InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Yeah, He is ❯ Nightmare ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inu Yasha

Chapter 9 : Nightmares

"Dinner was....nice" Inu Yasha said, looking for the right word, then smiling at Kagome.

"Actually, it was." She placed the empty bowls on the tray and set her head in his lap. He stroked her hair gently with a clawed hand. "I just wonder how Shippou's doing." She yawned sleepily and snuggled deeper into his lap. He smiled at her as her breathing evened out. He let out a sigh that was quickly followed by his own yawn. They were both very tired. His nose was beginning to clear up and he took in as much of her scent as possible. He was about to drift off when the door creaked open, and Sota poked his head in. He fell on the floor laughing at the sight he saw. From the angle of the door to the bed He could see Inu Yasha in a seated position, leaning his back against the headboard. Though the bed stand was in the way, he could tell that Kagome was kneeling next to the bed with her head facing towards Inu Yasha's stomach while he kept one hand on the back of her head.

"That looks like it feels good." He giggled out. His laughter had done nothing to disturb Kagome, but that was a very different story when it came down to Inu Yasha. He turned and glared at the boy who immediately ran out. Mysiu came in and saw a quite similar scene, only without the leaning of head pinning scenario, so to her it looked almost sweet. She walked over to the bed, and was about to wake Kagome when a clawed hand covered her own. She looked at its owner. The look he was giving her was both pleading, and demanding. She only nodded, and took the tray and stepped out. Inu Yasha wished that he could somehow lock the door, but settled for lifting Kagome onto the bed so that she may be more comfortable.

As he picked her head up out of his lap, he heard her whine slightly, and give a visible shake, but she did not open her eyes. Her breathing started to become erratic and her heartbeat sped up. He repositioned her so that he could lie down and hold her to his chest. Once she was able to snuggle back into him she returned to normal.

"You're having a nightmare aren't you?" He whispered. She only responded by snuggling in closer to him. "I wonder if they're anything like mine." He took in her scent one more time and fell asleep next to her.

***

Kagome jolted awake. Only to find that she wasn't in her bed. Instead, she was enveloped in complete darkness. She was just floating there. No up, no down. Suddenly she heard a voice from behind.

"Help me!" It rasped out. When she turned around, there was Inu Yasha, but it looked as if he was on a black projection screen. He was on his side, blood covering his face and hands. He began coughing and more of the red liquid spilled from his lips. A gasp caught in Kagome's throat at the scene. Though if she could have said anything it would have been drowned out by the feral growl that seemed to come from nowhere, but everywhere at once. Out of the darkness from behind the injured hanyou came Inu Yasha. He was in his demon form. Kagome didn't have time to be surprised as she was horrified beyond all reason. The demon form bent over the other, and dove its hand into the other's stomach. The pain in the golden orbs of the other form filled with a fathomless pain, then faded into lifelessness as the demon form bent over and began to devour the flesh of the other.

Kagome was forced to watch this horror movie play out before her until the demon form stopped, sniffed at the air, then turned its blood drenched face towards her. She tried to move, but some unknown force held her tight. She began to struggle, and just before the demon form reached her, everything turned black again.

Kagome was too shocked to even comprehend what was going on around her. So, she passed out.

***

The rest of the night was spent in a dreamless sleep for both of them.

The next morning, Mysiu walked into the bedroom and began to lightly shake Kagome. Inu Yasha growled and pulled her slightly closer.

"Kagome, honey, I think I've been plenty tolerant as it is, but you need to get up and go to school." Kagome's eyes fluttered open.

"I can't leave Inu Yasha alone." She mumbled out.

"You know very well that he won't be alone. Even though, I have to take Grandpa to a doctor's appointment today, Shippou and Trin will still be here. You are not missing anymore school this close to graduation." Mysiu then shook Kagome again since she had drifted back to sleep. Suddenly, Inu Yasha let out a loud sneeze and sucked in air that revealed a stuffy nose. "I told Rudy to get rid of that!" She furrowed her brows a bit. "Kagome if you don't get up now, you won't have time for a shower." With that threat in the air, Kagome woke up fully, and roused Inu Yasha so that she could get out of the bed. She kissed him on the forehead and ran out to get ready. Mysiu turned to the dazed and slightly agitated Inu Yasha. "Is there anything you would prefer for breakfast." He just stared at her. "Bacon and eggs it is!" She left him rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

***

Miroku and Sango were awoken by the light of the rising sun streaming down into their faces. As the each opened their eyes, they noticed two dark figures in the doorway of the hut. One was taller than the other. They stepped into the line of sight, to reveal themselves. There stood Kagura with Kanna at her side. Kaede was the first to step up to the two.

"Kagura, what is the meaning of this?" The demoness turned to her mentor.

"The time is drawing near." She stated. "I must begin the gathering before the battle begins. Only then, will there be any hope for victory."

***

"You will never succeed."

"You could almost say that I have already won."

"Fool, all you have managed is to open the gate."

"Isn't that the most important part?"

"You did it too early soon! You did not even take the woman into account."

"So, she is no more than a mere mortal."

"If that is the truth, then how come we can tell her apart from any other human?"

"Only you can do that! I can't tell her from any other human."

"Then you are a bigger fool than I ever imagined."

"If I'm such a fool, then how come I was able to make the first move?"

"If you noticed, I made a move of my own."

"Only because that toad Naraku was too incompetent to finish his job."

"Hah! Like you ever thought he could succeed in the first place."

"No, but it kept me from having to do any of the work."

"You see where that left you."

"I know! I learned from the experience, and that is the trademark of a winning and brilliant mind."

"What? The ability to fail?"

"No, the ability to learn from one's mistakes, and to continue learning in life."

"Could have fooled me."

"You're just jealous."

"Of what? The extra storage space in your head?"

"Leave me alone."

"Now, even you know that is impossible."

"Not for long. Not for long."