InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The King's Mistress ❯ Happy Ending At Last ( Chapter 37 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Happy Ending At Last
 
 
 
 
Being December and the month of Christmas, the court eventually forgot to be melancholy and was soon looking forward to the many banquets, masques, and other events that would take place to celebrate the holiday season. Life did indeed go on…and I suppose I was not ungrateful for that. I was not so cruel as to wish other people to be constantly in mourning; alone and crying on a whim over silly little things that reminded me of Kikyou, I would often sit in her room and just remember everything from the good to the bad. After all, she had always been a woman who believed in owning up to your mistakes and your faults, so I would not dishonor her by simply pretending the years when we had been estranged had never happened.
 
Still, there were plenty of good memories too, and after a time I found I liked to reminisce while taking long walks in the bare gardens, or even stroll around the lake, which was currently covered in ice and snow. Sometimes I'd take Inuyasha with me, or Sango, or even Miroku or Shippou, but more often than not I liked to go alone, because then I felt closer to her.
 
And so Christmas came and went, as did the new year, and slowly my walks grew shorter as I was drawn back more and more to the goings on of the court, though I still frequently sat off to one side and just listened, rather than participating in every debate, watching others dance because I didn't feel much like dancing myself at the evening dinners.
 
Inuyasha was patient with me, always pushing just a little to see if I was ready and backing off when I made it clear that I was not, no matter what it was he was trying to get me to do. He even tried, for a time, to be a complete gentleman and never argue with me, even willing to concede that I was right several times when I could clearly tell by his expression that he was fighting every bone in his body to say so. But that didn't last long because that was more irritating than his yelling at me to wake up out of my stupor. As I often told him, the snapping and insults I understood and knew how to deal with and ignore as I saw fit…but when he agreed with me I didn't know what to do.
 
Finally, over a month after Kikyou's death, the day came when a genuine smile came to my face for the first time without being followed by either guilt or sadness. It was a day of wonderful news, telling us all that at long last the dark cloud that had been hovering over our lives was preparing to blow away and leave nothing but well-deserved sunshine…
 
* * * * *
It was a beautiful, if not slightly brusque, January afternoon, and Kagome sighed in pleasure after inhaling a deep breath of clean, fresh air that was so cold it scalded her throat and shocked her lungs. She was well dressed for the current climate, with fur-lined boots and several layers of clothes, including a heavy fur cloak that included a hood to protect her sensitive ears, and a fur scarf was wrapped so tightly around her throat she actually felt some sweat beginning to form.
 
Her daily walk had brought her once more to the lake, which was even more frozen than ever that winter, snow settling atop areas that had turned completely to ice, while other places were still more slush. Inuyasha told her that by the end of January the entire lake would be frozen over, and then the court would be able to go ice skating. She liked the idea, for while she'd never been very good at it herself, Kagome was always willing to try anything…and besides, the idea of watching her hanyou balance on a pair of skates was amusing in and of itself, so she couldn't wait to see the real thing.
 
Her grin faltered slightly as she recalled the fact that Kikyou had been a brilliant ice skater, but she immediately shook the thought from her head, refusing to fall into yet another melancholy mood after waking up feeling so happy. She supposed it was an improvement to be feeling happy at all without a trace of guilt, but still, Kagome was growing weary of grieving, for she was not the sort who handled sadness very well. Her heart yearned for laughter, her body straining to join the dancers every night even as she mentally told herself she wasn't yet ready…and so she was almost beginning to feel like a prisoner tied to her grief.
 
“If only you were an easy person to forget this wouldn't be a problem,” she commented wryly to the air, speaking as though Kikyou were walking beside her. She could almost hear her sister's laughter in response, along with some comment about how she would never be easy to forget because she was of course extraordinary.
 
Kagome smiled at that, wishing she had a real person beside her rather than merely a figment of her imagination, but at the same time felt torn, because to move on she had to stop wishing for such things and being so wistful all the time.
 
“At least I'm not crying every day like before,” she muttered, more to herself that time than to an imaginary Kikyou, though again she saw Kikyou in her mind nodding and saying that was indeed an improvement. And Kagome had to admit that she was encouraged somewhat by the fact that she had improved so much since that first day after Kikyou was buried, when she had been unable to leave her chambers, feeling sick and heavy with grief and sorrow, only allowing Inuyasha or her mother to even enter her rooms. Now she spoke freely with everyone once more, though she had to be poked and prodded a little more than before to actual respond, and she even dined with the rest of the court at dinner, instead of taking all her meals alone.
 
