InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The King's Mistress ❯ Unrequited Love (Part II) ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Notes: As I stated before, this chapter is just a continuation of the previous chapter…and it is a very good thing I broke it into two parts since this chapter is nearly the same length (25 pages) as part one. This is where the angst starts coming in ample amounts, so everyone grab a tissue box and keep it handy! Enjoy!
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
Title: The King's Mistress
 
Author: dolphingirl0113
 
Chapter Twenty-Three: Unrequited Love (Part Two)
 
Rating: PG-13 (for language and, at times, implied sexual situations)
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha, nor do I take credit for several of the historical ideas, facts, and realities I have taken and used.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
It had finally arrived. That moment on that day of days which I had been dreading so much since I first realized that I loved Inuyasha.
 
The wedding was set to be a spectacular event thanks to my tireless planning with the help of close friends such as Sango and Rin, along with Shippou, who helped with little tasks such as making sure I remembered who was who and what I had placed where. Children are remarkably good at such tasks.
 
Everyone was rejoicing such an event before it had even officially begun, the pews of the great church filling long before any person of royalty was scheduled to appear…but no one cared, because they didn't want to miss a thing.
 
The only somber face, I think, in the whole audience, was mine. I was skulking, and had been ever since Inuyasha had left me standing on my balcony clutching that violin case in my arms, dressed in nothing but a thin robe and a white nightgown, watching him disappear into his rooms and leaving me forever. My heart was breaking, and even now, when I think of that day, I feel…God help me; I still don't know how to put it into words…my hand shakes as I try to write, still feeling pain as I recall what was supposed to be the wedding that would be talked of for generations. And it was all my doing…
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
The noise trickling up the grand staircases was growing to the point that fragments of conversation could almost be heard by the occupants of the top floor, and the tension in the air was palpable. Every noble lord and lady was making his or her way to the great cathedral that had been built alongside the castle, dressed in their finest as they prepared to witness the greatest event of their lives, feeling lucky that they had lived to see it.
 
It was hard to believe that a mere wedding could cause such an uproar, but then again Kagome had learned in her time at court that the people loved it when the royal family put on a show. They loved displays of vast wealth and luxury, for it gave them something to fantasize about in their own minds, and this wedding was the ultimate display of a fairy tale come true.
 
She grunted.
 
If only they knew that their supposed fairy tale was really a nightmare that had trapped three innocent people and wouldn't let them go.
 
Sighing as she heard yet another boisterous shout followed by a laugh coming from the mob downstairs, Kagome closed her eyes and tried to block out the noise, wishing she could just forget this day was even happening. All she wanted to do was run away…far away where they would never be able to find her…but it was too late for that. There would be no running; she'd had too many chances to do just that, and she had stupidly chosen to remain true and steady.
 
For that she now had to suffer the agony of her heart slowly breaking into a thousand pieces, with each piece scattering itself in another corner of the universe that was her soul to the point that she would never be able to collect them all and be whole again.
 
“Kagome?” She turned towards the voice. “Come in here…you'll ruin your hair if you stand out in the wind for too long.”
 
How typical of Kikyou to think of something so trivial on such a day, Kagome thought as she shook her head and took one final look out over the sweeping plains of the West, remembering how she and Inuyasha had traversed them earlier that morning. That memory seemed so far away now…as though it had never truly happened.
 
Yet another dream she would lock away in her heart for safe-keeping.
 
Turning around, careful not to step on the long skirts of her new gown, Kagome walked back into Kikyou's chambers, feeling the instant warmth since her sister had felt the need to keep the fires burning even after the sun came up.
 
Kikyou sat in one of her plush chairs, reclining slightly as two maids finished braiding her hair and looping it under to pin near her scalp, save for one braid on each side that was purposefully hanging lower than the others and looping around her ears. It was a complex hairstyle that was meant to be stunning but still not, as Kikyou herself had put it, meant to draw attention away from the crown that would soon be resting on her head.
 
Kagome shook her head at the memory. Her older sister was always planning such seemingly miniscule details, ever the type to put on a flawless show for whoever was watching.
 
Any more, the younger woman thought that Kikyou Higurashi had become the very masquerade she had created, only removing her mask when she felt safe and secure in Kagome's presence. She was better, Kagome thought, at being the falsely cheerful courtier than she was at being true to her self.
 
Kikyou…Kagome's heart wailed silently, mourning the loss of yet another loved one…what has become of us? Where will this path lead us, sister? Can we ever return to what we used to be?
 
No. They could never be what they had been when living at the Higurashi mansion in the country.
 
Kagome recalled an argument her father had once had with one of his friends from court while holding a party for Kikyou's eighth birthday. The man had been insisting that the Higurashi daughters should be sent to France like all the other children of the court to learn proper manners, etiquette, and court decorum, and that if they did not go either there or to England they would be social outcasts. But Lord Higurashi had harshly retorted that his daughters could learn all that was required while still at home, and that he would not send either of his beloved girls into the snake pit that was a courtier's life (most especially to either France or England) until they absolutely had to.
 
Kagome recalled him saying (as she had listened while hiding behind the curtains of one of the large windows in the dining hall) that innocence was like a beautiful smooth stone given to someone as a gift that is slowly, over the years, dropped or scraped against a wall so that it roughens and looses its shine and softness.
 
Once the rock becomes rough, he had said, it doesn't matter how much one tries to smooth it, for it shall never be naturally smooth again.
 
How rough she had become, Kagome thought with a sad smile. How rough they all were. None of them seemed to sparkle any more, so caught up as they were in this lie they had created for themselves; this false sense of happiness that everyone except they themselves seemed to actually feel.
 
"You're lost in thought again."
 
Shaking her head, Kagome looked over at Kikyou, only realizing then that she had been blankly staring at the far wall. She noticed how there was one smooth stone in the center of a cluster of rough, jagged stones all pieced together to form the wall itself, and shook her head violently to shake such thoughts from her mind. They did her no good, instead simply depressing her further.
 
For once, memories of her father brought Kagome Higurashi no comfort. She had not thought such a reality possible…
 
"I'm just very tired,” she finally replied as she realized that the older woman was giving her a harsh, appraising stare, no doubt trying to decipher what had her younger sister so preoccupied on this her wedding day.
 
Yet Kikyou accepted the reply and simply nodded with a sigh of understanding and closed her eyes momentarily. "As am I. I can't remember the last time I had a peaceful night's rest…but this nightmare you and I have lived is almost over, sister, and once I'm Queen I'll make sure you're happy and that no one speaks against either of us again."
 
