InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Unaware ❯ Chapter 12 ( Chapter 13 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

I do not own Inuyasha & Co.
 
Well, that last chapter certainly got some feedback, both good and bad. I'm not sure as to what to say to those who were upset by the last chapter. I believe the characters are acting in ways we all would act if we were in their shoes. Yes, she's hard to understand sometimes, but don't worry, the pairings are as I have said in the start, haven't and will not change. This fic is an Inu/Kag pairing. That you can certainly count on. I want to thank all of those who have read this fic and have been loyal readers so far. So, now that the confusion has been cleared up, I hope, now onto...
 
Reviewer's Corner:
 
From Media Miner. Org
 
XxDemonic PrincessxX: Thanks, and I'm glad I haven't had any problems updating so far (wink)
 
Little Tennyo: Yes, bud…Just for you (wink). Yes, it is like an unpredictable soap opera, isn't it? I think Inu being torn between two beautiful and wonderful women is very interesting, and this one is really putting him through hell. I feel bad for him, but hey, this is how he's letting it unfold. We'll just have to see where this fic goes, now won't we? (wink). Love ya too! Hee hee!
 
Dave Man: Yes, I understand you are confused, but I hope I have cleared it up for ya above. I'm glad you like the very difficult plotline. Just to warn ya, it's about to get even more interesting and twisted (wink).
 
From Fan Fiction. Net
 
Kagome M.K: Yep, here ya go.
 
kirarakitty: I guess I stumped ya, huh? Didn't mean to, but I guess Inu really likes to keep us guessing. I certainly hope your Spanish test goes well, and I'm sorry about confusing you on what's to happen with Kikyo, but I will suggest this, wait it out `til the end. I assure you, you won't be disappointed. It's just that at this point, Inu is her only contact to this dimension, so she has no choice but to contact Inu, and she is his wife after all. The characters are writing this fic, believe me…I have no idea what each new chapter holds when I start writing. Yes, I have the gist of the plot figured out, but their actions are what make this fic a mystery to even me. So, please bear with Kikyo for now, and look forward to the future chapters. I guarantee you'll like the ending (hint, hint).
 
lunarcat12: Thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying each chapter, and I honestly can't reveal the answer to your question on Kagome, Inuyasha and Kikyo. Otherwise…I'd ruin the plot twist…(shifts eyes) And I will keep writing, that's absolutely certain (wink).
 
chocolate thunder down under: Well, in all honesty, there's really no way for me to know who amongst my readers are Kikyo likers or haters. I'm sorry if the last chapter upset you, but honestly, the only thing I can say in regards to this subject is that you shouldn't lose faith in this fic just yet. Yes, Inu and Kikyo have been confusing us lately, but I still have control over how it will end, and that's all I can say on that note. It's not easy to please everyone, but honestly, as far as this fic is concerned, the plot is centered around Kikyo's shooting, so of course she is the center of the plot. If you read on, you'll notice something interesting regarding Kikyo, okay?
 
Cold Kikyo: Thanks, and yes, it is sad.
 
Owari Nai Yumes: Hello, and yeah…who was that man who shot her? Hmm…Anyways, Houji is another one of Kagome's coma patients who had never experienced a coma before. He just has a very vivid imagination, and I believe he's just using hypothetical reasoning to figure out what Kikyo needs to do. But, he does have a soul purpose in this plot, and you'll find out about that later (wink).
 
yashanfluffy: Hey bud! Thanks for the review, and yeah, I agree. As far as I'm concerned, flames will not receive responses since I feel I haven't done anything wrong. Anyways, here's the next chappy! Enjoy, and I'll chat with you about your reaction later (hint, hint)
 
baka neko vita: Thank you very much! I certainly shall, and I have (smiles)
 
 
And now, on with the next installment of Unaware!
 
Chapter 12
 
 
After the shower and the run in with his brother, Inuyasha decided to leave the hospital and give Kagome a ring. As he climbed into his car, he pulled his cell phone from his pocket and opened it. He accessed the menu, highlighted her number and then stopped his thumb from hitting the call button. He stared at the screen for a moment pensively.
 
