InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Their Daughter's Journey ❯ Family Ties ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Swiftly the figure, blackened by the branches that hung overhead, dashed through the greenery of InuYasha's forest. Her sable hair flowed behind her, succumbing to the spring wind. The girl leered overconfidently, with that same look she wore so many times previous. She whirled around to catch a glimpse of her pursuer. However, the only thing viewable was the forest she had already passed. Her smirk grew. She was far too ahead. No one would overtake her. No one would surpass her. She was invincible.
Once more she twirled around, happily ready to continue her run only to see a tall man glaring down at her sorely. The girl came to a screeching halt, just missing the man's slim figure. He sighed, she groaned, and they both stood in awkward silence.
Batting her eyelashes, as if to ask to be released, she watched his sunlit face and sour expression. At dawn, his silver hair turned to gold, and his already golden eyes glowed with that much more intensity.
“Let's go,” he commanded, walking right by, “before they start to worry.”
She scowled. What did he know? He never worried them. All of those years he was the perfect little son, never getting in trouble, never overstepping his bounds…
His hand wrapped around her wrist and he paced back to the hut but came to an abrupt halt after noticing that she would not move. He groaned in annoyance.
“You're such a pest,” he pivoted around, “can't you just listen for once?”
The girl's sable hair brushed against her face as she protested, “Make me.”
He was always like this - never letting her do what she wanted, always ruining her fun. And he was stronger. What she would give to be that strong! She spent seven years lying down in that damned room. Where was the harm in letting her have a little freedom?
He smiled, placing his hand atop her head. It was a weak smile; however, this one was sincere. He gave that same smile every time she rebelled.
“I understand. I get it, really I do. I'll talk to mom and dad. Just give it time.”
Give it time. More than the seven years she had already wasted? Why did she always trust his words? Why did she believe him?
“Alright.”
His words moved her every time they passed through his lips. The anger that she felt, the feelings bottled within her, all replaced with that one nostalgic word: brother.
Arriving back at home she felt like a wounded animal, her pride shattered, leaking from her injured person. Yet at the same time, she felt fine. It was not a big deal. There was always tomorrow. One day…
“Kikyou, please stop going off on your own like that.” Her mother's words echoed through the room, in one ear and out the other. She didn't understand. She never did.
“I'm not a kid anymore,” she shoved a spoonful of soup into her mouth, “I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself.”
“But-”
She was always like this. Neither of her parents ever listened to her. Why was she always alone, pretending to be some sick child when behind that mask she was capable, healed? If only…if only…
“Can't you just cut her some slack?” A young male voice inquired. This was a remarkable sight - the great Shirou was actually talking back. What a surprise this was. “She's not sick anymore. And she's not weak either. I mean have you seen was she can do? Just let her do what she wants.”
Her father finished his stew and slammed the bowl onto the floor. He, the most stubborn, annoying half demon in the feudal era, would not be so easily swayed.
“Not happening,” he declared, brimming with confidence as he always was. The silver manned hanyou looked right through her. His gaze was piercing, captivating - indifferent.
She could not go against him - father.
As usual, the day came to an abrupt end. And, as usual, she was held captive within her own home. After so many years of this, she was getting use to it - being treated like a child, that is. Always doing as she was told, never getting any say…
Just as always…
“InuYasha, don't you think Kikyou's old enough to decide what she can and cannot do?” Kagome inquired with her voice quiet and content, prepared to move on and allow her child to grow up.
“No, I don't,” He retorted, sitting in a corner with his sword at his side.
“She's fifteen!”
“She's just a child!”
“You're suffocating her!” Her husband froze, as if he had only realized now. Had he? “I was fifteen when I met you, or don't you remember? She can take care of herself,” she beamed.
“But-”
“If ever she were in danger, her brother's always there for her.” That would always be the case. Those two had a bond that no one could break. Even she could see that.
“Shirou?”
“Him too.”
InuYasha bowed his head low, resting it in his hands, defeated. Kagome always had a way with words. As always, she was right. He could not compete.
“I'll think about it.”
Kikyou plopped down on the floor, bathing in mental exhaustion. Ever since she could remember, her family had been difficult. Each one of them was stubborn and pigheaded. It was in their nature.
She fell backwards onto her mat, shutting her eyes and watching the inky blackness surrounding her. It was quiet - a dead silence that could not be broken, no matter how loud you yell or how much noise you made. The mat was cool, complimenting the air outside.
Her mind drifted towards that past morn. Then, the reason she ran, hadn't she seen something? Yes, a faint silhouette hiding within the trees - that was what she had seen. She had lost it among the foliage. It was fast: faster than she was, faster than her brother was, even her father. What was it? A demon, perhaps? Its slender figure made it impossible for her to keep up. Still, the chase was thrilling, even if it only remained within a memory. The thought left her mind as she rested on the ground.
“Kiki,” a voice murmured, soft and yet rough, annoyed but happy, “you there?”
She paused before replying, “Yeah, I'm here.”
A silver manned boy stumbled into the hut, grinning awkwardly as he knelt down next to her. Shirou always worried. Unlike with her parents, she didn't mind. He was different. Despite being twins, he was always nervous. They could not grow close. It was sad, but true. As Shirou, he could reach places she could only dream. They were not the same.
Though he stared straight through her eyes, all she could manage was to turn away. Why could she never face him? Hers eyes shut tight. It was always like this. What a coward.
“Sorry.”
Kikyou's eyes burst open faster than they had closed, immediately turning to her twin. He just…
“What?” Her voice trembled, her hands shook.
“Sorry,” he repeated, one word that forever made her weak. The word she wished to hear most, the one she always spoke, traitorously, longingly, thoughtlessly.
And here he was…
Her own brother…
Shirou took a heavy, large, inward breath, “It's not right for you to be chained down to this place. I never said anything because, maybe I…” his voice faded to no more than a whisper, barely audible.
“I know,” she had to stay composed. She had to stay calm.
“Their just worried,” his voice shook, nervous once more, “it's not that they don't care.”
“I know,” she stated, slowly loosening the grip on her composure. Any second now…
Silence. The only noises made were by the crisp night air chilling the forest outside. No animals, no demons - it was calming. Yet, even then, the air was thick, suffocating.
“What were you doing?”
“Hmm?”
“When you disappeared earlier. Where were you going? I haven't seen you run like that in years,” he proclaimed, making sure to emphasize the last bit.
Kikyou leaned back against the hut's wooden walls, making herself comfortable while thinking of how the phrase it. They had both heard the stories of their father chasing all resident demons away. How could she convince him? Or rather, was that what she wanted?
“I thought I saw something,” the young hanyou announced, once more loosing eye contact. She tapped her foot against the floor, pulling the blanket nearer to her, above her shoulders, “a demon.”