As much as she appreciated the gesture, knowing that it was meant as an offer of comfort and love, Kagome had to hold back the urge to spit out the reality that while Kikyou's nightmare was perhaps ending her own was just beginning; the nightmarish reality of living her entire life worlds away from the man she loved, with another in her life and in her bed.
 
Unwittingly Kagome shuddered at the image of Kouga trying to kiss her the way Inuyasha had. She just couldn't think of kissing, touching, or holding any man but Inuyasha, or any other man doing the same to her…and she was certain she could not give Kouga the tenderness he deserved for all of his kindness to her.
 
Such a thought did nothing to assuage her guilt.
 
"He deserves so much better than me and what I can give him," she muttered, thinking of the wolf with his shining blue eyes and merry laughter that rang like the chimes of church bells on a clear afternoon. He was still a somewhat smooth stone.
 
"What did you say?" Kikyou opened her eyes and turned slightly in her seat to face her sister, though she was careful to move slow enough so as not to disturb the pins that were carefully being placed in her hair. She was not in the mood to have to start all over again nor was she really that excited about being stabbed harshly in the scalp, and a harsh, sudden movement would result in one of the two, if not both, of the inevitable outcomes.
 
Kagome blinked, not having realized that she'd spoken aloud. She would have to be more careful. "It was nothing...just me talking to myself again." She shrugged and tried to put a smile on her face, but stopped when she knew it would look as artificial as the false kindness that had existed between herself and Kagura. "You look beautiful, Kikyou," she finally offered as an olive branch for being unable to smile on her sister's wedding day.
 
The older woman was able to manage a genuine smile at that, her eyes softening tenderly as she gazed at Kagome steadily. "As do you. No doubt Bankotsu will be falling all over himself when he sees you in that gown." She cocked an eyebrow knowingly. "He had it made for you, right?"
 
"Yes," Kagome blushed again at the thought of the Eastern King, though for once his dark, seductive eyes, broad muscular shoulders, chorded biceps, and rich, raven black hair that was always pulled back into that long braid did nothing to distract her lamenting heart.
 
Absentmindedly she smoothed out an unseen wrinkle in the skirts of her stunning blue and white gown, glancing at the full-length mirror on the other side of the room, twirling slightly as she observed her figure, taking any small distraction she could get.
 
Immodestly, the dress was stunning.
 
The darker blue spirals of silk throughout the lighter blue fabric gave it an exotic look, making Kagome herself seem otherworldly, the white satin around the waist sewn in such a place as to make her slim waist look even smaller, the white around the neckline accenting the bust while the skirts, like always, made her hips look larger as well, giving her much more generous curves...the kind that women always tried to appear to have.
 
Even in her sour mood Kagome couldn't help but smirk slightly at that thought.
 
The sleeves were her favorite part of the gown, with the striped blue and white satin, the fabric draping, as it always did, over her knuckles, everything accented by the sheer, transparent veil of fabric sewn onto either shoulder and draping out behind her along with over her hands, following the contours of her sleeves while also taking their own path to the floor to follow behind her as she walked.
 
Kagome had no doubt she would be the envy of every woman at court on that day of days...so why couldn't she manage to find happiness in that?
 
Twirling again in front of the mirror, watching the generous skirts billow out as the sleeves extended to follow her in a wide circle, she thought about the look of pure jealousy that had crossed Inuyasha's face when she'd told him that the beautiful gown was from Bankotsu.
 
Unfortunately that brought an onslaught of other memories, and Kagome recalled the feel of his hard body as he held her close on several different occasions, her cheek against his chest, his chin a pleasantly heavy weight on her head. His fingers were always so soft and just as gentle as he ran them through her hair...
 
He had invaded her mind, and Kagome couldn't get him out. He was everywhere all at once, pulling at her heart, tugging at her soul, calling to her to come to him, to never leave his side...
 
"Inuyasha..." She whispered his name aloud, but so softly that not even Kikyou, in her preoccupation with other matters, heard.
 
His silver hair gleaming in the light of dawn, his eyes mirroring the colors of the sky...his smile, shy and uncertain, so rare and yet so treasured by her...his confident posture and fiery temper that hid a much softer, unsure personality...a man that was both King and lost little boy at the same time...
 
Inuyasha!
 
Kagome's heart cried for him. She needed his presence, and she knew that so long as he was apart from her she would never be completely content.
 
The maids finished braiding her hair, and Kikyou sighed in relief as she was finally allowed to get to her feet, having sat for so long that she had been forced to find and use every ounce of patience in her being so as to avoid snapping out at one of her maids, or even at Kagome, in her frustration at the painfully slow and tedious process.
 
But as she glanced in the mirror before her she knew it had been worth it, and nodded her head with a smirk of satisfaction.
 
As the two servants went to retrieve the veil that would complete her ensemble (she was already wearing the elaborate gown), Kikyou turned to look at Kagome with a smile, but it instantly faded as she saw, with horror, her normally strong-minded, strong-willed sister standing rigid with her back towards her, her hands clenched at her sides and her entire body shaking in earth-shattering quakes.
 
"Kagome!" The older woman exclaimed without thinking, concern etched into her voice. She moved toward her sister and placed a hand on Kagome's shoulder, to which the younger woman flinched before relaxing slightly into the touch.
 
Falling back on memories of what they used to do to comfort one another, Kikyou wrapped her arms around Kagome's waist and allowed the younger girl to lean back and rest her head against Kikyou's shoulder...but the shaking didn't stop. In response, the older woman squeezed tighter, rocking back and forth slightly. "Dear sister, what's troubling you? You look so ill and pale..."
 
Kagome barely heard Kikyou's voice, clinging to it as her salvation amidst so much inner turmoil. This was her reward, after all, for giving up the man she loved: the gratitude and love of her older sister, who she had always adored so much.
 
But how could she answer such a question? She was so tired of lying, and yet the truth would stagger her sister and ruin this day and all the days to come...and then all that Kagome had already sacrificed would have been for nothing.
 
"I'm afraid..." She finally replied, which was true...to a point. She was afraid of how she was going to live when Inuyasha was no longer in her life; afraid that her normally strong constitution would waver without his loving gaze and comforting words in her times of need. Afraid that Kouga's love would not be enough, and that she would slowly waste away to be nothing but a shell of a woman.
 
In short, she was afraid to live without him.
 
Dear God above, how had she come to love him so much in such a short time? It had all happened so suddenly. One moment she had found him annoying and arrogant, and the next she had been so passionately in love with him she could barely breathe in his presence.
 
Kikyou squeezed slightly, trying to offer physical comfort as she tried to comprehend what her sister meant by saying that she was afraid. What was there to fear now? The Hell…the nightmare…was almost over, wasn't it?
 
