Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Were You a Dream? ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Were You a Dream?
Chapter 3

^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^

Walking back out of the airport with all my hope diminished I force myself not to think about my next move in this game. Just as I get to the lip of the sidewalk a crimson mustang halts in front of me. The passenger window rolls down to reveal the man from earlier. "Hey little dude, need a ride?"

I raise an eyebrow at the guy, "Thank you for what you did but I don't think so."

Turning to walk away he leans toward me. "Well that sucks. Riku told me to pick you up. He said that he couldn't make it to the airport."

"How do I know that you're telling the truth?"

"Reimei. You two are in love. Your friend isn't exactly thrilled about it and you're trying to go on a get away to escape it."

For looking like a madman he's extremely smart...or Riku told him.

"You gonna get in? I think your friend is coming."

Indeed as I spare an eye down the sidewalk I spot his man of blood-red spikes bobbing through the thinning crowd. I don't say a word. Instead I lift the handle and slide onto the inky material. Revving the engine, my helper sends us into drive just as Axel gets close enough.

Nearing the edge of the city I turn to him, "Who are you?"

"Braig but anyone that knows me calls me Xigbar."

"Why?"

A soft laugh escapes him, making him seem less threatening. "My full name is Braig Xig Marcus. Lame name I know. So I put the first ones together and got Xigbar, cool huh?"

Rearranging the letters in my head I point out one obvious fact. "You switched the R and a."

Another laugh, "Well Xigbar sounds better than Xigbra. Don't you think little dude?"

"My name's Zexion."

"Nah, I like little dude." Cringing I know that he'll never give it up now. "Anyway you'll be staying with me for the day okie dokie?"

"Where will Riku be?" Something isn't adding up here.

Xigbar keeps his gaze fixed on the street as he skids around another corner and into a wealthy neighborhood. "Getting plans set so you two and skid addle."

He shuts the car off in the driveway of a decent sized house. Not as enormous as the mansion along the street but it's still large enough to rival a family home. Standing beside the lanky man as he unlocks the door I can't help but feel nauseated.

Riku's not telling me something. I know it. But does Xigbar know? If he does I need a way to get him to tell me.

I follow Xigbar into the entryway where he hangs his coat. Flashing a grin he walks off towards a staircase. Stepping onto the first landing he stops me. "I got a boyfriend and he doesn't know about you just yet. Be prepared little dude."

What in the world could he mean by that?

"Hey babe come meet our guest! He'll be staying with us for a tiny bit."

Feet apparently hit the floor hard from a room at the far end of the left corridor. A door flies open and in its wake appears a twenty-one year old boy. His sparkling, childish baby blue eyes throw off his apparent physique, some muscle and probably fairly strong. A flaxen mane is styled in such a peculiar way that I'm not sure whether to classify it as a Mohawk or a mullet...a crossbreed as it seems. Wearing faded jeans and a band shirt with the name of it angled down the middle of it. Bounding down the strip of carpet overlaying the polished tile, he skids to a stop in front of me. A smile that could even a blind man could see flashes at me. "So you're the guest? What's your name? How does Xiggy know you? Why are you here?"

I take a deep breath, trying to prepare myself for this new and improved energizer bunny replica. "Yes my name is Zexion. I'm...Riku's boyfriend."

The boy's eyes enlarge to the size of dinner plates. "Oh! Hmm...okay can I call you Zexy?"

"Because it's so much easier to say! Duh! You can call me Demmy, Dem, Dem-Dem, my real name's Demyx. So anything will do really."

Xigbar wraps an arm around the blonde's thin waist and yanks him into his side. "Now Dem relax. Little dude here is gonna be with us for a couple days. Riku's trying to straighten things out."

I jump on the first tease of information. "Straighten what out?" The elder man visibly tenses at my direct question. I'm determined to find some sort of answers in his web of sneaking around to avoid telling me the truth. That's when I smirk inside to myself. "Oh that's right, never mind, I remember now."

Shoulders slack and a grin squirms its way back onto his face. "Well that's good to hear. Glad you remembered why we got to keep you a secret. If those people find out Riku has someone else close to him, they'll kill you."

"Which is why we're leaving." I say, playing it completely by ear.

