InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Yeah, He is ❯ Surprising Developments ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inu Yasha

Chapter 4 : Surprising Developments

&nbspKagome just sat there rubbing her eyes.

"I must be dreaming." There, in front of the stove, stood Inu Yasha wearing oven mitts and an apron over a white t-shirt, and tight blue jeans. He just smiled at her.

"Nope, it's real." Sota came up from behind her. "Mom said that he asked to make dinner tonight." He shrugged his shoulders and headed to his room.

"If you're finished staring, would you mind handing me the basil?" Inu Yasha turned back to a pot on the range top. Kagome just stared, and did as she asked. He took it from her hand. "Thank you. Why don't you go upstairs and change out of your uniform? Dinner will be ready soon." He kissed her on the cheek as she turned to walk out. She stopped at the bottom of the stairs.

'Wait a minute! Did he just thank me? For such a small task?' She grabbed her mother's shoulders as she walked past. "What did you do to him?" Kagome asked. Her mother smiled.

"I didn't do anything." She inhaled deeply. "Right now, I'm smelling rosemary chicken, and it's making me hungry. So hurry up, I'm sure he won't let us eat without you." She left the bewildered Kagome and headed into the dinning room.

&nbspOnce everyone was seated, and the food set on the table. Inu Yasha sat down next to Kagome with a huge smile on his face. She only cocked her eyebrow at him.

"What?" He asked defensively.

"Would you mind explaining all of this?" She gestured to the food.

"You didn't think I could cook?" He gave her a hurt expression. "I did live on my own for quite awhile."

"Yeah, but rosemary chicken, garlic roasted potatoes, whatever that green stuff is, and God knows what for desert!" A tinge of frustration grew in her tone.

"Surprise!" He beamed at her. "I learned how to read! I saw all of this in the cookbook last night, and wanted to surprise you!" Kagome's mouth dropped.

"Is that what you were doing in your room last night?" He nodded, then became confused by her relieved expression.

"I was going to make you breakfast this morning, but you came in while I was reading the directions, so I asked if I could make dinner." Her expression was that of disbelief. "What, you didn't think learning to read could help me do other things?"

"No." She said solemnly. "I'm just shocked you didn't use this new skill to make ramen." She smiled playfully at him.

"If you two are done talking, I want to eat before this gets cold." Sota's comment caused them to snap out of their little play argument. The food was passed around and Kagome was surprised further when Inu Yasha actually took a portion of the food instead of just taking what was left.

"Since we're on the subject of surprises, due to the festival, the school is letting us have a long weekend! So, there's no school tomorrow or Saturday." She took a bite of her chicken, and almost melted in her seat. "This is soooooo good!"

"I would have to agree on that one." Grandpa added.

"Maybe I'll have you cook dinner more often." Stated Mrs. Higurashi. "You're almost as good at cooking as Rudy is." Inu Yasha growled, he hated being compared with anyone.

"Well, it's definitely the best I've ever had!" Kagome smiled, and kissed him on the cheek, causing his growl to cease.

&nbspThe rest of dinner was practically silent, except for the sounds of eating. Everyone was so full that they decided desert could wait for another time.

"Since Inu Yasha did such a great job on dinner, you two can clean the kitchen." Mrs. Higurashi told her two children. Both of them groaned, but complied. Inu Yasha yawned largely. The first time he had done that in front of her, Mrs. Higurashi was slightly surprised by the size of his fangs, now she saw an almost cute quality in it. "You seem a bit tired." She observed.

"To tell you the truth, I haven't slept since yesterday morning. Is it okay if I go to bed?" She nodded to him and he left the dinning room. He was about to turn to his room, but remember what day it was. He went to his room and changed into his night attire. He then walked back to Kagome's room and curled up on her bed.

&nbspWhen Kagome finished in the kitchen, she headed up to her room. There on the bed, was Inu Yasha, he was curled in a fetal position, whining slightly. She almost felt bad. He was having another one of his nightmares. Though he never told her what happened in them, she knew that they he had been having them since the ritual that ended their shard quest. The only time he would sleep peacefully would be in the feudal era when he slept next to her. She stepped up and pulled a blanket over him. Suddenly, the arm closest to her began to wave erratically. She was about to jump away, but he grabbed her and pulled her up to her chest. Once he held her close, his whimpering ceased. She would have preferred to be in her night clothes, but being wrapped in his warmth, she quickly fell asleep.

&nbspLater that night, Kagome's mother headed to her room for the night. She passed her daughter's open door to see them sleeping in the same bed. She was about to wake them up and make Inu Yasha use the spare futon, but she saw the content on both of their faces, and it didn't hurt that only one of them was under the blanket. However, she would change that in the morning.

&nbspInu Yasha awoke the next morning to a pounding sound. He sat up, feeling a little fuzzy at first, but soon realized that he was in Kagome's room but she wasn't. He looked at the clock. It was almost noon. He had never slept that long, and it kind of bothered him. The pounding stopped and Kagome's voice drifted into his ears.

"Oh," Kagome said surprised, "Hojo, this is certainly unexpected." The young man shifted where he was standing and gave a half-lopped smile.

"Higurashi, the main part of the festival is going on tomorrow evening, and I was wondering..." He was cut off by a low growling. Inu Yasha now stood there holding Kagome close. Hojo's eyes narrowed. "You." Inu Yasha's voice came out raspy and threatening.

"Kagome, this boy carries part of Naraku's scent." His growling intensified and he pulled her even closer.

"Close half-breed," Hojo's eyes slitted. "Try Onigumo, and looks like I failed." Kagome's eye's grew wide.

