InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ When Will You Return To Me? (Continuation to the Power of Ai ❯ Crossing Swords ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Chapter 9
Crossing Swords
 
“There it is milord your new castle, in a matter of minutes we'll be there and you can claim it as your own.” “Yes Ansong and all of this was possible because my lady was by my side.” He kissed Ming on her cheek. “Are you ready my love?” “Yes sire let's claim that property for the land of Shin-Si.” They walked the remainder of the day until the reached the outskirts of the western village where they gathered up a plan of attack. “Ming I want you to scout the town for any information regarding the ruler here and exactly what battle outcomes he's had in the past, what kind of fighters he had. What locations we can enter in okay.” “Sir I'm sorry but that's a bit too much for me to do alone, can you not send in Ansong too?” Cheju shook his head, “I'm sorry but he'll be here with me gathering up a plan so we need you to do some recognizance.” Ming sighed heavily, “Ok but it will take a while.” He nodded and went back to giving Ansong instruction.
 
“This isn't a job for a woman, but I guess.” She walked up to the gate and knocked. “Yes?” “Uh...hello my name is Ming I've come from the continent to meet with your lord. I am a diplomat from another country.” She crossed her fingers in hopes it would help. “Miss we weren't expecting you so soon, the emperor left last night we expect him soon, I think.” “Does your emperor always leave for long amounts of time without notice?” “I'm afraid so...we are trying to come up with a solution to that.”
“I see...is there anyone else here I can meet?” “Why yes miss there is, excuse me, I'll retrieve them.” “Sure.” She stood there waiting nervously hoping that on one will see through her guise. “High Priest Monk Miroku with wife and child, Sango and Kohaku.” They bowed and shook hands. Kilala ran from the entry way and jumped into Ming's arms. “Oh! Aren't you cute.” She petted the cats head. “Kilala how dare you jump onto someone, how rude!” The cat looked confused but jumped down anyway. “Oh no please that's okay, I like cats.” Sango smiled. “Oh you do great.” “Yeah I have one his name is Buyo.” Ming grabbed her head. “Ouch... I'm sorry may I sit?” They nodded and sat also.
 
This castle is very beautiful may I ask how many guards there are to protect a place such as this.” “There are about 300.” “That many? He must need protection around the clock.”
Sango smiled. “No not really, he is pretty good in protecting himself.” “Well with that many soldiers he must have won many battles.”
“Actually no his army is newly formed no chance to go to battle.” After Ming got all of the information needed she sat and talked with them like they were old friends and she had a ball playing with baby Kohaku. “I'm sorry but I must leave. I have other courts and kingdoms to visit I hope to return once your King does.” They all bid her farewell and then the questions came.
Ming walked out of the grounds with a smile on her face and it quickly turned sour knowing that Cheju would probably kill them.
 
Back at the castle
 
“She said she was a foreigner?” “Yes she did, why?” “Well she looks to be Japanese.” “What does it matter what she looks like, she is just a foreign dignitary. What is wrong?” “I'm not sure, but she seems really familiar to me.” They tried to dismiss it as a passing thought.
 
In the future...
 
Crash!
“Mom! Mom what happened? Are you okay?” asked Souta panting from running from upstairs to the kitchen. He looked on the floor to see dishes broken into thousands of pieces. “Mom wha-.... Inuyasha?” Souta punched him in the arm. “You broke your promise!” The promise Inuyasha made to the boy a couple of months ago to visit for a week. “Souta, a few things have happened since I last saw you.” “Yeah, I know you forgot!” “Souta never mind that! Inuyasha what are you here for?”
 
