InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ when friends find out ❯ chapter 4 Mrs H vs Inu-yasha ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter four

Inu-yasha's hearing for the purposes of this story: He heard the conversations when everybody was speaking normally. Whispers, on the hand, he did not hear well. (A word or two, but nothing he could make sense of)
______________________

In Kagome's bedroom.

"Ugh hh . . . " Kagome groans as she lays face down on her bed. "Tried . . . and I still hurt"

"Your feet and back, Kagome?"

"Yes, how does my back look anyway."

"Do you really want to know?"

"No. not really . . . "

"It's better than it was. You," Mrs. H bites her lips, "You seem to heal a lot faster than I thought . . . "

"Yes, Keade thinks that I heal faster because of my powers and the small amount of training she's given me. Sigh . . . If only I could have healed Miroku . . . "

Mrs. H sits next to her daughter, holds her hands and softly says, "You did everything you could, I'm sure. Don't punish yourself. You're not a doctor."

"I know, and unfortunately, I'm not a fully trained miko either . . . "

"Kagome . . . "

"I'll try to stop thinking about it, mom . . . " Kagome looks at her mother. "Do you think the album will occupy them long enough for us to talk?"

"I'm sure we have at least a few minutes, dear."

"Mother, did you learn what you were after?"

Kagome's mothers mouth twitches into a small smile, "I didn't realize I was that transparent . . . But, yes, I learned more than I thought I would, dear."

Mrs. H gets off the bed and kneels beside the bed, and she looks at Kagome's eyes and says softly. "I know you don't want to tell me the bad things. You're afraid I'll stop you."

"Yes . . . " Kagome softly whispers . . .

"Kagome, you're in a fairy tale." Mrs. H whispers, "In many of those stories the mothers of the heroic princesses, like you," she has a small smile on her face, "are the bad guys. I, never, ever want to be an evil mother in a fairy tale. If I stop you, I'll become the evil mother . . . " she says and tears start to well up in her eyes. She whispers, "I made a promise to you in my womb, that I would be a good mother, not a bad one . . . "

Kagome reaches over and drags her mother into a somewhat awkward hug, since she is still laying down, but heartfelt hug. "Mom, no matter what, I will never, ever consider you an evil mother. I promise you that . . . " Tears begin to well up in her eyes as well.

The two women share a quiet cry as they hug each other.

"You might have to test that promise soon, Kagome . . . " Mrs h starts talking again in a normal tone of voice.

"School . . . "

"Some, but there are other reasons."

"Huh?"

"When I gossip with the neighbors some awkward, and lengthening silences are happening. Also when officer Nomo comes by on his route, he is asking questions. I haven't had to lie to him yet, but. Then. Then there are parent teacher meetings."

"Bad . . . " Kagome whispers as she licks her lips.

"... The next time one is scheduled, I think, your grandfather will need to go to the hospital that day . . . "

"I'm sorry, mom . . . "

"Shhh, you stop that, it's not your fault." Mrs. H continues, "And now your friends are going to want to help you. They will come up with new rumors to explain your disappearances and spread them faster and farther then your grandfather ever could."

"Can we stop them?"

"Kagome."

"Sigh, I know, stupid question, of course, there is no way to stop them . . . "

"They'll add confusion to the situation and give you even more time either, or, or they will cause . . . "

"Cause you to have to answer questions you can't answer, mom . . . "

"yes . . . "

Kagome takes a deep breath, looks her mother in the eye and says, "If that happens, I'll . . . "

Kagome's mother puts her hand over her daughter's mouth and says, "Shhh, Don't say another word. If it happens, make your decision then. Don't lock yourself it into a promise."

They share another hug.

"Mother, what do I tell them."

"Who? Your friends? The truth, or at least as much as you feel comfortable talking about."

"But . . . They know and I've lied to them so many times . . . "

"If they are your friends, they will understand and will forgive you. Like I have." Kagome's mother says to her with a small smile, and continues, "Now, you get some rest, please. I'll be back soon."

"Yes, I need to go to school tomorrow . . . "

"No, Kagome, you will not be going to school tomorrow. You will rest up and heal up. That is final."

"But"

"One day is not going to make a difference. You can go to school in a couple of days."

There is a loud squeal from downstairs.