"What are you talking about?" Both she and Inu Yasha spat out. Hojo smirked.

"This boy," he motioned up and down his body, "is my reincarnation. He had a severe head injury about five years ago, and I emerged. Still having the memories from the past. In having those memories, I knew that this girl was Kikyo reincarnated. I figured that if I could not get to her in that life, I may be able to get to her in this one." Inu Yasha had him by the throat.

"Get to the point before I rip out your throat." His patience was worn beyond thin.

"Long story short, I tried to prevent the two of you ever growing close, but as I now see, I failed." Inu Yasha threw him to the ground.

"Get out of here before I kill you." Hojo scrambled away from the door and ran down the street.

"This isn't over!" He screamed.

"You better hope it is!" Inu Yasha snapped back. Kagome stepped out, and dragged Inu Yasha back into the house.

"Come on, we can get something to eat, and talk this out." Kagome looked at him, and noticed red beginning to tinge his eyes. "Sota!" She screamed. "Go get the sword off of Inu Yasha's wall!" He didn't need to be told twice.

"Kagome, honey, what's the matter? Who was that at the door?" Mrs. Higurashi came in from the dinning room. Inu Yasha's head snapped in her direction, and a feral growl began to form in his chest. Kagome threw out a hand in warning. "Stay back!" Sota came back down the stairs, with the sword in hand, and he tripped on the last step. He quickly recovered, and gave the sword to Kagome. She thrust it into Inu Yasha's, hands, and when he didn't respond right away, she did the only thing she could think of. "Forgive me," she whispered, then louder, "SIT BOY!" He slammed face first into the ground. The rest of the family looked shocked. She was going to have a lot of explaining to do.

&nbspAfter a long explanation over lunch, Kagome and Inu Yasha were now sitting alone in her room.

"It all makes sense now." She was at her desk, and he was propped up against a wall. "Every time he asked me out. Coincided with a time when I would feel closer to you. To think, if I would have actually shown up for those, or even stayed the whole time on the ones I did show up for, then we might not have ended up like this." She swept her arm around the room to show how far they had really come. Inu Yasha was still mad at himself for not keeping the sword closer. Being in this time had made him lax on usual practices, he didn't think anything in this time could ever make him mad enough to cause him to do that, and in front of Kagome's family.

"I'd rather not talk about it now." He searched his mind for something better to talk about. "What's going on with festival, or fair, whatever that thing is that you and your mom have been talking about?" Kagome seemed to perk up with this subject.

"That's right!" She smiled largely. "Well, for the part we're going to, everyone is going to be dressing in their kimonos, which means you can wear your fire rat clothes. There is going to be games, prizes, and best of all the food." She licked her lips dreamily. "As for the reason we're going, you heard Mom, Rudy invited us, so we could meet him, and vice versa. My mom has been so happy since she met him, but we still don't know how he's going to react to you." Inu Yasha rolled his eyes at this statement.

"Did you happen to forget what tomorrow night is?" Kagome looked at her calender, counted a few days on her calender.

"Oh," her face scrunched up, "glad my kimono's not white." Inu Yasha walked over and pointed to another spot on the same square.

"Not that, this." She looked at the small print in the top of the box.

"Oh, the new moon!" She looked at it again. "This may cause some explaining later on, but we won't have to worry about it for at least one night!"

"Don't be so upset." He responded mockingly.

"Awe, poor baby." She cooed, and gave him a big hug. He took this chance to give her a passionate lip to lip kiss.

&nbspThe rest of the day, and part of the next was spent convincing Grandpa to go. Eventually, the family won out, and they all prepared to leave. It didn't take Inu Yasha very long, so he sat in the living room waiting for everyone else. Sota had already left with Hikari's family, and he and Hikari would meet up with the rest of them there. Grandpa was the next to be ready, he wore plain blue and joined Inu Yasha on the couch.

"I hate going to these things." He grumbled, and saw the look on Inu Yasha's face, and turned his own head away. "Then again, it's probably because I don't have anyone to go with." When he looked back at Inu Yasha, he had to do a double take. "Is it a new moon already?" Inu Yasha cocked an eyebrow at the older man in answer.

"We're ready!" Kagome announced. Her mother wore a simple gold kimono and a black obi. A gift from Rudy. Inu Yasha's mouth fell open when he saw Kagome. She wore a dark navy kimono with silver trim and an a matching silver obi. Her hair was done up in a simple bun that matched her mother's.

"Stop, drooling." Grandpa said. "It's not very becoming." This snapped Inu Yasha out of his daze, and he took Kagome by the elbow.

"Oh, my." Kagome's mother took in Inu Yasha's appearance. "The new moon already? That's a little convenient. I guess that's one less thing to explain tonight."

&nbspOnce they reached the festival, Mrs. Higurashi told Inu Yasha and Kagome to go enjoy themselves for a little while, and that everyone would meet by the goldfish booth in half an hour. The couple didn't stick around to argue. The first place Kagome took Inu Yasha happened to be the food booths. They sampled each of the culinary wares available. Inu Yasha was surprised to see that foods once seen as delicacies meant only for the ruling lords were now widely available. Though he still argued that nothing could beat ramen. They were content enjoying each other's company when they happened upon some of Kagome's friends. They wondered where her white-haired wonder had gone, and began asking a lot of questions. Not wanting to answer them, Kagome excused herself saying that they had to meet with her mother, which was true.

&nbspThe two made their way through the crowd. Kagome noticed Sota and Hikari slightly ahead of them. Kagome then heard her mother call her name. She and Inu Yasha looked in the direction she called from. Both of their jaws dropped to their feet as they saw Mrs. Higurashi on Kouga's arm.