InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The King's Mistress ❯ Resistance ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Historical Factoid:
 
Several of you have asked me how I feel about Anne Boleyn, and whether or not I personally feel that she deserved the hate of England she received, so I figured I'd better answer the question while also throwing in some of the historical reasons for my opinion.
 
Anne Boleyn is one of those figures in history who is written differently by every author. Some portray her as a sly woman who had an eye on the crown from the beginning, and who brought about a tragic end for the beloved Queen Katherine when she stole the love of King Henry VIII and forced the old Queen into exile, far away from her daughter and her homeland of Spain. There are even rumors that Anne was the reason Katherine of Aragorn died…that she had her poisoned.
 
There are others who portray her on the opposite extreme as well, giving her a very innocent personality as a girl who was blessed with super intelligence, and that she unknowingly bewitched a King, but that she never truly wanted a crown.
 
I fall right in between these two extremes. I believe that Anne Boleyn was indeed very shrewd and extremely intelligent, and that she pulled the strings of Henry's heart perfectly (with every intention of doing so). But I do not believe that she always had her eye on a crown. In fact, she was in love with Henry Percy, and wished to marry him, but his family deemed her unworthy and broke up the betrothal and sent the two lovers to opposite sides of the country. Anne was never the same after that, and I truly believe that is when she became bitter and decided that since she could not have the love of her life she would settle for a crown instead.
 
She saw her chance when the King became interested in her, and from there I do believe that everything she did was on purpose. After all, I don't believe any “innocent” woman could lead a man as powerful as Henry on for so many years and still have him interested at the end as she did. So there's my opinion of her; I believe she was shrewd and intelligent, but not the witch that everyone made her out to be. She did not deserve to be beheaded, and, frankly, that is one event that sours my opinion of Henry VIII.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
Fan Art:
 
Here is a link to a beautiful piece of art done by one of my reviewers, Han Mei. It is of Kagome with her violin, and it looks like she intends to draw more in the future. Oh I hope so! It's absolutely gorgeous! I encourage all of you to check it out and drop her a comment! Thanks so much, and here's the link (remembering that there are spaces in between everything)!
 
http :// www .deviantart. com /deviation/ 17131869/
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
Title: The King's Mistress
 
Author: dolphingirl0113
 
Chapter Nineteen: Resistance
 
Rating: PG-13 (for language and, at times, implied sexual situations)
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha, nor do I take credit for several of the historical ideas, facts, and realities I have taken and used.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
I realize that as a God-fearing woman, I should have been ashamed to offer myself so freely to a man who was already spoken for...and to my sister, no less! But I swear that, in that moment, no amount of rational common sense could have made me stop and walk away. I was just so tired, and so sad…and so in love with him. God, I loved him.
 
Do you understand the meaning of such love?
 
Honestly, I'm not sure I did, even then, or even now as I look back on that part of my life. How could anyone understand such a love, after all? A love that can convince us to discard our moral sense of right and wrong and to cast all other thoughts and dreams from our youth to the wind for a single night with a single man…the thought of such passion still scalds my heart to this day.
 
Please…do not judge me falsely now that you have read what I did. Do not put me with those women who would sleep around merely for the favors it can bestow on their family. What I did, I did out of love and a selfish need for comfort, and nothing more. I knew I would forever more be plagued by guilt that I had betrayed my sister, along with a distrust in my sense of honor. I knew that, by giving myself to him, I was opening Pandora's Box and would never again be able to close it. But I didn't care. I loved him…and I love him still
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
As sound was the first sense to return as she slowly drifted back to consciousness, Kagome became instantly aware of the chirping of birds in the trees below her window, intermixed with the soft breathing of the form behind her, spooned against her back. She felt a heavy arm draped over her waist, while her own hands were tightly fisted at her chest, her legs curled up underneath her so that she was resting in a comfortable ball.
 
The light of morning had penetrated the windows of her chambers, flooding the space with sunshine. It was going to be a beautiful day.
 
Feeling the urge to stretch, Kagome rolled onto her back, careful not to disturb the sleeping man beside her as she languidly pushed her arms up and away from her body as though to touch the top of the canopy covering her bed. Her muscles sighed as she brought her hands back to rest once more on her belly, and for the first time in many weeks she smiled a full, genuine smile, feeling content in a way she'd never before thought possible.
 
Glancing to her left, Kagome observed the sleeping hanyou King, his features relaxed, his hair spilling out around him and providing a sharp contrast to her ebony tresses where they met on the pillows. His bare back and shoulders, even relaxed, displayed rock hard muscles under his skin, which was slightly tan and seemed to glow in the morning sun, and his powerful hands were currently resting at her side, facing palm up.
 
Kagome shivered, recalling the feel of those hands on her own skin, knowing all too well how strong they were.
 
A faint blush came to her cheeks at the thought, and she rolled over so that he couldn't see her embarrassment as she recalled what had transpired during the night. It had been so wonderful, and yet so innocent…so incredibly beautiful.
 
Despite what anyone said about the King and the many women who surrounded him looking for favors, it had been obvious that…and her cheeks burned even more at the silent observation…he, like her, had no prior experience, as there had been much fumbling and embarrassing moments in between their fiery passion.
 
Kagome hoped it was alright.
 
She hoped that she hadn't in any way disappointed him or made him feel like she was not as worthy as he'd thought she was, for there had certainly been many times when she'd felt like turning beet red and burying herself under the blankets so he couldn't see her humiliation at being so inexperienced (a particular moment involving banging heads and tripping to the floor came to mind).
 
And yet, he had been so gentle with her that somehow she doubted he would ever hold such a failing against her. He'd been so kind and understanding…so very different from the way he usually acted, and Kagome wondered if perhaps the man she had known for that one night was in fact the real man that the rest of the world never got to see. The thought caused her to realize that there was still so much she had to learn about this man beside her…this King who seemed so transparent at first glance but who, upon further inspection, had seemingly infinite numbers of layers to his personality which one could spend a lifetime learning to understand.
 
How Kagome wished she could spend her life discovering all those layers, coming to understand the man she loved…
 
The sound of a long, lazy intake of air came from behind, telling Kagome that her partner was stirring, and she stilled herself, waiting for him to make the first move, suddenly feeling unsure of herself with the magic of the night gone as daylight poured into the room.
 
