InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Unaware ❯ Chapter 11 ( Chapter 12 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

I do not own Inuyasha & Co.
 
Oi, minna…Well, it seems this week has been a rough one. I have been on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster of sorts, and it has been tough to decide when I'd get the chance to write again. I have also recently found out that there will be some changes at work in the very near future here, and I believe my schedule just might change once again. (Sigh) Life is so unfair, ya know. Anyways, as far as changes in where I can write my chapters and when, those are a toss up. But, either way, you'll still see more from me, okay? (Wink)
 
Reviewer's Corner
 
From Media Miner. Org:
 
Little Tennyo: Wow! Thank you so very much, bud! I'm glad to hear your praise! Man! You should see the smile on my face. It's huge and wide! And yes, media miner isn't the place where the bulk of the reviews come from, but hey, just to get the viewings alone is wonderful. When they keep growing steadily each time I post a new chapter, I get excited! And to know you're one of those viewers makes me even happier. Thank you very much for your praise and encouragement, bud! Oh, and by the way…Here's a gift for ya, bud. I aint saying what it is, but read on to find it (wink).
 
XxDemonic PrincessxX: Hey, there. Well, Inu has revealed and realized his main purpose and why he can't leave Kagome alone, or forget about her. It's all because of what she had done for him. Being someone who had finally experienced a traumatic incident in his life, he feels he can somewhat sympathize with Kagome. And usually, when it comes to seeing someone in need of help, whether they put it forth to others or not, a person who cares for others no matter what tend to wanna step in and help as much as they can. And it could just be fate, bringing them together to be there for each other in ways no one else can. I'm figuring it will be confusing to everyone until the plot is resolved. Yes, I do have a good idea as to how this will all end up, but I aint revealing what will occur. Don't feel like spoiling it. (Wink)
 
From Fan Fiction. Net:
 
lunarcat12: LOL! I assure you, you won't have to hunt me down. I have too creative a brain for you to have to resort to those lengths…Anyways, thanks for the desperation…Keeps me going (wink)
 
Cold Kikyo: First of all, thank you for reviewing. I know, it's been unnerving how they've been keeping their actions secret for a few chapters…I was beginning to wonder for a while there. Don't worry, this chapter has some of everything else in it. The one amazing thing about this chapter, is Kagome is only mentioned in this one. So, don't worry, more info on Houji and Kikyo is here, and I'm glad you chose to give me your input.
 
Neko the cat hanyou: Well, as far as how many more chapters there will be…I'd say we're not even half way through. There's a lot to go through. I can't give you an exact figure on that, but I assure you, we'll get there quickly. Especially since, I post every week. And yes, I am anxious to get to the end myself, because it's a good one (Rubs hands together in plotting) I'm glad that even though the length of this story may be getting to you, your patience is still holding. Don't worry, we'll be moving right along with the initial plot here, I promise (wink).
 
kirarakitty: Oh, I know…I feel funky and nervous about what he did too. I still have no clue, but from what I can see, he's gonna wait a while to mention it. So, yeah…bummer there, but I'm sure it won't be anything really important to the plot. Unless he's gonna shock us…You know how he loves to do that…Mangy mutt…Grrrr….(he growls at me…I pat his head and smile)
 
silver-angel-sakura: Thank you! I'm glad you love it, and here ya go (wink)
 
 
And now, on with the fic!
 
 
Chapter 11
 
 
 
That night, Inuyasha had gone back to the hospital after he dropped Kagome off. He felt calm and collected. She was certainly a ray of sunshine in his dark and uncertain reality. Once he set foot in Kikyo's room, his calmness disappeared. He was reminded of what troubles plagued his life. Seeing her lay there motionless brought everything back to him and deepened his depression.
 
He pulled the chair closer to her bed and sat down as he eyed her motionless face. If she didn't have screens and bleeps indicating her life around her, he would have thought she was dead. He reached up and touched her face with his right hand. Not one muscle moved under his touch. Not even a quiver.
 
`Man, right now I bet telepathy would come in handy. But I guess I wasn't that lucky to get that gift. Dammit!' Inuyasha thought to himself as he gripped her chin a bit tight, hoping to get some reaction out of her, but still…nothing. He let his hand drop from her face and leant back into his chair. His gaze shot back from hers to the curtain hanging just past her.
 
