InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The King's Mistress ❯ Gods Among Men ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Notes: Hey everyone! Another chapter is done, and all I can say is this: we get to finally meet Henry VIII of England! He's going to have a very small role in the story as a whole, but I'm still excited to introduce the English culture. It was really fun to write him, though I want everyone to understand that how I depict him and the other members of his court is entirely based on my opinion of how I believed they acted and behaved, which is based on extensive reading of historical fiction and non-fiction novels about the infamous King. So just keep that in mind.
 
I won't take up too much of your time, but I figured I should address a few questions I've been asked by some of you. So here are the answers, and then on with the show! Enjoy!
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
Why would it be at least two months before Kikyou would know? It would only be like a month, right?
 
Actually, in that era, women would often wait for at least three months before announcing anything, for several reasons, though one of the main reasons was because women didn't have consistent menstrual cycles back then. Frequently a woman would go six weeks to two months in between, due to lack of food, or a disease or something else of that sort. And besides that, it takes a while before you start having any sort of symptoms…and since they didn't have pregnancy tests back then, they had to just wait and see if their bellies got bigger! So Kikyou would have to wait for at least two months to know anything for certain.
 
Is Kagome pregnant?
 
Kagome is not pregnant. I put in there a comment about how she was relieved that she had started her period, but that it had not even occurred to her before that moment that she could have wound up pregnant with Inuyasha's baby as a result of her actions. That will keep her a little more careful from now on, eh?
 
How many chapters are left in this story?
 
Man everyone keeps asking me this…are you all that desperate for it to be over or something? lol Actually, you can always check my profile page (though the dumb thing's not updating like it's supposed to right now) to see how many chapters are estimated to be left in a story. But I'll just tell you all anyway. I'm thinking approximately twelve chapters are remaining.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
Title: The King's Mistress
 
Author: dolphingirl0113
 
Chapter Twenty-Two: Gods Among Men
 
Rating: PG-13 (for language and, at times, implied sexual situations)
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha, nor do I take credit for several of the historical ideas, facts, and realities I have taken and used.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
At first, it was not difficult to keep Kikyou's secret, for the court was swept away (myself included) on the rush of planning the royal wedding that was fast becoming the greatest event the country had ever seen. Noble families from all four sectors of the country, including the vassals, were arriving every day as no one wanted to be too late to see the famous King Henry and his court arrive a week before the wedding.
 
Personally I had my hands full just balancing the duties of the Summer Maiden, not to mention working with Rin (and occasionally Kikyou) every day on seating charts, processional orders, and menus for all the great banquets.
 
Like all royal weddings, who walked where was of great importance, and so Kikyou spent nearly a week working out which women would have the honor of walking before her, which would carry her crown to hand off to the priest, etc. It came as no surprise that I was chosen to have the highest honor...carrying the train of the soon-to-be Queen, and I knew it was Kikyou's first attempt at making amends for all she had put upon me in the past several months.
 
It wasn't much...and, frankly, it was almost more agonizing to be forced to be in the wedding, rather than standing on the sidelines with Kouga and Bankotsu on either side of me, for this way once Kikyou reached the alter I would be forced to step aside....right next to Inuyasha. That was one moment I was dreading more than life itself.
 
But I knew I couldn't dwell on it, for then I would fall into a melancholy and get nothing done. So I pushed it to the back of my mind, and worked on making sure all the golden goblets being forged in the North in commemoration of such an event were going to be ready, that the yards of cloth forthe floor was being sent over from the East, and that all the fresh flowers from the South (ironic, in my mind, that Kagura should be the one to send the flowers) were arriving on schedule...
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
The day had come. In less than two hours, Inuyasha would welcome Henry VIII, possibly the greatest monarch of their time, and his court, to Sesshoumaru's home in the West.
 
The caravan had been spotted moving steadily inward from the sea, and Kagome had been frantically running about for the past few days to ensure that all was in order. The King's quarters had been furnished exactly to his tastes, and two equally important chambers had been prepared on either side of his rooms (per his command) for both Anne Boleyn and his slighted wife, Queen Katherine of Aragorn.
 
With his sharp ears, the hanyou King could hear all of the bustling taking place in the hallways beyond, where no doubt the women were double checking all their hard work. One voice above all the others stood out in his mind, and Inuyasha couldn't resist smiling softly as Kagome barked an order (as kindly as possible) at a servant who had not done his or her job properly. One would never guess it from her kind and polite nature, but she was a surprisingly good leader who was perfect when it came to instructing others with a firm but kind hand. All of the servants, no matter what the rest of the court circulated about her, respected Kagome and were willing to do whatever she asked.
 
That was truly rare…in anyone, man or woman.
 
"Are you nervous, brother?"
 
Inuyasha blinked and turned to look at Sesshoumaru, who was reclining, rather stiffly, on his large throne...the throne that had once belonged to their father. The hanyou noted (with some annoyance) that his older brother was the perfect size, not having met the same problem as he had of being too small.
 
Their difference in size had always been something that bothered him.
 
"Keh," he grunted and looked away, though he couldn't resist fiddling with the cloth of his red shirt, which Kagome had chosen for him that morning since he'd been too moody to care, though he recalled her mumbling something along the lines of how red was a flattering color against his amber eyes and silver hair...not that he'd been paying that much attention. "I'm not at all nervous."
 
Sesshoumaru didn't even bat an eye. "You're a terrible liar, little brother."
 
Inuyasha winced at the world 'little', knowing it was meant more as a jab at his inferior size than as an affectionate title, like when Kikyou referred to Kagome as her little sister. "Perhaps I'm just unhappy that I have to do so much to prepare for this Henry VIII...he's only a man, after all."
 
"Who is very highly thought of in the world," the older demon lord reminded him.
 
“And since when did you become someone who respected human monarchs?”
 
“I never said I respect him…I merely stated the fact that most of the rest of the world does.”
 
The hanyou rolled his eyes and looked away from his brother. "Keh, I don't see how you could be that well thought of when you're slighting a wife who has been nothing but faithful for over twenty years all for the sake of one woman who had the courage to say 'no' to his desires."
 
At that Sesshoumaru raised an eyebrow. "So you think that's why the Lady Boleyn said no, and continues to say no even now?"
 
Inuyasha just grunted to that, knowing there were many who now believed she was doing it all...leading the King on and tantalizing him but never quite giving in...on purpose, to eventually claim the throne as her own. "Who knows what runs through the mind of a woman," he finally replied.
 
"Indeed..." The demon lord lifted his head so that his eyes flicked towards the high, vaulting ceiling, seeming to study the intricate details of the rafters for a moment before returning his gaze forward once more, towards the door that led from the throne room into the main entryway. "Tell me, Inuyasha…what are your thoughts on this new man to court...this Naraku?"
 
Inuyasha blinked and tried to gain his footing at the sudden change of topic, though he wasn't exactly surprised. Frankly, he had been wondering why the older son of Inutaisho hadn't brought it up sooner, considering how he was normally so attentive to the smallest details when it came to knowing who every person in his court was. "Well he's not exactly new to court. He was a courtier before, but under a different name."
 
"That doesn't answer my question."
 
"I don't like him, if that's what you're asking," the hanyou snapped, never having been able to have a civil conversation with his older brother. He always felt threatened in the powerful lord's presence...and always had. That was probably due, in part, to the fact that he sometimes secretly thought that Sesshoumaru should have been chosen as the High King.
 
