InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Violation of Honor ❯ Chapter 34 – The Blood of Our History ( Chapter 34 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Violation of Honor

By Rinseternalsoul

**Disclaimer: I can only dream of having the money that Rumiko Takahashi makes off of her anime, Inuyasha. Me? I’m just a non-profit fanfiction author who adores the show and loves to write smut.

 

Chapter 34 – The Blood of Our History

A/N: This is it people! The chapter that you have all been waiting for. I hope that you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Thanks to everyone that reviewed last chapter!

My eternal gratitude to my friend and beta, Risa, for all of her hard work!


 

Inuyasha ducked around a rocky ledge and then worked his way back toward the village. The early morning hunt had been successful, and he was feeling a sense of contentment that he rarely experienced in life.

He left Saya, Shippo and the boy, Kenzi, sleeping in his hut when he crept out before daylight in order to track down enough meat to feed them. It was a surprise, at first, when Saya offered to take Kenzi as her own. The boy was still overwhelmed with the tragedy surrounding the murder of his mother. He would only speak when directly asked a question and his tears flowed at an irritating rate, causing Inuyasha to feel an uncomfortable tightness in his chest. Saya was patient and kind to the boy and hopefully she could help him overcome his grief.

She was a great woman—stronger than the normal human female. Her strength was not physical like with Sango or spiritual like in Kagome, it came from overcoming hardships that would have caused some people to give up. Saya was a fighter, and yet she was still sweet and caring. She needed someone to protect her so that she never had to suffer again. Inuyasha was sure that he was the one meant to do that.

Kikyo taught him to look past his own wants. She taught him the love of a woman. She also taught him the utter despair wrought from the ultimate betrayal. She taught him grief and she taught him acceptance. Kagome taught him to trust and she taught him complete, unconditional loyalty. She taught him that there were things in the world worth fighting for and that love was not an evil word only used by the weak. What would Saya teach him? Where would their budding relationship take them?

A smile curled Inuyasha's lips as he trudged along. He already knew that wherever Saya took him would be a sweet smelling and welcome place where he would find comfort and a reason for living. Even now he felt needed. It made him feel protective of her. He wanted to make her happy and enjoy her pretty smile.

Knowing that she can now see him generates a feeling of warmth in his chest wholly unexpected. He had hated her blindness. It made him ache for her in a way that he didn't understand. His chest felt such sorrow at the thought of her lovely eyes never beholding the beauty of nature, or his face as he spoke to her, or even the faces of their future offspring. Wait...what was he thinking? Children? Did he really wish to make Saya his mate? Was that where these feelings were leading him?

Protecting a pack member was one thing, but taking a mate was something he had not truly considered before. He had often dreamed of making Kikyo his mate, but that was always tainted by her wish for him to become completely human. The image of it never solidified because he could never quite picture himself in a human body for the rest of his life.

Once, he had actually considered the idea of mating Kagome, but that did not last long. The two of them were often at odds despite their strong feelings for one another, and besides, memories of Kikyo relentlessly haunted them at every turn.

With Saya he had no reservations. She knew what he was and she accepted him. She did not wish to make him human, and she didn't care that his father was a full-blooded youkai. His past was behind him and hers as well. Saya wasn't the type to argue with him over every little thing, yet she wouldn't let someone trample her beliefs. She knew what it was like to be vulnerable and alone, and she saw a kindred spirit in him. She needed someone to protect her—to love her.

Inuyasha made up his mind. He was definitely the man to take care of Saya, and he would ask her to be his mate.

As soon as Inuyasha stepped from the brush and into the village, he spotted something that set his temper on edge. He stalked over to the oblivious figure and shouted, "Oi wench! What the hell do you think you are doing? You'll tear your wound open!"

Sango jumped and nearly fell off the flat stump where she had perched in order to sharpen her weapon. She turned to Inuyasha with irritation. "Inuyasha, you nearly scared me to death!"

"Never mind about that, woman. Why are you risking further injury to your arm? This shit could wait."

Sango shook her head and carefully laid down her sharpening instrument. She reached over and began rolling up her sleeve. "Calm down, Inuyasha. See, it's all better."

Inuyasha's mouth fell open, and he dropped the small deer that he had been carrying over his shoulder. He leaned closer to Sango and stared at the faint, pink mark where a gaping wound used to be. "That's...impossible."

Sango shrugged, poking at the healed wound before turning a smile on her friend. "I guess it wasn't as bad as you thought."

"No fucking way am I believing that." Inuyasha reached out and gently pushed against the soft skin. He shook his head in disbelief. "Seriously, Sango, this is impossible for a human. I saw it when it was fresh. I carried you here. The wound was bad. I saw the bone and even if I didn't, it wouldn't be healed this quickly. Just last night it was a bad cut. Now it is completely healed."

Sango exhaled and felt a shudder of unease creep up her spine. It was just like she thought but was too afraid to acknowledge. "I don't really understand it myself." She looked up and met Inuyasha's concerned expression. "I've never healed this quickly before. I knew that it was strange, but how can I explain it?"

Inuyasha stood up when a familiar voice interrupted their conversation. "I think I know what's happening." He turned a sharp, disapproving eye on Shippo when the fox stepped out of the shadows near the corner of Sango's hut. "Damn it, Shippo! What have I told you about that!"

Shippo chuckled and winked at Inuyasha. "I'm getting better with that shielding spell. You didn't see OR smell me that time, Inuyasha."

Inuyasha grunted, impressed, but equally irritated. He hated it when the runt got the better of him. "Well, what's your take on this?"

Shippo squatted down next to Sango and inspected the healed wound before relaying his theory. "I believe that it has something to do with the red dust from Asuza's amulet. I mean, look what happened to Kagome. Even Miroku seemed to be changed. Maybe it affected more than just those with spiritual powers? Maybe it affected all of the humans?"

Sango looked at Shippo—her eyes full of concern. "What are you saying? That I am...different now?"

Shippo nodded. "It's obvious that you are healing far faster than normal. Maybe the amulet has given you some sort of power over death?"

"You mean, like immortality?"

Before Shippo could say anything, Inuyasha grunted disapprovingly. "I doubt that."

"You explain it then, Inuyasha," Shippo replied. "See for yourself. The proof is right here before your eyes. Sango was mortal. She might have been killed by a wound that bad but her body fought it, healed it overnight, and now she's fine. If this happens every time she gets wounded, then her life will be prolonged. If she gets sick and her body treats the illness, then that will also prolong her life. Maybe she isn't immortal, but her life span will continue long after it normally would have."

Inuyasha breathed in deeply and released it slowly in order to calm himself. This was too much to take in. "Feh, I've got a deer to clean."

Sango watched Inuyasha stomp off before turning to Shippo. What if it was true? What if she had somehow gained some form of immortality?

Inuyasha's thoughts were nearly as strained as Sango's. He could not help but think of the other humans that had been subjected to the red jewel dust. Saya in particular, but also Rin, as well as Uchuu's wife, Lady Sumiho. Had they all been changed from the dust? How could they find out?

"Inuyasha."

Too late he realized his mistake. With Sango's revelation, he had been too absorbed in his thoughts to sense the danger. He looked up from the half-skinned carcass and steeled his features, hiding his surprise. "What the hell do you want, Sesshomaru?"

Sesshomaru stepped further out of the trees, never removing his eyes from Inuyasha. The answer to his brother's question was simple, requiring only one word. "Kagome."

Inuyasha dropped the bloodied deer hide and shook off the residue from his claws. He stood to his full height and glared at Sesshomaru. The guy was fucking delusional. Sesshomaru actually thought that he would just hand Kagome over to him? "Forget it, Sesshomaru. I told you before that I'm not letting you take Kagome."

"It is not your choice," Sesshomaru replied. He took a second to look around the area, surreptitiously sniffing the air, filtering out the stench of deer blood as well as Inuyasha’s. Kagome's scent was faint. Too far gone. He determined that she had not been in the village for some time. This was very upsetting for the taiyoukai.

Sesshomaru turned a narrow-eyed glare on Inuyasha. "Where is she?"

Inuyasha gave a sarcastic chuckle and shook his head. "You just don't get it, do you? I'm not telling you where she is. I won't allow you to take her!"

The swords were drawn before a blink of an eye. A harsh metallic 'ping' was heard as Tetsusaiga met Tenseiga. The powerful blades sang with recognition, making it hard to control their direct contact. Inuyasha shoved at Sesshomaru and the taiyoukai countered, sending the both of them flying back several feet.

Sesshomaru was beyond frustrated. His temper was swelling with each passing minute that he was separated from Kagome. He had to find her soon! "Tell me where she is!"