“Mother, I mean Saito...” Saito cut him off. “You can call me mother.” Inuyasha's heart lightened up just by her letting him call her that. “Mother...I...I promise you I will do everything I can to make up for my not protecting Kagome. I can't tell you what but I will make it up to you Souta give me sometime I'll be back, I promise and I won't break it!” He left just as quickly as he came. He couldn't tell them that it was possible that Kagome may still be alive; he didn't want to get the family's hopes up in case he was wrong. He leapt back into the well to his own time. As he entered Kaede's village he saw the villagers who appeared to be waiting for him. Shinsuke one of the villagers who worked closely with Kaede stepped forward. “Inuyasha-sama, this is the last writ of Priestess Kaede she wanted you to have it after she passed. He placed it into a satchel and decided to read it when his goal was complete.
He left the village planning on taking the long way home to plan out what information he needed to gather, and who to talk to. Kagome if you're out there I'm coming for ya'. Please don't be too far gone from me...
He began his trek back to his territory.
 
Outskirts of the Castle
 
Ming was just entering the gates to the castle as the torrential rain poured out from the smoky gray sky. Ansong looked out from the window, “My lord she's back! I'm so excited! Soon you'll own the land!” She leapt from the horse with a heavy heart, regretting receiving information from the nice people in the castle, knowing that Cheju wouldn't spare them, not even their cute little boy. “Welcome back my lady...was your trip enlightening?” She smiled a false smile, knowing that what they were doing was wrong but she couldn't turn her back on Cheju, not now. She had orders and she was intent to follow the man she loved, or at least she thought she loved. Cheju sat at the foot of a tall tree, awaiting Ming's information. “My lord...I have the information you need.” Nodded in wait. Ming gave all of openings, the battle details, and what little information given to her about the emperor of that land. Cheju salivated with anticipation of the on coming onslaught on the unsuspecting villagers and their Lord. “Ming get some rest, Ansong and I will remain up to revamp our plans and tomorrow we strike.” “T...Tomorrow? So soon my lord, we've just received the information don't you think we need more time to plan? And I'm sure staying up all night will not help with the capture of this empire.” Cheju and Ansong laughed aloud. “Ahha haha, Ming my dear you forget that I am demon, and this emperor is always gone even so I am more than enough for him.” Ming was a little hurt that he laughed in her face, but she sincerely worried that he was underestimating who this emperor might be, but in only a few hours she would see if her hunch was right.
 
Daybreak...
 