"So you do recognize that he is false," Sesshoumaru seemed to say more to himself, before looking back at his brother. "That is good."
 
"Keh, of course I do...what do you think I am, stupid?"
 
"Of course not," though Inuyasha could hear the sarcasm in that forcedly polite statement, made only for the reason that there could always be someone listening…though with two men who had such incredible hearing, it was unlikely that anyone could get near enough to hear anything without being detected. "It's just that you sometimes have a way of ignoring the people in your court so much that you don't see them for what they really are."
 
"Well I didn't invite him back," the hanyou bit out between clenched teeth, trying not to sound like a child beside his older brother's extremely calm demeanor. "That bitch of a Queen, Kagura, introduced him back into court life without asking my permission first. Before I knew what was happening the man was in my circle once more, and ever since he's been stirring up all kinds of trouble."
 
"For Kikyou...yes, I know."
 
Inuyasha winced at the mention of his fiancée, recalling how she had demanded that he tell her whether or not he believed the rumors circulating about her and Naraku, and how he had been unable to answer. He had hurt her then, and things had not been the same between them since...but he still couldn't bring himself to console her with a false reply of faith and trust.
 
The truth was, that trust just wasn't there…and probably never had been, if both of them were so easily capable of doubting one another. Yet another of his regrets in regards to the woman he was soon to marry.
 
The hanyou swallowed, feeling his brother's eyes upon him and knowing he needed to make a statement if he didn't want to appear suspicious. "It has been...difficult for us both since he arrived. Kikyou has clearly been on edge, and we have not been getting along as we should this close to our wedding." That was as much information as he dared give…even to someone who he knew would say nothing to anyone.
 
Sesshoumaru grunted at that. "And since when did the two of you ever get along?"
 
Inuyasha's amber eyes flashed, offended, at that statement. "What exactly is that supposed to mean, brother?"
 
"As I recall, when I came to witness your coronation a year after father died and you two announced your engagement, you seemed to already be having problems. She was being cold to you, you said, and in turn you were less willing to have her at your side."
 
The hanyou tried to ignore the truth behind that statement, knowing there wasn't much he could say in response. "Keh, that shows how much you know when it comes to relationships, Sesshoumaru...very little."
 
The Lord of the West simply cocked an eyebrow at that and placed his remaining hand under his chin. "And yet I am the one who has been married now, successfully, for almost a year with no trouble."
 
"Keh!" Inuyasha chose not to respond to that.
 
Sesshoumaru watched his brother, sitting as he was on the harsh stone floor of the throne room, his arms and legs crossed, giving him a very childlike look in his otherwise adult attire, complete with a red shirt, black pants, and deep red cloak trailing out behind him on the ground. A pout was on his face, and his amber eyes were frosted over coldly.
 
Something had changed.
 
Before, when he had voiced his concerns regarding the marriage to Kikyou, Inuyasha had done nothing but argue back that it was the right thing to do. Now, it seemed as though a part of the hanyou almost agreed that it was a mistake.
 
What had happened in the nine months since the engagement was announced?
 
"Inuyasha," he finally began, using the hanyou's name to show he was serious. "Do you still want to marry Kikyou?"
 
Sesshoumaru had never been one to waltz around a subject, which the hanyou knew, but even so Inuyasha was taken aback by the direct question, and also by the fact that his brother had become able to read him so well.
 
On instinct, his temper kicked in, and Inuyasha launched to his feet, his eyes narrowed in a dark glare. "Of course I still want to marry her! How dare you imply that I would base my decisions on the rumors of the court?"
 
His brother just cocked his head slightly. "I implied nothing of the sort, brother. I merely asked if you, personally, still wanted to marry her, although a King must also keep in mind the will of his people. He cannot afford to have the entire country hate him…he will never keep his throne."
 
Inuyasha seemed to deflate at that, knowing he had just made a fool of himself and only succeeded in proving Sesshoumaru's point. Grunting, he turned towards the door and started walking...quickly.
 
"I don't have to answer this," he muttered as he opened the giant door and slammed it, thanks to his hanyou strength, behind him, the crash resounding throughout the room for several seconds after.
 
Sesshoumaru didn't even flinch, instead remaining still on his throne as he heard a new pair of feet approach the door, these ones lighter, and he knew who it was the moment he heard the delicate, feminine grunt as Rin heaved the door open and entered, nodding to him as she moved forward.
 
"What did you say to him this time?" She asked simply, moving to sit on the arm of his massive throne, fixing her yellow skirts so that they billowed around her modestly. "Inuyasha seemed rather upset."
 
The demon lord just grunted and looked away. "I asked him if he still wanted to marry Kikyou, and he became very offended."
 
Rin chuckled. "And that surprises you, my lord? You basically implied that his judgment in choosing a wife is faulty."
 
"Perhaps it is."
 
The young woman just sighed and rolled her eyes, knowing the tension underlying between the two brothers would never change. They were just too different...one forced to become older than his years through many wars, with a personality that was stoic and yet also noble, honest, and strong, the other young and brash, with a temper that could shake mountains.
 
Sesshoumaru had been raised from birth to believe in his nobility and pure demon blood, trained from day one to be a King...whereas Inuyasha's whole life had been surrounded by hurt and uncertainty thanks to the human blood that ran in his veins. The older hated the younger for being a hanyou and still getting the throne, and the younger hated the older for being a pure demon and technically better in the eyes of the public.
 
It was no wonder the two had never gotten along.
 
Finally, after the silence had gone on long enough and Rin felt that the man beside her had been given ample time to recover his calm, she turned and looked him directly in the eyes. "What prompted you to ask that question?"
 
"Which question?"
 
"About whether or not he still wanted to marry Kikyou?"
 
Sesshoumaru gave a barely noticeable shrug of his shoulders, his expression unchanging, though Rin could see by the glint in his eyes that he was taking her seriously. "He just seems less willing to defend the woman than he was before...and a lot less enthusiastic about the marriage in general."
 
Having noticed the same thing, Rin nodded her head and cocked it thoughtfully. "Well, perhaps he is in love with someone else."
 
That got his attention, because Sesshoumaru turned and looked his wife full in the face. "Who? My brother doesn't seem like the type to do such a thing, even though he is stupid and foolish at times."
 
Rin just smiled. "Haven't you noticed the way he always seems to become alert when Kagome Higurashi walks into the room? Didn't you see the way he helped her down from her horse that first day, and how there seemed to be this massive amount of tension between them, as though they shared a deep secret?" She shrugged her shoulders, thinking of the kind girl with dark hair and deep eyes. "Kagome always seems sad and forlorn despite her otherwise cheerful facade, and no matter what I do, that tragic glint never goes away...unless Inuyasha is in the room."
 
Sesshoumaru remained silent for a time, turning over in his head what Rin was saying, before nodding his head in agreement, turning to look at the large tapestry hanging down from the ceiling of the royal family as it had once been, with Inutaisho, his wife, Sesshoumaru before he had lost his arm in battle, and a very young Inuyasha who was standing protectively in his mother's shadow. They had not been a loving family, but back then they had been a united one, and as much as he hated to admit it the demon lord sometimes longed for those days of peace and certainty...for now it seemed the general population was bent on tearing he and his brother apart with this feud they all envisioned in their minds.
 
He and Inuyasha did not get along…that was true. But they weren't feuding. Neither would ever attack the other, and Sesshoumaru, while still somewhat offended that his father had chosen the younger son to rule, would never even contemplate usurping the throne. To do so would mean he would be dishonoring his father's memory, and that was not an option.
 
