InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The King's Mistress ❯ Unrequited Love (Part I) ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Notes: So, as you can tell by the chapter title, this chapter was cut in half because it was becoming ridiculously long. There was just too much material, and frankly, while I could have kept it all together, I think if you make a chapter too long it loses its effect because readers get exhausted trying to figure it all out and absorb everything (and even so this chapter is still 27 pages!). So I made the executive decision to split it. I hope you all don't mind. The second part should be out soon since I'm almost finished with the first draft, and then I'll just have to proof-read it. So watch for that!
 
In other news, this story was nominated for an award by the Inuyasha Fanguild in the Best Characterization category! I can't believe this incredible honor! I don't quite know how it all works, but I do know it had to be nominated and seconded, so I'm sending out a huge thanks to those who put this story up for such an honor! Thank you from the bottom of my heart! You'll find the link to the website on my profile page. Voting started yesterday, so watch for that, and check out the other stories as well. There are some awesome stories that have been nominated in my category as well as others! Keep your fingers crossed that I'll make the top three!
 
This chapter has the fluff you've all been waiting and begging for, so I hope you soak it all in while you can, because part two is going to be the angsty part. That's the other reason I chose to split the chapter, not only was it getting long, but I also didn't think I could pull off the incredible mood change in the same chapter without totally losing all of you. So there you go. I'll shut up now and let everyone get on to the actual reading. Enjoy!
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
Title: The King's Mistress
 
Author: dolphingirl0113
 
Chapter Twenty-Three: Unrequited Love (Part One)
 
Rating: PG-13 (for language and, at times, implied sexual situations)
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha, nor do I take credit for several of the historical ideas, facts, and realities I have taken and used.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
For the next two weeks I immersed myself completely in planning Kikyou's wedding and entertaining King Henry and his court, desperately trying not to think about the wedding itself and what it meant for me, instead trying to distract my mind with the problems of what flowers to put where, and which two colors complimented one another the best when it came to the drapes.
 
At first, with the help of my lord Bankotsu and my betrothed, Kouga, forgetting was easy, for all it would take was one of them pulling me away from the court for a ride in the country, or a fast dance in the evening, and I was happy once again.
 
But such false happiness never did last for long, and at night, when there was nothing to be done to hold my fears and my sorrows at bay, I would think of him. My mind would run wild with images of his smiling face and beautiful amber eyes, his laughter ringing in every corner of my dreams.
 
Inuyasha…
 
I loved him more and more every day, despite the attentions paid to me by others.
 
The court had seemed to forgive my sister completely, and so she was allowed to move about in her silent world of fear in peace, constantly looking over her shoulder for Naraku, who had become suspiciously complacent and respectful. He no longer sought her out or tried to place her in a compromising situation, and so I began to share Kikyou's fear that he was moving into the next phase of his plan; as though getting her into his bed had only been part of a much grander scheme.
 
I feared for her; and it was because of this fear that I was able to stamp on the desire that was always present to stand up in the middle of dinner, or out on a hunt, and announce to all that I loved the King, and that he belonged to me. The image of the axe falling reigned in such thoughts, and so I remained silent, though I had begun to suspect that, like a pitcher of water that was too full, I was starting to overfill, and that some of my fears and sorrows were becoming apparent to some of my closer relations at court.
 
Miroku and Sango knew, and of course always sent me sympathetic glances or friendly embraces whenever I was forced to watch Kikyou and Inuyasha interact together and put on the show of being a happily engaged couple. Miroku even refrained from any lecherous comments when around me, never once allowing his hands to stray too low, and I valued him as a true friend who was almost as dear to my heart as Sango, who insisted on being at my side as often as she could, though I could tell that at times she longed to be with the man who she so obviously loved; and so I would push her to spend time with him while I would go off with Kouga or Bankotsu. That was the only way I could get her to leave…by assuring her that I was not alone.
 
And while he continued to flirt with me as openly as he always had, I began to think that perhaps Bankotsu knew as well what was running through my mind and my heart when I would glance away and allow my mask to fall for just a moment (to relieve the pressure and drain that pitcher just a little). Perhaps he had always known…he certainly claims that to be true now. But who can say. People have a way of wishing, in hindsight, that they knew everything, even when they made mistakes.
 
Oh, how I wish I could honestly say that I had known what would come from my mistakes…the pain and the sorrow and the loss…but I didn't. And no matter how much I wished it, or dreamed of him, I could not prevent that day from coming. That day when I believed I would lose him forever…
 
* * * * * * * * * *
The strokes of the brushes were soft and gentle against her scalp, smoothing out all of the wrinkles in her hair, and Kagome allowed herself the slight luxury of leaning back into the caress, closing her eyes to enjoy the sensation, knowing it would be one of her last moments of peace on this day of days.
 
“Ah,” she sighed, her lips curving up into a soft half-smile, “Only you know how to brush my hair the way I like it, Yuka.”
 
The maid behind her chuckled slightly as she continued with her ministrations, the two brushes in her hands alternating as they smoothed away the lines and stray curls of her mistresses long ebony locks. “Of course I do…I've been with you all your life, my lady. I know what you do and do not like.”
 
It was true; the maid had been Kagome's companion since a very young age, her mother having served the Marquess before either of the girls was even born. Yuka's mother had chosen to remain back at the Higurashi mansion when the family had received the summons to court, recognizing that such a life would not make her happy, and Kagome's mother had been happy to oblige the request of such a faithful servant, but Yuka had insisted on coming with her mistress, claming she would not miss such an opportunity.
 
She in no way regretted her decision.
 
“You are a good friend,” Kagome finally commented, meaning every word. “Frankly, I forget sometimes that you are considered a servant.”
 
“As do I, my lady,” Yuka replied, smiling kindly at her friend. “And that is the best place for a servant to be: loving her mistress like a sister. Your mother has been nothing but kind to my family, allowing my mother to move in with you when my father died shortly after I was born. She always jokes that she lives so grandly in the mansion that even she forgets she is a servant. I feel the same way. I am never unhappy, but rather am content with my place in life.”
 
“Yes, you've said that before,” Kagome sighed again, recalling how she had once, several years ago, offered to pay Yuka enough to give her the chance to start on her own, and how the young woman had refused, insisting on staying by Kagome's side. How lucky she was, the young woman mused, to have such loyal friends.
 
Kikyou's face flashed before her, her dark eyes filled with sorrow and fear, and Kagome shuddered without thinking. Loyalty came in many forms…as did love. It was strange how the more she helped her sister the less love she felt in her heart.
 
It was still there, she knew, for otherwise she would not feel such fear or dread at the thought of losing Kikyou to the executioner's axe, but the love was cooling and hardening like molten lava that hit the sea. Everything between them had become so mechanical, so artificial; it was almost worse than before, when Kikyou had simply treated Kagome with frosty indifference, for at least then the younger sister had been able to maintain the belief that she loved her sister in spite of it all.
 
Now Kagome wondered sometimes if all of it was worth it.
 
But then, on occasion, especially in the past two weeks, Kikyou would take her in her arms and just hold her, as she used to when they were young, and whisper how grateful she was, and how much she loved her, and Kagome would instantly forget all of her doubts and feel the love spring anew like new lava from the volcano.
 
So many layers…so many secrets between them. How complex their love had become. It had once been so simple, but fate had managed to twist it into a monster Kagome hardly recognized any more.
 
