enjoy this time when you are the highest lady in the kingdom, for you know it will soon be gone, once your sister is married to the King.”
 
The reminder of Kikyou caused Kagome to frown as a memory crossed her mind.
 
Two days ago, while they had still been traveling on the road, a child had run up and opened his hand to reveal a small tree frog sitting in his palm. He had meant it as a gift, after all to a little boy a frog is a wonderful present, but unfortunately the poor creature was scared out of his mind and ended up jumping up and frightening Kagome's horse. It had reared and nearly thrown her to the ground, but thankfully she had tamed it, and Inuyasha had grabbed the reins to hold the mare's head steady.
 
The mother of the little boy had come running up, fear on her face, and she had fallen down prostrate on the ground while the entire court train stopped to see what would happen…how Kagome would react.
 
“Oh, my lady, please forgive me,” the mother babbled hastily with her head bowed, her knees in the dirt. “He did not know what he was doing. He is but a child. He meant no harm, I swear it.”
 
Kagome had leaned over precariously in her side-saddle and placed her hand gently on the woman's head, causing her to raise her eyes. She had smiled at the woman, and seen her instantly relax. “Good mother, I could never punish a child for simply being young and innocent. He will have to learn soon enough what it means to grow up and become a man, losing his boyhood forever. Let him stay young for as long as possible.”
 
The woman had opened her eyes wide and sighed with relief, hugging her boy close as she rose to her feet. She met Kagome's eyes once more before curtsying as elegantly as she could. “The kingdom is lucky to have such a wonderful woman coming to the throne,” she commented, meaning it as a compliment, but Kagome had blanched white at her mistake. For the first time she realized just how much she was supplanting her sister, and it caused a certain amount of fear to rise within her heart, especially when she saw her sister's face peering out from the carriage, her expression hard and her eyes cold.
 
Shaking her head, she brought herself back to the present. “Yes, that time will come soon enough, and then I will be sent to the North, far away from here.” She sighed and smiled at Sango once more. “But for now, I'd best get ready.” And with that, she walked away, her skirts swishing elegantly in her wake, and no one would ever guess the turmoil within her breast.
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
Kikyou, for the first time since the release of the prisoner Naraku, came to dinner at the side of her husband-to-be, a pleasant, flirtatious look on her face, dressed in a gown of deep scarlet that fitted tightly in the bodice, giving the men a tasty, but still somewhat modest, view of her creamy chest, her sleeves fitted to her arms, as was the common style, a brooch of stunning diamonds around her neck, and diamonds in her elegantly twisted and braided raven-black hair.
 
Everyone stepped back out of respect as the royal couple entered, moving to sit at the head of the large dining table. No one could deny what a handsome couple they made, with Kikyou's stunning beauty and Inuyasha's handsome face and strong personality.
 
Kagome bit her lip as a sharp twinge of jealously stabbed at her heart, watching her sister on Inuyasha's arm as she stood behind a curtain, waiting to make her entrance as the Summer Maiden. Kikyou's head was cocked and her body arched in the perfect image of a flirtatious young woman. Her smile was more like a half-smirk, and as she walked by every single man, even Kouga (Kagome acquired an image of hitting him over the head with a mallet when she saw him), turned his head to view the older Higurashi sister. In that moment there was no question who would be Queen, and who would be banished to the barbaric North to become nothing more than a wisp of a memory.
 
Clenching her fists, Kagome turned away, trying to fight back tears in her eyes. She had known this moment would come, when her sister would move out of her strange depressed state and return once more to the gleam of the limelight…she had never been able to stay away from it very long, even when they were children. She had loathed the summers when she was sent to the family manor in the country for lessons, feeling far away and separated from all that was grand and exciting.
 
“Kikyou…” So, the rivalry would continue still, even when she was secured with a husband and Kagome was to be sent away. Even now she had to upstage her sister, rubbing in her face that she was fiancée to the King, while Kagome was to marry but a lowly vassal.
 
“Kagome, is something wrong?”
 
“Mama!” Kagome blushed and hastily wiped the glistening tears from the corners of her eyes as she turned around, pinching her cheeks to return them to their rosy color, rather then being drawn and pale with sorrow.
 
But the Marquess was not fooled, and smiled that knowing smile of hers as she touched her daughter's cheek. “Oh my dear child,” she spoke softly, soothingly. “She cannot take your place in this world, you know that. You each have your own brightly burning star, and nothing will ever change that.”
 
