Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Invisible Love ❯ Already Gone ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Invisible Love
Chapter 5: Already Gone
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Kairi pulls me to the side and lets the others go ahead. I turn to the crimson haired female, "What's this all about?"

She smiles confidently, "I'm just trying to help and since we were going to the beach I thought maybe you'd like to come. You actually helped me get to my friends so I'm going to help you."

I quirk an eyebrow but we just keep moving instead. I wade out into waist deep water while Kairi remains on the beach. She runs out to Myde and whispers into his ear. In turn, Myde repeats the secret message to Ienzo and Marly. All four of them exit the water and head to the volleyball net. As the small group starts up a game I catch a glance from Sora. Riku has already swam far out into the open ocean and I can see the worry in the brunet's eyes.

I smirk at the younger man, "Don't worry I'll make sure he doesn't go too far."

Sora merely sighs in relief before diving under the water's glassy surface. I don't wait for him to resurface before paddling out after Riku. Growing up on a beach front must have given him lots of time to practice, because he sure is a strong swimmer. Maybe he was on the swim team in his high school years...maybe.

Wave after wave crashes over me. With each passing minute I'm challenged by mightier crests. The only thing that seems to keep me going is my goal of reaching the bobbing silver dot.

"Axel, help!"

I stop mid stroke and look over my shoulder to see a struggling Sora. I hadn't even realized that he had been following. Although it doesn't appear that he's struggling with the current...it just appears as though something's dragging him down. Glancing back our eyes connect, fear in both of us, knowing that Sora's in trouble. Doing a double-take I dive under to release him of whatever seems to have a hold on him. Sticking my head back above the water I breathe in much needed air.

"Don't worry I've got it." I try to reassure him...but I don't think it worked as well as I had hoped.

Taking a deep gulp of air I go back under. Opening my eyes I let the salt sting as I gaze into vibrant blue orbs and the shadowed form that they belong too. Instinct makes me gasp and I take in a mouthful of water. Quickly, I clasp one hand over my mouth and with the other I reach down to peel the thing's hand off. On the other hand, it latches onto one of my ankles. I kick frantically at it's hold while staring up at the barrier of water, begging for air as my lungs burn. Letting more water seep into my mouth I choke soundlessly. As my vision darkens I do manage to see Riku next to me and his arms around my waist.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

An appendage slams into my back. Automatically I roll onto my side and cough up the previously invading saltwater. Sitting up I search for my savior.

Riku.

"Thanks for that."

Silence.

"What the hell is wrong with you? No smart ass remark? No bragging, no your welcome, no nothing?"

Riku stands with his head hung, letting his silver bangs shield his eyes from my view. Persistent as ever I follow his movements. "Come on Riku, not even your replica was this rude."

At that he snaps around to face me, "What would you know? You got to come back to a life after you "saved Sora". You got to continue living this destiny as if it was never interrupted in the first place."

Not the response I was hoping for. But it gives me something to work with and that's all I ask right now.

"But it was Riku, just like your's was. I'm no different than you."

Oops, wrong choice of words there Axel.

"I'm nothing like you." he spits back at me.

The distressed male pivots on his bare heel and starts walking. Staring at his distant feet the thought hits me. The white tile we're walking on is the pathway before the door...

"Riku stop, just wait a minute! Don't you see where we are?" Glancing around it finally clicks in his brain. Emotion flares in his eyes before dieing back down once more to its current state. "You gonna be okay?"

A labored breath slips between his pale lips. "I'm fine, I just want to find Sora."

As we begin walking again, this time side by side, a thought pecks at my brain. "Hey Riku, are you and Sora together?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"None of your business."

"Do you already like someone?"

"No."

"Do you want to?"

"No."

So much for giving it a shot.

"Is it because he loves someone else?"

Riku stops dead and swivels around to face me, anger and sorrow wrote into his features. "Why won't you just leave me alone? If you really want to know then yes! Sora met Roxas and I was nothing and still am nothing compared to him...and...he's perfect for Sora, I'm not."

"I understand what you've been through Riku."

Aquamarine orbs narrow in distrust. "How would you, you were a nobody, you had no heart."

I lay a hand over my beating organ and feign hurt. "That's cold Riku, you really hurt my feelings." The corner of his mouth twitches up into a smirk at my act and I can't help but smile at it. "Well I had the same thing happen to me. Except instead of falling for Sora, I felt for Roxas."