`How do I say this to Kagome? Would she even know what's going on?' he thought to himself as he set his hand down in his lap and looked out towards the street at the cars whizzing by. Remembering how much his life had changed, and how he tried recently to gain it back, only to find himself stuck into a situation that just complicates things. Now he's having visions of her shooting, and feeling as if he's not alone.
 
He had never really believed that spirits exist, but now he was beginning to feel a bit differently. What he felt earlier was enough to make him wonder. After all that time had gone by, and now he's beginning to think he's being followed? Contacted? By who? Kagome would probably question his sanity. Heh…he was beginning to question it already. But then again, he thought back on how she said that no one knows what goes on in the minds of coma patients. Or why it takes them so long to awaken.
 
“Maybe if I do tell her, she may understand what's going on. She might have an idea of what just happened,” he said aloud as he held up the phone to eye the number highlighted on the screen. He eyed it for a few seconds and then hit the call button.
 
Kagome was awoken out of a deep dream by the ring of her phone. She rolled over and eyed the caller ID. She sat up, hit the talk button and held the phone to her ear, “Hey, Inuyasha. What's up?”
 
“Hey, Kagome. I was wondering, are you free today?”
 
Kagome sat up straight and yawned as she stretched a bit, making slight grunting sounds, “I've got nothing planned, why? You need something?”
 
“Yeah, actually. Something's happened, and I need to talk with you about it,” Inuyasha said; a bit of worry laced in his tone.
 
“Is it Kikyo? Is she okay?” Kagome asked as her eyes finally widened and she snapped awake at the tone in his voice.
 
“Well, yes and no. Please, can I see you?” he asked in a strange tone.
 
“Yeah. Where are you?”
 
“I'm at the hospital still,” Inuyasha answered.
 
“Okay, come on by. It's just me here as far as I know,” Kagome replied as she got out of bed and wandered up to her closet to decide what to dress in.
 
“All right. I'll see you in twenty minutes. Thanks, Kagome,” Inuyasha said as he flipped the phone shut and started the ignition and clicked his seat belt.
 
Kagome pressed the end button on her phone and rushed into the bathroom to get ready. Thoughts of what could have gone wrong went through her mind. What was it he needed to talk to her about? She became nervous by the tone in his voice. He sounded as if he had seen a ghost or something. He seemed scared, and she wasn't sure of why he would, since Kikyo's condition was stable. As she rinsed her mouth of the toothpaste, the doorbell rang and she wiped her face with her towel.
 
When she rushed down the stairs, she saw his face through the windows at the top end of the door. He did look worried. She slowed down a bit and unlocked the door. When she opened it, his eyes right away caught hers. His eyes were filled with confusion and fear. She smiled kindly and pushed open the screen door, “C'mon in.”
 
“Thanks,” Inuyasha said as he stepped past her and into the living room. As she closed the front door, she heard him park himself on her couch and let out an exasperated sigh.
 
She stopped for a second, listened for a moment and then stepped into the living room. There he was, laying his head back against the back of the couch with his hand across his forehead. She gently sat down beside him and eyed him silently. He remained like that for a few moments in silence as he tried to come up with how to start what he needed to say. Kagome decided to gain his attention by putting her hand on his right thigh. He immediately looked her way with a strange look in his eyes.
 
“I'm sorry, should I not have touched you?” Kagome gasped and pulled her hand away.
 
He right away grabbed her hand and eyed her face, “No, it's not that. I just…”
 
“Just what?”
 
“Can I ask you something? Promise you won't laugh?” Inuyasha asked innocently.
 
Kagome cocked an eyebrow, `what's this all about? Why would he ask me if I would laugh at him?' Kagome thought for a second and then responded with, “no, I won't.”
 
“Do you believe in spirits? Roaming and displaced souls?” Inuyasha asked simply.
 
`Whoa…why's he asking about something like that?' Kagome thought and then asked, “As in them having a purpose to remain here amongst us?”
 
“Yeah,” he replied as he eyed her intensely.
 
“Well, I believe spirits exist. We all have souls, which make us who we are. Why are you asking me this?” Kagome asked as he wrapped his hand around hers gaining her attention.
 