Kagome smiles, "I think they got to the last page, mom . . . "

"Yes, they probably did. I'm going now, please get some rest." Kagome's mother stands up and leaves the room.

Downstairs . . .

A few minutes ago . . .


The three friends watch Kagome, with her mothers support, go up the stairs to her room.

Yuka whispers, "Well . . . guys . . . "

Eri also whispers, "This going to be good . . . "

Ayumi says, "you know we're going to have to help her out at school."

"Of Course." The other two chorus.

"Lets look through the book, and tonight, we call each other and start planning." Eri says.

As they look through the book, "oh, ah hh, look at this" is repeated many times as they look at the pictures. But they still talk to each other as they look.

"Do you think Kagome was lying?"

"No, but I don't think we learned everything, though."

"I still can't get over she lied to us . . . "

"You can bug her about it tomorrow."

"Yeah, and then there's Inu-yasha . . . "

"She put us off today, but tomorrow after school . . . "

"I'm more worried by this Sango person."

"Yeah, how long have we known Kagome . . . "

Eri proudly says, "Remember, that the doctor that delivered me was the same as Kagome's and we were only born a week apart in the same hospital. We've been together ever since."

Yuka and Ayumi with annoyance in their voices say, "yes, we know, how many times have you told us that . . . "

"Sorry . . . "

"We are going to have to make sure we've still her best friends . . . "

"How?"

"We'll think of something . . . "

All three girls loudly squeal as they get to the last picture in the book.

It is a full page picture of Kagome and Inu-yasha. Inu-yasha has his arm draped across Kagome's shoulders. There is a very bright smile on Kagome's face. Inu-yasha, on the hand, is glaring at the camera. His clothes have grass stains on them.

"How Cute!"
"What a couple!"
"How I wish I was Kagome . . . "

They are still excitedly talking about the picture when Kagome's mother comes downstairs.

"I see you found the last page." Mrs. H says with a smile as she walks up behind the girls.

"Yes!"
"Do you know the story behind the picture?!"
"Can I get a copy?!"

"Actually, I do know the story behind this one. Kagome had been showing Sango how to work the camera" the three friends' looks at each other and then look back at Mrs. H, "and she wanted a picture of herself and Inu-yasha. The grass stains on Inu-yasha are from the sits it took before Inu-yasha would agree to the pose."

'Mrs. Higurashi, what do you mean by sits"
"Yes, that Sit, boy routine earlier"
"Yes, Kagome never explained it."

"There is a magic necklace around Inu-yasha's neck. Whenever Kagome, and only Kagome, says sit, boy, Inu-yasha is subdued by throwing him to the ground." A small smile twitches on Mrs. H face. "As you so saw, he does not like it."

"Yes . . . "

"As far as a copy of the picture goes, Ayumi, Kagome will make that decision. But I will warn you, she's told me she doesn't want even me to make copies . . . "

"oh"

"As I said yesterday girls, Kagome wants this to remain a secret. I cannot stress that enough. Which is why she doesn't want copies of these photos made. Say whatever you wish, but never tell anyone about the well house, Inu-yasha, or anything else Kagome tells you." Kagome's mother says as she sternly looks at the three girls.

"We promised . . . "

"I know. It just never hurts to remind people." She pauses then continues. "Now, go ahead and ask your questions and I'll see what I can answer." Mrs. H holds up her hand in a stop symbol.

"But, I will warn you right now, Kagome does not tell me a lot about her adventures. She does not want me to worry about her." A rueful smile crosses her lips. "Not that it changed anything, I still worried. Just don't be disappointed when I tell you that I don't know . . . "

"We're Home, Mom!" shouts Sota

"How's Kagome?" asks Mrs. H's father as they walk through the front door.


"She's fine. She's upstairs resting." Mrs. H says to the two as they enter and then to the three girls she says, "I am sorry, but . . . "

"We're just going to have to corner her tomorrow to ask our questions."

"I am sorry, but yes . . . " Kagome's mother bows to the three girls, "Also, she will not be going to school tomorrow, I want her to heal up. After school, if you wish to come by and talk to her, that is fine."

The three girls stand up and bow to Mrs. H. The look at each other and Eri says, "We understand. We'll see Kagome tomorrow, then. Thank you for letting us looks at the photos and telling us the truth."