Inuyasha was surprised at the display of emotion his normally stoic brother portrayed. It seemed like Sesshomaru really was desperate to know where Kagome was—his frustration even more evident now than long ago when he fought for ownership of Tetsusaiga.

In the village, Shippo spotted Rin running toward him. He had only just enough time to feel his heart soar with delight before realizing that she was very upset.

"Shippo-kun! Please come quickly! It is Lord Sesshomaru and Inuyasha! They are fighting again!"

Shippo redirected the chaste kiss he planned, instead pulling her into quick, comforting hug. "Don't worry, Rin, we will try to talk some sense into them." He looked over his shoulder and Sango nodded her agreement. She had her boomerang strapped to her shoulder and a look of determination on her face.

"Let's go!"

Saya heard the commotion and ran out of the hut. She called after them, but they didn't hear her in their rush. She quickly instructed Kenzi to stay inside and then hurried after the others. Something was wrong with Inuyasha. She just knew it!

Sesshomaru flew back, gracefully landing with his feet against the wide trunk of a tree. Without halting the flow of motion, he transferred the momentum within his strong legs, using it to push away and flip over Inuyasha's head, striking downward as he passed before landing squarely on the ground.

Never removing his eyes from the target, Inuyasha met the descending arch of Sesshomaru's blade, successfully blocking the hit. As soon as his half-brother landed, Inuyasha rushed him, holding the Tetsusaiga up over his shoulder with the intent of landing a blow against the shoulder, close to his neck.

Inuyasha had grown faster in the years since he first acquired Tetsusaiga, but still not fast enough to beat him. Sesshomaru dodged the slash and successfully planted his elbow in Inuyasha's kidney when he passed. Inuyasha grunted with the pain then stumbled, which gave Sesshomaru the perfect opportunity to finish him. That, however, was not his intention. He did not want Inuyasha dead. He only wanted to know Kagome’s whereabouts.

Inuyasha recovered quickly, skidding to a halt and regaining his balance. He spun and jumped, leaping into the air with a battle cry. Sesshomaru leapt to meet his sword, neither of them gaining the upper hand.

"Inuyasha!"

Inuyasha heard Sango yelling his name, but ignored her. Sesshomaru was too dangerous to allow a distraction. Inuyasha went down, spinning into a squat while using the rotation to build speed in the swing of his blade. He cursed when Sesshomaru jumped. Tetsusaiga swept harmlessly beneath his booted feet.

Sango shouted his name again, this time approaching dangerously close to the ongoing battle. Inuyasha was forced to dodge Sesshomaru's sword, a risk he could have avoided had Sango not been so damn near. "Crazy wench! Get the hell out of here!"

Sango was pissed and tired of Inuyasha's ridiculous hold on Kagome. She knew Kagome was the reason Sesshomaru had come here, and it was time Inuyasha accepted that she did not belong to him. Not any more!

"Inuyasha! Stop it! You can't force Kagome to stay with you by fighting Sesshomaru!"

"The fuck I can't!" To emphasize his statement, Inuyasha slammed into his brother, meeting shoulder to shoulder with swords raised and metal grinding.

"Baka! Kagome is in love with him! You can't keep them apart!"

The statement was enough to knock the air out of his lungs. The pain of hearing it was almost as horrible as having Sesshomaru shove a fist through his chest. He knew that Sesshomaru was the youkai that had aided Kagome's escape from Asuza's dungeon. He knew that Sesshomaru had suffered painful torture while imprisoned there, and that the two of them had formed some sort of bond...but love? Kagome loved Sesshomaru?

Sesshomaru stood across from him, awaiting his reaction, seemingly unsurprised by Sango’s announcement. The acceptance of it was clear in his eyes. Sesshomaru knew that Kagome felt this way...and he wanted it.

Paralysed with dread, Inuyasha’s grip weakened and Tetsusaiga fell, stabbing into the ground. Could this be true? He thought back to the battle with Asuza. He remembered Kagome calling out Sesshomaru's name. He remembered the embrace after Asuza used his brother to try and kill her. They had clung to one another...

"No!" It was too much to take! Not Sesshomaru! She couldn't love him! Gods...of all the humans and demons in the world—not Sesshomaru!

"It's true, Inuyasha! Kagome told me about him back in YoKaishi! She didn't know at first, but she suspected he was the youkai from the dungeon. She became convinced it was him, and now I believe it is true! Ask him, Inuyasha! Ask him yourself! Ask Sesshomaru if he loves her!

Inuyasha turned the full force of his raging emotions on Sesshomaru. But his brother was unmoved. Typical of the bastard. To Inuyasha, Sesshomaru thought himself above the battle, and he most certainly had no time for anything so trifling and shallow as the quaint notion of love.

Breathing heavily now, not from the fight, but from the thought of his world crashing down around him, Inuyasha took one step forward and growled. "Fine. Sesshomaru, you know how I feel about Kagome. You know that I swore to protect her with my life. Hell, you were one of the assholes that I was protecting her from! So now you have decided you want her! Her status has risen from enemy to..." the word choked in his throat, but Inuyasha finally managed to spit it out, "mate. You want me to step aside and let you claim her. Well, if that's true, then you're going to have to admit it."

Inuyasha settled into a relaxed stance, giving Sesshomaru a knowing smirk. He was sure that his anal-retentive brother would never say the words. "Admit to us that you love Kagome. You who turned your back on your only brother when he was just a child! You who let our father die because you were too proud to accept his love for a human woman! If you want Kagome, then by the Gods, you WILL open your mouth and state your claim now!"

Sesshomaru glared at his irate little brother. The boy's temper was nothing new and his loyalty to Kagome steadfast. It was understandable that Inuyasha wanted assurance of his intentions, but an open declaration of his love? Sesshomaru looked around at the faces staring at him. Not only Inuyasha, but the demon slayer, the silk spinner, the fox boy, Rin and even a very stunned Jaken. All of them were staring at him, waiting for his next move.

He was a private man. His emotions always kept tightly restrained, as it was imperative for one of his station. Only through Asuza's hell had his emotions been unleashed. Only then had his heart lay bare. Now, here, in front of people that he considered strangers, Inuyasha expected him to admit something that he had only recently managed to accept himself?

Inuyasha was an obstacle to gaining Kagome. He would never have her completely until Inuyasha let her go. He was not ignorant to the importance the half-breed played in her life. Yes, she would fight Inuyasha to leave, but it would break her heart to do so. She would not be happy until the two of them were at peace.

He would not give her up. Sesshomaru had come here to retrieve and claim her as his mate. It was something that he was not willing to delay any longer. He needed her by his side.

It was clear to him that in order to have Kagome with him, and for her to be happy, he was going to have to appease Inuyasha.

Sesshomaru sheathed his sword and gave Inuyasha a slight nod. He steeled himself against the urge to close up emotionally and continue the physical fight. This was what he had to do in order to make Kagome his mate...his bride. He straightened his back, even more than the rigid norm, and opened his mouth. Surprisingly, the words came easier than expected.

"This Sesshomaru does, indeed, love the miko Kagome. It is not an emotion that one such as I am overly familiar with; however, if it means pain from being apart and longing for her smile, then it is most certainly love. If it is fear that she may be harmed and joy from her scent, then yes, Inuyasha, I, Sesshomaru, love Kagome."

Not a sound was heard as those standing in the misshapen circle absorbed the truth of Sesshomaru's confession. Inuyasha was stunned into silence. He was shaken to his core. His arrogant asshole of a brother had actually admitted his feelings in front of everyone. He didn't think he would do it. Inuyasha never expected Sesshomaru to actually say the words.

He finally blinked, breaking the hypnotizing shock of Sesshomaru's public declaration. It was then that he saw the pathetically dreamy looks on the faces of Rin, Saya and even Sango. Shippo was still staring at Sesshomaru with his mouth hanging open, and Jaken was passed out on the ground, groaning as if he were in pain.

It was then that Inuyasha's guard went back up. Unexpectedly, another male—one unfamiliar to him—stepped through the foliage. He was strange looking, appearing to be half-human but didn't smell like a youkai hanyou. In his arms he held Kirara and was talking to her as if they were long time acquaintances. Sesshomaru was forgotten for the moment as Inuyasha raised his sword to the newcomer. "Put Kirara down!"

Sango cried out with both concern and happiness to have her feline companion home. "Kirara! You are back!" Immediately, the small firecat leaped from the unknown man's arms and ran to her mistress. Sango picked Kirara up and nuzzled her cheek against the firecat's soft fur. "I missed you."