"I suppose I have seen some of that," he finally conceded, though Rin was the only being in the world who he would ever allow see the side of him that wasn't completely all-knowing. "And the Lady Kagome seems to be an honorable woman, with integrity and strength, so I can understand my brother's attraction to her."
 
Rin nodded her beautiful head, smiling kindly at her husband, though he only returned the gesture by softening his eyes. She didn't care. She loved this man with his cold demeanor and radiating inner strength more than life itself, and would follow him to the ends of the earth if asked.
 
Most women required open love, with endearing thoughts and verbalized words, their husbands showering them constantly with gifts of treasure and fabric. But not Rin. All she wanted was a husband who clearly respected and loved her for who she was, and thought she was better than most. That was the greatest compliment of all, coming from a man who frowned down upon most of mankind, and especially on humans, after having seen the way his younger brother was so despised initially for being the offspring of mixed blood.
 
"Kagome is a remarkable woman for someone her age," she replied at last, once she'd had her fill of his handsome profile with his sharp jaw line and fierce golden eyes.
 
At that she almost thought she saw amusement light his face as he turned to look at her. "You speak as though she is but a child and you an old woman, when in truth you two are basically the same age."
 
Rin shrugged her shoulders. "Having lived with you, I feel as though I have grown up. And I thank you for that."
 
A tender silence ensued, one that, had anyone else seen it, they would have been struck with disbelief...for to most Sesshoumaru was a cold and unfeeling man without the capacity to love. But in that moment he would have shown anyone that he loved Rin just as much as she loved him, respecting her gentle nature and ability to understand his moods.
 
Finally, looking back towards the door as they both heard Kagome call out for a golden vase from the kitchens, Rin softened her eyes and worried her lip slightly. "Do you think he's making a mistake?"
 
"Who...Inuyasha?"
 
"Yes."
 
Sesshoumaru allowed a small sigh to escape his lips. "Yes; but I cannot make this decision for him. If he is making a mistake, he will know soon enough."
 
"But by then it will be too late." Rin worried her hands into a knot at her waist, rising to her feet. "Unlike Henry VIII, most men cannot afford to spend years trying to obtain a divorce from the Pope...and after all the trouble that's caused England, I don't think any other monarch would dare anyway."
 
The demon lord shifted and shrugged his shoulders slightly. "There is nothing I can do, Rin; if such advice came from me, then my brother would be sure to ignore it. That is how things are between us...you know that."
 
She sighed. "I know it, and yet it is ridiculous." Crossing her arms, she took a few steps towards the door. "Well, perhaps he shall come to his senses before the wedding."
 
"I doubt it." His voice was cold once more, but she knew he was right.
 
"Than I shall pray that we are wrong, and that he may find happiness."
 
Sesshoumaru nodded his head, but then cocked an eyebrow and brought his chin down to rest on his hand again as a thought occurred to him. "I think, Rin, that perhaps the one who truly needs your prayers right now is Kagome."
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
Kagome was relieved to note that everything seemed to be falling into place in time for the arrival of King Henry and his court. With Rin's more than willing assistance, all of the gold-crusted ivory plates had been polished to a sheen, the silverware gleamed under the reflection of the candles, the walls of the palace (save for where they were covered with the royal tapestries) were draped in purple and gold velvet cloth, and all the ladies and gentlemen of the court had followed through to be dressed in their best attire…not that such a request was met with complaint. Everyone wanted to impress Europe's Golden Prince.
 
Inuyasha, Sesshoumaru, Kagura, Bankotsu, and Kouga all stood at the head of the long aisle of people, a wide trail of rose petals (Kagome's personal touch) lining the floor from the doorway through to the throne room, where the five monarchs proudly stood, though Inuyasha was slightly elevated due to his rank as the High King.
 
It was interesting how each monarch chose to present themselves differently, in the style of their respective sectors of the country. To Kagome, they all looked like monarchs, but in different ways, some more intimidating or regal than others. She decided to take note of that for the future, when she would eventually wear the crown of the North. She always wanted people to see her as a Queen before they even knew her name. She wanted to be like Inuyasha's mother…though she recognized that was a fete that would not be easy to achieve.
 
Sesshoumaru, by far the most regal of them all, had dressed himself in his honorary armored breastplate of copper, which was polished to a sheen, reflecting the faces of those around him along with the light pouring in through the generous windows above. His pants were baggy and dyed a unique teal, almost blue color, with a white, long-sleeved shirt poking through the armor, which only covered his shoulders, the empty sleeve on his right side hidden partially by a long, wealthy ermine cloak that pooled around him on the floor.
 
As usual he wore no crown, his silver hair billowing out around him and falling to the ground, and the only piece of jewelry that Kagome could see was a large golden brooch hanging from his neck, appearing to be a huge circle of gold (probably larger than her hand) with a smaller cut circular ruby in the center. Two swords were at his waist, a smaller hilt which Kagome recognized as the ceremonial tenseiga he had received when he was named ruler of the West, along with a much larger sword that Kagome did not recognize. But it was understandable that he might wish for a sword of his own, along with the one that had been forged from one of the fangs of his father.
 
Rin was at his side, dressed in the same gown she had worn when Inuyasha's court had first arrived, the rubies adorning her hair, arms, and fingers matching the ruby set in the gold brooch hanging on Sesshoumaru's chest. They certainly made quite a pair.
 
Kagura was beside Sesshoumaru on the far left, standing alone with her usual smirk as she wore a gown of light purple outlined in dark purple velvet, a peculiar feather fan in her hand that she seemed content to hold halfway over her face, her dark hair pulled back into a twisted ponytail that fell only about half as long as Rin's. Kagome almost giggled to herself, wondering if the woman thought the fan made her look mysterious or alluring…because in reality it just made her look strange.
 
To Inuyasha's direct right stood Kouga, dressed in his usual causal yet handsome loose white shirt and black pants. He was by far wearing the least complex outfit, but then again he'd told Kagome time and again how the people of the North valued comfort over appearance…something she could appreciate, having been forced to wear a corset now several times. The only thing that was different was the fact that instead of the simple shoes he normally wore, he now wore elegant, fur-lined tan boots, which Kagome thought looked extremely out of place next to the silk shirt and pants…but he had insisted earlier that they were made from a special kind of hide, given to him the day he had been crowned King, and that he could not possibly meet the great King of England without them.
 
A simple crown of gold was atop his head, modest and yet elegant with three encrusted diamonds, his black hair in its usual ponytail hanging over the top of the crown and down over his neck, and like Sesshoumaru, he wore a sword at his waist, though his was much smaller and of a simpler design, appearing to be the only weapon adorning his body. He met her eyes from where she stood surveying everything, and winked, causing her to blush slightly as she gave him a smile.
 
Her heart skipped a beat as she met the deep, dark eyes of Bankotsu, who was standing on the far right dressed in a white shirt hemmed on the edges in blue silk, the sleeves relatively loose until they cuffed at his wrists in a unique fashion, his black pants simple but refined. The shirt left nothing to the imagination when it came to his broad muscular shoulders, though Kagome blushed as she thought she wouldn't mind seeing more of his strong arms, and his black hair was pulled back into its usual braid down to his waist as a crown adorned his head, encrusted with both rubies and diamonds in a rich design befitting the East, which was always known for its extravagance and wealth.
 