Their love had never been simple, per say; there had always been that underlying sense of rivalry between them, especially as they had gotten older and families began to look at them as society viewed all young women: marriage material. There had always been the debate over who was more beautiful, who was smarter, who was wittier. It was the same story one would find in any family with multiple siblings of the same sex. And their rivalry had been worse because the Higurashi sisters had looked so much alike from the moment Kagome was born.
 
But now, more than anything, Kagome longed for those times again when all she had to worry about was the secret tally she and Kikyou kept over who was “winning” their little rivalry. For even then, underneath it all, they had been very close and protective of one another.
 
Kagome could recall how Kikyou used to brush her hair just as Yuka was doing now; how at night they would help one another into their nightgowns and then just sit on the small balcony of either of their bedrooms and talk of their hopes and dreams for the future.
 
Without realizing what was happening, a tear rolled down her cheek, though Kagome didn't notice until Yuka suddenly stopped what she was doing and moved in front of her mistress with a concerned look, kneeling before her and taking her hands.
 
“Kagome, please tell me what's wrong. I worry for you.”
 
Blinking, Kagome broke out of her reverie to gaze back at her friend, touched by the fact that Yuka had addressed her in such an informal way; she only did that when she was truly concerned about something. “Oh Yuka,” she touched the other woman's face with one of her hands, “I'm fine. I just feel…overwhelmed, I suppose.” And confused, and heartbroken, her mind finished silently.
 
The maid rocked back on her heels, her simple gray servant's gown hugging her slim frame while the skirt circled her in a pool of fabric on the floor, the white cap on her head hiding her brown hair, though a few stray locks managed to fall over her forehead. “It's more than that, I can feel it…you never could fool me.” Her large, warm brown eyes softened. “Why won't you tell me, Kagome?”
 
“I have already troubled you enough, Yuka, by disturbing your sleep,” she finally replied gently.
 
“It is no trouble to help you when you need me, Kagome,” the woman insisted stubbornly. “And I sense that you need my help now…with whatever it is that bothers you, and has been bothering you, for so long now.”
 
Sighing, Kagome looked away, unable to reply, her eyes roaming throughout her bedchamber, noting the bed which had been neatly made up when she first woke up about two hours earlier, her ears listening intently to the crackling fires in all three of the chamber rooms. They would have to be put out soon since the horizon was finally beginning to turn pink with the rising sun; it would soon warm the chambers enough without the aid of the fires.
 
The shock of the reality that the sun was just now beginning to rise, especially since it was summer and the days were longer, caused Kagome to blush. She hadn't even bothered to look at the clock when she'd first called for Yuka, and so had no idea exactly how early it had been, but now she felt immensely guilty for disturbing her friend's much-needed sleep.
 
But it couldn't be helped; Kagome had tossed and turned all night, unable to relax and sleep knowing that the next day was the great wedding, and so, unsure of what else to do, she had called for Yuka, who had immediately come to her mistress's aid, fixing up a warm bath of water scented with rose petals, starting a fire in all three fireplaces, the sweet scent combined with the flickering flames against the walls exactly the atmosphere Kagome had needed.
 
She had not meant for her friend to be put out so much, but Yuka had insisted, as always understanding what Kagome needed most, and so the experience had helped to sooth her somewhat, despite the fact that the day had finally arrived which she had been dreading for so long.
 
“Kagome?”
 
Blinking, Kagome looked back at Yuka, who was still gazing at her intently, waiting for some kind of response. “I suppose I'm just…somewhat depressed thinking about everything that will change with this wedding.” It was a cryptic reply, but Kagome dared not say anything more.
 
Thankfully it seemed to be enough for the woman before her, because Yuka just nodded her head and rose back up to her full height, taking the brushes in hand once more and finishing the task she had started as she spoke in her calm voice. “It will be a big change, for sure, and I know that you are wondering what will happen between you and the rest of your family since after the wedding you will be sent to the North; but you shouldn't worry too much, Kagome. You and Kikyou seem to have become closer again, like you used to be, and I doubt she'll want to become so estranged again.”
 
It was true; that was one of Kagome's fears…being so far away from her family and all of the friends she had at court. This wedding would finish the summer Kagome had never wanted to end; the summer when she had been Inuyasha's Summer Maiden and at his side every day, his presence killing her and giving her joy all at once.
 
Inuyasha…
 
“Yes, I suppose that's true…and, in time, I suppose I shall make new friends in the North.” Kagome was now speaking without emotion, trying to force the tears threatening to fill her eyes back, her throat constricting in silent pain.
 
This was supposed to be the most joyous day in Kikyou's life…and when they were young, both sisters had dreamed of sharing the moment together. Yet now all Kagome wanted was to have it over with quickly, for it brought her nothing but sorrow.
 
Yuka didn't seem to notice anything amiss this time as she continued speaking to the back of Kagome's head. “Well, you won't be entirely alone. I've already decided that I'll be going with you. I wouldn't abandon you now after all we've been through together, my lady. And who knows…the North might not be so bad. After all, if everyone up there is as kind as Kouga, it can't be any worse than living here.”
 
Kagome tried to force herself to listen as Yuka continued to talk, but the young woman's voice began to blur, and so she finally just resigned herself to sitting there and enjoying the sensation of the soft brushes on her scalp, trying not to think about other caresses that she longed for…caresses that only a hanyou with golden eyes and a sincere smile could give.
 
Today she would lose him forever. The dream that had been the summer had at last come to an end, giving way to the cold realities of autumn, and as that reality began to take hold, Kagome wondered if she could handle what was to come.
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
Dawn had barely begun to stretch its fingers of light over the world and Inuyasha had already been pacing his chambers for over an hour. He felt hot, then he felt cold, his heart racing faster than it should, making him feel like prey that had been trapped by its predator.
 
This was his wedding day; a day he had always pictured as joyous…when he'd had the courage to picture getting married at all. Frankly, until he was named King the hanyou had figured no woman would want to taint herself with his mixed blood, and even then, when he first met Kikyou he had been suspicious of her true intentions, though his need to be loved had won out in the end.
 
That had been his first mistake.
 
But even when he had dreamed of his wedding day, Inuyasha had not pictured what awaited him that afternoon: crowds of people he didn't even know, the guest list including some of the most powerful and influential people in the known civilized world, velvet drapes, gold goblets, crystal chandeliers, and long red carpets.
 
No; what Inuyasha had always dreamed about was a wedding like the one his mother remembered when she had married his father. Simple and beautiful.
 
Inutaisho had been married once before, to a demon woman from a powerful family in the West, and she had given birth to Sesshoumaru, though shortly thereafter she had died. No one had told the hanyou how or why such a powerful woman passed on, but then again, he had never really thought to ask either.
 
That first wedding was like the one Inuyasha was about to take part in that day; grand, with visitors from all over the world coming to see. But the mighty demon lord's second marriage had been much simpler, before no more than a few choice witnesses, the priest none other than Miroku's father, who still bore the title of clergyman despite his elevation to lordship. Inuyasha had heard his mother speak of the beautifully simplistic cathedral where they had been married, and how the only celebration the public took part in was a week of banquets and balls after the fact.
 
How the hanyou longed for such a luxury. But this was only the second High King to be married, and the last grand ceremony had not taken place in over 150 years. Even Inuyasha recognized that he could not deny the people their obvious desire for a grandiose event…no matter how little he personally approved.
 
