Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Evanescence Of Fantasies ❯ Destiny Islands ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
DESTINY ISLANDS

"Riku! Are you even listening?" Selphie asked angrily as she watched Riku stare off into space again.

"Yes." He replied, even though he didn't hear one word she said. He's been feeling weird lately. It had to do something with his dreams because now he was obsessed with finding other worlds. Before he could really care less but now he felt obligated to at least try to leave. That's when he convinced Sora and Kairi to build a raft with him. Like that'll work...I need a ship or something.

"What did I say then?" Selphie asked, tapping her foot impatiently.

"That I was the hottest guy you ever saw." He responded, smirking as she sighed out in frustration and walked away. Works every time...

"You're so rude to Selphie." Riku turned around to see Kairi smiling up at him. She was always looking happy, he loved it but sometimes it bothered him. What is she so happy about? They were stuck in the most boring place ever. He remembered when Kairi first came to the islands after the meteor shower. Sora and Riku were one of the first people to meet her. She was shy but somehow Sora managed to get her to socialize by using his goofy tactics. Riku just flirted to get a response out of her.

"She's nosey." He replied, "She always wants to know what I'm thinking."

"All girls wanna know what boys are thinking." Kairi said, sitting on the branch next to him, "And it's not only us females that want to know what you're thinking, Riku. So do the boys. We're worried."

"About what?" He asked, still staring at the water, "I'm fine."

"You've become obsessed with other worlds since you had that dream."

He turned to look at her in shock. Her smile widened.

"You talk in your sleep." She explained.

"And how do you know...?""You take naps here and Sora and I like to check up on you..."

"You mean throw rocks at me." He said, glaring lightly at her, "I thought that was Tidus."

Kairi giggled, blushing, "Sorry...Sora's idea!"

"Uh huh." Riku nodded slowly, not believing her. Anyways, Sora knew better.

"Anyways you're always muttering something about worlds then you say something about a girl...we never caught her name though." Kairi stared at him, waiting for him to tell her.

"A girl?" He asked, a little surprised himself. He did remember something about a girl...but he couldn't recall her name either. "I wish I knew too."

Kairi frowned, seeing he was deep in thought again. She patted him on the back before jumping off the branch.

"Don't worry, Riku. You're not the only one having weird dreams."
"You are too?" He asked. He'd feel relieved if he wasn't the only one. To be honest he was starting to feel a little crazy.

She shook her head, "Sora is...something about a keyblade. I think you're both nuts though."

"This coming from a girl who doesn't even know where she came from." Riku smiled.

"Hey!" She stuck out her tongue then walked towards her boat, "Soon, Riku, we'll be leaving. Just...be patient, ok?"
"Sure." He replied as she got in her boat. Patience was never one of my qualities.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------

Riku laid in his room, staring out the window at the dark sky. Tomorrow they were leaving to find other worlds...that is if there were other worlds.

There are...I know it. How...I don't know but I'm positive.

There was a flash of lightning off in the distance as Riku felt more tired then ever. A storm? Aw man! The raft is gonna get ruined! I should...He felt his eyes slowly close. Why am I suddenly so...tired?

Riku...

He yawned as he heard a little voice in his head call his name. Who's there?

Riku, please just go to sleep!

Who are you?

Riku...go to sleep. He heard the frustration in her voice so he decided to let sleep claim him.

------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------

"About time, gosh! Are you always this hard-headed?"

Riku looked around cautiously, seeing nothing but darkness.

"Don't be afraid."

"I'm not!" He responded stubbornly. Who does this person think she is? Riku wasn't scared of anything!

She sighed, "I know you're wondering where you're at and who I am."

"And where you're at." He added.

She chuckled, stepping into view so he could see her. "Sorry about that. Been trapped in darkness so long I forgot other people can't see me in it."

"Trapped in Darkness?" He asked, examining the girl carefully. She looked innocent enough...and really attractive. She had long brown hair and big brown eyes that seemed to spell 'innocence'. She wore a weird looking black dress that wrapped around her skinny yet curvy body.

"I have a lot to explain and so little to do so..." She grabbed his hand, "My name's Lenne. I am a...prisoner here."

"Here?" He asked, looking around, "It's just darkness. Where is 'here' exactly?" He glanced down at her hand on his, not really minding she was touching him.

"It's complicated." Lenne sighed, "I was captured and tooken prisoner. Stuck in my own body. But before I was tooken I found a book and...you were in it."

"Me?" Riku asked in shock. What was he doing in a book?

"Yes you, Riku. The book is called 'Heartless Of Darkness' it has a lot of information on the darkside and Kingdom Hearts..."

