InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The King's Mistress ❯ The Joust ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Author's Notes: I've been receiving the same questions from several different people, so I figured I'd just answer them for all to see, in case anyone else thought of the same thing. And by the way, this isn't me upset…I'm just trying to save us all extra time and confusion. Thanks!
 
Why is Kagome so blind? Kagome's not blind, the way I interpret it is that she's deliberately putting up barriers, because the alternative is too frightening for her to consider. Back then the relationship between sisters, while strained most of the time, was still sacred, and the concept of one stealing a man from another was despicable (even though it did, in all honesty, happen all the time). Since Kagome is, as usual, selfless and wanting the best for everyone but herself in most cases, she's trying to be blind in order to avoid seeing the truth, because, as you all know, once the feelings come to the surface, she can't push them aside; she's too honest for that.
 
Why isn't there more of a Miroku/Sango romance? Here's my thing; in the series they have a pretty sizable role, but, unfortunately, in some plot lines it's just too hard to make them major characters, so they're minor characters in this plot. That means you won't never hear about them, but at the same time there won't be too many scenes focused around just them either. Be that as it may, however, I still say watch for the romance, because it's there (like in this chapter…hint, hint).
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
Title: The King's Mistress
 
Author: dolphingirl0113
 
Chapter Twelve: The Joust
 
Rating: PG-13 (for language and, at times, implied sexual situations)
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
In the time I spent at his home, I was utterly and completely swept away on the waves of charm that I was given courtesy of my lord Bankotsu. Never before in my life had such a handsome man paid so much attention to me, lavishing me with gifts and small trinkets, taking me hunting almost every day, dancing with me at night. At the masque I had arranged he had come up and chosen me as his partner for nearly half the evening, and for all I knew the ground beneath my feet had become air.
 
He dazzled me. He courted me. He wooed me. And the best thing was we both knew it was all in good fun, for while I was betrothed he had sworn not to marry before he was thirty, and as of yet he was only twenty-five.
 
Never fear, I had no foolish notions that I was in love with him. I was young, but not stupid. But what girl wouldn't be completely swept off her feet by such a man? Oh, and such a man he was. Every inch of him was male, from his strong arms to his long black hair to his deep, probing and intelligent eyes…
 
I swear a blush comes to my cheeks even now as I reflect back on those marvelous two weeks when I got to know the Eastern King. To this day he is a good friend, despite what my husband thinks of him, and had I not had my morals, and he his manners, I do believe neither of us would have hesitated to start some sort of love affair. After all, it is quite natural that there is often attraction between two people, but not love. In fact, if that weren't the case, if attraction was considered the same as love, people would be in love far too often.
 
Needless to say, those two weeks were the happiest of the entire summer, for had I a crystal ball at the time I would have seen how steeply down hill everything would have gone from there on out. Alas, none of us have such a gift of foresight, though we may wish for it with all our hearts…
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
Kagome winced as the laces around her corset tightened just a little more, her breath coming out in a hiss. “I think that's enough,” she squeaked.
 
Her maid, a young brunette by the name of Yuka, shook her head and frowned. “Not even close, my lady. That dress is exactly eighteen inches, and you're still at nineteen.”
 
“What?” Kagome wanted to faint. “You mean I have to cut out a whole inch yet?”
 
“Afraid so, my lady.”
 
Kagome wanted to cry. “This is impossible. Perhaps we should just forget about the dress and I'll wear my yellow gown instead.”
 
Yuka shook her head again. “You promised his lordship, King Bankotsu, that you would wear the dress he had made for you, and so you shall. One inch isn't so bad…after all, Lady Kagome, I haven't even come close to cinching up the strings yet. They've still got at least three inches of give to them.”
 
Rolling her eyes, Kagome grabbed on to her oak bedpost and held tight. “The fact that any woman would allow her corset strings to go that tight is pathetic,” she muttered before sucking in her breath once more while Yuka worked with quick practice, cinching the laces up just that much tighter.
 