"Don't worry, Kagome," she finally began, "We'll be apart only by the distance between us. You've reminded me of the joys of having a sister, and I have no intention of leaving you to be alone in the North. I'll write to you every day, and find excuses to visit you and bring you to visit me as often as I can." She sighed, leaning forward to rest her head on Kagome's, who was slightly shorter than her. "If I could take it back I would. I was foolish to arrange such an engagement that would put you so far from me and you so far from our family."
 
Closing her eyes, trying to absorb the comfort in those words and ignore the harsher reminders of her reality, Kagome shuddered and closed her eyes, a solitary tear flowing out the corner of her left eye. "To think that I've been strong every day until now," she muttered, "And yet now, of all times, I am afraid." She grimaced and growled inwardly at herself. "I'm a weak, ignorant, stupid fool."
 
Blinking several times, Kikyou comprehended what she was hearing before turning Kagome to face her, placing her palm on Kagome's cheek, noting the way the younger girl leaned into the caress as though desperate for any touch of affection.
 
"Fear does not make us weak, Kagome," she stated firmly, seeing the younger woman snort in disbelief, causing her to harden her expression slightly. "It's true! Fear makes us stronger. Fear of what will come if we do not act...fear of what we will lose...it gives us the strength and the courage to move forward." She smiled softly. "To fear means we care. I find that comforting."
 
Her stare was blank as Kagome looked at Kikyou, taking all her words and turning them over in her mind as she tried to draw a meaning from what she was hearing. "Does that mean you're afraid too, Kikyou?"
 
The older woman sighed and looked away, towards the open doors leading out onto the balcony, her eyes glazing over in memory. "I've been afraid for so long that sometimes I think I've been afraid all of my life. Ever since I abandoned that innocent man to such a cruel fate, I've looked over my shoulder every minute of every day half expecting God to strike me down as punishment for such a sin." She closed her eyes. "I had promised to marry that man; we were as good as married...and I abandoned him in his time of need all for fear of what would happen to me if I did go fight on his behalf."
 
Kagome raised an eyebrow. "So in that sense fear was a bad thing...it kept you from the man you loved."
 
"I suppose. But Kagome," the sisters locked gazes again, "For every story like that there are others where fear plays a part in saving someone's life or giving them the strength to live on. And I know that's true with you. You are such a compassionate person that you care for everyone and everything all at once.” She smiled sadly and gathered Kagome to her once more, pulling the girl's head down to rest on her shoulder and stroking her hair lightly (though she was careful not to ruin all of Yuka's hard work). “Those who love the most, it is said, have the most to lose...and that would mean at any given moment you, probably more than any of us, have much to lose. I am sorry for such a burden, but also know it's what makes you who you are. I admire you for that, Kagome, and I respect you. You are a better person than I could ever hope to be.”
 
Perhaps it was the spell her sister's deep, velvety voice had always been able to spin over her head, or perhaps it was the genuine honesty and love in her words, but either way Kagome felt an honest smile curving up the corners of her lips, and without thinking she wrapped her arms around Kikyou's slim frame, pulling the woman tightly to her as she exhaled a long, slow breath.
 
“Thank you, sister,” she whispered. “Thank you.”
 
It was worth it, she decided…all of her sacrifices…they were worth it to hear such words from the woman she loved so much. She would do anything to keep her safe and happy.
 
Stepping back slightly, Kikyou's face lit up suddenly. “I have an idea. Wait here and close your eyes.”
 
Kagome arched an eyebrow, feeling an odd sense of déjà vu as she obeyed, hearing Kikyou call out for one of her maids to retrieve what she mysteriously called `the box'…whatever that meant.
 
“I was going to give this to you this afternoon in front of everyone at the banquet following the wedding. I meant it to be a public gesture of my gratitude for all you have done for me, though it could never really convey what I feel…but I think it would be better suited if I gave it to you now, and then you could wear it today in the wedding. After all, it matches your gown perfectly.”
 
Kagome couldn't help but smile slightly in anticipation as she thought about what her sister could possibly be presenting her with. A brooch, perhaps? Or an expensive scarf or fan from the Indies?
 
But nothing could have prepared her for what she saw when Kikyou told her to open her eyes.
 
The same maid who had earlier come to Inuyasha's room looking for Kagome was now holding a large mahogany box with the lid folded back on several hinges to reveal what was inside.
 
A stunning crown of polished silver rested on a bed of purple velvet, gleaming at Kagome as it caught the light of the sun cascading in through the windows to contrast with the yellows and oranges of the fire crackling in the great hearth.
 
It was a very feminine design, more in the style of a circlet than the crowns of the Kings, which circled the entire head in tall crests and points. The silver started in a gradual rise near the back and slowly grew until it was a generous height, climaxing where it would rest on the center of the wearer's forehead. There were five places where the crown rose sharply into a pointed peak, with two matching pairs of equal heights on each side, the fifth peak in the middle standing alone as the largest.
 
The polished silver alone would have been enough to bring tears to Kagome's eyes, but there was more. For each peak, resting in the center, there was a generously cut diamond-shaped sapphire, and like the crests the sapphires grew larger as they moved toward the center, the one in the middle the largest jewel Kagome had ever accepted as her own.
 
Outlining each sapphire from tip to tip were shining, beautifully cut round diamonds, and as if that weren't enough, there was also a long line of diamonds that ran from one sapphire to the next, the line growing wider and then narrower as it followed the design of the crown itself, dwindling and then disappearing completely as it reached the back of the crown on either side, where the silver was connected by a simple, thin curve that would rest on the back of the head and most likely be hidden by hair anyway.
 
Clearly, whoever had made the masterpiece knew their craft very well, for the crown was perfect for a woman with long hair that usually fell loosely down over her neck and back, everything about it drawing one's attention to the center rather than the sides or the back. It was a simple design, to be sure, for normally crowns held more than just two types of stones, and they were also usually made of gold, not silver, but to Kagome, it was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen.
 
“Kikyou…I…” Her breath came out in a rush of air as she gaped at the beautiful crown before her, knowing it had to be worth a small fortune. “What is this for?”
 
The older woman smiled happily at her sister's reaction, turning Kagome to face the full-length mirror behind her as she spoke. “While I was designing my crown, I decided I wanted to do something for you. So I spoke with Kouga to make sure there were no rules about this sort of thing in the North and then had a crown made for you, knowing exactly what you like because of the kind of jewelry you always wear. It's simple and elegant, but still stunning...just like you.”
 