"What was I doing in there then?" He asked. If the book was only about evil, why would he be in it? And what's this Kingdom Hearts she's talking about?

"Look...I don't have enough time to explain but I promise it'll make since later. Right now I need you to let that darkness on your island take you."

"Darkness on my island?" He pulled out of her grasp and glared at her, "How do I know you're not setting me up? How do I know you're not a bad person?"

He saw hurt in her eyes as he said that, immediately feeling sorry for what he said.

"Look, I'm sorry..."

"It's ok. You're right." She smiled, "You don't know. I don't even know what I am sometimes. All I know is I need you to save me."

"Save you? From what?"

"From 'who' you mean." She corrected, "Samara, look...I promise you I'm not trying to trick you. I need you! You're my guardian! The book says you're my guardian!"

"The book? Guardian?" Riku felt her slipping away from him, knowing he was waking up, "Wait! How am I your guardian?"

"Just go to the island! Please!" Lenne cried out as Riku opened his eyes.
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------

He rubbed his eyes and looked out the window, wondering if it was just a dream. Lenne...Before he knew it, he was throwing his blankets off himself and getting out of his bed. He wasn't sure if he could trust the girl but he did know he wanted to help her. Why? He had no idea, but he felt this weird connection to her.

Let's just have a look at the island. He decided.

--------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------

Once he reached the island he saw a big ball of darkness above the spot he always sat at.

"What is that?" Riku turned around to see Kairi looking up at it in fear.

"Kairi, you shouldn't be here!" He said. He had a bad feeling about this. But the girl told him it'll be ok...for him. But what about Kairi? "Get back home."

Kairi gave him a stubborn look, "And leave you to move that big raft by yourself? I don't think so!"

Riku sighed, knowing she wasn't going to leave, "Kairi, this is more serious then a stupid raft. Please...just go back home."

Kairi gazed at him with concern. Why was he acting so weird again? "Riku, you were so in love with that raft before. Now you don't even care about it? What's wrong? What's going on with you?"

"I really don't wanna talk about it." He responded, his eyes straying back to the darkness ball, "You wouldn't believe me anyways."

"Riku..."

"Just go home, Kairi. I'll be fine." He began walking towards the little piece of land in the water.

"Riku!" Kairi called out again, but this time he heard fear in her voice. He turned to see what was wrong, but her eyes weren't on him. They were wide with fear as they stared at something behind him.

"Kairi...?" He stepped towards her; wondering what was wrong.

She quickly held up a hand, telling him not to move. "Riku...there's a...thing behind you."

"A thing?" He turned around; ignoring her protests. There was a 'thing' standing there, looking at him with big yellow eyes. What the hell is that? He noticed it's attention was no longer on him. It's eyes shifted slowly to Kairi; somewhat smiling even though he couldn't see it's mouth. "Kairi...I'm gonna need you to run." He said, never taking his eyes off of the creature.

"W-what about you?" She asked; frightened about leaving Riku alone to defend himself against this thing.

"I'll be fine...find a safe place to hide....shit!" Riku watched as darkness spread over the sand and more creatures popped up, "Kairi, go." He noticed she was still standing behind him, not even making an attempt to move, "RUN!"

Kairi hurriedly ran off as some of the creatures chased her. Riku was ready to attack them when he saw a familiar figure. "Lenne?" He asked, confused. His blue eyes examined her body as she stood on the beach staring back at him. He could tell she wasn't really there by the way the darkness surrounded her. She was more like a hologram.

"Go, Riku! Go to the dark ball." She said, looking down at the heartless who hissed at Riku angrily, "I can't hold them off forever."

Riku looked down at the heartless then back at her, "You can control these things?"

"Sadly yes." She sighed, looking to where Kairi ran off, "Your friend...Kairi, she'll be fine. Don't worry about her."

"I can't just leave her here!" Riku said. He knew Kairi ran off the the secret place which was nothing but a dead end. If those things caught her..."I have to help her!"

"She's fine! She's coming too." Lenne looked behind Riku and saw another boat approaching them, "And so is he."

Riku turned to see Sora paddling towards the island; probably concerned about the raft too.

"Where are we going?"

"Another world." She answered before fading away.

Another world? So he was right. There were other worlds The heartless didn't disappear as Lenne went away. Riku was prepared to fight his way to the piece of land if he had to. Before the creatures could pounce on him, a light formed. They backed away in fear as Riku looked at his hand in shock. The light disappeared, leaving a necklace.

What the-It was a small silver one with a heart pendant. Riku noticed writing engraved on it, "You do have a heart, Lenne. Love Riku." He read aloud. Love Riku? To Lenne? Have I met this girl before? And when did I give this to her? He shrugged, holding onto it tightly. It's time to go, I guess. With one last glance at the secret place, he ran towards the land.