“I had a dream this morning. I dreamt about Kikyo. I dreamt that I could hear her calling. When the dream started, I was asleep, and when I looked over at her, her face was gone. Then I followed her voice through town and it led me to the crime scene. I saw her get shot by someone, but I couldn't make out who the gunman was. I saw it happen. All of it. I screamed her name, but she didn't answer me. I couldn't stop it from happening! I saw her fall lifelessly to the ground…” Inuyasha began to lose it. His eyes clenched shut and his breathing became labored as he relived what he saw. Kagome couldn't stand to just sit there. She right away drew her hand from his and embraced him as he lost it in her arms.
 
“Shhh…its okay, Inuyasha. Just let me comfort you. You don't have to say anymore,” Kagome said calmly as he shuddered and sniffled in her arms.
 
He held her back tightly as if she was his lifeline. She felt terrible at the fact this was all she could do for him. She rubbed his back to try to comfort him as he lost it. She had never seen a man lose it this badly. She could tell how much he felt for his wife. The sight devastated him, but what hurt worse was the fact that he was completely helpless. She began to hum and rock back and forth slightly to try to calm his heart and soul. He held on to her tight for a few more minutes until his body finally calmed down and his sniffles ceased.
 
“Are you okay now?” Kagome asked as his head pulled away from her neck and rested on her shoulder.
 
“I guess. Kagome, the reason why I asked was because not only could I not stop it from happening, but I fell through the gunman and my hand went through her face when I tried to touch her. And that's not all,” he said as he sat up and held her gaze, “when I was in the shower afterwards, I felt I wasn't alone. I felt as if someone was embracing me.”
 
“You felt someone with you?” Kagome asked, gaining a nod from Inuyasha. She brought her hand up to her chin in thought as he eyed her waiting for an answer. She played his words over in her mind for a few moments and then returned her gaze to his, “So you believe you saw everything from the moment your wife was about to be shot, and you couldn't stop it from happening. All you could do was watch. And when you tried to make contact, your body passed through hers?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“And then you felt a presence with you while you were in the shower embracing you? Was it an embrace you recognize?” Kagome asked, gaining a far-off look in his eyes.
 
He thought back at all the times he and Kikyo joined each other in the shower for all those years, and one time hit him. His eyes opened wide and he gasped, “You mean she…”
 
“It's possible. Now this is certainly interesting. So, her soul may be misplaced, and yet her body still lives? Even on it's own?” Kagome asked aloud in thought.
 
“Then her soul is just roaming the earth? Alone?” Inuyasha asked.
 
“Well, she may have finally found you. I'm figuring she's been trying to contact you for a while, but it's taken this long for her to realize something, but what?” Kagome explained with a far-off look in her face.
 
“I don't know, but that's besides the point. Why did she show me that?” Inuyasha asked curiously.
 
“Maybe she needs her attempted murder solved. Have you heard anything about the case from the police?” Kagome asked.
 
“Nope, nothing yet. Since there was no evidence left at the scene, they have no leads to go on. They questioned me and the man who found her at the scene, and took him downtown immediately after she and I left. I have no idea who the guy was, but he was unarmed and had no clue as to what was going on,” Inuyasha explained.
 
“Well, she maybe trying to contact you to try and solve her attempted murder. Maybe she can't rest or come back until that's solved,” Kagome replied.
 
“But, what can I do? I wasn't even there! I couldn't even make out the person's face! All I saw was a shadow of someone standing before her with a gun pointed at her head! I couldn't even make out what it was he was saying to her!” Inuyasha shouted in frustration.
 
“Calm down, Inuyasha! This is only the first time she's tried to contact you. She might give you clues as time goes by. Inuyasha, it's clear your wife needs you. She needs you to be strong for her right now. It would kill her to see the pain you're in,” Kagome assured as she held his hand.
 
“You're right,” he replied as he let out a sigh and closed his eyes.
 
“Inuyasha, what if we were to go there,” Kagome mentioned.
 
“Go where?”
 
“To where it all happened. The crime scene. You might find some answers there,” Kagome mentioned.
 
Inuyasha shook his head, “I don't know if I could go there right now, knowing what happened. I would see it happen all over again,” he said in frustration.
 
“Exactly. Inuyasha, she needs your help. I'll come and comfort you if you need it. Okay?” Kagome reassured as she clenched her other hand around his.
 
