InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The King's Mistress ❯ Ancient Rivalry ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: The King's Mistress
 
Author: dolphingirl0113
 
Chapter Eleven: Ancient Rivalry
 
Rating: PG-13 (for language and, at times, implied sexual situations)
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
Kikyou's words haunted me everywhere I went. What had she meant when she said that the stakes were now higher? If she meant the attentions of the court, I certainly had no desire to steal them from her…at least, not intentionally. Of course a part of me hated being bested by her time and time again, but at the same time, she was my sister, and I would never seriously wish her harm or humiliation, no matter what the cost to me. And I don't think she wished that on me either, no matter how estranged we had become.
 
The court continued to move, leaving Miroku's lovely home after only four days of rest. But everyone was looking forward to the fact that our next stop, the home of Bankotsu, King of the East, would provide a two-week break from the endless demands of traveling in such a large caravan.
 
I had heard so many rumors about the eastern part of the kingdom. People said it was immersed in ancient traditions, that it was filled with gold and treasure from long-ago battles, before the kingdom was ever united under the rule of one King.
 
I cared not. All I could think about was the fact that I would now have at least ten banquets to plan, along with a masquerade, not to mention the fact that Bankotsu had already announced that there would be a joust in honor of the marriage of Inuyasha and Kikyou. So while the rest of the court would rest, I would be hard at work, as usual, and what was worse, now I had Kikyou to deal with too, for she had magically emerged from her state of hiding and into the spotlight once more…
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
Kagome was torn, more so then she had ever felt before. Her heart was aching, desperately trying not to hate her sister, and yet at the same time wanting nothing more then to wring Kikyou's perfect little swan-like neck between her fingers.
 
For the week that they had been traveling since leaving Miroku's beautiful abode, the Queen-to-be had been charming everyone at court, bringing them back to her side, so to speak, so that now the people seemed quite confused and unsure of who they should speak to more; the beautiful fiancée of their King, or the equally beautiful Mistress Higurashi, the Summer Maiden.
 
Currently they were moving along down the road in the direction of the home of the Eastern King, Bankotsu, where they were expected to arrive at any time. In fact, some of the younger men and women of the court, to have fun, had placed bets on who could spot the palace towers first, and the game was so contagious that even Kagome had bet two gold coins that she could do it, much to her sister's chagrin.
 
“That's so humiliating, Kagome,” Kikyou commented from where she sat astride her black horse, her skirts of green satin falling down over her legs and completely obscuring her feet as she rode side-saddle. The gown was trimmed in gold velvet, and she wore gold riding gloves and a green hat to match, and looked positively stunning, her posture straight and her chin proudly in the air. “You shouldn't gamble your money with the likes of them, especially when the chances of your winning are so slim.”
 
“That's why it's called a bet, Kikyou,” Kagome reminded kindly, trying to hide her discomfort in the fact that they were riding on either side of Inuyasha, who seemed the most uncomfortable of all, his mouth pressed into a grim line. She shrugged. “No one knows who will win. Besides, you're always betting on cards.”
 
Kikyou lifted her chin slightly and stared ahead as she spoke. “I don't disapprove of gambling once in a while, I think it's quite healthy. What I do disapprove of is gambling on stupid things. If you do that too often, you'll soon be out of money.”
 
Kagome shrugged again. “I can't be that poor. After all, thanks to you I'm going to marry a King.”
 
“Who will be vassal to Inuyasha,” Kikyou reminded firmly, though it was not in a voice that was unkind. Kagome just nodded, her jaw suddenly tense as she held back a rude retort.
 
“Could you both please stop talking as though I'm not right here?” Inuyasha grumbled. “Even without super hearing I could hear you just fine.”
 
Kikyou laughed lightly and touched his arm. “Forgive me, Inuyasha, I wasn't thinking.”
 
Inuyasha looked over at her, and for a moment, as he gazed into her eyes, which were currently warm and brown, he felt his own face soften. Lately she had been acting more and more like the Kikyou he had first met and fallen in love with. Perhaps that truly was her personality, and she had merely gone through a depressed phase in her life the past several months.
 
He certainly hoped that was the case.
 
For her part, Kagome bit her tongue, hard, so that she actually winced in pain, but managed to keep from saying anything she would regret. Even a noise of protest at the sickeningly sweet moment would have been enough to embarrass both the King and her sister, neither of which she wanted.
 