But there was one thing she still hesitated to do…one thing that she felt uncomfortable even thinking of.
 
Inuyasha.
 
It was strange, and yet now that they could legally and freely be together, they both felt more uncomfortable than ever. Every time Inuyasha tried to kiss her Kagome pulled away, wondering if it was wrong of her to want his kisses so soon after her sister's death, and each time she felt the urge to go to him she'd hesitate. It broke his heart, she knew, because in his mind while he grieved for Kikyou's death he had already decided, long before she died, that he had moved on from their failed love. But Kagome's guilt stemmed from a deeper problem; that old sense of loyalty to her sister, as though going anywhere near her husband would mean she was betraying and dishonoring Kikyou's memory.
 
After all, what would the court think if they saw their King with the dead Queen's sister barely a month after her death? How would that make Kikyou look?
 
Kagome, normally fearless in every way, had to admit that for once she was terribly afraid. For nearly an entire year her life had been dominated by what the rest of the world thought; she had lived solely for painting a picture perfect reputation for Kikyou in hopes of saving her from a cruel fate, her very life hinging on whether or not the rest of the world viewed her as a `good person'. And now, after having lived that way, the scars would not easily fade, and Kagome feared doing anything that would have negative repercussions.
 
She was terrified, frankly, of what the court would do to her if they decided her love for Inuyasha was sinful since she had loved him even while he was married to her sister. She feared them thinking she was grateful Kikyou was dead so she could claim Inuyasha for herself.
 
And Kagome hated being afraid of a stupid mob, for that is what the court was, not only because of her own pride, but also because she knew Kikyou would be disgusted if she were alive. After all, even as she had looked certain doom in the face, she had stood tall and proud and refused to give in to the pressure of the court; never once admitting that she regretted what she had done. Kagome wished more than ever for that strength and courage.
 
“I love him,” she whispered, “And we aren't doing anything we haven't done before. So why does it suddenly feel so wrong?” Her question was carried away on the wind, unanswered, like many of her questions lately.
 
She grunted. When had she become so philosophical, anyway? Kikyou had always been the deep thinker, not her.
 
In her mind she saw Kikyou standing beside her, her arms crossed and her expression firm. “Do you love him?” She would ask.
 
Kagome shrugged her shoulders. “I just said that I do. That's not the problem.”
 
“Then who cares what the others think? He will protect you from them if it comes to that.”
 
Kagome grunted. “I don't want it to come to that. One Queen on trial for treason is enough.” She felt ridiculous talking to herself, and yet, suddenly things were making a little more sense, as though Kikyou had become her very conscience. Perhaps she was ready to move on if she was finally at a point where she truly desired to finally explore her relationship with Inuyasha.
 
“It won't come to that, since you have nothing to be guilty of. You have no secrets like I did.” Kikyou's voice was clear in her mind, as though she had never been gone. “So go to him.”
 
“But what about your reputation? What about how that will make the court see you?”
 
She could just imagine the way Kikyou would sigh and stick her nose haughtily in the air. “Kagome, who cares about that any more if I'm dead? You've done enough for me. Now go do something for yourself, and leave me to rest in peace. Stop worrying.”
 
Kagome couldn't help but grin at that thought. “I'm always worrying about everything, you know that,” she replied sarcastically, hoping no one was around to hear her converse with nothing but air. But, strangely enough, it was helping, because all of a sudden she felt a little of her old spunk return…the part of her that cared little for the opinion of others…the part of her that had been willing to marry a pauper if that meant she could marry for love. She smiled at the memory. It was the part of her that had left a secure, stable life in the North with a man who worshipped her to instead follow a man who was tied to another.
 
Maybe it was time, after all, for her to finally take back a little of what she had been giving to everyone else for so long, and damn anyone who said she was in the wrong.
 
With that thought, it was as though there was suddenly light pouring in from a million windows, and Kagome threw out her arms and laughed, genuinely laughed, for the first time in over a month. Her cloak fell off her shoulders, leaving her dressed in nothing but her simple blue and white gown…the one Inuyasha had first seen her in all those months ago in the rose garden…but she didn't care. She welcomed the biting cold of the winter afternoon, reminding her that she was still alive enough to be cold at all, and without thinking laughed again.
 