Sesshoumaru was right; a King, while powerful, was still a servant to his people in many ways. One could easily rule by force, but only for so long before the masses rebelled.
 
The sounds of female voices reached his sharp ears for at least the fifth time since he'd first gotten out of bed, and Inuyasha turned around as though to stare through the walls and find out who was awake besides him so early in the morning. But even with his sharp hearing the hanyou could not quite make out distinct voices, only murmurs, and even then he couldn't tell which set of rooms they were coming from, and so he just assumed it was Kikyou being a nervous bride on her wedding day.
 
Casting his gaze about without much purpose, his eyes came to rest on the large couch before the fireplace in the main room of his chambers. Red and white, along with the rest of his furniture and curtains (for these had been his chambers when he was a boy and had not been changed), the familiar setting brought surprisingly little comfort to Inuyasha.
 
But he was not really surprised. He didn't honestly think anything, even the presence of his mother, could have made him any less uncomfortable or disgruntled that particular morning.
 
Atop the couch had been carefully placed his outfit for the day, which he had not dared put on yet, feeling that so long as it remained off of his body this wedding was not yet a reality.
 
It was comprised of a shirt of gold, with pearls sewn into the seams around the shoulders, neck, and waist, the pants a matching color, the same small pearls carefully placed along the seams on the outside of the legs. Beside the outfit was a long, elegant robe of ermine, which had been made especially for the occasion and had taken, reportedly, nearly two months and ten women to make.
 
The thought only caused Inuyasha to feel guilty since he was wishing so desperately for the entire day to just fade away into some kind of dream that he would wake from with a huge sigh of relief.
 
Without thinking, he moved towards the luxurious balcony and stepped quickly into the refreshing air of morning, the sky fast being illuminated by the rising sun, the deep black of night fading away into a beautiful shade of blue starting at the horizon and slowly seeping out towards the rest of the sky…the blue, he noted, being the same color as the Higurashi family.
 
The same color as many of Kagome's dresses.
 
Inuyasha shook his head violently at the thought, trying not to think about her at such a moment, for it would do him no good. He already knew this would mark the end of their relationship, for once he was married and the summer was over he would no longer have the excuse of needing to confer with his Summer Maiden in order to stop by her rooms or request that she come and speak with him in his study.
 
The thought of no longer having her kind face and intelligent ear caused his heart to clench slightly in fear.
 
He'd come to rely on her! Damn her for making him so weak!
 
“Kagome…” Her name escaped his lips to be carried away on the wind, which blew gently through his long silver hair, and as though she heard him, he heard her voice in response.
 
Inuyasha's head snapped sharply to his left, where he saw her balcony illuminated by a fire within, the glass doors opened to welcome in the fresh air and sunshine of the day. He could hear Kagome speaking to her maid, Yuka, and the young woman occasionally replying, though he couldn't quite make out what they were speaking of.
 
So she was the one who had been awake.
 
Was she not able to sleep either?
 
Without thinking, Inuyasha spun quickly on his heel and darted for the door, throwing it open and stepping into the great hallway draped in velvet carpets. Swiftly he moved so that he was standing before her door, her voice nearer, louder, and easier to understand. She was telling Yuka something about taking the bathtub back downstairs, and he couldn't help but smile. It wouldn't have mattered if she were plotting to dethrone him…just hearing her voice was enough to lift his spirits.
 
Guiding his hand with his heart rather than his mind, Inuyasha rapped on the door twice, as softly as possible while still gaining the attention of the two women beyond. The conversation, not surprisingly, halted instantly, and then he could hear footsteps moving towards the door, the handle turning slowly before the door finally swung open to reveal first a curious and then a stunned Yuka.
 
“Your…Your Majesty!” The poor maid had clearly not been expecting the King at such an hour, and she looked mortified to have been caught dressed in nothing but her simple gray servant's gown, her hair messily shoved underneath her white cap.
 
But Inuyasha hardly spared her a glance, his eyes instead quickly darting inside the room as he searched for the person he wanted to see.
 
And there she was.
 
Standing by the fireplace, bathed in the glow of the burning embers combined with the light of dawn, Kagome looked like an ethereal being from heaven dressed in a long, flowing robe of blue, her white nightgown visible where it went slightly further up her chest, the sleeves of the robe completely covering her hands, which were hanging loosely at her sides. Her hair had been brushed to a sheen, looking softer than satin, and her skin was a healthy pink from having recently taken a bath (which was obvious thanks to the now-empty tub in the middle of the main room).
 
Without meaning to, Inuyasha inhaled deeply the scent of roses, knowing she must have bathed with rose water for everything to smell so sweet, and he slowly stepped into the room. “Kagome, I…”
 
She gazed back at him steadily even as he was unable to finish whatever it was he had started to say, her eyes unable to pull away from his. He looked, in that moment, like the lost little boy she sometimes saw, clearly looking for answers to questions that he did not have.
 
That thought caused her to look away, for she knew what kind of assurance he wanted just as she knew she could not give it to him.
 
“Yuka, would you please leave us so the King and I may speak in private?” Kagome finally found herself asking, her voice surprisingly calm considering the fact that her heart had jumped into her throat the moment she had realized who was at the door.
 
The young maid looked from the hanyou to her mistress several times in silence, as though trying to decide something, before a light came to her eyes as though she had just discovered the meaning of the universe. Nodding slowly, she inclined her head to Kagome before moving towards the door. “Of course, my lady. I shall be down making sure your breakfast is appropriately prepared if you need me.”
 
And with that and one final bow of respect for Inuyasha, the confused, desperate lovers were alone again…one last time.
 
At first neither said a word, each simply savoring the presence of the other, unwilling to think beyond the moment, instead content to live in the here and now. Kagome remained steadfast by the crackling fireplace, and Inuyasha moved slowly until he was fully inside her chambers, carefully and silently closing the door behind him so they would not be seen or heard by any curious servant passing the door. They had come too far for such a blunder now.
 
Finally, gathering her courage, Kagome turned back to face the man she loved, noting with some pain how handsome he looked even though he was dressed in the simplest of red robes, covering his nightgown of the same color. God, how she loved him when he wore red. It accented his features in every right way, making his silver hair more stunning and his amber eyes all the more beautiful.
 
“Inuyasha…” She sucked in a deep breath and steeled herself against the way her heart was thumping so loudly in her chest. Surely he could hear it with his sharp ears… “Was there something you wanted?”
 
He swallowed and took another step towards her. “Yes, I…I wanted to see you, Kagome.”
 
Such a simple statement, and one that from any other person in her life would have meant nothing, but coming from Inuyasha Kagome knew it was the highest compliment he could bestow upon her. He was making himself vulnerable by admitting that he needed her in this moment of insecurity.
 
She fiercely blinked back tears.
 
“I'm afraid I cannot help you this time, Inuyasha,” she finally replied, unable to look at him any longer for fear of the tears threatening to flow freely down her face. She would not let him see…she had promised herself weeks ago she would not let him see when this day finally came…
 
The hanyou just remained still where he stood, looking at her with no hint of passion or lust, but rather with the eyes of a man gazing at the woman he had come to admire so much in such a short amount of time. “You're already helping me, Kagome, just by being here.”
 
At that she couldn't help but sniff slightly, covering it by pretending to cough away a fictitious piece of something in her throat. “Am I?”
 
He blushed sheepishly. “Yes; I've told you before how your scent calms me.”
 