She felt hesitant fingers come to rest on her naked shoulder, and Kagome could almost see the struggle on Inuyasha's face as he no doubt tried to determine whether or not she was awake, and if he should say anything.
 
“Kagome?” When he spoke, his voice was adorably soft and unsure, and she couldn't help but respond to it despite her sudden insecurity...drawn to him then and forever more.
 
“Yes, Inuyasha?”
 
She heard him sigh, feeling his body shift slightly. “Are you…okay?”
 
What an odd question, she thought to herself as she rolled over and looked into his amber eyes, which were still partially clouded over by fading sleep, trying to read what he was implying by that question. “What do you mean?”
 
He blushed. “Well, just that…um…you're not hurt or anything, are you? I mean, I didn't hurt you, did I?”
 
The question was so innocent and so thoughtful that Kagome felt her lips curve upward, and she gave her hanyou a beaming smile that caused his features to relax as she replied. “No, Inuyasha, I'm not hurt. I feel a little sore, but somehow I have a feeling that's normal.” She couldn't believe she was discussing such a thing with him! And yet it felt so natural…
 
“Oh,” He brushed a lock of hair off of her face, losing himself in her dark eyes. “That's good. I would never want to hurt you.” He blushed at the thought of all the times he'd said something to cause her pain, and flinched. “Well…not intentionally, anyway.”
 
Kagome giggled at that, somehow feeling like she could have been told that the world was coming to an end and yet she wouldn't care. “I know, Inuyasha; and I thank you for that.” Without thinking, she moved forward and caught his lips in a gentle kiss that left his head swimming, and on instinct the hanyou placed his hand behind her head to hold her in place, not wanting her to back away.
 
This is heaven, she thought as her eyes misted over behind her closed lids. I have truly found heaven on earth, right here in his arms…
 
Suddenly the sound of voices coming from just outside her door could be heard, and the pair shot apart, the magic of the moment ruined.
 
“I am looking for His Majesty the King!” It was Miroku, clearly, who was speaking.
 
“And I'm telling you that you'll have to look somewhere else,” Kagome's maid, Yuka, could be heard in reply. “My lady is still asleep, for she would have come for me by now were she awake.”
 
“How do you know that she didn't just wake up earlier than usual and go for a walk?”
 
“Because my lady always finds me first in the morning and we share a cup of tea. Now if you'll please keep your voice down, my lord, I would appreciate it; Lady Kagome has been through a lot in these past few weeks, and needs her rest.”
 
There was a brief silence, in which time Kagome and Inuyasha exchanged glances, clearly trying to determine whether or not the pair had left, before deciding that they had, and moving back to kiss once more. But just as their lips met, the sound of the door being thrown open was heard, and Kagome gasped, instinctively shoving Inuyasha, the High King of the country, under her covers like a servant boy who had been romping where he wasn't allowed.
 
There was a shriek of distress, and in the next moment both Yuka and Miroku appeared, still dressed in their sleeping attire; Yuka in a simple white nightgown, her hair unkempt, and Miroku in a velvet purple robe which was obviously covering up his own nightgown.
 
For an instant everyone just stared at one another, their eyes wide in mutual surprise, before Kagome noticed Miroku's perverted smile and suddenly realized that she was sitting upright with nothing covering her bare chest.
 
Her entire body turned red as a cherry, and she wailed in distress as she grabbed frantically for the large comforter and pulled it up to give her a certain amount of modesty, sinking lower into the bed while trying desperately to keep Inuyasha's wealth of silver hair hidden as its color would be an instant red flag against the dark blue of the bed.
 
“Miroku, I swear to God if you don't explain the meaning of this right now I'll have your head,” she hissed, not at all joking.
 
The lecherous man shook his head to rid it of the pleased little smile he'd been wearing, and instantly turned serious as he glanced over at Yuka, who was also clearly enraged that he'd had the gall to interrupt her mistress' sleep and see her in such a state. Frankly, if he wasn't used to such treatment from women already, he would have been terrified, because between the two of them the women in the room would have fried him to a crisp in an instant if looks could kill.
 
Coughing lightly and looking directly into Kagome's eyes, he tried to make light of the situation with a genuine smile of friendship. “I have an important message for the King, Lady Kagome, and I was wondering if you had seen him yet this morning?”
 
Kagome couldn't prevent the pink that spread to her cheeks, but she did manage to keep the temptingly foolish grin at bay as she tried to force her voice to remain calm, thinking about the fact that the King's hand was currently on her stomach, trying to keep her calm. “No, my lord, I have not seen him. You'll have to search elsewhere.”
 
The violet-eyed man sighed in exasperation and sank (uninvited) into one of her cushioned chairs. “I have searched everywhere, Kagome…the rogue must have gone out on another of his ridiculous night hunts all by himself. Honestly, to still be doing such acts of immaturity at his age…”
 
There was a growl of protest from under the covers, and Kagome gave the lump beside her a good whack while keeping an innocent look on her face. The pair before her gave her a curious look, and she just laughed tightly, feeling the hand on her stomach tighten in retaliation. “The pillows were a little too high for my comfort,” she said quickly, knowing it was a ridiculous comment to make. But thankfully they seemed to buy it, so she continued, desperate to have them out of her room. “And I am sorry you cannot find the King, Miroku, but I told you before he is not with me, and I have not seen him today, so you'll have to search elsewhere.”
 
“Very well,” the man finally commented with an exaggerated sagging of his shoulders, but he still made no move to get up. “However, since this matter involves you as well, perhaps I could tell you what it is so you can relay the message to him if you should meet him before I do?”
 
Kagome blinked stupidly, wondering what could possibly involve her, but nodded all the same, wanting him out of her room. “As you wish. What is this important matter?”
 
Miroku started to reach for something in his robe pocket, but stopped and glanced meaningfully at Yuka, who dared him to say anything by glaring back. Kagome caught his meaning and rolled her eyes in exasperation before giving her loyal maid a pleading look. “Yuka, if you please, could you leave us alone for a few minutes?”
 
The brunette gave her a sharp, almost measuring gaze, before finally nodding her head. “As you wish, my lady; and if you don't require my services at the moment I should like to request that I may go down to the kitchens and have some breakfast?”
 