“This isn't so bad, Lady Kagome,” she commented kindly, trying to make light of the situation.
 
But Kagome was ready to snap. She could already feel the wiring in the uncomfortable contraption biting through her shift and rubbing against her skin, her head spinning lightly, as though on a cloud, from lack of oxygen, her lungs groaning in protest against the restricting garment. And she would have to wear this all day. “I hate corsets, Yuka,” she hissed, “Which is the reason why I never wear them.”
 
“Well it's your own fault for promising to wear that dress in the first place.”
 
“What was I supposed to do? Tell him I was too big for it? That my waist was three inches too wide?”
 
Yuka shrugged. “That seems like the obvious response to me.”
 
“But…” Kagome closed her mouth before finishing her reply, realizing she was beginning to sound like a true courtier, worrying about having to admit to a King that perhaps her figure wasn't as perfect as she'd like it to be…not that she really had a body to complain about, but still…
 
Bankotsu had come bounding down the stairs the other day with a blue gown laced with white velvet in his hands, along with a matching blue cap, and he had excitedly announced to Kagome that he'd ordered it made for her the moment he first saw her riding into the palace gardens. He said he meant it to be his going away present to her, and hoped that she would wear it to the joust on the final day of their stay in his kingdom.
 
It hadn't occurred to her at the time, when she'd sworn to wear it, that it might not fit because he'd gone by looks alone, and not by measurements, as a true tailor would. But then, to her horror, when she'd went to try it on it was so snug every line on her body became visible from the waist up, and her breasts had been pushed up so uncomfortably she'd looked like a woman from the whorehouse. That was when Yuka had suggested she wear the corset.
 
“Come on, my lady, up you go,” Yuka commanded, and Kagome reluctantly rose back to her feet and gripped the post.
 
“How much more now, Yuka?” She was afraid to hear the answer.
 
“Only about half an inch, my lady. You can manage that, no problem. Women who've had children can get their waists smaller then yours with these things, so you'll be just fine.”
 
Several pulls, grunts, and hisses of pain later Kagome was standing up and admiring herself in the mirror, the blue dress now on and, pleasantly, fitting just perfectly, as though she had been made for it. But she swore she would have it altered the moment they left the East, because she was never going through this experience with the corset again.
 
The gown was a beautiful color, almost like the sky at dusk, before the sun is completely gone and only the brightest stars can be seen. The sleeves were designed just the way she liked them, long and draping over her hands and fingers, and the waistline was accented by white velvet, as was the outline of the neck, drawing attention to her curvaceous form. She placed a strand of large pearls around her neck, looping the strand once to hug tightly to her skin while letting the second loop fall loosely down her chest so that it drew attention to her otherwise modest cleavage, making it daring, but still very much appropriate.
 
Twirling, Kagome giggled happily. “Oh, I suppose it was worth it, in the end. The dress is wonderful.”
 
Yuka nodded. “Yes, it is, but you'd best get going or you'll miss the joust altogether, and then your suffering will have been in vain.”
 
Kagome laughed at that, but allowed her friend to rush her out the door and into the hallway, where she immediately turned proper, her posture straightening, her face acquiring a pleasant, but simple courtier expression, her hands folded neatly at her waist.
 
Several women and men greeted her as she walked by, complimenting her on her new gown, and a few of the younger, more ambitious ladies even cast an envious eye on her swaying figure as she passed. This caused her to unwittingly raise her head just a little higher, knowing it was common knowledge throughout the court that she was the favorite of Bankotsu, and the chosen Summer Maiden of Inuyasha. In all her life she had lived in the shadows of her older sister, so now, for just one magical summer, she was going to enjoy the limelight before she was sent to live in the North for the rest of her life.
 
It was not difficult to find the arena where the jousting would take place, since there was a tremendous amount of noise coming from that direction, including the sounds of clanking armor, neighing horses, and loud conversation. Everyone recognized her immediately, and Kouga was instantly at her side, taking her hand in his.
 
“Kagome, you look so beautiful!” he complimented, though his voice was somewhat constricted by his heavy metal armor.
 