She knew her grief would never completely end, understanding what her mother had meant when she'd said that it would always be with her and that she would never again be the same…but then again, she wasn't sure she wanted to be the same. She rather liked being more reflective and thoughtful, like Kikyou had been. It made her feel closer to her sister, even in death, and that was a comfort she would never let go of.
 
And even as she knew all of this, she also knew that her time of sadness was at last coming to an end. It was strange that she should have such a revolution after so many weeks of sorrow and slow, step-by-step grief. Yet it was true, and seemed perfectly natural for her to suddenly feel that way. She was truly blessed to have lost her sister and still have so much, and she would not waste what she had, most especially the man who she loved and who loved her in return.
 
That was the greatest blessing of all, and the greatest lesson Kikyou could have taught her. Love was precious, and something to be cherished and trusted all the days of one's life. To waste time constantly worrying meant she would only be half alive, and besides…at that point she figured her heart had already been trampled on so much it couldn't possibly break any more if she gave it to Inuyasha completely, without fear.
 
She smirked; and besides all that, there was always either Kouga or Bankotsu to run to if Inuyasha decided he was tired of Higurashi women.
 
With that in mind, Kagome spun around and took off running back towards the castle, completely forgetting about her expensive fur cloak currently sinking further and further into the snow as she lifted her skirts high and ploughed through the powdery white mess that was normally so beautiful but currently a great nuisance to her. Finally, after much panting and heaving and huffing, Kagome reached the door that led into the kitchens and without hesitation flew through the incredibly hot room which smelled of fresh bread and pastries, not even bothering to reply to the greetings of the many cooks as she passed by.
 
The familiar stone corridors greeted her, and she didn't even hesitate as she flew up one of the back spiral staircases that she knew would lead right to the hallway of Inuyasha's study. Without bothering to knock she unceremoniously threw open one of the mahogany doors, watching as Inuyasha, startled, jumped out of the chair at his desk and sent several papers flying in all directions.
 
“Kagome, what in God's name are you…” But he didn't get a chance to finish his sentence, because before he could move even an inch Kagome barreled straight into him and planted her lips over his in a firm kiss that left both of them dizzy and seeing stars.
 
When she finally stepped away slightly to take a deep breath, Kagome smiled and touched his cheek, noting his wide eyes and burning cheeks. “I love you, Inuyasha!” She proclaimed, as though it were the first time she'd ever said it, and he narrowed his gaze to look at her as though she had gone mad.
 
“Kagome, are you feeling alright?” It was a legitimate question, considering the fact that he'd been forced to get used to a woman who was much less perky and cheerful for the past several weeks while Kagome had moved through the grief process. He'd grown used to it, though her constant rejection of him had repeatedly left him stung and hurt, but now…now he just didn't know what to think.
 
She laughed, and the sound took him off guard, reminding him of moments that had occurred months ago when she hadn't carried nearly the pain or the stress or the worry that she did now. “Of course I'm alright, Inuyasha. Frankly, I've never felt better.”
 
He still eyed her suspiciously. “Is that so?”
 
She nodded. “I realized that I needed to stop being so afraid of what others would think of me if I openly showed my love for you, because to keep avoiding you would be wasting the precious gift that Kikyou gave to both of us.”
 
“Oh?” He was still feeling very confused, though some of her words were beginning to sink in, and Inuyasha was hardly daring to hope that maybe…just maybe…his Kagome was returning to him at last.
 
She nodded again, her eyes sparkling with love…an emotion that still sent him reeling, the shock that such a woman as she loved him still as real as ever. He didn't think he'd ever get used to it, but then again, if that meant he'd always feel awed and overjoyed, he wasn't sure he wanted to.
 
“I love you, Inuyasha,” she stated simply but firmly, her voice without hesitation, and the hanyou felt his body quiver at the strength of her emotions, knowing they were all for him.
 
He ran a hand gently through her hair and felt his lips curve up into a genuine smile as he used his other hand to trace her cheek. “And I love you. It's been…” He wanted to say it had been terrible to watch her pull away from him over the past month, knowing why she was doing it, but also feeling frustrated because he felt it was a pointless endeavor. But he decided to keep those thoughts to himself, for once thinking before he spoke so he didn't ruin the tender moment.
 
“What were you going to say?” Kagome asked, her voice still partially laughing as she lifted a hand and touched his face.
 
He just smiled and shook his head, putting a hand under her chin. “Nothing that matters any more.” And as he lowered his head and kissed her, he knew it was the truth. All that mattered any more was what lay before them, and the rest needed to just stay in the past, never forgotten, but still put behind them.
 
