Kuroshitsuji Fan Fiction ❯ Surface ❯ Convoluted Series Of Events ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
There was music...turning and dripping in the quiet air.

Winding it's away across beams and around polls and people to claw its way into someones ear.

Glassy eyed dolls sat hunched around like trees of a forest.

Foreboding feelings glinted off of black eyes.

Feet made no noise as they passed along sweet grass.

Before …..they sunk into mud.

Mud so foul, a mix of dirt, blood and tears.

A crack echoed and something glimmered like a jewel in a creek.

-------------------------------------------

This was becoming all too common, Ciel thought upon waking.

He had hoped that a new beginning in a new country and a new house would be beneficial to his psyche. It was not, if by anything judging by the crescent moon shaped fingernail impressions he had left in his own palms.

The previous week had been...exhausting to say the least. Ciel found himself in New York, New York as a foreigner, and as someone who didn't entirely want to be in the 'Big Apple'. The movers and real estate manager that had been a occasional presence in the large New York loft always spoke of how lovely the city was.

There was no better place on earth! The proclaimed, regardless of having lived no place else.

Ciel's mother seemed in rapture by the stories of Ellis Island, being Irish herself the stories about the other poor Irish immigrants leaving and trying to find a new life in a odd place seemed to tear at her heart strings.

To Ciel however, this was all meaningless.

His new home was strange, though not entirely horrible truth be told. Though the first many nights he found it hard to sleep in such an alien environment...even if it was already decorated with all of his things from home in England.

They were located in Manhattan in the Upper West Side, not far from Central Park.

It was a lovely place truth be told, and cost a pretty penny. Not that their family didn't have much to spare.

It was an older part of New York and the sites were plenty, and nothing less than amazing on a good day.

However, Ciel did not have many good days. In fact, he was rather anti-good day most of the time.

And today was going to be one of the worst.

School starts today.

He would be beginning school at the very highly proclaimed Anderson School, not more than a few blocks away. It was expensive, and very difficult to get into. But, his family was rich. And with money, all things are made possible.

He would be entering grade 8 halfway through the year to finish up his schooling, before moving to another prestigious high school.

It wasn't long before he was dressed...not in a uniform, which was strange to him, but still well to do clothes. He was ushered down, and into their drivers car.

Ciel began wondering if the upper class of New York was as likely to beat up the short know-it all British boy, as the lower class.

Something told him, yes.

-------------------------------------------------------
< br> Sebastian was standing in-front of Ciel Phantomhive's tombstone.

It was in the middle of where the former Phantomhive estate property had once stood.

The wind blew through his inky black hair, and for a moment he thought he had heard the laugher and rokus that had once come from it being carried in the wind.

'How stupid.' He thought, his eyes glancing up to where the Manner had been. Nothing stood there now, the wildlife had taken back the area. There would have been marble and stone left, but it had been recovered after the Blitz by near by people, to help rebuild London.

All's that was left was a green landscape dotted with white, pink and purple wildflowers. And these few tombstones.

It appeared one of the servants must have carved 'Ciel P.' into his stone, as it had once been unmarked when he had left it.

The servants graves were next. They had no need to be buried here, but the connection they had to the area must have prompted them to want to be buried in such a location.

Bard was first to pass, as he was oldest and smoked with a passion. Maylene died in childbirth apparently, and her child was left motherless and was put into an orphanage. He didn't survive WWII. Finny was last, and had his tombstone next to Pluto's. He passed a moderately old age, finally sub-coming to the various experiments on his body as a youth.

"I dug all of these peoples graves...quite sad isn't it? Mr. Demon Sir."

Sebastian didn't acknowledge this. Undertaker was a number of feet behind him.

"I don't feel such things, not towards humans. Would a human pity a bug?"

"Some do...Some do..." An eerie giggle came from the silver haired death gods mouth.

"I. Do. Not. That is the difference." Sebastian turned to shoot the other man a blazing glare.

"Hmmmm...If you didn't, why are we here?"

Sebastian's eyes hardened.

"To see if anyone had frequented these graves in the time I have not been here." He shot back, expertly.

Undertaker took a few steps closer, shaking his head. Hair moving in the wind, along with the rags and torn cloth that made up his gothic appearance.

His voice was darker than it had been.

"No. I mean, Why. Are. We. Here. Demon? Your contract was completed. It is no longer your worry if the boy's book has reopened. It is no longer your issue, Demon. Nor is Sebastian still your name, yet you still carry it proudly. You claim you feel nothing towards the beings you view as nothing but worms and insects, yet you keep the name of a dog. A mongrel pet of a human."

Sebastian's eyes flared, his composure was faltering.

"The question is..."

He reached his gloved hand out, and wrapped it around the death god's throat.

"...Are you still the pet of a human?"

He froze. Red eyes widened.

It was true, on some level. He was still bound to long dead humans.

Could he really pretend to himself that he wasn't here at least on some level due to some sort of empathy...some sort of regret?

Sadness?

Longing?

Disgusting.

" I'm returning to New York, and I will be making a new contract. Farewell, Death God."

Sebastian removed his hand in a flash, ignoring the smirk on Undertakers pale and stitched face.

"I hope I will never see you again in the eternity to come."

He was gone in a flash.

Undertaker just stood there, waving good-bye.