Sesshomaru ignored Inuyasha and Shin, as his interest was solely focused on the firecat. While the village and its inhabitants only held a faint scent of Kagome—a soft trace that spoke of her presence long gone—the firecat was different. Kagome's scent was strong on the animal. Sesshomaru knew without a doubt that the cat had been with her recently.

"Where is Kagome?"

Before Inuyasha could confront the male that seemed to be accepted by Sesshomaru and his pack, his brother had moved perilously close to Sango. Sesshomaru's question was directed at her, not him, and that put Sango in a world of danger. He moved to her side as quickly as possible, holding Tetsusaiga out in warning. "Get away from her, Sesshomaru."

Sesshomaru tamped down the irritation at his brother's interference and the stupidity of his ongoing fear. He supposed he couldn't blame him, as he had not been very friendly toward Inuyasha and his pack in the past. "I mean her no harm. I merely wish to know where the feline has taken Kagome."

Sango was amazed at Sesshomaru's perception, but it didn't impress Inuyasha. He knew that Sesshomaru picked up Kagome's scent on Kirara. It was easy enough to detect. The problem now was where to go from here. Inuyasha had Sesshomaru's confession. His normally stoic, reserved, and often brutally violent, half-brother had proclaimed his love for Kagome. Inuyasha had Sango's claim that Kagome returned Sesshomaru's...affection. Inuyasha gagged on the thought. 'Gods, that is hard to believe.'

So, what happens now?

Of course it was up to him. He had to open the way. He had to accept their relationship and allow Kagome a chance for happiness. Would she leave him, never to return? Could he live without her in his life? Inuyasha ruthlessly shoved those doubts aside. Kagome deserved to be happy. He wanted her to be happy. He never expected for her to find it with Sesshomaru. Now that he knew the truth, Inuyasha would have to be man enough to let Kagome go.

"If you hurt her, Sesshomaru, I swear on our father's grave that I will not stop until you are dead!"

Sesshomaru said nothing to Inuyasha's warning. He understood his half-brother's need to continue an extension of protection to the miko. After all, Kagome was special and one could not help but to want to keep her safe. It was Inuyasha's next words that Sesshomaru did not expect to be offered.

"We ran into some trouble on the way here. Miroku said he knew a place where Kagome would be safe from Nobunaga's soldiers. He took Kirara and said that he would send her back as soon as they were safe. Kirara is the only one that knows where Kagome is. She is supposed to return for Miroku tomorrow. We can follow her then."

It was the truth. Sesshomaru sensed no lie. It was not exactly what he wanted to hear, but considering Inuyasha's acquiescence to his recent claim on Kagome, Sesshomaru was reluctant to voice his concerns. Instead, he turned to the mysterious newcomer and said, "Shin, go and gather wood for a fire. We will camp here tonight and leave at dawn."

Inuyasha, Sango, Saya, and Shippo turned to the male with comparable looks of surprise. "Shin the dragon?"


 

Kagome jumped out of her bedroll and scrambled to make herself presentable while Miroku waited in the room next to hers. Her thoughts were racing with the implications of their location. Mount Hiei of all places! Gods, what possessed Miroku to bring her here? What in the heck was he thinking? Mt. Hiei!

After straightening her hair with the little hand fashioned bone comb that she kept in the hem of her sleeve, Kagome was ready to leave. From what Miroku told her, the mountain was already under siege. That was bad news. Bad, bad news! Gods, it was just her luck to be stuck on Mt. Hiei when one of the biggest historical battles of Japan is to take place. What would they do if they couldn't get away in time?

No. She couldn't think of that now. She had to stay focused on one thing at a time. First thing on the list: get off of this mountain!

She was tempted to tell the monks what she knew. It was a dangerous lure that could save thousands of lives. All she would have to do is go to the head priest and tell him the truth. He might not even believe her, but then again, he might. If he did accept the truth, then he could evacuate the monastery. Not everyone would make it, but at least some would. Unfortunately, she couldn't do that. She couldn't say anything. If she did, then it could change the future in unimaginable ways.

Through her travels to Japan's past, Kagome had always tried to keep her participation in documented historical events to a minimum. She had little knowledge of space-time continuums, and the parametric specifications that determine the outcome of cause and effect went way beyond her comprehension. Her interference in historical events may likely change the future outcome. The ramifications were unsettling. It was too big of a risk! She had to keep the knowledge to herself.

That did not mean that she had to become one of the statistics of this battle.

"Miroku! Are you ready to go?"

Miroku met her at the door with a solemn look on his face. "Kagome, perhaps if you told me a little more?"

Kagome shook her head. "I told you, Miroku, I can't. It could change the future, and I simply cannot risk it."

Miroku sighed heavily. The fate of these good people weighed heavily upon him. He wanted to help them, but Kagome was right. Her knowledge could endanger the future. In a worse case scenario, it could even rule out her birth. Where would they all be if Kagome were never born? It was too much to consider in detail—something more suited for pondering over a slow burning fire on a quiet night. He had a feeling, however, that no amount of thought would ever truly answer all of the questions.

"Must we leave right now?" Miroku asked. He was unsure that this would even be possible. From what the monks told him earlier, the Oda soldiers had them surrounded and were continually gathering in force. It might already be too late.

Kagome stopped and turned to him with a serious look. "To be honest, I don't remember the exact dates, but I do remember studying the event itself. If Oda Nobunaga's soldiers have lain siege to Mt. Hiei, then my guess is that we are here at the absolute worst time possible." Kagome shook her head with a sad and desperate look in her eyes. She held out her hand and took Miroku's much larger one in her grasp. "You have to trust me on this, Miroku. We need to get off of this mountain as quickly and quietly as possible."

Miroku couldn't speak and he couldn't move. While Kagome continued to move her lips, speaking to him of the terrible event that would unfold, he could not even hear. As soon as she had touched his hand, he was bombarded with a floodgate of her emotions. Fear. It was the most predominant of them all. Though outwardly she seemed anxious, yet calm and calculating, on the inside Kagome was terrified. Her fear was so strong that it nearly blinded him to anything else. He was frozen to the spot.

"Miroku? Are you listening to me? Miroku?" Kagome asked, at first irritated and then concerned. She leaned in closer to his face that had suddenly gone pale. Sweat was forming on his brow and his eyes held a hunted look. "Miroku, are you okay?"

When she released his hand to reach up and touch his face, the onslaught was abruptly ended. Miroku jerked back away from her, avoiding her touch and shaking his head from side to side. He opened his mouth to speak but the only thing that came out was a rather pathetic whimper. Immediately, Kagome came forward and tried once more to comfort him by reaching out. He quickly sidestepped, stumbling slightly and holding up his hands in a stopping gesture.

"What in the world is wrong with you? Are you sick?"

Finally, Miroku found his voice. "No." His breath, he noticed, was pained as he sucked in air like a man deprived. "It is you. You touched me."

Kagome's brows came together in a questioning gesture. "Jeez, I know I could use a bath, but I'm not that bad."

Her attempt to ease him with humor was lost in the frantic beating of his heart and the panic her emotions had let loose in him. "You don't understand. Since that day Asuza was killed, I have been able to feel the emotions of others just by touching them. I am unsure of how it happened, but it has. Just now, when you touched me, I felt everything that you are feeling on the inside. I felt your terror."

As his voice cracked on the final sentence, Kagome understood completely. She nodded and took a deep breath in an attempt to calm her own nerves. Panicking was not going to solve anything. She had to keep a level head. It was the only way that they would survive.

"I understand, and I'm sorry. I guess you see why I am in such a rush?"

A wry smile quirked a corner of Miroku's lips. The effect was far from reaching his violet eyes. With a sharp nod he replied, "Completely." That was all that needed to be said.

"Well, let's get moving then. We have to find a way out."

"Agreed."

Together they headed toward the path where Miroku entered the mountain sanctuary. On the way they noticed a great number of the monks, carrying weapons. It appeared that they had increased their guards as well. They had not, however, issued a word of alarm to the general populace. Young children still played in the streets while women did laundry near the flowing creek. Had he not known of the potential danger lurking, he would have thought it an average day.

Thankfully, they avoided suspicion until they reached the forest. Most of the people of the monastery were busy with their usual chores and had no time to notice the passing of one monk and a miko. It was going smoothly until they began descending the mountain using the trail. Without warning, they were surrounded.

"Where is it that you go, Monk Miroku?"

The second soldier looked from Miroku to the miko and then elbowed his companion. "It would seem that they are attempting to sneak away. Could it be that they are spies?"

"That's ridiculous!" Kagome snapped.

