Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Here I Am ❯ The Palace ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Here I Am

Chapter Six - The Palace

By Crow Skywalker

----------

Disclaimer - Don't own MKR or its characters. No profit is being made, only borrowing them for my own amusement.

Author's Notes - Blah. Don't like this chapter at all…I don't even like the title of it. I couldn't think of a title, and that was the only thing that came to me ^^; Chapter titles really have no meaning in this fic anyway, since I switch back and forth between Cephiro, Earth and the characters. I don't know why I even did chapter titles x_X But anyway, I want to say that I'm using OAV Clef for this fic, and there'll be more on that later. R&R, and I'll be seeing you tomorrow with the next chapter, hopefully ^_~

Warnings/Pairings - Rated PG, though I may up the rating later on. Pairings of Umi/Clef, Fuu/Ferio, and Hikaru/Lantis.

Summary - Umi wishes to return to Cephiro, and on a cold lonely night she gets sent back. However, things aren't what they seem, for a new evil is lurking not far away, and it has plans for Umi.

----------

He held on to the reins tightly as he galloped through the forest, making sure he had a tight grip on Umi so that she wouldn't fall. She was unconscious, or so he assumed. There was no way anyone could sleep while riding a horse, not at the speed he was going.

He looked down at her briefly, wondering if she was okay. She's pretty beat up…looks like she lost a lot of blood. She must be exhausted.

They broke through the trees and into a grassy field, the black stallion not once slowing its steady run until it reached the palace.

"Larfarga, is that you?" He could hear someone calling to him from inside the palace, and soon a dark tanned girl with pinkish hair appeared in the main entrance. Making her way down the many stairs, she was too busy talking to realize something was wrong. "You left so early this morning, and it wasn't until I found Ferio that he told me you had gone out for a ride…"

"Caldina." He interrupted her.

She stopped in front of him, and her eyes finally lowered to the girl in his arms. She blinked, staring at the familiar girl. "Who's that?"

"You mean you don't recognize her?" He asked with a smile, dropping down off his horse and taking Umi in his arms.

"She seems familiar," Caldina stated, studying the girl. She was tall, her skin was pale and her blue hair was a mess. On top of that, the girl seemed really beat up. A memory from long ago caused her to look again. Long blue hair? "…Umi?"

Larfarga nodded. "I found her in the forest."

"Is she all right?" Caldina asked in a concerned voice, not taking her eyes off the girl.

"I don't know." He answered truthfully. Besides the cuts and bruises on the outside, she could have had broken ribs or bones. "I was hoping Clef could tell us."

Caldina smiled, looking up at Larfarga with aqua eyes. "Clef will be pleased to know that she's returned." A small knowing smile made its way across her lips. "Come, bring her inside."

She started back up the steps and he followed close behind, careful not to move Umi too much.

Inside, the palace was quiet. It was still rather early and most people still weren't up yet, Ferio and Clef being an exception. Ferio, being a prince, had things to attend to, and Clef was usually always around to help him. So when they finally found Ferio in the library, they found Clef.

"Guru Clef!" Shouted Caldina, and both Ferio and Clef's head shot up from what they were doing. Both stared as Caldina came into the room, Larfarga in tow with something in his arms.

"What is it, Caldina?" Clef asked.

Caldina didn't bother to answer, just stepped out of Larfarga's way. He stepped foreword, and both Clef and Ferio gasped in surprise.

"Umi?" Ferio finally spoke, "But what is she doing here?"

There was only silence, because no one knew the answer to that question.

"This isn't possible," Clef finally spoke in a soft voice, his eyes never leaving her face, "There's no pillar to summon her here."

"Do you think…the others are here too?" Asked Ferio, thinking about how great it would be to finally see Fuu again.

"Where did you find her?" Clef came foreword, reaching out and brushing a strand of hair away from her face and he stared down at her.

"The forest just west of here." Larfarga informed him, "I think she was out there all night."

Caldina brought a hand up to her mouth. "You mean she was out there during the storm?" She shook her head, "Poor girl."

"She must have fell from the sky," Said Larfarga, shifting the girl slightly in his arms. "There's no way she could have gotten this hurt otherwise, unless she was attacked."

"Take her to her room," said Ferio, "She needs her rest in order to heal."

Larfarga nodded, leaving the room to take Umi to where she had last stayed when she was last in Cephiro.

"Is there anything I can do?" Caldina asked.

"Watch over her," He instructed her before turning to Clef, who had a somewhat dazed expression on his face. "Clef? We may need you healing abilities."

Clef snapped out of his thoughts, nodding. "I'll do what I can."

Ferio offered them both a small smile. "In the meantime, I'll try to find out what's going on. Come get me as soon as she wakes up."

Both of them gave a small bow before leaving the room. Outside, the halls were still eerily quiet and empty and the only sounds were their footsteps as they walked.

Caldina, who was walking beside the taller man, looked at him out of the corner of her eye.

"So Guru," She started, "Mind telling me what you were thinking back there? You were awfully out of it."

"I really don't think that's any of your business, Caldina." He stated, not looking at her.

"Oh come on, Clef," She swatted his arm playfully, "You can tell me. I know your little secret."

He finally looked at her then, a confused look on his face. "What secret?"

"You like her!" She grinned, "I can tell! You always did!"

"What are you talking about, Caldina?" He asked, once more looking away, "Have you finally lost it?"

She laughed then, and it echoed through the empty halls. "Oh Clef, you really are in denial, aren't you?"

"I'll admit I'm worried about her," He said, "But whatever you think I feel, I don't."

"Then why were you so miserable when she left?" Caldina pointed out with a knowing smirk.

Clef shot her an annoyed look. "Can we please change the subject?"

"Fine, fine…" She rolled her eyes, "Whatever you say."

Silence fell between them as they walked, but Caldina broke it with a sly grin, "I bet Ascot will be happy to see her."

Any emotion or movement she expected out of him didn't come, for they had arrived at Umi's room. They found Umi lying in bed, the sheets pulled up so that her arms were exposed and draped on top of the covers. Larfarga had taken the liberty of closing the curtains that lead to the balcony so that the room was darkened.

"Still no sign of her waking up?" Clef asked, brushing off what Caldina had just said. She obviously didn't know what she was talking about - he was Master Mage of Cephiro - he had no time for some silly crush. And yes, maybe he had been a bit down when the Knights had left…

But that was because I was under a lot of stress, trying to get Cephiro back on its feet, he told himself.

Larfarga shook his head. "Hasn't moved since I found her."

I'm surprised she's even alive, sighed Clef, leaning in to check her pulse. It was beating at a normal rate. Who knows how long she was out in the forest by herself?

He raised a hand over her then, closing his eyes in concentration. In order for him to be able to help her, he had to find out what was wrong with her to begin with. A white light started to glow in his hand, flashing briefly before going out.

Caldina, who had been standing quietly while Clef scanned Umi for injuries, finally asked, "So, what's wrong with her?"

"Well, she got a nasty knock on the head from somewhere, I guess it was due to the fall," He informed them, "A few broken ribs, a few cuts and a gash in her side. Besides that, she's fine."

Caldina looked relieved. "That's good to know. So she'll be waking up any time now?"

Clef nodded. "She just needs to rest. I can fix the broken ribs with magic, but some of the other things may take a while to heal." He sighed, looking down at the sleeping girl, "Fetch Ascot and Primera. I may need their help."

"We'll go get them." Said Caldina, taking Larfarga's hand and leading him out of the room.

They disappeared into the hall, closing the door gently behind them.

To Be Continued…