Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Aerial ❯ Fall of the Destiny Islands ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
I went home that night, without the Keyblade. It had dissapeared, but I had a feeling it would show up again.

"Mom, I'm home!" I called as I pushed the door open.

"I'm in the kitchen!" She called. I sniffed the air, and smiled.

Fish.

When I entered the kitchen, the smell was so strong, my mouth began to water. I loved fish. My mother was standing at the stove, holding a frying pan handle with one hand, and a fork with the other.

"How was the island?" She asked, turning around. Her long, red hair swished when she moved, and her indigo eyes sparkled in the light from the big windows that my Father had built before he left.

"Great." I wasn't about to ruin her happy mood with my dream. She smiled at me, and stepped away from the stove.

"Sakura, I know when your lying. Your voice gets high-pitched." I blinked, trying to act innocent.

"No it doesn't." Yes it does. Darnit!

My Mother simply smiled more. "So, Kyo's birthday is tommorow." She sighed. " I remember when you two were only thigh-high and had to jump to see over the top of this counter. And now Kyo's turning fifteen and you're in love with him." I blushed.

"Mom!" She laughed.

"Well, it's true! No use denying the truth, now, is there?" I looked down.

"...No." My Mother smiled and turned back to the stove, while I allowed my mind to wander. I had already gotten Kyo a birthday p resent: a book I knew he wanted. But there was something else I wanted to get him:

A Papau fruit.

I'd heard the legend from the kids at school.

"If you share Papau fruit with someone, your destinies are entertwined forever!"

"Really? I'm gonna share one with my boyfriend!"

"I wonder if Kyo will share a Papau fruit with me on his birthday!"

I really wanted to share one with him, but I decided to play the role of childhood-best-friend.

Besides, he didn't like me that way....

...right?

"Sakura? Sakura, honey? Are you okay?" I looked up, startled, to see my mom peering at me with concern in her eyes. I smiled.

"Yeah, I was just, spacing out...." I stood up from the table. "I'm gonna go to my room now, Mom. Tell me when dinner's ready." She smiled back at me.

"Alright, dear." And I walked the long hallway to my room.

I sighed as I flopped down on my bed. I buried my face in my pillow, and sighed into it. I slowly drifted off to sleep.

"Sakura." I opened my eyes, and found that I was no longer in my room. I was back on the beach, and it was night time again.

I turned, and saw the boy again.

"Who are you!?" I shouted at him. He simply smiled. Where have I seen that smile before?

"
That's not important right now." He took a step closer to me. I went into a fighting stance instantly, and the Keyblade appeared in my hand. The boy, however, instead of doing anything to defend himself or attack me, simply continued to smile.

"
Do you know what that is called?" He asked. I was shocked.

"The....Keyblade. Why?" I asked. He took a step closer to me.

"
Do you know why you know what to call it?"

"...No...." I answered honestly. I had no idea how I knew how to call it that. He placed a hand on my shoulder. I hadn't noticed how close he had come to me, or that I had relaxed from my fighting stance.

"
You are the Keyblade Mistress, Sakura." I stared blankly at him.

"Uh, what?" He sighed, and smiled.

"
Twenty years ago, a boy was chosen to be the Keyblade Master. He was to save the worlds from the heartless, nobodies, Organization XIII, and Ansem, and free the captured Princesses. He did save the worlds, and reunited with his friends." A sad smiled now graced his face.

"
Unfortionately, the darkness has risen again, and the Keyblade master has been locked away. That is why we call upon you, Sakura. We need your help to free him." I was still confused.

"Why do you need me? Why can't someone else do it?" He removed his hand from my shoulder, and looked back into my eyes.

"
All in good time, Sakura.Just remember: you are the one, who will open the door." He whispered, and then, and this is the weirdest thing I have ever, in my entire life experienced. The boy walked, not around me, not away from me, heck, he didn't even float up into the sky or sink downwards into the Earth.

He walked right through me.

Instead of feeling the cold that I had been told I might feel if a ghost ever walked through me, (I was asumming he was a ghost, from how much he knew), I felt warm.

Like the warm I felt when I was with my Father.

I turned around sharply to question him, but he was gone, and the darkness seeped in again.

I sat up with a start, causing myself to tumble off the bed and land with a loud 'oof' on the ground.

"Sakura, honey? Are you alright in there?" I heard my Mother yelling from the kitchen. I sat up, rubbing my head.

"Yes, I'm fine!"

