Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Invisible Love ❯ Unbreakable ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Invisible Love
Chapter 13: Unbreakable

^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^

If I go back up there, Saïx will kill me. If only I knew where I had been battling Vexen, that way I could go to Riku, given that I had the strength.

I break the water's surface and grip the lip of the dock before pulling myself up. Standing straight I glance around only to see a vacant beach with no sign of retreat. In the pit of my stomach fear wells deep and knots my stomach. As I step off the dock I begin to follow the faint footprints in the sand.

Standing in front of a medium sized house realization hits home.

He wants to bruise me from the inside out. This is my home and I won't let him ruin whatever lives my family has been living...without me.

Pushing the door open I slip inside to see the lights blazing and beating back the darkness. A door slams and I race toward the sound. The screen door bounces shut as I barrel out into the night. A shock of blue heading back down to the beach catches my attention and I hurry after him.

Idling there he holds a lanky figure against him. Wide amethyst stare at me as they take me in.

My brother...

"Well Lea are you going to join me now? I could always take your little brother."

"You won't hurt him...'cause if you do I'll kill you."

"Is it a yes or no Lea?"

"Fine."

I cautiously stride over and he throws my dear brother down to the sand a few feet away. The second I get close enough I spin out my chakrams and toss them at Saïx. As his claymore is summoned to beat them away, I lift my brother to his feet and help him run with me. Digging into the center of my being I summon a wall of fire to separate us from him.

Far away I sit us down in an area covered in trees. "Are you okay?" He shakes his head no. "It's really me, Reno."

Fingers entangle themselves in the ends of his long crimson locks. "Lea...where did you go? Mom and Dad are gone to. I disappeared and then I was back here and everything was jumbled and confusing...what happened that night?"

"Our world was destroyed by the heartless. I...died..." He opens his mouth but I stop him, "The heartless took my heart and I became a Nobody. I made friends with other Nobodies and found Isa as one too. A boy reminded me that I can have heart...I died again trying to save him. That's how I found my real self again in a different world."

"I missed you Lea."

"Call me Axel now."

"Yo, can you stay here now?"

I sigh, "Not with Saïx still here."

"You mean Ïsa?"

"Yeah."

Reno scoots over to me and wraps his arms around me, giving me a big hug. "Don't leave me alone again. If Ïsa is gone then will you take me with you?"

"I have to kill him Reno."

"Let me help you." Standing up I glance around for any sign of Saïx. "I'll go out there and stall him for as long as I can and when he's completely off guard you can get him." With a nod he runs off back toward the shoreline.

Please stay safe Reno.

From behind the trees I observe him as he casually talks with Saïx. Reno gestures out toward the water and Saïx finally turns his back to me. Preparing myself to kill my very first best friend, I swallow down any old feelings. I crouch down and prepare to spring when I'm beat to the punch.

Riku appears out of a portal and slashes Saïx in the back.

A howl of agony and rage is released into the air as blood gushes from the wound. The claymore materializes and Saïx swings it without warning and it makes contact with Reno's frame. He crumples to the ground automatically.

While Riku rushes to his side I feel the hatred boiling in my blood. My chakrams fly from my fingertips. I launch forward and grab them just as the bounce off of his weapon. I crash one down and slice the other upward into his stomach. His blood drips onto my hands as I continue to cut through into him.

Saïx's claymore shatters into oblivion as I hold my chakram to his throat. "I warned you Saïx...I told you I'd kill you if you hurt my brother!"

I bury a chakram into his chest while his arms wrap around me. Glancing into his now calm eyes he smiles. "I loved you Lea...I'm sorry I used you to open the door and overthrow Xemnas."

"No your not. You just don't want me to kill you."

Haunting laughter cracks out of his throat splattering my face with his blood. "You're unbreakable Axel. You see right through me."

I shove his disintegrating body to the ground. I let my chakrams vanish as I kneel beside Reno. Pulling him into my arms I stand back up. "Open me a portal Riku, back to Radiant Gardens, now."

It opens and I step through without another word. We reappear in front of a cottage. "Where are we?"

"All I did was trace Sora and Roxas' energy."

Not thinking straight I nudge the door open with my foot and cross the threshold. They all are sitting around a table when their gazes turn onto me. Leon is to his feet and taking Reno from my arms in no time. I follow the brunet to a back room where he lies my brother on a bed. "Just let him rest. I'll get Aerith over here to perform some spells." I take a seat on the edge of the bed and move stray strands out of his face. "He'll be alright Axel."

Leon leaves to go retrieve this Aerith person and Riku enters. "You didn't say that you had a brother."

"I didn't say a lot. My other life...part of it was a mistake. I was Saïx's lapdog and Reno tried to get me out of it. I was an idiot who thought he was in love. I...was easily breakable."

"He couldn't stop you Axel. Nothing can stop you anymore."

"Stop it Riku. I don't want to play your games anymore. I love you but it's killing me."

Riku reaches out to me but I quickly stand up before he can. The room tilts and it takes me a second to realize it's me and not the room.

Stupid blood loss. That's what I get for wanting to have a heart again. Now I have to worry about losing all this plasma.

My knees hit the floor just as a woman dressed in pink, with soft chocolate hair tied back in a braid with a ribbon, and the gentlest green eyes I've ever seen, enters. Her mouth moves but I don't hear a thing. I feel the warm sensation of light flowing through me before I fall the rest of the way to the ground.

Beside me I hear Leon talking to Riku. "I'll take him to another room. He just needs to rest."

^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^

Fingertips caress my cheek before leaving to brush away stray strands of crimson. I struggle to open my eyes and can't help but smile up at him. I push myself up onto my elbows so that I can receive the much needed hug. "I'm glad you're okay yo! I was worried about you."

"Me? You were the one who got pelted with his weapon. What would make me worse off?"

Reno pulls away and his eyes shift toward the door before resting back on me. "Riku...he walked off after I woke up. He looked like he'd seen his maker for sure."

"I don't care."

"Yes you do. You're a good liar but not when it comes down to the bottom of it. You'd better go before someone can't tell you where he's gone off to."

I throw my legs over the lip of the bed and dart out of the room. Not sure of where I am exactly I skid around a corner and barely miss smacking into Cloud. "Hey where'd Riku go off to?"

"The cliff overlooking the castle."

"Thanks!" I yell back at him as I swing around him and rush out the door.

I have no idea where I'm going. My feet seem to know though. I'll have to believe that I can get there without getting completely lost. Riku wouldn't think of just leaving. He could never walk away from something...but that also doesn't mean that he won't.

I exhale a breath of relief at the sight of him standing on the edge while the wind whips at him gently. Coming to stand behind him I wrap my arms around him.

No matter how many times I say to stop or leave I can never mean it. But I need an answer and I'm going to get it now.

I rest my chin on his shoulder so that my lips graze his neck, "Only you could break me Riku...so tell me my silveret, do you love me as much as I love you?"

"Axel...I..."