InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ when friends find out ❯ chapter 3 Kagome's story ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
chapter three

The girls will have a tendency to speak together, so if there is three quoted statements one right after the other, it is probably the girls talking at the same time.

If a person is speaking, and it is more than just a question/exclamation, and I do not identify the speaker, it is probably Kagome.

Please note: Kagome has had a head injury. Her memories are still a bit confused and if the sequence of events she gives seems wrong that is the reason.
_____________________

Everybody is seated in the living room. Kagome is stretched out on the floor on her stomach with her head in her mother's lap. Her three friends are seated where they can see her face when she tilts her head and talks.

"My back is still hurting . . . "

"Your back looked horrible yesterday, how did you wear that backpack?" Ayumi asks.

"I had to. Inu-yasha was carrying the bike, so I had to carry the backpack."

"Nobody else could help?" Mrs. H asks.

"Sango and Miroku couldn't. I will explain as I go, mother." The girls look like they are going to burst. "I will tell you about them and the others, guys. I've been thinking about how to tell this. My mother wants to know how I got so beat up, but you girls want to know everything. So, what I'm going to do is . . . I'll tell what happened in the last week or so, then later go back and tell the story from the beginning for you three."

The three friends glance at each other and Eri says, "We really wanted to know everything from the beginning, but . . . your mom comes first."

"Ok . . . to begin . . . When I arrived, Miroku . . . "

"Who's Miroku?" asks Ayumi.

"Miroku is a Buddhist monk I travel with. Mom, could you go and get that red photo album marked field trip that's in my room."

"I thought you would need it. I've got it right here." Mrs. H says as she pulls out a large red photo album.

"I've bought cameras with me and taken pictures of everybody and everything."

"Some of the landscapes she taken are breathtaking, girls." Mrs. H says to the girls.

"Mom, would you mind opening it and showing them the pictures when I talk about the person?"

"No problem, dear." She says as she positions the album so the three girls can see the pictures.

The first picture is a large full page picture of Inu-yasha. The enlarged Tetsusaiga is over his shoulders. An irritated expression is on his face. The god tree is in the background. "Where did that big sword come from?" one of the girls asks.

"The sword you saw enlarges."

"He's the jealous boyfriend that you've talked about, right?" Ayumi asks.

"Yes, but . . . If I start talking about him, my mother will never have her story."

The three girls look at each other, look at Kagome and Yuka says, "One of these days, Kagome . . . We're going to corner you . . . "

"I know, just not today, OK . . . "

"Ok . . . "

The second picture is a full page picture of Shippo sitting on Keade's porch. He is sucking on a lollipop with a smile on his face. "Cute!" the girls chorus.

"His name is Shippo. He's an orphaned kitsune child that . . . that I've basically adopted."

"Adopted!" Yuka says excitedly.

"Yeah, well. Sort of. When I'm there, I take care of him. If I could get him through the well."

"If you could do that, I'd adopt him!"
"No, I would!"
"No, I would! He's so cute!"

The three girls say with little anime stars in their eyes.

"No girls, I would." Declares Kagome's mother.

The third full page picture is of Sango. She is in her normal kimono with Kirara in her arms and Keade's hut in the background. There is a small smile on her lips. "Umm . . . I really don't know how to say this . . . but . . . she's Sango, and she's . . . "Kagome licks her lips and looks at the ground, anywhere but her friends, "she's my best friend . . . "

"I thought we were!" Eri calls out before the others.

"You girls still are, I promise! But. After the adventures she and I have had. I trust her with my life."

The three girls look at each other and don't say a thing.

The fourth full page picture is also Sango. But this time she is in her armor with her huge boomerang held off to one side of her. Her normal serious expression is on her face. Kirara is transformed into battle form. Kirara is behind Sango with same background as the first picture.

"She's a demon exterminator. The cat you saw in the first picture can change shape."

The fifth full page picture is of Miroku. He is standing in front of Keade's hut. In one hand is his staff and his free hand is held out with his fingers in the traditional 'V' sign. A small grin is on his face.