There was a large blade strapped to his back, which Kagome knew instantly must be the sword he was so proud of, and she couldn't help but roll her eyes, wondering why all the Kings suddenly felt the need to dress as though for battle. But then again, while they strove for peace throughout the country, Kagome had to remind herself that it was still a place ruled by warriors at heart, and knew they had no problem displaying that fact for the rest of the world to see.
 
She only hoped that King Henry didn't take such a display the wrong way.
 
Once sure that everything was in place and as it should be, Kagome moved to stand between Kouga and Bankotsu, purposefully placing a barrier between herself and the man she dared not look at, but who she had secretly memorized throughout the day as everyone had prepared themselves.
 
Inuyasha looked positively stunning in his shirt of red, which she had selected that morning because of how the color accented his silver hair and amber eyes, a white cape of ermine similar to that of his brother's falling off his shoulders after she had insisted he wear it instead of the red cape he'd had on earlier that day. His pants were a simple black, much like those of Kouga and Bankotsu, but he seemed to carry the outfit much better in her eyes, his hair having been brushed to a sheen, his gaze sharp and his features filled with purpose as he stared at the door, waiting for the trumpets to sound announcing the arrival of his fellow monarch. The large crown that had adorned his head the first day Kagome had seen him at court was once more in place, though he had secretly told her he hated the thing because it constricted his ears, and she giggled at the thought.
 
Allowing her gaze to slide in his direction once, she started when she caught the hanyou looking back at her, and their eyes met for a few seconds as the rest of the world faded away. For an instant he allowed her to see his nervousness and insecurity, to which she simply softened her eyes and put all the faith she could into her reassuring smile. And just like that, the look faded once more as he turned to face forward, the mask seamlessly in place.
 
Moving her gaze further to the left, Kagome finally allowed herself to observe Kikyou, who stood regal and proud dressed in a gown of red and white, matching her betrothed. She wore diamonds in her hair, which was done up in an elegant and time-consuming style of intricate braids that fell over her shoulders, some circling her ears, while others fell down her back. Kagome knew it had taken the maids nearly two hours to complete the task, and could still hear Kikyou's sighs of impatience as she'd waited perched on the stool before her mirror, though in the end she'd decided it was worth it after seeing the result.
 
Kagome couldn't have agreed more, feeling that her sister had never looked more regal. Like Inuyasha, for some reason red was a good color for her, giving her skin, which lately had been pale from exhaustion, a vibrant glow, her dark eyes a sharp contrast to the bright color, giving her a deep, mysterious face that was perfectly chiseled and stunningly beautiful.
 
As usual, her gown was complete with tight sleeves, her bust a little more daring than most (though many women of the court had begun to model their gowns after Kikyou, which both sisters took as a good sign that people were starting to forgive her), accented by the necklace of diamonds that fell from her throat in an upside-down triangle to dangle temptingly above what was still considered a somewhat modest display of cleavage.
 
Kikyou was stunning. That was the only way anyone could see it, and even though Kagome knew that had been her purpose when she'd helped her sister get ready earlier that morning, now she still felt that old twinge of jealousy that came from the ancient rivalry, that need to outdo one another, that had existed between the two sisters since long before either had ever come to court.
 
A hand on her arm jolted her out of her thoughts, and Kagome turned to find Bankotsu looking at her intently, clearly having seen where her eyes had been directed. He smiled at her, and for an instant she was able to forget about all other sensations besides the burning touch of the handsome King, his deep violet eyes pulling her into another world.
 
It was strange that she loved Inuyasha so much and yet was so attracted to this man…and yet, for some reason, Kagome was grateful for such an attraction, because it clearly existed between both of them, and yet neither was willing to pursue anything more for their own personal reasons. Instead it was just, frankly, a whole lot of fun…something Kagome's life had been seriously lacking lately.
 
“You're just as beautiful as she is,” the Eastern King whispered, to which Kagome blinked.
 
“I don't know what you're talking about,” she feigned ignorance, though she knew exactly what he was referring to. Dear God, was she that obvious?
 
Bankotsu's eyes softened. “Kagome, I've seen the way you watch your older sister…like you're watching some goddess who will always be better than you.” His smile widened. “That's just not true. I think you're the most beautiful woman in the world.”
 
Kagome glanced down at the burgundy gown that Inuyasha had said he loved so much…the first dress he had given her when he'd made her the Summer Maiden. The white velvet outlining all the seams did give her figure a very curvy outline, accenting her slim waist before sweeping out in generous skirts. And she had purposefully worn the pearls Inuyasha had given her so long ago, looping the strand once tightly around her neck before allowing it to fall loosely down her chest, more pearls hanging from her ears, a long strand belted at her waist, along with the circlets of pearls in her hair, which had been heavily curled and pulled back to fall over her shoulders and down her back.
 
Feeling the flirtatious bug return, she smiled meaningfully up at Bankotsu and gave him a wink. “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, my lord.”
 
“Well I personally think that whoever beholds you should think you're stunningly beautiful. A man would have to be blind or stupid,” he glanced at Inuyasha, “Or both to not think so.”
 
Kagome giggled at the compliment, despite the fact that he had just insulted the man that she loved. After all, it wasn't like she never said anything offensive to the hanyou King when in a bad mood. “You flatter me.”
 
He smirked and leaned closer, taking her hand in his despite the fact that the entire court was present, some watching while others pretended to look elsewhere. His lips brushed the back of her hand, and Kagome shivered with that hidden desire that only seemed to come when he was in the room. It was different than her desire for Inuyasha, less beautiful and more primal…but still arousing and pleasant nonetheless.
 
“You deserve to be flattered, my lady,” he whispered huskily, winking as he noticed her shiver as his warm breath hit her skin. “It is a pity I vowed not to marry, or else I should fight Kouga for your hand.”
 
Kagome blushed as she glanced over at Kouga, who had been listening to everything that the pair had been saying with his sharp ears. Feeling she had slighted him enough, she leaned towards the wolf man and looped her arm through his, to which he looked over at her and beamed in pleasure. “While I'm sure Kouga appreciates the warning, I'm sure you would find it harder to win my hand than you think my lord.”
 
Bankotsu smiled at the wolf in genuine friendship, the two obviously getting along, unlike the Eastern King and his relationship with Inuyasha. “Oh, I could take you from him, Kagome…I can be very persuasive when I want to be.”
 
Shuddering again, Kagome didn't doubt a word he said. But still, she grinned mischievously and looked up at her fiancé. “And are you just going to let him speak to me this way, my lord?” She gave him a fake pout. “I thought you said I was your woman, and that you would always defend my honor.”
 
At that, seeing the playfulness that had once been so normal in Kagome's personality, Kouga threw his head back and laughed out loud, his blue eyes twinkling as several of the court members ceased their conversations to see what was so funny, though they quickly lost interest when they couldn't hear what the trio was saying.
 
“My lady,” the wolf man finally replied, still chuckling, “I shall defend your honor until I die. How would you like me to defend you? Shall I call out our dear friend? Shall it be a duel to the death? Or shall we race, and the first to trip or run out of breath loses?”
 
It was such a ridiculous suggestion that Bankotsu and Kagome laughed as well, drawing the attention of the other monarchs, Inuyasha's eyes boring into her back, though Kagome did her best to ignore them. She wished she could remain between these two men forever…these two men who, together, lifted her spirits and made her feel precious and valued beyond anything she could ever imagine.
 