Kagome giggled and bowed elegantly before placing a hand on the wolf man's shoulder fondly. “Thank you, my lord. And you certainly look dashing, like a true knight.”
 
Kouga would have said more, but they were interrupted by the sound of trumpets, followed by the arrival of Inuyasha, dressed in his own armor, Bankotsu, who would not be competing, and Kikyou, dressed in the royal colors of purple and gold. Kikyou merely nodded to her sister in a way that was neither rude nor friendly, but both Kings stopped to admire the younger Higurashi woman with approval.
 
“Kagome! You look radiant!” Bankotsu took her hand and helped her twirl about once for him to observe her more closely. Then he pulled her up so she was practically touching his chest with her face, looking deep into her eyes with a teasingly seductive gaze. “You look good enough to eat.”
 
Her body was on fire from the attraction to the handsome young man holding her hand, and Kagome blushed and smiled. “Then I shall be extra sweet today, my lord, for no man wants to eat a sour dish.”
 
Bankotsu laughed at her coquettish response, but Inuyasha simply continued to stare before raising an eyebrow thoughtfully. “Where did you get that dress?”
 
Kagome looked at him in surprise. “My lord Bankotsu gave it to me,” she winked at the man in question. “It's his going away present to me.”
 
“So you're accepting gifts from him now too?” Inuyasha looked hurt, but then straightened his shoulders and walked passed her, but not before muttering, “Most disgraceful for a woman who is engaged to be married.”
 
Kagome stiffed as though someone had cracked a whip across her back, her eyes blazing. If they had not been in a public place…oh, she didn't even want to think about the things she wanted to do to him at that moment.
 
“Pay him no mind, Kagome,” Bankotsu offered in consolation, “After all, he is not the one you are to marry, Kouga is, and he does not have a problem with anything that you are doing.” As though to accent his point, he indicated the wolf man, who was currently settling in on his mount, waving at her and smiling. It seemed that Kouga was only protective when it came to Inuyasha.
 
Kagome smiled back in gratitude. “You're right, of course.” She shrugged and tried to forget the hurt look she had seen a moment ago in the hanyou's eyes, glancing up at the royal box where she, Kikyou, and the other ladies of nobility would be sitting to watch the joust. “I'll go take my seat now.”
 
The box was full of elegant mahogany chairs lined with velvet seats and backs, curtains draped around the outer rim so that the women could be shaded, though Kagome still had her fan to cool her face, as did, she observed, Kikyou.
 
“Good day, sister,” Kagome acknowledged pleasantly, her mood at that moment too bright to say anything else. She had no desire to be cruel or witty with Kikyou, even though the older Higurashi sister seemed to be in that mood all the time.
 
Kikyou inclined her head and smiled slightly from where she sat in her bejeweled chair, the place of honor for the fiancée of the King. “Good day, Kagome. Won't you take a seat?” She indicated the chair next to her, equally fine, but slightly smaller.
 
“Of course,” Kagome walked over and, sweeping her skirts away from her elegantly, sat down, folding her hands in her lap, her fan dangling loosely from her fingers where she held it by a string.
 
She felt Kikyou's eyes and turned to see her sister observing her critically before nodding in approval. “That is a lovely dress, Kagome. I assume Bankotsu gave it to you, since I have never seen it before.”
 
“Yes, it is.” Kagome smiled. “It was quite considerate of him to make the dress in the colors of the Higurashi family. I have so few gowns in blue and white.”
 
Kikyou eyed her as though she would read her mind before looking back at the currently empty arena, the cheaper seats filling up rapidly with spectators. “It would seem I made a mistake,” she finally commented casually, and Kagome looked at her with puzzlement.
 
“I beg your pardon?”
 
“It would seem I engaged you to the wrong man, Kagome. You have been much more flirtatious with Lord Bankotsu in these past two weeks then you have been with Kouga in all the months that you've known him.”
 