“Of course, Yuka; thank you.”
 
She curtsied, looking somewhat silly in her nightgown as she shot Miroku a last warning glare as she spoke. “My lady.” And then she was gone.
 
There was a long silence, though from her vantage point Kagome could hear Inuyasha's heavy breathing, no doubt because he was boiling beneath the heavy comforter and sheets. Her cheeks betrayed her by turning an even brighter shade of red, and she prayed with all her heart that whatever Miroku had to say would be brief. Her reputation was already ruined if anyone found out that Miroku, the chief advisor to the King, had seen her in bed, naked breasts and all…never mind the fact that the King himself was in her bed!
 
Oh god, she lamented silently, I'm ruined!
 
And what was even worse was the fact that, rather than horrified, all she wanted to do at that moment was start laughing.
 
Finally, Miroku broke the tense silence with a light cough, reaching once more into his robes for whatever he'd meant to show her a moment earlier. “I received this just an hour ago from a faithful messenger,” the King's chief advisor spoke, at once all business as he withdrew what appeared to be a sealed letter from his inner robe pocket. “Hatchi is a good man, and always follows my orders faithfully. I told him to bring this letter to me the moment it reached port, never mind the rest of the mail that would be sent to the King.”
 
At the mention of the word letter Kagome felt her breath hitch, and also was aware of the further tightening of Inuyasha's grip on her belly, which caused her to grit her teeth. If he left even one permanent mark on her skin with those claws of his…
 
“Is this the letter, Miroku?” She asked straight out, never having been one for small talk. Beneath the covers Inuyasha smirked, knowing she'd go for the direct approach and appreciating her all the more for it.
 
He nodded, running a hand through his hair which was, for once, free of its ponytail. Clearly it must be the letter from King Henry VIII for him to have rushed into her quarters without worrying about his appearance. “It is, Kagome. It's the response we've been waiting for these past few weeks.”
 
Another silence filled the air, and Kagome felt herself literally leaning forward on the bed, the sheets falling a little lower on her chest. Miroku's eyes instantly moved lower, and she blushed, her temper getting the better of her. “For God's sake, man, I know you've seen a woman's chest before, so stop staring at mine! After all, that letter is far more important!”
 
At her comment she felt Inuyasha growl possessively, and she prayed Miroku didn't hear, though it seemed by his reaction that he didn't.
 
“I apologize, Kagome,” He replied to her, though she didn't feel like he sounded sincere. “Of course the letter is more important; it's just that…well…” He smirked and his eyes roamed over her body, telling her he was no doubt imagining in his mind what the rest of her looked like underneath the sheets. She rolled her eyes.
 
“Grow up, Miroku.”
 
He chuckled. “You know, Sango said that to me just the other day.”
 
“Well she had a point.”
 
“And then she slapped me.”
 
“I don't blame her.”
 
“But you can't slap me, unless you want to risk exposing yourself any more than you already have.”
 
Kagome sighed and looked at the top of the blue canopy over the bed, asking for patience from some higher being. Honestly, how did Inuyasha put up with him every day? “I suppose that's true, Miroku…so instead I'll just have to ask you to stop looking at me as though I were some piece of meat you are deciding whether or not to buy on the market.”
 
Inuyasha snorted, hearing every word and proud of Kagome for standing her ground. He was reminded of the time when he'd stumbled upon her playing her violin dressed in nothing but her undergarments, and how she had unabashedly told him off while technically partially naked.
 
She was a truly unique, incredible woman.
 
Miroku just smiled again and met Kagome's eyes, standing up and moving over to the side of the bed, which caused Kagome to become very nervous. What if he could see Inuyasha from that angle? She couldn't even look down to her left to check and make sure he was safely hidden, because that would give something away…
 
“What are you doing Miroku?” She asked nervously as he reached her side and took her hand. “I…um…I think you should sit down where you were. It would make me feel better.”
 
But the man before her just continued to stare at her, his eyes glazing over seriously as he squeezed her hand. “Kagome, I do wish to discuss the letter as that is a matter of great importance, but…because I have found you in such a situation, and because you have not reacted like most women would in your place, I have to ask you something…”
 
He continued to look at her, and Kagome stared right back, now suddenly curious to find out what was going through his mind. But he didn't continue, and she leaned towards him slightly, physically encouraging him to continue. “Yes…? What is it Miroku?”
 
“Will you bear my child?”
 
For a moment what he said didn't register, and Kagome could merely blink stupidly as she processed what she'd heard. But truthfully she didn't have to react anyway, because the moment the words left Miroku's mouth there was a deep, guttural roar that had the both of them jumping out of their skins.
 
“What the hell did you just ask her?” Inuyasha hollered, infuriated, leaping out from under the covers in all his naked glory, his amber eyes blazing with incensed jealousy as Kagome instinctively scrambled to keep the covers from revealing herself as well.
 
“Inu…yasha…?” Miroku could only point and stare in stupid surprise, clearly having expected a lot of things…a slap, or a scream from Kagome perhaps…but not the very High King himself to come leaping out of the bed and stand before him in a defensive stance…completely naked.
 
But the silver-haired hanyou didn't even seem to notice his current state…all he was seeing was his idiotic best friend, who had just proposed that Kagome bear his child. “I'll kill you for that, Miroku! I won't let you insult Kagome in that way! I challenge you to a duel! Whoever falls to the ground first loses!”
 
Kagome was now not only beet red, but her skin beneath had turned pale, her eyes bugging out from her head as she stared at her lover, the proud Inuyasha, who was currently challenging his best friend Miroku to a ridiculous dual in her honor without a scrap of clothing on his body. “Um…Inuyasha…”
 
“Stay out of this, Kagome! I'll be damned if this lecher insults you in such a way! I've seen him do it many times before, but I won't let it slide when it comes to you!”
 
“But Inuyasha…”
 
He turned an exasperated look on her. “What?”
 
She didn't really know what to say. “You might…um…want to put on some clothes first?”
 
Suddenly the air seemed to deflate around him, and Inuyasha slowly…painfully slowly…looked down at his current situation before looking at Miroku, then at the door in the other room which was currently open so any passersby could see, and then, finally, back at Kagome again.
 