------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------

He felt it as the wind blew around him. He felt her. He had no idea what was happening but he liked it. He was finally going to leave this boring island and go to other worlds. But not by himself, Lenne said Sora and Kairi were coming too.

"Riku!" He heard Sora run up behind him, looking exhausted from running.

"It's time, Sora. Once we set through, we might not be able to come back. We may never see our parents again. There's no turning back. But this may be our only chance. We can't let fear stop us! I'm not afraid of the darkness!" Riku said as he watched Sora stare at him in fear. Riku didn't even know what he was saying himself but this all felt oddly familiar.
"Darkness?" Sora asked in confusion, "What are you talking about, Riku? What's going on? Where's Kairi?"
"Kairi's coming too." He responded, extending out a hand for him to grab. Sora looked down, noticing the darkness spread over the little piece of land and make it's way up to their bodies.
"Riku..." Sora said with uncertainty, but Riku just smirked as the darkness covered them. Sora tried to reach out to him but he was too late, Riku was gone.
Sora opened his eyes to see he was alone and that the creatures were gaining on him. A light formed and a giant key appeared in his had.
The Keyblade....
Sora stared at in shock. Before a creature could pounce on him; he slashed it in half. It quickly vanished and a heart faded into the air.
"I have to find Kairi." He said before running to the secret place.
---------------------------------------------------------------- -----------
Riku slowly opened his eyes to find that he was no longer in his world.
"What do we have here?" A woman smiled down at her. He quickly got up and backed away cautiously. She was very tall with black horns and a long black gown, her yellow eyes lighted up with amusement.
"Where am I?" He demanded to know. His memory was little fuzzy but he remembered leaving the island in complete darkness.
"Do not be afraid, boy." She smiled wider, "I am Maleficent, and you are in Hallow Bastion. I'm guessing you are not from around here."
"Uh...yeah." He replied, rubbing his head. He was trying to remember what happened.
"You looking for someone? You seem lost." Maleficent said, looking at him with interest.
"I am..." He replied softly. The only problem was, he couldn't remember who. "A girl...I think."
"Kairi?" She asked, smiling as he quickly looked up at her.
"Kairi? Is she here? Where is she?" He asked impatiently. If this woman did anything to hurt her, he was going to cause her serious pain.
"Is that the person you're looking for?" She asked, not phased by his threatening look.
"I...I think so." He made a promise to help someone...was it Kairi? If it was then why would she need help?
"Come with me, boy." Maleficent said, wrapping an arm around his shoulder, "I'll help you find what you're looking for."
Riku nodded, not really sure if he should trust this lady. But he promised to help her...right? Why did he have a feeling he was missing something?
------------------------------------------------------------ -
Samara laughed as Lenne squirmed inside of her.
"Didn't go the way you'd expect it would did it?"
Sanara! If you hurt him!
"You're in no position to be making threats, Lenne. Did you think I wouldn't find out about you contacting that boy?" Samara felt Lenne feel with shame, "That's right, I know everything. It's a pity that I have to turn him by using some little redhead."
How could you? He cares deeply for Kairi and you're making him believe he made a promise to her!
"Jealous that I made him forget you?" Samara asked with a laugh, "It's sad when your own guardian, a guy that's suppose to love you, forgets you."
Lenne sighed, I made a deal with you. You promised to bring Aeris back to life if I let you make Riku forget me. I stick to my promises. He may not remember me...again, but I know how he feels.
"For Kairi." Samara smiled, "Face it, Lenne. You're old news. Kairi's always gonna be the love of his life. The apple of his eye...let me stop before I barf from all this..." Samara couldn't say it.
Lenne sneered angrily, You're horrible! First you have an innocent girl murdered because you want to find me! Not to mention how you missed up Cloud's and Tifa's lives! Now...now you're using Riku.
"Thanks to you, dear." Samara replied, "Plus, I gave him back the necklace he gave you. That was...nice of me, right?"
Lenne snorted, You did it to confuse him even more. Once I get out of here....
"You're never going to escape. Riku's never going to remember you, deal! And stop contacting your cousin Rinoa! She has her own problems to deal with. An unfaithful fiancee."
I have to let her know I'm fine! And Squall is not unfaithful! He's confused about his feelings for Rikku...why do they mean so much to you anyways? What's your plans for Squall and Rikku?
"If I told you...then I'd have to kill you. And since I love controlling your body," Samara got off her throne to look at herself in the mirror, "I can't do that."
--------------------------------------------------------