InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Their Daughter's Journey ❯ Prologue to a Journey ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kikyou started home, her head having cooled down after being riddled with so many questions created by the demon. Gripping her chest, she could do nothing but wonder: what if he was right?
Deep in thought, she failed to realize her home was in view. She halted, unsure as to how to handle this feeling within her. Subconsciously she came here, but in reality, it had been a week since she stormed out of her hut, and she had not returned since. Knowing her family, they were worried. And angry. They never had confidence in her abilities, treating her as though she was still nothing more then a child. Living in that sort of atmosphere, how could they expect her ever to stay silent?
In front of the house stood her twin, the demonic albino, as known by others. Just as usual, he tilled the farmland where their crops grew. Mom never let him touch the herbs, so he grew food. A weight lifted from her chest after seeing that. Maybe they finally trusted her.
But, how could that be?
Still far off, she was spotted. The boy quickly ran to her side, emotions a mix of relief and furry meshing. But was there guilt? Judging from his expression, not an ounce.
“Kikyou! Where the hell have you been all this time?” he screeched, causing her ears to ring a most annoying sound.
“Around.”
“Around? We haven't seen you in almost a week! Do you have any idea how worried Mom and Dad are?” The extra noise was heard inside the hut where their parents dwelled, and so they stepped out to view the sudden outburst of their young son.
“What's going on?” InuYasha questioned in a most demanding tone. The parents then turned to see their daughter standing in the darkness. “Kikyou!” he called out, “Where have you been? We were worried about you!”
“InuYash-” Kagome started, being once more interrupted by the hanyou.
“We looked everywhere for you! You could have been hurt! What if a demon attacked?” he screamed furiously, angry that she left rather then happy she was safe.
Kagome grabbed InuYasha by the shoulder and tugged him back a few steps. He looked over his shoulder in bewilderment to see a very angry, very determined priestess. “Kagome?”
“That's enough InuYasha. She's old enough to take care of herself.”
Kikyou's ears perked up. Had she really heard that? Not once, throughout all of the years that passed, had anyone ever said that to her. Her family always considered her weak, even weaker then her human mother. They had a right, because she was always sick as a kid. Lately her condition had improved. Still, they treated her just as before. However, now…
“But,”
“I don't want to hear it InuYasha. At her age, I was already fighting demons in the feudal era with you. She's not as weak as the two of you think.”
The two boys bowed their heads, ashamed of themselves yet still feeling they were not wrong even still.
“Sorry, Kikyou.”
“Mom…”
She smiled at her young daughter, showing her inside where the four of them ate, both males still pouting. The night came to a close and Kikyou returned to her hut, her mother following soon after. “Listen…” the aging priestess began. Even in her late thirties, though, Kagome still looked youthful. She turned towards a crescent moon, silver lights dancing around it. She sighed, her mouth still in an upward curve. “I know it was Shirou's fault that you ran away. Those two…they worry a lot, and sometimes that worry can seem harsh. It makes you feel like they don't trust you, or think lowly of you, like a burden.”
Kikyou looked up at her mother, moonlight reflected in her eyes, thinking that maybe, just maybe, she really did understand. Her mother pushed Kikyou's sable hair away from her face, getting a closer look.
“You've grown so much. We kept our distance because we were scared to lose you like your brother…that's why they act that way, you know. They don't mean to hurt you. It's just the way they are. Please, forgive them.”
In reality, her mother best understood her. Though, it wasn't until this moment that she realized that. With that, Kagome took her leave, and alone Kikyou lay. After a week of sleeping in the forest, surrounded by the midnight sounds hidden within darkness, this calm was more then she could ask. It was her saving grace, her everyday miracle. Family was not that bad. Freedom was better. Both, together, were her ideal.