InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Walk of Destiny ❯ Betrayed ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Yes, I do own Inuyasha....okay, I’m lying.


------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------


Walk of Destiny

By angelwings1

Edited by Kelli G


------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------


Chapter 12---Betrayed


------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------


The morning was hotter than he had expected. Even with his fire rat haori’s ability to protect him from both extreme heat and winter chill, the hanyou began to perspire in the early sun. Using his sharp fingernails, he peeled his sticky hair away from his neck, shifting uncomfortably on the hut's rooftop. With the first light, Inuyasha watched as the village begin to stir and buzz with work.

His gold eyes narrowed specifically on the quiet caravan, watching the strangers mill about the wagons and horses. Inuyasha’s small ears pressed flat against his skull once he spotted Rashu exiting the carriage.

If the priest came to see Kagome, the hanyou would make sure he didn’t disturb her. She hadn't gone to sleep until sometime just shy of dawn, even though he had seen her to bed hours earlier. Keeping close to his pack as usual, Inuyasha had intended to sleep on the roof, but her sleepless rustling wouldn’t let him nod off.

He was worried about her. After their talk, the hanyou had felt light-hearted and, dare he say it, almost happy. She, however, had walked more heavily than she usually did, and had not spoken a word beyond their simple ‘goodnight.’

She was still upset over everything.

Who wouldn’t be?

Too much had been brought against her in one day. She didn’t deserve this torment. She never did. She was too innocent, too pure, to be meant to endure this.

He would do everything in his power to help her through this, and for now, that meant giving her some well-deserved sleep.

Inuyasha frowned as he remembered finding her in the graveyard the night before. ‘Who else was there? I know I smelt something.’

Strange thing was, though, he thought he had smelt his own scent, as alive as if he had already been there, moments before he actually arrived. But why?

His ears flipped forward when he heard the door below scrape open. “Inuyasha?”

The hanyou glanced down from his high perch and noticed Shippo, Kilala, and Rin staring up at him. His gold eyes quickly returned to the narrow patrol. “What is it?”

“Kagome hasn’t woken up, and already half the morning’s gone,” the kit exclaimed. “It’s not like her.”

“She had a long night.” Inuyasha turned back to his watch. “Let her rest.”

“But she’s needed at the hospitals!” Shippo insisted loudly. “Sango, Miroku, and Kohaku went to help, but what if they need her?”

Frowning, Inuyasha grumbled at the sky. She was the best healer in the village, but she needed sleep. If she didn’t get at least a few more hours, she would need a healer.

Sighing, the hanyou dropped to the ground. “Let’s go check and see if they really need her first. If they do we’ll bring her back, but otherwise no one is waking her up.”

“Um...okay,” Shippo replied uncertainly, following after the hanyou.

Cradling Kilala in her arms like a baby, Rin skipped after them with a wide grin. “Shippo, will we help Kagome again today? I want to help again.”

The kit smiled warmly at the girl. “Maybe later. How about we help Miroku today instead?”

“Sure,” the girl chirped, almost like a little songbird in the morning sun. The fox curiously noted that Rin was completely unfazed by yesterday's gory display. He guessed, off-handedly, that she had seen a lot of blood spilt by Sesshoumaru’s hands before.

Inuyasha studied the two from the corner of his eye, random thoughts of his own youth involuntarily flashing through his head. ‘I don’t ever remember being so carefree.’

‘Could I ever have been free to just live? To be happy?

‘No one would let me. No one but Mother ever cared whether I laughed or cried.

‘I was only a half-breed, but I might as well have been a pure-blooded demon, the way I was refused.’

“Demon!”

The vicious word earned a dangerous growl from the hanyou. His gold eyes eagerly found the man who had spoken, his tongue already imagining the coppery taste of his blood. He had been called a demon on countless occasions, but he was already in a foul mood, and it upset him further to hear such disgust in the word.

The red and white garbed man stood out among the muddy huts, his wild robes flying in the wind. Several villagers looked up from their paths, exchanging confused looks with one another.

How could his morning turn sour so early?

“What do you want, Rashu?” he hissed through clenched teeth as the priest drew closer.

The man’s face was stony, like it had been carved from rock. “Why are you here?”

Inuyasha scowled. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Why are you with humans?” the priest persisted, glaring intently at the hanyou. “Why do these people allow you to be here?”

If Inuyasha wasn’t pissed yet, he sure was getting there fast.

“Why shouldn’t I be here?!” The dog-demon grew louder, not even caring if the villagers and travelers took notice. This human had best not come into his home and then tear it away from him!