"Oh?" The first questioned. "Then why are the two of you attempting to follow this path? Does High Priest Konatsu know of your departure?"

Miroku stepped up and attempted to use his charm in saving them further questioning. "Honorable warrior, we are merely taking a walk to clear our minds."

A few chuckles of disbelief and Miroku knew that his ploy had failed. His suspicion was confirmed when the lead soldier walked up and grabbed the cuff of his robe pulling him up for a face to face glare. "Do you think us stupid, monk?" Thankfully, the grip avoided touching him anywhere but his loose clothes, saving Miroku from a barrage of the man's raging emotions.

"The Oda clan was unaware of this trail until you and that miko showed up. I am inclined to think that you might have led them to it."

"That is not true!" Miroku stated with rising anger. He reached up, grasping the man's arm, careful to avoid touching his skin, and successfully shoved the hold off.

"True or not, the fact is that the secret of this trail has been discovered, and the enemy is even now camped out at the bottom of our mountain. I have seen them myself. So tell me, monk, why would you walk down to join the soldiers of our greatest enemy?"

"That was not our intention," Miroku calmly offered, hoping to placate the men and ease their battle-tense nerves. It was obvious that they felt a major battle coming. They were edgy and suspicious. He was beginning to wonder if he and Kagome were going to have to use force to get away.

Perhaps honesty—at least to a certain point—would serve them better? Miroku chuckled and shook his head. "Well gentleman, it appears that you are too smart to be fooled." Miroku ignored the sharp jab of Kagome's elbow in his side and continued. Hopefully, she would see where he was going with this and follow along. "I suppose that I must be honest with you." Kagome was now giving him a look of disbelief. He prayed that she would not question him and spoil his lie.

"You see, Lady Kagome has been asleep since I brought her here and when she awakened, she was quite angry with me. As you can imagine, I was shocked that she was insistent upon leaving and even argued with her on the matter." He glanced at Kagome and was not too surprised to see a vein popping out from her temple. She looked like she was getting ready to kick him in the shin.

He quickly continued before she acted on the violent impulse, flashing in her angry blue eyes. He gave another chuckle and leaned forward as if this was a private matter of an embarrassing nature, which it was. He was sure that Kagome would beat him senseless for it. He just hoped that she would wait until they were well away from here. He cleared his throat, lowering his chin and eyes as if a bit ashamed, before glancing up. "Her answer was indeed one that I never expected from such a chaste young woman, but it seems that Kagome-sama was furious that I had taken her away from her lover, and she wished to be returned to him immediately."

The sound Kagome made from his side was much like a rat drowning in a river. He did not look at her because he was sure that she would kill him with her eyes. The soldiers were looking her over with renewed interest, but at least it was an interest different than that of a suspected spy. He was, however, surprised when the first warrior asked, "And who is the lucky man that holds the esteem of such a lovely woman?"

Miroku choked a moment and in his sudden panic looked down at the now beet-red Kagome. He could have sworn that he saw steam trickling from her ears. One eye was twitching and one brow was raised high, waiting for his answer. He could only blame it on the stress, for he said the first name that came to mind. "Lord Sesshomaru of the Western Lands."

Not only did Miroku hear the gurgle of Kagome's attempt to contain her groan of fury, but he also, in hindsight, realized that it might not have been such a good idea to use that name.

The soldiers renewed their look of animosity. "The demon lord? Do you mean that this miko is the bitch of a youkai?"

"Hey!" Kagome snapped. "I'm no bitch, and how dare you talk about me like I'm not even standing here. It's none of your business who my...lover is." Man that was a hard word to force out. She was a rather private person and was unused to being classified in such an amorous category.

Miroku had given her an entirely new meaning to embarrassment. She was going to kill him when she got him alone—if they got out of this alive.

The soldier remained unconvinced of her claim to privacy and respect. It seemed that youkai were not respected among the Tendai monks. He discounted her angry tirade and leaned forward in an attempt to dominate her. "You are worse than a whore. Even a human whore would not stoop so low as to fuck a demon."

Kagome's gasp of indignation came just before her hand connected hard against the man's cheek. He had not been expecting the show of temper; his head snapped to the side, displaying an angry handprint on his face. Immediately she realized her mistake. That was probably a really bad move.

Miroku quickly stepped around Kagome and protectively shoved her behind him. The violence on the soldier's face was giving him a bad feeling. He refused to let him harm Kagome. Miroku narrowed his eyes. He was no sohei warrior, but he knew his way around a battlefield. He was more than confident that he could take out at least three of them. He looked around and his heart skipped a beat. There were seven of them now. He quickly did the math. If he took three and Kagome was able to get passed one, then that still left three.

Surprisingly, the second monk had stepped forward and grasped the arm of their leader. "Ahm...see here. You would not do violence to a lady miko would you?"

The question sent a wave of relief through Miroku. At least they were not all so prone to violent intentions. He looked to the other monks and realized that only their leader seemed to be struggling with his control. Perhaps not all of them felt so strongly about human and youkai relationships?

Another monk stepped forward and grasped the leader's other shoulder. It was not an offensive gesture, merely one meant to calm the man down. "Think, Daichi. Our fight is against the Oda clan, not this woman. She is of no consequence."

Daichi visibly calmed and shook his head. He looked Kagome over with contempt but made no move to harm her. Instead he stepped back and gave an order that made both Miroku and Kagome cringe.

"Take them into custody. Spies or not, we cannot allow anyone to pass on or off of the mountain."

The men closed around them faster than they could fight them off. Their struggles were useless against the uneven odds. Without the luxury of using spiritual energy, Kagome and Miroku were reduced to fighting with simple human strength. With that they managed to overwhelm the group several times, but as soon as they took the last one down, the first had recovered enough to tackle them again.

"These two fight with an uncommon strength," One soldier panted as he struggled to hold a biting, scratching Kagome down.

"This one should have been recruited into our ranks. The bastard has blackened my eye!" Another growled as he secured Miroku's wrists while two others helped hold him down.

Finally realizing that the struggle was futile, Miroku went slack and looked over at the panting, dirty faced Kagome. She met his eyes, and he could see that she was uninjured but very upset over this turn of events. "I apologize, Lady Kagome. I have failed us both."

Kagome managed to dredge up a sad little smile. "Don't be ridiculous, Miroku. You did what you thought best. We will get out of this, somehow."

He wished that he could be so sure. In fact, Kagome was probably just trying to ease his feelings of guilt. Miroku decided not to dwell on it, for it would do them no good. Instead, he had to focus on a way for them to escape. After the soldiers pulled them to their feet, Miroku tested the bindings on his wrists but found them too tight to loosen. He continued to twist his hands in hopes that they would eventually give.

It seemed like no time at all before the two of them were forced into a storage room and the door firmly closed behind them. Apparently the monks didn't trust them to stay put either because they posted two guards outside of the room. Kagome walked over to a dusty wooden box and plopped down. "This sucks."

Miroku sighed and found a spot on the floor, sitting awkwardly with his hands tied behind his back. "I must agree with you, Kagome-sama. I have to admit, it never crossed my mind that they would assume us to be spies."

Kagome shrugged. "It's not your fault, Miroku. Although the whole excuse that I wanted to go to my lover was a little humiliating. Couldn't you have come up with something better than that? Something that wouldn't embarrass the life out of me?"

Miroku had the temerity to blush. "Sorry. It was the first thing that came to mind. I was not expecting them to accuse us of being spies, and it never crossed my mind to think up an excuse for our abrupt departure."

"Oh well, it doesn't matter now. We just need to think of a plan to get out of here."

Over three hours and two failed attempts later, Kagome and Miroku were brought some rice and water by monk Konatsu's assistant, Dyu-ku. Miroku took that opportunity to voice his anger of their treatment. Dyu-ku seemed to believe them, but he was helpless to sway the others.

"My apologies, Monk Miroku. Tempers are on edge, and the men are less amiable than usual. They feel trapped and anxious. Monk Konatsu has been informed of your plight, but he feels it would be a mistake to free you at this time. He sends his regards and urges you to be patient. He is working to calm the brethren and hopefully persuade them to release you soon. Until then, eat and relax. No harm will come to you here."

Under her breath, Kagome muttered, "That's what you think." She did not, however, bother trying to convince him differently. It was obvious that he would not betray the others. Dyu-ku had ordered they be cut free. Once he left, she and Miroku ate their meal in silence. Due to their freedom of movement, a third guard was added to patrol the perimeter of their little closet prison. Kagome wasn't sure that it was such a good trade after all.

She supposed it didn't matter at this point. They had already tried escaping twice and had been caught both times. The guards were not as dumb as they looked. Their plan had failed miserably before it really even got started.