Kagome watched the reflections in the mirror move behind her as Kikyou brought her maid over to stand before them while not blocking the mirror itself. “But I still don't understand…what is this for?”
 
“Well, if you like, this can be your crown when you are made Queen of the North. You see?” She indicated the case. “It is kept in a case with purple velvet…the color of royalty. But even if you want a different crown for your coronation day, you can still wear it today since it matches your gown perfectly. Kouga gave his permission for you to wear a crown, as though you are already a Queen.”
 
Slowly, with a great show of dramatic ceremony, Kikyou took the masterpiece of glistening sapphires, shimmering diamonds, and sparkling silver in her hands and placed it on Kagome's head, arranging her hair appropriately so that it rested on her head as though it had been made for her and her alone.
 
It was stunning…and it truly did match her gown (and personality) perfectly.
 
Without thinking, Kagome reached up and touched the tips of her fingers to the side of the crown, feeling the smooth silver under her fingertips and sighing in unintentional pleasure. She had never owned anything so beautiful in her entire life.
 
Kikyou smiled at the reaction and leaned in to whisper in her sister's ear affectionately. “It's about time you started thinking of yourself as the Queen you are going to be, Kagome.” Their eyes met in the reflections of the mirror. “You are my sister, and together we shall be the most revered Queens this country has ever seen; noble, beautiful, and kind.”
 
Swallowing, Kagome felt her emotions warring within her breast. A part of her wanted to smile at such a thought, the idea of being a Queen alongside her sister suddenly seeming like a marvelous idea, but the other part of her, the part ruled by her heart, hated the reminder that, in order to be Queens together, first Kikyou had to marry Inuyasha.
 
The man she loved.
 
What a situation she found herself in…
 
There was the sound of a loud knock on the door, and both women started out of their private thoughts as Miroku called through to them in a confident voice. “Is the bride almost ready?”
 
Kikyou laughed in spite of herself. “Yes…I'll be ready in a few minutes. But there's no major rush, is there?”
 
“It's later than you may realize. Don't forget, my lady, that you also have the procession before the wedding. The people have already begun lining the roads.”
 
“Of course; I'll be ready to leave soon. Thank you, my lord.”
 
Miroku chose not to respond to that, but Kagome could hear his hasty footsteps as he made a hasty retreat, no doubt back to his or Inuyasha's rooms to finalize the plans for the day.
 
As was appropriate and proper, Kikyou and her wedding party would process throughout a path that Kagome, Rin, Sango, and Miroku had mapped out for the past few weeks, making it hit several designated villages so that the poorer general public would be able to get a glimpse of their future Queen and take some part in such a grand ceremony, even if they were not high enough in station to warrant an invitation to the actual wedding.
 
Such a reality meant business was booming for all of the innkeepers in the nearby villages as people journeyed from all over the country, filling every room in every inn, so that they could get up early on the day of the wedding and line the roads to glimpse a small piece of such a lavish, extravagant ceremony...the only window they had into a world which they would never be a part of.
 
Inuyasha and his party, which consisted of many noble lords and dukes, along with, naturally, Bankotsu, Kouga, and Sesshoumaru, would start the procession, with the King leading the way, followed, in order of greatest to least importance, by his entourage of men. Even Henry VIII would be in the parade as he was Inuyasha's “most honored” royal guest. Then, after the last man had left the courtyard of the castle, Kikyou's procession would begin, but in the opposite order, starting with the least important and ending with herself. Placing the bride and groom at opposite ends of the procession was supposed to guarantee that neither would glimpse each other before the actual ceremony took place since that was considered bad luck and an omen of unfavorable things to come.
 
Technically Kikyou had been told that to be proper Katharine of Aragorn would have to ride just before her as she was the second-most important person in the entourage, being the wife of Henry VIII. But after Henry himself had instructed that Anne Boleyn was to be placed in an equal position to Katharine, which ruined all laws of proper etiquette, Kikyou had decided to skirt the rules once more and instructed that Kagome would be riding at her side at the end of the procession.
 
It was a huge honor, and one that had shocked Kagome since it basically sent the message to the public that Kagome was Kikyou's equal. After so many years of being rivals, suddenly the older sister, in the one moment when she could gloat in ultimate triumph, was instead choosing to share the glory.
 
Such a reality made it difficult for Kagome to remain unhappy and bitter about the wedding…but that didn't mean such feelings went away. They just turned even sourer as she was wracked with guilt.
 
Crossing her arms, Kagome turned to watch as one of Kikyou's maids put the final touch on the bride, placing her long, flowing veil over her head, a modest circlet sitting in the place where the crown of a Queen would eventually rest; but for now something else was required to keep the veil elevated so that it fell into all the right places.
 
Leave it to Kikyou to choose a veil that required a crown to look correct.
 
As the transparent fabric fell over her sister's face, Kagome couldn't help but shudder, feeling as though a large stone door had just been slammed shut, sealing her fate, and the fate of everyone around her, for good. The love of her life slipped just a little further through her fingers, and Kagome knew the moment he vowed “I do” in the church later that day what little grip she still had on him would vanish completely.
 
Her stone was chipped just a little more.
 
“Well…how do I look?” Kikyou asked, appearing suddenly nervous as she met Kagome's gaze, twirling delicately and carefully, not wanting to disturb any of the carefully placed pins or stitches anywhere on her body that had been used to give her the perfect wedding ensemble.
 
That lump that was becoming far too familiar returned, and Kagome swallowed as her eyes looked up and down her sister's twirling figure, knowing only one word could be used, and wishing suddenly with all her heart that Kikyou could be just a little less beautiful.
 
But she wasn't.
 
Instead, she was stunning; befitting of the title of the most beautiful woman in the country. There would be no doubt of that reality after today, when everyone saw her process through the villages and then take her vows in the great church of the West where Inutaisho had married his first wife.
 
The gown itself was spun of a deep gold satin, and Kagome wondered if perhaps the gown had been made by the same people who had done her own as there were the silhouettes of flowers sewn into the skirts and bust of the dress, though Kikyou's designs were more obvious than Kagome's spirals as they were done in an off-white satin.
 
Her sleeves, normally tight, looked like they were almost stuffed as they poofed out around her arms starting from the top shoulder seam down to her elbow, where the fabric then fell loosely over her knuckles, though the style from the elbow down was still much tighter than Kagome's dramatically draping sleeves. Three rings of off-white silk circled the sleeves as well, one at the top of the shoulder, one at the elbow, and one at the end seam over the fingers.
 