Kagome blushed, but kept her head high out of a sense of pride. “Bankotsu…intrigues me. And besides, I am not married yet, sister. I think it is not inappropriate for me to have some fun.”
 
Kikyou raised an eyebrow thoughtfully. “I didn't know you were interested in that kind of fun, Kagome.”
 
Her blush turned more furious as Kagome began to fidget with her hands. “I'm not…at least, not in the way you think. But no man has ever treated me that way before, so you cannot blame me for being curious and wanting to explore the situation fully before we leave.”
 
Kikyou smiled slightly at that, as though amused. “I suppose that's true. I forget, sometimes, that you have only been at court for five months, because you are so old in age. Naturally you would be curious to experience everything before you are married and can no longer behave in such a manner.”
 
It was the kindest thing Kikyou had said since their conversation in the gardens back at Miroku's home, and Kagome felt her heart warm slightly. Her sister was a strange woman now. At times she seemed absolutely heartless, and at others it was like she had never changed at all, and was still the kind, loving young woman that Kagome had so adored growing up.
 
At that moment Sango made her appearance and took the empty seat beside Kagome, smiling broadly. “Good day, my lady Kikyou,” she commented formally before glancing at Kagome and giggling. “Good day, Kagome.”
 
“Hello Sango,” Kagome replied, noticing that the first of the jousters were entering the arena as a large board went up listing the initial pairings. “At last we're getting started…I thought we were going to have to sit up here for hours.”
 
“We will,” Kikyou replied calmly, looking at Kagome as though she were stupid. “How long do you think it takes to work through all the matches and declare a winner?” Kagome blushed and looked away, forgetting the warm feelings she'd had a moment ago.
 
Sango put her hand on Kagome's and raised her eyebrows suggestively. “So, which lucky gentleman will get your favor?”
 
“What?”
 
“Your favor,” Sango indicated the scarf Kagome had tied around her waist. “Which gentleman will wear it today in the joust?”
 
“I have to give this to someone?” Kagome was utterly lost.
 
“Of course,” her friend laughed. “Each lady bestows her favor on one of the jousters, and the man will wear your token under his breastplate, close to his heart.”
 
“So it's a romantic thing?”
 
Sango shrugged. “In a way, though any more it's become more of a flirtatious game then anything else. I've seen some women grant favors to different men every time there's a joust.”
 
“Oh…” Kagome reached down and fingered the transparent silk scarf absentmindedly for a moment. “I guess I shall give my favor to Kouga then, since he is my betrothed.”
 
“Kouga?” Sango blinked and Kagome cocked her head.
 
“You seem surprised by that.”
 
“Well, I guess I assumed that, um…”
 
Kikyou chose to intercede at that point, clearly having been listening in on the conversation the whole time. “I believe Lady Sango means to say that she expected you to favor Inuyasha in the joust.”
 
“Me?!” Kagome glanced down at the scarf again, and then towards the arena where there were now about twenty men, and more still coming. She hadn't spotted either Kouga, Miroku, or Inuyasha yet. “But…why would I be expected to favor the King?”
 
“Because you're the Summer Maiden, of course,” Kikyou replied, waving her hand as though to throw the comment away.
 
“You mean to tell me that as the Summer Maiden I'm expected to give my favor to Inuyasha…? Not my betrothed?”
 
Kikyou seemed to be losing patience with something, it was clear by the look she had in her eyes. “Of course you have a choice, Kagome,” she replied curtly, “You always have a choice.” There was a challenge in that response, Kagome could sense it. It was the challenge of a sister daring her younger sister to take away her rights when it came to her man, and while Sango missed it, to Kagome the message rang loud and clear.
 
With a sigh, she untied the scarf from around her waist and fingered it, holding it out so that it blew around gently in the soft breeze. “I shall favor Kouga,” she finally stated, and thought it strange that the decision depressed her somewhat. She could have laughed. Had she actually wanted to favor Inuyasha? That made no sense…why on earth would she place her favor with a man who insulted her every chance he had?
 
