InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Yeah, He is ❯ Living For The Weekend ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inu Yasha.

Chapter 3: Living For The Weekend

&nbspKagome and Inu Yasha emerged from the well house just as Grandpa and Sota topped the shrine steps.

"And what have you two been up to?" Grandpa gave the two of them a wary eye. Kagome blushed.

"Nothing Grandpa, we were just playing a game of tag before I started on my homework." Inu Yasha put up his hands innocently as if to agree with Kagome. Grandpa just nodded his head in a half believing manner, then held up two videos.

"I rented these on the way home. Would you like to join me while Kagome does her work?" Though Grandpa was still offset by the fact that Inu Yasha had demon blood in him, it wasn't too often he found someone with similar interests and beliefs. Besides, he figured he might be able to use him to either boost the shrine's popularity, if not it's appearance.

"Thank you, but I have something to do already." Everyone gave him a shocked expression. "What?" He lifted his eyebrows. "I do things." Sota coughed and he followed Grandpa inside. Kagome just shook her head. "Well I do." Inu Yasha seemed hurt.

"Whatever." Kagome said, then headed back into the house herself. Inu Yasha just stood outside for a minute, then walked straight up to his room without saying a word to anybody, and locked the door.

"Wonder what he has to do that he needs to lock the door." Sota said with a smirk. Kagome smacked him in the back of his head as she headed up into her own room.

"Honestly, I think I won't be taking you back in time for a while. Too much of Miroku is starting to rub off on you." Sota crossed his arms as she too shut her door.

"If there's any rubbing off going on, I'm sure most of it is coming from Inu Yasha." Sota yelled at the closed door. Sota fumed a bit.

"If you don't have any homework, would you like to watch these movies with me?" Sota shook his head, and grabbed the phone.

"Nah, I'm just going to talk to Hikari for awhile." Grandpa seemed let down that he couldn't find anyone to watch the movies with him, but sat down to do so anyway.

&nbspUp in his room, Inu Yasha pulled out the box containing the reading material. Mrs. Higurashi had been wrong. There was also a version for reading in Japanese. He smiled to himself. Maybe once he learned to at least read, he might be able to understand the stuff that was in some of Kagome's books.

&nbspWith the exception of Grandpa's movies, the house was silent until Mrs. Higurashi's arrival. She had gone shopping after her lunch date, and soon the house was filled with the smell of ramen. Inu Yasha had nearly completed the program's regimen when his stomach told him that it was time for dinner. He carefully placed everything back under the bed, and stepped out of the room. Kagome stepped from her's at the same time.

"So," she said, "what exactly were you doing in there?" He just smiled, happy she wasn't upset with him.

"It's a surprise." He stepped up and took her hand. "By the way, your mom said I could start sleeping in your room. Once it's okay again." He sniffed the air. "Which if I'm not mistaken, should be tomorrow." Kagome looked at him.

"Really?" He nodded at her, then she began to drag him down the stairs. "Let's go eat dinner." She didn't have to tell him twice, soon they were both seated at the table.

"Sorry it's such a quick fix tonight." Mrs. Higurashi explained. "It's just that Rudy and I took a walk in the park after lunch, and then I had to go shopping." She seated herself. "By the way, he really is interested in meeting all of you. He says he's tired of just hearing about my love struck daughter and her fiancee. As well as my reclusive father and hyperactive teenage son. He wants faces to go along with the names and descriptions." She passed the steaming bowl of noodles around. "Though I haven't told him much about you Inu Yasha. I thought it might be great practice on you introducing yourself." Inu Yasha was the last to get the bowl, and simply dug into what was left in the main dish. Kagome rolled her eyes.

"But you told him we were engaged." She pointed out.

"True," Mrs. Higurashi stated, "but that's all he knows. As far as a name and description, do you think I want to scare him off right away?"

"Did you want to wait, and scare him on Saturday?" Grandpa said after swallowing one mouthful. "And, by the way, I'm not reclusive." The table seemed to ignore his statements.

"I'll take that as you're coming." Mrs. Higurashi said flatly.

"Hey Mom," Sota piped in, "could I invite Hikari?" Mrs. Higurashi smiled at her son.

