InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Yeah, He is ❯ Time Passes and So Do We ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inu Yasha

Chapter 21: Time Passes and So Do We.

The next morning, after breakfast, Kagome waved goodbye, and set off for school.

"I would say that we should go as well, but we need Kagome to get back home." Miroku stated.

"No you don't." Inu Yasha held up the small fragment on a chain.

"But Inu Yasha, you can't go back." Sango protested.

"I'm not." He stated. "Last night, Kagome and I talked it out. I'm supposed to give this to you. If you can travel through the well with it, then you keep it. That way, you guys can still visit us, and I can't get into trouble going back." He laughed nervously. "Seems like time has chosen my place for me."

"Are you sure this is ok?" They both asked him.

"It's what's best for everyone right now." Just remember to come back for Kagome's graduation, ok?"

"We will." Sango promised, and they headed for the well.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````````````````````````````````````

"Kaede, we're…." Sango was cut-off when she saw her brother standing there. She actually shook her head in disbelief at seeing him in front of her.

"Um…hi?" The wind was knocked out of his lungs as she ran into him with a tight embrace.

"Where have you?...What?" She could not pick the first question to ask. Then, just as suddenly, she broke out crying. Miroku stepped in and helped her brother soothe the confused demon slayer.

"How about we just sit down for now, and worry about the questions later." Suggested the monk. "I'm sure that we all have our stories to tell."

"I think that would be best." Stated Keade. "There is plenty of time for explanations from everyone later on." Everyone agreed, and sat down.

------------------------------------------------------^^ --------------------------------------------------

Inu Yasha lounged in the Sacred Tree, looking over the area that the shrine nestled itself into. He half laughed to himself; he had never before realized that Kagome's house practically sat on Kikyo's grave. It would explain why Kagome was picked to house her long wandering soul, as well as her inheritance of the Shikon No Tama. He sighed once again, utterly bored. His ears perked up as he heard Kagome's foot steps. He turned to look, and they greeted each other with a smile.

"They announced the class standings today." Kagome proclaimed cheerfully.

"And you're at the top of your class." Inu Yasha said as he grabbed her in for a hug.

"No, actually, I know I've worked hard these last few months and all, but it would take a miracle to put me at the top." She put her hands on his shoulders. "I'm lucky they didn't expel me for all of the time that I missed."

"Then why are you so happy?" He asked her. "I thought that it was the top spot, or you couldn't get into a good college, or whatever."

"Silly, I've already been accepted into a great school, and even though I'm not at the very top in my class, I did well enough to put me into the top fifteen percent!" She jumped excitedly and gave him a bear hug.

"Did I just hear what I think I heard?" Kouga came up the shrine steps hand in hand with Ms. Higurashi. Kagome only nodded excitedly. Then, everyone came together in a large group hug.

"So, did the kids behave for you today, Inu Yasha?" Kagome's mother inquired.

"What do you mean?" Inu Yasha stated guardedly.

"We went out for the day. We asked you to watch Shippou and Trin before we left."

"I've been out here all day, you were still upstairs when I came out to say goodbye to Sango and Miroku." A curtain of both fear and apprehension descended onto the group at that moment, just before they all took off for the house.

(Could be evil, end it here, but not gonna)

There was no damage done that day, Trin was still so mad with everyone that she had kept herself locked in the room all day thinking that she was teaching everyone a lesson. While Shippou was just so utterly terrified of being left alone with Trin that he locked himself in Sota's room, hoping she wouldn't break down the door. Nothing else outside of preparations for Kagome's graduation occurred during the remainder of the two weeks. Sango and Miroku even showed up, bringing along a few other guests.

"Oh, Kaede, I'm so glad that you decided to come." Kagome hugged her ferociously.

"Hey, get your hands off my date." Grandpa spoke up.

"That creeps me out on so many levels." Kagome whispered.

"You're telling me." Inu Yasha agreed. They both shrugged it off, and Kagome hugged Sango, Miroku, and Kohaku, but she stopped at the strange young man in front of her.

"Who are you?" She asked suspiciously

"It is I, Jinenji." He said with a broad smile. Kagome gave him a queer look then turned to Inu Yasha.

"What? Did you think I was the only one with a human night?" He asked.

"But it's not the new moon." She stated.

"Everyone's different." Both Jinenji and Inu Yasha stated. Kagome then gave everyone one last goodbye, and left to prepare for the graduation ceremony.

After the ceremony, there was a party back at Kagome's house. Other families showed up and it became an unofficial party for the entire class. One of Kagome's classmates approached her.

"It's hard to believe we've actually made it this far, what are you going to do now Kagome?" Kagome just smiled and squeezed Inu Yasha affectionately.

"For now, I have a wedding to plan." She stared dreamily into his eyes, and they kissed as the person walked away, feeling suddenly uncomfortable.

It lasted until almost dawn when all of the guests decided it would be a good idea to head home, and Trin along with Shippou and Sota had already passed out on various pieces of furniture.

It was a unanimous decision that the clean-up effort would wait until everyone had a good sleep. Inu Yasha and Kagome were the last one's heading upstairs when a sharp knock came at the door. Kagome turned wearily around.