Kagome recalled that day on the jousting field when she had held his head against her shoulder, his nose buried in the crook of her neck as he sighed and told her she smelled nice. “I suppose you have,” was all she managed to reply.
 
Another silence passed between them, this time the air seeming to fill with tension, and Kagome felt her heart break a little more. Was this how it was meant to be between them from thereon? Would they never be comfortable in one another's presence again? Would they always be haunted by what had been between them that had been so forbidden?
 
“Would you like to have a seat?” she finally asked, falling back on her lessons in proper etiquette as she motioned toward her couch, which she had turned to face the open doors leading out to the balcony, giving a wondrous view of the slowly illuminating plains of the West.
 
“I'd like that very much,” he replied, moving quickly to sit down, clearly grateful to have a purpose in his movements, if even for a mere second. Once he was settled he glanced over at her with an imploring gaze. “Will you join me?”
 
“Of course.” Now Kagome found herself pasting that familiar fake smile onto her face, which didn't escape Inuyasha's notice, and he winced, hating the artificiality of it all. This was not his Kagome…the woman he had come to care for, admire, and respect so much.
 
Right then he needed his Kagome, not the fake woman the rest of the court saw most of the time, and so sought to find a way to bring her out.
 
“Are you at all nervous?” He finally asked, knowing it was a lame question.
 
But it worked, because for a second Kagome's eyes flashed and her lips curved upward into a slight smile as she looked over at him. “I think I should be the one asking you that question, considering the fact that you are about to get married before a whole crowd of people.”
 
“Keh, a whole crowd of strangers. Who the hell cares what they think?”
 
Her smile broadened and Kagome leaned towards him slightly, clearly unaware that she was doing so. “You're not even a little nervous?”
 
“Of course not, why would I be? I don't care about crowds.”
 
She cocked an eyebrow slightly and seemed to acquire a playful smirk. “If I recall correctly, you hate crowds more than anything.”
 
“And so?”
 
“And so…to hate something you first have to care about it.” She poked him playfully in the chest. “So you can't fool me with that overused line of yours.”
 
He cocked his head. “What overused line?”
 
“The `I don't care' line,” she replied, doing a purposefully poor imitation of his voice that had Inuyasha smiling. Now he was seeing her true self, and he couldn't have been happier.
 
This was his Kagome; the woman he…
 
The hanyou stopped his train of thought from going any further, choosing instead to halt such ideas by blocking them with more verbal conversation. “Okay, so maybe I am a little nervous…but only because I don't want to embarrass myself by doing something stupid.”
 
At that Kagome laughed outright, and Inuyasha felt his heart soar at the sound. God, he would miss her so when she was…he swallowed…when she was gone and eventually married to Kouga.
 
A hot flash of jealously ripped through his belly at the thought of that arrogant wolf walking with Kagome on his arm, and the hanyou couldn't help clenching his fists, which were thankfully hidden under the long folds of his robe where his arms were crossed over his chest. “And just what the hell is so funny, woman?” He finally asked, trying to keep up the playfulness that had sprouted between them as he pushed his own more negative emotions aside.
 
“You,” Kagome replied simply, winking. “You've already done enough to embarrass yourself, Inuyasha, as far as I'm concerned, and cannot possibly do any worse.”
 
At that he became genuinely curious as he leaned towards her slightly so that their faces were mere inches apart. “And what exactly was this horrifically embarrassing moment you are referring to?” His voice lowered and he allowed his lips to curve upward in an arrogant sneer.
 
She placed a hand under her chin and raised her eyes thoughtfully as she smiled. “I seem to recall a certain moment when you leapt out of my bed completely naked and challenged your best friend to a dual.”
 
Inuyasha's face turned as red as a cherry at the memory, and his sneer instantly faded. “Oh…that…” He coughed to rid the image from his mind, hoping she wouldn't insist on walking too far down that particular lane of memories.
 
“Yes, that,” Kagome continued to tease, but then went suddenly silent as both of them turned away from one another to face the balcony and the view beyond, each clearly remembering in their own way that glorious night which never should have happened.
 
Feeling suddenly nervous once more, Inuyasha allowed his eyes to roam freely, looking for something or some way to break the tension that had presented itself between them once again. He found his distraction in the form of a long, elegant gown spun of rich blue, outlined in the usual places by white.
 
But this gown was different from her others. While the entire gown was a dark color as usual save for the embroidery (reminding Inuyasha of the color the sky had been on the horizon just as the sun was rising), there were also intricately stitched spirals throughout the skirt and bust of an even deeper blue, so subtle one barely noticed, but that still managed to give the gown a uniquely exotic look. The usual long-draping sleeves were striped in generous columns of white and blue, rather than having white simply outlining the ends of the sleeves, the unique pattern starting clear up at the shoulders. Even the white around the waist and at the hem of the gown was different, the fabric a rich satin as opposed to the customary velvet. To complete the beautiful masterpiece were long but thin white veils stitched carefully into the seams of the shoulders that would clearly fall to the floor and trail behind Kagome even as they also followed the lines of the sleeves themselves, mimicking the long, draping fabric.
 
It was nothing short of exquisite, and the hanyou found he was truly gawking as he tried to figure out where Kagome had come by such an incredible gown that had no doubt cost a small fortune to make. Just purchasing the yards of satin that would have been required to make the gown would have emptied the pockets of a modest family.
 
“Kagome?” She looked at him expectantly, though his gaze remained on the gown stretched across her bed, which was a lighter shade of blue, making the dress look almost like nothing more than a silhouette save for the rich white on the sleeves and outlining the waist and hem. “Where did you get that?”
 
“Hm?” At first she seemed puzzled, not knowing what he was referring to, but as she followed his gaze Kagome saw the dress and formed a silent `o' in recognition. “That was a gift from Bankotsu. He…” She blushed. “He gave it to me yesterday, saying it was his gift to me in honor of my engagement to Kouga since he will not be able to attend the official ceremony when we sign the papers.”
 
An image of the Eastern King popped into his mind, and Inuyasha felt another flash of jealously as he pictured clearly in his mind how Kagome had probably reacted upon seeing such an exquisite gown, along with the smug look on Bankotsu's face as he gave it to her. “He had that made for you?”
 
“Well yes,” Kagome replied as though that were obvious and she couldn't understand why Inuyasha would even ask. “I guess he managed to get my exact measurements from Yuka without either of them telling me. It was such a wonderful surprise.” She blushed again. “He spoils me far too much.”
 
“Keh, I should say,” Inuyasha grunted, hating the way Kagome turned slightly pink at the thought of the handsome dark-haired King. “That gown must have cost him a small fortune!”
 
Kagome's eyes flared in sudden anger and Inuyasha knew immediately he'd said something wrong. “And what is that supposed to mean? That I'm not worth the amount of money it cost to make it?”
 
“What? No! I never said that!” You're worth all it cost and so much more, he wanted to say, but felt his own stubbornness kick in and prevent him from voicing such thoughts aloud. “I just think it's a bit much from a man who isn't even a relation.”
 
“Bankotsu is a good friend!” Kagome retorted hotly, crossing her arms and looking away, and in spite of himself Inuyasha couldn't help but note that she looked rather adorable when angry while dressed in her blue robe and nightgown, her hair flowing freely down her back and over her shoulders. “And I would do the same for any good friend of mine…if I had the money to spend.”
 