"When I was explaining about the camera, I sort of mentioned the 'V' symbol tradition and well . . . "

"He's handsome."
"Does he have a girlfriend?"
'"Nice . . . "

"Get your minds out the gutter, girls. Because he's already in there."

They look at Kagome with questions in their eyes.

"He's a pervert. Hmm . . . you know like Nomura."

"The guy that is always flipping skirts?"

"Yeah, but worse. But, on the other hand. He has a strong mystic soul and is a very good friend, even with his wandering hands." Kagome then whispers, "losing him would be very hard . . . "

"Umm, dear . . . " Mrs. H whispers.

"Ops. Sorry, mom. As I was saying, when I went through the well last time, Miroku had heard about a, hmm . . . how much do I . . . " Kagome stops, then bites her lip, she is trying to decide exactly what to say.

"When I first went through the well, I sort of broke a magical item. I've been trying to find pieces of it and put it back together again ever since." The three girls look at each other.

"Miroku, as I was saying, had heard of a rumor where a piece of it was. Way up in the mountains. And so, we went after it. Me and Shippo on my bike. Sango, Miroku on Kirara. Inu-yasha running ahead of us. It took us ten, or was it eleven days, I hurt my head so I think I've lost a day somewhere, to get to the mountain. Anyway, a rock demon had it."

"Do you have a picture of the demon?" Ayumi asks. Everybody looks at her. She blushes. "Ah, could you forget I said that . . . "

"No pictures, but you're not missing much. A ten meter tall mannish shaped granite rock, really. Not much of a challenge. Inu-yasha and Sango pounded it to pieces and Miroku scooped them up in his air-rip."

"Air-rip?"

"See the hand that is holding the staff in the picture. That piece of leather covers what is effectively a black hole. It can suck in anything. It almost sucked me in, once. He calls it an air -rip" Kagome licks her lips. And then asks, "um, could someone get me something to drink?"

Ayumi says, "I'll get it. What do you want?"

"Tea is fine. I'll need a straw, to."

"Yeah, almost forgot you were laying down." Ayumi says, then a pause, "anybody else?"

"Go ahead and bring everybody some, Ayumi." Mrs. H orders.

They stop for a couple minutes getting drinks and repositioning themselves. With the girls in the kitchen Kagome and her mother have a whispered conversation. "Did he go through the well?" Mrs. H asks quietly.

A short pause while Kagome concentrates, "no, he is in the trees."

"Can he hear you?"

Kagome, sucks in her lips, and she says, "I really don't know. He's never said exactly how good those ears are. But, I do know, If I yell, he'll be here."

"Are you still comfortable talking?"

"Yes"

Kagome starts talking again in a normal tone of voice, "Now, where were I . . . Yeah, they pounded the demon to pieces and I keep looking for the piece we were after. Once I found it the fight was over." Sigh, "then things started to go downhill . . . "

"Kouga, who had heard about the piece as well, showed up."

"Kouga?" Yuka prompts.

Kagome's mother turns the pages until she comes to a picture of Kouga. It is a one-half page-sized photo of him. He is in semi-profile standing with a couple of his wolves at his side. Trees are in the background. A slightly puzzled look on his face, like he is not too sure, why he's doing this, but if Kagome asks him to do it, he will.

"Are all the guys there handsome, Kagome?"
"Is that a tail? ..."
"Are those wolves?"

"Yes, those are wolves. He is demon wolf prince. And, well, he's after the pieces too, plus . . . sighs . . . plus well . . . me."

"You!"

"Yes, he's claimed me as his mate . . . " Kagome closes her eyes, she does not want to see the explosion.

"Mate? What you're married!"
"Why didn't you tell us?!"
"What about Hojo?"

The three shout and exclaim.

"My dear . . . " Mrs. H begins . . .

"No. No. NO! I'm not his mate. He just says that, ok. I've tried to talk to him, but he just won't listen . . . " Kagome tries to explain still with her eyes shut.