Riku bows his head, "Sorry...I didn't know."

I sling my arm around him and pull him into a hug, "No problem not many did. Only Zexion and Demyx or well Ienzo and Myde." I chuckle at the mistake I had made on the names. "Now let's go get that little keyblade master."

The silverette only shakes his head, "You do know he's twenty right? He's not so little anymore."

I lift a smug grin onto my lips, "He may be but I'm still the almighty tallest here."

With that I earn a stifled laugh from the one my heart has begun to ache for. However, I set my feelings aside so that we can find the missing member of the group. Honestly, it doesn't take long either. All we had to do was keep walking till we come upon the great elegant door leading into the purest darkness. A figure in the trademark Organization 13 coat stands before it with Sora cradled in his arms. I feel a tug at the back of my mind and I instantly know who it is. It's a shame Riku hasn't figured it out yet. Instead, he summons his sword with the flick of his wrist.

Gazing at the superior weapon I realize that it's not the Soul Eater. Two wings form the handle; one bat wing, one angel wing. Still the same shades of color it gives off a feeling of both light and dark, not just one or the other. Expecting my question, Riku answers before I can even get the thought into words, "Way to Dawn," he states.

Moving his body into a stance he prepares a strike if anything should happen. I roll my eyes at how blind he actually can be. Doesn't even need the damned ribbon on. Maybe if it was on he could figure it out.

I saunter over to the slightly taller version than I remember. I pull the hood off to let the flaxen spikes soar into the air and defy gravity as it should be. Behind me I hear the disappearing poof of Riku's sword and his footfalls coming to take his spot next to me.

"Hey little buddy!" I greet happily while inside plays a different story.

He smiles sheepishly, "Hi...I can still call you Axel right?" I nod and his grin grows. "Good, it's nice to see you again too Riku, and not be fighting. Thank you for taking me to Sora."

Riku grits his teeth together, "Your welcome."

I nudge him in the arm with my elbow before cocking my head to the side, acting like I had done nothing out of the ordinary. "So Roxy, how'd this happen?"

"I'm not so sure myself. I just remember Sora trying to reach me every night. It's not like I could step out of his body and say hi back. I guess...I'm myself now."

"Does that mean you're coming back? You could always stay with us. Marly has this enormous house and..."

At my question Riku had left us to stare at his back. Roxas doesn't even seem to notice as I stare worriedly at the man's still pale back. "Yeah I can. I was trying to but I was getting sucked back down and I saw something dangling so I latched onto it. Didn't know that it was Sora...talk about fate in work."

Riku begins walking away at the end of the sentence and I can't help but feel sorry for him. I shoot Roxas a glance over my shoulder and he must have understood. I'll just have to talk to him later. I'm more worried about Riku.

While I stood there, he had already made it close to where we had begun. Roxas had disappeared from sight in a puff of water, not that a puff of water makes any sense. It was like smoke but with water instead. Lunging forward I grabbed onto one of Riku's swinging wrists. However, the second my fingers clasped around it a painful hiss shoots back my way.
It did get him to stop though.

Riku tries to snatch away from me but I keep my grip firm and yank him toward me. At that moment I pull both ashen wrists up so I can see them and flip them over, palms up. Scattered along his left arm are healing slits while on the right wrist there is none. Riku's ocean eyes had appeared dried up and emotionless, but now, tears flood over the side as he presses his face into my chest. Naturally I circle my arms around him and the second I do, water cascades up from the ground, engulfing us completely.

Breaking the surface of the now icy water. I frantically look around for Riku when I notice where he is. How stupid of me...he's in my arms the way he had been. I shake him gently, trying to edge him out of his sleep or unconsciousness, whichever it happens to be. With no response from him at all I paddle us back to the shore. The second I pull him up on the beach everyone turns to me. I don't mind being shoved out of the way so that they can make sure he's okay.

Roxas stands off near the stairs leading back to the sidewalk that takes you to town, from what Sora had explained to me. I stand next to my old friend with my arms crossed.

"Is he okay?"

"Riku's a tough one. Probably just swallowed some water."

Roxas sighs, "I'm sorry Axel. I hadn't explained myself. But it wouldn't have worked between us and you know it. I just had left before we could crash and burn."

I smile to him, "No I get it trust me."

He grins back but the light mood is interrupted by Kairi's shrill scream piercing the air.