"Shhh, girls, I know without any doubt Kagome has always disliked lying to you. She wanted to keep this a secret. and not telling you about her adventures was something I know she hated. I'm sure now that you girls know, Kagome will be a lot more open than she has been since the well opened up."

Kagome's three friends leave . . .

Sota's room just before dining . . .

Sota opens his windows and in a stage whisper calls out, "Inu-yasha! Come here!"

Inu-yasha head shows up at the upper edge of the window. "Yeah"

"We're about to eat. While we're eating, I'll leave my window open it so you can visit Kagome. Just remember, mom's going to be going up to her room after eating, so, you'll have to leave pretty quickly."

"Feh"

"Sota! Time to eat!" Mrs. H calls from the kitchen.

"You can tell me about killing the monster that hurt my sister, later . . . " Sota says as he leaves the room.

Inu-yasha looks around, making sure nobody sees him, and listens to be sure that everyone is sitting down to eat. He goes through the window and walks through the house until he enters Kagome's room. When he gets there, Kagome is asleep on her bed. He goes to her, sits down on the bed and starts to run his left hand through her hair. He whispers, "All of this is my fault. I didn't believe you about calling me hobo . . . If only . . . " His right hand closes into a fist, his claws digging into his palm.

"I'm afraid, Kagome. You're hurt and your mother knows. I'm afraid she'll stop you. I'm afraid she'll trick me into thinking you can go. Then when I'm gone, she'll seal the well. I hated to leave you even for a short time. Even if it meant disobeying your mother, I want to stay next to you." Blood starts to drip from his closed right hand as his claws go into his skin.

"If she stops you . . . If she tries to keep us apart. Even after all the times I've been nice and polite and all the rubbing my ears have taken... if being polite ain't working... there are other ways... I'll fight her, Kagome." He finishes in a harsh whisper. "Nobody will keep us apart." And he says with a growl. "Even your mother."

"Do I grab you, go down the well, and destroy it now or wait and give her the chance to stop you?" he whispers.

He opens his right fist and holds it up so he can stare at it. As he watches the blood drip and the small cuts heal, he growls out, "I'll ask her tonight. And if the answer is... " He closes it again even harder then before. His attention turns to Kagome and as his left hand continues to brush her hair, he just stares at her a soft loving expression on his face. "You're mine, Kagome." Until he hears the family break up from dinner, he just stays in her room, running his fingers through her hair.

Sota, on the way to his room, opens up Kagome's door, and says, "Inu-yasha, mom is cleaning up, so you have to leave . . . " but he realizes he is speaking to air. Only the sleeping Kagome is in her room. Sota goes over to the open window, shuts and, out of habit, locks it.

Later that night . . . everybody else is in bed . . .

Mrs. H goes outside to the God tree and sits down against the large, old trunk. "Inu-yasha, could you please come down here," she says with a normal volume and conversational tone of voice.

There is rustling in the leaves and Inu-yasha drops down a couple of meters in front of her. "What do you want?"

"To talk to you, of course." She says as she looks at him. "Could you, please, come here, Inu-yasha." She pats the ground next to her.

He pauses, then spits out, "Are you going to stop her?"

Mrs. H, lifts an eyebrow and says, "My, A very direct question, inu-yasha."

"I am not polite, never had been. Answer my question." He growls out.

"So I see," Mrs. H replies. And after a short pause she says, "Inu-yasha, my instinct, as her mother, hates the idea of her leaving me. Whenever she does, I worry. Whenever she comes back crying or hurt because of you, I hurt as well." She is staring Inu-yasha in the eyes with a hard glint in her eyes by the time she finishes talking. Inu-yasha, smiles to show his fangs and starts to flex his fingers. A hard glint appearing in his eyes as he stares back.

"As a person who has grown up in this era," she waves her hands at the street lights and other evidence of modern life, she then starts talking again, "every time, Kagome, misses a day of school, I get upset. On your side of the well, being the meanest person is the way to success. On this side of the well, being the smartest person is the way to success." She finishes by taping her finger on her forehead.

A slight smile appears on her face and she surprises Inu-yasha when she says, "I'll even tell you a secret, not even Kagome knows. When I went to school, I daydreamed my way through it. Only my skill with a brush, and I'm very skilled, allowed my teachers to ignore my other numerous failures. My daughter is smarter than I am. I want her to be the best person she can be, Inu-yasha. Don't you want her to be the best she can be?" she asks.