Mrs. H and the three girls look at each other. "Ok . . . " one of them says.

Kagome sighs, opens her eyes, and continues, "The problem is that he and Inu-yasha really dislike each other, and well, every time they met, they fight . . . and this time was the same. They started to fight and well, they got so into fighting that they forgot where me and my bike were. And well . . . Sango caught me before I went over the cliff, but my bike and the two boys went over."

"What cliff?" ask Ayumi.
"She said she was in the mountains, Ayumi, didn't you hear her?" says Eri.
"Oh, she did?"

"Yes, I did. Anyway, the boys caught themselves before they fell all that far, but my bike, well . . . It went down two hundred, maybe three hundred, meters and into a river. Inu-yasha found it a couple of days later about 5 kilometers downstream. " Kagome lifts her head up to look at her mother, "I'll need a new bike mom, I don't know it that one can be fixed . . . "

"I've looked at it, Kagome . . . And we'll see. I think one of the neighbors mentioned something about having an extra bike they were looking to sell."

Ayumi volunteers, "I got a new bike on my birthday, the old one is just sitting there, I'll bring it over tomorrow, Kagome."

"Thank you, Ayumi." Kagome says, then continues, "Sighs . . . well the boys got into an even bigger fight about almost knocking me over a cliff and then, well, Kagura showed up in the middle of that fight."

"Kagura?" Eri prompts.

"Kagura, a beautiful female wind demon. She works for, hmm, the worse demon I know. She killed a lot of Kouga's people once, and she's tried to kill me and my friends several times. She has a lot of various wind related powers."

"Do you have a picture?" Yuka asks.

"Nope, whenever she around, I'm far to busy trying to stay alive then to worry about taking pictures . . . " Everybody looks at Kagome with worried expressions on their faces.

"You meant it when you said Kagura tried to kill you?"
"Is your life really in danger, Kagome?"
"Staying alive . . . "

Kagome grimaces, shifts to look at her mother. Her mother is just staring at her waiting for her to answer her friend's questions. She puts her head back in her mother's lap and closes her eyes.

"Kagome?" Eri asks.

Kagome shifts her head so she can talk, and she says, "Yes, when I'm over on the other side of the well, my life is in danger. But! But, Inu-yasha, Sango, Miroku and others help protect me." A small smile appears on her lips and she continues, "and on occasion, I help them stay alive. We all depend on each other."

"So, you have been hurt like this before . . . " Ayumi softly asks.

"NO! Most of the time I do not get hurt! Inu-yasha and the others get hurt a lot more often then me! I'm getting really good at first aid." Kagome's expression changes into a deep frown. "But, but, sighs, sometime they get badly hurt . . . A lot worse then I was yesterday, sometimes . . . "

Kagome looks around, her friends and her mother's expressions tell her that they will need some more convincing, but they'll accept that for now.

"To continue with my story, when she first showed up, I actually thought it was a good thing. It did stop the fight between Inu-Yasha and Kouga. And then everybody started fighting her. Tough fight, like always. Sighs . . . but . . . She used her powers to throw Miroku into the cliff side. She hurt him, badly, really badly." Kagome's eyes start to tear up and she licks her lips. "And, well, that's when I got really mad and I almost got her with my arrows."

Ayumi starts to speak up, but Eri covers her mouth before anything can get out. "Sighs . . . I came that close." Kagome holds out her hand with only a couple of centimeter between her thumb and forefinger. "Almost, but I did force her to use her powers to stop my attack and that allowed Inu-yasha to get a really good hit in. That forced her down to the ground and Kouga jumped her. Inu-yasha dog piled on and Sango and Kirara were standing by waiting for an opening so they could get her. A couple more minutes and we'd have killed her . . . "

Kagome stops for a couple of seconds, then continues, "Then she cheated . . . That fan of hers came out of pile and the next thing I know, I'm caught in small tornado being thrown against the cliff. That's how my back got hurt so badly, mom. By being throw into a cliff side by typhoon force winds. "Tears are slowly falling down her eyes.