Rather than the usual white silk or velvet outline at the waistline, there were instead ten strands of pearls stacked together and held by thin white strings in several unseen places along the waist (Kagome knew they were there only because she had seen the tailors tying them earlier that morning), making a wide line that would appear attached by any person standing further than ten feet away. Four more such lines consisting of ten pearl strands fell down the skirts to the floor, one on each hip and then one in the front and back, respectively, of Kikyou's waist. As she stood still they were silent, but Kagome knew that when she would move they would create a gentle swishing sound.
 
The neckline, which was done in Kikyou's usual style of being low, but not so low that it was considered immodest, was also outlined by pearls, and a long strand of pearls was looped four times around her neck, with three of those strands hugging her throat while the fourth fell down to dangle suggestively above her modest amount of cleavage.
 
Just as she had announced so long ago on that journey along the road, she had outlined her gown in white pearls to represent virtue and virginity. Virtue, in the strict sense, Kikyou did not have, nor was she a virgin…but what was one more lie on top of all the others?
 
Kagome knew her sister would be carrying a bouquet of yellow and cream colored roses, which would match the rose petals that Kagome had instructed to be lining the red carpet leading from the front of the church through to the alter where…she swallowed at the thought…where Inuyasha would be waiting. She also knew that the crown Kikyou had designed was similar in shape and style to that of Kagome's, though it was made of gold rather than silver, there were seven crests instead of five that were all slightly larger, and that it was complete with two shades of wealthy red jewels (rubies and garnets) and was accented in several different ways by square-cut diamonds.
 
When the wedding was over and Kikyou turned to face everyone with her veil pulled away to reveal her beautiful face and her masterfully designed crown, she would leave the crowd speechless and in awe.
 
“Kagome?” Kikyou raised an eyebrow slightly in question as she chuckled nervously, clearly assuming the worst reasons for her sister's long stretch of silence. “What do you think?”
 
Shaking her head, Kagome forced a false smile onto her face, pasting it down so hard she was confident it would remain firmly in place for the rest of the day while she would have to accept the compliments of all for her planning of the wedding, along with complimenting the bride and groom on what a handsome couple they made.
 
“You look like…” She swallowed. “You look like a Queen.”
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
Everywhere she went Kikyou was greeted by boisterous, excited cheering and applause, which made Kagome's heart soar in spite of her inner grief. It was the public's way of saying to the new bride that they accepted her and welcomed her into their hearts, which provided massive relief since up until that moment neither Higurashi sister had been sure of whether or not Kikyou would be welcome.
 
The procession moved through its designated path without incident, each horse and rider finding his or her way back to the cathedral, everyone lowering their heads in respect for Kikyou as she passed, noting, with surprise, the woman at her side who looked as though she were her double.
 
It would be said in years to come that the lady Kikyou shined radiantly in her gown of yellow and gold, and that none but her sister could possibly compare in beauty or grace.
 
Yet even with the silver and white crown upon her head adorned with such rich sapphires, there was no mistaking who the real Queen was that day, for while Kikyou's back was straight and tall with pride as she waved to her adoring audience, Kagome's head was lowered in pain as she tried to withhold her tears, knowing that each step her horse took drew her one step closer to the moment when she would lose her love forever.
 
People commented on the beauty of the two women at the end of the procession, knowing they were witnessing, in person, the famous Higurashi sisters who were renowned for their beauty, charm, and wit, and who had both captured the eyes and hearts of the court.
 
But the younger woman looked so sad, they all voiced softly, and whispers of how Kikyou was the better choice for the crown, proud and confident as she was, reached Kagome's ears even as she tried to smile each time they reached a new crowd of faces…and knowing she must look awful indeed for such a response from the crowd, since lately she had been the one everyone thought to be strong and confident.
 
Not that this was the first time Kikyou had been called her superior, and so, used to such treatment, Kagome just inclined her head in respectful acceptance of their attention, knowing their bowed heads were not for her but for Kikyou, and also understanding that things would never be the same between the two sisters again as the older woman moved ever closer to the moment when she would be truly placed above Kagome in the eyes of God and the entire country.
 
As Inuyasha's wife.
 
As they passed through the final village, which butted up against the walls of Sesshoumaru's castle, Kagome could hear the mighty organ inside the church itself belting out glorious chords and notes in harmonious melodies reserved strictly for wedding days. The unique music drifted through the great wooden doors which had been thrown open to welcome the fresh air and sunny disposition of the day, piercing the air which was so full of tension and promise for the future that anyone could have cut it with the dullest of knives.
 
It was as though the constant prayers and good wishes had summoned the angels themselves, for Kagome could have sworn she almost felt an otherworldly presence as she halted her horse by the great cathedral, dismounting and smoothing the skirts of her gown with shaking hands. A slight wind blew through the courtyard, and Kagome almost felt a momentary sense of peace in her heart as the breeze rustled her hair and caressed her face.
 
She could almost imagine her father at her side putting an arm around her shoulders, whispering in her ear to smile and be merry, promising that it would all work out in the end.
 
“I just don't see how it can this time, papa,” she sighed, glancing up at the sky, dotted with puffy white clouds moving lazily by.
 
The sound of murmured conversation could be heard from within, and Kagome could picture perfectly in her mind the rows upon rows of dignitaries and lords, with their wives at their sides, leaning towards one another to comment on the beauty of the day or the lovely decorations provided by Kagome, Rin, and Sango.
 
By now Inuyasha and the others would be in place waiting…
 
Taking a deep breath, Kagome tried desperately to slow her rapidly beating heart, knowing if it were that fast already she didn't stand a chance when she actual walked into the church and saw Inuyasha waiting at the end of the aisle.
 
She chuckled to think that perhaps that would prove to be her salvation. She could stop the wedding if her heart beat fast enough to cause her to swoon…
 
“Welcome, my lady.” A soft feminine voice wafted towards Kagome on the wind, ruining the fantasy of Inuyasha rushing to catch her in his strong arms as she fell, and she turned to see what appeared to be a middle-aged nun carrying a long cloak of gold and ermine draped over her extended arms.
 
It was the ceremonial robe that had been prepared for several weeks specifically for Kikyou's coronation. The women had begun weaving it together the instant the bride had selected the colors for her dress, and ever since Kagome had been receiving reports on its' progress, from the moment the first threads had been connected to the time it had arrived two days prior in a mahogany case lined with purple silk.
 
It seemed that everything pertaining to royalty, Kagome mused, was kept in a mahogany chest lined with some form of purple fabric. Even Kikyou had felt the need to keep the crown Kagome now wore on her head in a case with a purple pillow, and Rin would soon carry Kikyou's crown into the church on a pillow of purple and gold.
 