Inu-yasha is startled by the question, he was building himself into a killing rage and the question surprised him. "Huh? Yeah."

"Good, I thought so. My instincts tells me to keep her here. My judgment as a person that knows what's best for her, tells me to keep her here." By the time Mrs. H has reached this point. Inu-yasha is standing over her. His claws outstretched and he is staring her in the face with a murderous gleam in his eyes. Mrs. H is staring right back at him, without expression. "But, Inu-yasha. I will go against my instincts and my better judgment. And I will allow my daughter to return."

Inu-yasha lets out a large "wwwooooffff" and backs away a few meters from Mrs. H. Surprise and questions appear in his eyes.

Mrs H says in a slightly lecturing tone of voice, "Also, Inu-yasha, please do not try to act like you are going to hurt me. I know you are only acting, and badly over acting at that. My daughter cares about you." Slight smile, "Probably more than she'll ever admit. But, no matter how much she cares about you, hurting me would close her heart to you. So hurting me is the worse thing you could ever do."

Inu-yasha goes white. Once it has been pointed out to him, his mistake is obvious. His fear about being separated from Kagome clouded his judgment. He has made many mistakes over the years, but never has he come this close making a mistake this big in his life.

She pauses for a minute watching various expressions of emotions chase themselves over his face, and then continues in a much lighter tone of voice. "Now, Inu-yasha, I do have other things to talk to you about, so please come here beside me."

He pauses, then sits about down right where he is a couple of meters away. "Please, Inu-yasha, next to me. You are still in my doghouse."

"What's a doghouse?"

"I'm still upset at you at the way my daughter arrived here." He growls. "If you wish to get out of my doghouse, I would think about doing what I ask of you."

Inu-yasha, grunts outs "Feh . . . " Looks around, "that's my favorite spot, moves over." He says, not looking at her, as he sits next to her.

"Thank you, Inu-yasha" Mrs. H sighs, "I'm not sure what to do with you, Inu-yasha. When one of my children gets into my doghouse, I can punish them and then I can forgive them and everything will be fine. With you, my normal methods won't work."

"Good. I'm not a child . . . "

"I did not mean to say you were, Inu-yasha. I think you are young man. A bit rough around the edges, of course, but not a child."

"Feh."

She reaches over and puts her hand over Inu-yasha hand. He stares at it and then looks her in the face. "I've thought about how to punish you."

"Don't I get to say my side of the story?" he asks her in a menacing tone.

"Oh, You heard what Kagome said this afternoon. Did my daughter lie to me?"

"I! fucking! tried to take that goddamn bag from her, and she sits me! I try to carry her and she sits me!" he says raging at the memory of watching Kagome walk home.

Mrs. H raises an eyebrow. "Did you, perhaps, think to apologize before she sealed the well house?"

"..."

"Now, about your punishment. I dislike physical punishments. Moreover, I think, dragging you over my knees and spanking you would be the worse thing I could do. I'm sure your childhood was filled with many scenes like that."

"What do you know about my fucking childhood ?" He grunts out.

"Nothing. Just that it must have been difficult. Also physically challenging you is not something I want to do."

He sits back with a smug look on his face. "Feh. Afraid of me."

"No. Never think that Inu-yasha." She looks him in the face staring hard at him. They get into a staring contest. Time stretches . . .

A police siren starts to wail in the distance and both glance in that direction.

"It's just that method is not going to work with you."

"Feh"

"I thought about withholding the ramen." She gets a small smile on her face as she watches a very concerned expression appear on his face.

"But, my daughter is very resourceful and I'm sure she and her friends could still get it for you. Besides, I have been gossiping with my neighbors, and they have been talking about a white-haired man with a red shirt lately."

Inu-yasha face gets a little red and under his breath he whispers, "shit, I thought I wasn't seen . . . "

"So, I'm sure even if Kagome and her friends couldn't get it, you could still get ramen, Inu-yasha. I don't like giving out punishments, where you can get around it. So, I'm not going to waste, your or my time with that type of a punishment."

Inu-yasha tries, unsuccessfully, to hide a small woof as he lets out the breath he has been holding.

