Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Magic Knight Rayearth: When Two Worlds Collide ❯ In the Forest it Begins ( Prologue )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A child-like figure stood very still, sweat was streaming down his face as he gazed upon his discovery. He wiped the sweat away with a trembling, green, tunic sleeved arm. He had never seen anything like this in all his nine years, and he had indeed seen many things. He had seen the monsters that once plagued his land, and he had seen it nearly crumble into oblivion, but he had never seen something such as this. It was like a small house, but with wheels and only seats. It had two doors on either side of it, and there was a wheel inside in what seemed to be the front. He could also see various compartments inside. He briefly wondered what was in there, but stopped when he took a second look at the "thing's" exterior. There were eyes on its front and back (or what he could only guess were them). Was this thing alive? He stumbled back in fright, too scared to run, thinking it might chase after him if he caused any sudden movement.

"Tag. You're it, Adam," a young, bright and cheerful female voice announced as she patted him on his head, causing his light brown hair to fall astray. "I never thought I'd be able to find you so far out in the forest."

"Shhhhh! Ally, be quiet," he hushed, motioning to the object in front of him.

She looked ahead of her, tearing blue eyes now set on it. Ally, unlike Adam, had not seen such things and was frightened right off the bat. "What is that? Adam, I'm scared."

"I don't know, Ally," Adam replied, "but we don't want to make it angry. We should try and leave here very slowly so we don't wake it up." He pointed to the front and rear. "See, it has eyes."

She gulped. "Shouldn't we tell some grownups?" she whispered as they turned their backs on it, pacing away ever so slowly.

"Yeah, but we shouldn't worry about that now. We need to get out of here," he said, speaking a little bit louder now, feeling they were at a safer distance. "Let's go!"

The two small figures ran with all their might. Adam, his gray eyes focused on reaching the town had taken the lead while Ally coughed and choked trying to keep up with him. "Wait!" she called to him as she struggled to keep up, but he couldn't hear her. Within two minutes the two were completely separated by the vast, green forest, and Ally was nowhere to be seen.

When Adam had finally reached his village, a tiny town with little shops and wooden houses, he was completely out of breath. "In the forest… there's something in there…" he told the village elder, a tall white haired man with deep blue-green eyes holding a staff.

"What do you mean, my boy?" asked the elder with genuine concern.

"Well…" he began after he had caught his breath, but no sooner than that word left his mouth, was interrupted by a concerned woman.

"Where is Ally?" asked the woman, Ally's mother, horror stricken across her face to find she was not with her playmate.

Adam turned around to find she wasn't there. "Ally… is gone! She was right behind me, I swear! That thing must have gotten her!"

The elder stomped his staff on the ground. "We must go into the forest! There is still a chance that we can find the girl. All men, arm your weapons. Adam, I'm relying on you to lead us there."

Adam nodded slowly, and was surprised at the elder's aggressiveness. "Yes, sir,"

"You!" he called to a slightly older boy who had been watching. "Go ring the alarm tower and tell the people of our ordeal. We must hurry."

"Yes, sir!" the boy exclaimed proudly as he ran away.

The elder looked around as people scurried around, hustling as the announcement echoed through the town. "I must contact Master Mage Clef," he told Ally's mother, "children will play, but if this truly is something, it is better to be safe than sorry."

She nodded. "Yes, of course. I'll go fetch my husband."

"Good." He looked at Adam once more. "Are you ready?"