Oh, it's still raining...the rain must be showing my feelings. I hope we can do this without bloodshed. “Ming!” the shout of her name snatched her from her daze. “Coming!” She ran down stairs to see Cheju fully deck out in battle armor. “You're ready I see.” “Naturally, you're taking the white horse, no one will think you'll be a introduction to our attack.” She nodded and went outside and saddled up and set out ahead. “Are you ready sir?” Cheju pulled on the reigns and the horse let out a loud neigh, “Let's go!” they all rode to the castle and arrived by nightfall, although with the rain you couldn't tell. “Alright Ming go!” she set the tip of the arrow up and shot it at a home of a random villager. As soon as the arrow struck the roof panic and paranoia set through the village. One of the village's heralds ran and rang the bell of warning. Immediately the army sprung into action. Cheju felt the excitement rise and he clicked his heels on the horses flank and ran straight through the village slashing anyone who stood in their way, Ansong rode at his master's side laughing the whole way. Ming who appeared to be riding proudly was really tormented inside, but she promised herself she'd help Cheju. She shot at the innocents trying to flee from danger.
Miroku and Sango ran outside to see what the commotion was about, “Oh my god the village is getting attacked! But....they're coming this way!” Sango went to get her boomerang bone when Ming's arrow was shot in her path. “You? You are the woman who came to see the emperor yesterday! No wonder those questions were all about the castle, you asked us those questions to attack us!” Ming drew back another bow, “Don't move, I have no wish to kill you but if you do I promise you I will.” Sango called her bluff and moved, Ming answered back with a set of arrows Sango's way, Miroku tried to shield her with his body. “No!” Miroku held his hand up in protest as the arrows came close to his wife and himself. One of the arrows struck his left hand, but the arrow didn't go through, it was sucked up! Sango opened her eyes feeling a familiar air pressure emanating from Miroku. “Oh no! The wind tunnel it's back!” Miroku's knees began to buckle at the sight of the curse that left his hand only a few months before. All he could think while trying to save his wife was; Please close, please close, please, please, please close!! And that's exactly what it did. “What?” Sango was just as astonished, “Did...did your wind tunnel just close?” “Yes, it appears to have. I was just wishing it was closed and I guess it just listened.” Sango looked out at the enemies, “Look more arrows!” “Ok, let's see if it'll open again, Kazaana!” The black vortex was now under his control. “Sango go! Go check on Kohaku; see if his hand has been cursed.” Sango gasped realizing that it also killed others before Miroku and that her young son may now have one. She ran swiftly, “Kohaku!” Kirara was keeping the baby safe, but quickly stood down when she saw her owner. “Kohaku let me see your hands.” She carefully observed them checking for any signs of a vortex. She let out a sigh of relief. “Ok you're fine, I'm going to help your father ok. Kirara when you feel its getting too dangerous you take him to Kaede's village.” The cat mewed its understanding and kept the baby busy. Sango changed into her combat clothes and ran to her husband's side. “Hiraikotsu!” The boomerang sent arrows flying back towards Ming. Just then she had a flashback of that woman dodging what appeared to be arrows, she decided to do the same. Sango looked at the woman and gasped sharply. “Kagome!” Ming had finally had it; she was going to find out who this Kagome woman was. Cheju stopped her be standing near her, “I am sick of her, I'm going to kill them.” “No!” Cheju looked puzzled, “What? Don't kill them you ask? Why?!” She wanted to cower but this family didn't deserve to die. “She has a family...when I met her the other day her son was so cute and her husband was so loving. I don't want you to kill them.” “Dokasso!” Cheju turned gracefully to avoid getting struck. “Humph, you're back? I thought you fled out of embarrassment.” Sesshomaru smirked, “As if I'd flee to a mere cat like you, in the nature of things the cat fears the dog. You're kind screech in fear to a superior “animal” like myself, and the fact that you're nothing but an outcast...makes you lower than my half-brother. In order for me to flee from you I'd have to bow to my brother first.” Cheju fumed at these words, and changed into his purest form, (think of a tiger the size of Sesshomaru in his demon form) “Damn you!” “What's the matter Cheju, afraid to fight me in your normal form?” Cheju swiped his large paw at Sesshomaru and knocked him into several trees. “Sesshomaru!”
 
In the sky was Rin calling out to her husband, “Rin what the hell are you doing here?!” Cheju looked up and saw a chance to defeat Sesshomaru without getting his hands dirty, he flew toward Rin with mouth ajar to swallow her whole. Sesshomaru tried to get up but his ribs were badly bruised, “Don't! Rin move!” Rin screamed aloud as Cheju got closer to her but Ming shot and arrow in his path. “Ming what the hell has gotten into you?” “Don't do this Cheju, that girl has no right to die! Please leave her alone!” “Ming do you not see what this girl is?” He implanted false visions of Rin wearing priestess clothing. Ming was once again trapped in Cheju's trance as she stalked towards Rin. “Ahh! Kagome stop! Please!” Ah-un shot a plasma blast at Ming greatly injuring her. “Ming!” Cheju ran to Ming's side. “You damn beast! Look at what you have done! I'm going to kill you!” Cheju roared sending the two headed dragon and his passengers flying. “Rin! No!” Sesshomaru changed into his demonic form and ran just in time to catch his wife, child and transporting pet. “Are you two alright?” Rin cried as she held on to her daughter, “Yes, we're okay. Sesshomaru I'm sorry but I don't think this is an enemy you can defeat.” Sesshomaru clinched his already narrow eyes, “I can defeat him and I will!” he allowed them down and went back to battle.
 