Finally, after several moments that passed in silence, Kikyou resumed speaking, though she had changed the subject of conversation entirely. “My dress is finally finished,” She commented lightly in her usual low, velvety sound. Even Kagome had to admit she had a beautiful voice when she spoke. It was enchanting. And if she thought so, no man stood a chance.
 
“Is that so?” Kagome decided to join the conversation, sick of having to listen and not participate. “What does it look like?”
 
“I've decided to have a very long train, naturally outlined in pearls, for pearls represent the virgin bride.” Kikyou had a starry look on her face as she spoke.
 
“Naturally,” Kagome agreed, her voice fake. “But did you also know that pearls represent tears, and that whenever a lover gives you pearls you will cry once for every pearl on the strand?”
 
It was a strange, morbid comment to make at the moment that a bride was talking about her wedding dress, which was to be worn on the happiest day of her life, and both Inuyasha and Kikyou gave her a strange look, to which she blushed. Why had she said that, anyway? To make Kikyou feel bad?
 
“That doesn't bode well for you then, little sister,” Kikyou retorted, “Since Inuyasha gave you that long strand of pearls that you wore at Miroku's last week.” She raised an eyebrow slightly. “There must have been at least a hundred pearls on that strand.”
 
This time Inuyasha blushed, but Kagome would not back down. “I have nothing to fear, for he is not my lover, nor is he my fiancé, and I am glad of it.”
 
That came out all wrong…
 
“What do you mean by that?” Inuyasha demanded, completely forgetting that Kikyou was next to him.
 
Kagome backtracked, trying to think of a way out of her blunder. Damn…she never had been very good with wit and words. “O-only that you are engaged to my sister, and she seems so happy that I am glad it is she you are marrying and not I.”
 
It was a bogus lie, and they both knew it, especially after that conversation he had heard pass between the two sisters that night at Miroku's, but for Kikyou's sake Inuyasha had to accept it. He crossed his arms even though he was sitting atop his horse, dropping his reins, and Kagome noticed how uncomfortable he looked, reminding her of his comment some time before about wishing he could just run everywhere and forget about etiquette and riding horses.
 
With a sigh, she found herself wishing they could both dismount, and that she could take him up on his offer of carrying her across the fields of his kingdom, the wind in her hair as they laughed together in pure joy…
 
“Keh,” He finally grumbled as he collected his reins once more, shaking her from her thoughts. “Whatever you say.”
 
Another silence stretched between them and Kagome decided that, since it was her fault for causing the tension in the first place, she'd best fix the problem. “You never finished telling me what your dress looks like.”
 
“Perhaps that is because you interrupted me,” Kikyou replied, her voice low and without emotion.
 
Kagome remained calm, though she winced inwardly. She had deserved that, unfortunately. “Nevertheless, I would like to know now. And I apologize for my words a moment earlier.”
 
“Very well. It is to have a modest cut, about to here on the neckline,” She demonstrated something that fell to about halfway down her chest, which was perfect, just above scandalous, but still low enough to make sure everyone remembered she was a woman enjoying the prime of her life. “Which will have a star of pearls in the center, and the sleeves shall be short, while a veil of sorts will finish them off, running down to cuff my wrists.”
 
Despite the fact that they were talking about her wedding day, which brought no joy to Kagome because it meant she would leave for the North with Kouga, she found herself growing excited nonetheless, and smiled. “And what about the veil? Shall it be large and long? And your hair…what will you do with your hair?”
 
Kikyou smiled slightly, feeling the contagious happiness of her sister, and met Kagome's younger, more naïve gaze with her own dark brown eyes, for once nothing but kindness on her face. “The veil will be short, only to cover my face, and my hair shall be curled very tightly and pulled back behind my head so that I may wear the crown when it is placed on my head.”
 
Kagome sighed dreamily, picturing it all in her mind. “And what will the crown look like? Will it be full of diamonds and jewels?”
 
Inuyasha grunted before the older woman could respond, as though to laugh or say something mocking, but bit his tongue when Kikyou sent him a meaningful look.
 
It was almost funny to see, the way he obeyed her silent commands without question. Funny…and sickening.
 