Kagome shook her head and allowed her feelings to resurface. “You know as well as I, mama, that two bright stars cannot coexist equally. One eventually must outshine the other.”
 
The Marquess shook her head. “That's where you're wrong, Kagome. You each shine in your own way. You are sweet and gentle in a way your sister could never be, and people see that.”
 
“But did being sweet and gentle earn me a crown?” Kagome muttered bitterly, and her mother blinked in surprise.
 
“I didn't know you suddenly craved a crown. Only a few months ago, on our way to court, you didn't want an arranged marriage, you wanted to fall in love on your own, and you claimed that if the man were a pauper you would still marry him.”
 
“Well,” Kagome looked away, back towards the curtain, which was parted just slightly, so that she could see a flash of silver where Inuyasha was sitting on his throne. What had she meant by that? “Perhaps it is not the crown I want, but rather the fact that she has bested me once again that I hate.”
 
The Marquess enfolded her daughter in a warm embrace. “I love you, Kagome…in some ways more then I could ever love Kikyou. Once she left for court, she wouldn't let me love her any more, she was so anxious to grow up and start her own life. But you,” she smiled and kissed Kagome lovingly on the cheek, “Will always be mine. You will always want me around, and we shall always be close.” She pulled back. “I suppose what I'm trying to say is this: don't fear being cast into shadow by her rising position in the world.”
 
“Yes mama,” Kagome replied, trying to put a smile on her face. “Thank you.”
 
Her mother nodded and turned to enter through the curtain. “I'm going to take my seat, and then I want you to enter as the Summer Maiden with your head held high. But more then that, I just want you to be yourself. So long as you never forget who you really are, nothing bad can happen.”
 
Kagome nodded, and the Marquess moved to part the curtain, but paused one last time, turning with a thoughtful expression. “And Kagome?”
 
“Yes?”
 
“I think you'd discover that, without your sister, you would not be as happy as you might think. Her star compliments yours, and yours hers, more then the two of you could ever realize.”
 
Before she could reply, Kagome watched her mother disappear, leaving her alone to make her entrance, nervous, her palms sweaty in anticipation.
 
What had her mother meant by that? She had never said she wished Kikyou dead…far from it…but then, at the same time she wouldn't have been devastated if her sister had a disgraceful fall from society, even if only for a while. At least then she would get a chance to be her own person, and not merely one of the Higurashi sisters.
 
“Oh well,” she muttered as she approached the curtain. “We are what we are.” And with that she stepped into the light of the waiting court, smiles on their faces.
 
The rumble of conversation ceased instantly as the curtain parted, revealing her standing at the end of the long, carpeted path to the head of the table. Normally she entered with her brother, but at formal banquets such as these, while on summer progress, she entered last, completely alone.
 
She watched as Kouga's eyes instantly lit up in approval and joy upon seeing her, and Sango beamed with confidence, trying to give her friend a little boost of energy and support from the crowd of standing people, waiting to take their assigned seats. But the eyes that Kagome inevitably found herself drawn to were deep amber, and at the moment fixated on her.
 
Inuyasha, not for the first time, felt his breath hitch in his throat as he saw Kagome walking towards him. Kikyou had been stunning in her entrance, and even now looked incredible where she sat on his left. She was the spitting image of perfection itself; not a hair out of place, not a wrinkle in her dress. And yet, somehow, in his eyes Kagome, pure, simple Kagome, managed to outshine her in beauty.
 
She wore a dress spun of virgin silver and white, modestly cut at the neck, her long draping sleeves that covered her hands entirely as always catching his attention. He'd noticed, with a secret pleasure, that his mother's old style had started to resurface as the ladies of the court tried to emulate Kagome's gowns.
 
A large string of pearls, which he had presented to her just the week before, were belted at her waist, the double strand falling nearly to her ankles, swishing in time with the folds of her gown. A five-strand choker of pearls was at her neck, pearls hung from her ears, and there was a crown of pearls in her hair, which was piled up on top of her head in curls.
 
She looked every inch the virgin woman.
 
In his eyes, she looked every inch the angel.
 
It was an interesting contrast, Kikyou dressed in the scarlet color of the siren seductress, her gown tight and modern, and Kagome dressed in the color of innocence, her gown loose and old in its design. They were, by far, the most stunning pair he had ever seen in his life. And he groaned in exasperation that they had to be sisters, and had to both be at his court at the same time.
 
The evening went off without a hitch, thanks to Kagome's brilliant planning. There was no masque that particular night; that would occur once they reached the castle of the East. But there was plenty of feasting, and after words much dancing and gaiety, in which Kagome was the center of attention the entire evening, as though Kikyou had been forgotten after her first dramatic entrance.
 
