InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Price of Freedom ❯ Sight Seeing ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I don't own much else than my very own wacky ideas - which you can't steal! But I only borrow the characters from Inuyasha - they've already sold their souls and the acting careers to Rumiko Takahashi.

(A/N: Wow... over 200 reviews... I think I'll go faint now - actually - better not! I still have to write this chapter ^_^)







The Price of Freedom

Sight Seeing











Kagome found Inuyasha sitting on the porch the next morning, holding a hand up to shield his eyes from the intense sun. she reckoned that he was just trying to look cool.

"Sun hurting your eyes again?" she guessed.

He started at the sound of her voice that came unexpected. "Uh... yeah..." he removed his hand but it was no use... he could still see it...

Kagome frowned as Inuyasha squinted up at the sky. "You ok?"

"I'm fine. Can I have a sandwich please?" he asked quickly.

Feeling as if she were being told to go do her homework by her mother when her parents wanted to 'talk', she frowned some more and headed off inside.

Inuyasha busily waved a hand in front of his eyes as he peered upwards, and noted the definite break in the light before him. Before all he'd been able to see was black... but now... when he was out in the sun, that black lightened several shades to grey. He didn't quite understand, but it felt like his mind was playing tricks on him again.

Kagome came back with his food and smiled as she sat down next to him. He turned to face her and started when he saw a black smudged shadow of something against all the grey. "I got your sandwich... it's chicken... that ok?"

"Yeah..."

"You seem quiet this morning." She cocked her head. "I heard you up all of last night. Couldn't sleep?"

He'd been staring at the ceiling from his bed... staring at the three specks of light grey he'd seen above his head. "Kagome... how many bulbs do I have in the light in my room?"

"In MY room, I think you mean." She corrected him. "Four."

"I think one's gone out then." He said simply and she gave him a suspicious look.

"Ok, Mr Bimble, I'm going to take a shower and I think you should take a nap, ok?" she said slowly and went back inside.

Of course she got side-tracked and ended up pottering around the house for almost an hour before actually going in the bathroom, and by then, Inuyasha was seriously beginning to question his mental health. Slowly things were beginning to take form around him. And from a point when he could only see shadow forms, twenty minutes later he could vaguely see different tones of grey and sometimes detail. It was all getting a little strange... everything was in black and white... and still on the dark side of the scale... but he could actually see things vaguely.

He walked through the kitchen, aiming for the hall, but stumbled over something underfoot. He looked down and saw a black blob on the ground. He crouched down to get a closer look and slowly picked it up, turning it over in his hands. It was a book... a big heavy black one... and he could actually see the difference in the cover and the pages within it.

He dropped it hurriedly and decided that there must be something in his eyes - so he went to go wash it out and barged into the bathroom, forgetting that Kagome was STILL in there.

"Ah! Inuyasha!" Kagome froze, halfway reaching for her towel as she got out the bath. "Ever heard of knocking?"

Inuyasha could only stare helplessly. Kagome was stood completely naked before him and acting as if it were the most natural thing in the world. Granted, he couldn't really see much detail... but he could see the basic shape, and suddenly the steam in the bathroom became that much hotter. "Damn it's a good thing you're blind." She mumbled, finally wrapping a towel around herself - making Inuyasha remember to divert his gaze elsewhere.

"Sorry..." he muttered quickly.

"It's all right - I should have locked the door." She smiled placidly and brushed past him on her way out.

Once she was gone Inuyasha fanned his extremely hot face and went to the sink. He splashed cold water over his eyes and rubbed furiously, as if trying to clean the dirt off them. But when he looked back up into the mirror he found himself facing a grey blob, with a big white blob of hair around it - his face. No detail... just smudges of grey.





^_^





His eyes were playing tricks on him. He was sure. But then how had he known that Kagome had just stolen one of his biscuits.

They were sitting on the sofa, huddled together with a plate of biscuits and one of those horror movies playing on the TV - one that Kagome was having to explain to Inuyasha every few minutes. It spoiled the mood, but there you go.

The air conditioning wasn't the only thing that had broken - but the central heating, which was connected to it, had also gone bust. And although it had been hot during the day - it could get very cold at night and ever since Inuyasha had inadvertently broken the front door, it could get very draughty in the house.

"Inuyasha... your elbow is in my ribs." She complained while trying to discreetly grab one of his precious biscuits for later - he could get very possessive about them.

"Well it's your fault for having your ribs there." He grumbled as he moved his arm slightly. He was certain he's seen the grey shadow of her arm snake over silently to his plate. "Enjoying your biscuit?"

She stiffened. "Sorry... it's just that... I like them too... and you never let me have one..." she apologised.

"Give it back!"

She licked it quickly. "No." and grinned at him.