Without another word, he launched himself at the door and slammed it shut, locking it securely so no one could enter, before rushing about and grabbing the undershirt he'd been wearing the night before (which had been cast over by the fireplace) along with his pants (which were lying haphazardly on a chair). Hastily, without a sound, he pulled both articles of clothing on, and once he'd finished, he walked back over and tried, calmly, to sit on the edge of the bed, where Kagome still sat with the sheets up under her chin.
 
Miroku remained in place, pointing at the spot where Inuyasha had just been a moment earlier, though his eyes had followed the hanyou as he'd moved about, and now, for once, didn't seem to know what to say. “Your…Majesty?”
 
Hearing Miroku refer to his best friend so formally caused all sense of propriety in the air to shatter like glass, and Kagome couldn't help but give in to the urge to double over and laugh, the sound resonating throughout the room.
 
Inuyasha turned on her and glared, clearly out of both annoyance and horrendous embarrassment…after all, he had just been caught in the bed of his fiancée's sister, and then had called out his friend while dressed in nothing but his birthday suit. Frankly, it was more than he could take for one day, and all patience, along with every warm feeling from the night before, had vanished. “Just what is so funny, Kagome?”
 
Hearing his tone, Kagome tried desperately to be respectful and reign in her laughter, but found the task very daunting, and in the end her body was trembling with the effort, tears leaking out the corners of her eyes. “I'm sorry, Inuyasha, it's just that, well…you were…Miroku was…” And she lost it again.
 
This time both men rolled their eyes, but Miroku quickly fastened his gaze on the King once more as he raised an eyebrow, the question, almost a demand, on his face obvious for anyone to see: explain.
 
But Inuyasha ignored the look and instead stared at his friend's hand, where the forgotten letter innocently remained. “What were you about to say about the letter you received?”
 
“What?” Miroku blinked before seeming to remember the reason for bursting into the room at all, and shook his head as he brought forth the letter and handed it to Inuyasha to read silently.
 
Realizing that no one was going to read it aloud, Kagome frowned and instantly stopped laughing, feeling very left out from where she sat on the bed with the covers around her chin. “Excuse me, gentlemen?” They both turned and looked at her as though surprised she was even still in the room. She sighed in annoyance. “I think I have a right to know what's in that letter as much as you.”
 
Rolling his eyes again, Inuyasha grunted. “I was going to tell you once I finished reading it, Kagome.”
 
Her mouth formed a silent `o', and with a blush she lay back against the pillows, propped up but feeling a little more covered as she pondered the risks of getting up to grab her own blue silk robe. Glancing over at the mahogany cupboard housing said article of clothing, she sighed and looked over at Inuyasha, focused on the letter in his hands, with Miroku at his side (seemingly) focused as well.
 
Finally, deciding it was better than just sitting naked in the bed with two of the most powerful men in the country currently in her quarters, Kagome slid off the mattress, being sure to pull the large blue comforter with her, holding it up to her neck as she moved so that no one had any sort of show. Miroku was instantly aware as she began to move, and a blush painted her cheeks once more under his gaze, but she was still thankful that Inuyasha was managing to ignore her as best he could, clearly trying not to make her feel any more uncomfortable than she already was.
 
Just as she pulled the robe around her shoulders and belted it at her waist, feeling its smooth satin against her skin (a new sensation since normally she was wearing a nightgown beneath), Inuyasha grunted and swallowed, looking up to indicate he had finished reading the letter.
 
For several moments no one spoke, and Kagome swallowed nervously, wondering what was in that letter…what the King of England had chosen to say in reply.
 
Would they go to war? Or would their country be spared?
 
In light of such questions, her own personal problems seemed far away, and Kagome took a step forward at last when she could no longer bear the silence, extending her hand as though to touch the King's shoulder. “Well? What does Henry of England say?”
 
Sharp amber flashed as though being woken from a stupor, and Inuyasha met Kagome's eyes with joy. “He writes to say he understands that we cannot afford to ally ourselves with anyone at the present time, but that he hopes in the future we might be able to aid him, as he would aid us should we require it.” Inuyasha sighed, clearly trying to contain the heaving sigh of relief threatening to escape as he spoke. “Furthermore, he wants to inform me of his decision to attend my wedding as a gesture of good faith. I am to write back with the plans and days so he may prepare accordingly.”
 
Those were the most beautiful words Kagome could have possibly heard, and her eyes lit up as she moved forward and, without thinking about Miroku, wrapped her arms around the hanyou's waist, leaning her head against his chest. Clearly, he wasn't conscious of much either as he rested his chin atop her head and inhaled the rosy scent of her hair.
 
“That's such wonderful news Inuyasha,” Kagome breathed, pulling away to look into his eyes.
 
For once it appeared that a smile was touching the corners of his mouth, and Inuyasha's eyes softened as he gazed down at the woman who had helped him so much, and sacrificed so much of her own happiness. “I couldn't have done this without you, Kagome.”
 
She blinked in surprise. “But I did nothing…”
 
“Yes you did,” He replied firmly. “This is not the time to be modest. I could not have done this…Miroku and I could not have done this…without your advice. We had been pouring over those letters for days, and it was only when you looked at them that we understood what needed to be done. Thank you.”
 
All Kagome could manage to do was place her hands on his chest to assure herself that he was real as she tried to process the fact that Inuyasha, arrogant King that he was, had just complimented and thanked her at the same time. “I…” Her voice cracked, and as she recalled what had transpired the night before, she realized that they had moved beyond words. “You're very welcome, Inuyasha. I was happy to help you in any way I could…you know that.”
 
He nodded, recalling what she had said that day: I will always serve my King. But what was even more incredible was that she actually meant it. So many of his courtiers just said such vows to move up in the court, but Kagome Higurashi meant every word she said.
 
“Kagome…”
 
As he spoke her name softly, causing her body to shiver in the thin robe cloaking her body against the cold wind of morning coming through the open windows, Miroku coughed, and both suddenly remembered his presence. They turned as one to look at him, and, instinctively, moved apart, to which the black-haired man smiled.
 
“You needn't feel self-conscious on my account.”
 