He was the King, Kagome thought to herself…he should obey no one but himself.
 
Looking back at Kagome, Kikyou smiled again, though it was slight once more, nothing like the bright, shining laughter she had once exuded when she was younger, and the thought caused Kagome to sink slightly in her saddle. How she hated constantly being reminded of how much Kikyou had changed.
 
“I actually am allowed to design my own crown,” Kikyou explained. “And I intend to have it be something like a circlet, not a full crown, though the front will be adorned with diamonds.” She tilted her head thoughtfully. “And perhaps I'll have some rubies in the center too.”
 
Kagome grinned excitedly. “Oh, you should. Just think of the contrast. The crown should be outlined in gold, but then diamonds should fill everything in, save for the middle, which could instead be a giant ruby! After all, red is your favorite color…”
 
“That is true, I hadn't thought of it that way before…”
 
Kagome smiled brightly, and Inuaysha found that he could no longer hold back his tongue. “You know, for someone who has grown up in the country, you certainly have expensive tastes.”
 
Blushing, Kagome sent him a glare. “So what if we do?”
 
He grunted. “I wasn't talking about Kikyou, I know she likes expensive things.” He smirked. “I was referring to you, Lady Kagome.”
 
“What's so wrong with the fact that I like nice things?” Kagome couldn't hide the flush of fury on her cheeks, her eyes flaring. Inuyasha thought that made her only look more beautiful…in an exotic, wild sort of way.
 
“Aren't you the one who told me not too long ago that you sometimes wished you could be a milkmaid and marry a poor farmer?” There was a cocky smirk on his face, and Kagome wanted nothing more then to smack him for it, though she stilled her hand by balling it into a tight fist, her knuckles turning white.
 
“That doesn't mean I don't enjoy fine things, Inuyasha,” she calmly replied, to which Kikyou raised her eyebrows.
 
“It's about time you said something like that,” she commented smoothly. “Honestly, the fact that you're still spouting that silly story about marrying a farmer at all amazes me. I thought you would have outgrown that silly notion long ago.”
 
“You mean she's always felt that way?” Inuyasha asked, and Kikyou nodded so that together they looked like conspirators in a plot to make Kagome feel humiliated. The thought enraged her.
 
“It's not silly to wish to marry for love!” She burst out so that the nearest court members behind her heard and stopped momentarily to see what was going on, though they quickly returned to their own business when Kagome lowered her voice. “And it disgusts me that you two would mock a young woman like me for dreaming of such things.”
 
For an instant Inuyasha actually looked guilty for what he had said, but he quickly covered it with a roll of his eyes. “Please, you're too sensitive if you've been offended by something so little as what I said. If you are to be a lady of my court, you'd best learn to bite your tongue and let things roll off your back.”
 
“Who are you to order me about and tell me what to do?” Kagome snapped back before she realized what she was saying.
 
Inuyasha looked dumbstruck, but only for a moment, before his amber eyes hardened. “Lets get something clear: I'm your King, Kagome Higurashi, and as such you will do as I say. Just because you are Kikyou's sister does not mean you have rights that set you above everyone else.” He glanced at the older Higurashi woman before looking back at Kagome again. “And remember this: when she is Queen, you will obey her as well.”
 
Kagome realized, in surprise, that he was referring to that moment in the gardens when they'd first met and she had so adamantly insisted that she would never fall suppliant before her sister. How dare he throw that back in her face! And he looked so damn arrogant doing it, too!
 
“Forgive me, Your Majesty,” she ground out between her clenched teeth, surprising both Kikyou and Inuyasha, who quickly seemed to fall off his high horse…figuratively speaking, though she wished it was literally. “I shall do my best to remember my place from now on.” And with that she backed her horse up in the direction of Miroku, Sango, Kouga, Hojo, and Shippou, who was riding happily along on his own little pony.
 
“Where are you going, woman?” Inuyasha snapped, his eyes narrowing in frustration, clearly not understanding why she had reacted the way she had.
 
“I'm returning to my proper place,” she replied as sweetly as she could, though it was sickening because it sounded so fake.
 
“Your place is up here…with me!” He hissed, clearly not caring that he was making a scene. But then, he didn't seem like the kind of person who cared about his own reputation anyway.
 