That didn't seem to bother Inuyasha much because he snatched it back and stuffed it in his mouth, looking smug. Kagome gaped at him for a moment before grabbing for another cookie. Inuyasha quickly picked it up and held it aloft and out of her reach.

"That's so not fair!" she scrambled onto her knees on the sofa to reach for the plate but he only leaned back and held the plate far over the arm rest. She was yet to be defeated and leaned with him, blatantly unaware of the fact that she had to press against his chest to do so.

But Inuyasha was definitely aware. And at this proximity he was sure he could see what could be her nose.

"Kagome..."

"Inuyasha - give me a cookie!" she giggled as he remained to hold them out of her reach.

"Kiss me properly."

She froze at his statement and suddenly shied away to the other end of the sofa, her cheeks heating up like hotplates. "W-what?"

"You said you'd show me properly when we weren't in public." He gestured around them. "This isn't public."

She had been really hoping that he'd have forgotten. "I was just joking."

"It sounded serious to me." He pouted, folding his arms broodily.

Kagome was at a loss. "But... but I've never actually kissed anyone before..."

"You kissed me before."

"But not properly - and it wasn't like it was serious - proper kissing IS serious." She wrung her hands. "It's not something you can just do because you feel like it... well... it is... but that's not the point!"

"You're still making excuses." And he knew the perfect way to make her feel guilty. "It's because I'm blind isn't it? You don't want to be with a cripple."

"Inuyasha! You know that's not true!" she snapped angrily. "I would never think that!"

"Then prove it." He smirked lazily at her. "Or are you chicken?"

"I'm very much chicken." She turned away from him and he took the brief opportunity to focus on her face, noticing that the details were slowly creeping more into proportion.

"Then I have no choice but the believe you are racist... no... sexist... um... I can't remember the word."

"I'm NOT prejudice!" she exclaimed indignantly.

"I never said you were PREJUDICE!" he said truthfully.

Kagome was reaching the end of her tether. "Ok... but if I do this... you have to... stop bugging me about it, ok?"

"Ok." He nodded.

Kagome inched up the sofa towards him, feeling like her insides were on high vibrate like her mobile phone. She edged a little closer before she was sitting right next to him and watching his face intently. "Ok... and now we kiss properly." She leaned in... and pecked him on the cheek.

He gave her a flat look with actually looking at her. "Proper kiss, my ass."

"No thanks. I'd much rather proper kiss your cheek." She quipped before trying to shuffle away again.

Inuyasha stopped her effectively with his arm around her waist and sighed. "Am I really that ugly?"

Everything inside her screamed 'WHY THE HELL WOULD HE THINK THAT?' Had he never seen a mirror? "You're not... ugly."

"Don't force yourself."

"I wouldn't have to force myself to kiss you... it's just that..." she fiddled with the hem of her sleeves. "I've never done it before... I'm more likely to get it wrong than you."

"Then let's try it together." He prodded. "What's the worst that could happen.

Well... the roof could fall in... the sofa could collapse... her mother might come charging through the door at that precise blessed moment - or even worse - the bad people from Inuyasha's institute. All those answers were on the tip of her tongue, but she'd suddenly been struck silent as she could have sworn Inuyasha's gaze locked with hers for the very first time.

It had to have been a fluke... but what did it matter... she couldn't bring herself to turn away. And it was like a magnetic pull for both of them as they leaned closer to one another as if they were being pulled by together by strings. Kagome's lips met Inuyasha's softly and tenderly... much more purposefully than the last time she'd tried it... and both their eyes drifted shut.

For a few moments they just remained like that, just kissing chastely, until Inuyasha tilted his head slightly, as if he'd been doing it for years, and pressed against her lips even deeper. Kagome simply gave under the firm pressure instantly and her mouth slipped open slightly, practically inviting his tongue in.

But instead it turned out to be Kagome who took the dominant hand in the kiss, running her hands to lodge in his hair to pull him closer. Inuyasha was a little stunned for a moment to respond before his hands finally rose to rest on her shoulders and slipped his own tongue against hers in response.

Almost at once an electric like thrill shot through Kagome's arms to the pit of her stomach and beyond. It felt way too good to be decent and even though she wanted nothing more than to continue, but it was starting to get a little intense as the kiss took on a more passionate and aggressive fashion and even though she wasn't being overwhelmed by him, she knew she had to stop.

"That's enough." She pushed against his chest, making him pull back reluctantly. She sat back, panting, and pressing a delicate little hand to her heart to steady it. "So THAT'S a proper kiss... what do you think?"

"Mm... it's ok." He said with a shrug.

Kagome's eyes flashed on him dangerously. "Just 'ok'? How about brilliant! How about window shatteringly and earth movingly brilliant?" It had felt that way for her.

"My, someone has a high opinion of herself." He grinned boyishly at her and tugged her against his side with his arm around her waist. "You were great. It was better than I thought."

