InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Their Daughter's Journey ❯ Conversation ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The cicadas cried in the distance, complaining of the heat, warning travelers of the unbearable dryness of summer. However, among the scorching heat remained a light breeze - the only salvation for a hanyou. Summer never seemed to end.
Kikyou rested in the shade of a gathering of trees, completely ignorant of her surroundings. How long had she been in hiding - an hour, a week? She lost track of time after the first few minutes. Too busy thinking, maybe.
The grass beneath her was cool and crisp. The sky was a blinding blue, with an even more blinding sun. It was radiant. She could not stand it. It did not fit the depressing atmosphere she was creating.
“Been a while, kid.” A familiar yet unrecognizable voice greeted. No, she remembered. How could she forget something so unique? “Have you thought about what I said?”
Kikyou rubbed her temples, shutting her eyes and completely ignoring him.
“I'm just hallucinating. It'll go away if I don't pay attention.” She spoke this to herself yet at the same time, she mocked the demon, angered him, being hated. “It's just the heat.”
“Why you-” He exhaled nosily, with a grimace, calming himself. “Listen, I will have the jewel, no matter what. You can accept that and hand it over or rebel and end up hurt. It's your choice.”
That threatening atmosphere had become all too common in her life, ever since that demon had arrived. Though they had not known each other long, something told her he was not that bad. Dangerous, yes, but if he was going to do something then would he not have done it by now? Even so, Kikyou could not help but feel a sense of unease when he was near. That boy was strong.
Kikyou's head whirled around to face the demon, finally getting a closer look at him. His skin was lightly tanned, making his eyes almost glow. His bangs hung over those eyes, messy as though he rarely cut it. Strangely, fangs, claws and eyes aside, the boy seemed quite human. Then again, she thought, appearances can be deceiving.
“Just leave me alone.”
He seemed rather intrigued by her words, but brushed it off. “No.”
She tightened her mouth, rubbing her teeth against each other. With a temper like her father's, it was no surprise. And he just fueled the flame.
“Why are you doing this? If the Jewel of Four Souls resides in my bloodline then bother Shirou. He's clearly superior; you've got the wrong person.” Her voice went small, muffled by nature's sounds. Bitter anger did not show the same way in her as in her family. For the most part it stayed locked up, hidden.
“Humph, just like a brat to undermine yourself. I'd expect nothing less from someone with such a feeble amount of demon blood.” His face was swathed in a deep darkness created by leaves above. The demon leaned back in his tree, a similar pose to her father.
“Say what you want, but after you're done, leave,” she bellowed, as though the forest belonged to her.
He stared at her momentarily, contemplating all she had said. His eyes hid behind overgrown bangs as he thought, as he wondered. At this point, every gesture mattered.
The demon leaped from the tree to the ground directly ahead of Kikyou. Her heart skipped a beat. Inches from her face watched gleaming cyan eyes, reflecting the sun above. She took a step backwards as he fingered just above her heart.
“You've been sick most of your life, right?” he questioned, though sure of the answer. His eyes held a peculiar gleam.
“How…”
“And you're part demon. If the jewel had been purified than your body would reject it.”
Kikyou gasped for air, as it seemed to vanish from her lungs. She reached for his hand, near to her heart, as though if they touched he would read her mind. Words flowed out of mind, leaving her unable to speak even basic Japanese.
The demon continued on, noticing her stupor. “The jewel is the only thing making you inferior to the albino. Once I remove it, you'll regain your strength.” His claw scraped her chest, longingly wanting to rip through her skin like most other demonic figures.
“I,” after finding the words, she struggled to put them together. His actions were not helping either, “I can't do it.”
His hand moved from her skin, hesitantly pulling away. That reaction was not exactly what he expected. This girl was far more troublesome than he gave her credit. Nevertheless, he had to press on. He needed that jewel, and he would get it, or die trying.
“You're making no sense to me, but the sacred jewel is supposed to be powerful, right? I don't know much about it, but if it falls into the hands of a demon something bad will happen.”
“You know nothing about it-”
“If what you're saying is true than I can't help you. Even if I could, I wouldn't.” She had once more grasped the language. However, demons were something she could never fathom.
“Oh?” She piqued his interest.
“Demons like you are what killed my brother. I could never trust one of you.”
Her head sank to her lap, recalling faint memories of the past. Every time she tried, she could not picture his face. It was so hard - so agonizing. I think we made a promise, she thought, but I cannot remember what.
The demon's eyes narrowed, perhaps disappointed, and he glared at her even closer.
“Aren't you yourself part demon?”
“I'm part human too,” she stated, as though he were unaware.
He backed away. What was it about her that made him so heated? Each time they came in contact he felt superior, but as soon as she spoke that superiority vanished. With just one sentence, she could suck the life out of him. Even then…
“Whatever,” he jumped back into his tree, twisting his torso around, “I can't deal with stupid half breeds. Later, Kikyou.”
“Wait,” the demon paused, looking back at the hanyou, “why do you know my name?”
He went silent, still. What was he to say? Why did she have to ask? That idiot, making his body feel heavy…
Burdened…
“The albino said it, or is your brain so small that you can't remember even that?”
Bastard, she thought, I'll get you back.
“Then what's your name?”
“Why does it matter?”
“It's only fair.”
He sighed, “Karo,” then vanished, just as he had the night previous.
The name, ringing softly in her ear, stuck within her mind. Unique as it was, it was not unfamiliar. Somehow…had she heard it before? Soon the feeling vanished and the name became something she simply knew of. Her bold nature returned and she looked off into the distance.
Karo, she thought, as though he heard, I'm not sure if I believe you but…
“I won't let the jewel fall into your hands, not matter what.”