`My life goes on, whereas for her, time has stopped. She probably doesn't even know how long she's been out. What do I do? I can't keep living like this, but I can't live without her either. Do I have to move on without her? Or do I still remain here night after night, hoping to see her eyes again?' he asked himself in his mind as he eyed the colors of the curtain. Each color flowed into the other flawlessly. As life does. Each event ends up in another. Each one leads to the next without notice. He began to see his life straying from her just by seeing how the color yellow at the top of the curtain ended up in purple at the bottom.
 
“A totally different color from another,” he said aloud as he noticed how the changes seemed endless `til they reached the end of the curtain. He eyed the floor where the end of the curtain touched. He didn't see any other color begin. Just purple, and that color seemed to last longer than the others. He closed his eyes as he lost himself in thought. No matter how he tried to focus on possible futures with his wife, he ended up with images of earlier that day with Kagome in his head.
 
“No. I will not accept that. Kikyo will live. She will wake up!” he assured himself as he opened his eyes and leaned forward onto the bed, “you will awaken, Kikyo. I know you will. And I will be here to see you open your eyes once again.”
 
 
@*@
 
 
The next morning, Sesshoumaru's alarm sounded and his hand reached over and slapped it. He opened his eyes and listened for any sounds. Hearing nothing but his servant humming a tune as he baked him breakfast, Sesshoumaru moved the covers aside and sat up to stretch out his upper body and arms. He decided he'd have a busy schedule ahead of him that day. First, he would go visit his sister in law, hopefully to catch that lovely young nurse, the one named Rin. Then, he would visit Shikon Adverts to see how their new employee was fairing with his project.
 
Sesshoumaru cleaned himself up, dressed himself in his suit and stepped down the stairs to his morning meal. He picked up the morning paper Jaken had collected for him, and grabbed his cup of gourmet coffee. As his servant made his plate, he sat and enjoyed the news on the competition in hotel chains and his coffee. When he turned a page in the business section, he noticed a bright new face plastered in the middle of the next page. He set down his coffee and adjusted the paper to read just that article.
 
`New employee grants results in advertising' the headline read. He read on as he eyed the beautiful young woman smiling in the picture sitting at a desk in a suit and her hair done up in a simple bun. The article was indeed about Shikon Advert's newest employee. Her name was of no consequence. Just to see her resume of talents she supposedly granted the company made his smile grow. Knowing his project had been left in her hands after Kikyo's accident. She had more under her belt than his sister in law, and she was more than worth her salt, as far as her credentials.
 
Under the short article of her past experience in slogans and the like, he saw a few examples. It seemed she loved scenery the most. He even saw a few magazine shots she did for one of the popular mags in Japan, which of course were for a specific hotel chain. From what he saw, they had made a good decision as far as hiring someone who knows what they're doing. Kikyo's work had been much more simplistic, and to the point. The work he was eyeing in the paper, however…He folded the paper as Jaken laid his plateful of food at his side.
 
 
@*@
 
 
Rin came in a bit early hoping to see if Inuyasha stayed the night, since he had been missing for a while. She punched in, and set her belongings in the locker. She talked to her boss to see if there was anything specific she needed to do first, and then headed out to her duties. Once she reached the Tai door, she quietly opened it. She stepped in and was serenaded with the sound of soft puffs of air. When she rounded the curtain, she saw the silver haired hunk lying peacefully in his bed across from his wife. She sighed in relief quietly as she looked over to his wife. No changes.
 
Rin shook her head and shrugged as she pulled the clipboard out from the end of the bed and heard some sounds from the bed at the other end. She turned to see he had rolled over, exposing his muscular back and shoulder. She couldn't tear her eyes away for a long moment, when the door clicked open. She was startled as she quickly turned her eyes away from the sleeping man and acted as if she was busy.
 
That was when she heard the footsteps end behind her. She froze with the feeling of eyes burn through her back.
 
“Rin,” Sesshoumaru said quietly. She turned to see him standing there eyeing her with kind eyes.
 
“Sesshoumaru,” Rin said with a smile.
 
Sesshoumaru looked over towards his brother and clicked his tongue, “he slept in.”
 
“Yeah, I'm guessing he's not planning on going in to work today,” Rin said nonchalantly as she went back to copying down the vitals.
 
Sesshoumaru closed his eyes in frustration. He planned to sit and have a nice chat with Rin while she worked this morning, and here `he' was, occupying the room. “Meet me in the cafeteria,” he said simply as she turned to acknowledge his request and he stepped out from the room.
 
Rin looked over towards his younger brother, “I wonder why he has such contempt for his brother.”
 