Just as he began to wrap his arms around her waist and pull her close, his body on fire, Shippou came bounding into the room. “Your Majesty, I have something for…whoa!” The kitsune turned beet red from head to toe, and Kagome couldn't resist the laugh as she pulled away from Inuyasha and saw him.
 
“It's alright Shippou, no harm done,” she commented casually, still feeling rather giddy, reveling in the feeling after so many weeks of grief and sorrow. She heard Inuyasha grumble beside her something about horrible timing, but she ignored him and walked over. “You said you had something for Inuyasha?”
 
Shippou still looked very uncomfortable and seemed keenly aware of the fact that Inuyasha was sending him a look of death, but bravely lifted his chin in the air and nodded his head. “I have something, but it's actually for you, Kagome.”
 
“For me?”
 
He nodded his head again, seeming to relax, already forgetting his embarrassment, as most children were wont to do. Kagome wished she had such a short memory…it would certainly make life a lot easier. “Yes, it's a letter from Kouga…I mean, His Majesty the Northern King.”
 
“Kouga?” Kagome suddenly felt her mood sour slightly, the giddy feeling gone to be instantly replaced by trepidation. She had completely forgotten about the fact that her former betrothed had never actually responded to her letter, and had never said that he agreed to cancel their wedding. In the eyes of God, she was still supposed to marry him.
 
A sudden fear came into her heart, and Kagome wondered momentarily if God would be so cruel as to offer her everything she'd ever wanted, only to take it away from her once more.
 
“Where is the letter, Shippou?” She asked, her voice suddenly quiet, and she felt, rather than saw, Inuyasha come to her side and offer his support as the little kitsune reached into his coat pocket and pulled forth a rather thick letter that carried the seal of the north.
 
“Here it is!” He proclaimed, obviously pleased with the fact that he was the one to deliver it, but for once Kagome didn't respond to his adorable smiling face, instead simply taking the letter and moving away to read it alone. As she broke the seal and unfolded the paper she jumped back slightly as several pieces of parchment fell to the floor, clearly having been ripped and torn. Curious, she quickly set about reading Kouga's rather sloppy handwriting.
 
To Kagome Higurashi
From His Majesty, King Kouga
Dated January 6
 
Dearest Kagome,
I send my apologies for having taken so long to respond to your letter. I recognize that you have had much on your mind besides me, and would not be surprised if you forgot entirely about our supposed engagement in the wake of your sister's trial, but still I am sorry for neglecting you for so long. It was wrong of me, and I admit I allowed petty jealousy and heartbreak to get in the way of my better judgement.
 
But before I get too far into all of that, I would first like to extend my most sincere condolences regarding the recent death of your sister. I know I never led you to believe I had any sort of fond feelings where she was concerned, but I do have plenty for you, and for your sake I am sorry that she met such an end. I know how much you loved her, and also know how hard you worked to save her. No one could have been so unselfish as you, or done more than you did; I hope you realize that, though knowing your personality you no doubt still feel responsible for her death. I hope your friends have, by now, convinced you that such feelings are not necessary.
 
And now for the part of this letter that I have not wanted to write, and tried to put off, for as long as possible…but unfortunately would not, and could not, be ignored.
 
To be frank, Kagome, you have left me a brokenhearted man. I know you appreciate honesty, so I hope you can understand I tell you this only out of my utmost respect for you. I'll admit that my first instinct upon finding your letter was to ride out and force you to return with me and become my wife as you had promised. I knew you would agree, because you are a woman who believes in duty and propriety, but I also knew you would resent me for the rest of your life, and that thought alone was enough to cause me to turn around and ride back home (yes, I even went so far as to call for my horse and ride halfway to the High Court).
 
And, so long as I am being honest, I always knew you carried a certain affection for the King. I could see it in your eyes and the way you acted around him. Still, I suppose I foolishly hoped I could be enough for you to be happy, and I was gladly prepared to be second best in your heart, if it meant having you at all. But I suppose it was not meant to be, and I can admit when I am defeated.
 
Thus, you will find I have torn up the betrothal papers you signed and sent them back to you to do with as you will. I have no need for them, since they only cause me pain, but I thought perhaps you would like to have them to keep or to burn or to…well…I honestly don't know what you would do with them. I confess it was difficult enough for me to tear the papers, and now I give the responsibility of destroying them completely to you since I don't think I could do it now or ever.
 
