InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Yeah, He is ❯ Alls Fair ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inu Yasha

Chapter 5 : All's Fair

&nbspBoth Kagome and Inu Yasha did a double take. He definitely looked older, closer to Kagome's mother's age than her own, though He was much older than that. Still, it was Kouga Standing there all in black, trimmed in gold. Mrs. Higurashi took their blank stares as them being unable to see them in the crowd, and began walking toward them. Without paying much attention to what he was doing, Kouga bowed and made his greeting.

"Finally, It's so great to meet the two of......" He was cut-off by two voices. One surprised, and the other angry.

"Kouga!" The wolf demon snapped up to look at whom he was greeting. His eyes grew wide.

"That's his last name," Mrs. Higurashi cut in, "but how did you know that?" Kouga could do nothing but stutter.

"K...ka...ka....Kagome? It can't be!" Kouga couldn't seem to comprehend what was going on.

"Well it is." Inu Yasha spat.

"And who might you be?" Kouga's brows narrowed.

"I guess there's just too many people here for you to sniff the air and find out." Inu Yasha smirked.

"No," a new voice cut in, "it's that damn cologne he insists on wearing." Standing behind Kouga was a young girl that looked to be around Kagome's age. She was a little taller than Kagome, with dark red hair, and blue-green eyes. She wore a purple kimono and a yellow obi. Her obviously wild hair was under the restraint of a loose bun. "I told you before, this family reeks of dog demon, but would you listen?" Kouga turned around and glared at the girl. Grandpa motioned to Sota and Hikari that it might be a good time to leave the area. Mrs. Higurashi nodded them off, signaling that they would all meet at the car.

"Trin! What have I told you about the way you should act around other people?" Trin crossed her arms and glared at him.

"Well, maybe if we were people, I would act that way!" She threw her nose up into the air.

"Excuse me, but did I miss something here?" Mrs. Higurashi commented.

"He's a wolf demon." Inu Yasha stated. "One that's been after Kagome for years."

"Is this true?" Mrs. H's question caused the staring contest between Trin and Kouga to cease.

"Yes, and no." Stated Kouga. "But it will take some explaining to understand. Though, there are parts that, I myself do not comprehend." He looked at Kagome.

"Dad, just cut the theatrics, and let's get back to the limo." Trina interjected. "That way I can get out of this get up and we can," she put up quotations with her fingers, "talk." Kagome and Inu Yasha's mouths both dropped at the word 'dad.'

"She's your daughter?" Kagome voiced the question.

"Well, duh!" Trin spat. Kouga ignored her rude comment.

"Like I said, we should all just sit down and talk." He stated.

"How about, tomorrow? At the shrine?" Mrs.Higurashi suggested.

"Okay, tomorrow then." Kouga turned and grabbed Trin's hand. "Because you and I have a lot to discuss tonight, young lady!" He then dragged his daughter off into the crowd.

&nbspKagome turned to her mother. With a thousand questions in her eyes.

"Why are you being so calm about all of this?" Mrs. Higurashi just shrugged.

"I've never objected to the fact that Inu Yasha is part demon. Why should I completely turn a guy down when he turns out to have that same trait? He's been a perfect gentleman so far." After that, everyone was silent as they headed back to the car. Sota decided to stay a little longer with Hikari and her family, while everyone else went home. Inu Yasha held Kagome close to him in the back seat. Out of nowhere, a thought entered his mind.

"Kagome." He whispered.

"Hmm?" She responded.

"Do you remember how you were teasing Sota about this being his first date with Hikari?" She nodded into him. "Well, now that I think about it, this is kinda like our first date too." This caught her completely by surprise. She sat up and began counting on her fingers as if she were running information through her head.

"You know, you're right." She surprised herself with the statement. "Unless you count shard hunting."

"I'd rather not." Said Inu Yasha as he reached out, and pulled her close once again.