 
@*@
 
 
 
“Now, everyone, one of our clients will be coming in to visit our office today. I expect you all to make him feel at home, and to show him the utmost respect. He is our most important client. Tsubaki, how far have you come on his campaign?” Naraku asked as he turned his gaze to his newest employee.
 
“I am almost finished, sir. I just need to do up a few finishing touches, but they should be completed by the time he arrives,” Tsubaki replied proudly.
 
“Good. I am depending on you for a great presentation,” Naraku replied as he turned to the rest of those under him who sat around the long and narrow table. “Now, here is the agenda for the rest of the morning, beginning at 0900 hours,” he continued on with the rest of the meeting with a smile on his face and a glint of confidence in his eyes. His old friend, Sesshoumaru would be coming by. He hadn't seen him in years.
 
 
@*@
 
 
“Hey, baby,” Jakotsu, said playfully as he looked at the picture of a certain man pinned up in his locker. He eyed the mirror and adjusted the hairpiece holding up his twist of long hair. Once he was satisfied he looked `fine' he kissed the picture and closed the locker as he clipped on his badge and walked up to punch in for the morning.
 
`I can't wait `til I get the chance to see him again. It's been too long.' Jakotsu sighed inwardly as he thought about his crush as he stepped through the doors into the mailroom. Naraku hadn't allowed neither him nor Bankotsu to see Inuyasha yet. After everything that happened, Naraku figured that if they had no contact with the subject in question, then he wouldn't suspect them and think they were a part of Kikyo's shooting.
 
All Jakotsu could think about since the incident, was how he wanted to be with Inuyasha. Being told he couldn't at least try to be there for him, was torture. Bankotsu was the only one out of the three of them who truly understood how he felt, but hey, he was only just a lowly mail runner after all. He hated all this waiting for Naraku's approval to let things go back to normal. He looked forward to the dinner meetings they all had with Kikyo and Inuyasha in the past. But now that Kikyo's out of commission, and has been replaced, that wasn't going to happen anymore.
 
For a while, Jakotsu thought about sending a letter to Inuyasha asking him to meet for dinner for a chat, but he knew he'd lose his job and possibly his freedom if he did. He knew Naraku too well. Naraku wouldn't support him even if he begged on his hands and knees. Jakotsu sighed at the realization that he'd have to wait and bide his time. `Man, life is so unfair,' he thought to himself as he grabbed his letter opener and slashed an envelope open and shoved it into the proper slot.
 
 
@*@
 
 
Inuyasha awoke suddenly. His eyes shot open and he sat up abruptly, seemingly out of breath. He couldn't believe what he had dreamt! He…
 
Dream Sequence
 
 
He heard her voice. Calling his name, in fear. She was calling out to him for help. His eyes opened and he sat up desperately looking for her.
 
“Kikyo!” he called out. He heard her call him again. He threw the sheet aside and he stood from his bed and looked to his wife. He was startled. She had no face. He heard her voice calling again. He then ran through the door and out into the hall. What he didn't understand, was her voice seemed far away, but he could still hear her.
 
He followed her screams and cries. He ended up outside the hospital and running towards town. He saw no one around. The streets were empty, no humans walking the sidewalks, or even in the stores. The cars were sitting still in the middle of the street and weren't running. He felt as if the world had come to an end, and he was the only survivor. As he continued to hear her voice, he kept running. Somehow, he ended up gaining speed `til he realized where her cries were coming from.
 
He crossed the street to where her building was. That was when he heard more than just screams and cries for help. He came to the alleyway and stopped at the end. The sun was shining down the alleyway, as if it was acting as a spotlight. He could see her backed up to the wall, the look of fear on her face.
 
“Kikyo!” he yelled as he saw the man before her raise a gun and pointed it at her head. He yelled her name repeatedly, getting no reaction from either her or the man threatening her. He strained his eyes to gain a clear shot of the gunman, but he remained a shadow, a black figure. Inuyasha listened to his garbled words, trying to make out what he was saying. The only voice he could clearly make out was Kikyo's.
 
Once the gunman cocked the gun, Inuyasha started to run towards them. Kikyo swallowed loud enough for him to hear. Inuyasha heard her think his name and then the shot rang out just as his body fell through the gunman's shadow. He fell to the ground and saw his wife fall lifeless to the ground.
 
“K-Kikyo…my love…I'm here. Stay with me, please,” Inuyasha choked out as he crawled to her lifeless body. He went to touch her, but his hand went through her cheek and everything went black.
 
