InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Until Death ❯ Rainy Day ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

I just want you to know that in most stories a demon's “beast” is unintelligent, but in my story, Sesshoumaru's beast is not only intelligent, but also, in some cases, the smarter half. lol
Disclaimer: Inuyasha's not mine…you know the rest…
“Dialogue”
Thoughts
Beast
Until Death
Rainy Day
Sesshoumaru's stoic expression never crumbled as he tucked the woman into her bed. In fact, his expression had stayed relax through the whole crisis. He replayed the memory over again in his mind as he blew out the remaining candle lit in the room and strolled out into the hallway without a hitch in his step at the complete lack of light.
He remembered Rin, and even Jaken's, worried appearances as they told him of Kagome's disappearance from the gardens while playing a game. They were both out of breath after climbing numerous flights of stairs in such a hurry, but Rin's words tumbled out of her mouth in such a flurry, it took Sesshoumaru a minute to relate any meaning to what she had said. After a few questions, his body took action. He got to his feet and headed straight for the gardens, not entirely sure this “disappearance” was what the child made it appear to be. Within minutes of stepping into the gardens he located Kagome's distorted stench. He found her, asleep, beneath a decorative bridge, small wisps of raven black hair clung to her sweaty face. She looks so…peaceful, yet fragile, like glass. Sesshoumaru though as her body shifted in her sleep. He thought of waking her, but even the hardened Lord couldn't make himself do it.
Gently, so as not to wake her, he gathered her slight form into his arms. With her body pressed close to his, he could feel her shivering through the material of the kimono, and he didn't hesitate to pull her closer in pursuit to keep her warm. Pushing himself fluidly to his feet, he made his way back to the castle, ignored the child's excited shouts, and took Kagome to her room, leaving her to sleep.
He now stood outside the closed door, listening to her gentle, even breaths as she inhaled…exhaled, and repeated the process over and over again. Reluctantly, he turned away, his mind only eased by the thought that he was only a few doors away.
Even as he took his place behind the large, wooden desk, he couldn't put his mind to ease. He knew something was up. I have loathed mans' existence for as long as I have lived, the only exception being Rin, who has proved her worth to me. Why should I have feelings for my half brother's wench?
Because he's not your half brother's wench anymore and she proved herself by saving Rin. Her sacrifice was selfless, not many of her kind, or ours, can boast the same. A voice prodded in the very back of Sesshoumaru's mind. The youkai growled in annoyance, but he knew that part of him was right. This girl interested him because she was one of a kind. Never had he met anyone like her before, and it was doubtful he would ever again. And besides, her spiritual powers are immense. She hides the bulk of it and I'm still sensing great power. It's a shame she's so close to death. Speaking on such a note, I'll have to keep my eye on her. It seems like someone with energy, such as Rin, can be a little too much for someone in her situation. She'd never voice her discomfort openly… Sesshoumaru's mind wandered as he began to drift off into sleep.
It wasn't long before the last candle was blown out; the last servant lay down to sleep; and a dreamlike silence stole over the castle. The only sound to be heard was the wind blowing forcefully against the castle and the pitter-patter of raindrops as a subtle storm stole over the land.
“Oh man!” Rin shouted in frustration as she took her first glance out the window of her room. It was well into the morning, and the rains of the night had yet to cease. The youth sat slouched unhappily in a large padded chair, her hand balled into a tight, tense fist and pressed to her cheek as she stared forlornly out at the soppy scenery that stretched, seemingly forever, before her eyes.
“What's wrong Rin?” Kagome, who was already dressed in yet another kimono, asked as she studied the countenance of the girl before her. Rin sat back in the chair; a frown extended across her childish face, and she crossed her arms insolently over her chest. “I hate the rain. It means I can't go into the garden and play. It means we have to stay in the castle and find something to do inside.” Kagome almost laughed at the way Rin spat out the last word, almost as if it was dirty, or bad. “Now Rin, there are plenty of things to do inside. It doesn't have to be a bad thing.” Kagome said, barely suppressing a giggle. She turned her back on the girl, contenting herself with digging through Rin's chest of clothes. “It doesn't?” Rin asked, perking up slightly. Kagome turned, once again, towards her, a smile on her face, a folded kimono slung over her right arm. “Of course! You know, the ground, and all of the plants growing out of it, need the rain to live. Humans live partially off the plants in the ground, so without the rain, humans wouldn't be able to survive so vibrantly!” Kagome explained, walking over to where Rin sat, and crouching on the ground beside her. Rin smiled, “I guess the rain isn't so bad,” She said thoughtfully, “but what can we do all day?”
Kagome handed the child the clothes and got back to her feet,”Don't worry about that; I have everything planned. If you don't get dresses though, we'll be late for breakfast.”