Inuyasha had made her feel that way once…one night…a night that needed to be forgotten, and Kagome found that she yearned for such attention from others despite the fact that she knew it was vain and wanton of her to wish for such things.
 
Bankotsu was the first to recover, standing up straighter and trying to look serious. “Well you know I would prefer a duel to the death, Kouga, since I am the stronger fighter. You'd most surely win if we had a race, since you're known for your speed.”
 
“This is true,” Kouga replied. “Which is why I suggested it. You think I want to fight you with that gigantic mallet you call a sword? One swing and I'd be done for.”
 
The Eastern King reached up and touched the mighty blade protectively, though his eyes still twinkled. “Don't be insulting my sword…it is my greatest friend and ally. It has never failed me in battle.”
 
“Well neither has mine considering the fact that I have never been to battle, the same as you,” the wolf replied, sending all three into another fit of laughter.
 
Kagome was so happy when Bankotsu had arrived three days earlier, his very presence seeming to lift the tension from her body every time he smiled or took her hand. And because he flirted with her so openly, many had now shifted back to believing that the young Higurashi sister was having an affair with the wealthy and handsome Eastern King, which no one found nearly as offensive since he was unmarried and not engaged to anyone else. Frankly, they thought the two made a strikingly handsome pair.
 
For some reason, they didn't find the insult an affair would mean to Kouga to be at all offensive to them, though perhaps that was because both Bankotsu and he were merely vassals; when it was their High King, the rules changed.
 
Which was why Kagome trembled in fear to think of what would happen should the court, which seemed to have slowly come to forgive Kikyou for her past sins, discover what the older sister had done with Naraku since his arrival at court…
 
They would tear her down and cut her to pieces…and she would be sent to the scaffold in the end for sure. Such a thought caused Kagome to tremble in fear, and she unconsciously reached up to touch her own neck with suddenly cold fingers.
 
The court was a fickle beast, at times seeming so enticing with all of its jewels, elegant gowns, and parties which occurred almost every night. But like a calm sea, there were dangers beneath the surface; monsters that waited to take you in their jaws and snap you in two should you dare do anything to defy what was deemed appropriate. The only frustration was that the rules changed with each passing generation, for while the King ruled, the people of his court still held a great deal of influence. A king could not rule if every one of his countrymen rebelled, after all.
 
Loud trumpets suddenly sounded from beyond the great gates that separated Sesshoumaru's castle from the outside world. Kagome instantly blinked and was pulled from her thoughts, and as one all heads turned towards the gates, where they saw the guards in the lookout tower move to look out and see who was coming down the road…not that anyone had any doubts of who could be coming behind such a boisterous sound of trumpets.
 
“Who goes there?” One guard called out, keeping true to form. To Kagome, he was nothing more than a little figure at the horizon of her site, as she was standing clear back inside the castle in the throne room, which was the end of the trail that would lead from the main gates through the entryway and finally through the great hall.
 
Still, despite her great distance, she and everyone else heard a boisterous laugh, one that seemed to echo throughout the world, before a loud, confident male voice replied. “I am Henry VIII, King of England, and I come to honor your King and his future Queen!”
 
It was a voice that boasted of confidence, yet it still sounded youthful, almost playful…something Kagome thought to be unbefitting such an important figure. But then again, she had never been one to disapprove of a kind nature, and so, with King Henry's powerful voice echoing in her chest, her heart thumping wildly, she waited as the gates were swung open to reveal the massive court of England.
 
Granted, it was not as large as Inuyasha's court, for no King could bring everyone from his home with him on such a voyage, but it was impressive nonetheless…though Kagome thought the English all looked very stuffy and somewhat arrogant as they surveyed the court before them.
 
All the ladies were dressed in deep, rich colors, including all dark shades of red, purple, gold, blue, and green. Their skirts were larger than those of Inuyasha's country, and their gowns themselves were much more richly adorned with lace, many women having belted chords of jewels around their waists, along with large brooches at their necks, silks seeming to flow in every direction. They all wore hats or caps of some kind or another, which Kagome almost found comical since it gave her an image of preening peacocks, but she chose to keep that observation to herself, and somehow managed to swallow back her laughter.
 
The men weren't much better, their lips pursed into the same arrogant frowns as the women, their pants simple, usually a solid color, and very tight-fitting along with their boots, making their feet look smaller than they probably were. But their shirts made up for such tight simplicity, since they were all very large and loose, bunching at the waistline and accenting the shoulders, giving the impression that all of the men were much bulkier than they actually were. Each shirt was adorned, like the women's gowns, with intricate patters of lace, jewels encrusted on some of the wealthier gentlemen, and like the women, all of the men wore large hats with feathers.
 
At first Kagome didn't get a good look at anyone, considering the fact that she was so far away, and all she could do was watch as each member dismounted (though all of the women required the assistance of the men) and fixed their garments. But the moment they were off their horses, Kagome's eyes were instantly drawn to one figure who seemed to tower over the rest, and she knew the moment he took the lead in the procession towards the royal throne room that she was looking at Henry VIII.
 
He was tall; no one had exaggerated that fact at all. He absolutely towered over everyone, and Kagome thought he was probably as tall as Sesshoumaru, which was impressive since the demon lord was practically a giant compared to everyone else. His legs were well-defined and muscular, accented by his own tight leggings, and Kagome was reminded of something she had read somewhere telling her of how proud he was of his athletic build, and how he took great care to keep his calves healthy and strong.
 
He walked with confidence, as though he knew, deep down, that he was thought of as the most powerful and handsome King in all of Europe, his posture straight and his stride filled with purpose, though it didn't escape Kagome's notice that there was a slight bounce in his step, as though he still retained a certain amount of boyish excitement despite the fact that he was well into his thirties.
 
Such a fact surprised her, and she felt that he had aged rather well. Granted, he was not nearly so handsome as the portraits she had seen of him from his coronation, when he was in his teens and at the height of his youth, but there were still very few wrinkles and lines about his face…though it was a bit rounder than she had expected, accented more so by his brown beard, which she detested instantly having grown up in a country where men seemed to prefer being clean-shaven. It seemed, looking at the other men of the court of England, that beards were the popular look in their country. Still, aside from the roundness of his cheeks that was a small hint at what he would look like as he continued to grow older and gain weight, Henry VIII was not at all disappointing. In fact, he was everything Kagome had expected he would be.
 
His shirt was one of gold and silver velvet and satin, diamonds sparkling off of the sleeves as well as around the neckline. It was the same style as everyone around him, though by far the most elegant, bunching at his waist and giving him, along with every other man, the appearance of having a very wide girth, though Kagome doubted he could be all that heavy considering the shape and fitness of his legs. The top caused his shoulders to look gargantuan, completing his god-like appearance as he walked past everyone, and several rich rings adorned his fingers, along with a hefty gold and diamond brooch that hung on his chest, giving Sesshoumaru's elegant piece of jewelry some competition. Completing the look was a large white and gold hat with a large white feather, clearly intricately designed and carefully preserved for this special occasion.
 
This man was a King. And what was more, he knew it. Kagome had never seen such confidence before…well, perhaps in Sesshoumaru, but he gave off an appearance of being reserved, whereas this King of England seemed to take pleasure in…well…showing off.
 
The thought caused her to smile.
 
His feet, secure in those tight little boots everyone else was wearing, tread softly over the rose petal-covered floor, the scent from the crushed petals doing their job and filling the castle with a sweet scent that caused everyone to relax, and Kagome had to resist reaching for either the comfort of Bankotsu or Kouga as the King of England approached. She had no idea he would have such a presence about him.
 