“You sure about this?” he asked eyeing her in question.
 
“Yes, trust me,” Kagome replied. He eyed her for a moment longer and then nodded. They then got up from the couch and stepped out the front door to drive out to the crime scene to see what they could find.
 
@*@
 
 
Kikyo saw Inuyasha walk out of the hospital with a strange look in his eyes. He looked as if he was worried. She wondered if the visions she had sent him helped. What bothered her more than anything was she could account for everything that happened, save for what her killer said and who he was. She just felt a familiarity about him, but she couldn't place it. She had mentioned it to Houji and he claimed it might have been due to her head trauma. That maybe she had memory problems. She could remember everything else, but the most important factors.
 
Houji remained at her side as Inuyasha drove off after calling someone. She figured he had called his buddy Kouga. As he drove away, she sat down on the bench, Houji joining her. She hated it when he left. She felt hope when he was near, but there were too many distractions. Once she remembered who her husband was, everyone else became apparent to her. Least, everyone she recognized. She'd never forget a face like Sesshoumaru's. His face could brand itself into anyone's memory with the look he shot at everyone.
 
What helped her to remember Inuyasha was the best day she had ever had. Their wedding day. She was so happy to have married such a wonderful and loyal man. When she remembered how he looked in her eyes as he said his vows to her, all the memories they shared came flooding back into her head, and there he was. Asleep in the bed across from hers. She couldn't stop herself from crawling into bed with him and try to make that connection. She immediately felt the power within her and knew exactly what to do.
 
Kikyo relived hell. She helped him see what she knew. Now all that was left was to see if he could find the missing clues, since her memory was splotchy. She was happy to have finally been able to reach out to him. He seemed exhausted from stress, and he didn't look nearly as happy as she remembered him to be. What happened was wearing him thin, and he was paying for it for her.
 
That was the last thing she wanted Inuyasha to go through. If she could remember who did it, and why, she would honestly solve it herself, but she wasn't dealt that lucky a hand. She at least had something to work with. As she waited for her memories to return, Houji remained with her and helped to comfort her. Kikyo began to wonder if she was meant to meet Houji for some important reason. He was very kind, sweet and paid close attention to her needs. Since they both had head wounds that refused to heal, they both tended to each other's wounds and made sure they were both there for each other when things got weird or disoriented, which happened often.
 
After Inuyasha left, she felt the strength drain from her. She knew she wouldn't be able to contact him again for a while. He was all she had, and she hoped nothing would happen to Inuyasha as he tries to piece everything together. Since she was in no condition to leave the grounds of the hospital, her body being her main source of energy, she had to trust that he would be safe.
 
 
@*@
 
 
Inuyasha and Kagome remained calm and quiet on the drive to the crime scene. Even though music bellowed from the speakers, neither of them felt like singing. Inuyasha tried hard to concentrate on the road and the drivers around him while Kagome watched the scenery go by.
 
Inuyasha hadn't said anything to her, and she felt her nerves and some jitters set in at the fact that she'd learn more about their relationship. She tried her hardest not to get involved, but ended up in the middle of the situation anyways. The fact that he came to her and didn't choose to seek anyone else meant something, but she wasn't sure if she was willing to accept what that could be. Yes, she cared about what was going on, and it did seem a bit fishy.
 
Since she had no idea what kind of woman Kikyo was, she wasn't sure if there was a way she could help him through this in any other way but to support him. If that were all he needed from her, then she'd be more than glad to help. Yes, she loved the feel of his body against hers during the times they've embraced, and she had to admit to herself that she hadn't been interested in any man as far as looks or personality since her best friend's death, but to take that further? She'd have to just ride it out and see where all this leads.
 
As Kagome's train of thought flew out the window, Inuyasha pulled into the convenience store parking lot just across from the alleyway. Kagome was suddenly pushed back into reality when he killed the ignition and finally spoke after a long drought of sound.
 
“There. She was shot down this alley,” Inuyasha said aloud as he pointed straight ahead of them. Kagome eyed the alley as he climbed out of the car and shut his door. She watched him step out in front of the car and stand there, eyeing the alley with his hands resting at his sides. From behind, he seemed to be looking off far into the distance, remembering something.
 