“Fine, fine,” the hanyou waved his hands before him in a gesture of submission, not really wanting to fight with her. He had just wanted to sit with her and talk pleasantly, or maybe hear her laugh a few times. But not fight. He never enjoyed fighting with her, despite the fact that they managed to engage in many arguments, petty or not, almost every day.
 
At his gesture of goodwill Kagome seemed to deflate as well, sighing and slumping her shoulders forward as she allowed her arms to uncross, her hands dropping unceremoniously into her lap. “I'm sorry, Inuyasha,” she mumbled, the fire leaving her eyes to be replaced by a hidden pain. “You came here for some comfort, not to fight. I have a feeling I'm not helping at all.”
 
“Kagome,” Inuyasha found himself reaching out with one of his hands and resting it on her shoulder, seeing her jolt at the sudden contact. “Look at me, Kagome…please.” She obeyed, albeit slowly, and their eyes met as he smiled and put as much kindness into his gaze as he could. “I already told you that your mere presence is enough for me. I don't expect you to have all the answers all the time…you are only human after all.” He realized what he'd said and hastily corrected himself. “And I don't mean that in an offensive way…I just mean that…well…”
 
“I understand.” Kagome smiled slightly at his attempt to make her feel better, knowing his intentions were pure and honest, though the pain didn't quite leave her gaze. “I thank you for that, Inuyasha. Hearing you say that, well…” She swallowed. “It means a lot to me.”
 
He could sense she wanted to say more, but was holding back, and so had the instant desire, more than anything, to see her smile again. Glancing back over at the wealthy gift she had received from Bankotsu once more, he thought about how stunningly beautiful she would look wearing it, and that was when he suddenly knew exactly what he could do to bring a beautiful smile to her face.
 
Standing up, he felt a slight sense of boyish giddiness race through his chest as she sent him a curious look. “Come with me,” he offered his hands to pull her to her feet, which she hesitantly accepted. “I have something I want to give you.”
 
“Now?” She blinked. “What is it?”
 
He winked, acting unusually light and carefree in that moment. “It's a surprise, so you'll have to wait a few minutes and see.”
 
Just the prospect of a surprise, combined with his suddenly boyish behavior, was enough to bring a slight smile back to Kagome's face, and Inuyasha felt elated, wondering why he hadn't thought of the idea before. Her present was just sitting in his chambers in its new case, having been finished and delivered to him about a week before, waiting for the right moment to give to her.
 
He'd meant it to be his engagement gift to her as well, but suddenly his instincts told him it would serve a better purpose if he gave it to her now.
 
And so, slowly, not wanting to create an unnecessary amount of noise, Inuyasha led Kagome out of her room and down the hall to the doors of his own chambers, quickly pulling her inside before anyone could see them. After all, the sun was fully visible over the horizon by then, and the usual bustling could be heard about the castle as servants began opening doors, waking their masters and mistresses and airing out the chambers.
 
He noted the way she immediately started looking around, as though expecting to see an elephant or something of the sort in the room, and the hanyou had to suppress a bout of laughter at her innocent expression. He loved it when she looked like that…no other woman at court could muster such genuine naïve innocence. Not even, in his opinion, Sesshoumaru's beautiful and charming wife Rin.
 
But she also seemed extremely uncomfortable all of a sudden, and Inuyasha suspected she was unsure of whether or not it was safe for her to be in his chambers so early in the morning with neither of them dressed in anything more than their sleeping garments…hardly considered modest.
 
Still, nothing could be worse than being caught naked by Miroku that morning…so, in a way, Inuyasha could honestly say he was rather unconcerned. Mostly.
 
“So what's this surprise, Inuyasha?” Kagome finally asked after he had successfully shut and locked his door and moved around the room once, making a grand show of looking for something even though he knew exactly where her gift was.
 
He halted at her question, stopping right in front of his balcony doors, which were also open, and Kagome couldn't help but draw in a sharp breath as the sun poured in around his body, bathing him in all the colors of dawn. His silver hair seemed to practically sparkle, the ears atop his head flickering occasionally when they were touched by the slight breeze, and his amber eyes matched the sun in a way that left Kagome breathless.
 
So that was how she could describe the color of his eyes. She had never quite found the right words before, but now she could. His eyes held the color of the sun at both dawn and dusk, when it was, in her opinion, at its deepest hue of gold, framed by reds, yellows, pinks, and oranges.
 
He was so beautiful, and Kagome knew that no matter how much she may have found herself physically attracted to Bankotsu's dark features, neither he nor Kouga, nor any other man would ever be as perfect in her eyes as Inuyasha was at that moment.
 
He was her beloved…her Lancelot…and always would be, even if he could never know.
 
“Inuyasha…” Without meaning to his name escaped her lips, though Kagome didn't realize it until she saw him jolt slightly and look at her funny. She blushed. “Sorry…you just look very…handsome where you're standing.”
 
“Oh?” The hanyou turned around, clearly looking for what had brought about such a random observation, but Kagome simply chuckled and shook her head, looking away and observing his chambers, which were massive…even more so than hers or Kikyou's.
 
Everything was dressed in red and white, and his desks, cupboards, and bed frame were a polished wood rather than the mahogany Kagome had seen and grown accustomed to in all other areas of the castle (though she hadn't yet been in Sesshoumaru and Rin's chambers, so perhaps their furniture was the same). It was perfect for him, she decided; the red fit his personality, and Kagome could believe that this was where he had grown up.
 
And, as though to accent the thought, she turned to find a portrait of he and his mother when he was very young hanging over the fireplace in the main room. Her eyes opened wide, for she had never seen a portrait of Inuyasha so young
 
His innocence had been captured beautifully by the painter, with his amber eyes seeming a little too big for his face, his hair the same length, proportionally, as it was now. He wore a strange outfit of red pants, a white shirt, and a baggy red coat, which Kagome couldn't understand as it was a foreign style to her, but she paid it little attention, drawn to other, more important things…such as Inuyasha's mother.
 
She had that same serene smile on her fact that she carried in the portrait over Kagome's fireplace, though this time she was dressed in a gown of gold and white with the familiar long sleeves. On her knees so that she was the same height as her son, the woman held Inuyasha close in an embrace, and even though the child hanyou had a serious expression on his face Kagome could tell he had been happy to be with his mother.
 
“You were so adorable,” she found herself commenting at last, turning to look back at Inuyasha, who had froze the moment he saw Kagome looking at the picture. She winked, her eyes softening. “A lot like Shippou is now. I hope that's a good sign; because if he's anything like you, then that means he'll grow up to be very handsome one day.”
 
Inuyasha blushed as he heard her call him handsome for the second time, wondering why she was suddenly being so kind and generous with her compliments, but chose not to dwell on it. “Keh; the kitsune will no doubt have a much better life than I had since he's a full-blooded demon.”
 
“Oh I don't know about that,” Kagome's smile widened, and he felt his heart melt as she took a step towards him. “You seem to have done pretty well for yourself, my lord. You're the High King of this great country of ours, you seem to be well respected, and you are deemed important enough for Henry VIII to attend your wedding to a woman who is said to be the most beautiful in the country.”
 
That last comment was somewhat bitter in her mouth, but Kagome said it anyway, figuring the hanyou needed to have his ego stroked a little to get him feeling more confident about the grand ceremony later that day in which he would be taking a leading role.
 
But rather then puffing his chest out as he normally did under such praise, Inuyasha simply met Kagome's gaze steadily and softened his eyes, though the rest of his face remained somewhat impassive. “I never said Kikyou was the most beautiful.”
 