It was awe-inspiring.
 
When he finally reached the royalty waiting for him at the end of the path, he halted, his train of courtiers stopping several feet behind him. With a signal from his hand, they all fell to their knees in respect, save for two women, and he did not bow either, though Kagome did watch as he inclined his head slightly in respect. He knew he was addressing fellow monarchs, and not his superiors.
 
Such confidence…
 
“The King of England greets King Inuyasha and his court, and thanks him for such an impressive welcome,” he announced proudly, his voice carrying easily from years of public speaking.
 
Inuyasha eyed the man before him as though to measure him against some invisible standard, remaining silent for several seconds, the frown not quite leaving his face as he finally stepped forward. This caused Kagome to furrow her brow, for she knew that meant the hanyou did not like something about the man…and Inuyasha was, when he tried to be, a surprisingly good judge of character.
 
“You are welcome in my court,” the hanyou finally answered, stepping forward and extending his hand in greeting, his voice just as confident, though Kagome couldn't help but notice that his voice did not carry so well. It was to be expected. After all, King Henry had been raised from birth treated as a royal prince, and had been ruling his own country for well over twenty years, whereas Inuyasha, until he was named King, had believed himself to be a lowly hanyou who would eventually be cast off into the West to live alone.
 
The two great men clasped hands firmly for a few seconds before stepping away, and at that point Henry seemed to finally notice the other monarchs behind Inuyasha, because he smiled and inclined his head again, his eyes resting for a few extra seconds on all of the women, including Kagome. She sighed and inwardly rolled her eyes, seeing that his other reputation was accurate as well.
 
“And who might these people, who dress so royally, be?” he asked at last, to which Inuyasha seemed to remember that there were others needing to be introduced, because he turned around and nodded at each in turn.
 
“These are the four vassals of my Kingdom, who rule the four sectors in their own right, though they all still answer to me. Kagura of the South, Kouga of the North, Bankotsu of the East, and my brother, Sesshoumaru of the West.” Each monarch inclined his or her head when their name was spoken, keeping their heads high and noble, refusing to show anything less than the King of England had shown them.
 
Henry just smiled again and nodded. “A pleasure to meet you all. And are the other three ladies your wives?”
 
Kagome blushed at such a direct question, though Rin and Kikyou remained impassive, and her red coloring instantly drew Henry's eyes upon her as he smiled gently, almost seductively. She wondered how many other women had received such a smile…
 
“This is Rin, Sesshoumaru's wife and Queen,” Inuyasha corrected as the woman curtseyed elegantly in her gown of state, the rubies in her hair catching the light of the sun through the windows. “This is Kikyou, my betrothed,” and as he spoke the older Higurashi sister inclined her head flirtatiously and looked at the King of England directly as she curtseyed, as though challenging him, which seemed to catch his interest before Inuyasha moved on to Kagome. “And this is Kagome, my appointed Summer Maiden, and Kouga's fiancée.”
 
As her turn came, Kagome curtseyed awkwardly, still unable to keep up a pretense of confidence in such situations, like her sister could. She was ashamed by such a fact, but as she rose shakily to her full height once more she saw Bankotsu wink at her in encouragement, and she couldn't help but smile.
 
King Henry smiled kindly, his little eyes sparkling as he turned to his court, who rose to their feet once more, motioning for the woman to his left, one of the two who had not curtseyed, to come forward.
 
Kagome knew at once that she was Katharine of Aragorn, even before Henry introduced her as such, for she carried herself with all of the confidence and poise that would be expected of the daughter of Isabella of Spain. She was regal, and her eyes flashed with intelligence, but that was the extent of her beauty and endearing features.
 
There was no way around the fact that the woman was old; frankly, she looked old enough to be Henry's mother. Unlike her younger husband, who was, it was well known, much younger than she was, Queen Katharine had not aged well, wrinkles all over her face, her cheeks painted with rouge to look like they still carried the life of youth, and Kagome could see gray hair beneath the dirty brown locks that were mostly hidden by her huge, square headdress that was in the Spanish style. Her clothes were as modest as those of a nun, an undershirt obvious beneath her elegant, deep gown of blue and gold, her neck barely visible for all of the lace, her sleeves, while tighter like Kikyou's still loose and covering her hands, save for the rich rings on her fingers.
 
Glancing to the woman's right, Kagome knew who the other woman was, for she was young and beautiful and had a sparkle of defiance in her eyes, which were deep and mysterious from where they peered out of a white, round face.
 
Anne Boleyn wasn't exactly a stunning beauty, like Kikyou or Rin, but those eyes of hers made up for it, seeming to pull you in with their sharp intelligence. She had the waspish waist that everyone said was natural, and not fixed through the aid of a corset, which Kagome could believe, considering how frail the rest of her body seemed. She was thin everywhere, from her arms to her face, but it was all proportional, so that she almost seemed dainty, like a doll. Her neck was long and elegant, and she wore a deep red brooch at her neck with a white `B' in the center, clearly representing Boleyn, and Kagome thought that very brave considering the fact that her name wasn't exactly one associated with virtue.
 
But then again, to have lasted as long as she had, Kagome figured the woman probably had to have a lot of inner strength and a will for defiance of the rest of the court.
 
Suddenly she felt immensely sorry for the older Queen who stood beside Henry with her eyes straight forward; meeting the gazes of each of the monarchs as a Queen should, telling them she was equally as important as her husband. She seemed so much older, and out of place on Henry's arm…and Kagome could understand why people all felt that the King needed a new wife who could bear him a son. This woman looked like she would break if she ever tried to have a child again (never mind the rumors that she had passed her time of childbearing anyway).
 
“It is an honor to meet you, Your Highness,” Inuyasha replied to Henry's introduction of his wife, bowing low and kissing the woman's hand in a rare display of manners on the hanyou's part. Kagome had a feeling it was because he disapproved so much of what he heard in terms of the cruel treatment Katharine received from her husband, though her popularity with the people had been steadily climbing ever since Anne Boleyn entered the King's life.
 
Glancing behind the royal couple, it did not escape Kagome's notice the way Mistress Boleyn, recently made Marquess of Pembroke, seemed to lean forward as though to say “And I am Ann Boleyn, the true woman of Henry's heart!”
 
Sighing, Kagome had to resist a chuckle at such a thought, noting the tension that was streaming between the two women…indicating the silent competition, the rivalry, the battle even, that existed between them.
 
This was going to be an interesting ten days.
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
It turned out that Kagome didn't mind the English courtiers as much as she had first feared. Once the wine started flowing, and the musicians started playing, they all seemed to lose their persistent frowns and let loose, turning friendly and talkative in an instant. But she still didn't like their fashions, including the caps and the yards upon yards of fabric the women seemed determined to wear…nor did she care for their lack of hygiene which, even given the difficulty of taking baths, was still deplorable.
 
That was one thing about Inuyasha's court that Kagome appreciated; all the courtiers took regular baths. Mostly, this was because the King had always been a demon, with a sensitive nose, and the courtiers recognized that to be anything less than absolutely sanitary would be offensive to their ruler. Granted, it still meant that people maybe got in one bath a week, but it was better than nothing, especially since swimming was another favorite pastime in the summer, providing ample opportunity for `freshening up' a bit.
 