The fact remains that I love you, Kagome, and I always will. You are the woman for me, I firmly believe, and I will go on believing that until the day I die. But I also recognize that while I may feel that way about you, that does not require you to feel the same way about me, and I accept the fact that you love another (though I admit I wish it was anyone but Inuyasha). He always has been a lucky fool (and he truly is a fool, I hope you realize that), first receiving the crown and now receiving you without even trying to win your heart. I admit that I envy him…but don't tell him that. The last thing he needs is an even bigger ego.
 
Still, despite the fact that you will no doubt marry him and be his wife, I would like to remain your friend, for any relationship with you is better than nothing. I don't think my heart could handle it if you were to suddenly tell me you wanted nothing to do with me ever again. So instead of forcing you back with me to be my wife, I am settling for a compromise, and hoping you can, in time, be my friend as well if I am not so repulsive that the idea is unwanted by you.
 
I can't promise that I will immediately be willing to come to your aide if you need me, and I also can't promise I will be able to ever tolerate that mutt of a man being your husband…but I will try, for your sake. Please tell me that is enough for you to allow me to be your friend…that is all I ask. I put my heart, as ever, in your hands, and wait for your response.
With Much Love,
Kouga
 
Kagome hardly knew what to say as she finished reading the letter and allowed her arms to drop to her sides. The pieces of the betrothal papers were scattered all about her feet, and yet she could hardly believe that to be true. After living for so long weaving in and out of tangled webs of deceit and responsibility and promises and duty, Kagome was, at long last, free to do with her life as she pleased. She was no longer bound to anyone, and Inuyasha, through a tragic twist of fate, wasn't either.
 
The thought was staggering, and Kagome found she had to sit down and allow it all to sink in. But once it did, she couldn't stop the stupid grin from spreading across her face, and after a few minutes she was even able to reread the letter and giggle at some of the overly-dramatic words Kouga chose to use, ever the romantic at heart.
 
Inuyasha and Shippou both watched her carefully, the hanyou visibly relaxing when he saw Kagome start to laugh, knowing that could only mean good news. But even so… “Well, what did the wolf have to say?”
 
Kagome glanced over at Inuyasha with joyful eyes. Still, as she spoke she managed to sober her tone somewhat. “He says that, um, I am free of my betrothal to him, and even sends to me the torn remnants of the papers I signed. He also says that while he certainly grieves, and that I broke his heart, he understands that I do not love him, and is willing to let me go if only for my happiness.”
 
She watched as Inuyasha took the news to heart, his face a blank mask, before he finally just grunted and shrugged his shoulders. “Keh…so the idiot has a brain after all, eh? I'd say that's the most intelligent thing he's ever said.”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes, thinking about the fact that while Inuyasha called Kouga an idiot, the wolf King responded by calling the hanyou a fool and a ridiculous mutt. She supposed they would just both always be hopeless, and there was nothing to be done about it.
 
“Well, the idiot you speak of also hopes we can still be friends, and I heartily share his desire to remain so. As such, I of course assume you will have no problem with me sending him an invitation to join us at court for the Summer Progress this next year.”
 
“What?” Inuyasha leapt to his feet. “Invite that stupid, wimpy wolf to my court for an entire summer so he can woo you and convince you to be his woman? I don't think so!”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes. “Inuyasha, if he was going to woo me, as you say, he would have done it already, and just for the record I am nobody's woman, so if you think you can start calling me that you've got another thing coming.”
 
The hanyou opened his mouth to reply, but nothing came out, so he finally just grunted and turned away. “Still, I don't want him coming here for the summer. You never know what might spark while you two are together. You were engaged after all for over nine months…you may suddenly develop feelings for him.”
 
Kagome sent Inuyasha a harsh glare. “Do you think me so shallow that I would leave one man for another, only to change my mind again at the first opportunity?”
 
Inuyasha glared back. “Well, I don't know. Would you do that? You women can be weird sometimes, and change your minds a lot.”
 
“I can't believe this!” She shot to her feet and walked up so she was practically nose to nose with him. “I put myself through hell to come back to you! I was willing to give up my chance of a normal, happy marriage all for…”
 
“So you admit it would have been a happy marriage with him?”
 
“I…that's not the point!”
 
“But is that what you meant?”
 
“You're so immature!”
 
“And you're avoiding the question!”
 
“I'm not avoiding anything you idiot…I'm just not going to lower myself enough to answer that ridiculous question.”
 
“I take it that means you concede it would have been a happy marriage, had you stayed in the North.”
 