"Dinner will be ready in a few minutes!" She yelled. Dinner? How long had I been asleep? I looked out the window and, decided that, from the sun's position, about half-an-hour.

I picked myself off of the ground, and straightened my clothes.

Who is that boy? I wondered as I opened my bedroom door.

/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/

The next night was Kyo's party. I practically flew down the dock to the beach, and spotted Kyo, talking to a few of the boys from school. I bounced up behind him, and punched his shoulder playfully.

"So, the only time that I can get a hit in on you is when you're having a party?" I laughed. He turned around and grinned. His brown eyes sparkled in the light from the tikki-torches, and his mane of wild blonde hair shined.

"I suppose so, Sakura." He said, chuckling. I gave him a hug.

"Happy birthday, Kyo." I said, as he returned the hug. He pulled back, and smiled at me.

"Sakura, there is something I want to tell you." I cocked my head to the side.

"What?" Kyo seemed nervous. But that was so out of character for him! He was usually cool and confident, not ancy and nervous. Well, whatever he was about to tell me, it was interupted by a red-head girl stomping her way through the crowd towards us. I groaned inwardly.

Yume.

Yume grabbed Kyo's arm, and stared at him with beging green eyes.

"Kyo!" She whined, in a 'Oh, aren't-I-beautiful-look-at-me-la-de-da-de-da'. I wanted to slap her. "Won't you please dance with me?" I grimaced. Kyo stared at Yume with wide eyes. He looked back and forth from her to me, and Yume eventually followed his gaze, acknowledging my presence.

"Oh, Sakura. How lovely to see you here." She spat. I gritted my teeth, but forced a smile. Yume was my enemy in winning Kyo's heart. She was also my exact opposite.

While I enjoyed hanging out with the boys, she could be seen with her little groupies.

While she liked painting her nails, getting her hair done and shopping, I liked surfing, fighting, and playing blitzball at the beach.

You get the picture.

"Sakura, dear," I heard her lace the word 'dear' with venom, "would you mind being a good little girl and fetch me a drink?" I balled my hand into a fist , but before I could refuse, she had already dragged Kyo off to the dance floor.

/-/-/-/-/

Deciding that I probably wasn't going to get a chance to be with Kyo at all that night, I entered the old secret cave.

I walked through the cave, my footsteps echoing off the walls. I sat down in front of a drawing that my Father and Mother had made when they were little.

I ran a hand over the Papau fruit drawing in between them.

Flashback

I giggled as my Father chased me into the cavern. I stopped and my eyes widened when I saw all the drawings in the cave. One caught my eye, however, and, the game forgotten, I wandered over to it.

It was an old drawing, some parts faded and some still white with the chalk. I brought my hands up to it, and felt the cold stone beneath them. Bigger, tanned hands covered my own, and my father rested his head on my shoulder.

"So, you finally found the old drawing your mother and I made." I looked at him, tilting my head slightly.

"You and Mama?" I asked. He turned his head and smiled at me.

"Yes, when we were a little older than you. We drew each others faces, and later on, when I realized that I loved her, I drew a Papau fruit in between us." I had turned my head back to look at the drawing, and saw that the faces did, in fact, resemble Mother and Father.

Suddenly, his hands were off of mine, and on either sides of my waist, and I was up in the air, and on my father's shoulders.

"Now, let's go home and eat some dinner!" He mocked roared, and ducked his head when we reached the opening of the cave, so I squealed in terror.

End Flashback

I sighed, and closed my eyes.

"This world has been conected, once again." I opened my eyes sharply and turned around. Standing across from me was a man in a black cloak.

"What?" I asked, curiousity taking over my fear. I couldn't see the man's face, but I didn't like the feeling that came from him. It seemed to infect the whole cave, and sent shivers up my spine.

"Soon, this world will be no more. And with the Key-bearer asleep, no one will be able to stop it." I frowned. Had he not heard me? He walked over to the wooden door in the back, and ran a hand along it. When he removed his hand, there was a keyhole there.

I stared at it. It almost seemed to be...calling to me. When I turned to look if the man was still there, I found that he had dissapeared.

I walked ouside, no longer wanting to stay in the cave. I relaxed when the cool breeze hit my face, and I heard the swaying of the palm trees and the waves of the ocean breaking on the sand.

It was then that I realized that I couldn't hear any sounds of the party. The music was gone, as were the lights. I ran to the beach.

"Hello?" I called, but no one answered me.

/-/-/-/-/-/-/

Back at the house, Kairii sat on the balcony, reading a book. She could hear the lively music coming from the beach, but payed no mind.