Sango looked disappointed by her response, but Kikyou only nodded her head, her features relaxing as she gave Kagome an approving look. Clearly Kagome had, as always, read her body language perfectly, and had made the right choice in this situation. In other words, she had managed to avoid a family civil war again…for the time being.
 
The men came and lined up before the ladies box, and all the women rose to their feet, each clutching some piece of fabric, be it a handkerchief, a scarf, or even a simple piece of fabric, in their hands. It was time to hand out the favors.
 
As the other women moved forward and announced their chosen men Kagome noticed for the first time that Sango was neither standing or holding anything in her hand, and raised her eyebrows in confusion. “Aren't you going to grant someone your favor, Sango?”
 
The brunette blushed. “I…I've already granted my favor.”
 
“Already?” Kagome was surprised. “In private? To who?”
 
“I'd rather keep that personal, if you don't mind.”
 
Kagome started to say more, to press her friend for the truth, but was stopped when she realized everyone was looking at her expectantly, waiting for her to bestow her favor. After her, Kikyou would go, and then the jousting would begin.
 
Suddenly Kagome's hands went cold, and she nearly dropped the scarf to the ground as her eyes came across a familiar amber gaze, staring at her intently. The rest of the world seemed to disappear around her, and for a moment Kagome felt herself wishing she could just grant Inuyasha her favor, that she could reach down and elegantly hand him her scarf and watch him tuck it into his breastplate as he kept his eyes on her in grateful pleasure. Her skin prickled in mischief as she realized that, if she were to give Inuyasha her favor, then her sister could not, and she, for once, could be the victor in this little game they had created.
 
But then Kagome recalled the way he had insulted her earlier that day, practically calling her a whore, and her fists tightened as she came back to reality, once more becoming aware of the probing gazes around her. She would not puff up his ego any more then it already was by making him think she actually was fond of him…even if, in all truthfulness, she was.
 
So instead, with a grand show of raising her arm and putting a beautiful smile on her face, she shifted her gaze to a black-haired man with sparkling blue eyes. He was kind to her, after all, so it wasn't so bad that he should wear her favor, right?
 
She just had to keep telling herself that.
 
“My favor goes to my betrothed, Kouga,” she announced in a loud, clear voice, and while the public cheered, complimenting the honorable young woman who could have granted her favor to the King but instead chose to be loyal to her fiancé, it did not escape Kagome's notice that Inuyasha suddenly looked positively crestfallen, and even when Kikyou announced he would wear her favor, and made a huge show of leaning over the edge of the balcony and handing him her scarf, he couldn't stop glancing at Kagome as though to ask `Why didn't you choose me?'.
 
For her part, Kagome just tried to keep her head high and ignore him, because if she didn't then her own feelings would come to the surface as well, and frankly she wasn't in the mood to deal with that reality at the moment.
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
Jousting, she decided early on, was not a sport she enjoyed watching. Her heart was in her throat every time she saw the men turn at either end of the arena, pull the shields down on their helmets, and charge, their lances at the ready. And she winced each time there was an impact, sometimes knocking one man to the ground, sometimes both, and sometimes no one, meaning they'd have to go at it again. But the crowd seemed to love it, so Kagome figured she'd just have to bear it.
 
For the most part, as the hours wore on, injuries were kept at a minimal level, with only one man having required assistance off the field. According to Kikyou and Sango, that was an impressive fete, and that usually men were unconscious more often then not after taking a fall.
 
All three of Kagome's friends advanced through the ranks, and she found herself cheering for all of them individually, glad that they had not been forced to face one another as of yet. Their styles were completely different from one another, with Miroku relying on technique, Kouga on his skill with the horse, and Inuyasha on brute strength, of which he had plenty, as became clear when he continually knocked his opponents clear off their horses, sending them flying several yards backwards. In all honesty, in his case there was no competition, and everyone came to accept who would win the joust, instead cheering for who would take second, third, and fourth.
 
