InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Truth Behind the Book ❯ Dreams & Sad Feelings ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I DO NOT own InuYasha, never have, never will.

Review of last chapter: Kagome found out the author of Feudal Japan: Fact or Fiction, Mirke Jogaju, is Miroku's great-great-great-great-great-great- great-great grandson. This meant that what the book said is true. Kagome returns home and goes to sleep. InuYasha watches her and then goes back through the well and says he will return tomorrow to bring Kagome back to the Feudal Era with him. And so our story continues.

Note: Just in case someone doesn't know; ".." means talking '..' means thinking

Here's the long awaited Chapter 3!!!!!!!

The Truth Behind the Book Chapter 3: Dreams and Sad Feelings

Kagome opened her eyes and realized it was now morning, meaning she had to get up. She sat up, threw her covers off, and brought her legs around so they hung off the bed. She let out a soft yawn and then lifted her arms up and stretched. As she brought her arms back down she stole a glance at her clock. It read 9:30 am.

"It's a good thing I'm returning the Feudal Era today, otherwise I would be really late for school," Kagome said to herself as she stood up and exited her room.

She walked down the stairs and opened the door to the kitchen so she could get some food. She let out a scream and fell back on the floor with her eyes wide open.

"Inu.. InuYasha?!?!"

InuYasha sat there playing with Buyo.

"Yo!"

"Wha.. What are you doing here?" Kagome asked regaining her composure.

"Stupid, I'm here to take you back with me. We have shards to get," InuYasha said as he let Buyo go and stood up.

Kagome should have been mad at him, but just looking at him brought back the words from the book.

..her hanyou companion died from a fatal injury that he received while protecting her in the battle

All Kagome could see was him lying on the ground covered in his own blood. She shook her head to make the image go away, but it wouldn't so she just hung her head down as she talked to InuYasha.

"Just let me take a shower and pack and then we can go. Ok InuYasha?" Kagome affirmed as she kept her head hung.

InuYasha looked at her closely. Something was wrong and he could tell, but decided not to push her.

"Feh, just hurry up," InuYasha said as he turned around and stuck his nose up in the air.

Kagome put on a fake smile and looked up, her eyes closed.

"I won't take too long I promise," Kagome said as she stood up and returned to her room.

InuYasha watched her go. Something was defiantly wrong with her, but what? A few minutes later he heard the water turn on in the shower. He decided to go up to her room. Leaping up the stairs he entered her room, wanting to be done before she got out of the shower. He looked all around, but didn't find anything. Of course it would have helped if he knew how to read because there were a lot of books lying all around the room. He heard the water turn off so he quickly exited the room and returned downstairs. Finding the cat he began playing with it again. He heard the bathroom door open and then Kagome's door closed. A couple minutes later she returned downstairs with the big yellow backpack on her back.

"All we need to do is pack some food," Kagome said as she set the bag down and went to the pantry and grabbed as much food as she could carry and stuffed it all into the bag. She closed it and was about to put it on her back when InuYasha grabbed it.

"I'll take it. You'll be no use to me if you throw your back out," InuYasha said as he easily threw the backpack over his shoulder, "Come on lets go."

"Ok," Kagome answered.

Kagome wrote a quick note to her mom and then they left.

Feudal Japan

"Where's Kagome? InuYasha was supposed to bring her back yesterday!" Shippo whined.

He was sitting right by the well waiting impatiently.

"Geez Kagome, can you pack anymore?"

Shippo was up and peering over the edge of the well before you could say "Hello". InuYasha picked Kagome up and jumped out of the well and landed onto the ground near the well.

"KAGOME!!!" Shippo yelled as he jumped into Kagome's arms.

"Hi Shippo. Were you good while I was gone?" Kagome asked the little fox and she gave him a hug.

"Yes! Oh, I almost forgot to tell you Sango, Miroku, and Kaede have something they need to talk to you two about. I think it's about one the jewel shards," Shippo stated.

"Hm, I wonder what that could be? Well, we better head back to the village then," Kagome said as she gave a small smile, "Let's go InuYasha."

"Feh," was InuYasha's response.

The group turned and started walking back to the village. It only took them about 5 minutes to reach Kaede's house. They walked up to the door and Kagome walked in followed by InuYasha.

"Ohayo!" Kagome said.

"Ohayo Kagome-chan!" Sango said as she greeted her friend.

Shippo jumped out of Kagome's arms and Kagome and Sango gave each other a hello hug. Miroku walked up from behind Sango.

"Ohayo Kagome-sama. How was your stay in your time?" Miroku asked.

"Ok and I think I might have even passed both of my tests!" Kagome said excitedly and then turned to Kaede, "That reminds me. Shippo said you guys wanted to talk to me and InuYasha about something."

"Aye child," Kaede said, "There are rumors saying that a mysterious dark youkai was been seen flying over villages to the south."

"We think it may be Naraku," Miroku finished.

Kagome nodded at this.

"Then we should leave right away. If it is Naraku we want to find him and make sure he doesn't kill anymore people," Kagome said.

Everyone nodded. Kagome turned around to see that InuYasha was gone.

"InuYasha?" Kagome asked.