The underlying implication in his words was obvious, and Kagome felt her heart warm at that, gazing back into his amber eyes with a newfound confidence knowing that he regarded her as fondly as he did…no matter what this wedding would mean for them in the long run.
 
As always, it would have to be enough.
 
“So,” she finally commented, breaking the silence. “I want to see this surprise of yours.”
 
“Oh right!” Inuyasha quickly spun around and disappeared into his bedchamber while Kagome waited patiently in the main room, her hands folded demurely at her waist, though she did feel somewhat silly dressed in her robe and nightgown, her feet starting to become cold as she had not thought to put on slippers before leaving her room with Inuyasha. His chambers were colder than hers as he had not had any fires lit.
 
The sound of shuffling feet and less-than-graceful maneuvering was evident, and Kagome had to suppress a grin at that. Beautiful as he was, Inuyasha was still not exactly the most graceful person in the world.
 
But then again, neither was she.
 
She chuckled.
 
What a pair they made…or, at least, could have made, if circumstances had been different.
 
“Okay, I've got it!” He called out, seeming to forget for a moment how thin the stone walls actually were, and that anyone could have heard him. But Kagome suddenly found she didn't care, and instead just giggled and called back with an equal amount of exuberance.
 
“Alright then, let's see it!”
 
“You have to close your eyes first!”
 
“What?”
 
“Your eyes…close them!”
 
At that Kagome rolled her eyes before closing them, wondering what it was about men that made them always insist that the woman close her eyes before receiving her surprise. It didn't, in her opinion, enhance the pleasure any more.
 
Although, she had to admit, the action did add something of a childish delight to the whole situation.
 
There was silence for a few seconds, and Kagome figured Inuyasha was probably making sure her eyes were indeed closed before she finally heard him move slowly across the floor to stand before her. She felt one of his clawed hands take her own two and stretch them out before her, letting go once she understood the message and continued to hold her arms out in the air on her own, her hands palm up in the typical receiving pose.
 
And then she felt a generously heavy object as he placed something across her forearms, the moment he let go the weight causing her to reflexively catch whatever it was and hold it against her chest to prevent it from falling to the floor.
 
It was made out of leather, whatever it was.
 
“Can I open my eyes now?” She asked obediently, like a child asking its parent for candy.
 
She heard Inuyasha chuckle before he replied in the affirmative, playfully teasing her. “Yes Kagome, you can open your eyes now.”
 
Slowly, to add a little drama, she lifted her eyelids once more, giving her pupils a moment to adjust to the sudden light before looking down…and nearly dropping what was in her arms in shock.
 
It was a violin case.
 
“Inuyasha, what…” She blinked and swallowed, not even daring to think about what would be under the lid. “What is all of this?”
 
He chuckled. “Your surprise, woman…what else?”
 
“I…” But she couldn't finish what she had started to say, instead suddenly falling to her knees, Inuyasha moving quickly to place his hands at her waist and make her impact with the ground a little gentler.
 
Placing the case on the ground before her while Inuyasha settled himself directly across from her to see every reaction on her face, Kagome silently and reverently flipped up the golden clips holding the lid closed, opening the case and feeling her throat constrict as she saw a beautiful, polished violin of a deep red color nestled among the inner blue and white velvet of the case. The matching bow was strapped to the lid of the case, also perfectly polished.
 
“Inuyasha, I…” Again, she was unable to finish what she wanted to say, which only caused the hanyou to smile broadly as he saw the utter shock on her face, telling him he had done the right thing and given her an appropriate surprise.
 
With a shaking hand she reached down and lifted the violin out of the case and placed it in her lap, running her fingers across the strings, which were smooth, a little too loose since the instrument had not yet been tuned, and otherwise obviously yet untouched. The wood was soft; clearly masterfully carved, shaved, and sculpted, and Kagome felt tears in her eyes as she appreciated the beautiful craftsmanship.
 
Finally, looking up, Kagome allowed the tears that had been threatening her eyes for so long to come, pooling in her eyes before spilling over her cheeks, though she also smiled brilliantly, like a ray of sunshine, telling the hanyou that they were tears of joy. “Oh Inuyasha, I…” She looked down at the new instrument again before looking up once more. “I don't know what to say. Why did you do this?”
 
He chuckled, thrilled by her reaction, and sat back fully on his heels as he shrugged, never having been very good with words. “I hated how upset you were that night when your old violin broke. I know you haven't even touched a violin since then, despite the fact that several people have offered to make you a new one…but I think you've been unhappy not playing. So I figured maybe you would accept it as a gift from me, and start playing again…and be happier.”
 
More tears came at his words, and Kagome found herself shaking with a mixture of joyful laughter and stunned sobs. “I can't…I mean it's just…it's so…” She shook her head, frustrated that she couldn't say what she was feeling in her heart.
 
But Inuyasha seemed to understand, because he just smiled again and leaned forward, without thinking touching his hand to her cheek, wiping away her tears. “I just want you to be happy, Kagome, and this was one of the ways I thought I could help.” He looked down at the bow still in the case and removed it, running his fingers over the soft wood absentmindedly as he continued to speak.
 
“An old friend of my father's, named Totousai, made it for me. He is the one who forged the two swords my father gave to Sesshoumaru and I, and is a great craftsman. I knew he would do a good job.” Inuyasha met Kagome's gaze and allowed his eyes to sharpen seriously. “But I also recognized that nothing could ever replace the violin your father gave to you, so I didn't have him make a new bow…I just had him polish the old one up a little. See, your inscription is still there,” he pointed to the small K.H. on the tip, and Kagome felt her smile brighten even more.
 
Setting the new instrument down in the case once more, laughter escaped her lips, and Kagome launched herself at the hanyou joyfully. “Oh Inuyasha!” She threw her arms around his waist and buried her head in his chest, his scent surrounding her and giving her a sense of peace as he wrapped his arms around her waist as well, resting his chin atop her head for a few moments of silence, inhaling that glorious scent of roses.
 
But the moment was ruined as there was a sudden pounding on Kagome's door down the hall, which both of them could hear, as one of Kikyou's maids called out for Kagome to come and help her sister, who had requested her presence.
 
Drawing back suddenly, Kagome's eyes went wide as she glanced first to her left, then to her right, and finally down at herself. The fear in her eyes told Inuyasha she was worried about what would happen when they realized she was not in her room, and so he stood up while softly telling her to remain quiet on the floor.
 
Walking confidently over to his set of doors, the hanyou pulled one open with ease and leaned his head out into the hallway. “The Lady Kagome is not in her room at present,” he said in his regal, commanding voice. “I believe she went for a ride this morning, and will not be back for a little while yet.”
 
Kagome could hear the sound of footsteps approaching, and shrank back behind the large red and white couch, fearful that she would be seen but also enjoying the scene playing out before her, with Inuyasha being forced to come up with a lie on her behalf.
 
He was surprisingly good at it. Had she not been sitting where she was, she would have almost believed that she was out on a ride that morning too.
 
“My lady Kikyou wishes to speak with her sister,” a soft feminine voice replied, “So when she returns, if you or one of your servants sees her before I do, could you tell her that?”
 
Inuyasha nodded, keeping his face covered with a mask of confidence to hide the lie. “Of course; I'll tell her if I see her.” And with that he shut the door with a certainty that left no doubt in anyone's minds about whether or not he was finished speaking to the servant.
 