Inside the castle
“General! We need to attack them now! They'll destroy the castle!” “I know that Amaterasu! I have the battle plan, Amaterasu you and your squad go through the left side and...” General Shigeru explained the plans and then they all ran out to try and defend they're homeland. Amaterasu instantly spotted Ming and she ran toward her at full throttle. “Raghh! You cannot have him!” Amaterasu swung her daggers at Ming nearly getting her but Ming surprisingly pulled out a staff and began to counter Amaterasu's attacks. “Who are you talking about?” Amaterasu panted in-between her statements. “You...know...exactly...what I'm...talking about! You want the emperor!” Ming stopped, “What?” *slice, rip* “Ahh!” Ming's right arm had a scratch on it with her blood spilling from it. “I told you I was not going to let you have him... I'll kill you before I let you come back into his life.” Ming clutched her arm tightly, “I have no idea who you are talking about, and I've never met your emperor!”
Amaterasu looked down at Ming. “You did a few days ago...you allowed your horse to step upon his feet. “Him! Then that's coincidence I did not know who he was! Wait a minute what makes you think I want him? All I'm here to do is to kill him...what do you know about a woman named Kagome?” “Nothing! I have no idea who that woman is!” Sango spoke up, “No, that's not true! She knows who Kagome is, she is you! Kagome open your eyes don't you see that man is trying to poison your mind! I didn't realize it yesterday but there was something so familiar about you in the getup that I didn't notice it was you until I seen your archery, no one shoots an arrow like you, come on Kagome think! Remember us before you do something you'll regret.”
Cheju was right at her side now, he spared no time in polluting Ming's mind since these people seemed to be familiar with her he thought his spell would wear off. “Ming these people just don't want to die, they're just biding their time until the “powerful” emperor arrives, and let's just end them all.” “I just don't know Cheju...” he handed her the tainted jewel, “These people don't want you and I to have happiness... don't let them deprive us like we were deprived in Shin-Si!” “You see this army; you can dispatch of them in mere moments with the jewel of life...you have the power to give and take away, what are you going to do?”
 
She clutched the jewel in her hands so unsure of what to do but she knew that she wanted to help Cheju, “I will be here for you Cheju... I'll do what's best for our land.” She held the jewel to her chest, closed her eyes and ascended, all eyes were on her as she chanted words to get the jewel to glow a beautiful glow. When she opened her eyes all she saw were countless numbers of priestess' and it helped boost the fury she needed to make the jewel all the more powerful. This is exactly what Cheju needed the spell he cast when he touched her shoulder, this is a spell he hoped on using if ever Ming showed any dissent if the impending battle got tough. He looked up at her proud of his power and knew his victory was coming to him soon.
 