***

"What is it with you women and demon's?" Grandpa was pacing the floor. Jabbering about 'back in his day.' Mrs. Higurashi rolled her eyes.

"If you don't calm down, I'll be locking you in your room, just like Inu Yasha." Grandpa just got smug.

"I think I might just join the boy. At least he agrees with me on this particular situation."

"He never said that he agreed with you," Kagome joined the conversation, "just that he didn't know how he'd react around Kouga, and wanted to be involved as little as possible." She paused a moment. "In fact, he said he preferred me to do the same, so I'm pretty sure he'll be down her for most of it. You know, marking his territory." She put her fingers in quotations for the last part.

"When you say it like that, it makes me sound like some kind of animal!" Inu Yasha's shout could be heard from upstairs. Kagome just blew it off. The sound of a car pulling up was heard outside.

"Dad, I swear, if you pull any of your chanting or scrolls act, I will not hesitate to have you committed." Her words had a ring of seriousness.

"I think I'll join the boy." The old man scrambled up the stares, and a few shouts of protest were heard from Inu Yasha. Sota joined the rest of the family at the door.

"I don't care either way." He said calmly. "It's awesome that he's a demon, but noone can beat big bro!" Sota still hadn't grown out of the nickname he had for Inu Yasha. A slight knock was heard, and Mrs. Higurashi answered the door. Standing there with her head down and Kouga behind her, was Trin. She was wearing a pair of denim overalls and a white tee shirt, and her hair was now up in pigtails, making her look younger than she had last night. Kouga was wearing a navy polo and a pair of khakis. His hair in it's usual ponytail.

"Before we come in," Kouga began, "Trin has a little something to say." She growled a little and he flicked her ear.

"Fine." Then, she dropped her head even more. "I'm sorry that I said you reeked last night. You smell okay..." Then she added. "For people." Kouga gave her another flick on the ear. "Ow! What? I said it." He rolled his eyes at his daughter's rudeness.

"I apologize for her behavior." Kouga commented. "May we come in?"

"Of course!" Mrs. Higurashi stepped back to allow them in. Trin purposefully drug her feet and made a slow trek in letting her father pass. He wasn't going to have any of her games, and he simply lifted her under his arm and walked in the direction indicated as the dinning room. Once the willing, and one unwilling, bodies were seated, it was Kouga that began speaking.

"Okay, all I need to know is if you are the Kagome I knew five hundred years ago." His forwardness shocked her.

"Yes. I kinda have the ability to time travel." She fiddled around with her shard necklace as she spoke.

"As big of a surprise as this is, I feel like I've done something wrong. The last time I saw you, you weren't you, but I see now that you made it through. I had no clue about your time traveling abilities, though I should have realized it, looking back. Anyhow, you all might want to sit back because it would make more sense if I started my story from that point." Everyone just nodded, and Trin tried to sneak away. Kouga managed to snag her with one clawed finger by the shirt collar, and she fell back into her seat.

"Why do I have to hear this?" She whined.