Rashu pushed his nose into the hanyou’s space, tempting the beast with his fragile flesh. Inuyasha frowned deeply at the foolish action. The unblemished skin was inches from his fangs. The man knew demons were dangerous; he had even gone so far as to say that they were a threat to humankind.

Yet here he was, pushing his face directly into the lion’s mouth.

Inuyasha narrowed his eyes. ‘He’s trying something.’

The priest glared fearlessly into the hanyou’s face. “You’re her servant, aren’t you?”

Inuyasha’s blood thundered in his ears. “I’m no one’s servant!”

“You wear a collar,” the priest insisted, a sharp finger directing to the prayer beads around the hanyou’s neck.

“Inuyasha is Kagome’s friend!” Shippo shouted angrily from behind the hanyou. The small kit glared at the priest with unrestrained rage. Rin watched uncertainly, Kilala hissing in her arms.

Unconsciously, the hanyou’s lips curled up into a threatening snarl. ‘He’s baiting me...’

Four years ago, Inuyasha would have bitten down without a second thought. However, after dealing with Naraku and his countless tricks, he had grown wiser, and more suspicious of people's true motives.

But what was this man trying to do? He was obviously trying to get him angry, invading his space, attacking him verbally. But what would getting him angry prove?

‘Is he trying to show Kagome that I’m vicious?’ the hanyou wondered silently. ‘She already knows I’m powerful. If I attack him, he’ll use that to try and prove I am a threat. He’s trying to separate us.’

Suddenly, Rashu’s neck looked too wide. Inuyasha felt a desperate need to squeeze it down to size.

“I don’t play games,” Inuyasha rumbled at the man, barely managing to keep the tremors of anger out of his voice. “Get out of my face.”

A chaotic storm seemed to consume the man’s eyes. The hanyou wasn’t falling into his trap, and he had already laid out some of his best tricks. Luckily, he still had a few cards left. He would soon pull the trump.

“That’s a fine sword you have.” Rashu smiled warmly, dropping his earlier aggressive expression. “I’ve heard you are powerless without it.”

“Rumors,” Inuyasha spat. “I have won battles without ever using Tessiaga.”

The priest glanced down at the lifeless sheath at the demon’s side. He could feel the dark power swirling in its container, anxious to be unleashed.

A mild laugh scraped against the hanyou’s eardrums. Inuyasha’s hand twitched onto Tessiaga’s hilt.

“What’s so funny?” the dog demon hissed, fangs grating against his lower row of teeth.

“I never meant the sword won your battles.” The priest’s smirk drove Inuyasha’s anger to the brink. “I meant that without the sword you’re unable to hide your true heart, your darkness.”

Inuyasha’s innards twisted viciously. ‘Does everyone know?’

A powerful drum seemed to pound inside him, and a hot shiver flashed up his spine. His throat became tight as a dark, wild feeling crept around his heart. Tessiaga pulsed, pushing down the sickening blood lust that suddenly rose within him.

The hanyou grimaced. ‘My demon blood...it’s becoming stronger...’

Panicking, his gold eyes searched Rashu’s. ‘Is he doing this? Is he somehow making my demon side surface?’

Life stopped, air evaporating from his dry mouth. All he could sense was the thunder barreling down on him, and the pair of eyes that swallowed his mind.

‘Show your true colors, filth. Show them what you really are!’

Inuyasha snapped awake, breathing hard and fast. ‘W-What?’

The words... he had not dreamed them. Those words still echoed mystically in his head, as if someone had stood next to him and whispered them in his ear.

Was it a spell?

Some holy power wielded to break him?

He looked to Rashu. ‘You... leave me alone.’

‘I reveal the truth. I shall reveal the truth of your blood.’

Inuyasha stepped backwards. It was an awkward feeling to be deathly afraid.

Shippo anxiously tugged on the hanyou’s sleeve. “Inuyasha? Are you alright?”

He didn’t respond to the stupid question, too intent on putting distance between himself and the priest. Rashu was definitely trying to unleash his demon half, but Tessiaga was struggling to force it down.

If he lost the sword...

Inuyasha scrambled back as Rashu marched forward, the priest's stare aimed at his sword.

The villagers strayed closer, their work forgotten. A handful raced off. Inuyasha guessed they were going to round up Sango and Miroku.

Rashu was only a few yards away now. Growing frantic, the hanyou whipped out his only defense. The gold blade pressing against his chest stopped the priest short, but Rashu looked down at the sword calmly, uncaring.

“Get back!” Inuyasha shouted, his blood strumming painfully through his limbs. ‘It’s already hard to keep my hand from shaking.’