Ming looked down on all of the white and red figures, still unaware it was an illusion, she began her frustrated tirade. “I HATE ALL OF YOU!!! YOU TRIED TO KILL ME! YOU TRIED TO TAKE HIM AWAY FROM ME! ALL I WANTED TO DO WAS BE BY HIS SIDE! BY THE POWER OF SHIN-SI I PROCLAIM THIS LAND ON BEHALF OF LORD CHEJU! NOW... LET THE BLOOD SHED BEGIN!” her voice echoed through the land. The energy from nature and her body energized the jewel and she was prepared to fire.
“BLADES OF BLOOD!” the red sickles broke her concentration. “Who the hell are you?” “What should it matter who I am, all I know is that you're trying to kill my villagers.” Cheju smiled, “Ah much obliged emperor.” Cheju bowed respectfully. “I don't recognize your scent, or your look who are you?” “ I am Cheju, I am from the great land of Shin-Si and I admire your land so much so that I intend to take it over and make it my own.” “Hmph, how are you going to do that?”
Cheju smiled and pointed, “You see that little lady right there she has to power to kill you of in a matter of seconds if I let her.” Inuyasha called his bluff, “So, let her. My guards will kill her in seconds.” “I doubt they would, if you look at her carefully I'm sure you wouldn't want them to do that.” He looked but did not notice, “So what is she to me?” Sango rolled her eyes and shouted to her friend, “Inuyasha! That's Kagome!” he turned ever so slightly, “What?” “Look at her hard Inuyasha, it's her, Koga, Rin and Sesshomaru were telling you the truth it's Kagome.” Ming shouted, “I am not Kagome!” She fired an arrow at Sango purposefully missing her, and it was then Inuyasha knew that is was his long departed love. “K-k-k, Kagome...wha...” his eyes began to tear. “I have no idea who you are talking about! But I do have some questions for you.” They all stared intently at the two as Ming tried to find the correct words. “What is your name?” Inuyasha swallowed the huge lump in his throat, “My name is Inuyasha...and may I ask...” she cut him off, “No! You may not ask anything of me until I am finished!” Inuyasha nodded his head. “Why is it that everyone calls me this Kagome woman, who is she to everyone?” Inuyasha sighed heavily, “She is a very important person to almost everyone here because she has been the only person who has understood and been through every high and low for all of us in the past 5 years. Kagome is a best friend, disciplinarian, mother and wife to some of us here. To me personally she is my wife...and I miss her dearly.” Ming had another flashback and once again she allowed it to play in her mind instead of pushing it into the foreground, it was of the woman and the very man that stood in front of her, smiling and laughing with the very people that she threatened to kill. It brought tears to her eyes.
“Why...why does everyone think I am her? It can't be based on just looks alone.” “No you're right it can't just be based on looks but it's just...too uncanny that you have too many of her qualities that it's just too hard to ignore.” “Like?” “Your eyes...it's as if you're looking right through my soul without trying. You're archery...heh, its funny in the beginning you, I mean, Kagome was such a klutz in the beginning it took her damn near five years to get so good she won a competition! But since you're not her I'm sure you are excellent. She had such a passion for everything she did it was as if you could look to her for everything...even if she didn't have the answer.” She stood silent for a moment and Inuyasha spoke up. “May I ask my questions now?” “Yes.” “What's your name?” “My name is Ming.” “Where are you from?” “Korea.” “What do you remember about Korea?” “I don't remember anything about home, when we arrived here we had a boat crash and I lost some of my memory.” “Did anything seem familiar while traveling here?” “Yes quite a few things really, the thing that felt the most familiar was being with those people, and seeing an old woman.” “Ok one more question...is there anything on your body that resembles puncture holes?” Ming gasped, How could he have possibly known that! He may be a demon but my clothing is covering it how could he have possibly have known, without seeing it? “What if I did?” “You look nervous? Could it be because I'm right?” Cheju finally spoke up, “She's nervous because you're interrogating her! So what if she does have one! I put it there!” “Cheju you didn't...” Inuyasha's face held a smirk, “I know he didn't because I'm the one who put it there...go ahead touch it and think of something, I guarantee you I'll know exactly what you're thinking.” She did what if he's right. “What if he's right?” sheer shock spread across Ming's face and Cheju moved lighting fast at Inuyasha which started the battle. “Cheju no!”
 
Ming was completely ignored as the two men battled it out, one for absolute power and one to get back the love that was once thought lost. As she looked on Amaterasu saw her opening and tried to attack Ming from behind. “Argh! I told you to leave him alone!” “I have no idea why you're attacking me. Please stop it!” at that moment Ming was no longer in control of herself, she now returned fired at Amaterasu and attacked her relentlessly. Amaterasu was not a lax fighter by far; she challenged Ming with much vigor. She used a lightweight shuriken with the tips dipped in fast acting poison. The poison acted immediately and Ming collapsed and the men fighting for her took notice immediately. “What did you do Amaterasu!?” Inuyasha ran to her side and Cheju was coming to block him when Sesshomaru stabbed him in the back with tokijin. “You have plagued our family enough, now die. Dokkaso!” The poison whip hit the wound Sesshomaru created, Cheju yelled in pain. “Kagome...please, please answer me!” Amaterasu stood there in disbelief that her emperor and lover turned against her. “My lord why, why do you run to her? She has lied to you! She left you to be with some man, I was with you consoling you, while she betrayed you! She deserves to die.” Inuyasha wanted to rip her throat out but just wanted to take care of Kagome and deal with her later. “Amaterasu leave my sight!” Inuyasha bit into the flesh wound and sucked out the poison, he placed his ear to her chest to hear her heartbeat, it sounded normal to him but her body was cold. He took of his robe and placed it atop her to keep her warm. He now went back to battling Cheju. “Sesshomaru, step aside he's mine.” Sesshomaru looked at Inuyasha like he was insane. “Are you ordering me?” “Sesshomaru, this guy will pay for corrupting Kagome's mind. And I will get him back for you...” “No. I will not step aside. If we do this together we will defeat him.” Inuyasha nodded and drew tetsuaiga.
In Ming/ Kagome's mind
Kagome. Ming. Kagome. Ming. Kagome. Ming. Ming, Ming, Ming. Kagome, Kagome, Kagome. Who? Who am I! What am I? Priestess, teacher. Priestess. Teacher. Shin-Si. Tokyo. Edo. Mama. Souta. Grandpa. Cheju. Ansong. Miroku. Sango. Shippo. Koga. Sesshomaru. Rin. Kikyo. Inu...Inuyasha. Who? Who are all these people? Who...*crying* who am I? Please someone tell ME!!
 