Kagome shook her head and gave him a pointed glare. “On the contrary Your Majesty, my place is behind you, with the other suppliants. You should be allowed to ride alone with your future Queen.”
 
“You stubborn little wench!” He shouted suddenly, shocking everyone, and as one the entire court seemed to suck in its breath, waiting for the other shoe to fall. But it never did.
 
Kagome simply looked away and muttered, so low that only Inuyasha, with his sharp hanyou ears, could hear, “Baka.”
 
His back instantly straightened, but all he did was glare at her again before turning around and riding faster so that he and Kikyou put some distance between themselves and the rest of the court.
 
Fighting back tears, Kagome tried desperately to ignore the fact that at that moment Kikyou and Inuyasha looked like the perfect royal couple, Inuyasha dressed in his usual white, long sleeved shirt and black pants and Kikyou in her gown of emerald green. He was handsome, she was beautiful, and they both had tongues that could be sharp as a snake bite.
 
But it wasn't that fact that caused her heart to break. It was his cruel reminder that one day she would be forced to bow before her sister that had crushed her. She had thought they were forming a bond, a mutual friendship, that was setting her apart from Kikyou in his eyes, but now, after that comment, she realized that the only thing he saw her as was someone against who he could compare his wife-to-be. That's all she would ever be…a measuring stick.
 
And compared to Kikyou, it seemed she would never measure up.
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
Sesshoumaru watched as the figure below him stormed away furiously, the gates of the castle closing forcefully behind him. The winds had picked up, and so Naraku's hair was blowing wildly about as he moved further and further into the open plains of the West, but Sesshoumaru felt no guilt over that, for he had offered the man shelter for the night, which the fool had stupidly refused.
 
The meeting had not gone well at all. Sesshoumaru had, of course, refused his offer to help bring down his brother, and Naraku, arrogant bastard that he was, had the gall to call Sesshoumaru a coward.
 
Sesshoumaru, a coward! No one called him that and lived.
 
A soft hand came to rest on his shoulder, and the demon lord turned from watching the retreating figure of the former felon to gaze into the steady, warm brown eyes of his wife, Rin, who was looking at him with concern. At her touch, he could feel the tension in his shoulders melting like the soft butter made from goat's milk, and without meaning to he allowed a sigh to escape his lips.
 
“My lord,” she commented in her low, sweet voice, “Are you alright?”
 
He nodded and turned to move towards his closet, where he removed the heavy cloak of state from around his shoulders and hung it on an ivory peg, leaving him clothed only in a thin white shirt and baggy blue pants, making it all the more obvious that he was missing his left arm.
 
Rin observed her husband calmly, knowing this was not a moment to push him to speak about his feelings, instead relying on her knowledge of his personality to gage what was going on inside his head.
 
His posture was erect, his face was set in a stern expression, and his one arm was tight, which to her eyes meant he was livid. And she couldn't blame him.
 
Sesshoumaru, Lord of the West, was the strongest, noblest man she had ever met, and that was why she loved him. He had lived through more then she would ever see in her lifetime, even though she had adopted his lifespan the moment he had marked her as his.
 
He had fought with his father, Inutaisho, in the war that had united the four corners of the kingdom, losing his right arm in the process, and had been declared a lord in his own right long before his half-brother Inuyasha had even been born. He had endured the shame of being passed over for the throne on the day Myouga had read his father's will, and had even been strong enough to take the risk of shaming himself by marrying a human woman.
 
Yes, he was indeed the strongest man she had ever known and, in Rin's eyes, the most handsome man alive.
 
And yet, somehow, the man called Naraku had found the gall to call him a coward that night…
 
Furious as she'd been when the man had insulted her husband, Rin had stepped forward brashly and commanded that Naraku show more respect for the lord of the west. But unfortunately, that had only made matters worse as the freed convict had then proceeded to call her a puny woman, and accuse Sesshoumaru of hiding behind the skirts of his wife.
 
That had been the final straw.
 
Rin knew that there were only two things her husband would not stand for; an insult to himself, and an insult to his wife. He had endured both that night, and yet, somehow, had managed to keep from killing Naraku right then and there. And Rin knew that had taken every ounce of his self-control.
 
“He is a dangerous man,” she finally commented, glancing towards the balcony where the demon lord had been standing a minute ago. “What do you want to do about him?”
 