But first the soon-to-be Queen had to be given her royal cloak of gold, the ermine which outlined the fabric signifying that it belonged to a royal since in their country no one but members of the royal family were allowed to adorn their clothing with ermine…a luxury Kikyou had been sure to use since she had first become engaged to Inuyasha and given the right to wear the white fur.
 
Kagome smirked sardonically as she recalled the way her older sister had many of her gowns lined with ermine several months ago…ever the one to make subtle and yet obvious public statements of her new position of authority.
 
With Kagome and all of the other women watching, the nun slowly and reverently, almost ceremonially, unfurled the massive cloak, walking around behind Kikyou as she placed it over the young woman's shoulders, a second, younger nun stepping forward to tie the heavy garment with strings of velvet at Kikyou's chest, adjusting her necklace of pearls to drape over the strings rather than being pressed under the weight against her skin.
 
Then, together, the two women, dressed in their black and white habits (looking very humble and lowly compared to the finery of Kikyou's gown and accessories) fixed the cloak of gold behind the bride in a long train that extended nearly fifteen feet along the ground. And finally, in a great show of ceremony, the two nuns, in perfect unison, made the sign of the cross at Kikyou's back, moved around to stand before Kikyou, crossed themselves again, and then bowed before the woman who would soon be crowned their Queen.
 
Smiling regally, as though the crown were already on her head, Kikyou motioned for them to rise by touching the tops of their heads with the tips of her fingers. They offered her the pure, grateful smiles expected of women who had devoted themselves to God, muttered one more blessing, and then stepped away, back into the shadows of the church and out of the limelight once more.
 
Extending her right hand, Kikyou nodded to show she was ready to receive her bouquet of flowers, and Rin responded instantly by stepping away from the circle of women with the arrangement of yellow and cream colored roses, giving them to the expectant bride. The wife of Sesshoumaru then proceeded to retrieve a matching bouquet from a nearby cart for each of the ten women, including Sango, who would process into the church first.
 
Finally, once every woman (save for Kagome, who would be behind Kikyou holding her cloak off the ground) had received her bouquet, Rin nodded to say that she was ready to receive the crown, and one of the nuns from before appeared reverently carrying the pillow which supported the crown, handing it off to Rin with a nod, making a sign over the crown and murmuring a prayer before stepping away once again.
 
Turning around to face Kikyou and the circle of women once more, everyone waited for the sign to move, but, surprisingly, before motioning for everyone to move into their positions to process (just as they had rehearsed several times the day before), the Queen of the West did something unexpected: she fell gracefully into a deep curtsy, somehow managing to balance the magnificent crown in her left hand as she held her skirts away from her feet in her right, her head bowed elegantly and respectfully.
 
All the other women gaped momentarily, clearly as surprised as Kagome by the unexpected gesture of supplication and respect, but slowly Rin's action started a chain reaction as each woman in turn dropped into a curtsy, their heads bowing and their eyes closing reverently.
 
Beside her Sango also curtsied and, not wanting to appear disrespectful, Kagome slowly lowered her own head and curtsied low, pulling her skirts out behind her so she would not trip, feeling a small amount of bile rise in the back of her throat as she recalled the vow she had made to Inuyasha in the rose gardens so long ago.
 
She would never bow before Kikyou, she had said.
 
You said many things back then, an inner voice reminded her. She couldn't help but chuckle to herself at the thought.
 
Finally, feeling she had paid enough respect to her sister, Kagome rose back to her full height and met Kikyou's gaze, waiting for the signal to take her place. For the briefest instant she thought she saw a flicker of fear and trepidation in her older sister's eyes, but the look was gone just as fast as it appeared, and Kagome assumed she had imagined the whole thing, though she was reminded of what Kikyou had said earlier about fear, and how it gave a person strength.
 
Perhaps Kikyou was using her fear to do just that now.
 
Unfortunately, Kagome thought, such a theory didn't work in her situation as her own fear stemmed from grief, and not from nerves or trepidation about things to come, and as such it could not offer her any needed strength or comfort. Her fear was the fear of being lonely…the fear that her heart would break as soon as her bond with Inuyasha was forcibly cut by the knife of distance that would be placed between them.
 
What if he forgot her? What if she faded away into the back of his memories as he grew accustomed to being married to her sister? He had loved her once…what if he loved Kikyou again? What if she was doomed to forever more pine away for a man who had long since forgotten their beautiful summer together?
 
What if the winter never again turned back over to spring?
 
Inuyasha…
 
As the organ music faded away to be replaced by the song of a boy choir singing a version of If Ye Love Me, all the women moved into their places in their single-file line and began processing into the church carrying their own matching bouquets of flowers and led by a proud Sango, who looked radiant in her gown of white outlined by green velvet, her long brown hair falling loosely down to her waist in generous curls that had taken hours to create, her warm brown eyes gleaming with intelligence.
 
Outside of Kagome and Rin, Sango had the greatest honor as the one at the head of the bride's procession into the church…it had been a favor to Kagome, since Kikyou had admitted to having no friends she wished to give such an honor to. It was clear that whatever friendship she had once shared with the lady Kaguya had disappeared as the woman was not even in the wedding party, and had been placed, purposefully, in one of the pews near the back of the church.
 
From within there was an instant hush as the audience saw Sango appear, and Kagome swallowed down her lump of pain as she moved to pick up the end of Kikyou's long train, lifting it into the air and stepping back a few more paces so that the entire cloak was lifted off the ground and appeared to be floating through the air.
 
This was the greatest honor Kikyou could bestow upon her sister…to carry her train down the aisle on her wedding day…supposedly the happiest day of Kikyou's life…the day when she would marry the love of Kagome's life.
 
Inuyasha! Her heart cried out again not for the first, nor the last, time.
 
A tear suddenly fell down her cheek, and Kagome sniffed, hastily wiping it away before anyone could notice. She could not cry. She had promised herself she would not cry…she had promised…
 
They moved closer to the doors of the church as one by one the ten women carrying the bouquets disappeared into the church, their footsteps slowly fading into nothing, covered by the boy's choir singing up in the balcony.
 
As they had rehearsed, Rin stopped just shy of the threshold of the actual cathedral, still in view of those in the church if they cared to crane their heads and look, though Kikyou was still out of sight around the corner, and together the three remaining women waited for the signal to begin moving.
 
“Blessings upon you, my lady,” the middle-aged nun offered kindly as she and the younger nun stood away from them, her face breaking into a smile as she bowed one last time. “May the lord grant you everlasting joy in your marriage, and through you may he grant the King many sons.”
 