The fight between the two brothers and the invader from the continent waged on as Cheju knocked the wind from them both and ran to Ming snatched the jewel and began to make his wish. I will not let these mongrels defeat me! I guess it's time to make my wish come true. “I want to become the ruler of Japan!” the evil aura of the jewel made it even more beautiful as Cheju's wish was about to come to fruition. Inuyasha looked in horror as the jewel became energized and power consumed Cheju's body. “No! You have no idea what you've just done!” “Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! This power...it's, it's absolutely incredible! It's INCREDIBLE!” Miroku and Sango looked on in horror. They knew if they'd step into that kind of a battle they'd only get in the way, and being humans their limits were already far below their friends abilities now that Cheju possessed the power of the Shikon no tama. “Sesshomaru, you gotta leave here! You have a family to protect; I'll take care of this guy!” “What about your woman, Inuyasha? Will you leave her?” “Of course not! I have to find a way to beat him, but with you here it makes it a bit difficult. So go! Tell my niece I'll see her soon!” Sesshomaru smiled, “Yeah, that's right you have yet to meet her, well you better live! You have to catch up to me soon.” “Yeah whatever.” “Hey, brother?” Inuyasha turned to him slightly, “Hmm?” “Don't lose her, and don't lose to him.” Inuyasha smirked and turned back to Cheju. “What can you do little puppy! Now that you're reinforcements have fled what can you do? I suggest you leave Ming to me and leave this Kingdom to its new and rightful ruler!”
“Wind Scar!” Cheju easily dodged the attack. “Do you really think that's going to defeat me? You'll have to try harder little man. Shin no kesso!” “Heh, that's exactly what I've been waiting for...Backlash Wave!” Once again Inuyasha's attack was easily avoided. “Damn! That jewel increased his speed drastically, the only way I know how to get him if I used the last attack I have...but I'm not sure if it'll connect. I guess the only way I'll know is to try. "Adamant Barrage!” Cheju did dodge but got struck by the last waves of adamant shot his way, which sent shock waves of pain through his body. “Got you! I'm gonna kill you for what you've done to Kagome.” “Go ahead and try. I promise you'll lose.” Inuyasha ran at Cheju at full speed, swinging tetsuaiga. Cheju grabbed the sword with his bare hand and snapped it like a twig. “Miroku, did you see that?” “Yes I did, but I really can't believe it...do you think Inuyasha is going to go berserk?” “Isn't the tetsuaiga meant to prevent that?” Miroku nodded. “The only person who can aide that from happening is out cold right now.” As the couple watched on Inuyasha's blood began to turn. Oh no, my sword! I don't think this I'll hold out in this form... ugh! My arm, my arm! It's...it's on fire! Please don't do this I can't lose control now, Kagome needs me! No, no, nooooooo!
 
Inuyasha now knows that Kagome is alive! Will he be able to control the demon blood within him or will he go on a murderous rampage? Read the next Chapter to find out! Thanks for reading; review please!