At that the pair blushed, though Kagome managed to stammer a response. “Miroku, you can't…I mean, that is…no one can…” God damn it all, why couldn't she finish a simple sentence?
 
But Miroku seemed to understand what she meant exactly, because he nodded and his eyes turned soft in understanding, for once no lecherous thought visibly crossing his face. “You needn't worry about that, Kagome. I won't say a word.” She smiled, and he looked over at Inuyasha. “So, is she your mistress now Inuyasha?”
 
The poor King guffawed at the comment, his jaw dropping to the ground before he sputtered in reply. “Of course not, baka! To be my mistress would mean it would be an open thing, and Kagome just said it needed to be a complete secret.”
 
“I know that, Inuyasha,” Miroku rolled his eyes as though speaking with a slow child. “What I meant was is she to be your mistress in secret? Will you want her followed by a secret guard to protect her? Shall I have her moved to more suitable rooms closer to yours?”
 
With every question, Kagome felt herself cringe and turn a brighter shade of red, as though with each statement Miroku unintentionally turned what had been a beautiful night into something she should be ashamed of. It wasn't as though she had given herself to the King for honors, as so many women tried to do. She had done it for love, and love alone. And Inuyasha certainly wasn't the type to have mistresses at all…proved by his obvious inexperience the night before.
 
“For heaven's sake, Miroku,” Kagome finally exploded after the man suggested she have a special new horse and saddle as a gift, “I don't want any of that. Frankly, it would be best if this never gets out, and if it never happens again!”
 
That had come out all wrong, and she knew it the minute Inuyasha's face constricted in silent pain. She hadn't meant it that way…
 
“Miroku,” Inuyasha ground out through a tight jaw, “I think I need to speak with Kagome alone right now.”
 
“What?” He looked from one to the other, seeming to finally notice the tension in the air, and nodded in understanding. “Of course…I'll wait for you in your study, where we can talk about the letter.” He turned towards the door, but was stopped once more by the sound of his King.
 
“I mean it, Miroku…not a word. Not even to that woman of yours, Sango.”
 
Kagome blushed to hear her friend referred to in such a possessive manner, knowing Sango wouldn't appreciate it either, but Miroku simply took it in stride and, with one final bow, vanished out the door, closing it securely behind him.
 
Immediately, she turned to face Inuyasha once more, clasping her hands before her as she saw the anger and hurt on his face. “Inuyasha…”
 
But he interrupted her with a flourish of hand gestures and a biting tone. “What did you mean by that Kagome? What did you mean it should never happen again? Are you ashamed or something? Do you regret it now that you can see in the daylight that it was indeed a hanyou you took to your bed?”
 
His voice was harsh, and Kagome felt tears prickling at the corners of her eyes knowing he could even ask such questions after all she had said and done for him. “How can you say that, Inuyasha? I would never be ashamed of what happened between us. I…” She froze, her mouth slack, and forced the words back down her throat.
 
Why couldn't she say it? Why couldn't she just tell him she loved him? She'd done everything else…kissed him, taken him to her bed, usurped her sister's place as the King's advisor and friend…so why couldn't she just tell him that she loved him?
 
Because then it would seal your fate, a silent voice in her head replied. It would mean you could never turn your back on him and marry Kouga, whereas now, while it will be painful, you will still be able to do the right thing for him and your sister.
 
Seeing the emotions flickering across her face, and recognizing the inner battle she was fighting because he had fought one similar so many times before, Inuyasha felt his temper vanish as he took a step towards the woman before him, her hair wild and tangled about her face, the dark blue of her robe accenting her dark eyes and giving her an enticingly exotic look.
 
“Kagome, you what?” He pressed gently. “What were you going to say?”
 
Looking up and meeting his gaze, she felt her breath catch, for an instant willing to throw all caution and sense of right and wrong to the wind if it meant keeping him in her arms for just a few moments more.
 
But then, as she began to hear the telltale noises of the morning routine out in the corridors, she was brought back to reality and reminded of the fact that Inuyasha, King and all, was not hers, and never could be because he belonged to her sister, both by a formal betrothal that had been signed by witnesses, and also by the simple fact that Kagome would not steal away Kikyou's hope for a bright future.
 
She loved Inuyasha, yes; but she also loved her sister…and as she'd said to Kouga the night before, the love she bore for her sister ran far deeper than anything she could feel for a man in less than six months. God, how she wished she could just put such a sense of loyalty and duty aside. She wished she could be the thoughtless, cruel kind of woman who could harden her heart to the suffering of others but…Kagome Higurashi simply could not be callous and unfeeling.
 
As many had said before who knew her, it was simply not in her nature, and however many times she may damn such a curse (for that is how she currently saw it), Kagome could no more change who she was than anyone else.
 
“Nothing, Inuyasha,” she finally replied, looking away and moving towards the window. She heard him step towards her an instant before he placed his arms on her own, his breath tickling the back of her neck where her hair exposed her skin, and shivered.
 
“You were going to say something,” He commented as he casually brushed the hair away from her entire neck and over her left shoulder. “Please don't keep secrets from me Kagome. I don't want secrets between us.” His voice caught in inner pain. “Secrets can lead to such trouble…almost a sense of betrayal at times…”
 
That caused Kagome to turn and look at Inuyasha with a curious look, wondering if perhaps he hadn't known about Kikyou's earlier indiscretions until Naraku came back into her life. “I would never betray you, Inuyasha,” she stated firmly, “And what I keep to myself now, I keep to myself for your own good.”
 
At that the hanyou flashed her a sharp gaze before shaking his head firmly. “No Kagome, I won't accept that.”
 
“Accept what?”
 
“I saw you last night…you were not someone who could take much more of the world onto your shoulders, and I doubt that one night has changed that any.”
 
“Inuyasha…” This time his name came off her lips in an exhausted whisper, but he seemed to ignore her as he pushed onward with his train of thought.
 
“I won't let you be the sole bearer of everyone else's problems, Kagome. I've watched you do it with Kikyou, and I've even seen you do it for me.” He shook her firmly. “I won't let you sacrifice your happiness for everyone else!”
 