"Of course." She ate some of her own food. "You two have become quite the couple lately." Sota just blushed and dropped his head. Kagome sent a loving smile over to Inu Yasha, but he didn't see or return it since he was busy draining the bowl of it's remaining liquid. "And I think Inu Yasha and I are going to have a few lessons on manners starting tomorrow." He dropped the bowl to the table, and gave Kagome's mom a questioning look. "I know you heard me. So, if you're done, would you mind helping Kagome clear off the table?" He shrugged and started to gather empty bowls while Kagome picked up silverware. Then, they took it all into the kitchen.

&nbspOnce the dishes were taken care of, Inu Yasha headed back up to the room he was currently using. Kagome stopped him at the door.

"Don't you want to sit down and watch a movie with everyone?" Her eyes were questioning.

"Are you going to be down there?" He asked back.

"No, actually, I still have some homework to take care of." She smiled kind of sheepishly.

"Then no." He said, and kissed her on the cheek. "Good night." Then, he stepped into the room and closed the door.

"I'm taking this as your promise not to sleep in the tree tonight." A soft 'feh' was heard from behind the door. She shrugged, and closed herself into her own room.

&nbspLater that night, Kagome woke up to get a drink of water. When she returned, she noticed that the light in Inu Yasha's room was still on. She tapped slightly on the door, she heard some rustling before Inu Yasha squeaked a surprised 'come in.' When she opened the door, there sat Inu Yasha in nothing but his boxers sitting on his hands.

"I saw your light on, and wondered if anything was wrong." He just shook his head.

"Nope, nothing's wrong. Go back to bed, you have a full day of school tomorrow."

"Okay." She drew out. She couldn't help but feel that he was hiding something. Kagome shut the door and stood in the hallway. 'Maybe Sota was right.' She thought. 'If so, what was the rustling noise?' She marched a little further down the hallway and through Sota's open door. She tapped her sleeping sibling on the shoulder. He turned over and grunted. "Sota." She whispered. He made a noise in response. "Have you been giving Inu Yasha your magazines?"

"Why the hell would I do something like that?" He grumbled and covered his head with his pillow. "Now go back to bed." She stared at him for a moment, then left to go to her own room.

&nbspMeanwhile, Inu Yasha finished the last of the books in the program.

"Two weeks my ass." He stated. "Once Kagome is at school, I can get started on those language things that her mother gave me." He placed the books back under his bed and leaned back onto it without disturbing the sheets. He flipped around for a while, but couldn't sleep. He was just too excited about learning this new skill. It was a feeling that he gat anytime he learned something new. The urge to practice it. "I have a few hours until Kagome wakes up, maybe I could just go downstairs, and find something to read." Silently, he shut off his light, and slipped downstairs. He made his way into the den, where he found a plethora of books to read.

&nbspKagome was having trouble sleeping the rest of the night. She could have sworn she was hearing noises downstairs, but at the same time, she knew if there were any danger, Inu Yasha would have taken care of it.

&nbspAround five in the morning, Kagome finally gave up on trying to sleep, and decided she would surprise everyone by making a big breakfast. She still had two hours before she even needed to start getting ready for school. As she rounded the corner she found Inu Yasha, still clad only in his boxers, sitting on the counter staring at a box.

"Good morning, what are you up to." Inu Yasha sat up bolt stiff.

"Um, I was trying to find something to eat?" It came out like a question, since in a way, he was questioning himself. Kagome grabbed the box from his hand. On the front was a picture of some pancakes with butter and syrup.

"This is baking mix," she pointed out, "you use it to make these, they don't just come out of the box."

'I know that.' His mind screamed.

"Is this what you want for breakfast?" She asked him.

"Yes." He simply stated. He kept reminding himself that she just didn't know that he knew how to read.

"Do you want bacon or sausage to go with it?" She asked as she began gathering ingredients.

"It's all fried pig to me." Said Inu Yasha bluntly. He was leaning against the doorframe watching her scramble here and there.

"Cold you give me a hand by starting the coffee, then going upstairs and at least putting on a shirt before the rest of the family wakes up?" He shrugged and walked over to the opposite end of the kitchen, which housed the coffeemaker.

&nbspKagome stopped a moment when she realized what she had just asked Inu Yasha to do. She turned to see him filling up the pot with water, and then pour it into the maker.

'That's queer.' She thought as she went back to her own task. 'I don't remember telling, or showing him how to do that.' She shrugged away the thought. 'Maybe Mom or Grandpa showed him.' Once the pot started gurgling, Inu Yasha headed up the stairs. By the time he came back down, wearing a white undershirt, the rest of the family, with the exception of Sota was sitting at the table.

