Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Here I Am ❯ Truth or Lies ( Chapter 15 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Here I AmChapter Fifteen - Truth or Lies

By Crow Skywalker

----------

Disclaimer - Don't own MKR or its characters. No profit is being made, only borrowing them for my own amusement.

Author's Notes - Long time no see, huh? When *was* the last time I updated? O_o *can't remember* ^^; But anyway, sorry for the delay. Been busy with school, since I started on Wednesday. That, and I wasn't sure how to go about this chapter. Writer's block…yay. So this chapter sucks ass, sorry if it wasn't what you expected, lol. Anyway, I want to thank all my reviewers - the more reviews I get, the more I write, so this chapter's out because of you :) So keep on R&R'ing, and enjoy the fic! ^^

Warnings/Pairings - Rated PG, though I may up the rating later on. Pairings of Umi/Clef, Fuu/Ferio, and Hikaru/Lantis/Eagle.

Summary - Umi wishes to return to Cephiro, and on a cold lonely night she gets sent back. However, things aren't what they seem, for a new evil is lurking not far away, and it has plans for Umi.

----------

"Eagle??"

Eagle's eyebrows raised, and he looked at her in confusion. This girl, who he had thought familiar earlier, knew his name? But he certainly didn't remember her's…so how did she know him? Was it possible he had thought right before, that the Magic Knights were the key to his past? He stepped forward, looking at the young girl through the bars of the cell.

"H-How do you know my name?" He questioned.

The blue haired girl sat silently, studying him. It can't be him…Eagle's dead! She tried to tell herself, but whenever she looked into his golden eyes she could tell it was him. It really was Eagle, although there was something strange about him. Why would he ask such a question? Didn't he remember they had met during the last time the Magic Knights had been called to Cephiro?

"Eagle Vision," She swallowed, "Don't you remember we met a few years ago?" She stopped for a moment, but there was no sign of remembrance. "You were from Autozam…you came to Cephiro to learn about the Pillar System…" She trailed off, finally stopping.

Eagle…Vision? Is that my last name? He was looking away now, trying to remember anything, anything at all. Autozam..Autozam is a country near Cephiro. Is that where I came from…is that where I was born? He looked back at the girl, who was giving him a strange look.

"You don't remember?" She asked.

He looked away. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Umi's head was spinning, and not from the pain. This is all so…crazy! Somehow Eagle is alive, and he doesn't remember a thing! He does even remember…"Hikaru!"

Eagle frowned, looking back at the girl. He gave her a questioning look.

"Hikaru," She started to explain, "You couldn't have forgotten her!" She was on her hands and knees now, crawling across the floor to the bars despite the pain it caused her. She grabbed the bars once she reached them, sitting up on her knees. "You couldn't have…"

Hikaru? Eagle bit his lip, trying to remember. He suddenly thought of the red headed girl that had caught his attention at the palace. Had that been her? Was that who the girl before him was talking about? He shook his head, growing frustrated with himself. Obviously the girl knew him, but he couldn't remember a thing she was talking about!

"Eagle?" She asked in a quiet voice, "You've forgotten her?"

"Eagle!" Came a voice, and Eagle's attention snapped to the only door to the dungeons. Alcione stood there, leaning against the doorway with a hand to her waist.

"Alcione." He acknowledged her with a scowl.

"Don't converse with the enemy." She snapped, "You know what our Lord told you - she'll fill your head with lies. She'll do and say anything to get out."

Alcione…Umi looked from Alcione to Eagle, her eyes wide. "You're working for the enemy?"

Eagle looked back down at the blue haired girl, and ignored her last question. Although I hate to admit it, Alcione's right…she's most likely making stuff up so I'll take pity on her and let her out. He mentally kicked himself for talking to a prisoner - he knew better than that. But there was something so believable about what she was talking about…

"Is that all you wanted to say?" He asked darkly, looking at Alcione out of the corner of his eye, "Or do you actually have something important to say?"

Umi watched in horror. Eagle and Alcione working together, and who knows whom else! She glared at the white haired man through the bars. "I can't believe you'd sink so low, Eagle."

Eagle looked down at the girl, and opened his mouth to say something, but was interrupted by Alcione.

"Shut up, Magic Knight." She hissed, "Stop telling him lies! He is not who you think he is!"

"I'm not lying!" She insisted, looking into Eagle's golden eyes, "And you are the Eagle I once knew! You just don't remember!" She looked at Alcione, her eyes darkening, "Who did this? Who took his memories away and turned him against us?"

"I know nothing of what you talk about." Alcione smirked.

"You're lying!" Umi growled, and looked back to Eagle, "Eagle, you have to remember something! You came to Cephiro to see the Pillar…to become the new Pillar and help Autozam! You and Hikaru…you both tried, and Hikaru ended up being the Pillar in the end. You..you died saving Lantis…please remember!"