At that, for some reason, Kagome felt a sad, almost tragic smile coming to her face as she met his beautiful amber eyes…those eyes that, even on that first day in the rose gardens, had enchanted her. Even then, when she'd hated his personality, she'd felt drawn to those eyes for some reason. Those eyes that held such emotion…windows into his very soul if you knew how to read them…
 
“I'm willing to make that sacrifice, Inuyasha,” She finally replied, meaning every word despite the fact that the shattered remains of her violin were still scattered all over the floor.
 
“But Kagome…”
 
“I'm willing to do it because I care about you all so very much,” she continued, coming as close as she dared to saying the actual three words that were currently echoing in her heart and very soul. “So long as you are happy, I'm happy too.”
 
The hanyou shook his head once again, his silver hair catching a few fingers of light from the sun outside the window. “You weren't happy last night, Kagome.”
 
She put a finger to his lips to stop him from speaking any more. “But I'm happy now, Inuyasha, and that's thanks to you.” She looked down. “That will be enough.”
 
“Will it, Kagome?”
 
She shrugged her shoulders. “It will have to be.”
 
That seemed to make him angry, because Inuyasha squeezed her arms tighter and forced her to meet his gaze by giving her slight form a firm shake. “That's not good enough for me.”
 
Her eyes widened slightly. “Inuyasha…”
 
“Do you think after sharing that with you last night I'd just leave you back in the hell you were living?” He paused, and when she didn't reply he realized that she'd honestly figured that's what would happen. More then anything, the thought enraged him. Had she no faith in him at all? “Damn it, Kagome…I won't just leave you to marry that stupid, arrogant wolf and move away when I know that's not what you want.”
 
Kagome shut her eyes against his words, trying to shut out the pain that was coming to the surface as her heart cried out for her to respond, to fall against him and say that yes, all she wanted was to stay with him forever.
 
“It's what I must do, Inuyasha,” she finally whispered, looking away and trying to find some amount of joy in the beauty of the morning. “It is my duty.”
 
“Damn your duty, Kagome!” He exploded, stepping away and starting to pace.
 
For some reason his outburst caused her own temper to flare, and she crossed her arms in frustration. “Well what would you have me do, Inuyasha? Stay on here as your mistress? Humiliate my sister even more by having the public know that while she may be Queen, it is the younger Higurashi sister who owns the King's bed?”
 
At that Inuyasha blushed and looked away, his tirade slowing slightly. “That's not what I meant, Kagome.”
 
She put her hands on her hips. “Well, that's the only option there is, because I cannot marry you, not now that you are promised to my sister.”
 
“It wouldn't be the first time a royal engagement has been called off.”
 
At first Kagome just blinked at that, trying to make sure she heard him correctly. Once she was sure, however, she just felt a sense of rage on her sister's behalf, knowing that emotion was surfacing in order to bury the love she felt for the man before her…the love that was insisting she listen to what he had to say.
 
That just wasn't an option.
 
“No Inuyasha.”
 
“Damn it Kagome!”
 
“No!” She shouted right back in his face, causing him to back off slightly. “I will not do such a thing to my sister. There is nothing worse than stealing away a woman's husband…but to do it to your own sister? That is even worse. To me, that is no better than betrayal. I will not betray her in that way.”
 
It was as though, with her words, the fight went out of him, because the proud hanyou King suddenly slumped his shoulders forward and let out an exhausted, almost disappointed sigh, his eyes full of pain and longing as he looked back over at her, his voice soft and uncertain. “So…it doesn't matter what I say?”
 
Tears misted over the corners of her eyes, but Kagome furiously blinked them away, nodding her head slowly, the motion feeling heavy and forced. “You could offer me the world, Inuyasha,” She slowly spoke, trying not to let her voice catch, though he could already smell her tears. “It wouldn't matter. I love my sister, and regardless of how I feel about you, or how happy I was last night, I cannot betray her like that. I just can't…please try to understand that.”
 
There was a long silence, in which time the hanyou looked away for a moment, clenching his fists tightly so that she could see little streams of blood where his claws had pierced his right hand. But finally, it was as though all weakness left him, because Inuyasha straightened his back proudly and lifted his chin into the air, his face once more as blank as a sheet of paper. “Very well, Kagome. If that is your wish,” only a twitch of his jaw showed how hard he was trying to withhold his emotions, “I won't bother you about it again.”
 
Kagome felt the tears begin flowing in earnest at that point, but didn't care any more, knowing she had just lost her final chance of having some part of Inuyasha in her life.
 
“I thank you, Your Majesty,” she said with a flourish, managing a curtsy even in her sleeping robe before standing up and moving to her large wardrobe cupboard to retrieve a gown for the day. “I just have one last favor to ask.”
 
Kagome thought she saw his eyes soften slightly as she spoke. “What would that be?”
 
She blushed, knowing what she was about to ask, but genuinely needing the help. “I can't get my shift on by myself. Would you help me?”
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
The castle was still fairly quiet despite the fact that it was becoming later, and Kikyou relished in the repose the silence offered her. For once there was no need to put on an act; no need to pretend she was perfect in every way and never falter for fear of causing more rumors to circulate.
 
That particular morning she found herself strolling through the long, window-lit corridor that was home to all the portraits of the monarchs throughout the world. Every castle in the country had one such corridor, the only difference being that Inuyasha's palace had all the portraits of the former Kings and Queens of the country as well as all the current monarchs.
 
Dressed in a simple gown of red, her hair for once just falling down over her shoulders and to her waist in black waves, Kikyou walked with her hands clasped before her at her waist, her footsteps slow and without purpose as she passed a portrait of Bankotsu, his long hair in its usual braid as he posed with his prized weapon, his gigantic blade, which was resting over his shoulder and extending out far behind him. She smiled as she recalled how much he had liked Kagome, and how the two had flirted with such free abandon that Kikyou had almost considered changing her sister's engagement.
 
Then she came to a portrait of Kouga, standing proud with his own objects in the background, though in his case it was, naturally, a pack of wolves as befitted the King of the North as well as the ruler of the wolf tribes. His black hair was in its usual ponytail, and his white shirt was loosely tucked into black pants, blowing in an invisible breeze as he smiled and his blue eyes twinkled merrily.
 