Mrs. H is wiping the tears up with her fingers and whispers, "it's ok . . . "

"Thanks mom, sighs, anyway, I'm not sure what happens next. I got a slight concussion from the hit and I don't remember the next couple of hours all that well." Kagome mouth frowns and she is going to start crying, "I got off easy compared to Miroku. He did not wake up for the next couple days. From what Sango and Shippo told me, everybody came over to see what happened to me and Kagura escaped while they were doing that. Kouga left, he had Kagura's blood on his claws and he wanted to show them off to his tribe." Kagome looks at her three friends, looking to see if they have any questions, it's been too long since the last time they interrupted.

"Arrows?" Ayumi tentatively asks.

"Arrows? Oh I forgot, when I'm on the other side of the well, I use a bow and arrow. I'm getting better but . . . and. My arrows have a purifying force, especially when I get mad or upset."

"Purifying?" Yuka asks.

"A hm mmm . . . how to explain, but perhaps I can show . . . can I get a rubber band and a pencil?" they find some. Kagome puts the rubber band between her fingers and pulls the pencil back, just like a bow and arrow. Kagome concentrates and points the pencil at the wall. When she releases the pencil, a white glow appears and when it hits the wall, instead of bouncing off, it penetrates the wall and sticks in so far that only a fingertip length is left outside of the wall. There is a black ring on the wall around the pencil and a small puff of smoke rises. The three girls look at the wall and then at Kagome with something like awe on their faces. Kagome smiles and she say, "When I get really mad, well, I could put a crater where this house is . . . "

Kagome stops, drinks, licks her licks, and looks at the ceiling. "I, apparently even with the concussion, I still wanted to help Inu-yasha, so I went over and started to bandage him. " Kagome looks at her mother. "That's where all the blood on my shirt came from, mom." She then looks at the ceiling again and in a louder tone of voice, but not a shout, "I do not remember this but, Sango said I accidently, I did not mean to, but I stupidly called Inu-yasha, Hojo while I was putting the bandages on . . . "

"He did not like that . . . " Eri says quietly.

"No, he did not . . .. Sango knew then that I wasn't thinking straight and apologized to Inu-yasha, she said that I did to, but ." Kagome shakes her head. "But, well, he didn't believe it. I think I would have known that, but when I started to think straight again, Sango and I were very concerned about Miroku. He had this really bad head wound and his back made mine look healthy. Inu-yasha found a cave nearby. We decided not to move him all that far, I'd seen too many TV shows where they say you do not move people with head and back injures. We did what we could do, but we were days away from any help. Inu-yasha was grumpy and not good company, but I just thought that was losing out on killing Kagura, but . . . " Kagome stops, sighs. She closes her eyes, and her tears start up again.

"Do you want to stop, dear?" Mrs. H softly says as she wipes the tears up.

Kagome opens her eyes and says harshly, "I never wanted to start, mom." She takes a deep breath, and she continues, "But . . . sighs . . . perhaps talking about it will help. A couple of days later . . . Inu-yasha's . . . Inu-yasha's girlfriend showed up. She had heard about the piece too and came after it . . . "

Kagome hands close into fists and she shuts her eyes, tears slowly falling down her checks. "She goes over to Miroku and with a couple of passes of her hands, she heals him." Kagome voice roughens and she's in obvious pain just thinking about this. Her three friends all come over to her and place their hands on her, trying to comfort her. They may not know why this causes so much pain, but they'll help their friend.

"Miroku was dying . . . Sango and I knew it, but didn't want to speak about it. And she heals him, just like that . . . Gods, please, please why must I owe her for helping my friend." Tears are coming down Kagome checks. "Especially when she did it only to prove that she was better than me. She left after that, said that she only healed him because it was in her interest that he was healthy and could still gather the pieces."

Kagome stops of a few seconds and her voice gets even rougher, "And then . . . and then when she left. Inu-yasha started praising her and comparing me to her . . . then I knew he never believed me when I apologized for the Hojo mistake." Kagome stops and cries for a couple of minutes with her mother slowly rocking her.