She'd settle for that... grudgingly.

"So what did we miss?" he turned his attention back to the TV set.

"Um... oh... the killer seems to have been resurrected - and that girl screaming is-"

"Connie?"

"Yep."





^_^





Inuyasha woke slowly the next morning, and winced at the awkward position he was in on the sofa. Kagome was still in the same position, sitting beside him, half draped across his chest with her head on his shoulder.

But that didn't really bother him much because something much more pressing was happening. He could see. Everything and anything. Even in colour... it still looked a little grey around the edges, but it was all, nearly as it should have been.

Immediately he looked down at Kagome, eager to see what she looked like. And boy did she look rough in the morning. But even that didn't lessen her overall appearance. She had perfect skin... completely flawless like she'd never seen a pimple in her life and the silkiest black hair that he'd ever seen with an almost electric blue tinge to it. Her two perfect full lips were parted slightly in sleep and long lashes cloaked her eyes.

Heck... if she was plain then what was he supposed to consider a pure vision of beauty? Because he thought the vision of beauty was sleeping on his shoulder at that precise moment.

He took a moment to turn his head to look around the room and frowned. The walls were painted lavender purple... and he'd always thought they'd been white. But then again... white walls were all he'd ever seen.

Then he saw the window and he suddenly scrambled off the sofa in a hurry to reach it. Kagome woke with a snort and took a few moments to rouse herself, after snuggling down slightly to the warm spot where Inuyasha had been.

But Inuyasha was busy looking outside. He could see daylight... he could actually see the sun and everything beneath it. It was like a totally different reality. He turned back to look at Kagome who was slowly beginning to sit up on the sofa with a wide yawn. She looked adorable in his eyes... and so damn small compared to the other men he'd ever seen.

"Mornin'." She said as she vaguely spotted him across the room. "S'time?"

"I don't know." He answered, much more alert and awake than she was.

Suddenly the thought struck him that this would change everything. His relationship with Kagome was one... and the other was now that he could see, he would have to leave her... for good... and keep running from his past.

So the moment her morning fuzzed-up eyes focused more clearly on him, he half-closed his eyes and stared into space like he normally would have done. He didn't want things to change.

"I bet my hairs a mess," she said with a smile and pushed herself up off the sofa to stand. "Better go get washed up then..."

"I'll go make myself a drink." He said, still half in a state of shock.

"You do that... but don't go dropping anything, ok?"

He wouldn't drop or trip over anything again in his LIFE now.





^_^





"You know, you're acting awfully strange today. Is there something wrong?"

After feeling like he's been living in a small dark room for three weeks, he felt terribly agoraphobic all of a sudden. "I'm fine. You?"

"I'm fine, Inuyasha." She frowned at him, and he saw how it delicately created little furrows between her eyebrows, making her look more concerned than angry.

She picked up her plate that she'd been eating off for supper and moved off into the kitchen. Inuyasha watched her go intently, not being able to take enough of her in. Then... just as she reached the kitchen sink and began to wash up... a little red dot appeared from nowhere and zipped to hover to the side of Kagome's head.

Inuyasha had seen that little red dot too many times to not know what it was. "KAGOME! DUCK!"

"What?" she looked up with alarm but was knocked flying by Inuyasha before she could say much else.

Suddenly a seriously of thundering bangs cracked through the air and the glass from the kitchen window shattered and covered both their bodies with tiny little fragments. Kagome screamed and ducked down further under Inuyasha as the machine gun sound continued and holes started to line up along the opposite wall from the window.

Eventually it finally stopped and Kagome gaped at Inuyasha as his eyes snapped to hers and she realised what was happening. "You can see..."

There wasn't much time to answer as they both heard a crunch of wood as the already half broken door was forced open. Inuyasha realised at once that they'd finally found him and grabbed Kagome before tossing her over his shoulder. She held onto her petrified squeak as he shot through the house and straight towards the French glass doors of the living room. "No! Inuyasha! NO!"

But he ignored her and plunged straight through them, shattering the glass around them. It took him a few moments to regain his balance after a stunt like that before plunging on through the darkness. He heard shouts behind him as the military folk saw them making their escape.

"They're gaining on us!" Kagome screamed.

And they were straight ahead, as well, blocking off their escape into the forest completely - so the only other way was over the cliff. He changed his trajectory immediately and Kagome gripped him more tightly as he sped up and lunged off the top off the cliff and started to fall. She just waited for the horrid impact of crushing bones on jagged rocks... yet amazingly it never came. There was a slightly heavy impact of a thud on the sand and Inuyasha momentarily teetered precariously, probably unused to her added weight before he was off again.

Kagome couldn't believe that they were actually getting away so easily - there was no one following them at all. But Inuyasha knew better and he could see the shadow flitting along the top of the cliff, matching his pace, if not pulling ahead a little. Any moment now and he'd be cut off completely from his escape.