Then again, she thought to herself, Kagome would be happy with him as well. He was cheerful and outgoing, as was she. And, suddenly, Kagome's happiness mattered to Kikyou more than it had before…after all, the girl had done so much to help her she couldn't help but want to return the favor in some way.
 
Next came Sesshoumaru's portrait, the proud stance of Inuyasha's older brother unmistakable as he stood with his long, elegant white ermine robe of state. There was no crown on his head, as was the case with the other monarch's portraits, but then again no crown was needed. You could tell by the set of his shoulders and his confident stance that this man was fit to be a King, and behind him, curled in the background, was a large, white, fierce looking dog, which Kikyou knew to be his transformed demon form.
 
Ignoring all the portraits of the many monarchs throughout the world, including those of King Francis of France, Charles of Spain, and Henry of England, Kikyou moved on to look at the portrait of the man she was to marry, gazing at Inuyasha's strong face as he clutched the tetsusaiga in his left hand, looking intimidating and yet relaxed all at once. As always, the painter hadn't quite been able to do justice to the hanyou's beautiful eyes, but otherwise everything was perfect, with his long silver hair blowing out behind him and his face in an expression of determination.
 
Sighing, Kikyou turned away and moved to one of the floor-to-ceiling windows, touching the glass with her fingers as she peered out into the courtyard beyond, which, while bare of most trees and plants as Queen Kagura didn't seem all that interested in planting greenery, still held its own beauty nonetheless.
 
Did she even love him? Perhaps she'd thought herself in love with him at one time, but, in all honesty, Kikyou Higurashi could not honestly reply to herself that she loved Inuyasha, the man she was to marry in approximately five weeks.
 
When she'd first introduced herself to him, she'd had nothing but the idea of a crown in her mind, wanting to prove to the world that she could still amount to something in life despite her disastrous affair with Onigumo. But, over time, she'd begun to think perhaps she loved him, because he seemed to harbor an inner pain similar to the wounds she felt in her own heart, though she knew his wounds stemmed from a lonely childhood whereas hers came from a true love gone all wrong.
 
Unfortunately, about the time their engagement was signed and sealed by both themselves and witnesses, she had begun to realize that she didn't love him the way she'd always imagined she would love the man who would become her husband. It was then that she had come to realize she would never love another man the way she'd loved Onigumo…the devilishly handsome rogue who had captured her heart at the tender age of thirteen.
 
And so, unsure of what else to do, Kikyou had pulled away from him and thrown herself into the life of the King's fiancée, flaunting her wealth and getting used to the idea of being Queen. She knew she'd broken his heart in the process, and yet, somehow, somewhere in her mind she'd thought it better that he learn such a fact sooner rather than later so that he wouldn't be broken hearted after the marriage vows were spoken.
 
Frankly, a part of her had almost expected him to call off the wedding all together, but he hadn't, and she wasn't sure if he had just accepted that he would be in a loveless marriage as well, or if it was because he was too ashamed to admit that he had chosen the wrong woman to be his wife.
 
Sighing, Kikyou turned and leaned her back against the windows as she tilted her head up towards the ceiling. “A fine situation we find ourselves in, Inuyasha,” she commented to the silence of the room. “But perhaps, with time, we'll grow to love one another as I thought we did in the beginning.”
 
“I wouldn't count on it, my dear Kikyou.”
 
The voice came from out of nowhere, and Kikyou whirled around to find herself staring at none other than Naraku, who was leaning against the wall beside Inuyasha's portrait looking darkly handsome in a dark shirt and pants, his long brown hair catching the light of the sun through the windows, giving it a healthy shine.
 
How had he even come so close without her noticing? Kikyou hadn't even heard footsteps…since when did he move so quietly?
 
“Naraku…” His name came off her lips in a hushed hiss of surprise.
 
He just looked at her steadily for a few seconds in silence before chuckling and stepping forward. “Do you really think you'll be able to love that hanyou, Kikyou? Do you honestly think you can settle for a man who is neither demon nor human, but merely a disgusting mix of the two?”
 
Raising her head slightly, Kikyou gave him one of her coldest stares. “He may only be a hanyou, but he has more honor than most men in this world, and that is good enough for me.”
 
Chuckling again, Naraku took another step forward, to which Kikyou responded by stepping back, though she found herself stuck when she ran into the window. The dark man continued to move forward until he had pinned her with his arms on either side of her body, his breath tickling her nose.
 
“I know you could never be happy with that, Kikyou,” he breathed, and in spite of herself Kikyou found herself shivering slightly, his deep voice causing vibrations to run up and down her spine.
 
Damn it all…why did he still have such an effect on her?
 
Lifting her chin proudly, she huffed. “I could be very happy as his wife and Queen. He is proud and strong, and I will be his loyal wife.”
 
At that Naraku threw his head back and laughed. “You can't even be loyal to him now, Kikyou…why do you think marriage vows will change any of that?”
 
“Just what are you implying?”
 
“That even now, as you proclaim your loyalty to Inuyasha, I know your body is saying differently, and that your heart still remembers your old love…that wimp Onigumo.”
 
Kikyou gave him a hard stare. “You are not Onigumo.”
 
He chuckled again. “No, I'm not; I'm better than he ever was. I'm more of a man…I'm stronger, and I'm much smarter than he was. I would never allow myself to be so entranced by a woman that I would forget who I am. Although, I must admit, it is at times sorely tempting…” He leaned closer suggestively, his lips hovering dangerously close to hers, but Kikyou turned her head and ducked away from him, moving to stand before Inuyasha's large portrait as she crossed her arms.
 
“If you think I would ever give anything of myself to you, you are sorely mistaken. I loved Onigumo, yes; but you are not him. The man I loved clearly died in that Tower.”
 
“The Tower you put him in!” Naraku snapped, causing her to jump slightly as he moved towards her like a predator stalking its prey. “You gave in to what your stupid little friends said and left me to rot! You left me to fade away into nothing, and it was only when I found the strength of cruelty in my breast, along with the intense hate for you in my soul, that I found something to hold on to and keep me alive.” He smirked and took another step towards her. “So, in a way, you kept me alive even as you put me in that hell, Kikyou.”
 
Hearing such words caused Kikyou to shudder, and she looked away, trying to ignore the intense look in his eyes as he moved forward. “If you hate me so much,” she spoke, still looking away, unable to meet his gaze, “Then what do you want from me Naraku?”
 