A faint "Feh" from outside answered her question. Kagome sighed and her other companions and herself said goodbye to Kaede and then left on their journey. The group continued walking until nightfall before they finally decided to rest for the night. Miroku started a fire and Kagome fished some food from out of her enormous yellow backpack. The group ate and then settled in to sleep. Kagome rolled out her sleeping bag, Miroku sat with his back against a tree, Sango laid on the ground and covered herself with a blanket Kagome and let her borrow, Kiara and Shippo curled up next to Sango, and InuYasha jumped up into the nearest tree. No one spoke a word because everyone was so tired from a full day of walking. The only sound that could be heard was the crackling of the fire. Kagome lay down in her sleeping bag and closed her eyes. Sleep came to her quickly.

Dream

Kagome stood on a place that looked like a large battlefield. In the distance she saw her friends fighting Naraku. Everything was silent. Not even the sound of the battle ahead could be heard.

'What's going on? Is this a dream?'

Kagome ran toward the fight. Naraku saw Kagome come closer. He turned his attention from InuYasha to Kagome. He sent out a power blast right at Kagome. As Kagome saw the attack she screamed. She closed her eyes as she waited for the impact of the blast, but it never came. Kagome opened her eyes to see InuYasha standing in front of her. He had taken the blast for her! InuYasha pulled out his sword and swung it. He attacked Naraku with the full force of the sword. Naraku took the hit straight on and it killed him. The large chunk of the Shikon no Tama fell to the ground. The whole group stood there shocked for a while. InuYasha took a large intake of breath and then fell to the ground. Kagome dashed to his side.

'InuYasha!' Kagome tried to say, but no sound came out of her mouth.

Kagome fell to her knees and picked up InuYasha's head, letting it rest upon her lap. InuYasha looked straight into Kagome's eyes and said something, but Kagome could not make out what he was saying. InuYasha gasped before his eyes closed and he stopped breathing. InuYasha was dead. Kagome sat there with tears flowing down her face. She bent over and hugged InuYasha's limp form to her and whispered, "I love you InuYasha."

End of Dream

Kagome sprung up into a sitting position. She was covered in sweat and gasping for breath. The sun was now just starting to rise and the light reflected on Kagome's shaking form. Kagome put her hands to her cheeks and felt moisture there.

"Kagome-chan?"

Kagome jumped and turned to see Sango looking and her worried.

"Oh, Sango-chan you surprised me." Kagome said as she wiped the tears away from her cheeks.

"Are you ok? You look like you were crying. Is everything alright?" Sango asked Kagome as she knelt next to her friend.

"Yes, I'm fine. I just had a nightmare that's all," Kagome answered as she placed a fake smile on her cheeks hoping that Sango would believe her.

Sango studied her friend closely before standing up and saying, "Ok, but just remember that if you ever need to talk to someone I'm here for you."

"Thanks Sango." Kagome answered as she stood up and rolled up her sleeping bag.

Not far away InuYasha stood. He had heard the girls' conversation, but he could tell that something was bothering Kagome. Ever since yesterday when he picked her up from her world she had been acting strangely. If he didn't know better he would say that she was depressed about something, but that couldn't be true. Kagome was always cheerful and that was one of the things he liked about her. He would never admit it, but he felt something toward Kagome, but he couldn't quite define what it was. InuYasha shrug it off and entered their campsite.

"Are we ready to go yet?" InuYasha asked the group trying to sound as normal as usual.

"Ya, in just a minute InuYasha," Kagome said keeping her glance away from his face as she stuffed the remaining things in her pack.

Kagome turned toward InuYasha lifting her face up. Her eyes remained closed and she put on a fake smile as she said, "Ok, lets get going."

The group continued their journey to the south, but Kagome's mind was off somewhere else. She was thinking about her dream. It was almost exactly like what the book had said. Maybe it was a vision. Kagome hoped not. Luckily her eyes had lost most of their red puffiness. Then Kagome thought of something. What if they met up with Naraku and had the final battle like in the book? What if this was the last time they would set out looking for the jewel shards? Kagome then came back to her earlier question. Should she tell her companions of what the book said? Should she try and alter history?

"Kagome-chan? Kagome.hello Kagome?" Sango said as she waved her hand up and down in her friend's face.

Kagome snapped out of her daze.

"Huh? What?"

"Is everything alright Kagome-sama?" Miroku asked her.

Kagome realized she must have dazed off in the middle of their conversation.

"Yes, everything is fine. I just sorta dazed out because I'm tired," Kagome answered as she tried to put a smile on her face, but couldn't.

"Ok, as long as you saw everything is fine," Miroku said as he turned his gaze back to the path in front of him. Sango took one last glance at Kagome and then turned back to the road like Miroku. Kagome let out a silent sigh. InuYasha was in the front of the group of course. He turned his gaze to look at Kagome. He could tell something was bugging her and he was now determined to find out what it was.

Author's Note: Thanks for the reviews. It took me a little longer to write this chapter than I thought. I've been very busy with Christmas, the New Year, and birthday is coming up as well. So I have been extremely busy and haven't had time to write. Anyway, I hope everyone likes this chapter. The next one should be out by February (I have mid-terms coming up so I'll be busy studying). PLEASE READ AND REVIEW!!! Thank you.