Kagome unbuckled her seatbelt and emerged from the car. She used the door for support while she eyed Inuyasha as the wind blew his hair off to one side. He looked valiant from behind. The strong physique, the broad shoulders, and muscular arms with his hands clenched at his sides. He looked as if he was ready for something rough. She closed the door and stepped up beside him. His gaze remained trained on the dark alley as she looked his way, the wind blowing his silver bangs across his forehead. His jaw was taught and she could see the muscles in his cheek flexing.
 
Kagome began to wonder what was going through his mind as he stood there staring off into space. She looked to his right hand and saw how tight a fist he was making. She then decided to comfort him a bit as she wrapped her left arm around his right. He immediately looked to her and she nodded. He gave her a look of understanding and they both crossed the street towards the alley.
 
When they came to the alley, Inuyasha urged her forward. He swallowed a few times as they walked deeper into the darkness. Kagome tightened her hold on his arm. He responded to the gesture by resting his hand over hers. They walked together arm in arm through the darkness to the spot where the crime that changed both of their lives happened.
 
Once they came before the wall Kikyo was backed up against, Inuyasha disentangled himself from Kagome and stepped up to the wall. He raised his right hand to touch the wall where her head was pressed against in fear. Kagome stood behind him and watched as he touched and felt the wall before him. He suddenly stopped his hand. He had felt something. He searched the wall and found what he thought he felt. A few strands of hair. Kikyo's hair. He pulled them from the wall and started to turn around when Kagome stepped up to see what he was holding.
 
“They're Kikyo's from before she was shot. They were snagged on the concrete and brick,” He said as he brought the hairs to his face to smell them.
 
Kagome turned away from the gesture and eyed her surroundings. There were a few brown bloodstains on the ground, but nothing else that she could consider hardcore evidence. The scene truly was unsearchable. While she stood facing the street, she eyed everyone walking by. No one paid attention to the alley. They all walked while staring straight ahead, or looking elsewhere. She felt compelled to eye the pedestrians for some reason.
 
Inuyasha had taken to closing his eyes; kneeling and seeing the scene all over again as he clenched his fist around the strands of precious hair his wife left behind. He still couldn't make out anything beyond what he had already seen that morning. But suddenly, once his train of thought ended on the crime, one other memory came to his mind. The day after, when he sat in his car looking at everyone walking past the alley. The one who stopped and looked down the alley and then gained a smile for some reason. Jakotsu.
 
His eyes flashed open in shock, `what the? Why am I remembering that?' he thought as he eyed Kagome. She was staring down the alleyway. Someone stood at the end of it, just inside the shadows. Inuyasha's gaze strayed to the shadowed figure looking their way. Inuyasha stood and readied himself for whatever action the person would take. When the person stepped towards them, Inuyasha stepped up ahead of Kagome to protect her if the need arose.
 
“What are you doing here?” the figure asked, the voice clearly belonged to a man.
 
Inuyasha stood tall and rigid, ready for a fight, “Mind your own business.”
 
“Humph…this alleyway is off limits to pedestrians,” the figure said.
 
Inuyasha began to wonder if the figure was a cop, or just some person who thinks they can push someone around. He made sure he was ready for what he'd throw at him and Kagome. “Who are you?” Inuyasha asked.
 
“Who am I?” the man asked sarcastically as he stepped up into view and out of the shadows.
 
Inuyasha raised an eyebrow, “You.”
 
“It's been a while, Inuyasha,” Naraku said calmly as he stood a few feet before them.
 
“What are you doing here, Naraku?” Inuyasha asked.
 
“I thought I asked that question first, and I don't remember getting a straight answer. Are you looking for something?” Naraku asked as his gaze fell to Inuyasha's hand, “Ah, found something I see?”
 
“Tsch…Like it's anything you could use or want. Why did you decide to check the alleyway out anyways?” Inuyasha asked curiously.
 
“I saw your car parked across the street when I stepped through the doors, and I knew I hadn't seen you inside the building. So, I figured you had visited the alley. And sure enough, here you are,” Naraku said with a smile. He eyed Inuyasha for a moment `til Kagome peeked her eyes over his shoulder to see who Inuyasha was talking to. “And who's this?” Naraku asked as he took a step forward.
 