Sesshoumaru seemed to relax, albeit slightly, under the sound of her voice, and he looked at her directly. “He has to be dealt with,” he stated simply.
 
“I know that, my lord, but how? He is not someone to be taken lightly.”
 
Sesshoumaru nodded. “Indeed he is not.” He crossed over to their giant canopy bed and sat down, keeping his posture straight as an arrow. “I must warn my brother.”
 
“Inuyasha?” Rin had to admit that surprised her. The brothers hardly spoke to each other, unless they had to. There was no love lost between them. “You fear for his life then?”
 
The demon lord made a sound close to a grunt of disgust, though it was barely audible. “Of course not. I care not what that hanyou does with his time, nor what becomes of him. But I will not allow the kingdom that my father worked so hard to unite and hold together be torn apart by one foolish, jealous man.”
 
Rin nodded, understanding. As always, he was willing to put aside his differences in order to defend his father's pride and honor, though she knew the demon lord still somewhat resented his sire for having passed over him in the line of succession.
 
“So you noticed that to?” She finally asked. “You noticed that he seems to have an unhealthy obsession with Inuyasha's fiancée, Kikyou?”
 
“Of course I noticed,” he replied in a sharp tone, clearly not in the mood for a long discussion that night.
 
Rin bowed her head in acceptance, not even feeling the urge to rise against his short temper. She was used to it by now, recognizing that it was all simply a part of the man she loved so much. “So you will write to him?”
 
“Yes.” Sesshoumaru glanced again towards the balcony, where the wind was now blowing the curtains about wildly. “Whatever else is going on between us, Inuyasha must be warned of this new threat.”
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
Bankotsu's palace was indeed awe-inspiring. It had the feeling that it was ancient, that many ghosts haunted its hallways. But more then that, it had the feeling of power, as though to say that it could withstand anything if it had already managed to withstand the passing of time.
 
Four stories high and sitting on about two acres, with approximately fifty acres of land stretching out behind and around it, leaving only the front, covered in houses that made up a sizeable town, it was an impressive sight. It was made out of stone, in the old way, and not out of marble and brick, as was the new custom, and the moment one entered through the large iron gates one was greeted on all sides by roses and apple and pear trees. Though it was not extensive, like the gardens at Miroku's home, it was nonetheless impressive, and Kagome couldn't help but smile in appreciation.
 
Trumpets sounded, announcing their presence, and immediately the large doors of the palace were thrown open and out marched two rows of knights, their shields bearing the symbol of the East, which was a white rose.
 
It was customary for each individual division of the overall kingdom to have its own symbol, though they were all similar in some way so that, if the country were to go to war, their enemies would know they were comrades in arms. As such, the East carried the white rose, the North carried the yellow rose, the South carried the pink rose, and the West carried the red rose. Then, for the knights who served the King of all, their shields had roses whose petals were a mixture of all four colors, to demonstrate unity.
 
The knights marched out in impressive fashion, stopping an equal distance apart and leaving a long, wide aisle where two young boys appeared with a gold cloth that they rolled out to cover the ground, a third tiny girl following behind scattering rose petals of all colors. Clearly this was a ceremony that had been rehearsed many times.
 
Following the girl came several lavishly dressed men, who must have been dignitaries of the court of the East, their fingers and clothes adorned with jewels. Obviously, Kagome thought to herself ruefully, the reputation that the Easterners were vain and lovers of treasure were not unfounded.
 
Finally, after what seemed like an eternity of waiting, in which time Kagome noticed Inuyasha beginning to fuss despite the fact that his fiancée, Kikyou, was completely calm, looking every inch the Queen she would be one day, the trumpets sounded again, in a slightly different tune, and all the knights instantly stood at attention.
 
A solitary man appeared, though several yards behind him came five others. He wore a robe of white outlined in blue, a crown of gold atop his head with a large amethyst in the center, just above his forehead. His stride was confident, making his already tall frame and broad shoulders seem gigantic, and Kagome couldn't help but allow her mouth to fall open slightly in awe.
 
He was incredibly handsome, with long black hair that was pulled into a long braid down his back, his dark eyes sharp and intelligent, peering out of a chiseled face set off by slightly tan skin. And even though his uniform was somewhat loose, Kagome could almost envision in her mind the corded muscles contracting as he walked.
 
