InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Until Death ❯ Trying to Understand ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I still don't own Inuyasha, and never will, but I do own the storyline! (Yay!!!)
Trying To Understand
Chapter 6
Kagome knew, even while only on the edge of consciousness that the pounding in her head would not go away if she didn't take her pills. Tentatively, she opened one eye, only a fraction of the way, afraid of what any amount of light would do to her already throbbing skull. Noticing it was pitch back in the room, she rolled off the bed, the urgency to get her medicine dulling the pain of the actual drop. Realizing she was in a different room then the one she had woken up earlier, Kagome propped herself on her hands and knees, making her way due south, sensing the door would be there. I can't afford a fit right now. It looks to be the middle of the night, and I'm helplessly alone. Lord Sesshoumaru must even be asleep with how late it is. Kagome thought, a feeling of utter vulnerability nibbled on her heart, urging her forward, one pace… two paces… three. She lost count as she entered the halls.
Despite her previous beliefs, Kagome knew she wasn't ready to die just yet, her resolve on the matter crumbing as she realized each fit brought her closer to her true death. Without her medicine, she would be a sitting duck for the tumor to completely take her over. Sure, eventually, she would die anyway. Dr. Ikago had explained what would ultimately happen. The headaches would get worse, the seizures closer together, despite medication, her memory would tumble downhill, along with her speech, eyesight, and coordination; she would slowly lose control of her entire body. In the end, she would be unable to piece together even the simplest of sentences, or even effectively move, for that matter. My body, unresponsive, my mind, immobile, I'll fall into a “peaceful” sleep, and never wake up again.
Kagome sighed, depression rooting itself deep in her body, making her feel heavy as lead. Suddenly tired beyond belief, Kagome slumped against the cold wall, her body feeling weak and defenseless. Opening her eyes, she glanced down the corridor, barely being able to make out the dark shadows of each doorway. There's no way I'll find my way through this damned maze.” She thought bitterly as her shoulders slumped. I'm so tired. I'll leave fate to decide on whether I live another day or not. I just want to sleep…
Sesshoumaru sighed, relaying the happenings of the day through his tired mind. On the edge of his consciousness he could sense his ward, sleeping fitfully in the room next to him. His mind reached out to the miko that slept in the room next to Rin's, only to reveal that the room was strangely bereft of her energy. His eyes snapped open as he growled in annoyance. Swinging his legs over the bed, he donned a robe. Leaving the room, he entered the miko's, surprised that the miko had gone anywhere so late at night. Her medicine. His mind snapped at him. “She must have gone in search of her medicine; it has been too long since she last took it.” He thought aloud. He cursed openly as he realized she could have been anywhere in the castle. He made his way quickly down the hall, hoping the direction he had chosen was the right one. H sighed in unrealized relief as the distinct body of the miko met his eyes. Her body was curled wearily into the fetal position, and she whimpered softly in her sleep. Bending down, he wrapped his arms around her, through her barrier he could smell the tangy burnt smell her body emanated, though her floral scent was the dominant smell, it didn't quite mask the odor the illness released.
Her small frame seemed to weigh nothing as Sesshoumaru walked down the expanse of the dark hall, effortlessly making his way without bothering the sleeping woman in his arms. Stopping at a doorway and flinging the door open with the use of his foot, his eyes singled in on the bright yellow bag in the corner. Setting Kagome gently on the bed, he made his way over to the bag, wasting not time in flinging it open and digging to the bottom, his hands closing around each of the bottles he knew he would need.
Shaking the miko awake, he offered her the necessary medicine, and a glass of water. Eyes wide and clouded with pain, and confusion, she took the offering, quickly downing the pills without a word. “Thank you.' Kagome offered hesitantly, not sure what to make of the strange gesture. Sesshoumaru nodded at the words of gratitude, words of his own escaping his lips. “Can you walk?”
Kagome nodded, her confusion showing, once more, through the large vastness of her dark brown eyes. “Come with me then.” Sesshoumaru said, shifting from the bed to stand alertly on his feet. Leading the way down the still dark hall, Sesshoumaru took his time, making sure the pace he set was something the girl could keep up with easily. After leading Kagome to her room, Sesshoumaru followed her to her bed, noticing the slow, calculated movements the girl used, attempting to conserve energy. “G' night Sesshoumaru.” Kagome muttered sleepily under her breath as Sesshoumaru went to leave. The demon lord stopped at the door, the small words of courtesy, causing him to feel something previously unknown to the man. Noticing Kagome was already asleep, Sesshoumaru made his way down the hall to his room.
He closed his eyes, but too many questions flicked at the back of his mind for him to sleep, causing him to toss and turn restlessly under the cool, white silken sheets. Sighing in aggravation, the Lord's eyes snapped open. As he stared up at the ceiling, unbidden thoughts rushed from his mind.
Flashback
Sesshoumaru tested the word on his lips, “cancer.” Coming from his mouth, the word seemed to seethe poisonous intent. He looked questioningly to the girl before him. “I've given you no reason to believe me on this Sesshoumaru. All you have is my word that I wasn't born in this time, and that I was born 500 years in the future.
Silence fell over the two of them, neither knowing what to say to the other. Finally, Sesshoumaru spoke up, the questions in his mind dropping from his lips. “What is this cancer? Is it from your time as well?” Kagome smiled sadly. “Cancer is a disease that can basically attack any part of your body. It can infect your bones, your lungs, and, in a case such as mine, your brain. There is no “cure” only treatment, and you don't always live.” Kagome's gentle voice quietly sifted through the room; Sesshoumaru could practically feel the depression the girl was falling into. “And the treatment, this Sesshoumaru guesses, are these little capsules you take at odd hours during the day?” Sesshoumaru addressed the miko, wanting to know more about the strange illness.
Kagome sighed. “This is one form, the less effective form. You see, Sesshoumaru, there are other treatments such as radiation or chemotherapy treatments. These treatments have a more likely chance of putting you into remission.” “Remission?” the inquisitive demon asked, seeming to want a further explanation on the subject. Kagome smiled, “Remission means you don't have the cancer in your body anymore. Though there is no guarantee it won't come back, if you achieve remission and hold it for five years, you are considered “cured.””
“Will you ever achieve this remission?” Sesshoumaru asked. Kagome shook her head, releasing a nervous chuckle, and studied her hands that were placed neatly in her lap. “As I said before, not everyone achieves remission. It really, all depends on your type of cancer, and the point of its discovery. The cancer in my brain was pretty far along before the doctors found it. I've always felt that I was running from the inevitable fighting the cancer, spending so much of my time in the hospital, when I knew I wasn't getting better. There comes a point in time where your tired and scared, and you can't run anymore.” Kagome chose that moment to look Sesshoumaru right in the eye, her honesty shining through her deep brown orbs. So entrapped in the desperation and hopelessness in the miko's eyes, he almost missedher last words. “I just couldn't run anymore. I-I didn't see the point.”
Author's Note:YAHOO! Another chapter is done! I'm so glad there are people out there that are enjoying the story!I really enjoy writingit! I hope to have another chapter out by the end of the week, oh, and did I ever mention how awesome my beta is? Well, if I didn't, I did now!