For a short breath, the hanyou thought he could escape what was coming, but he soon realized that he had underestimated this man as Tessiaga was batted aside. Inuyasha inhaled sharply as his senses tingled intensely. His once-silent instincts were now screaming, urging him to cowardly abandon the fight.

What surprised him about the fear racing through his heart was that it had not come from his weak human side. The enormous wave of panic that drowned his logic was flowing from his demon side.

Whenever he had fought before, his human side had trembled in cowardice. Ashamed of his childish fear, Inuyasha had charged into battle with his demon pride, refusing to run with his tail between his legs.

Now, even his pride would not answer to the small dagger scratching along Tessiaga.

His gold eyes didn’t dare leave the innocent-looking dagger. His body could sense the cold forces emitting from the blade, seeping out into the crisp air like a poison.

He needed to get away.

No, this man wouldn’t scare him. He was stronger than this human.

His mind grew wild with a hundred voices, none of which he could hear over the others. The only thing he knew for certain was that the Hasu Ly Blade was anxious to claim its next victim: him.

“INUYASHA!”

The hanyou didn’t dare divert his eyes onto the approaching slayers. If he did, it might mean his end.

Feet shuffled and voices whispered. “Lady Sango! Lord Kohaku!”

“What’s going on?!” the young woman shouted as she broke into his line of sight, just beyond the priest.

Suddenly, Tessiaga clattered out of his hand, and hot metal pressed against his vulnerable throat.

Inuyasha froze. Darn his reflexes for turning his head away!

“It appears you are afraid,” Rashu stated evenly, a triumphant smirk on his face. “You know what this is, don’t you?”

The hanyou didn’t answer. Slowly, he inched backwards, trying to get away. Rashu pressed the blade deeper against the demon’s flesh. “Don’t move.”

Sango raced forward to save her long-time friend. “Rashu, release him!”

“Move, and I’ll spill his blood right here!” the man warned, never looking away from his target.

Just as the priest had hoped, his threat was perfectly effective in immobilizing the slayer. Inuyasha heard the ground go silent as no one, not even the watching villagers, dared to move.

Sango ground her teeth together, nervously twisting her boomerang’s strap. She had to do something!

Inuyasha was thinking the same thing. But with his sword gone, and the mystic blade against his throat, he didn’t see a tangible option.

Not that he could actually focus, not with the drums pounding away in his head.

The blade was hot against his neck, painfully searing the flesh it touched. Inuyasha flinched away, but Rashu quickly pushed the dagger back beneath his Adam’s apple.

“Go ahead,” Inuyasha whispered softly. “Kill me.”

The priest’s grin was smug. He had full control of the situation, and the hanyou finally knew it. “Not today.”

The world was gradually becoming fuzzy, and suddenly dark night swallowed the haze. Inuyasha fought desperately, knowing his demon half was taking over, but his will steadily disappeared. His fear gave way to a throbbing rage.

Sango angrily shook her head as his gold eyes became perilous blue. “Rashu!”

“You know this dark half, don’t you, Lady Sango?” the priest asked, his smirk present in his voice. “You know what he is.”

“He is my friend!” she shouted passionately, taking a bold step forward. “Stop this, Rashu!”

“She needs to see this!” he replied peacefully, showing no alarm as Inuyasha began to shake with a deafening roar. “She needs to see what he really is: a crazed monster!”

“You can’t force her to hate Inuyasha!” the huntress yelled. “She loves him!”

Obviously, Rashu hadn’t expected that answer, because he whirled around, his face shocked. “WHAT?!”

The huntress instantly noticed the red pupils expanding in the hanyou’s eyes.

He had fully transformed, and Rashu was directly in his path. The only thing barricading the demon was a blade, but in his state, Inuyasha would strike even if it meant his death.

The huntress gasped when she saw his claws grow longer and sharper. He was going to kill Rashu!

“Look out!” Sango cried, flying out of her position.

Foolishly, Rashu had let his guard down, and the now full-blooded dog demon had taken advantage of the situation. Rashu whipped around, realizing his childish mistake seconds before he saw the gold stripes of Inuyasha's claws flashing.

Together, the priest and hanyou howled in pain, the blade falling out of reach. Blood splattered the earth as both men crashed into the ground.

Whipping off her weapon, Sango quickly raced towards them.

Rashu clutched his chest, pulling himself up as fast as he could. If he lingered, the hanyou would easily take him down.

Inuyasha’s blue eyes shot open, and he brought his face up out of the brown earth with an angry growl. His neck was bleeding hard, red covering the entire left side of his pale skin. It was pure luck the blade had only grazed his flesh, barely missing the vital veins.