Indeed, he looked every inch a King…almost more so then Inuyasha. It was hard to believe he was the hanyou's suppliant.
 
“King Inuyasha,” the man said, sweeping wide with his arm to gesture towards the palace behind him, “I welcome you to my home. As always, it is an honor to have you visit.”
 
Inuyasha nodded curtly. “Bankotsu,” he murmured in acknowledgement, leaping from his horse with impressive agility, though he still managed to seem awkward. The moment his feet touched the ground everyone in the courtyard, including the knights, made an elegant bow, only rising when Bankotsu himself did.
 
The Eastern King smiled, and while it was a calculating smile, it still seemed friendly enough, and Kagome couldn't help but notice how perfect his teeth were. “You remember my brothers, do you not?” He indicated the five men behind him, who inclined their heads out of respect.
 
“Of course,” was all Inuyasha said in reply. Clearly these two were not good friends, but not enemies either. They were just men who knew they had to deal with one another, and accepted that fact with as much grace as they could.
 
Bankotsu looked around with a composed expression before his eyes came to rest on Kikyou, one of his eyebrows rising slightly, though otherwise he showed no inclination towards a reaction. “This must be your soon-to-be Queen, Kikyou Higurashi…am I right?”
 
Inuyasha nodded and offered his hand, which Kikyou accepted as she gracefully descended from her mount, her skirts swaying seductively. Kagome felt herself turn as green as her sisters dress as she watched. Oh, what she would have given to have such natural beauty and elegance.
 
“Kikyou,” Inuyasha began, sounding much more formal and mature then usual, showing Kagome that he could, when he wanted to be, be quite diplomatic, “May I present Bankotsu, King of the East. Bankotsu, this is my fiancée, Kikyou.”
 
Kikyou swept an elegant, low curtsy, her head bowed in respect until she rose to her feet again, at which point she switched over into her more flirtatious mode, her eyes challenging, her posture erect, and her chin proudly in the air. “Pleased to meet you, Your Grace,” she commented formally.
 
Bankotsu took her hand and bowed before looking her square in the eye. “The same to you, my lady.” Then, in a surprise action, the young King turned his gaze directly on Kagome, who shifted about uncomfortably in her seat, her body heating up under his handsome stare. “And you must be Kagome Higurashi,” He guessed, “Kikyou's sister, and the chosen Summer Maiden for this year.”
 
Kagome blushed, not sure of what she was supposed to do, and hating the fact that every eye was on her, waiting to see what she would say. “I am, Your Grace,” she replied simply.
 
She thought he would be satisfied with that, but instead he walked over to her horse and, in a surprise action, offered her his hand, just as Inuyasha had done with Kikyou a moment before. She stared at it stupidly, as though she couldn't quite fathom the concept that the King of the East was offering her assistance. She was a nobody, after all, unlike her sister, who had not even received such an offer.
 
When she didn't respond for several silent seconds, Bankotsu raised an eyebrow. “May I help you down from your horse, my lady?”
 
“What?” Kagome blinked back to the present moment. “Oh, yes, of course Your Grace.” A furious blush now painted her cheeks, and Kagome saw, out of the corner of her eye, Kikyou look upward in exasperation.
 
But Bankotsu looked kind as he helped her down, so much so that Kagome thought she even glimpsed a slight twinkle of amusement in his dark, mysterious eyes as her feet touched the ground, and suddenly that was all that mattered.
 
By God, she thought, he had been blessed in appearance. She wondered exactly how many women had fallen prey to his charm, considering the fact that she was already trembling in his presence.
 
A slight jingle resounded from a small pouch at her waist as her feet touched the ground, and she couldn't help but smile slightly in triumph. She had won the bet from earlier by spotting the castle first, and was now five gold coins richer.
 
Copying her sister's example, Kagome curtsied, though hers was not nearly as deep nor as elegant as Kikyou's had been, before rising stiffly and gazing at him steadily, no hidden motive behind her look. No challenge. No flirtation. Just a simple, honest stare.
 
“I am honored to have you at my court, Mistress Higurashi,” Bankotsu murmured as he bowed, though this time he actually lightly brushed his lips against her hand. Kagome felt her cheeks flame. He hadn't done that for Kikyou either!
 
