Marvel Avengers Fan Fiction ❯ Clarity ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Her heart was pounding hard in her chest, almost painfully as she dug her heels into the ground below in hopes of stopping the man in his tracks. Some part of her hoped she could make her body go limp and prevent the man from carrying her to his car, but that tactic failed. She couldn’t remember any of the self-defense tactics due to the fear and adrenaline going through her mind. Despite all this, that familiar voice made her potential kidnapper stop in his tracks. His fingers were still wrapped around her wrist as he looked around for whoever spoke.

“And who are you supposed to be?” The man asked.

Tony Stark stepped out from the darkness and out into the nearby street lamp. Somehow Cat wasn’t surprised to see him.

Tony smiled, albeit in a not so friendly manner as he kept his hands in his pockets. “The name’s Tony Stark and I just want to thank you for finding my girlfriend for me.”

“Girlfriend?”

Cat felt her captor’s grip on her loosen as he said this. Her heart beat fast at hearing Tony’s words. Seeing the confused look on Cat’s face, Tony just winked at her before taking another step towards the two, his brown eyes looking at the potential kidnapper.

The other man definitely looked shady with his eyes narrowing and glaring at Tony, as he held fast to the girl.

"That's right and I just wanted to thank you for finding her for me. See, her friends called me and told me to bring her home so again, thanks for finding her. We'll be going now if you don't mind."

Cat watched in surprise as the playboy billionaire reached out with one of his hands. She shivered at feeling the warmth of Tony’s fingers gently wrapping around her wrist, slowly loosening the other male’s grip on her. The woman obliged, letting Tony slowly (and cautiously) ease her closer to him. Both Tony and Catmint froze in mid-action as they heard a soft clicking sound from nearby.

When the two of them looked back, they saw a gun in the hands of the man and it was aimed at both of them.

Of course he would have a fucking gun, Tony thought almost sarcastically. The brown-haired man, using his free hand, slowly reached into the pocket where he had kept the small device he had used to speak to Jarvis.

“Honestly, do we really need to resort to violence over a pretty girl?” Tony asked, that sarcastic edge in his tone, “I mean what are we? In high school?”

He felt Cat grab onto the sleeve of his jacket as he managed to ease her to his side, his gaze watching as the man wielding the gun smirked. Boy did this guy pick the wrong night to mess with him.

“Who says I’m gonna fight over the girl? I only need to kill her.”

“Wait, what?” Cat blurted out in alarm at hearing him say that.

Come on, come on, Tony felt around in his pocket before finally feeling his fingertips brushing against the metal of the communication device. With careful maneuvering, the inventor managed to get the device into the palm of his hand and he pressed a button on it. He knew by the light vibrating motion from the device that Jarvis became active. And knowing his personal AI, he was preparing one of his newer Suits for combat.

“And why would you want to kill her? I mean she’s just a random girl, I mean there are hundreds of girls in this city alone and you chose her of all people?”

Cat glared at Tony, her eyes narrowing. “What do you mean some random girl? I may not be one of those party girls you’re used to, but I’m not--”

“Uh, now’s not the time to be arguing, Sweetie,” Tony eyed the man as he said this. “I mean we’re facing a mean man with a gun.”

“I know he’s got a gun and don’t call me, Sweetie! I’m not one of your call girls.”

Tony almost smiled in satisfaction at seeing the confusion on the face of the gunman. Things were going according to plan, well the plan he was making up on the fly. “I know, I know, but we are in danger. He can still shoot us and I know you want to live, right?”

“Of course, I want to…” Cat stopped in mid-sentence at hearing the underlining urgency in Tony’s voice. Still holding onto him, she glanced at the gunman, taking note of how the gun was lowered slightly. The woman smiled uneasily. “Right, and here we are, bickering like a married couple.”

“But we are a married couple, snookums.” Tony teased.

“What? No, we’re not! This is like the first time we’ve met-!”

Glancing at the gunman and noticing the amused yet curious look on his face as the gunman watched their banter, Tony quickly pulled Catmint to him. One arm snaked around her waist as he did so. Her body tensed at the closeness they were suddenly sharing. Before Cat could protest the seemingly intimate act, Tony, keeping an eye on the man that was threatening them and his other hand in his pocket, leaned close to her.

It happened in an instant, his lips grazing over her's, the very light kiss seemingly sending sparks up her spine. He felt her body give a small shudder and heard the small gasp of surprise. As the billionaire's kiss ghosted across her lips, he felt the metal of the device in his hand still in his pocket quickly forming what some would think was a gauntlet.

As the metal reached his shoulder, forming the beginnings of his armor, Tony moved his lips, speaking to Cat through the kiss. Four words were spoken to her.

"Get behind me, quick!"

Recognition passed through her mind at hearing the order and Cat quickly did as she was told, breaking lip contact with him as he aimed his armored hand at the nearby man.