“Why you…” Kagome launched herself at Inuyasha, clawing at his throat, just as Miroku and Sango walked through the door, and the couple didn't even seem phased by what they saw.
 
“So I see you two haven't changed, despite everything that's happened,” Sango commented wryly.
 
Miroku nodded his head wisely. “But at least we now know Kagome will recover and be alright…after all, if she has the strength to fight with Inuyasha, she can do anything. But on that note,” he glanced at Shippou, “What are they fighting about?”
 
“Inuyasha's afraid Kagome will leave him for Kouga.”
 
“And why would he think that?”
 
The kitsune puffed out his chest, clearly thinking himself very important since he had all the answers. “Kouga wrote Kagome a letter saying she was freed from her promise to marry him, and even sent the betrothal papers all torn up inside the letter itself, and now Inuyasha is saying she's going to return to him after all.”
 
“But why would he think that?”
 
Shippou shrugged. “Because Kagome says she still wants to be Kouga's friend, and plans to invite him to court for the Summer Progress.”
 
“Oh, I see.” Miroku walked forward and took Inuyasha by the arm and pulled him away from Kagome just as Sango pulled her friend away at the same time, sending them to opposite ends of the room to stew over their argument like two year old children. “Well as interesting as that little argument of yours was to watch,” he finally said, “It may interest you to know that Sango and I have an important announcement to make.”
 
“Keh, and what's that?” Inuyasha asked, trying not to act interested even as he watched them curiously.
 
“Miroku and I are betrothed!” Sango exclaimed in an uncharacteristic show of happiness as she threw her arms around his neck.
 
Kagome gasped and immediately forgot to be angry as she stepped forward and threw her arms around the pair. “Oh Sango, that's wonderful!” She leaned back. “And to think you said you'd never marry him because he was a pervert who could never be happy with just one woman.”
 
Sango had the grace to blush even as she sent a warning look towards Miroku. “Yes, well…” She coughed. “I agreed to marry him only after he agreed to never touch another woman again.”
 
Miroku sighed. “A difficult sacrifice to be sure, but Sango is worth it.”
 
Both women whacked him on the shoulder for that statement.
 
“Well it's about time the two of you figured out you were meant to be together,” Inuyasha commented as he stepped away from his corner, his face blank as ever, though Kagome didn't miss the twinkle in his eye. “It was getting annoying how blind you both were, and how stubborn you could be even when the reality was right before you and plain to see.”
 
Miroku and Sango both raised their eyes and sent Inuyasha a sarcastic smile. “My friend, if anyone has no right to talk about being dense and blind, it's you,” Miroku commented.
 
“And what's that supposed to mean?” Inuyasha snapped back, blushing furiously and refusing to look at Kagome.
 
“Only that Kagome had to basically throw herself at you before you realized how you felt about her,” Sango replied for her fiance.
 
It was Kagome's turn to blush. “I beg your pardon, but I did not throw myself at anyone, thank you very much.”
 
“Who cares,” Shippou interjected just before all four of the friends started arguing, and they all looked at him in surprise. He just shrugged his shoulders. “Really you guys, who cares how you all got to this point anyway? The point now is that Miroku and Sango are finally engaged, so now all that has to happen is for Inuyasha to propose to Kagome, and then everything will be perfect!”
 
“Shippou!” Kagome gasped, blushing, and looked away, Inuyasha doing the same. Their friends just laughed, and the atmosphere in the room immediately relaxed as Sango grabbed Kagome and pulled her off by the window to talk about her wedding plans.
 
Feeling eyes upon her, Kagome turned and glanced over at Inuyasha to find him staring at her with a gleam of mischief in his amber gaze. She smiled at him and his cheeks colored slightly, but he didn't look away, and Kagome could see very clearly what he was thinking at that moment: who knows what can happen when every door is suddenly thrown open and the future becomes a blank slate?
 
It was a strange feeling to have her future suddenly completely under her control. She'd come to expect that she would have to marry who she was told, and try to love who she was told, and watch her sister take all the glory. She had suffered through heartache and incredible loss while also knowing the greatest joy any woman could ever know by loving and being loved in return. She had lost her sister and gained the love of her life. She had been hated by the court and loved by three Kings. She had made mistakes and known her share of triumphs. And in the end, after an arranged engagement and an earth-shattering affair with a King, Kagome had finally earned the right to choose her own destiny. And with God as her witness, she would never let that go to waste.
 
 
 
693