Out of respect for her sister, Kagome only danced with Inuyasha for the opening waltz, as was required by protocol, and then left him to her for the rest of the evening, moving about instead amongst a circle of young men and women who were, for the most part, single and flirtatious.
 
Kikyou watched it all with a passive face, but deep down, the familiar feeling of jealousy stirred within her breast as Kagome smiled and laughed and danced before her, having the time of her life. Even now, when she was on the verge of having everything, of becoming Queen, her younger sister still seemed to be the happier person.
 
Kagome was currently dancing a fast, Spanish-style dance with Kouga, and they both had concentration written all over their expressions as they focused on getting the quick, intricate steps right. But when the dance was done, they both came up laughing, and Kagome, without thinking, threw her arms around his neck.
 
“That was so much fun!” she exclaimed, breathing hard.
 
“Yeah, I've got to hand it to the Spanish; they sure know how to dance.”
 
They both smiled at each other, but suddenly Kagome felt very uncomfortable as she realized how close she was to Kouga's body by the desire that was becoming evident on his face. Still sober enough to not want to be in that situation, Kagome pulled back and gave her fiancé a bright smile. “I'm going for some fresh air; I'll be back in a little while.”
 
“I'll come with you,” he offered, but she put up her hand.
 
“No, that's quite alright; I kind of want to be alone for a little while anyway. After all the planning that goes into these banquets, sometimes I just crave a little solitude.”
 
Kouga seemed hurt for just a moment before recovering and smiling at her with a nod. “Whatever you say; I'll save the last dance for you, my lady.” And with that he bowed elegantly and disappeared into the crowd as Kagome turned and headed for the door that led into the gardens beyond.
 
Kouga had been right to suggest that the moonlight added an ethereal beauty to Miroku's miniature, private Eden. To Kagome, it felt like she was stepping into another world entirely, away from all the fuss and mess of the court, away from the troubles with her sister, and away from the stress of having to pretend all the time. At least here she could sigh and let herself go.
 
The thought caused her to laugh with joy, and she twirled about in large circles down one of the many paths, her arms spread wide and her face turned towards the sky. She hadn't felt so free in months; not since she'd been home at the Higurashi mansion, with nothing more on her mind then racing her brother across her family's sprawling acres of land.
 
Her laughter drew the attention of two individuals, one who had a soft look on his face, the other a passive, appraising stare.
 
Inuyasha was perched on one of the balconies of his grand suite, having left the dancing a few minutes earlier. He had stumbled out into the evening for a breath of fresh air, so pleasant after the stifling crowds and hideous smells of the dancing mob down on the first floor, and had been surprised when he heard laughter, like bells, ringing through the night. Looking down, he had seen none other then Kagome…but at that moment, she was not the Kagome he knew. She was not the simple girl he had come to know in the past several months. The moonlight had transformed her shimmering gown of silver and white into a shower of diamonds, her pearls glistening like droplets of water. Her skin reflected the silver light of the stars, and as she was standing among cherry blossoms and pear trees, surrounded by roses, she seemed like an angel sent to earth for some purpose he had yet to understand.
 
“Kagome…” Her name tumbled off his lips in a silent whisper as he leaned against the balcony rail, trying, as he had done before, to dissect the mystery of this strange woman who always had him either infuriated or entranced by her presence.
 
It wasn't her beauty; Kikyou was equally as beautiful. But then, as he thought about it, perhaps it was her beauty. She was light, and Kikyou was dark. Where one sister was beautiful like the frosty, snow-covered world of a winter morning, the other was as refreshing as a breath of spring air, blossoming with flowers. And while the winter was beautiful to look at, Inuyasha admitted to himself, one was afraid to touch it, for fear of marring its stunning beauty, whereas with spring one never held back from touching the flowers and smelling the roses.
 
A second set of footsteps caught his attention, and his sharp ears swiveled in the direction of the doors leading back into the main dance hall, expecting to see Kouga, that damnable wolf-man, walking out to flatter and woo Kagome just a little more. But what he saw, to his utter surprise, was none other then his fiancée, Kikyou, her scarlet gown, unlike Kagome's, standing out and seeming out of place on such a beautiful night.
 
Kagome, for her part, saw nothing as she continued to skip about the gardens happily, until a shadow passed over one of the trees, and she whirled about in surprise with a gasp. A figure, masked by the night, stood next to an apple tree, and Kagome scrunched up her face to figure out who was there.
 