By the time the quarterfinals came around Miroku was the only human left, his opponents being demons and hanyous like Inuyasha and Kouga, and the poor man was clearly wearing out as he rode into the arena for what must have been the sixth time that day. As he made his appearance and saluted Kikyou and Bankotsu, who were sitting at separate ends of the arena, Kagome noticed Sango tighten her grip on the armrests of her chair, to which Kagome raised her eyebrows quizzically.
 
Miroku rode over to the far side of the arena so that Kagome and Sango could barely make out the purple and black cover of his horse, which were also the colors of his family. He swayed slightly in the saddle, while his opponent, a burly man with oversized arms and legs that practically bulged out of his armor, seemed cool and collected.
 
Miroku didn't stand a chance.
 
The joust was over almost before it had begun, and Kagome watched as Miroku went flying backward, landing flat on his back and lying very still in the dirt. Beside her, Sango was up and moving so fast she barely had time to process what was going on, but quickly gathered her wits and followed the flustered brunette down to the arena floor.
 
“Miroku!” Ignoring the fact that her yellow gown was now covered in dust, Sango fell to her knees and grabbed one of the man's hands, still covered in thick gloves, clutching it to her breast, her face pale. “Miroku, answer me, please!”
 
Kagome stood a few feet back, trying to give the pair some space, and was relieved when she heard a groan coming from the silver helmet. “Take that off,” Kagome commanded, and Sango knew what she meant and nodded, instantly removing the large metal contraption from his head.
 
Sweaty, pale, and full of dust, Miroku gazed back at Sango at first in relief, and then in surprise. “Sango?” His voice was but a whisper, and Kagome suspected he'd had the wind knocked out of him on his fall.
 
“Oh Miroku,” Sango tried to smile, “Please don't you ever scare me like that again.”
 
The black-haired man smiled and reached into his breastplate, removing a pale handkerchief, and held it to his quivering lips, kissing it lightly. “My Sango,” he sighed, “You were worried about me.”
 
This seemed to enrage the woman, who smacked him on the thigh, though Kagome doubted Miroku felt a thing in the armor. “Of course I'm worried about you. What do you think I am, heartless?”
 
At this point two doctors had arrived carrying a stretcher and, as gently as they could, they loaded Miroku onto it and began carrying him out of the stadium, Sango clutching his hand and walking alongside. Kagome felt relief rush out of her in a sigh, but then she did a double take as she watched something fall from Miroku's hand. Walking over, she picked it up and recognized her friend's initials neatly stitched in the corner.
 
“Sango…?” Kagome stared after the retreating group stupidly for a moment, only leaving the arena herself when she realized everyone else was watching her now, and a smile came to her face. So that was her friend's secret love. Interesting…
 
Kikyou gave her an exasperated sigh when she finally came back to her chair. “Must you always make such a big show of things, Kagome? He only fell off his horse, which happens all the time.”
 
“Miroku's my friend,” Kagome replied hotly. “I was worried about him.”
 
“But it reflects so badly on you to show open concern for so many men. Think about what people will be saying if you keep this up.”
 
Kagome flicked her gaze at Kikyou and snorted in a most unladylike manner. “Don't worry, sister, I won't do anything that will reflect badly on you.” By Kikyou's reaction Kagome knew she'd guessed right again in reading her thoughts. “And any bad reputation I create for myself here won't matter in another two months, when I am far away, married to Kouga.”
 
Kikyou regarded her seriously then. “Would you prefer I change your betrothal to someone else? Say, perhaps, Lord Bankotsu?”
 
“Why?”
 
“You have shown a liking for this place. Perhaps you would be happier here. Your marriage to him would certainly not be lacking in physical love.”
 
Kagome blushed furiously at the implication and turned her head away, back towards the arena where another pair was emerging. “You shouldn't talk of such things in public, sister.”
 
Kikyou chuckled. “Now who's worried about reputations?”
 
“Okay, let me rephrase that: I do not wish to speak about such things in public…it is embarrassing.”
 
“Still so modest,” Kikyou shook her head and returned her eyes as well to the arena. “Oh well, that's why it's a good thing I've already established a marriage for you. I doubt you would have ever caught a man on your own, with your foolish ideals.”
 