Inuyasha immediately stepped in his way and held out his arms, “She's no one, so forget about her.”
 
“Oh yeah? How could she be no one when she's being protected by you? She must be someone dear to you. What is your name, woman?” Naraku asked.
 
“Don't answer him, you don't wanna know him,” Inuyasha commanded over his shoulder. Kagome nodded and stepped up closely behind him with her hands on his shoulders. “I came to see if there was anything left here that could help the police solve the crime,” Inuyasha added.
 
“Oh? I'm sure you won't find anything of use. Whoever did this was smart. I would just give up if I were you,” Naraku suggested.
 
“And why would you want me to give up? Didn't you hold Kikyo dear to you as an employee? Or, better yet, as a love interest?” Inuyasha shot at him, causing Kagome to gasp behind his back.
 
“Love interest? What makes you think that?” Naraku asked innocently.
 
“Don't play dumb with me. I know there was more to those dinners than just wanting to celebrate business deals and finished projects. Admit it, you have a thing for my wife,” Inuyasha accused harshly.
 
“Now, Inuyasha. What proof do you have of that? I have never made advances on your wife, I assure you,” Naraku said calmly. Too calm to Inuyasha's mind.
 
“I don't trust you, and I never will, you understand me? And not just you, but your two tag-alongs also. All three of you reek of bad karma,” Inuyasha spat as he glared at his wife's ex-boss.
 
“Inuyasha, how about we go and grab some coffee and chat about this civilly, like two grown men…and woman,” Naraku offered as he gestured behind Inuyasha.
 
“No thank you. I refuse to ever sit down at the same table as you ever again,” Inuyasha stated.
 
“Then we'll never get to talk this out. I'm sorry to hear that. Since you refuse to chat together as men, you won't be able to hear my alibi on this matter of what was truly going on between me and my previous employee,” Naraku said as he closed his eyes and spoke calmly and innocently.
 
“Alibi? Tsch…Like you could ever have one, you slime ball. Why do you think Kikyo and I always requested I be present at these dinners? Can you answer that for me?” Inuyasha challenged Naraku with a smirk.
 
“Well, let's see. You enjoyed the free gourmet food at only the best restaurants in the city, as well as the company,” Naraku answered.
 
“Tsch…That's what you think,” Inuyasha replied as he took a step forward with his right foot and readied himself to throw a punch, “You wanna know the real reason? It's because I wanted to make sure no funny business went on while you were taking just her out to dinner to date with her and possibly try to propose to my wife!”
 
“Now, now, Inu. You know that's not true,” Naraku assured.
 
“Then what's with the ring Kikyo came home with that time? Huh? You know. The platinum gold band with the hugest rock I had ever seen in my life?” Inuyasha mentioned.
 
“I don't know what you're talking about. I never bought her a ring,” Naraku replied.
 
“Well then, why was it in a box containing a note saying that it was a gift from you? You jerk! I looked it up! That was an engagement ring!”
 
“And how did you come across it? Did she tell you about it? Did you ask her how she got it? Or why?” Naraku asked innocently.
 
Inuyasha was silent for a moment, “I found it. In the glove box of her car a week before she was shot. I didn't know what to make of it, and I never got the chance to ask her about it. I wanted to confront her, but she never came home,” Inuyasha said in defeat.
 
“Inuyasha, I gave her the money to pick that ring up at the jewelers for me, and I asked her to wait to get it to me. It wasn't for her, it was for another woman. The ring doesn't matter anyways, since the woman I meant to propose to broke off our relationship just a week before her shooting, when you found it. I told her she could keep it and consider it a gift for her good work in the company. I never proposed to your wife, and I never had the intention to,” Naraku explained.
 
Through his sad speech, Inuyasha shook his head in disbelief. He knew his wife. If she was handed something that beautiful, expensive and rare, she wouldn't have hid it from him, she would have told him about it. To hide it where Inuyasha least expected to find it and to keep it quiet, something was wrong. Something didn't make sense.
 
“I don't believe your sad sappy story, Naraku. You'll have to do better than that,” Inuyasha challenged.
 