The banquet that she and Rin had prepared was going off without a single hitch, the seating charts seeming to have worked perfectly, with a certain number of Englishmen and women interspersed with members of Inuyasha's court so that people would get to know one another. With the wedding only a little over a week away, this was not the time for formalities, and both women had recognized that they had to set every courtier on a crash course in getting to know their neighbors if there was any hope of a pleasant experience for all at the wedding.
 
And it was obvious that it was of high importance that Inuyasha make a good impression on his fellow monarch by having an impressive wedding, after King Henry had taken the time (and the risk, considering the currently unstable atmosphere in his country) to travel across the ocean to be a guest.
 
It was obvious from the start that Henry enjoyed lavish ceremonies, complete with rich adornments, jewels, and large feasts. His eyes sparkled when he laid eyes on the silver goblets Sesshoumaru had ordered forged when he heard the great King was coming to visit, loving the velvet drapes that hung everywhere, along with the richly embroidered tapestries of the royal family as it had been when Inutaisho was still alive.
 
Frankly, everything about the castle seemed to impress him, as he seemed like a little child who had just been shown a cellar full of sweets that were all for him.
 
“It's an amazing castle,” he commented for at least the third time, though it was becoming apparent that his tongue was a little looser thanks to the wine that seemed to be flowing so freely from the servant's pitchers into his cup. Leaning over towards Sesshoumaru, who was icily seated to his left, he smiled. “Your father was born here, correct?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“So this is where he ruled from initially, before building the new palace where your brother lives for most of the year?”
 
Sesshoumaru eyed the great King steadily as though looking at nothing more than an annoying child, to which Kagome had to clap a hand over her mouth to resist laughing. Only the Lord of the Western Lands could ever get away with looking like that without meaning it as an insult…after all, he seemed to look at everyone, save for Rin, like that.
 
“My father was a Lord of the West before he was High King,” the older demon lord clarified, seeming annoyed that the King of England had not done more research on the country he would be visiting before coming, because that was clearly what Sesshoumaru would do…and probably had done, learning everything he could about the Golden Prince and his kingdom since he believed in always having the upper hand against friend and foe alike.
 
“Is that so?” Henry seemed suddenly interested, but still had that boyish air that made him seem more like a child wanting a story than a King interested in a fellow monarch's history. How he managed to seem so innocent but so powerful all at once Kagome would never know, and she watched him avidly from where she sat across the large table that held over fifty people, three more such tables surrounding them. Kouga and Bankotsu, seated on either side of her, seemed just as interested, watching the exchange as they silently spooned stew into their mouths.
 
Sesshoumaru just sent the King of England another stony look before glancing up at the tapestry of his father hanging down from the center of the rafters, showing the mighty Inutaisho in his human form, dressed in silver armor with his long silver-white hair flowing out behind him, a white dog in the background, baring its teeth, its back arched and its hackles raised for battle. “He was a Lord of the West, but at that time our country was plagued by many wars between the four sectors of the kingdom. It was my father who brought peace to the land, through many wars and much bloodshed. He came out the ultimate victor, and was recognized the undisputed High King of this country.”
 
Henry seemed surprised by this. “And no one disputed his claim to the throne, or tried to take the power for themselves? They just let him become King?”
 
The demon lord shrugged his shoulders. “You must understand that demons live for hundreds of years, and when one generation goes to war upon another, that can mean hundreds of years of fighting. Everyone was so grateful that my father had finally brought them peace they welcomed him with open arms. And besides that,” Sesshoumaru smirked slightly, a glint of pride in his eyes, though that was the only outward sign of the affection he allowed for his deceased father, “Father had the sense to equally distribute the power and still allow each sector of the kingdom to live as they had always lived, without intruding upon their culture or way of life. By appointing vassals, no one felt encroached upon, but rather felt that life had finally returned to normal, save for the fact that they now had something akin to a higher guardian watching over them and keeping the peace.”
 
It had been an honest answer that from anyone else would have sounded arrogant or boastful, but from Sesshoumaru just sounded like the reality that it was. Inutaisho had been a great leader…possibly the greatest leader the world had ever seen. But because the rest of Europe and the civilized world paid little attention to the goings-on of the demon country, and because the demon country wanted little to do with the rest of the world, the great King had passed unnoticed, instead having all the recognition pass to the man now sitting before them all who, while clearly was mighty and a good ruler, was probably nothing compared to Inutaisho.
 
And Kagome could see that Henry was thinking the same thing by the way his cheeks has turned a slight pink in shame, his eyes glistening over with longing, though no one else seemed to notice, chalking it up the wine.
 
“I wish I could earn such loyalty from my people,” he sighed wistfully, which grabbed Inuyasha's attention, who up until that moment had been deep in conversation, for once, with Kikyou about some matter or another.
 
The hanyou looked at the King of England and frowned. “With all due respect, you have it, Your Majesty. From what I hear, your people love you, and think of you as a great ruler who has brought them much prosperity.”
 
Henry looked over at Inuyasha, their eyes meeting momentarily, before the older man (though technically Inuyasha was almost the same age since he aged slower due to his demon blood) shrugged and looked away. “I had their love once, but the country has fallen on hard times of late.” He flicked his gaze over to his wife, who was speaking with Rin, her eyes gentle and kind, though her posture remained regal, like a Queen should be, and everyone who followed his gaze knew what he meant by that.
 
The country had come to resent him for trying to divorce such a faithful wife all for the sake of a woman who they saw as nothing more than a whore.
 
Kagome could certainly see where Anne Boleyn gave off the impression of being haughty and arrogant, which would spark no love among the people of England, for she carried herself straight-backed and aloof, as though she had something to prove to the world. It almost reminded Kagome of the way Kikyou sometimes carried herself in her determination to make the court respect her and see her as virtuous, not as some dirty woman who had an affair with a convicted criminal.
 
But Anne Boleyn also had a trace of uncertainty in her eyes, as though she expected a shadow to reach out and pull her away at any moment, though it was so subtle most people would miss it. But not Kagome. She had learned a long time ago how to observe people, and her time at court had only honed such a skill.
 
The woman was obviously set in her purpose, her goal to eventually have a crown on her head; but she also clearly wondered sometimes if all that she sacrificed was worth the prize in the end.
 
Glancing at Inuyasha, who had a slight smile on his face as he glanced around at the people before him, leaning back in his chair and taking a small sip of his wine, Kagome felt her heart skip a beat. She could certainly sympathize with having such doubts.
 
The banquet itself went on for nearly two hours, with so many people needing to be fed the servants had a difficult time meeting the demand. The meat could not be cooked fast enough, the soup not kept warm enough, and the wine could not be brought up from the cellar often enough to satisfy everyone…but finally, as it neared midnight, the chairs and tables were cleared and the musicians struck up the first waltz of the evening as people clapped excitedly and moved about to look for a partner to dance.
 
Inuyasha glanced at Kagome, and she understood his meaning perfectly as they rose together to share the first dance, as was customary for the King and his chosen Summer Maiden. Anymore it was like both a curse and a blessing for Kagome, knowing it was torture to be so close to him, and yet joyous whenever she felt his hand come firmly behind her waist to guide her about.
 
As always, they could not speak to one another for the first few moments because no one else was dancing, and their words would have been heard by all, but eventually the floor began to fill with other couples, among them, Kagome noted with an inward grin, Sango and Miroku, who had lately become much more affectionate, though the brunette still did not hesitate to smack the man when he came anywhere near her backside or her chest.
 