Nightfall was coming on. Kagome could feel the temperatures dropping, and the guards had recently changed with three new men to keep them trapped 'safely' inside. Miroku was spread out on the floor, snoring softly, and her eyes were growing heavy with boredom. Would she make it out of this alive? She hoped so. She had really wanted to kiss Sesshomaru again—this time in the daylight with her eyes wide open.

When she opened her eyes again, it was to the sounds of screaming. Kagome immediately came to her feet and rushed over to shake Miroku awake. Outside of the building, they could hear shouting and horses. The all too familiar sounds of metal clanging against metal indicated sword fights. They started shouting for the guards to let them out, but no one answered their demands. Finally, Miroku stepped back to the far wall and slammed his shoulder into the thin door, easily busting it apart.

The guards that had been placed to watch them were nowhere around. "Looks as if we are no longer their greatest concern." He spotted his staff leaning in a corner and grabbed it up, finding a measure of comfort in the jingle of its metal rings.

Kagome bit her lip nervously and looked around. The building seemed vacant—everyone having fled outside. "I don't think that is good news, Miroku. From the sounds outside, they are under an all out attack."

"Come then. We must offer our aid!"

Kagome reached out and grabbed his sleeve. He met her eyes and she could see the determination there, yet beneath it there was grave concern. She knew her friend well, and Miroku was really worried. So was she. It was on the tip of her tongue to plead with him to run with her, but the words wouldn't come. She had never run from danger when she was needed and now was no different. After only a moment of consideration, she gave a curt nod of her head. "Let's go!"

Outside, chaos had erupted at the monastery. The morning sun was only a hint away but still too long in coming to aid the people running madly around. Soldiers with swords and naginata's ran this way and that, while women rushed along frightened and crying children, yet they seemed to have no idea which way to turn. Fires were blazing everywhere and in the shadow of the flames, they could see mounted soldiers cutting down anything and everything that moved.

"Buddha, give us strength," Miroku muttered as he beheld the scene. The fighting was quickly coming closer. The soldiers were pushing forward in droves. In minutes they would swarm the main buildings at the crest of the mountain, and it seemed there was nothing they could do to stop them. Obviously the attack had begun in the dark of night, catching the residents of Mt. Hiei off guard.

Miroku quickly turned and grabbed Kagome's hand. There was little they could do here. The battle had begun some time ago—much further down the mountain. Those that were left were filtering up to the shrines and temples. It appeared the women and children were seeking shelter there, and Miroku decided he could best serve these people by trying to protect the innocent. Kagome understood his intentions and raced along beside of him.

As soon as they reached them, Kagome grabbed a woman and shook her a little to snap her out of her hysterical state. "Listen to me! Do you know of a safe place to hide the children? Is there an underground tunnel or a cave?" To her frustration, the woman shook her head with a look of desolate despair in her eyes that made her want to cry. Kagome grabbed her close and hugged her. "We will pray that all is well!" She then pushed her back and asked, "Is there anyone here that might know of a secret place that some of you can hide?"

Understanding finally seemed to light the woman's fearful eyes and she pointed to an elderly woman near the back. "Tatsumi-sama might know!" Kagome dropped her hands and ran to the woman. She grabbed her and saw the shock and fear that seemed prevalent all around. She reached up and patted the old woman's cheek and tried to offer a hopeful smile. "Tatsumi-sama, do you know of a safe place to hide? A cave or tunnel that will be safe from the fires?"

Her eyes grew wide and for the first time that horrible morning, Kagome saw hope in someone's eyes. "Hai! There is a place...but the space is not big enough for everyone." And with that, Tatsumi-sama took Kagome from hope to despair in the space of a moment.

"How many?" Kagome urged.

A tear came to Tasumi's eyes as she looked around her, seeing friends and relations holding their crying children with little hope. "Perhaps four grown men."

"Oh," Kagome whispered with regret. It wasn't enough. They needed more space. It was what she had to work with, though. "Okay...four men...then it will probably hold seven or eight children. Grab some of the kids and take us there!"

Others were pushed into various buildings and some even attempted to flee into the wilderness around them. Kagome and Tatsumi pulled several children from their frightened mothers who were desperate for their children's safety. They gave them up reluctantly but eagerly with last kisses and sorrowful cries. Kagome held one little girl on her hip and led another by the hand. Tatsumi held two and Miroku pulled three behind them. They rushed through the insanity, avoiding the main streets as the Oda soldiers were beginning to filter into the main thoroughfare.

After what seemed forever, Tatsumi stopped at the end of a stone wall built next to a platform leading to the community well. She put the child she was holding into the arms of an older boy and then rushed to the side where there were several boards stacked haphazardly around several loose stones. Together, she and Miroku pushed the rubble aside.

Miroku stuck his head in and quickly looked over the cramped area. It was dark and tight but big enough to hide the children. He reached out and Kagome pushed the little girl into his arms. The boy went next, helping the child further inside. In minutes all the children were in the hideaway space, scrunched up and sniffling in terror. He tried to offer them comfort, but it was a useless gesture. The only thing that would comfort these poor children was their mother's familiar arms.

"We will stay and protect them," Miroku assured the older woman. Tatsumi bowed graciously and hurried back to the others. Miroku turned to Kagome and said, "There is just enough space for you to squeeze in. Go! Get inside and I will close it off!"

Kagome shook her head. "No! I won't hide and leave you to fight alone!"

"Kagome! There are too many of them! There is little hope. You told me yourself that the outlook in the battle is bleak. You must live! Please, get inside, now!"

"No! I won't do it!" Kagome shook her head and stood her ground. "Close it up, Miroku! Hurry, before someone sees them!"

Miroku was torn. He wanted to force her, but there was no forcing Kagome into anything that she did not wish to do. Finally, he shook his head in frustration and turned to seal up the hole. "You must be quiet, children," He urged. "No matter what you hear, until you are sure the danger is past, you must remain silent." He received a few nods from the oldest of the seven who clutched the younger, almost desperately.

"Come on, Miroku! We can't stand here. They will know we are trying to hide something!"

No sooner had they turned to run back toward the crowd, hoping to take a position not only to watch the hiding place but also to fight for their lives, a dozen wild eyed soldiers came bounding over the hillside. Their swords were raised in the air and their battle cries echoed against the burning buildings, surrounding them. Miroku said a prayer to Buddha and prepared to battle. The soldiers were ruthlessly cutting down every living thing. Kagome scrambled to a fallen sohei warrior and grabbed his discarded bow and quiver. She strapped it on and notched an arrow in the long bow.

Miroku knocked one soldier from his horse, clocking him over the head until he was unconscious. Another came up fast from behind and he was unable to avoid the oncoming blow. Kagome's arrow caught the man in the neck, sweeping him from the back of his mount in time to save Miroku from the sword.

The women battled with pans and rakes. All manner of tools were used in their attempt to thwart the enemy bearing down on them. More came. For every soldier that was taken down, it seemed two more took his place. Kagome ran out of arrows and had to scramble to another fallen warrior in order to scavenge more. She didn't think about the fact that she was killing men and not youkai. She blocked it all from her mind. She just kept fighting because that was all there was now.

Miroku screamed. Kagome turned with a cry. As if in slow motion, her friend fell to his knees. Blood pouring from his chest and a look of surprised horror spread over his face. He looked up from the wound and met her eyes. Kagome screeched his name, and Miroku tried to reach out to her but his effort fell short. She ran to him, pulling back to release an arrow into the man that brought her beloved friend down. The soldier had just jerked the sword from Miroku's back when Kagome let the arrow fly. It hit the mark, right in the man's right eye. He screamed and fell back, but it was already too late. Miroku was not getting up.

"Miroku!" She fell to her knees and grabbed his shoulder pushing him to the side and pulling his face toward her. "Miroku, please! Don't leave me!"

Miroku gave her a wary, pain-filled smile and blinked his violet eyes slowly. "Ka...gome." His breath was ragged and it seemed almost impossible to form the words against the blinding pain. "Kagome, please...tell Sango..." He broke off, choking, coughing up blood. "Tell her...that she...was my entire...world. My love...my...wife."

His hand went suddenly limp in hers, and Kagome felt the pressure of it all bearing down on her with unbelievable force. The grief and the terror were nearly enough to knock the breath out of her. "No! Miroku...no..." The tears filled her eyes, and she quickly brushed them away. She had to fight! She had to survive! She would not die on this hellish mountain!"

"There's my girl."