“It would seem the court favors you now, little sister,” Kikyou commented as she stepped into the moonlight, the diamonds in her hair and around her throat sparkling in a stunning way. She smirked and moved closer.
 
“Kikyou!” Kagome exclaimed, overcoming her surprise. She didn't really know what to say. It was the first time they had been alone since she'd come to court, and, in all honesty, the first time they'd been alone in almost three years. “I…I'm glad to see you back with the King,” she finally commented, unsure of what else to say. “I was worried about you.”
 
“Worried about me?”
 
“Yes! You don't believe me?”
 
Kagome looked hurt, and Kikyou couldn't help but soften her eyes slightly at that. “I believe you, Kagome. It is your way.”
 
“And…you are well?”
 
“As well as I can be.”
 
Nodding, Kagome leaned back against the trunk of a tree, feeling the rough bark underneath her soft fingertips as she thought of what else to say. Finally, she smiled and laughed softly. “You know, this is the first time you have been kind to me since I got here. I…” She stopped.
 
“What?”
 
“I've missed you, Kikyou.”
 
“Missed me?” The scarlet-dressed woman seemed surprised. “Why ever would you miss me?”
 
Kagome blinked. “I should think it was rather obvious.”
 
“Not to me.”
 
“I love you, Kikyou.” It was the stupidest thing she could have said, and yet, it was also the most honest. “You're my older sister, the one who taught me how to sew, who sat with me for hours as I learned to play the violin, smiling all the time, even when I hit a wrong note or, on occasion, broke a string.” She smiled at the memories.
 
“That was a long time ago, Kagome,” Kikyou brushed aside what her sister was saying with a sweep of her hand, though her face suddenly seemed pained, as though she were remembering something she'd rather forget.
 
Kagome took a step forward. “It might have been a long time ago, but that doesn't mean I have forgotten any of it.” She lowered her eyes. “But I suppose that…you have…”
 
Kikyou turned her head and met Kagome's eyes directly, so that they were each looking at near-perfect mirror images of themselves, and for a brief instant, she smiled gently, a trace of the old sister Kagome loved so much appearing. “I have not forgotten, little sister. I never shall.” She straightened her back and looked away once more. “But so much time has gone by since then…things have changed…I have changed.”
 
“Why, Kikyou?” Kagome almost sounded desperate as she moved forward quickly and took her sisters hand in her own. Their skin was the same ivory color. “Why have you changed so much? Why can you not be the sister I once had?”
 
Kikyou shrugged out of Kagome's touch. “It is complicated.”
 
“What is so complicated?” Kagome shrugged her shoulders in frustration. “Why can no one tell me why the sister I loved is gone? Where is the Kikyou I knew? Where is the Kikyou who wrote to me three times a month from court, telling me about all her adventures?” There were tears in Kagome's eyes. “It is like that Kikyou is dead.”
 
“That Kikyou is dead, Kagome, and you would do well to remember that.”
 
But Kagome was shaking her head. “You are not gone, I know you are not. If you were truly gone, you would not have smiled at me just now. If you were truly gone, you would not have come out here to tell me to stay away from your fiancé.” Kikyou flinched, and Kagome knew she had been correct in her suspicions, if only because of the fact that she knew she would have done the same thing if their positions had been switched. That was the way of things…that was what it meant to be sisters. You loved each other, and yet hated each other at the same time.
 
“This conversation is over,” Kikyou spoke softly, and turned on her heel to walk back into the room of happy dancers.
 
“Wait, Kikyou!” Kagome held out her hand in desperation, and watched in satisfaction when the woman stopped. But as their eyes met, suddenly she didn't know what to say any more, so she settled for the oldest phrase a sister could say: “I love you.”
 
Surprisingly, Kikyou, the old Kikyou, flared up for just an instant, her eyes shining with happiness at the sound, at the statement, and her lips formed a perfect smile. “And I you, Kagome, as I always will.” Her face hardened once more. “But that is something that is to be kept between ourselves. In the eyes of the public, we are rivals now.”
 
Kagome tried to laugh. “We have always been rivals, Kikyou, which is nothing new. That never stopped us before.”
 
Kikyou shook her head. “This is different, little sister. Now the stakes are much higher. We are no longer at home, merely competing for father's attention.” And with that, she disappeared, leaving Kagome alone once more to ponder the meaning of her words.
 
The stakes were higher? What stakes? What were they competing for? She had compared it to father's love and attention when they were younger…so who's attention were they competing for now?