Kagome helped the bouncing child into her kimono, fixed her hair into a satiny purple bow that matched the girl's kimono of Kagome's choice, and led her down the stairs and into the dining hall where Sesshoumaru was waiting patiently at the head of the table.
Sesshoumaru, who was writing something on a thick scroll, dropped the quill as the women arrived. He noted, with his quick glance at Rin, that she wasn't upset about the rain as usual. No, instead, she seemed rather pleased, if not eager, to further her day. An animated smile lit her face as she skipped into the room and situated herself on her chair, Kagome close in tow.
As the meal progressed in silence, Sesshoumaru couldn't contain his curiosity Rin arose with her sudden change in her weather-induced mood. “Surely, Rin, you have noticed it is raining. What do you and Kagome have in mind for the day?” he asked, his fluid tone sounding nonchalant, something he pulled off with ease.
Rin grinned, flashing a fleeting glance at Kagome before thrusting her excited gaze at her Lord. “Rin isn't sure yet. Kagome won't tell her. She says it's a surprise.” She said in a telltale tone, her voice oozing pent up anticipation. Sesshoumaru fought the smirk that threatened to break free across his face. He knew how hard it had to be for Rin to sit and eat without fidgeting. He turned to the miko, who had barely even picked at her meal. “Tell me miko; what are your plans for the day?”
Kagome stifled a giggle as she faced the youkai lord, “I'm sorry, but I can't reveal that information.” She said as calmly as she could manage. The lord looked at her incredulously, unsure if he had heard her properly, though he didn't allow his calm façade slip even for a moment. “Is that so?” he shot back, staring at the miko in what appeared to be amusement. Kagome gave him a slight nod, a smile playing on her lips. Little did she know, the game was set.
Silence permeated the huge dinning hall, the only sound to be heard was the pitter pattering of raindrops on the roof. It was only a matter of minutes before Rin scarfed down the remainder of her food and turned to Sesshoumaru for permission to leave. With only a slight nod for a response, Rin giggled and shot out of her chair, unable to contain her excitement and pent up energy. Kagome gracefully got to her feet, bowed timidly to Sesshoumaru, and upon grabbing the child's hand, left the room.
When supposedly out of earshot, Kagome turned to Rin, “Okay Rin, we have to go get something from my room before we can start. I have the whole day planned; you're going to love it!” Kagome said, skipping down the hall in tune with Rin, their arms linked and faces lit with glee. Kagome only stopped in the room long enough to scoop her possessions hastily into her bag. Throwing it haphazardly over her shoulder, she smiled even wider at Rin before leading her out of the room and back towards the ballroom.
Kagome's mouth hung open with awe as she stumbled into the ballroom. The open tiled area alone must have been as large as a football field, at least! She dumped her bag on the ground and without thought, sunk down on her knees without a thought, or any memory of doing so. Gathering her dignity, Kagome closed her mouth and once again brought her attention back to Rin, who, at this point, was running around in circles, staring up at the ceiling, mouth agape, arms outstretched, and with a sigh, Kagome knew she should start.
“Okay Rin, are you ready to start?” Kagome asked, finally getting Rin's attention. The anxious child gave Kagome her full attention, placing her small body before the woman, her attention never wavering. Kagome crossed her arms, a smile playing on the corners of her mouth. “Okay Rin, Sesshoumaru does a lot of things for you, doesn't he?” Kagome approached the project step by step, wanting the child to fully understand what she would be doing. Rin nodded enthusiastically, her head bobbing up and down in a blurred movement. Kagome's smile widened, her confidence in what they were going to do increasing exponentially. “Good. Don't you think it's about time you do something for him?” Rin nodded slowly, trying to figure out for herself what was planned. By now Kagome's smile had reached her eyes, slightly crinkling the skin around them; her cheeks were stained a healthy, rosy pink. “But what can Rin do for Sesshoumaru-sama?” Rin asked, the excitement in her eyes merging with confusion.
Kagome cleared her throat, well aware that the simple sound echoed around the room, almost sounding like a growl. “Well, I was thinking we could prepare a dinner for him, nothing fancy, but just something to let him know we, rather you, care.” Kagome blushed unmercifully at her mistake. Since when did I start caring for the ice lord? She thought to herself as the red forced on her cheeks receded. Since he saved you from his sorry excuse of a half brother. Her mind retorted. Kagome focused her thoughts on the project at hand, finding it hard to do so. “Okay Rin. I have a device here that generates music. When I put this shiny disk inside,” she showed Rin the disk and inserted it in the player, “ and I hit this button,” she pushed the play button, “as long as it is plugged into these speakers, you can hear the music playing.” Sure enough, the soft, lilting sound of a violin reached their, followed instantly, by the sounds of a piano. Rin stared at the simple, metal contraption in awe, her hand reaching out reflexively, to touch the cold, smooth surface. “We will put this in the dinning room when dinner time approaches; I know it will soothe his nerves after a long day in his study. Now,” she put the CD player back in her bag and tied the fraying strings to hold the bag shut. “I think we should head to the kitchen and find something good for Sesshoumaru. Do you know what Lord Sesshoumaru likes to eat?” Kagome asked as the child led her in the direction of the kitchen.