Then, there was another sound.

She looked up.

An, engine?

Sure enough, there was a distant sparkle of light, and suddenly, a ship was zooming towards her.

When it got closer, she realized what ship it was:

The Gummie Ship.

Her heart rose in her chest, and a true smile graced her face.

It's him! He's finally home! She raced downstairs to the dock, where the Gummie Ship had landed. The door creacked open, and, someone stepped out.

"Kairii?" The voice asked. Kairii nodded.

"Yes, I'm here." She said. The figure walked towards her, and was revealed to be Leon. Her heart dropped, but she was still happy to see him.

Leon had his gun sword swung across his shoulders, and his face was grim.

"Kairii, you need to go inside and get the stuff you want to save. Then, go get Sakura, and come back here. You guys can't stay here anymore. It isn't safe." Kairii gaped.

"Are...are they coming?" She asked, shaking. Leon looked down.

"Yes, tonight." Kairii covered her mouth with a hand. Her eyes imediatly traveled to the far off island. Leon followed her gaze.

"You need to go get your stuff, now!" He said, and she didn't wait another minute. Kairii turned and ran back up the dock, upstairs into the house.

A few minutes later, she was back with a bag slung over her shoulder.

"Sakura's at the beach!" She said, breathlessly, as her and Leon raced down the dock. They entered the Gummie Ship. Kairii looked eagerly around, but felt a hand on her shoulder.

"He's not here, Kairii." Kairii looked down.

"Hey, but we are!" She looked up again, and saw Yuffie waving at her. She smiled, and waved back.

"C'mon, let's get this show on the road!" Cid called from the front of the ship, where he had his hands on the controls. Everyone nodded.

"We'll finally get to meet your daughter, Kairii!" Yuffie said, nearly bouncing out of her seat. Kairii sat down next to her, and Leon sat next to Cid.

/-/-/-/-/-/

"Sakura?" I turned, and saw Kyo walking towards me. He looked confused. "Where is everyone?"

"I..I don't know." I said, looking around. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a shadow move. I snapped my head in its direction.

"Huh? What was that?" I turned back to Kyo.

"Did you see tha--" I stopped when I saw that Kyo wasn't there. Where had he gone?

"Kyo?" I yelled. Was I all alone now? Ahead of me, I saw a shadow move again.

"Kyo?" I asked, quietly. The shadow creeped along the beach, and I gasped when it became 3-D and formed into a little black creature, with yellow eyes. I stumbled back, and the Keyblade apeared in my hand. The shadow moved back and forth, bouncing on its heels, as if it was waiting for the right time to do something.

I had been concentraiting so hard on the one shadow in front of me, that I didn't notice all the other little creatures that looked just like the first one, until they had surrounded me in a complete circle. I took a fighting stance, and charged my way through, slashing at them with the Key. They dissapeared, but more soon came to take their place.

Soon, the whole beach was swarming with them. I tried my best to fight my way through them, and to the peir, but there were just to many! One pushed me over and I thought for sure I was a goner when I heard someone calling my name. I looked up, and saw that a girl was flinging ninja stars at the creatures. It was hard to make out her features, but I could definetly see that she was a girl.

Someone picked me up by the back of my shirt. I looked up, and could barely make out a man with long brown hair standing there, wearing mostly black except for a white shirt under his short black jacket. Slung over his left shoulder was a sword that resembled a gun. He was looking straight ahead, at the creatures.

"You have the Keyblade, don't you?" He asked, as he set me back on my feet. I nodded, and then realized that he probably couldn't see me.

"Ah, yes." I said, still staring up at him. I saw his head move, and figured that he nodded.

"Good. We'll make our way to Yuffie. C 'mon." He jumped into the swarm of creatures, and began swinging his blade around and shooting fire from it. I stared in shock for a few seconds, before shaking my head and jumping into stand next to him.

Together, we b attled our way towards the girl, (who I guess was Yuffie), and she led us to an orange and yellow ship. I fell to my knees, exhausted from using so much energy, and supported my body with my hands. I heard the man shout to someone in the front to start the engines, and felt someone place their hands on my shoulders.

I realized that it was my Mom, and smiled. She was okay! I frowned, however, when I thought about Kyo. Was he alright?

As I kneeled on the floor, I sensed a presence and slowly looked up. The boy was standing there, smiling at me. As my eyelids began to droop, and the darkness of sleep overcame me, I heard him whisper:

"Just remember, Sakura: You are the one, who will open the door."