Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Invisible Love ❯ Dark Side of the Heart ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Invisible Love
Chapter 12: Dark Side of the Heart
^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^

I'm thrown to the ground as my old friend hovers nearby. Kneeling and huffing with every strangled breath, the ice flakes away from my body. Glancing around I find the moon lighting our small area that will probably be smothered in blood by the time morning arrives. The sand beneath my limbs feels comforting compared to the hard earth of before.

Why? Why did he bring us back here?

"We use to sit here together. Don't you remember...Lea?"

Just kill me...I don't want to relive those memories. Those painful...tortured...memories of the past.

"Why do you care for this boy?" Disgust drips off of the word as if it holds a disease no one wants to catch. "I'm back now. Is that not good enough, Lea?"

A hand cups my chin as he kneels in front of me. My gaze is forced into those honey orbs that I had once cared for. The same scar of an "X" rests on his face, whole or not.

"Riku's just a child in a man's world. With our powers together we can wreck havoc above these worlds. No more charrades."

I shove him away and try to back up from his reach. "I don't want anything more to do with you! You aren't the same anymore Saix!" Flicking baby blue hair over his shoulder, Saix closes the distant as I push myself to stand on my feet and confront him. "I'd rather die than be back with you. Zexion helped me realize that. I should never have followed through with that order."

Saix's bone crushing claymore smacks hard into my chakrams as I attempt to fend off his surprise attack. Pain shoots through my shoulder as blood spews out over my shirt. My breath is knocked out of me as I fall back to the ground. The end of Saix's claymore crashes into the sand next to my head, spewing sand into the air. I roll my body the opposite way in an attempt to get away.

A firm hand buries itself in my hair and yanks me back against his chest. Hot breath grazes my neck and I surpress the shudder welling up inside of me.

"Don't you miss me Lea? I've been looking for you and all you want is that pathetic reject."
"Riku is not a reject!"

"Neither the light nor the dark claims him and more importantly...he doesn't claim anything in return. Not even you."

Thrashing around in his embrace, the only thing I wish to do is get away and go back to protect Riku.

"You were never emotionless like us Axel. You just ignored all that was happening around you. Even when I convinced Xemnas to make you hunt Roxas down and kill him, you still resisted."

"Set me free!"

"You're mine Lea. No one else's."
I'm hefted up into his arms for my weak body can do no more than cry out in agony. His boots pad across the long strip of dock leading out into the open ocean. Saix moves me so that I'm standing yet still being supported by his frame. I stare into the obscured swirling depths that is the ocean. Frightened beyond the point of care I concentrate on surviving this.

"Will you become my partner Lea?"

I close my eyes in defiance, "The name's Axel and I don't care about you, only Riku, got it memorized?"

A growl reverberates out of him, "Are you that stupid?"

"I won't be your pet any longer. I should've gotten rid of you and this never would have happened. All because of you we got turned into Nobodies."

All restraints are released from me as I fall forward. Normally I would throw my arms out to dull the blow. However, hitting the mild temperature of that of Heart's Crescent, I'm not worried. I know exactly where I am.

^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^

I run down the length of wood jutting out and propell myself upward before balling up and splashing down into the summer water. Popping my drooping red mane above the surface I'm met with strong arms wrapping around my thin waist.

"I love you Lea."

"I love you too."

My bluenette turns me to face him and he places a quick peck on my lips before diving back under. I follow in suit. Opening my eyes I keep his kicking feet in sight. Without goggles I've become adapted to the salt stinging my human eyes. As my lungs reach their maximum time without fresh air we break through the water and gulp in mouth after mouth of oxygen. Helping me up onto the ledge of rock he leads me to what he's recently discovered.

Standing majestically there in the farthest reaches of this deepsea cave is a door so elegant that I can't believe it's actually there. I drag my hand across the polished wood and awe at it's beauty.

"What is this?"

"A portal to everything we've ever wanted."

"Well I want to get back to shore for lunch."

"Lea shut up."

A deepset voice echoes while the owner remains cloaked in shadows. "This world has been connected."

Slightly worried I try to find the source of this foreboding thing. "What do you mean?"

"Darkness is the only way. It smothers all in its way. This tiny speck will be swallowed as well." answers the voice. "You have only one way to escape. Dive unflinching into the caverns of the shadows."

Gooseflesh erupts over my skin and I frantically rub my hands on my swimming trunks. "Let's get out of here." Giving up I return to the pool of water and slip out of these hidden tunnels.

My emerald orbs meet the sun's blazing rays once again and a comforting feeling returns, calming me completely.

^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^

I jolt up out of bed wide awake. Glancing around my room I realize that something is happening. Something bad. Throwing the sheets away I pull on jeans and quietly sneak out the front door as to not wake Mom and Dad. Staring up at the night sky a red and purple bulging orb floats over the heart shaped beach.

Breaking into a run I'm there in less than four minutes. I skid to a stop at the site of my lover standing just at the shore's edge where the water laps at his feet. Molten gold eyes flicker to me, with a mystery hidden behind them, before returning to looking out over the churning water.

I move up behind him and lay a hand gently on his shoulder. "Yo, do you know what's going on?"

Shadows spread across the crystal colored sand as though they are live.

"W-What are those?!"

Beady acidic yellow eyes spring up from said shadows to form little creaturs with sharp claws and teeth. I press my back against his as I attempt to devise a half-decent plan. As I blink my eyes in that fraction of a second I could have sworn that I saw something encircled in fire. A creature lunges forward at me but it goes no where. Instead it vanishes within a puff of black smoke.

In my out stretched hands are two spiked circles, commonly know as chakrams, clenched in my fists. Flames lick at the metal as they refuse to die. A smirk crawls its way onto my countenance as I step forward and slash through shadow after shadow. The cool night breeze keeps me on my toes as I slice through the last of the bunch.

He stands there. Just as I left him. Not having moved half an inch. Angered at his reluctance to notice what all has happened and all that I have done I march around in front of him, letting my barefeet pad through the wet sand. The ankles of my jeans soak in the liquid as I glare at him.

"What's gotten into you? There are things that could've killed you and you're standing here like a moron!"

From the corner of my eye I catch the moment of yet another being. A replica of those that I have vanished many times already tonight. But before I can move to send that one back where it came from...he gets to it first. The bluenette smashes the shadow creature into the earth with a large claymore resting tightly in his grasp.

"Come with me Lea."

"I don't think so. I've got to go make sure that everyone in town is okay. If I can stop these things then maybe stuff will go aw-"
"It won't Lea! Just give it up. We were chosen to travel through the portal and if we don't take this we'll die for sure."

"What about our parents and our friends!?"

He scoffs, "Who needs them when you can have unlimited power of the moon...of Kingdom Hearts!"

Slightly confused I splash through the water and to the dock. Anchored to it is a medium sized fishing boat. Jumping over the bar I untie it and hurry to the wheel. Without a second thought I twist the key that was left on the dash and start the propellers. Slowly the boat begins to split the water as it attempts to battle against the mighty waves that continously crash against the hull.

Far passed the mainland, the beach remains a small speck in the distant as the bulge still looms above me. I just can't outrun this thing. The boat launches backward as a large wave springs up. A shadow creature larger than any that I've seen tonight grabs ahold of the ship. Distressed I wrack my brain for my next move.

Too late...

A giant fist plumets into the deck. Wood splinters and flies up in all directions. Bouncing around from rail to wall I try to find a life-jacket or anything that might float. That's when the the beast sets his sights on me. A hand of crimped evil reaches out toward me.

Darkness surrounds and engulfs me.

I've got to escape...I've got to live!