“That is the truth, trust me. Try fitting the ring to Kikyo's finger. Then, you'll see it wasn't bought for her. I've known her ring size for years, since the day she showed me the gorgeous ring you bought her. She's a size 7. That ring is a size 9. Trust me on this, Inuyasha. I haven't told you a lie,” Naraku explained as he turned his back on Inuyasha and started towards the street.
 
“You jerk! How would I know whether you just never had the chance to get the ring sized for her? Maybe you made it the wrong size on purpose! Just so that I would believe a lie like the one you just told me!” Inuyasha shouted as Kagome wrapped her arms around his waist from behind to help him calm down.
 
Naraku stepped around the corner and was gone. Inuyasha stood there and seethed. He would never believe the lies that man had just fed him. He had always known there was something fishy about that man. The way he acted around Inuyasha himself, the ways he would stare at Kikyo longingly, the notes he'd found often, torn up and thrown in the garbage can by Kikyo herself. He knew what was going on, and he had him pegged. He would check the ring, but he would also try to take it back to the jewelers to ask who actually handed the money over for the ring. What bothered him the most out of everything was Naraku knew something as personal as his wife's ring size.
 
Kagome began to worry as she stepped around Inuyasha and held his face in her hands. She raised his chin from his chest to look into his eyes. He was fueled with anger. She had never seen eyes as angry as his. Kagome gasped and she immediately threw her arms around his waist and buried her cheek in his chest as she said, “Inuyasha, calm down! You're scaring me! Please!”
 
Inuyasha's eyes shot open wider in shock at her words. He looked down and saw her eyes clenched shut as a tear fell down her cheek. Inuyasha took a deep breath and closed his eyes as he embraced her back and apologized.
 
“I know that was hard for you to hear, but for me to see such anger in your eyes, I never thought you could lose it like that,” Kagome said with a shaky voice.
 
“I never meant to scare you. I'm sorry for this, all of it,” Inuyasha said softly.
 
Kagome lifted her head and looked into his saddened eyes, “What do you mean by `all of it'?” Kagome asked.
 
He sighed and put his hand on her cheek as he replied with, “Everything. Getting you involved in my sad and pathetic life. Getting you in trouble with your boss. Confusing you and your family. All of it.”
 
“But, Inuyasha, I am glad I met you. Please don't apologize for that. We met for a reason, I truly believe that,” Kagome replied.
 
“No, listen. By being seen with me, you risk becoming a part of this farce. It has nothing to do with you. I'm so sorry. If you value anything you have in your life that's special, I suggest we stop seeing each other,” Inuyasha said as he closed his eyes and stepped away from her.
 
Kagome watched him for a moment and then ran after him. “No! I refuse to let this end here! You need me!”
 
“Actually…” Inuyasha began as he turned towards her, “no. I don't. My feelings for you aren't worth ruining your life.”
 
“Ruining my life? How can that happen?” Kagome asked curiously.
 
“I can't tell you. Just walk away from me, Kagome,” he said as he turned from her once again and she ran up behind him.
 
“No! I refuse to let you go! This is something you can't go through alone!” she shouted as she grabbed hold of his arm to stop him.
 
“Leave me now, or you'll end up losing your life!” He shouted as he pulled his arm from her grasp. He then shot her a stern glare that read of madness.
 
Kagome saw the madness in his eyes and gasped, “You're not…gonna kill him, are you?” Inuyasha didn't say anything. He just turned away again only to get held back once again. “Does this have something to do with the bad thing you did in your past?”
 
Inuyasha turned his eyes on her again and replied with, “Never ask me about that ever again.”
 
She gasped at the look in his eyes and threw herself into his body, “I will not leave you! If it'll stop you from doing something mad, then I will not let my arms be torn from you!”
 
He sighed and let his arms drop to his sides. As Kagome embraced him tightly and possessively, she sobbed loudly and she made promises he knew she could never fulfill. He looked to the sky as if to find answers as they stood together in the empty and shadowed alleyway.
 
 
@*@
 
 
Ooo…The plot thickens. Wow, I think we just got a glimpse into Inu's past about the bad thing he did. Though it's not enough to know for certain what it is, still…another clue. (Rubs hands together) I now know the plot has just begun to get serious, and it looks like we're going to see some interesting things happen from this point on, huh? Well, `til next time! Ja ne!