Rather then rising to the bait, Kagome just clenched her fists and continued to stare at the remaining jousters. She was not in the mood to fight any more. That's all she seemed to be doing lately, and she was sick of it.
 
Not surprisingly, Inuyasha made it to the final round, but what did surprise everyone was the fact that Kouga did as well. It made for an interesting match: two men with demon strength, each engaged to one of the most beautiful women in the country, each wearing one of the Higurashi sister's favor. It was almost like the public viewed it as a competition between Kagome and Kikyou as much as a competition between Inuyasha and Kouga.
 
Kagome was at a loss.
 
Up until that point it had been easy to cheer for both, since neither had faced each other in the preliminary rounds. Now she didn't want to cheer for only one, and didn't know what to do. Would it be inappropriate to cheer for neither man? Probably not, since Kagome doubted she could keep her mouth shut for that long anyway.
 
Glancing down, she watched, with a certain unnamable fear in her heart, as the opponents circled each other, one saluting Bankotsu while the other saluted Kikyou. When Kouga came over to the lady's side, however, he also saluted Kagome, and she saw him wink before he pulled the face mask down on his helmet, causing her to blush slightly.
 
People were now watching the Higurashi sisters as much as they were watching the men, waiting to see which woman would break first and cheer…waiting to see who each woman would cheer for, though Kagome knew the intrigue was centered more on her, since she was the Summer Maiden, chosen by the King, but was also Kouga's fiancée.
 
The horn sounded, and both men charged at one another, their lances ready, and while Kouga made a direct impact, Inuyasha missed slightly thanks to some last minute horse maneuvering by the wolf demon. But Inuyasha was too strong to be unseated with just one blow, and so they circled and made to pass again, this time from opposite ends.
 
The silence was palpable, and it was obvious this was the match the crowd had waited for hours in the sun to see, knowing that the two men had been rivals all their lives, and were once again at odds.
 
For her part, Kagome's hands were clenched so tightly to the arm rests on her seat that she actually caused a small line of blood to appear on her left palm where a tiny jewel had managed to pierce her skin. But she didn't care, as she was too focused on what was going on in the arena…too worried about both men to tend to herself.
 
Four passes later both men were still on their horses, though they were certainly starting to look somewhat more the worse for wear, and still Kagome and Kikyou said nothing. It was like they were locked in a battle of wills, though Kagome suspected her sister was simply waiting to see if Kagome would break under the pressure and cheer for Inuyasha despite the fact that Kouga carried her favor. As always, she was testing Kagome…watching to see what she would do and ready to pick up the pieces of her mistakes, if necessary.
 
The tension rose to the boiling point by the time the men had made their seventh pass, unheard of in a joust, and, unable to take it any longer, Kagome slammed to her feet and cried the first thing that came to her heart. “Come on Inuyasha! Knock him down!”
 
A unified gasp went through the crowd, and even the two competitors stopped what they were doing and swung their heads in Kagome's direction.
 
Feeling Kikyou's shocked expression boring into her back, Kagome brought a hand to her lips, unable to believe what she had just said, wanting to kick herself for being so careless. She had just cheered for the man who was going against her betrothed! And what was worse, she had just taken her sister's rightful place.
 
The horn sounded, and she was startled from her reverie as she blinked and looked back down as the men made a pass at each other again. But this time, for some reason, it seemed different. This time Kagome thought Inuyasha's posture was straighter, his body language more determined, and his lance more set in his hand.
 
Whatever the change, it was soon obvious to everyone, because Inuyasha sent Kouga flying back off his horse and onto the ground, leaving the wolf demon in a similar position to what Miroku had looked like about an hour ago. Kagome felt her heart soar, but then watched, in horror, as Inuyasha also fell from his horse, staggering to his knees, the round having taken much more out of him then he was willing to let on.
 
“Inuyasha!” Without thinking…again…she leapt to her feet and ran back down to the arena once more, stumbling on her skirts, which she hiked up with her hands to keep out of the way of her feet, modesty be damned.
 