The priest scrambled to his feet. Where had he dropped the Hasu Ly Blade?

The dog demon lowered his belly, barely brushing it against the ground. The villagers screamed as they saw their protector lunge at the holy man’s vulnerable throat.

Crying out, the huntress swung her boomerang flat between the two men. Inuyasha roared in frustration as his fist slammed into the large bone weapon. His prey was being kept from him!

At the same time, Kohaku threw out the chain from his sickle, and with a masterful twist of his wrist wrapped it around the priest’s neck. Needing only one hard tug, the boy yanked the priest out of the fight and next to his feet.

“INUYASHA!” the huntress shouted from the safety behind her weapon. “Wake up!”

Roaring, the demon swiped at her. His frustration mounted as his claws met a lifeless victim. His rage-blind eyes locked onto the huntress, and Sango knew she had stolen the hanyou’s attention from Rashu. “INUYASHA!”
There was nothing left to talk to, nothing but empty violence.

They needed help. They needed Kagome!

Another swipe from his claws pushed the huntress backwards. She dug her heel firmly into the dirt, stopping her slide. “Kohaku, we need to get Kagome! She’s the only one who’s ever been able to get through to him!”

The boy, who had been busy unraveling his chain, glanced up at his sister’s command. His eyes widened. “Sis, watch yourself!”

Sango never had a chance to move. Inuyasha put his entire weight against the flat bone, imprisoning the woman under her own weapon. She stared up in horror at his open jaws. ‘He’s gotten faster!’

Kohaku instantly was in the fray, his sickle flying at the snarling dog. Inuyasha’s ears flicked, hearing the air whistle. Snapping his jaws, the hanyou pushed off the slayer and flipped a few yards back. Together the siblings hurried to ready their weapons, and face their enraged friend.

Inuyasha snarled, circling the slayers as if they were true game.

Sango growled angrily as she put herself between him and the priest. ‘We put up a barrier to keep out danger, and now we’re cornered by it!’

“You see now, don’t you, Lady Sango,” the priest yelled weakly. “You see the monster he is!”

“SHUT UP!” she shouted. She was sick of this man, and was almost tempted to let Inuyasha have his way with him.

“No!” His voice became stronger, and she heard him rise. “The truth won’t be silent!”

Holding onto her faith that Kohaku would protect her, Sango stole a peek at the priest and saw him moving towards the discarded dagger that was to their right.

The familiar whistle brought her eyes back to the front. The sickle was dodged easily and the demon charged. Sango swung her weapon upwards, missing the demon, but forcing him back.

‘We need to keep him at bay until someone gets Kagome!’ The huntress dropped back a step, giving Kohaku the signal to take over. She quickly turned to the frightened villagers. “Someone, please hurry and get Lady Kagome!”

“That won’t be necessary, Lady Sango,” Rashu thundered as he unexpectedly rushed past, Hasu Ly in his hand. “I’ll stop him for you!”

She didn’t have a chance at stopping him. Even wounded, the priest was only yards away from his target.

“Don’t you dare touch him!” Shippo screeched, falling out of a cloud of floating blue fire. Clamping his teeth into the man’s arm, the kit managed to drag him to a halt. Rashu hissed as he clawed at the fox’s snout. The demon had captured the arm with the dagger. He tried to pull the dagger out of his clenched fist, but the fox’s teeth were buried so deep into his muscles that it hurt too much to open his hand. Using his only other option, the priest pounded his free hand into the kit’s forehead, hoping he would let go. Shippo was a determined pup, however, and refused, even as blood began to gush out of his nostrils.

Unfortunately, Shippo’s back was unguarded, and Inuyasha had become so full of rage that he would kill anyone to bring peace to his rampaging mind. The kit wailed in surprised as his back was shredded.

“SHIPPO!” Rin screamed, clutching Kilala tighter to her chest. “SHIPPO!”

Turning towards the cry, the bloodthirsty beast rushed the child. Kilala was instantly out of the girl’s arms and through her orange flames, flying straight at the hanyou.

By now, Sango had managed to capture Rashu in a headlock. “Kohaku! Get a hold of Inuyasha!”

The boy nodded and headed in, spinning his weapon over his head. Kilala crashed to the ground, slashed in the shoulder.

Villagers began to part as a late Miroku suddenly came running up the street. “SANGO! What’s going on?!”

Still with the priest secure in her arms, the slayer glared up at her love. “Where have you been?!”

“Obviously not here,” he mumbled, slowly taking in the scene.