"Kind of ironic actually. All he did was ask a favor of this guy that happened to be apart of this thing and now he's being blackmailed in a way."

Demyx nods enthusiastically, "Yup all because he wanted to find you Zexy!"

Me? Riku's going to risk our lives all because he wanted to find...me? So then there is for certain several queries I need to speak with Riku about.

"Here I'll show you to your room. Xiggy, you go ahead and fix some food." Demyx takes my hand and begins pulling me down the right wing while Xigbar goes back to the first floor. A few doors down is a room with few additions; bed, dresser, table, lamp, un-plugged clock, closet, bathroom. The rich black carpet has deep purple swirling throughout it and the walls are identical, making it look as though it's just a space of color confined in a box with objects floating inside. Heavy curtains graze the floor in a soft violet fabric. "You like it don't you! I knew you would!" I simply nod and he releases his grip on me. "Well, I'll come and get you when dinner is ready."

Demyx disappears from my side and moves to somewhere else in the house. Most likely to help Xigbar cook. Dropping my bag on the bedside table I lie down on the perfectly made bed. Staring up at the equally creative ceiling I sigh a breath of relief.

These people won't hurt me. Not unless I betray them first. I know that deep down in my stomach. Riku...on the other hand isn't telling me everything. Not like it's not like him. It's aggravating. How in the world can I assist him if I know nothing of the circumstance? Confounded...

^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^

How long was I asleep? What's going on? Why hadn't Demyx woke me yet?

Frazzled I scoot off of the cozy material calling to me to come and lay back down. I inch to the door where another loud bang is heard from below. "Get your hands off of him!"

Xigbar? Who could he be yelling at?

The turmoil downstairs piques my interest. Taking a step back I sling my bag over my shoulders in a way that resembles a backpack and also a way that it won't be disappearing any time soon. Not daring to open the door further, I squeeze out through the gap and peek over the railing.

A burly man with short silver spikes clad in leather restrains Xigbar single handedly. Beside him a lanky yet muscular man in a similar attire with long lunar tresses aims a long-barreled gun at Xigbar's left temple, with his finger resting lightly on the trigger. Completely the trio, apparently the leader of the three, is a short, slim figure pressing a knife sturdily against Demyx's throat. A triple set of toxic green eyes glare unflinching at the distressed blonde.

The shortest of them that wields the knife snarls at Demyx, "We know that he's here so tell us where he is and you'll live. If not we'll give your boyfriend another scar to remember us by."

Xigbar wrestles to get an appendage free but the man may be shorter but he is stronger. "No Dem don't you say a word!" His single eye turns to that of the captor. "Kadaj if you disturb one hair on his head I'll shoot you full of holes!"

"I...I...don't know what you're talking about..." he says in an almost inaudible whisper.

Kadaj tosses Demyx towards the stairs. He catches himself so that no bones break against the hard wood. Blue oceans meet steel gray. I perform a small motion for him to begin slowly crawling toward me to the next landing. To the left all attention is on the elder of us as Demyx takes baby steps up to me. Kadaj saunters over to stand in front of Xigbar.
"Father has many connections. We overheard Riku and your little talk earlier. I suggest you tell us exactly where you've hidden him. That or we'll take Demyx back to the castle where he'll be prosecuted in high treason and you can watch him die all because you refuse to say a single sentence."

Complete horror etches itself on his forlorn countenance. Xigbar spares not a glance toward his lover as he reaches me at the overlooking balcony. Grabbing Demyx's elbow I whisper to him, "Where can we escape?"

"Just follow me."

Creeping to the two's shared room, Demyx unlatches a window and begins to crawl out of it. About to take my turn I realize that the ladder decoration on the side of the house is a perfect get away. Just as my feet touch the ground the sound of pounding footsteps on the second floor signals that they've given up and are going to tear every part of the house apart to find what they're looking for. Nonetheless Demyx yanks on my wrist as he sprints to the garage. Pressing the button the door opens soundlessly and I'm led to a sleek navy shaded Volvo. I move automatically to the passenger side and buckle myself in as Demyx starts the engine. Surely this has attracted their attention.

It doesn't matter. By the time we're rounding the first corner they've just exited the house in a enraged fury.