Kagome blinked and scrambled to her feet. Before she managed to get up completely, a soldier grabbed her bow and tossed it aside. She struggled uselessly against his strength but couldn't force him to let her go. She looked toward the familiar voice that spoke and spat her disgust. Oda Nobunaga stood there grinning, covered in blood from the battle and looking all the world like the fearsome daimyo of myth and legend.

It was easy to see now why he was so feared. He was heartless, ruthless. He took what he wanted by destroying everything in his path. It mattered not who he had to kill or how horribly they suffered. Oda Nobunaga would have his way.

"My dearest Kagome. I have been looking everywhere for you."

"Well, you've found me. Now, why don't you let these innocent people go?" She prayed that with her surrender, he would have mercy on those left alive. If she went willingly, he might let them live.

He laughed. "Do you think that I became the leader that I am by letting those that have crossed me escape my wrath?" Nobunaga held out his hands, indicating the devastation all around them. Women screamed as swords plunged into their bodies, and their innocent children gurgled their last breath. "These people have warred against me, Kagome. They sought to destroy me and bring my empire down. I cannot allow them to live." He stepped closer and slowly dragged a blood-soaked glove over her cheek. She twisted violently to escape the touch, and he chuckled at her insolence. "You, however, are not my enemy. You, lady Kagome, have healed me. Now I need you to heal me in other ways. Together, we will be unstoppable."

His obvious implication made Kagome shudder. Did he actually think that she would sleep with him, join with him in his reign of terror? "Never!"

Nobunaga merely chuckled and grabbed the reins of his horse from one of his men, before easily swinging up in the saddle. "Never say never, my sweet."

To be so short, Kagome was amazed at how strong he was. In seconds he had snatched her from the ground and secured her against him. She screamed and fought, kicking and trying to bite him, but he held her firmly in place. "I hate you! I will never stay with you!"

Nobunaga leaned in close to her ear and drew in a long deep breath against her neck. "Oh, you will stay, pretty miko. You will stay, whether you want to or not." He pulled back abruptly, snatching the reins of his black horse until the beast reared, pawing the air with his hooves, before slamming into the ground and breaking into a run

Nobunaga had his prize and he had finally eliminated the Tendai monks of Mt. Hiei. It was glorious victory. One that ran red with blood, but one that would be penned into the history of his new nation.


 

The nightmare had not changed—the fact that Asuza was dead had definitely not rid him of it. Sesshomaru came awake with a desperate gasp of breath, blinking the horror from his eyes. Immediately he looked toward his companions, relieved to find Jaken still snoring obliviously, and Rin resting comfortably next to Ah-Un. It was when he turned to the left that he realized he had not escaped the notice of the dragon hybrid.

As soon as his eyes fell upon Shin, the boy looked down and away. Sesshomaru growled, the sound a low, deep rumble that could barely be heard above the morning breeze rushing through the trees. Wisely silent, Shin got up and wandered off, disappearing into the thick foliage of Inuyasha's forest. Sesshomaru watched him go while attempting to gain control of his emotions.

His heart was still pounding in his chest and he was breathing rather erratically. With the remnants of the nightmare still fresh in his mind, Sesshomaru got to his feet and took a long deep breath. He had to put this behind him. He would not continue to allow these images of the past to haunt his rest. He could not allow it! Sleep was not something that he needed every night, but it was a necessity that he could not live long without.

Before his time with Asuza, he normally enjoyed a light sleep each night, but if necessary, he could go several days without—only if absolutely necessary.

How could he continue avoiding something that his body required? How long would he keep his faculties if he continued to push sleep away until his body forced a shut down? Sleeping so deeply was dangerous—not only for him but also for his ward as well. It would only take one instant for an enemy to sneak in and kill them.

Deciding that he had waited long enough, Sesshomaru went in search of the feline that would lead him back to Kagome. Despite the nightmare, he felt relatively refreshed after sleeping through the night. Now he was eager to have Kagome in his arms. The memory of her clinging to him back at Asuza's castle left him feeling warm inside. It was a feeling that he wished to relive again and very soon.

He found the firecat just outside of the slayer's hut. He imagined that her mistress was still sleeping, considering the early hour. Humans seemed inclined to sleep until the first rays of light peeked over the mountains. Sesshomaru was not feeling generous enough to allow her that luxury today.

As he approached the entrance, Sesshomaru realized that he had been wrong. The slayer was already up and moving about. He was even more surprised when she met him at the doorway. One glance and he knew that she was ready to travel. Wearing her familiar black uniform, she carried her weapon on her back.

"Ohayou gozaimasu, Lord Sesshomaru," Sango politely greeted. "I was just going to look for you and Inuyasha."

"Oi, wench! You don't have to look far," Inuyasha called before stepping from behind her hut.

"Ohayou, Inuyasha," Sango called. "Are you ready to go get the monk?"

"Eager to make sure he's behaving?" Inuyasha joked.

Sango gave him a narrow-eyed look, causing Inuyasha to chuckle. Before she could get violent, he quickly held up his hands in supplication. "It's too damned early to get pounded by that overgrown thing you call a weapon."

Sango actually blushed at that. It was disconcerting that Inuyasha knew her so well. She turned her attention to Kirara in order to save herself further embarrassment. "Kirara, it's time to go."

The firecat had just transformed into her fierce full form when Saya ran around the corner with an unfamiliar, somewhat frantic man by her side. "Inuyasha!"

Inuyasha turned to her curiously, automatically suspicious of the man. He quickly went to her and put his arm around her waist. He could tell that she was upset, so he glared at the new guy before grabbing him by the cuff of his shirt. "What the hell have you done?"

"No, Inuyasha!" Saya chastised, urging him to drop the man from his grasp. "He came here for your help!"

"Help?"

The man took that opportunity to go down to his knees in a pleading bow. "I have come to beg your aid! Our village is being attacked by dozens of demons! Several of our people have been killed, and yet they continue to come. If you do not help us, all might be lost!"

Inuyasha looked to Sango, who in turn looked to Sesshomaru. The taiyoukai appeared to be extremely annoyed. Sango felt torn. She wanted to go meet Miroku, but she couldn't let Inuyasha face the demons alone. She turned to Kirara, who was waiting patiently for them to decide. What should she do?

Surprisingly, it was Inuyasha that answered the question for her. "Sango, you come with me. Kirara can go for Miroku, and Sesshomaru can retrieve Kagome."

Sango wondered if Sesshomaru was as shocked as she felt. Inuyasha was actually trusting him with Kagome's safety. It was nothing short of a miracle. The taiyoukai never even blinked before giving a quick nod of acceptance and turning away. Kirara leapt into the air, and Sesshomaru flashed into a ball of light. She watched the dark sky as the orange flame of her friend and the blue glow of the taiyoukai disappeared in the distance.


 

Iku sat on the high peak of a neighboring hillside, watching as his quarry finally escaped the fading spiritual barrier. He had to admit, Oda Nobunaga was a formidable warrior. He had successfully charged the mountain—his men decimating the monks of Mt. Hiei. In the end, there was little remaining except for the gloating victors. They had even burned the shrines. Yes, very impressive for a human.

Now that the massacre had come to an end, it was time for him to take over. Iku had watched it all unfold, waiting patiently for this very moment to arrive. Nobunaga was on horseback, obviously heading for his home in Kyoto, leaving his army behind to deal with the aftermath. He had a meager escort of four—all were human. Iku smirked. The man must be eager to have his prize safely ensconced within his castle.

One would think that Nobunaga was concerned that she might escape. Too bad. The daimyo was wrong this time—the miko would not have the opportunity.

Iku smirked with the satisfaction he felt. His impending victory over Sesshomaru was near. He could almost taste the inu's defeat.

+++++

The adrenaline rush was beginning to ebb, leaving Kagome with an overwhelming sense of remorse. She had not been able to help them. She had even lost Miroku to the savagery of Oda Nobunaga's attack. She blinked as the tears began to form in her eyes. The image of the innocent falling to the soldiers' swords would forever haunt her. She could not get the horrible vision out of her mind. It was paralyzing in its intensity.

She wanted to curl up into a ball and cry. She wanted to mourn the loss of her friend. She wanted to bury the dead. None of these things were options for her now. She was a prisoner to the man behind it all.

Never could she remember hating someone as much as she hated the man clutching her tightly against his armored chest. Logic told her that he was a warlord, and that was what warlords did in the Feudal Era. Reason tried to insist that this was necessary in order to unite Japan in the near future. Rationality said that Oda Nobunaga was meant to live. He was the force that would herald the ultimate end to the fighting and bring a modicum of peace to this war-torn land.

She hated logic nearly as much as she hated Oda Nobunaga.