"Hmm. Perhaps I need to rethink that, "she says with a small smile.

"No. I have been looking around and I can get ramen on my own." he quickly says.

"Hmm, Inu-yasha, just for your information, the metal boxes with food inside them take money. If you need some, just ask me. Don't destroy the box . . . "

"Feh . . . "

"While listening to Kagome's friends this afternoon, I thought of another possible punishment."

"Feh . . . "

"I thought about locking you in the same room with them for an hour or so . . . "

"..." The frighted expression on Inu-yasha face causes Mrs. H to break out in giggles. "Are you? ..."

"I thought about it, but . . . I don't hate you or them enough to do it. Although, I will say this, Kagome would think very highly of you, if you could try to talk to them nicely for at least a little while."

"Feh"

"I was going to ask you if you had any suggestions for your punishment."

Inu-yasha's mouth gets a small grin, he gets to choose his punishment . . .

"But, while sitting here next to you, I've decided on something else." She grins, reaches up and grabs one of his ears. "You are taking a bath. And I'm going to make sure you clean up everything . . . "

She gets up and starts dragging Inu-yasha by his ear into the house, ignoring his protests . . .

Kagome's room, later . . .

Kagome groggily wakes up to Inu-yasha shaking her. "Hide me! Kagome! Your Mother's Fucking crazy!"

"Inu-yasha, what . . . " Kagome starts, but then looks at inu-yasha. Inu-yasha is nude, dripping wet, and head to toe covered in shampoo, (Mrs., H likes a very strongly scented flowery shampoo, BTW).

"Inu-yasha! Hiding in Kagome's room is not going to make me happy!" Mrs. H yells through the door. "And if you wake her up, I going to be really upset!" the doorknob twists and Mrs. H bursts into the room. Kagome's mother is also dripping wet and is also covered in shampoo, although she does have on a bra and panties. Inu-yasha in his panic breaks the window and is about to jump out.

"Kagome!" Mrs. H yells.

"Huh? Oh, Sit, boy . . . "

Thump!

"Bitch! Help me! Not her!"

Mrs. H, taking advantage of the sit, runs over and grabs hold of Inu-yasha's ear again as she drags him back into the bathroom. Inu-yasha is cursing all the time.

"Just for that I will wash out that mouth with soap. And I will teach you how to brush your teeth."

Kagome puts her pillow over her head and starts to chant. "I'm not hearing this. I'm not seeing this. This is a dream . . . "

"Help me, Kagome! Kagome! Please!" Inu-yasha's cries as the bathroom door slams shut. "KKAAGGOOMMEE!!"

Kagome hears Sota say in a small voice, "Mom's nuts . . . "

Kagome lifts herself up from the bed, looks at her brother who is standing the doorway, and she says in a deadpan voice, "You are just now noticing that . . . "


End chapter four.

End of the main story.

Authors' note. A hm mmm. I think I'll stop it there. My inspiration for continuing is a bit lacking. While the scene where Kagome tries to explain Inu-yasha, kikyo and the triangle between them would be interesting. It's just not coming. The dialog is just flat and boring...

Sighs . . . I had wanted to explore Sango/Kagome/the three friends' triangle, but without cheating and bringing Sango thru, (or the three friends thru the other way), I just don't have the inspiration. There's a story there, I cannot see Kagome's three friends just letting their place as Kagome's best friend be taken over without a fight. In addition the trust factor among the four, now that everybody knows Kagome was lying to her best friends. But the story just isn't coming . . .

Inu-yasha vs mrs h scene. Most fanfics I've read have inu-yasha suddenly turn into a mild-mannered puppy with mrs. H. I don't mind that behavior normally, but most fanfics almost don't have inu-yasha frighted that mrs h is going to stop kagome. So I decided to go the other way. Physical intimidation and violence is what he knows best and what he is most comfortable with. He is over-reacting. From his point of view, every bruise, cut, burn, that Kagome acquired on her trip home is directly his fault. He did not believe her apology and that caused the fight. And his worrying about mrs h stopping kagome gets out-of-hand. He convinces himself, Ignoring any evidence to the opposite, that mrs h is going to stop kagome.

That scene was difficult and I'm still not entirely happy with it but...I do like how it turned out.

I will post a ch 3a with the scene with miroku dying and sango and kagome trying to care for him.