He smirked at that and paused, cocking his head. “The part of me that is Naraku may hate you, Kikyou Higurashi, but the part that is Onigumo is still entranced, and the combination of such hate and obsessive love forces me to be drawn to you, whether I like it or not.” He moved forward again so that he was before her once more, though this time he made no move to trap her against the wall. “I find my body wanting yours once more…and it's such a tempting fire I am not able to put it out.”
 
Kikyou felt him move his lips to the curve of her neck, right where it met her collarbone, and felt her body shiver, horrified as some part of her desired to lean forward into his offered caress. But at the last moment she pulled away and stepped two or three paces to the left, shooting him an uncertain gaze. “You can't have me that way again, Naraku…I won't betray Inuyasha like that.”
 
For a moment there was silence so tense and full of hidden desires anyone walking by would have felt stifled, before Naraku finally looked up and gave her a look that she remembered well; it was the look Onigumo had given all of his conquests so many years ago. The look which had melted so many virtuous hearts and persuaded so many virgins into his bed…including her.
 
Finally, he began to speak again. “Your loyalty is admirable, Kikyou, but don't you sometimes just wish you could find some peace for yourself?” He took a step forward, and this time as he placed a hand on her arm she didn't pull away in spite of the fact that her inner voice was screaming at her to turn and run.
 
Naraku smiled, seeing her falling into his trap perfectly. She hadn't changed as much as he'd thought…still clay in his hands if he so chose. Perhaps he should allow Onigumo's old self to come forth more often.
 
“Don't you sometimes just long for a chance to give yourself what you want?” He continued, his voice low and soothing, similar to the low purring of a cat, and he watched in satisfaction as her muscles began to relax under his ministrations. “I could give you that, Kikyou…I could give you repose from such strain and cruel words.”
 
Without meaning to, Kikyou found herself letting forth a soft sigh of desire at the thought, her heart beginning to recall the look of a man with dark hair and eyes, his roguish smile chasing away all of her fears as he held her against him in a fast waltz, or as he laughed and downed a goblet of wine.
 
Slowly…insidiously the man beside her, including his voice, began to change, and before long Kikyou felt as though she were seeing and hearing Onigumo, the man she had loved, and still loved, deep in her heart.
 
Without thinking or realizing the implications of what she was doing, she turned her head and watched as he moved closer so that his lips hovered over hers, so close…causing her body to lean forward just slightly to close the final few centimeters of distance…
 
“Kikyou!”
 
The raven-haired woman jolted out of her dream and was thrust back into reality as though someone had dumped a bucket of ice water over her head. She leapt away from Naraku, seeing a trace of disappointment and…was it anger?...in his eyes as they both turned to see Kagome, dressed in a simple gown of pale pink and white lace, marching towards them with purpose in her stride.
 
Her eyes narrowed as she continued to move, taking in the situation before her as well as having seen everything from a few moments earlier, when Kikyou had been so close to kissing the one man who had been causing her so much grief throughout the past several weeks.
 
What the hell was she thinking? It was hard enough to convince the court that she was innocent of all adulterous doings without having her be guilty!
 
“Good morning, sister,” she ground out tightly as she finally reached the pair, trying to look cheerful in case anyone should pass by at that particular moment. But when she turned to Naraku her eyes frosted over into a deadly glare, and the man seemed to sense when he was beaten.
 
“I suppose I should go and get some breakfast as I have not yet eaten this morning,” he commented coolly, his voice once more hard as flint, not the soothing tone he'd used on Kikyou a few moments before. He bowed for both women in an overly elegant manner before turning and walking away.
 
Once he had disappeared beyond the long corridor, Kagome whirled on Kikyou with furious eyes, feeling not only angry that her sister had been willing to throw away all the work they'd been doing to convince the court that she was virtuous, but also because Kagome had just left Inuyasha, the love of her life, standing in the middle of her room as she exited to head out and find Yuka to share their habitual morning tea.
 
She could still see the flash of loss and sadness that had flickered across his face as she had turned for the door, knowing she was walking away from her only chance to be with him, alone, again before the wedding. They had agreed that it would be best if she left her room alone and he jumped out her window, because then no one could report having seen the King exit the Lady Kagome's bed chambers so suspiciously early in the morning, and so, with one final glance over her shoulder, Kagome had turned her back on the love of her life and shut the door.
 
Now all she was rewarded with was the image of her sister practically allowing Naraku, her despised foe, to kiss her! Damn it all, she would not have her sacrifice be for nothing!
 
“Just what do you think you're doing Kikyou?” She finally demanded after the sisters gazed at one another for several long moments in silence.
 
For once the older woman seemed at a loss for words as she gazed at her hands, twisting them before her nervously. “It's not what it looks like, Kagome. I just…I guess I, well…” She blushed and, for once, seemed very unsettled. “I couldn't help myself. For a moment I swear I was seeing Onigumo again, rather than the man he's become.”
 
Rolling her eyes, Kagome turned away and looked out the windows, searching for some semblance of patience. Finally, she turned back around and looked Kikyou straight in the eyes. “Just make sure it doesn't happen again. You can't afford to have someone other than me seeing you with him like that, do you understand?”
 
It was as though she had become the chastising mother and Kikyou the disrespectful child, and yet neither really objected to the new roles. Kikyou just nodded her head and gave Kagome a grateful smile. “I understand, Kagome.”
 
For once her gaze did not soften as she nodded and turned to walk away. “Make sure that you do understand, Kikyou.” And with that Kagome began to head back towards the kitchens to try and find Yuka.
 
“Kagome?”
 
Turning as she heard her sister call out after her, Kagome shot Kikyou a curious glance. “What?”
 
The older woman lowered her head slightly before raising it again to meet her younger sister's eyes, giving Kagome a warm smile. “Thank you…for everything you've been doing.”
 
“Hn,” Kagome just grunted, turning around once more. “It's beyond sisterly loyalty at this point, Kikyou. I've sacrificed far too much now to turn back, and that means I certainly won't let you ruin everything on some old love affair.” And with that she marched onward, leaving her sister to ponder the curiously cryptic statement with the eyes of the great monarchs surrounding her.