She wished him dead. It was horrible of her to think in such a way. It was against everything that she stood for, but deep inside, Kagome wanted nothing more than to see the man dead.

They rode in silence. He maneuvered them through the remnants of the once prosperous monastery, descending the mountain in relative speed while passing thousands of dead monks, women, and children. Kagome had never witnessed so much death in one place. It was disturbing on a deeply psychological level. The more she saw, the more she began to shake.

She was growing cold. So very, very cold. Faintly, she realized that shock was probably setting in, yet she found it hard to care. Life in this era was so hard. There was so much misery and so much death. She was growing weary of caring.

As the sun began to rise higher into the mid-morning sky, Kagome lost the will to fight. She was shivering now and her teeth were beginning to chatter. Still, she couldn't bring herself to be concerned.

Her head grew heavy, making it impossible hold it up. When she finally leaned against the warm, hard body at her back, Kagome closed her eyes and mumbled, "Miroku, I am so sorry." Her thoughts then turned to Sango. Her friend would be devastated. Her life had always been so difficult, and now she would discover that her husband had been lost senselessly in this battle. Sango would never forgive her for leading Miroku to his death. "I'm so sorry, Sango."

Her chest hurt. Was it the pain of losing so much? Or was this another symptom of shock? Kagome wasn't sure. Her thoughts were beginning to scramble. It was becoming too hard to focus, and so she allowed the worry to scatter like the brisk morning wind.

Nobunaga felt the woman collapse against him. It gave him a warm feeling inside, even as her sudden supplication concerned him. Until just now she had been stiff as a board, continuing to fight him though it was a useless endeavor. When he first felt her tremble, he assumed that she was simply cold, but now he was beginning to wonder if it might be something else.

"I am here for the miko!"

Nobunaga and his soldiers pulled up short. The horses pranced around in agitation. He easily brought his mount under control and turned his full attention on the youkai. He was somewhat surprised to see Iku, yet he was careful not to show it. He should have seen this coming. The bird was not one to trust. He should have guessed the bird was ultimately after the miko.

"Kagome is mine!" Nobunaga furiously shouted.

"Correction, little man, the miko was yours."

Nobunaga only had enough time to move his hand to his sword and grasp the hilt before the youkai attacked. His soldiers did not stand a chance. The powerful bird youkai swept down from his perch and dispatched two of them before coming to a stand. The third shouted a battle cry, snatching his horse around to face the enemy, but he was no match for the youkai. One powerful slash of his talons brought the man down.

Iku smiled at Nobunaga and held out his arms in a self-assured manner. His head tilted slightly to the side as he faced the lone human. "As I said, mortal, I have come for the miko."

Nobunaga snarled like an animal and raised his sword while still holding Kagome with one arm. The horse reared and he charged. The youkai moved with lightening speed. For the first time in his life, Oda Nobunaga thought that he might actually die.

'Clang!'

A sword appeared, abruptly stopping the youkai's lethal attack. Nobunaga turned to his savior with a mixture of relief and surprise only to find another youkai bearing down on him.

"Sesshomaru..."

It was the first word the miko had spoken since they left the perimeter of Mt. Hiei. Nobunaga frowned with understanding. The youkai was not here to help him. He was here for Kagome.

"No!" the daimyo shouted, pulling hard on the reins. He kicked his horse roughly in the flanks, sending the beast into a run. He refused to look behind him, praying that he could escape the youkai.

Sesshomaru growled as the human raced off with Kagome, but he had other matters to attend first. Iku. The bird was obviously intent on taking Kagome. The thought of her in that demented fowl's claws made his blood surge through his veins with fury.

Iku seemed surprised to see him, and Sesshomaru felt the urge to smile. It was a ruthless curving of his lips that foreshadowed the violence in his golden eyes.

Iku knew that he was in trouble. Sesshomaru was at full strength and obviously out for his blood. The taiyoukai's unexpected appearance had thoroughly ruined his plan to use the miko to trap him. He considered trying to escape, but his chances were slim. He could not out-fly the taiyoukai, and he could not outrun him. It left him with only one option: to fight.

"Sesshomaru. Fancy meeting you here."

"Hn," Sesshomaru replied. Words were not necessary. Iku knew that he was going to die.

"You are looking delicious today," Iku continued to croon. "Instead of fighting, why don't we retire for a bit of fun?"

Sesshomaru had to fight the urge to let his anger take over. It was obviously Iku's ploy to incite his temper in hopes that he would make a mistake. Sesshomaru refused to let that happen.

"No? Too bad. We used to have so much fun together, didn't we? Your ass was so unbelievably tight."

White-hot rage surged upward, and Sesshomaru roared with the force of his emotion. He did not, however, let it rule him. He brought it to heel even as it threatened to take control. "Die, you odious wretch!"

Sesshomaru came at Iku with all the strength he held dear. The clash of his sword against Iku's talons happened again and again. Each time Iku tried to outmaneuver the inu, Sesshomaru met him with certain death in his eyes. Iku thrust toward the taiyoukai's stomach. Sesshomaru easily dodged and swiped his sword across Iku's cheek. Another lunge and Sesshomaru cut a deep furrow across Iku's upper back. The next gouged a deep gash across the back of his thighs.

It could have been made quick. Sesshomaru was easily the stronger fighter. It was slow because he wished it. He wanted it to be drawn out. He wanted Iku to suffer. A jab and Sesshomaru sunk his blade into Iku's right shoulder, yet even then he did not slow down. A spin and he reached out to swipe the razor sharp edge of his claws over the back of Iku's neck. The wound was shallow, but the bird's impressive length of blue hair fell soundlessly to the ground. Iku screamed in fury, and Sesshomaru laughed even as he continued his assault.

Iku couldn't touch him. Sesshomaru simply moved too fast. His sword was used to torment him with shallow, non-lethal wounds, leaving him soaked in his own blood. His magnificent hair had been carelessly shorn, and Iku knew that he would soon join Asuza in the afterlife.

Sesshomaru parried a thrust of Iku's talons and used his own claws to rake bloody, gashes down the bird's chest. Iku screamed in pain as a hint of poison began burning his exposed flesh. Sesshomaru took the opportunity to get behind him, slashing an equally agonizing pattern on his back.

Iku fell to his knees and Sesshomaru stopped in front of him, glaring down at the pathetic youkai. This was the beast that had violated his honor? This loathsome creature was the one that had brought such pain and torment upon him?

Sesshomaru leaned close and stared into Iku's strangely colored eyes. He could see the bird's acceptance there. Death was welcome. He knew that it was awaiting him. Iku wanted him to finish it.

Sesshomaru stood to his full height and stepped back, coming to a sudden decision. Iku thought that he would kill him now. Sesshomaru refused to give him what he wanted. "Your suffering has only just begun."

The words were issued with menace as his whip sizzled to life, snapping from two raised fingers to arc through the air and wrap around Iku's throat. The burn of Iku's flesh desecrated his aristocratic nose. Sesshomaru snarled as he pulled the whip tight. Iku gurgled as his oxygen supply was cut off and his eyes began to dim. The poison continued to leak into his wounds making him weak with agony. He watched as Iku's eyes rolled into the back of his head and finally closed altogether. Sesshomaru ruthlessly snatched the whip once more, and Iku finally passed from consciousness.

He would continue this at a later time.

Sesshomaru turned and looked toward the horizon. He could no longer see the horse that carried Nobunaga and Kagome. He could smell it though. Sesshomaru moved effortlessly into a run. It felt good to stretch his legs, feeling the earth move beneath his feet. His goal was finally within his grasp. Kagome was near, and he would soon hold her in his arms.

Nobunaga pushed the horse beyond its limits. It raced across the rocky countryside with commendable speed and agility, yet its master gave it no quarter. Harder he pushed and the beast called on the last reserve of its strength, increasing the swift pace. With nostrils flaring and foam forming on its chest, the horse raced with all of its might.

Still, it was not enough.

Nobunaga spotted a lone figure in white standing solemnly up ahead. "Impossible," he muttered in disbelief. Kagome was sobbing into his chest and quietly repeating the youkai's name as if it were a mantra of salvation. It was growing tedious and he snapped, "Quiet wench or I shall slit your throat and be done with you!"

At last the whimpers came to an end. Nobunaga pulled up on the reins, far from the figure awaiting his approach, turning the horse sharply to the right. He kicked the horse again and the beast broke into a gallop. Nobunaga had not even blinked his eyes and the ghostly figure appeared, yet again, in front of him. It was the youkai. He was sure of it. How had it moved so fast?