He looked so much bigger, she thought absentmindedly, now that she was down on his level. The armor only made his masculine figure look even more powerful…even more intimidating…and the fact that he wasn't wearing a helmet only made him look better.
 
His ears swung in her direction, and slowly he turned and watched as Kagome ran towards him, her face full of worry. He had felt as though the angels had touched him in that moment when she'd called out encouragement to him, giving him the strength to defeat Kouga, and now…well, now he felt something akin to absolute joy as he realized she was worried for him, and him alone.
 
Kagome watched, in horror, as Inuyasha's knees buckled, and poured on one final burst of speed to reach his side just as he began to fall, meaning his weight fell against her. Instinctively bending her knees and bracing herself, she now found herself holding (yes holding) the King in her arms, his head on her shoulder, his silver hair mixing with her ebony locks where it fell over her shoulders.
 
“Kagome…” He mumbled, sounding exhausted.
 
“Inuyasha…” A smile came to her lips as she realized how wonderful it sounded to have him say her name in such a way, as though he…as though he cared for her.
 
Inuyasha turnd his head so that his nose was buried in her neck, and felt her body shiver as his breath touched her skin. He inhaled, and found himself suddenly surrounded by the scent of roses.
 
Roses, he thought with a smile…just like the first time he'd met her. She'd been surrounded by roses then, too. “Kagome,” he spoke again, his breath leaving him in a sigh. “Kagome, you smell so nice.”
 
Blinking, Kagome wished she could have seen the look on his face. “I do?” She sounded perplexed.
 
He nodded against her neck. “Yes…you smell…like rose petals.”
 
At that moment the spell was broken as the sound of hurried footsteps reached her ears, and Kagome inclined her head to see Kikyou rushing forward, breaking her rules of propriety to tend to her fiancé.
 
Reality came on full force, and Kagome realized, with a jolt, how she must have looked at that moment with the King in her arms and he with his head buried in the crook of her neck. Blushing, she pushed him away and handed him off to Kikyou, who caught him against her and together they knelt on the ground. At this point, though, Inuyasha seemed to be unconscious.
 
Knowing Kouga needed tending to as well, Kagome walked over and knelt at his side, soiling her new gown, and felt his hand grasp hers firmly, though his voice was small as he spoke. “So you wanted him to win, Kagome?”
 
Kagome blushed. “I…oh Kouga…”
 
He chuckled and rolled his head to the side in exhaustion. “It's alright, I forgive you. It must be so hard for you to balance between being faithful to me and being supportive of the King. You are his Summer Maiden, after all.”
 
A jolt ran through her body, and Kagome realized that Kouga didn't blame her at all for what she'd done, but rather, he chalked it all up to her being the Summer Maiden and feeling obligated to cheer for Inuyasha since she'd already granted her favor to the wolf man. A blush of shame now painted her cheeks, and she felt she did not deserve such a man who had so much faith in her kindness and faithful heart.
 
If only he knew…
 
Feeling eyes upon her, Kagome turned to see Kikyou looking at her, and what she saw was, surprisingly, gratitude in her sister's eyes. And, as she thought about it, it made sense. To the crowds above who had not been able to hear the words Kagome had shared with Inuyasha, all it had appeared to be was Kagome saving the King from falling, as was her duty, but then faithfully handing him off to his fiancée when the time came.
 
But something had shifted, she now realized. Something had shifted in that moment when she'd held him close, feeling his sweaty body against her own, his scent, so masculine, surrounding her and putting her in a hazy fog.
 
Suddenly, rather then merely feeling bitter that she had been forced to give the spotlight back to Kikyou, Kagome also felt like she had lost something, something her heart desperately wanted. The thought frightened her, and she suddenly understood what Kikyou had meant by saying they were now competing for higher stakes. But more then that, secretly, for the first time, Kagome now found she didn't want to just roll over and submit to fate…suddenly, Kagome wanted to be the victor. For the first time, Kagome wanted to fight…and win.