Kagome had been watching her sister to gauge her reaction to all that was happening, but at the mention of sons she nearly gagged at the image of Inuyasha holding Kikyou the way he had held her that night.
 
The thought of them sharing…of them doing…it had honestly never crossed her mind before then; at least, not nearly so vividly.
 
She could see in her mind what would happen that very evening; how following the boisterous banquet everyone would follow the new royal couple to their bedchambers, cheering them with blessings and well wishes while some of the men would make rather immodest jokes before finally watching the groom carry his new bride across the threshold into the room and shutting the door.
 
And then…then…
 
A sob cracked through her lips, and before she could wipe away her tears or muffle the sound all three women looked at her, and even Rin glanced to her left to see what was wrong.
 
“Kagome…” Kikyou arched an eyebrow and frowned in concern. “Sister, what is wrong?”
 
Kagome blushed. “I'm fine!” She exclaimed a little too quickly as she released the cloth of the cloak with one hand to fiercely wipe away her tears. “I'm just a little…overwhelmed. Don't worry, sister; you look lovely, and that's all that matters. No one will even notice me behind you.”
 
Her words seemed to sway the two nuns, who just smiled kindly as they looked away, and even Kikyou simply nodded her head and looked forward once more, no doubt too worried about everything going well for herself to think about Kagome's troubles, but Kagome didn't miss the way Rin's gaze remained on her a few seconds longer than anyone else, her warm brown eyes soft and full of pity.
 
Gods above, Kagome groaned inwardly…did she know too? How many people actually knew, but were too polite to say anything?
 
The thought was nauseating and humiliating, not only for herself, but for Inuyasha and for Kikyou. If people knew that Kikyou's younger sister had been with the King before she had, what would they be thinking…? What would Kouga think of her if he knew the truth? Would he still want her as a wife? Would his pride allow him to marry a woman who was no longer…pure?
 
Before her thoughts could go any further, Kagome was pulled back to reality as the organ started up once again, though it was softer this time as it supported the boy's choir, which broke into a beautiful arrangement of Ave Maria.
 
That was the cue, and Rin began moving slowly forward, pausing slightly with each step as she had rehearsed so ardently the day before, and the sound of people rising to their feet could be heard as Kikyou stepped forward with Kagome matching her pace from behind, making sure the train of the cloak never touched the ground.
 
If it had been silent before as the wedding party had entered the cathedral, then now it was deathly quiet as the choir sang, and Kagome couldn't help but pale slightly as she rounded the corner to greet the sight before her.
 
Hundreds of unfamiliar pale faces stared back at her, or rather, at both her and Kikyou as they moved slowly down the aisle, which had been draped in purple velvet (again, for royalty) and then covered in yellow and cream colored rose petals, which had been crushed enough already to be releasing their sweet scent, mixing with the heady smell of incense to create a unique blend Kagome had never experienced before.
 
She wasn't sure if she particularly liked it. It was almost too sweet. But then again, she'd failed to consider the fact that the priests would be using incense.
 
Mistake number one, she mentally noted.
 
The tapestries that were normally hanging in the great hall and throne room of the castle had been moved into the church so that now there were images of Inutaisho, Inuyasha's father and the first High King of the country, in every corner of the church, creating something of a safe border around the new King and his soon-to-be-crowned Queen.
 
The tapestries on the sides were those of the entire family, with Inuyasha's mother and the two sons included, and then there were two hanging on either side of the alter at the head of the cathedral depicting the great King by himself, one of him in his human form with his white hair billowing out behind him on an invisible wind, his hand on the hilt of his sword, while the other was of him in his demon form with the mighty white dog baring its fangs.
 
But there was clearly a large gap between those two tapestries which Kagome had arranged on purpose for, unbeknownst to Inuyasha or Kikyou, Sesshoumaru and Rin had commissioned a tapestry depicting the new royal couple as their wedding gift. It was currently rolled tightly and hanging from the ceiling discretely, but would be unfurled the moment the priest pronounced the couple to be officially married.
 
Kagome swallowed. That would be the most painful moment of all.
 
The closer they drew to the alter the more familiar the faces became, and Kagome smiled kindly at Hojo and his family, along with Shippou, who was standing on the bench of the pew so he could see. She inclined her head towards a few more friendly acquaintances, still managing to be proper despite the fact that her heart was breaking into a thousand pieces with each step, but instantly felt her lips curve downward into a frown as she passed Naraku, who had that disconcerting smirk on his face, his long brown hair billowing out around him, his posture straight and confident, as though he were a man who knew he'd won some secret battle.
 
Kagome shuddered, trying not to think of what that secret battle was, or what it could mean if Kikyou had indeed lost.
 
Suddenly, for some strange reason, she saw a silver axe glinting in the sunlight, and her beautiful sister's face covered with a blindfold, her hair wrapped in a tight bun. The axe was raised into the air, and then began falling…falling…
 
Kagome jolted, unsure of where that image had come from as she immediately forced her gaze away from Naraku's dark and penetrating eyes, his smirk something that would haunt her dreams for a long time to come.
 
Would Kikyou ever be truly safe and content? For that matter, Kagome mused, would she? Or would she be doomed to forever more worry about the woman and what could happen if someone should find out what she had done.
 
Trying to force such thoughts from her mind, Kagome's eyes drifted forward as they approached the first several rows, momentarily catching the eye of her mother, who stood proudly with Souta at her side in the first pew on the right, King Henry and his court taking up the first three pews on the left. The King had a ridiculously happy smile on his face, demonstrating his love of pomp and ceremony, and Kagome had to resist the urge to shake her head in amazement.
 
It was rather frightening how accurate some of the rumors had been about him. He was a man with boyish delights and pleasures, and clearly loved being a King.
 
As they passed the representation of the English Court (for Kagome knew it was much larger but that not all of the nobility had been able to make the overseas journey), Kagome couldn't help but catch the eye of Anne Boleyn, who stared back with confidence, as though daring her to look away in disapproval.
 
She wasn't exactly beautiful with her thin, waspish waist, pale face, and scrawny arms, but her back was always straight, and her dark, mysterious eyes always gleamed with intelligence as they issued a challenge to anyone who dared meet them directly. Kagome couldn't help but feel sorry for her just as much as she felt sorry for Queen Katharine, who was standing, ironically, next to Anne in the pew in front of hers, with her large, square headdress in the Spanish style, her face wrinkled even as makeup tried to hide what the years had done to her complexion.
 