'Do you really think it'll be that easy?'

----------------------------------------------------------- --

"Young Sir?"

Alois was in the middle of buttoning up his shirt, and turned to look at Claude a few feet away. It was rare for Alois to dress himself. But the boy had been acting strange ever since meeting the boy called 'Ciel' on the plane..or so he claimed.

"Hm?"

"If I may say...you've been acting...are you feeling well?"

Alois paused on a button. And nodded.

"Claude, can I ask you a few things?" His head was hanging down, eyes not looking at anything.

"Yes, of course, young sir."

"Why did you all come to me?"

Claude froze. This had never been addressed, and he figured the blonde was too insane to really process anything like it.

"...I..-"

"..You all just appeared, like magic. And you don't ask for pay, and I know you haven't been doing anything suspect behind my back...besides the whispers..."

"...I can't say." Claude said softly, but firmly. There was too much the boy could get involved in, that need not be meddled with ….someday maybe...but not now. There was just too very much.

"...Alright...can you answer me one more thing though Claude?"

Alois had finished dressing, and walked slowly over to where Claude was standing in the doorway.

Light blue eyes found his own.

"Do you hate me, Claude?"

Words escaped him. He had many feelings towards Alois of the past, and very few were good. This Alois, was different...but was a reminder enough of the needy blonde who clawed at his side every moment desperately seeking approval …...

"Yes."

Alois just seemed to pause for a moment, and tilted his head in as though in thought.

"All right. I'm leaving for school now. I want steak for dinner. Goodbye."

And that was it, the boy passed him by and before the demon really had time to realize what had happened, the front door had opened and closed.

---------------------------------------------

The re was a crash of two people, who weren't looking where they were going. Books and belongings toppled to the sidewalk. People all around them just passed by without noticing. New York was a busy place after all.

"Oiya, what where you're going- HOLY NAKED MEN, YOU'RE HIM!"

Grell Sutcliffe was easily excitable in many many ways, not all entirely PG. But at this moment, it was well worth the exclamation.

He had just ran straight into a teenager. One who was supposed to be dead. One that would be of GREAT interest to Sebastian...Maybe he'd even get a kiss or two or eight in thanks?

His mouth curled into a toothy smile, and his eyes locked onto the shocked, teary blue eyes of the youth in front of him.

"Alois Trancy..."

-------------------------------------------------
< br> "So, how much do your parents make?"

It was the third time Ciel had been asked this since lunch started.

True, he had not had his...lunch money stolen or something like that. There had been no one one pushing him into lockers or beating in his face.

He had underestimated New York's upper class youth though apparently. He turned to look at the two young men and the young woman looking at him a bit down their noses.

"Enough to live in New York and Montreal comfortably...Not to mention getting into a school that wasn't accepting new students..."

Ciel said quietly, voice hard. If his body language appeared bored and uncaring, it was because he was in-fact bored and uncaring.

"My family has three houses. And is going to by me a Bentley for my 16th birthday." The girl shot at him.

So top dog was the richest dog? Fine, he could play this game.

"Your father isn't required to pay the taxes a Englishman is...if he pays taxes at all. Your point is moot."

Ciel allowed himself a smirk at this, he rested his chin on his right palm and flicked a piece of hair out of his face. Inwardly he was a bit disgusted over this. Three homes? Granted he wasn't far behind with a million dollar plus Upper West Side loft, and then his fathers comfy studio in Montreal. Ciel was no stranger to greed and childlike wanting anything that tickled his fancy.

These people simply annoyed him.

The two boys that had been following the conversation closely behind the girl, seemed to exchange glances.

"..That's true. That's pretty fab, where all have you been to in Europe? My family spends every summer in Spain." One of the boys said.

Ciel paused, he wanted to say he had been to numerous countries...and it'd be true. However he didn't want to get overly involved with this bragging rights competition.

"Enough of them...Excuse me for a moment will you?"

He grabbed up his lunch, and headed out to the balcony.

Ah, this was better, he thought. It was a lovely day out; Not too hot and not too cold, and a soft sweet scent from Central Park drifted up rather than the general smell of New York.

He fixed his eyes down on Central Park, it was much like it had been every day he'd been in New York this week. Green, with numerous individuals moving about it. A miniature forest inside one of the biggest and most bustling cities of the world.

A large crow landed in one of the trees.

'No', Ciel corrected, 'a Raven.'

'Huh, how rare, ravens aren't common in these parts...'

This was Ciel's last thought, before someone landed on the guardrail in front of him.

Ciel fell backwards in shock, mouth open in mild horror.

This person was standing completely at ease on the side on a guardrail. They were 4 stories up, and this...person...landed on it.

Where on earth had he come from?

The figure infront of him pushed a lock of dark hair out of his face and adjusted his glasses.

"Ciel Phantomhive."

Ciel's body jerked back into action at that, he skittered to his feet and tried to make it to the door.

A long weapon of sorts was shoved into the door in front of him, millimeters away from skewering his hand.

He turned shakily, knowing he must looked like a spooked deer in headlights.

"Wh-who are you...How do you know that name..?"

"My name is William T. Spears. I am a Death God, and you... shouldn't exist."

- See you next time.
Converting /tmp/phpKjxaN4 to /dev/stdout