"One of the guests probably forgot something." She was about to turn the handle when Inu Yasha stiffened to grab her hand.

"That's no guest." He whispered. "It isn't even human."

(Should I leave it there? Nah.)

Inu Yasha took up a fighting stance as Kagome slowly answered the door. There in the doorway stood a young man with blonde hair and brown eyes stood there in a t-shirt and denim shorts, obviously American. He looked to be in his middle to late twenties. You could see a hand on his shoulder, but a lock of black hair was the only other feature showing of the other figure.

"I apologize for the ungodly hour, but my associate and I have only just arrived, we have nowhere to stay, and it was you we came all the way here to see." He smiled pleasantly. Kagome and Inu Yasha just blinked.

"Wha, wha?" Kagome asked while shaking her head.

"Let me start over. Hi, my name is Duncan E. Aubrey." Silence was returned. He looked over at Inu Yasha. "My, aren't you a cutie? The descriptions hardly do you justice."

"Wait a minute; did you come all this way to hit on my fiancée?" Kagome asked.

"Of course not." He turned to talk to his back. "Deirdre, I think it would be better if you came out from behind me. You are the one that wanted to talk to them." A startling green eye popped out from underneath the dark tresses wide with fear.

"Hey, wait a minute he was hitting on me?" Inu Yasha's sleep deprived brain finally registered Kagome's comment.

"Um, could you keep it down please? Deirdre is a little timid around loud people, and I'm sure there are people trying to sleep in the house, so if you might just..." Duncan was cut-off by an angry growl.

"Get the hell out!" Inu Yasha went to close the door, but was stopped by Kagome.

"Please come in." she said, rubbing the space between her eyes. "I'm sorry, but the best we can do for now is the living room."

"What?" Inu Yasha stared unbelieving.

"Thank you that will be just fine." Duncan said politely, ushering himself and the timid Deirdre in.

"Kagome, what are you doing?" Inu Yasha asked.

"Look, it's late, they obviously want to talk, and I'm tired."

"They aren't human, can we trust them?" He pleaded.

"Well, neither are you, and if they were a threat, they would have done something right now." The girl, Deirdre turned her head as if she heard their whispered argument. Duncan turned around about the same time, and spoke to her.

"Honestly, Deirdre, I have no idea why you still act like this every time you get around new people. You are probably in one of the few places you can be yourself, and you're still acting like a scared kitten." Deirdre then, pushed him, and plopped herself down on the couch. The little tiff caught the attention of Kagome and Inu Yasha.

"Um, if you don't mind me asking, are you two married?" Kagome asked. This received a laugh from Duncan and a complete look of surprise from Deirdre.

"Honey, that would make my parents a hell of a lot happier with me than they are now. You could say I'm more like her translator." He gave a grin. A look of realization crossed Kagome's face.

"Oh, well then, I guess there's not much to worry about leaving you down here until morning?"

"That's right, besides, I think the jet lag is starting to kick in." Deirdre was already asleep on the couch, and Duncan stretched himself out on a recliner almost mimicking the positions of the bodies that occupied them less than half an hour beforehand. Kagome tugged on Inu Yasha's arm and began dragging him up the stairs.

"Hey, what was all that about? What did he mean?" The irate hanyou argued.

"I'll tell you in a minute." With that she pulled him into the room.

Once all was quiet and dark, Duncan whispered out to Deirdre.

"The stories were right about more than his looks." He paused, as if listen to a voice only he could hear. "Heh, drama queen," he laughed, "maybe, but they are great together." He settled in completely. "Good night to you too."

Sango and Miroku were settling into their personal room in the hut they now shared with Kohaku. A slight breeze blew in, and Miroku got up to shut the window, only to see the figures standing out side. White hair reflected into the moonlight, the smallest of the figures holding an object in their hands. Miroku spoke softly to Sango.

"I believe we have company."

Now, at this point, I am not being mean, I'm going camping for the weekend, and I wanted to post before leaving. I start classes again on Monday, so my free time will be stretched once again. Though I'm sure you will agree that this has been one of my longest chapters since the first one. I do apologize for the outrageous command that I made about how many reviews I really thought I had more reviews than I did, and in the end thought that I was only asking for like five reviews, I'm sorry, but in the same situation if I do not get reviews, I have this concept that if no one really wants to read it, I should stress myself urgently to do so. At the same time I would like to thank the few that did review, at least I know someone enjoys what I do with my time.

If you would like to read more about Deirdre and Duncan, I know it is a cop-out, but it is usually what I spend the other half of my precious free time on. There are two separate links in my author's bio. One for fictionpress.com, and one for my personal website. I know there was more, but I'm out of time, and I know some of you are wondering about the voices, so they get a chance to do their usual complaining, and those of you that do read author's notes, can laugh at the ones that don't because they are missing out on the end of the chapter.

later: Dexter's Sister

-------

"Hey wait, I have the sudden feeling of being ignored."

"Yeah, almost like we've been forgotten."

"Nah." "Nah."