Glancing at Kagome, he winked playfully, to which she couldn't help but giggle, though her mood instantly sobered as she realized she was now quite literally stuck. “How am I going to get back to my room now?” She moaned, leaning back against the couch and tilting her head to look at the ceiling. “Every servant on this floor is going to be looking for me thanks to that lie you just told.”
 
“Keh,” the hanyou crossed his arms and snorted, rolling his eyes. “I was trying to help you, and this is the thanks I get…more complaining.”
 
Her eyes flared, and Kagome shot to her feet. “I wasn't complaining! I was just stating a fact! I have no way back to my room now that everyone is going to be looking for me…and when they do find me, I will not look at all like I was on a ride.” She indicated her robe to accent her point.
 
The hanyou shrugged. “Then just tell them that I was mistaken, and that you had not been on a ride at all, but had still been in bed when Kikyou's maiden came and knocked on your door.”
 
“Oh that's just perfect,” Kagome shot back, feeling all of the warmth fade from the room as she glared at the man before her. “So now everyone will be calling me lazy for having slept in on the most important day of my sister's life.”
 
Inuyasha rolled his eyes. “I highly doubt that, considering all you've done for her already, Kagome.” His eyes softened. “You've been her strongest supporter…everyone knows that, and admires you for it.”
 
The partially hidden compliment was enough to calm her, albeit slightly, and Kagome allowed her arms to fall back to her sides, her blue robe once more covering her hands. “Well, that still doesn't solve the problem of how I am to get back to my room without being seen. After all, I am still in nothing but my sleeping attire, and I would be spotted coming out of your room,” she jabbed a finger at him to accent her point, “Carrying a large case that everyone would know was a personal gift from you. That would be just perfect.”
 
The hanyou stared at her blankly. “I fail to see the problem in any of that, save for the fact that you would be seen coming out of my room, which we could easily explain away since you would have Yuka as a witness that you were in your room until early this morning.”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes. “Are you really that dense, Inuyasha?”
 
He bristled. “I beg your pardon?”
 
She didn't seem to notice as she continued. “If I was seen coming out of your room so early dressed as I am and carrying a gift everyone would automatically assume I was your mistress.”
 
“Why?”
 
“Because…” She made a wide gesture with her hands. “That's what men do for their mistresses…give them gifts.”
 
“They do?” Inuyasha cocked his head as though that were a novel thought, and Kagome sighed, knowing he was as hopelessly innocent when it came to such games as she was. Frankly, the only reason she knew what she did was thanks to Miroku…and she didn't even want to know how he came to be so knowledgeable.
 
He certainly didn't get it from helping his friend and King, she mused, her lips curving up into a slight smirk at the thought; she knew that from personal experience.
 
Inuyasha noticed her smirk and grimaced. “What the hell did I say or do to make you laugh this time?”
 
She giggled. “Nothing…you did nothing.” He didn't look convinced, and she laughed outright. “Honest! I'm telling the truth!”
 
The hanyou still didn't seem to believe her, but her laughter seemed to work its usual magic as he relaxed once more. “Keh, whatever…you're just as ridiculous as all the other women I meet.” He didn't mean that; frankly, there was nothing about Kagome that was normal…but it was the only thing he could think of that was as close to an insult as he dared to get back some of his pride knowing he was the source of her laughter.
 
Finally, after a few moments, Kagome sobered once more as she heard Miroku's voice out in the hallway, and looked at Inuyasha seriously. “But we still have the issue of how I'm going to get back to my room.”
 
Inuyasha rolled his eyes. “No we don't.”
 
“Oh I see,” Kagome crossed her arms. “So how exactly am I going to get back? By suddenly acquiring the ability to walk through walls and be invisible so I wouldn't be seen by Sango in the next room as I passed through?”
 
“No!” Inuyasha seemed to be losing his patience as he stomped past her and out onto his balcony. “Give me a little more credit than that. Now get out here.”
 
She frowned. “Why?”
 
“Just trust me, Kagome!”
 
“Don't say my name so loud while you're outside!”
 
“Damn it all! You're being…” Inuyasha sighed and crossed his arms, lowering his voice all the same. “Just get out here! No one will see, because no one besides you has their balcony doors open.”
 
“How do you know?”
 
He rolled his eyes. “I can see them from here!”
 
Kagome blushed and looked away, considering what he was demanding momentarily, unable to fathom what he had in mind, before finally shrugging her shoulders and reaching down to close the violin within its case once more, scooping it up into her arms possessively before moving to join the hanyou on the balcony.
 
Once out there she took a moment to savor the fresh air and warm sunshine on her face before looking at Inuyasha and frowning. “Now what are we going to do? Climb up onto the roof? Or do you expect me to jump from here to my balcony?” The hanyou actually blushed, and Kagome's eyes opened wide as she realized that was precisely what he was planning to do. “Oh no…no way…I am not jumping from here to there. I would never make it.”
 
“You wouldn't be the one jumping, stupid,” he snapped back, and she crossed her arms while giving him a steady glare, warning him against any further insult. He just shrugged and looked away. “I'd be the one jumping, and you would be on my back.”
 
“So you can jump all the way from here to there with me on your back?” Kagome looked doubtful, but Inuyasha just looked like that was obvious.
 
“Of course I can. I'm half demon, remember? I have more strength, speed, and stamina than you humans do.”
 
She blinked at that, having forgotten such a key component, and it was her turn to blush and look away. “Oh…right…” She looked back at him. “And you won't drop me or anything?”
 
“No!” He looked offended by the question, though Kagome didn't regret asking as they were rather high in the air. She peered over the edge of the balcony railing to accent her silent point. “Kagome,” He sighed, “You're just going to have to trust me, alright?”
 
The sincerity in his voice caused her to look at him steadily, and Kagome was reminded of all the times she had told herself silently how she trusted him more than anyone in the world. Perhaps this was the time to prove such faith. “Alright…” She shivered and looked over the edge again. “What do I have to do?”
 
Inuyasha smiled at that, realizing she trusted him not to drop her or do anything to endanger her safety. Such a thought caused more pride than any other compliment she could have given him. “Just get on my back and put your arms around my neck.”
 
“What about my violin?”
 
“I'll come back and get it.”
 
Nodding, Kagome slowly set the black case down on the ground before moving to stand behind him, hesitantly putting her hands on his shoulders before blushing and stopping. How exactly was she supposed to do this without pulling him over? He just expected her to climb on his back like he was some sort of rock?
 
“What's taking you so long?” The hanyou snapped.
 
Kagome blushed some more. “I'm not sure how…how I should do this.”
 
“I told you, woman! Get on my back and put your arms around my neck. I'll do the rest.”
 
“But…”
 
“Just do it, Kagome! And do it fast, before someone does decide to come out onto their balcony for some fresh air.”
 
The thought of Sango or Miroku appearing was enough to send Kagome scrambling onto the hanyou's back, clambering for his neck as she felt him put his arms under her legs and hold them at the knees. Her skin felt instantly hot where it made contact with his large hands, and Kagome had to resist the urge to bend over, brush his hair aside, and plant a kiss on his neck.
 
She hadn't been this close to him since…
 
No. She refused to go there.
 
Once they were situated, with Kagome feeling rather embarrassed about the fact that her nightgown was riding up rather high on her legs (reminding her of why women rode side-saddle due to their skirts), Inuyasha turned his head so that he could meet her gaze, and gave her a reassuring smile. “Are you alright?”
 