"Good morning." Chimed Mrs. Higurashi. "Did you sleep okay last night?"

"Um, yeah." He lied.

"Good!" Said Grandpa. "Then you can help me around the shrine today." Inu Yasha shrugged.

"Okay." He said. Mrs. Higurashi glared at her father.

"You can have him after lunch. He has some lessons on table manners once he gets back from dropping off Kagome." Grandpa sighed.

"Deal." Inu Yasha looked confused, and Kagome looked upset.

"Are you two bargaining over him like he's some object?" The two adults nodded their heads in unison. "Argh!" She threw her hands into the air. "You two are impossible!"

"Kagome, just calm down. I think some of that breakfast you're making is starting to burn." Mrs. Higurashi pointed out.

"Oh my God!" Kagome yelped and ran into the kitchen.

"Is it just me, or is this coffee exceptional this morning?" Grandpa asked.

"I know." Said Mrs. Higurashi. "I wonder what Kagome did to make it taste so good."

"It's cinnamon." Inu Yasha said as he sat down.

"Well, your nose would be able to tell you." Mrs. Higurashi said.

"No," Inu Yasha shook his head, "I didn't smell it. I made it."

"How?" Both humans asked in unison.

"Well, I sprinkled a little bit over the grounds before starting the pot." He responded.

"No," Grandpa shook his hand in the air, "how did you know how to use the coffee maker?" Inu Yasha turned his ears towards the kitchen.

"I'll tell you later." He whispered. At that moment, Kagome walked in carrying a big tray. Sota also walked in, nice and showered. "Since when do you shower in the morning?" Inu Yasha asked Sota.

"Since he's going to ask Hikari to the festival." She stopped for a moment to set down the tray. "This will be like a first date for two. Won't it?" Sota just blushed, and sat down at the table. Kagome took a spot next to Inu Yasha, and they all ate.

&nbspOnce Inu Yasha had returned from dropping off Kagome, he removed his hat and sunglasses.

"Good, now that your back, would you mind explaining to me how you suddenly learned to use the coffee maker?" Kagome's mom wasn't mad, just curious.

"I read the instructions." He shrugged at her.

"And where did you learn about the cinnamon? Wait, did you just say you 'read the instructions?" Her eyes were a bit wide.

"A cookbook, and yes. The reading program you bought wasn't in English after all." He was cool with his tone.

"But it said that it could take several weeks to finish the program. How far along are you?" She asked.

"Finished it last night." Mrs. H brought her hand to her mouth.

"That is extremely fast!" Inu Yasha grinned.

"And, I've read every book, magazine, and package available downstairs." He made a robot move with his arms. "You can call me Johnny5!" Mrs. Higurashi slapped herself in the forehead. Inu Yasha had a definite liking for eighties movies, and often took things a little too far when referring to them.

"Well, then," she regained some of her composure, "since there won't be a reading lesson, we can jump right into manners. Kagome does know that you won't be able to pick her up after school, right?"

"Yeah, she knows." He nodded. "Let's get this over with so I can do some of that work the old man needed."

"The only reason I let you get away with that 'old man' stuff is because it's what he told you to call him. Though it is beyond me why." She pointed into the dinning room. "Sit." She said, holding out the chair. He twinged a little.

'Duh! Wrong person, wrong way.' Inu Yasha mentally slapped himself, and did as she instructed.

"Now I don't plan on having you learn place settings and proper etiquette, but I don't think it's completely nessecary for you to know that the spoon is always placed by the knife, with it's blade facing towards the plate. Though I could, but what you need to know is that when ever we eat in this house we put food onto a separate dish, and use silverware when eating it. Even though you do eat last, that does not mean you can take all of the food that is left. Sometimes, people like second helpings." He nodded at her and waited for her to finish.

"I hate to interrupt you, but if you noticed, I did all of that this morning." Mrs. Higurashi blinked, and took a moment to think.

"Now that I think about it, you're right. What happened?" He smiled at her.

"I started reading a book on manners. Though I stopped after the part on dinner. It was kinda boring. So, can I leave now?" Mrs. Higurashi rolled her eyes.

"Figures." She sighed. "Go get changed and meet Grandpa in the main yard." Inu Yasha nodded, and headed up the stairs.

"Oh,"he shouted down from the stairs, "can I make dinner tonight? I saw a recipe I wanted to try out."

"I don't see why not." She smiled up at him, and he ran to put on some work clothes.