"Because I said so." He answered back. "Now let me see, the last you knew of me was when Ayame drug me away. Not too long after that, she managed to get me where her clan was. Of course, we were joined, and my pack came to join hers. One thing she never mentioned to me was that her pack was nomadic, which in my opinion, caused part of their problems. A pack without territory has nowhere to call home. I told her we could stay in my lands, but her people were too used to their lifestyle. The sad part is that even though we were together, I didn't love her. At least not then. Anyway, slowly, the pack began to migrate. During the Meji Era, last names were introduced. I decided to make my first name my last. I picked Rudolph when I heard a traveler mention that it meant famous wolf. Around the fourteenth century, most of the members had split up, and married into human society. At the time, most of us were centralized in England. It turned out that those who were half wolf demon, carried the trait where they could communicate with wolves, but it was only on the times of the full moon that it was possible. This got the whole thing with werewolves started. People would see others go into the woods, but see the wolves come out, and only assumed that they had changed. It didn't help that this was a time where everyone was at each other's throats. So, in the end, that left Ayame, myself, and a few loyal pack members. We wandered most of Europe for a few hundred years before heading to America. There, we integrated ourselves with the Native people of the land. We watched them have their wars, and land disputes, but it too grew tiring, so I finally convinced Ayame to go back to my original lands. It was around this time I began falling in love with her. We were horrified to find on our return that my lands had been demolished for crops and homes. I found that one of my old comrades were living in the village and had actually taken care of the paperwork needed to say that the land belonged to my family. He was the one that had allowed the destruction, and I was upset. Then, he gave me all of the money he said he had saved for my return. I left him to tend to all the businesses, and we left once again for America, only this time it was the Pacific Coast, where the land was still wild. Even though it ended up getting developed, Ayame and I stayed. I became involved in the stock market, where I made, and still make all of my money. Ayame and I turned out to make the perfect flower children. We even helped found the EPA. We had some good times, but we were never happier than when our daughter Trin was born." He stopped and gave Trin a hug.

"Duh-add." She whined and he just smiled.

"About twelve years ago, we were on an assignment to deal with a few American farmers that had been poisoning wolves." His voice became low. "We were unaware of the quarantine enacted on the area. Ayame left Trin with me and said she was just going to check on one of the wolves she had been caring for. Hours passed, and she didn't come back." Trin put an arm on his shoulder.

"Can I please leave for this part? I've never liked it." He nodded her out, then continued with the story.

"Any how, I left Trin with a neighbor, an went looking for her. It turned out that the wolf she was caring for wasn't poisoned. It was rabid, and it had bitten her. Normally, demons can heal, but it's the very thing that protects us which makes rabies so dangerous. If caught within the first hour, it can usually be taken care of with the same shots that you humans use, but we didn't catch her in time. When I looked into her eyes, I knew she was no longer herself." He took in a deep breath. "I did what I had to do to keep Trin and everyone else safe." He looked around the table at all of their shocked expressions. Mrs. Higurashi leaned over, and gave him a comforting hug.

"I'm so sorry." Kagome gasped. It was hard for her to know that one of her friends had died so tragically.

"Well, after that, I took Trin and moved back here. Trin was two at the time. Now, I manage condos and other housing developments that are on my land, along with playing the stock market. I feel bad for Trin, only having me to raise her."

"Wait a minute," Sota said, "from what you're saying, Trin is close to my age?"

"She's fourteen. Trin get back in here." He called to his daughter. "I know she looks older, but in some ways it explains her behavior. She's never made any friends, or dated."

"It's because I'm not interested in human guys, and I don't see anything other than that around do you?" Inu Yasha chose this time to come down the steps. He wanted to see what was going on, but he was ready to say that the old man wanted a drink and was too scared to come down himself. He had on a white tank top and a pair of red shorts. He almost looked like a life guard. "On the other hand.."

"Don't even think about it!" Both Kagome and Kouga shouted at the same time.

"So that was you last night, huh?" Kouga now directed his attention to Inu Yasha.

"What? No comment on me being a dog-turd?" Inu Yasha was still wary of Kouga.

"Old habit, long dead, but we're getting off the subject. I was about to tell everyone why I was so surprised when you turned out to be who you are." This time Inu Yasha decided to take a seat. The one under Kagome. He held her close as Kouga finished his story. "Any how, I ran into Mysiu here at the supermarket one day, and I smelt a scent similar to Kagome's mixed faintly with dog demon. Considering it had been five hundred years, I thought the two of you had gotten together, and this was the resulting line. I shouldn't have assumed that Kagome was a family name." Trin seemed to be getting impatient with her father.

"Now that we have that matter out of the way, tell them why we're really here." Everyone looked at Trin. Kouga looked to Mysiu .

"Do you still want to?" She just nodded and decided to tell everyone.

"We're moving in together!" Even Grandpa could be heard shouting upstairs.