Was it just her, or did he seem excited about something? “I guess.”
 
“Okay then, hold on tight! We have to jump over Sango's balcony, so don't be afraid when I jump higher than you expect.”
 
“Alright. Let's go before I change my mind about this.”
 
He leapt from the balcony so suddenly Kagome was caught off guard and flew backwards slightly, causing her to overcompensate by practically squeezing the life out of the hanyou's neck, burying her head in the crook of his shoulder. Her stomach flew into her throat, and for several seconds she remained with her eyes squeezed tightly shut, knowing if she opened them she would see nothing but the ground a nauseating distance away.
 
It was the sound of laughter that brought her out of her safe little bubble of darkness, and Kagome couldn't help but open her eyes, though her head remained securely against his shoulder, her eyes looking at the back of Inuyasha's neck, his hair flying in her face. “What's so funny?”
 
The hanyou laughed again, the sound ringing like bells in her heart. “I haven't done this in ages.”
 
There was such pure, unadulterated joy in what he said that Kagome couldn't help but lift her head to look at his face, in the process getting a good look at the world flying by around her.
 
She gasped.
 
Inuyasha had clearly leapt far over her balcony, because now they were running along the very top of the castle, and all Kagome could think about was the incredible view spread out before her, as though she were on top of the world. The mountains to the East, which marked the boundary to Inuyasha's home, were breathtakingly clear from her vantage point, the peaks still dusted with snow despite the heat of summer, and everywhere else were rolling hills and plains of all shades of green and yellow, dotted here and there with clumps of houses.
 
“Oh Inuyasha,” she sucked in a deep breath, “It's beautiful!”
 
“You like it?”
 
“Very much!”
 
“Then watch this!” He picked up his speed, and Kagome felt the smile fade from her face as they approached the edge of the roof.
 
Clutching his shirt tightly with her fingers to the point of them turning white, Kagome bit her lip and shrank down against his back once more. “Inuyasha, what are you doing? You're not going to be able to stop!”
 
He turned to glance over his shoulder and gave her a roguish smile, one that tugged at her heart and caused love to well up anew in her heart. “I don't want to stop, Kagome! Just hold on!”
 
She didn't like the sound of that, and sure enough, before she even knew what was happening he leapt off the balcony, sending them soaring into the sky.
 
Without meaning to, Kagome let loose a cry of surprise as they began to descend, the ground rushing up to meet them as her stomach leapt upward again. And yet, some part of her was beginning to enjoy the sensation, with the wind in her hair and rushing past her ears in a thrill of sound that sent shivers throughout her body.
 
As they landed on the ground Inuyasha began to move his legs once more, and Kagome clutched his neck tightly as he picked up the pace until he was moving at an incredible speed, Kagome's robe blowing out behind her, feeling like it would have blown off entirely were it not securely strapped around her waist.
 
She loved this!
 
Without thinking, she threw her head back and laughed, and Inuyasha could have died with delight at the sound, knowing the woman on his back was loving this as much as he did.
 
He had tried to take Kikyou on such an adventure once, but the woman had demanded he put her down almost immediately, saying it was not appropriate and that it would ruin her reputation if they were caught doing such a childish thing.
 
Looping around a large tree, Inuyasha headed back for the castle, which had become much smaller as he had moved further from it than he's first realized.
 
Kagome understood that they were going back, and felt her heart sigh in disappointment as she moped on his back, leaning her head close to his ear. “Must we go back?”
 
Inuyasha grinned, understanding her frustration. “I'm afraid so. They'll be looking for you at any time, and I've already been gone for too long.” He broke into a full smile. “But at least now you'll look like you went riding!” Kagome laughed at that, and the sound brought pure joy to his heart.
 
God he would miss her when she was gone. She brought such a light into his life; a light he hadn't quite realized had been missing until she arrived at court.
 
With one final leap they were on her balcony, and Kagome was sliding from his back, though he could feel her reluctance. Frankly he felt disappointed as well as the warmth and comfort of her arms left him, her soft body pulling away from his. The friction between them, along with the underlying tension, had sparked that hidden desire he tried so desperately to ignore, but Inuyasha also felt like he was losing a friend…a good friend.
 
They had already gone down the road to an adult love, and neither of them regretted such a night no matter how forbidden it was, but now Inuyasha also felt like they had formed a more innocent, child-like relationship as well.
 
For the rest of his life, no matter where he was or how far away from her he ended up, he would never forget her laughter in his ear as the wind swept past them at a breakneck speed.
 
Kagome…he would miss her so much…
 
Turning around, he chuckled as he observed her windswept hair, which was frazzled and wild about her face, her cheeks red from the exertion and excitement, her breath coming in a short and rapid pattern.
 
“So…I kept my promise; you didn't get hurt,” he finally offered, breaking the silence, unsure of what else he could say. There was so much that could have been said, and so much he dared not voice openly, to her or to anyone.
 
Kagome beamed at him. “No I didn't. In fact,” She put her arms out and twirled around twice in girlish delight, “That was more fun than anything I've ever experienced. I wish I could do it again sometime!”
 
He smiled. “Well, maybe I can take you out again sometime before…” He trailed off, suddenly feeling his mood sour as he was unable to finish the thought. Before you leave me for good, his mind finished, and he frowned, looking away.
 
Sensing his change of mood, and understanding the reason for it, Kagome just smiled again, not wanting to end the morning on such a depressing note. Reaching up, she touched his cheek, which was hot from the exertion of running, and she felt a spark of desire run throughout her body, heating her own face. “I'll always treasure this memory, Inuyasha,” she said sincerely. “I'll never forget it for as long as I live.”
 
He had promised her once, several months ago when they had been riding to Miroku's home (how things had changed since then!) that he would take her out with him…and now she could understand why he loved it so much, and why he hated being restricted to horses. Kagome would probably like it less now too.
 
Silence stretched between them and, unable to say any more for fear of voicing something they would both regret, Inuyasha just nodded and stepped away from her touch, moving quickly away and leaping back to his balcony, where he retrieved her violin and brought it back to her. “Here…you should put this somewhere safe, where it won't get broken.”
 
Nodding, Kagome slowly took the case from his arms, holding it securely in her own as she gave him a smile. “Thank you…for everything.” She looked over his shoulder, towards the mountains once more. “I was so sad this morning…so melancholy. But you changed that.” She smiled at him again.
 
Feeling uncomfortable under such intimate praise, Inuyasha just nodded awkwardly and stepped away once more. “Sure. I'll…I'll see you, I guess, in a couple of hours, at the wedding.”
 
Kagome winced at the reference, for a moment having forgotten about that, but still managed to nod. “Yeah; I'll see you then.”
 
And with that he leapt away from her once more, leaving Kagome feeling very alone and empty inside, as though he had exchanged the violin for her heart and had now taken it away with him. As she watched him fly through the air and land with ease on his own balcony once more, a soft, wistful smile came to her face.
 
She had been wrong in saying that he was clumsy. After seeing him leap through the air and fly along the ground, Kagome decided that her hanyou King was the most graceful man she had ever seen.
 
“Inuyasha…”
 
Her throat clenched, and Kagome swallowed the lump down fiercely as she turned to head back into her own chambers, trying to figure out how she was going to explain to Yuka why her hair, which the maid had spent so long perfecting, now looked like it had been blasted by the winds of a hurricane.