They were two completely different women, one demure and obedient while the other challenged the constraints of society and dared anyone to say she as a woman was inferior. One came from a long line of royalty, the daughter of Isabella of Spain, taught from the day of her birth how to be proper and regal and yet kind, while the other came from a family that had fought its way into nobility through scandal and skillfully planned marriage connections. One was staunchly Catholic while the other was interested in the new ideas of Martin Luther.
 
They were entirely different, and in a perfect world had been meant for entirely different destinies. Yet fate had thrown them together, with one woman usurping the other for the crown of a Queen…and they both suffered for it.
 
Katherine suffered the loss of the man she had loved and been faithful to for so many years, while Anne was forced to constantly fight an uphill battle against a people who did not accept her.
 
Shaking her head to clear it, Kagome finally managed to break away from that haunting gaze…those tragically beautiful eyes…and look forward once more, towards her own destiny, which also involved heartbreak and sadness.
 
Before her, dressed in his outfit of white and gold, stood Inuyasha, his matching cloak billowing out around him and cascading down the five steps that lead to the alter in a stream of gold fabric. His hair had been brushed to a sheen, looking soft in the light that penetrated through the multi-colored stained glass windows of the church, and Kagome felt that girlish need to reach out and touch it rise up within her gut.
 
Unable to look at him directly, she instantly forced herself to look to his left, where Kouga stood on the third step down on the same side of the alter as the King, with Bankotsu, Kagura, and five of the ten women who had marched in carrying their bouquets on the opposite side. Sesshoumaru and Miroku stood with Inuyasha, Sango beside Miroku, a spot saved at Sesshoumaru's side for Rin, which she gracefully stepped into once she placed the crown in the center of the alter behind the priest, where it could be easily retrieved when the time came.
 
But while Kagome refused to look at him, the hanyou could not help but watch her, glancing over Kikyou entirely and noting instead the way that beautiful blue and white gown hugged every line and curve of Kagome's body. She looked pale, he noted, and he could smell the salt of unshed tears even through the intoxicating scent of roses and incense. His heart instantly went out to her, understanding how she was feeling, for such emotions were roiling within his own breast.
 
Kagome…his heart silently called out to her, and finally, as though hearing and answering in kind, she looked up and met his gaze, causing his heart to flutter and his stomach to clench.
 
She was so beautiful, with her hair framing her face where it fell in graceful curls over her shoulders, cascading in a wealth of curls down her back. Pearls, the same pearls he had given her so long ago as a gift for being his Summer Maiden, hung around her neck in a double strand, and the crown he'd known Kikyou was having made for her sat atop her head, giving her a regal, proud look.
 
The sapphires gleamed and the diamonds sparkled under the light of the sun cascading through the windows, and Inuyasha thought it caused her eyes to shine as well. He'd always felt there was almost a hint of deep blue within her dark, doe-like gaze, and that it always came through in glowing radiance whenever she wore blue, which meant that, thanks to the blue of the dress and the wealthy blue of the sapphires in her crown, he could see the blue very well that afternoon.
 
Kagome…so beautiful…he could still remember the way she had laughed in his ear as he had sprinted across the countryside, her insistent whispers tantalizing as they urged him to go faster.
 
His thoughts were stopped as he heard the choir and the organ cease producing music, and Inuyasha blinked as he became instantly aware of Kikyou slowly taking the steps to meet him at the top before the alter, Kagome bending over to arrange her sister's train on the stone stairs before stepping back and moving to stand beside Kouga, her betrothed.
 
She could sense that Inuyasha's eyes wanted to follow her as she moved to stand behind him, and Kagome felt tears spring anew in the corners of her eyes as she lowered her head to conceal her pain, knowing it would stand out amongst the joyful faces around her.
 
Once she was beside him, Kouga reached out and took her hand in his, squeezing it tightly, and Kagome felt herself come crashing back to reality as she flicked her gaze in his direction, wondering what had caused that spontaneous gesture of kindness and affection.
 
His blue eyes met her gaze steadily, for once his intention unreadable, and Kagome had the uncomfortable feeling he knew exactly what was going through her mind at that moment as she watched the priest take the hands of Inuyasha and Kikyou and join them before him, making several gestures and motions with his hands as he spoke the ancient, ritualistic marriage words.
 
Whether he knew or not, Kagome was grateful for the friendship Kouga offered in that moment, and she returned the pressure with equal force, if not a little more, knowing with his demon strength there was no risk of cutting off the circulation to his hand.
 
Time seemed to freeze and move too fast all at once, and Kagome could feel the love of her life slip through her fingers like water through a strainer. The words of the priest faded into the background of her mind as Kagome watched the back of Inuyasha's head, grateful that it was Kikyou's face she was looking at and not the hanyou King's.
 
That would have been too much.
 
Kikyou's expression was one of confidence mixed with an expected amount of nervousness and uncertainty, like any bride not feeling sure of herself until the “I dos” were spoken aloud for all witnesses to hear. She blinked rapidly, focusing on Inuyasha's handsome face, keeping her mask carefully in place as she inwardly felt her heart close off the part of her that had loved Onigumo, knowing this would forever more securely put that part of her life behind her.
 
There was no where left to go but forward, and with that thought in mind Kikyou Higurashi put a smile on her face for all to see.
 
Inuyasha felt a small part of his heart flutter as he saw that smile, the selfsame smile which had captured his heart in the first place, telling him that she still held a certain amount of the old power over him. It was as though she could weave a spell over his head with her deep voice, dark brown eyes, swan-like neck, delicate hands, and beautiful smile.
 
Perhaps, he inwardly thought, it would be better to give in to that spell then to spend the rest of his life wondering what it would have been like had he married Kagome instead.
 
It was strange that everyone should be so happy except for the bride, the groom, and the lonely sister standing off to the side who had planned the entire ceremony from the start. If anyone thought of it that way, they would have thought about how ridiculous it all seemed…and indeed it was.
 
But ridiculous as it may have been, no one spoke up; Kagome stood by holding the hand of a man she did not love as she watched her sister marry the love of her life, while Inuyasha vowed a lifetime of loyalty to a woman who, he knew, could never take the place of another. And Kikyou sighed in relief as she felt that her worries were at long last over with the utterance of two simple words: “I do”.
 
So the wedding ceremony went as perfectly as any bride could have hoped. The tapestry was unraveled at just the right moment to the elicited delight of the audience and the shocked surprise of the newlyweds. The crown was at long last placed upon Kikyou's head and she was crowned High Queen.
 
And as the newly crowned Queen turned with her new husband on her arm to face the audience, who rose to their feet once more in boisterous congratulatory applause, Kikyou's triumph was complete and the Higurashi sister rivalry was finally ended as the older sister was officially recognized as the most powerful woman in the country.