 
End of Dream Sequence
 
 
Inuyasha looked over to his wife's body in fear. After a few moments, he sighed. She was unharmed, and her face was still there. He then turned and hung his legs over the side of the bed and buried his face in his hands. He had suffered quite a nightmare. He hadn't had one since he was in high school. He shuddered and chills ran up his back. The images of what he saw and what he heard kept ringing and flashing through his mind. He couldn't stop thinking about what he saw.
 
As he sat there trying to clear his mind, the door clicked open. His shoulders stopped shuddering and he remained still as he heard someone enter the room and stop in between his and Kikyo's beds.
 
“Good morning, little brother,” were the words he heard. He then let his hands drop and he raised his gaze to the owner of that greeting. “Something happen?” Sesshoumaru asked.
 
“I just…it's nothing. I'm fine,” Inuyasha replied as he looked off to the side and ignored his brother's questioning stare. Just then, Rin stepped in as well. Inuyasha looked her way. She saw the fear and pain in his eyes for an instant. Then he got up from the bed and padded off past them and into the bathroom. Rin and Sesshoumaru shrugged and then went back to visiting and checking on Kikyo.
 
 
Inuyasha flushed the toilet and then tossed his sleeping bottoms off to the side and started the shower. He stepped in and planted his feet beneath the stream of water. He braced himself against the wall with his hands as he closed his eyes and let the water run down from his face to his neck. Then to his chest and further on down. He tried to calm his nerves from the dream. He tried to make sense of what he saw.
 
All he could conclude from it was he saw the incident happen before he arrived there in the past. Where that knowledge had come from, he'll never know. He felt the need to talk to someone. He felt the need to tell Kagome, the only one who would understand.
 
 
@*@
 
 
Kikyo saw Inuyasha sit up abruptly. She had gotten through to him. He saw it all. He saw it happen. It had taken her and Houji a long time to figure out what they needed to do. She strove long and hard to gain access to her husband. Even to be able to see him. She peeked into her subconscious where her memories lie. Her memories helped her to see him. It seemed that since she had been shot, she forgot what he looked like, and therefore could not see him when he was there in the room with her.
 
She saw his pain. She saw how it was hurting him and killing him inside. The way he looked at her lifeless body was an indication that he still yearned for her. When his brother walked into the room, she was surprised. She didn't know he cared enough about her to come all the way out to Japan. She watched Inuyasha pad off to the bathroom and she decided to follow him. She watched him as he tried to calm himself down under the stream of water. She stepped in past the curtain and reached out to his form.
 
Inuyasha suddenly felt warmth touch him even as the cool water flowed down over his naked body. He suddenly felt warmth wrap around his waist and settle against his back. He felt stability pull him closer. He couldn't figure out what he was feeling, or what was happening, but he felt calm and leaned back into it as he closed his eyes and ignored the water hitting his bare front.
 
Suddenly, a knock sounded at the door followed by a voice asking, “Inuyasha, are you all right in there?”
 
Inuyasha's eyes opened and the warm feeling left him as he looked towards the door. “Uh, yeah. I'm all right,” he replied as he grabbed the bar of soap and began to actually bathe his body.
 
Kikyo stepped out of the room, went down the hall and sat down on the bench. At that point, Houji came out from his room and saw her sitting on the bench with a sad and far-off look on her face. He walked down the hall towards her and then sat down beside her.
 
“Were you able to reach him yet?” Houji asked.
 
“Yes. He saw what happened in his dream. He saw it as a nightmare. I was just with him in the shower. He seemed to accept my spirit surrounding his body. I want so badly to be near him, Houji,” Kikyo replied as Houji wrapped his arm around her shoulders and held her to him.
 
“We'll find a way, Kikyo. I'm sure we will. You finally made contact. That's a start,” Houji reassured. Kikyo nodded and closed her eyes in thought. `We still have a long way to go.'
 
 
@*@
 
 
Well, I like this chapter, even though it was a bit shorter than usual. I certainly like how this chapter has included all the players in this story, save for Kagome. I guess she's taking a break from being in the limelight. Inuyasha doesn't seem to care, but hey…I love reading about him, don't you? (wink) Also, I want to thank all of those who reviewed the last chapter. I write mainly for all of you, and I love the comments and input. I have to say, it's you all that make me successful and cause me to continue writing. So, talk away, my readers! Good or bad, I'll accept it (wink) `Til next time, Ja ne!