"Sorry about that, but . . . "

"It's ok, Kagome."
"We understand."
"It's not your fault, Kagome."

Her three friends, softly tell her.

Kagome sighs, "and, well, me and Inu-yasha started fighting. You three saw the end of the fight when I came out of the well house."

"You were ten or eleven days by bike from here at that mountain, weren't you, when it started?" Kagome's mother asks.

"Yeah, but I covered the distance in three days on foot on my way back."

"Fighting inu-yasha all the time!?" the three friends exclaim and ask.

"Yes, oh, there was times when we didn't say a word, but, we were fighting the entire distance. Sigh . . . Sango and I made a litter for Miroku and they took Kirara and went to Keade for a checkup. Miroku, Sango and I wanted somebody else to check and to see exactly what . . . Inu-yasha's girlfriend did to him. Well . . . I grabbed my backpack and Inu-yasha carried my bike and I walked home."

"How far?"

"I think something like one hundred fifty kilometers, maybe more." Kagome says with a shrug.

"With that backpack on?"
"Three days!?"
"That's why your feet . . . "

"Yeah, I don't remember much of the last day. I was so beat. That's why I made the mistake that allowed you three to find out."

'"Mistake? We wanted to know what was happening to you!"
"Kagome, we want to help!"
"Yeah, we want to get involved!"

"Kagome, dear, exactly, what you do normally do, that you didn't do this time?" Mrs. H asks.

Kagome licks her lips, and says, "Well, on long trips, I normally spend a day at the village resting, washing up, and, and, ah, getting Keade to look at any small bumps or bruises I might . . . might have gotten. In addition when I go through the well, I normally stop and check to make sure nobody is outside before I open the well house door. This time I rushed to and through the well and opened the door before cleaning up or checking to make sure nobody could see me."

"Ah . . . "

"Umm, Kagome, why some long to get there, but so short a time to get back?" Eri asks.

"Oh, going there we stopped at a couple villages checking on some rumors. We accidently went up a couple of wrong trails and had to back track. Also, on the way back, I didn't stop to eat or rest all that much."

"Kagome, dear!" Mrs. H says with concern in her voice.

"Mom, when I was fighting with Inu-yasha, and well, I sort of said I was coming home as fast as I could. I also told him that I did not want him to help me and, sigh, I was stupid and well . . . now my feet and my back are telling me just how stupid I was . . . "

Everybody is silent for a couple minutes, then the girls looks at each other and start asking questions.

"Who is the Keade, person?"
"Another handsome man?"
"And that village you mentioned?"

Mrs. H opens up the album to the full page picture of Keade in front of her house. Kagome looks at her mother, with a question in her eyes. "It's Ok, dear, from what you're told me, she's the grandmother you never had."

"Keade, like my mom says, is basically my grandmother there. She helps when and how she can. The village is the old village that was here before Edo grew. There is a bunch of pictures of it in the album. It's basically where the school is now. We use it as a base to rest and regroup between trips. "

Kagome stops and looks at her mother, "Hmm, I still need to tell you about my leg, right?" Mrs. H nods.

"All right that happened yesterday," Kagome forehead creases as she thinks, "yes, yesterday morning. Sesshomaru, Inu-yasha older brother found us. Mom, I have a picture of him. And I would like to see my friend's reaction to it."

They look at each other, knowing something special is about to happen.

Mrs. H turns to the photo album page with Sesshomaru's picture on it. It's a one-half page picture of him flying in on his cloud. IT's a bit out of focus, but it's still a good photo of him.

"Ahhh . . . "
"What's the catch, Kagome?"
"I'm his . . . "

"I was taking some pictures of some flowers, when he came by that day. I managed to take that before the fight between him and Inu-yasha started."

"Yesterday?" ask Ayumi.