And the moment Kouga landed effortlessly before him he was forced into a skidding halt. He dropped Kagome rather suddenly and shoved her behind him protectively.

"You won't get away again, Inu." Kouga said coldly. He was without any kind of firearm, but he didn't need them to stop Inuyasha.

"You can't stop me... you'll have to kill."

"Cut that noble crap, I know you don't mean it." Kouga hissed.

"If you send me back then you are only imprisoning yourself." Inuyasha lunged at him angrily and swiped with his claws. Kagome squeaked as she dove out of the way as Kouga slid under the outstretched arm with amazing speed. "You only stop me because you can't escape yourself!"

"If I can't go then you can't either!"

"I can and I will!" Inuyasha snarled and was about to lunge before Kagome yelled them to a stop.

"Quit it!" she screamed and threw herself between the two of them, effectively stopping them in their tracks. She turned to Kouga. "Let him go... please, Kouga..."

"Don't plead for me, Kagome-"

"Shut up!" she whirled on Inuyasha, angry at him for some unknown reason. She turned back to Kouga with a softer tone. "I know all about who you are Kouga... if you let Inuyasha go... then you can escape too?"

"I can't ever escape." Kouga hissed venomously. "A so called 'improvement'."

"What?" Kagome was just confused.

"He has to obey the leader's command no matter what. He can only leave when they give him permission. And he had to return if they tell him too." Inuyasha replied spitefully. "Just a fucking lapdog to them!"

"And you're a fucking mongrel!"

"Stop it!" Kagome waved her arms again to cut them both off. "Kouga you can't turn Inuyasha in... please... don't stop him... if you can't be free than at least let him be free...?"

Kouga glanced at her, his eyes furious. "Fine... but next time we meet I might not let you off, Inu."

"Like I'd need you to." Inuyasha retorted, while Kagome shot him a warning glare.

"You won't tell them?" she called after Kouga as he jogged away.

"Not unless they ask." He called over his shoulder.

They both waited until he was gone completely from sight before trusting enough to turn back to each other. "That was a-"

"Inuyasha - you've been lying to me!" she hissed, interrupting him in a livid temper.

"What?"

"You've been leading me to believe that you were blind! But you could see all along!" she was close to tears. She'd really trusted him not to lie to her.

"Well... not all along!"

"So you admit you lied?!"

"Not all the time!" he protested in defence.

"How can I believe you?!" she frowned and drew away from him. "All those times that I thought it was private for me... in the bathroom - when you walked in - you could see me, couldn't you?!"

"Well...

"Couldn't you?!"

"Yes." He said flatly. Like being scolded by a mother. But then memory served him right for once and his anger sparked a little. "And what about you?! You lied to me as well!"

"When?"

"When you said you were plain - you lied about that."

"That's hardly something to get mad about!"

"And neither is being blind - aren't you happy I can see again?!" he scowled at her.

"I'm ecstatic! But you still lied!" she snapped.

"Do you know why?!" he snarled. "Because every minute of every day while I was blind I sometimes swore that I could see things - but it was always just my mind playing up on me - making me think I saw things when there really was nothing! And when I started to see again I thought it was just another trick!"

"And instead of telling me you led me to believe that you were still blind and needed me?!" she huffed. "You could have left by now and then those people would never have attacked the house and almost shot me with a machine gun!"

"You wanted me to leave?" he was genuinely hurt, but he tried to keep it schooled away.

"At least I would be safer!" she admitted harshly.

Almost at once that same emotional barrier he'd been using for most of his life slammed back into place, locked down and padlocked all over again. "Fine! If that's the way you want it then I'll go! You'll never have to see me again! Happy?"

He started to storm away, and Kagome was left momentarily speechless. She was about to yell 'wait' when her stupid pride got the better of her. "Fine! I never want to see you again you lying toe-rag!"

"I'm scorned, bitch!" he snarled back.

"Go to hell!"

"Been there - I'm not going back!" he yelled. "Don't expect me to ever see you again!"

"I won't!"

"Don't wait up for me!"

"I shan't!"

"Goodbye Kagome!"

"Piss off!"

He eventually disappeared from sight around the edge of a cliff face and she stood strong for a while, glaring after him with a passion. Until it all crumpled in on itself as she collapsed onto the sand, and began to sob her heart out.

She hadn't meant it... she'd just been frightened and angry that he'd just lied to her... she didn't want him gone forever.

"What're you crying for?!" Inuyasha yelled from above her, up the cliff.

"Oh shove off and go screw a squirrel!" she yelled back at once.

"Bitch!"

And that was it. He was gone, and she didn't see him again.







(A/N: Next chapter - 'Needing Help' ^_^)