InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Until Death ❯ Sesshoumaru Speaks; Kagome Acts ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: Plain and simple, I don't own Inuyasha or any of the other characters. That right lies solely to a Japanese woman whose name I won't even attempt to spell.
Chapter 5
Sesshoumaru Speaks, Kagome Acts
The two sat in silence, the tension permeating the atmosphere around them. Lord Sesshoumaru stared at the miko in interest. So my brother's miko is dying…interesting. He thought, staring at Kagome, who seemed oddly engrossed in the blanket on which she sat. “This does not explain why my brother never noticed your illness.” Sesshoumaru voiced. Kagome continued to gaze at the bedspread before her. “I hid my scent from him.”
“Then why could this Sesshoumaru smell it?”
Kagome sighed, “My guess is when I have a fit, or in other words, my illness takes over, my barrier drops. I was just lucky enough to get away from the others before getting sick.” A short pause ensued before Sesshoumaru picked up on something, something that shocked him, though of course he would never allow his face to show it, “Does anyone know of this sickness other than this Sesshoumaru?” He asked, instantly knowing the answer when the miko looked at him, her face shadowed with unshed grief, and shook her head.
“Why did you bring me here? Why save my life, or rather, what is left of it?” Kagome asked, compelled to know. She stared inquisitively at the Lord, awaiting an answer she wasn't certain she would get. “I have use of your healing ability.” Was all the stoic lord offered in turn. “But why me?” she asked, getting tentatively off the bed and standing before Sesshoumaru. With one look at the brown orbs, Sesshoumaru relaxed. “This Sesshoumaru is not sure why. Something told me your particular help was necessary.” He finished the last word awkwardly, unsure why he had disclosed such information to her, but duty to his ward overtook his discomfort. Rising smoothly to his feet, Sesshoumaru turned towards the door. “Come.” He demanded fluidly as he strode across the floor, ceasing to make even the faintest of sounds.
Kagome shook her head, unable to understand the complexity known as Sesshoumaru, she followed behind, one of his steps, met by three of her own.
Looking at the splendor before her, Kagome almost ran into Sesshoumaru as he stopped abruptly before a door. Motioning her to be quiet, he entered the room, and confused, Kagome meekly followed. The room was dark, despite the fact that it was now past noon, by Kagome's internal clock.
Even in the dark, Kagome could make out the tiny form wrapped up in multiple blankets on the bed. “She has been like this for more than four days.” Sesshoumaru explained in a hushed voice. Kagome nodded, barely making out the shape of a little girl beneath all the blankets. Her breathing was forced, and her little round face was painted a feverish red. Kagome gently brushed the little black curls from the girl's face, transfixed by the angelic features that peered up at her. The light brush against her face had confirmed that the girl was sick, really sick.
She took a deep breath, knowing what she was going to have to do. She turned to the Lord. “I will try to heal her, but I warn you, if she is too far gone I won't be able to save her.” Sesshoumaru gave a slight nod, and Kagome took this as a sign to continue.
Taking a deep breath, she faced the girl, giving her the whole of her attention. Kagome sighed contently, as the warm pulse of her miko power pulsed through her body. It is the least I can do for him saving my life. She thought ironically as she realized she might not live to see the outcome of this healing. She placed a hand on each of the girl's flushed cheeks, fighting to push her power out of her palm, and into the dying body of the girl.
On the tip of her senses she felt her body waver, preparing to fall. Strong hands situated themselves around her petite form, keeping her upright.
Sesshoumaru could smell the taint streaming off the Kagome's body, realizing she might not survive the strain of this healing. She would sacrifice herself for someone she knows nothing about? This miko is…different. He though as Kagome's body began to waver, her energy and life being sapped as she transferred it thoughtlessly into the child before her. Within the same second, he reached out to her, his hands wrapped around her waist, sustaining her footage. It would do no good if she lost contact with the child at this point.
Kagome felt something snap in the back of her consciousness. A flicker of light left the tip of her fingers before Kagome dropped her hands. She released a light moan; her body felt light, her legs and arms felt weightless. The only sensation she felt was the burning pain that was raging in her head. She weakly rolled her head back, coming in contact with something soft yet firm. All she could focus on was the fire raging within her mind. “Make it stop.” She begged as everything went dark and her body went limp.
Sesshoumaru held the lifeless body tightly in his grasp. He could hear her heart thumping weakly in her chest. She was alive, but barely. Glancing at his ward, he breathed easier. She looked world's better. Her face was its normal peach and she was breathing restlessly. She even moved to clutch the blankets closer, presenting awareness of her surroundings she hadn't shown since she had fallen ill. Sesshoumaru stared incredulously at the raven haired youth in his arms. She had done something without fear or worry for her own wellbeing. What is it that makes this miko different then all of the others? He wondered, the thought troubling him as he carefully carried Kagome to the next room, placing her under the covers. Gazing intently at her gaunt features, he noted how beautiful she must have been before falling ill. He remembered the klutzy acts the girl was prone to committing years before, but now there seemed to be a certain grace to her step she had once lacked.
Now that I think about it, it has been years since this Sesshoumaru has actually looked at this miko. He thought as he brushed a black curl from her face. He studied her body, her pale unmarred complexion, her waist-length black hair, her daintily pointed nose, some features he noticed more than others, his eyes lingering on her voluptuous chest and splendidly rounded hips. His eyes followed every contour of her body. For a human, she is rare indeed. He considered as he got to his feet, careful not to bump the bed in the process. As he left the doorway, he glanced back once more. His mind full of gobble-de-gook, he hurried to his study, he had paperwork to attend to, and a mind to distract. There were certain things he didn't want to think about, one of them being asleep right down the hall.
Author's Note: Ok, I know this sounds like a lot of SessKag fics, but I promise you, this fic is about ready (in about two chapters at the most) to take a turn most of you wouldn't expect(hopefully), even if you don't notice it at first, so please be patient.I'm also asking you to be patient because I'm in the process of getting a beta. As soon as he/she pulls through I will be replacing each of the chapters with a revised chapter, and that may take some time depending on how often the beta, who will be thanked profusely once one is decided on, can revise the chapters. Thank you for your understanding! I hope you enjoyed the chapter! Don't forget to rate and review after reading! Thanx!