"What? No, this was taken a while ago. Truthfully, between going through the well and everything else, dates are starting to blend together . . . anyway, Inu-Yasha and Sesshomaru fight over their fathers swords. All the time. Very, very nasty fights too. Makes the blood stains on the shirt I had on look small, sometimes." Kagome stops for a second and the continues.

"Yesterday morning, as I was saying, he found us and, and, now that I think about it, I think he just wanted to talk about something, but Inu-yasha . . . After a couple of days of fighting with me, well, Inu-yasha was looking for something to kill and his brother, as far as Inu-yasha was concerned, just volunteered. When I tried to stop the fight, Sesshomaru grabbed me by my leg and held me over his head upside down. " Kagome shacks her head and continues.

"I think he was just using me as a way to stop Inu-yasha, but, he made a stupid comment about my panties and I kneed him in the nose." she finishes with a rush.

"You hit him!"
"What did he say?"
"That was stupid . . . "

"Yes, it was, and that's when he burned my leg. He can, through his hand, release a very powerful acid. He just released enough to try to get me to stop struggling."

"And you did stop, right?" Yuka asks.

"Umm, No, I didn't."

"You still fought on . . . "
"That was brave!"
"That was stupid . . . "

"What did you do, dear?" Mrs. H asks.

"Hmm. This is embarrassing. One of Inu-yasha's attacks had cut his clothes right at where the leg joins the body." Kagome points and draws a slash on Eri leg right at the crouch area.

"And, well, I reached thru the hole in his clothes, and" Kagome licks her lips, "and I grabbed his balls and twisted . . . "

"..."
"..."
"..."

"Worked. Dropped me like a hot potato. I've never seen him run as fast as he did then." Kagome smiles, "The first time, I caused him to run away, normally it's Inu-yasha." Kagome's smile just gets bigger. "Something to tease him with next time . . . "

"Won't he try to kill you next time?" Eri asks with concern in her voice.

Kagome shrugs, "He already has. He can't hate me any worse than he already did."

"I think that was everything important that happened last week . . . " Kagome looks at her mother. Mrs. H, pauses, then she nods.

"Good, Now it's time for our questions!" Yuka exclaims.

Kagome closes her eyes for a few seconds, and then looking at her friends, "Eri, Ayumi, Yuka, Umm mm, I'm still pretty beat up and I've already done a lot of talking, so, I'm sorry to ask this, but . . . "

"You want to know if we can ask our questions later . . . "

"Yes, I am really sorry, but I'm feeling really tried right now . . . "

They look at each other and look at Kagome's mother. Mrs. H, bites her lips, then says, "Would it be ok if I tell them what I know Kagome?"

"Huh, yes . . . no problem."

"Ok, girls, let me put her to bed and I'll be back to talk. I won't be able to talk too long. Sota and Kagome's grandfather will be back soon. But . . . " Kagome hands Ayumi the album. "Here look through this while I'm gone."

End chapter Three

Authors' notes: for people that don't know the metric system. Kagome walked, in a raw wildness of hills and mountains, for more than 100 miles in three days (basically more than a marathon a day). She did this with 70 to 90 pounds on her very sore back. The last day with a very sore lower left leg . . .

The adventure Kagome described above is basically correct. She did not leave out any major encounter. However, she did gloss over the two days watching Miroku slowly die. What happened above is only a fraction of the scene. Even had Sango and Kagome at each others throats. I did not want it to interrupt the story above. I would like to write that scene, but I don't care to write the whole adventure . . . hh mmm . . . I'll probably add it as an extra chapter. Unless somebody wants to write the complete adventure. (I can help, I know the scenes, they're not written but I know the plot).


Sess. comment for those interested: "Why do you still allow her to wear underwear, doesn't that interfere?"

Mmm . . . this was going to be a Kagome and her friend's story. Her friends finding out about Sango and they are NOT happy that they are no longer Kagome best friends. Plus the issue of trust, since Kagome has been lying to them. But my inspiration for that has vanished and well... Mrs. H told me that this is her story now and I'm not going to argue with her. Now it's a Kagome and her mother story . . . I'll go with the flow . . .