The night was warm, and Kagome felt herself drifting slowly into a haze as she felt Inuyasha move her about, twirling her gracefully, sometimes moving her away from him entirely only to bring her back a second later, closer than before, as though to assure her he never wanted her to leave his side.
 
She didn't want to.
 
In these moments she felt treasured, just like she had felt that night when they had made love, and Kagome knew she would keep such memories in her mind forever, no matter where fate put her in the end, or whose wife she became.
 
Inuyasha…
 
Her mind sighed as she looked up at him, noting the way his jaw clenched and relaxed every now and then, telling her he was thinking about something. His amber eyes were as fierce as ever, but no less beautiful, and his silver hair framed his face, looking particularly soft that evening after having been brushed for so long earlier in the day. She wanted to run her fingers through that hair, and touch his face…his lips…
 
“So what do you think of him?”
 
Kagome blinked, realizing after Inuyasha stared at her for several seconds that he had spoken, and that it had been in the form of a question directed at her. “Of who?”
 
“Keh, who do you think, you silly woman?” It was strange how what had once been an insult now seemed like an affectionate pet name for her. “His Majesty King Henry of England.”
 
Kagome giggled as the hanyou imitated what he thought was a formal British accent, glancing over at the King of England, who was currently speaking, or rather, flirting, with Kikyou, though the woman didn't seem to pay it much attention, handling herself very well as she responded enough to flatter him without leading anyone to believe she wanted something more.
 
“He is…an interesting person.”
 
Inuyasha chuckled, tightening his hold around her waist slightly as they continued to glide over the dance floor. “And what exactly does that mean in your mind?”
 
“Just that: he is very interesting. He acts like a boy one minute and a mighty King the next. I can see why people claim he is so easy to handle, so to speak, so long as you flatter his vanity, but that he is also very intelligent. I thought it impossible that someone could be both; but now I see that I was wrong.”
 
The hanyou grunted and looked away, over her head, and Kagome frowned. “You don't like him, do you?”
 
“What?” He seemed surprised, but Kagome just smiled, knowing she had read him perfectly. Inuyasha sighed, loving and hating how she could read him so well. “I suppose not.”
 
“Why?”
 
“Well, it's not that I dislike him, exactly, I just…don't like him either. Does that make sense?”
 
Kagome shrugged her shoulders. “I suppose. You are indifferent.”
 
“I guess.”
 
Another moment of silence passed, in which time Inuyasha twirled Kagome away from him in an elegant arc, catching her and dipping her form low before bringing her back up to face him once more. She smiled, and he couldn't help but smile back, entranced, as always, by her beautiful eyes.
 
“Well, at least try to be civil towards him and not let on that you're not very fond of him,” she said finally as they pulled closer again. “After all, he did go to a lot of trouble to come as a guest to your wedding.”
 
“I know.” Inuyasha nodded, but then suddenly seemed to acquire a lost look as his face went slack, a sigh escaping his lips as though a thought had just occurred to him. “My wedding…”
 
A pang struck her heart, and Kagome knew exactly what was going through his mind. “It's only about ten days away,” she replied, finishing what he had been unable to say. The thought brought tears to the corners of her eyes, but Kagome fiercely forced them back, refusing to cry in front of him, or in front of anyone.
 
She'd known this day would come; known the moment she made her promise to Kikyou. And by God, she would not back down now.
 
But that didn't make it any easier.
 
The scent of salt reached his nose, and Inuyasha blinked in surprise as he looked down to find Kagome worrying her lip fiercely, her jaw tense, clearly fighting back the urge to cry, and felt the desperate urge to pull her closer to him, to pull her cheek against his chest so he could rest his chin atop her head and run his fingers through her hair.
 
But he didn't dare…not with so many people watching them, including Kikyou…
 
“Kagome…” Her name came off his lips in what was almost a whimper, and she winced in response, though she tried to put a smile on her face, knowing he felt as desperate and at a loss as she.
 
“I know, Inuyasha,” she finally whispered back, not wanting anyone to hear the love that was laced in her voice. She looked up and met his gaze, allowing her eyes to tell him everything she could not say in words, hoping he understood. He seemed to, because his eyes softened, and her smile widened into a genuine beam of sunshine. “I know.”
 
Without warning, the dance came to an end, all of the couples stopping to applaud the musicians, and Kagome watched as Kikyou rose to her feet and moved towards them with a smile on her face. “As always you two danced beautifully,” she praised them both loudly for all to hear, “But now, Kagome, may I have a dance with the man who is to be my husband?”
 
For an instant that cruel, hot flash of jealously that had become familiar to Kagome stabbed through her belly, and all she wanted to do was hold onto the hanyou and never let him go; but she managed to hide such a forbidden desire as she smiled kindly and nodded. “Of course, sister.” She turned to Inuyasha and curtseyed, seeing the look of longing in his eyes as she did so, along with that look of uncertainty, but didn't dare allow their eyes to meet for too long for fear of giving herself away more than she already had. “As always, my lord, it was a pleasure.”
 
The music started up again, this time in a faster paced jig, and Kagome quickly moved to join Kouga and Bankotsu where they stood against the wall, feeling suddenly very isolated and alone without a partner, surrounded as she was by happy dancers.
 
Bankotsu offered her his goblet of wine, which she accepted readily, taking a large draught before leaning her head back against the wall and sighing, wishing she could just disappear and not have to deal with the wedding or Kikyou or anyone ever again. Unfortunately, fate had it planned that she would carry her sister's train down the aisle and then stand by the man she loved as he promised himself to another.
 
Allowing her eyes to drift, inevitably, to the dance floor, Kagome noticed with a pang how graceful Inuyasha and Kikyou looked, appearing, for all intensive purposes (damn them!) like the perfect royal couple.
 
“Why the long face, Kagome?”
 
She blinked and looked up at Bankotsu, blushing slightly for being so careless and allowing her emotions to become so blatantly obvious. “It's nothing…I'm just really tired, I guess.”
 
“And you're also a terrible liar.” She tensed at the realization that he could see right through her, wondering what else he `saw', but he just laughed and took his goblet back from her, setting it down on one of the tables that had been pushed against the wall. “Come on, I won't allow you to stand here and look depressed when you should be out dancing and dazzling everyone.” The dark-haired man turned to face Kouga with a smirk. “With your permission? She is your fiancée after all.”
 
The wolf couldn't resist cracking a grin slightly at that, though he tried to look offended. “Why bother to ask me? You already send her gifts and flirt with her as though you were the one marrying her.”
 
Kagome blushed at that, knowing it was partially true, but Bankotsu just laughed and nodded his head. “I'll keep that in mind.” And with that he took her hand, sending that familiar zing of desire straight to her belly as he placed a possessive hand about her waist, not at all afraid to hold her close since he had no wife or fiancée to be faithful to, and again Kagome found herself grateful that he was there with her to push all her sadness away and allow her to just be with someone who was fast becoming a dear friend (along with a great fantasy in her dreams…though she blushed at the thought).
 
Wonderful dancer that he was, the Eastern King quickly helped her forget why she had been feeling so melancholy, and for the rest of the night he and Kouga alternated, never allowing her a chance to sit down and feel sorry for herself again. They danced until the golden fingers of dawn began to creep through the eastern windows at last, halting what had become an unintentional ball and sending everyone to bed where Kagome, for the first time in a long time, fell into a deep and much-deserved undisturbed sleep.