Nobunaga snatched at the tiring horse and it rose onto its hind legs, feeling its master's fear and frustration. The simultaneous pull on its bridle sent it stumbling off balance. Nobunaga barely had time to swing their legs up before the big animal fell roughly to the ground. It neighed in pain and tried to kick its way up, but the beast was obviously too wounded now. Nobunaga had no other option than to abandon his mount.

After gaining ground, he pulled Kagome to her feet. The girl was acting strange. Trembling and unfocused. She was crying continuously without making a sound. He shook her hard, attempting to snap her out of it, but his efforts were useless. She simply went with the motion like a lifeless rag doll. "Kagome!" Still she remained without her faculties. He grew frustrated and released her to collapse on the ground. With the youkai after him, he only had one option. He pulled his short sword and leapt down behind Kagome, pulling her head back with his free hand.

"Stay back! I will not hesitate to end her life if you dare to approach!"

Sesshomaru was furious that the human would put a sword to Kagome's delicate throat. He suppressed the urge to snarl and considered how to deal with the situation. He came to a conclusion quite effortlessly, and before Nobunaga knew what he was about, Sesshomaru sent his whip forward to wrap around the tip of the sword. One sharp jerk and Sesshomaru relieved Nobunaga of his weapon. He took the moment of Nobunaga's surprise to streak forward in a blinding flash of white light to punch the fool in the jaw.

Nobunaga took the blow and staggered back, releasing Kagome from his grasp. Sesshomaru quickly retrieved her from the ground and moved her clear of any danger. He took a moment to hold her close, breathing in her scent while offering her comfort. Something was wrong with his miko. She was not acting herself. She felt colder than she should and her breathing was shallow. She was crying in silent heart shattering sobs. He pulled her away so that he could study her face.

"Kagome?"

She blinked and opened her eyes, but they seemed unfocused. "Sesshomaru..."

"I am here, Kagome. You are safe."

"Oh...Sesshomaru..." She sobbed once more and started mumbling, "Dead. All dead. Miroku! My fault...Miroku...Oh Gods, he's dead!"

He pulled her against his chest, offering her his warmth. On this day his poor miko had witnessed the horrors of humankind. She had been exposed to incredible suffering and pain. No wonder she was so upset. The monk she knew so well was dead. Mt. Hiei had been laid to waste. It was more than she could deal with in one day.

"My sweet Kagome. Shhh..." He leaned down and kissed her forehead. "Look at me, my love." Kagome blinked at the flood of tears in her eyes and finally met his gaze. "If we are not too late, this Sesshomaru will raise the monk with Tenseiga. Do not cry for him."

This seemed to get through to her, and she hiccuped before reaching up to wipe at her eyes. "You...you will?"

"For you, my love. Only for you."

"Oh, Sesshomaru!" she cried before throwing her arms around him and holding him tight.

He took a moment to revel in her softness and her gratitude, but he had not forgotten the one that made her cry in the first place. His eyes rose and he spotted the human warlord standing bravely by his wounded horse. The man had sheathed his wakizashi and pulled his long sword, waiting for his opponent to rise. Sesshomaru smirked at his enemy. The baka would get his due.

"Kagome, listen to this Sesshomaru," he urged in a soothing voice. Kagome looked up and blinked, her eyes seeming to have gained some semblance of focus. "Stay here where you will be safe. I will allow no one to hurt you again." He turned his sharp eyes on Nobunaga and growled, "Especially you."

Kagome was beginning to come back to life again. With the knowledge that Sesshomaru might be able to save Miroku, the overwhelming grief began to subside. It was more than she had hoped for, and she grasped onto her taiyoukai's promise, using it to push the despair away. When Sesshomaru moved to stand, depriving her of his warmth and comfort, Kagome had to breathe deeply in order to calm the spontaneous trembling of her muscles. It sobered her enough that she began to think about what he had just said.

Sesshomaru meant to kill Oda Nobunaga!

Kagome twisted just in time to stop the deathblow. "No! Sesshomaru, please! You cannot kill him!"

Sesshomaru stopped the swipe of his claws mid-strike. He turned slightly and looked over his shoulder. Kagome seemed frantic in her plea to save this insolent mortal's life. "Why?"

Kagome stumbled forward, trying to gain her feet on legs too shaky to perform. "He must live. The future depends on it."

Sesshomaru narrowed his eyes. Kagome was not making sense. Perhaps, she still suffered from the ravages of her grief. "The death of one mortal shall change nothing." He dismissed her and returned to his prey.

"Sesshomaru, you have to listen to me. I have...have seen the future, and please believe me when I tell you that Oda Nobunaga is necessary!"

Her insistence made him pause. Something an old witch told him about Kagome came to mind. "The miko from the future plays a great role in the past. It was her destiny to come to ye, but her journey is far from over." Could it be? The witch from YoKaishi insisted that Kagome was from the future. He had even scoffed at her words. "I am a seer, and I have witnessed with my own two eyes the transportation of your miko from her time to ours. This girl, she is special. One of a kind, in the past as well as the future."

Was it true then? Was Kagome really from the future? He looked at the human daimyo and pondered, 'Will this man's untimely death change so much?'

Kagome seemed to think so.

"Tell me, Kagome. What role does he play?"

Kagome finally managed to stand and then she pointed toward Nobunaga. "He is the single driving force that unites this land under one rule. It is through him that the fighting between clans will finally end. Please, Sesshomaru, I don't know what will happen if you kill him now. He is meant to live for many years to come."

"The girl is correct, youkai!" Nobunaga arrogantly proclaimed. "I will one day soon rule this land! Peace will reign supreme and all will answer to Oda Nobunaga!"

Sesshomaru turned a snide glare on the human that dared to interrupt. His mind was playing out the cause and effect of killing a historical figure before his time. As much as he wanted to gut the wretch, it seemed that he was instrumental to the future of all mortals. There was a time when he would not have cared, but that time had passed. He loved a mortal now, and what was important to her, was important to him.

Though he longed for the daimyo's blood, Sesshomaru came to the conclusion that he would have to let him go free. However, that did not mean that he would let him go without a reminder of his good fortune.

Nobunaga blinked and before he could fully open his eyes again, the demon was before him. He pulled up his sword to strike him down, but the creature thwarted his attempt easily in the most terrifying way imaginable. As his sword came down, the youkai reached up and grabbed the sharp blade. When Nobunaga looked up to see the wound inflicted on the beast's hand, he understood exactly how powerless he was against such a foe.

The youkai had melted his blade.

He looked toward the eyes of the beast and saw crimson flashing back at him. Long fangs were protruding from a fearsome mouth and the demon's long hair whipped around him in an unnatural wind. He gasped and stepped back.

Sesshomaru growled ferociously and raised his elongated claws in warning. "Hear me, human. This Sesshomaru reluctantly shows you mercy on this day." He then swept forward and grabbed the little man by his neck, lifting him several feet off of the ground while glaring into his terrified eyes. "You owe your pathetic life to my miko, and make no mistake, the miko is MINE!" He squeezed the fragile neck in his grasp until the human's bladder released, soaking the front of his hakama. Sesshomaru then released a minute amount of Dakkasou, leaving the painful impression of his hand burned into the thin mortal flesh. Nobunaga tried to scream in agony, but the sound escaped as a mere gurgle against the crushing force of the taiyoukai's grip. Satisfied that he made his point, Sesshomaru tossed him to the ground in disgust.

Kagome ran to him even as his features returned to normal. Sesshomaru opened his arms and welcomed her into his embrace.

"Sesshomaru! Thank you."

Sesshomaru leaned down and nuzzled his cheek against her hair. "No, miko, it is I, who should thank you. Only by your grace did I have the strength to escape from Asuza's clutches. Only through you will I see it forever behind me."

He pulled her even tighter against him, enjoying her soft body pressing against his own. He then lifted her up and wrapped his hand in her silky hair. "Kagome. Truly, I belong to you."

Kagome reached up and pressed the palm of her hand against his smooth face. In his golden eyes, she could see warmth, love, and acceptance. Her happiness in that moment was so great that it briefly overshadowed all other emotions. "I love you too, Sesshomaru, and I have missed you so very much."


 

A/N: They are together at last! And this time they will stay that way. I hope that you have enjoyed this chapter of Violation of Honor! Next chapter...Is it too late for Miroku? Can Tenseiga save him? What will happen to Iku? You will discover the answer when Kagome and Sesshomaru return to Mt. Hiei. Also in the next chapter, we welcome a time of peace, love and SEX! Oh Yeah! I said it. SEX. After all, our miko and taiyoukai have some catching up to do!

Thanks for reading. Please don't forget to review!