“The…um…the honor is mine, Your Grace,” she stammered stupidly, to which he chuckled, rising once more to his full height, which towered over her own, surprising her again as he looped her arm through his and started walking back towards Inuyasha and Kikyou, who both had surprised looks on their faces.
 
Kagome cast a wayward glance back at her friends, who all shrugged their shoulders, clearly not any more knowledgeable about what she should do then she was herself. That was certainly not encouraging.
 
Bankotsu once more came to the side of Inuyasha and nodded, his mouth curved up into a slight smirk. “Inuyasha, you never told me how beautiful the sister of your fiancée was. Of course the Lady Kikyou is renowned throughout the land for her attractive features, but the Lady Kagome, well, I'm disappointed I have not heard more of her.”
 
Now the blush on Kagome's cheeks was one of shame. Not that she had expected to be important enough to have a national reputation, but still, it hurt nonetheless to hear about how well known Kikyou was while she, as always, seemed to be in the shadows, just out of the spotlight.
 
“With all due respect, Lord Bankotsu,” Kikyou interjected calmly, “My sister has hardly been at court more then five months. You cannot expect for her to be so well known in such a short period of time.”
 
“Why not? She is certainly beautiful enough.” He glanced at Kagome and seemed to suddenly think of something. “I know what I should like. I should like very much for Lady Kagome to be my partner in all the dances at the banquets these next few weeks.”
 
A gasp rushed through the crowd like a unified hiss of surprise, and even Kagome felt her eyes open wide in shock. What had he said? Surely she had not understood him correctly.
 
Inuyasha, surprisingly, had a glare on his face now, something that was anything but diplomatic. “As the Summer Maiden Kagome has to dance with as many people as possible,” he commented icily. “Surely you know this.”
 
Bankotsu raised an eyebrow at the hanyou's suddenly icy demeanor, but seemed to brush it aside. “Of course, forgive me for such a mistake. Then perhaps she and I might share the lead dance?”
 
“It is protocol that she shares that with me,” Inuyasha replied, again as icy as a winter morning. Even Kikyou seemed surprised by his reaction.
 
Kagome, however, was neither surprised nor shocked, but rather she was beginning to feel very upset. Never in her life did such a handsome man, let alone a King, ask her to dance, and now her sister and Inuyasha both had the gall to answer on her behalf! She would not stand for it!
 
“Begging your pardon,” she suddenly interjected sweetly, causing everyone to once more sweep their gazes in her direction, “But I believe it is my choice who I do and do not dance with.” Inuyasha was glaring at her now, though she tried desperately to ignore it…tried desperately to not let it bother her.
 
Bankotsu smirked in amusement. “But of course, my lady. Forgive me for being so rude as to go over your head with my requests.”
 
Looking first at him and then at Inuyasha, she suddenly felt calm. Anger had a way of doing that to her, for some strange reason. “While of course I shall honor my duties to dance with both the King and, as always, with my betrothed, I would still be honored to dance with you, my lord,” she nodded her head in acknowledgement, and he smiled genuinely at that.
 
“I thank you, my lady,” he replied. “And perhaps you would be interested in allowing me to show you the extent of my home during your stay? I believe you will find it quite to your liking.”
 
Kagome sighed. “I find many places to my liking, my lord, however nothing can compare with my home.” Realizing how that sounded, and catching a sharp disapproving glance from Kikyou, Kagome decided to add, “But of course, I'm sure your home is lovely.”
 
Bankotsu waved her last comment aside. “Don't feel the need to cover your honesty with petty words, Lady Kagome.” He pulled her with him back towards the palace, the rest of the court taking that as a sign that they could dismount. Once they were a safe distance from the main crowds, the young King glanced at her again and smiled. “I prefer you sincere.”
 
Kagome blushed profusely yet again, but this time with pleasure. Never before had she actually been praised for being honest, rather then witty and skillful with words like a courtier should be. It felt strangely…nice.
 
But her happy mood was ruined when she glanced back over her shoulder to see Inuyasha, Kikyou, and the others following. While Kikyou had a perfect mask of pleasantness on her face, Inuyasha looked downright livid as he glared at Bankotsu's back, but more then that, she could have sworn she saw a flicker of hurt cross his face whenever he glanced at her. Why on earth would that be?
 
Why on earth would he care what she did?