"Fool!" Alcione spat, taking heavy strides towards Umi, "Don't fill his head with such lies!"

Eagle stood silently, watching the two women. He wasn't sure which one to believe…and he didn't remember a thing about what the blue haired girl had just said. Was she really making it up? He didn't know. Or maybe Alcione was the one lying.

"Stop it, both of you." He shook his head, frustrated.

Alcione scowled. "Don't tell me what to do."

Eagle sighed. "Why are you here anyway? You never did answer that question."

"Our Lord wishes to see us, all of us." She told him, casting a sideways glance at Umi, careful to keep all details from the girl.

Umi sat back and watched, her hands clenching the bars so tight her hands were turning white. She continued to glare at the two, before her gaze dropped and she stared at the cold stone floor she was sitting on. This isn't possible…this must be some kind of nightmare! She let go of the bars, allowing her hands to fall to her knees. Eagle's alive…working for the enemy…Alcione's alive…I'm stuck in some sort of dungeon…

"Our Lord is awaiting us," Said Alcione, and Umi looked back up as she turned to leave, "Be late and suffer the consequences."

Eagle watched her retreating back, taking a few steps after her before lowering his head and following her with a steady stride. Umi gripped the bars again, her face between the bars as she watched them leave.

"Eagle!" She called after them, "Wait!"

He hesitated only a moment before he disappeared out the door and into the darkness, the door slamming shut behind him.

-----

It was dark when she awoke, the candle on the bed stand having long gone out. Moonlight shone in through the closed balcony windows, casting dim light into the room, and causing shadows on the walls.

Hikaru yawned, rolling over. She was surprised when she saw someone asleep next to her. Sitting up, she could tell it was Fuu.

What time is it? She wondered, I must have fallen asleep…

She closed her eyes, trying to return to dreamland where there were no worries, but memories of real life started to return to her. She sighed, getting up and making her way towards the door. Perhaps if she went for a small walk, by the time she returned to her own room she would be tired enough to go back to sleep.

The hall was deathly silent, and the candles on the wall had gone out. The only light came from the few windows, which wasn't much. Hikaru had to carefully watch where she was going, but she managed to find herself out in the gardens.

The gardens were just as quiet as the palace, although the sound of water could be heard from the fountain in the middle of the gardens. A few guards were standing at the entrance and exit, but they paid no attention to the Magic Knight. They were busily keeping a lookout for intruders, and trying to stay awake.

Hikaru stepped past them, nodding slightly when they glanced at her. The grass was cool and damp beneath her feet, but she paid no attention to it as she walked through the paths surrounded by rose bushes and other flowers.

The garden's so beautiful at night, she smiled, looking up at the clear sky. Stars shimmered and twinkled above, and she sat down on a stone seat to look at them. The calmness and silence…it was very relaxing, and helped clear her mind. She leaned back on the chair, which was big enough for two or three people and didn't have any backs or sides, and continued to stare up at the sky.

"It's so peaceful out here," She breathed, closing her eyes. She jumped when someone answered her.

"Yes, it is. That's why I come out here late at night to think."

Hikaru sat up, looking at Clef as he sat down nearby, looking up at the sky as she had just done. "Clef?"

He raised his hand, shaking his head. "I'm sorry Hikaru…the locating spell couldn't find Umi." He told her, and her hopeful look disappeared, "But I'm going to try again very soon, when I regain my strength."

She nodded, taking this info in. The others would be as disappointed as she was, but at least Clef was trying. Hikaru lay back down, and silence fell between them. It wasn't lifted until Hikaru asked:

"Clef? Do you think…wherever Umi is, she's looking up at the same starry sky?" She asked in a small voice.

Clef looked at the red headed girl, and lowered his gaze. "Somehow I doubt it."

Hikaru shook her head slowly. "Why would someone do something like this?"

"It's all linked to why you've returned - the same person who cast that spell is after you." Answered Clef, "We just don't know who it is."

Hikaru clenched her hands together in a fist, "If I ever find out who kidnapped Umi.." She growled, and Clef smiled at her.

"Don't worry, they won't get away with it." He said.

The silence returned, and Hikaru yawned. She was growing tired.

"Perhaps it would be best if you returned to bed." Clef offered, "I'll get Lantis to escort you."

"Thanks." She murmured, her eyes finally closing as sleep took her. She awoke only briefly when she was lifted off the stone chair and into someone's arms, and knowing it was Lantis, she snuggled into his arms.

Clef watched as Lantis carried Hikaru back to the palace.

I swear, whoever it is, they won't get away with this. He looked up to the night sky. Umi…

To Be Continued…