Kohaku had successfully wrapped his chain around Inuyasha's neck, but the hanyou wasn’t about to submit to the leash. The beast went right for his captor with drool flying from his fangs.

“Well, at least you’re here now!” Sango snapped, grappling to keep the priest from escaping her. “Now stop gawking and get Kagome!”

The monk hated to leave the battle when he had only just arrived, but he knew Kagome was the only solution for this mess. Miroku was already racing towards the hillside stairs. “I’m going! I’m going!”

Using the monk's leaving as a distraction, Rashu broke out of Sango’s arms and flung himself at Inuyasha. Sango desperately stretched out her hand to try and catch his robes, but the nimble clothes slipped through her fingers. “NO! KOHAKU!”

Hopping away from the demon’s claws, the boy slayer used the sickle of his weapon to block the oncoming dagger. “Get back, priest!”

“Stupid boy!” Rashu yelled heatedly. “You are a slayer of demons, yet you keep me from killing one!”

A sharp whistle ripped through the sky. Gasps were heard as an arrow hit the ground between the men's feet.

Sango grinned in relief, seeing her sister standing at the top of the hill. “Kagome!”

The miko glared down at the surprised group, her fiery eyes on the three fighting males. “Stand down, Rashu!”

Inuyasha froze, and his ears swiveled backwards towards the sound of her voice. His red eyes narrowed on the form on the hill, memory gnawing at his mind. She had a weapon drawn, a challenge. The demon snarled. He would meet her challenge.

“My Lady Kagome!” the priest called. “This monster attacked me! I have sworn an oath to kill demons that threaten lives!”

“You don’t have my permission!” Kagome shouted back, hurrying down the stairs. “Now get back!”

Before anyone could move, Inuyasha threw himself against the slayer’s chains. Yelping in surprise, Kohaku tugged hard on the chain, but with the combined stress one of the metal links snapped in two. The townsfolk hastily fell back as the demon rushed by them and headed towards the stairs.

Miroku quickly stepped in the hanyou’s path, staff ready. “Stop, Inuyasha!”

The demon ignored the monk and easily flew over the man’s head. He had eyes only for the woman.

Kagome quickly lifted her hand. He was approaching too fast.

‘I don’t want to hurt you, Inuyasha!’

Pink light fluttered between them, gradually becoming a solid wall. The demon didn't even back away from the visible blockade, only began clawing at it violently. How dare he be kept from his prize!

“INUYASHA!” she screamed, desperate to reach her friend behind the red eyes. ‘Hear me!’

Four years, however, had thickened his blood. The more often his demon half had surfaced, the harder it had become to break him from the demon blood rage. Sitting him didn’t even work anymore.

Last time, they had feared they would never wake him. Once they had, they all knew that the next time could cost him his life.

‘I won’t lose him!’

Her barrier flashed with each swipe he took.

‘But what do I do?!’

He roared, arching his back at an unnatural angle.

‘I’ve used my powers before to try and knock him out, but it didn’t work.’

He rammed his forehead into the wall.

She bit her lower lip, nervous to act. ‘Fighting him only makes it worse.’

Her hand quietly curled away, the light growing dimmer as she did so.

“KAGOME!” Sango screamed. “What are you doing?!”

She could hear her sister’s fear. ‘Don’t worry. He won’t hurt me. Inuyasha would never hurt me.’

Using her last bit of courage, Kagome called down her shield, not sure what to expect. With the barrier now gone, the hanyou hesitated.

His prize was here, but he lingered, not sure if he should accept it.

He had nothing to be afraid of.

Kagome’s mouth flew open in a silent cry as his teeth bit into her tender shoulder. Pain spread like rapid fire as she flew backwards. Inuyasha’s fangs didn’t move as he followed her to the ground. His claws dug into her skin, and Kagome could feel warmth spilling out of her.

‘Inuyasha...’

She couldn’t see anything but gray shapes. She blinked quickly, refocusing on the world.

“Kagome...”

Now she could see gold, like coins glistening in the sun.

It had happened so fast, and now it was over.

She should have been able to stop him.

It took a few gulps of air for Inuyasha to realize where he was. Her blood was thick in his nostrils.

His worried face stared down at her anxiously and found the red liquid spilling from her shoulder. “Kagome?! Are you alright?!”

“It worked,” she whispered, unconsciously rubbing her palm against his warm cheek. ‘I’m so glad...’

His mind slowly shook the sleep away. Inuyasha could tell by her eyes, and by the disgusting taste of blood, what had happened. He had finally done what he had always feared he would do. He had betrayed her.