Liberty's Kids Fan Fiction ❯ LIBERTY'S KIDS: Into the Future, and Into Space ❯ Serious Training: The boy and the Brunette! ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER EIGHT
 
 
“You can't be serious…” asked Rhapsody, “Sending them into Space? Have you and the General gone mad!”
 
 
“Rhapsody Angel… may I remind you how to talk to your Commanding Officer!” I said.
 
“I too thought of it the same when General. Gray had told me it was our best and only option.”
 
“But Captain…” said Elizabeth, “We're not sure we're ready to head into the unknown.”
 
“I agree…” Added Moses, “We barely just got accustomed to this Time and Age, but going… up there…?!”
 
“There's still so much we have to learn. So much to do.” Added Sarah.
 
“My Grandfather is in Danger.” I said, “All I wish to do, is go out there and save him, but I cannot do it alone!”
 
They all began to see what I was talking about.
 
“I've been in many dangers before, and my Grandfather was always there to save me, but I can only call myself a true Astronaut if I'm willing to do the same.”
 
“Now are you all with me…?”
 
The past people all shared looks of concern with each other, James saluted, followed by Sarah, Henri… and all the rest of them.
 
“We're with you all the way, Captain.” Said Samuel.
 
I smiled and saluted with them. “Alright, lets get Solar two ready, I want to lift off in one week from today.”
 
“Until then… we're going to have to change your study periods. From now on, you'll hit the books the first two hours, and then Heavy Astronaut Training for the rest of the time.”
 
The all saluted, even though they knew they weren't going to like this.
 
 
Over the past week, they did get harder at work than ever before. They could barely keep up with it.
 
Especially all the exorcizing and warm ups I made them do for their Spacesuit, and Space-Walk Training, and to keep their strengths at fit point.
 
Sarah and her Mother were even amazed at their new found muscles they never thought they had.
 
The Spacesuits themselves, were nothing like Spacesuits that Man wore on the Moon.
 
They looked more like silvery shiny snowsuits. Each one had a different colored jacket that held the helmets in place.
 
-The hours approaching, just give it your best
You got to reach your prime.
That's when you need to put yourself to the test,
And show us a passage of time,
Were going to need a montage (montage)
Oh it takes a montage (montage)
 
Next came simulations, most of which were for Henri. I had assigned him to be navigator.
 
See… the Space Shuttle was going to be our main departure from Earth, but it wasn't going to be our vessel for the voyage to Mars.
 
That job was for a different ship awaiting in dock at the World Space Station, orbiting the Earth.
 
In their studies, they had learned that it would normally Take six months just to reach Mars, because it was so very, very far away from Earth.
 
But this Ship, that was given the name STINGRAY, was larger, stronger and faster than the Shuttle, and could get us to Mars in exactly one Week, provided nothing went wrong.
 
 
-Sure a lot of things happing at once,
With mind, everyone what's going on (what's going on?)
And when every shot you show a little improvement
Just Show it or it will take to long
That's called a montage (montage)
Oh we want montage (montage)
 
Samuel, as he was a Major, was second in command to me on the voyage, but he was also going to be the leader of the assault forces if we needed to go into battle.
 
Elizabeth, Well she was assigned two jobs, One was helping our doctor in the Medical Quarters as a nurse.
 
The second was too help Sarah watch over the power lines, and make sure communications stayed active.
 
And anything that we want to know, from just a beginner to a pro,
You want a montage(montage)
even rocky had a montage (montage)
(Montage…montage)
 
Moses would be in charge of the Engine room, and boy, he couldn't wait to get started.
 
Finally, James was our Science specialist, to confirm all the strange things were may come across in Space.
 
Anything that we want to know,
from just a beginner to a pro,
You need a montage (montage)
Oh it takes a montage (montage)
 
Space walking seemed to be rather difficult for them. Learning how to control their movements without going all over the place.
 
Wearing a Diaper if they needed to answer Nature's call in Space, but easily… what frightened them the most… was a special movie called Mission to Mars that I showed them.
 
I picked one special scene to show them what can happen if you take your Helmet off, or any other parts of your suit if your in space.
 
There is no air, Space is like a giant Suction unit, and it's more than Fifty thousand Degrees below Zero up there.
 
If you take off your suit… who knows what's likely to happen to you. So they kept on Training and Training right up to our final night.
 
Always fade out in a montage,
Montage
If you fade out, it seem like more time
Has passed in a montage,
Montage
 
Launch was scheduled for 8:00 am tomorrow morning, and every had finished all their packing for the EXTREMELY long voyage.
 
I was sitting in the main Ops fingering my Rock shaped half heart, I was thinking about her again.
 
“Captain… are alright?” asked Elizabeth, but she could read me like a book, “You're thinking about her again?”
 
I turned an nodded… “I suppose I should tell you everything.” I said. Elizabeth smiled and joined me up at the window.
 
 
When I was Eight, it was my very first year at Space Camp. I was feeling rather shy because I didn't know anybody there.
 
 
A lot of the other kids were some from my old elementary school, who made fun of me because I had no parents.
 
One day, while I was on duty of washing lunch trays, and taking them in as they came through the door… I heard I young girl cry out. “Oh no… my hair clip…!!”
 
That… that voice. It sounded so beautiful. I wanted to see who it was, but since I wasn't allowed to leave the room, I passed her hair clip back to her through the hole...
 
“Oh… thank you Kind sir.” She said to me. I could tell from her voice, she must be British.
 
“Awe, it was nothing.” I said back to her. The girl giggled a little bit, but she didn't ever run off until I came up from my shift… that was when we first met Face-to-Face.
 
“It's a wild theory, Captain…” said Elizabeth, “But that girl sounded like she could have been Rhapsody.”
 
I shook my head, “No… it couldn't have been her.” I said, “Although she did look like her, and sound like her… the Girl I met was a young Brunette!”
 
She had long Brown hair… not Red hair.
 
She sure was pretty, and she thought I looked rather nice looking too. The only problem was, I couldn't ask for her real name.
 
At Space Camp, we were given codenames, and were to use them during on hours.
 
I was… Captain Scarlet!
 
And her name… was Lieutenant Rhapsody.
 
From that moment on, we kept on running into each other at lunch time, because boys had to stay on their own camp side, as well as the girls stay on their side.
 
Regardless, some of the kids were starting to make fun of us, and saying that we were in love or something.
 
I don't know why, but I almost believed them. I was growing fond of that young girl.
 
When it cam time to go home, and we knew we wouldn't see each other again… the young girl and I had been working on a project together.
 
We carved our first initials into a small rock that looked exactly like a heart, we then split the rock down the middle and kept the opposites initialed side of them heart.
 
This way, wherever we went, we knew we would always be with each other in spirit and amongst the stars.
 
 
“This little rock is all I have left.” I said, “Sure the `D' and `S' are Rhapsody's initials… DIANNE SIMMS But we first met in college… so it can't possibly be her.”
 
Elizabeth felt sorry for me, but I told her it was okay, I was used to being left out of things.
 
And Speaking of things, we had to get to bed… Launch was scheduled tomorrow at Eight am, that was only hours away.