Sesshoumaru sat within the confines of his study, staring, unseeing, at the paperwork before him. His quill, forgotten, was clutched in his hand, tangled between his fingers, poised over a piece of parchment that required his signature. Silence filled the room making it seem almost unbearable, but the lord noticed nothing as he was lost in his own stifled thoughts. I wonder what the miko has planned for my ward. He thought, unable to get his mind to focus on anything else. He growled in annoyance. She has been here not more than a few days and already she's changing things around here. But your ward has never been happier. His beast replied, seemingly entering his thoughts on the young miko for the first time. Sesshoumaru shifted uncomfortably. Why did his beast seem so smug…so content?
Sesshoumaru attempted to ignore the stray thought altogether, but the paper before him elicited no interest from him and his thoughts drew him back in. I feel calm around the miko. Why is this so? She is dying, and anyone tied to her will be drawn into her death. This Sesshoumaru refuses to show or feel anything but pity for her. I will not be drawn in… A laugh echoed within his mentality, telling Sesshoumaru otherwise. But you already have been. Your whole life you have chosen to detach yourself from those you care for. Did it ever occur to you that like any other being your heart is your most vulnerable organ and you can only do so much to protect it. You can wear armor, but even that is not impermeable; one day, even that, someone will breach.
Sesshoumaru brought himself to awareness, sensing the tiny steps walking his way down the hall, and poised his pen over the paper. He ran a quick knowing glance over the paper before signing it. He sighed, at least now he could go to bed with the consciousness that he had done something of use with his day, even if it only consisted of signing one measly paper, no one but him would know that fact. (Yes, even our Fluffy has an off day every now and then!)
He held his body with pride as Rin burst through the doors. Before she even said a word, Sesshoumaru knew something was up. “Sesshoumaru-sama, there is a surprise for you downstairs. Rin and Kagome ask that you come join us for dinner.” Rin asked, bowing her head as she finished her carefully rehearsed lines. Sesshoumaru fought a grin that threatened to grace his hardened features. Sesshoumaru bowed in return, placed his quill in the ink, and followed his ward down the steps. So the miko has planned some sort of surprise for me…
Sesshoumaru entered the room in silence, the unfamiliar, but pleasant, sound of gracing his sensitive youkai ears. A trio of candles lit the table, primarily where the three sat. Taking his head seat, Sesshoumaru was surprise that Rin, though smaller and lighter that the chair, pulled it out for him, a smile gracing her round face as she waited patiently for her lord to be seated before allowing herself to sit in her own customary chair.
It wasn't until then that Kagome entered the room, a light smile alight on her face. She had changed into a kimono that reached just above her knees, showing off her shapely calves. The kimono itself was a pristine white with a pinkish-red sakura blossom design wrapped around the bottom hem, trailing upward around her curvaceous waist. The sleeves were a little too long, only showing the tips of her fingers past the silky material. The cling of the material showed off her slightly too-thin, yet attractive figure, fitting her like no other. Her hair cascaded in layers down her back and across her shoulders, ending in slight blue-streaked curls. In her arms she carried the first dish of the night.
The meal was better than any Sesshoumaru could remember. As Rin scoured the last bits of food from her plate, she drew something from the folds of her kimono and upon climbing down from her chair, shuffled excitedly over to Sesshoumaru, hands held secretively behind her back. “Rin made Sesshoumaru-sama something.” Rin said, shyly. Se handed Sesshoumaru what appeared to be a piece of paper. Upon further investigation he noticed it was a picture. He recognized the colors of Rin's kimono on one stick figure, and his long, silver hair amongst the characteristics of a second figure. Sesshoumaru allowed himself a slight smile of pride towards the child. With a caress of Rin's head he showed his approval, but his eyes were trained on Kagome as the words slipped from his lips. “Thank you.”
Kagome gave a nod, her fatigue showing through her façade. It seemed all had had a tiring day, and it wasn't before long before the only sound to be heard was the pattering of the raindrops landing on the entirety of the castle.
A.N.: Hope you liked this chapter! It was kind of a filler…anyways, don't forget to review and rate!I love to know what ya'll are thinking!