MegaMan NT Warrior (Rockman) Fan Fiction ❯ Two Robots, Red as Blood ❯ Zero Sees Dead People ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Two Robots, Red as Blood

By King Salad

Rated: PG-13 (May Change To R)

MM Series: Classic, Zero

Summary: Protoman kills Wily, only to be frozen in time for centuries, and he awakes to a war torn world that needs a hero. Now Protoman must join with the last of his enemy's creations to battle man and machine alike to save what's left of this world. . .

Author's Notes: This chapter will be a bit better than the first, because it gets into the new story. Also it contains a few curse words so you've been warned. ^_-

Zero wasn't sound that night. He sat on the balcony of his small, round, steel dome-like house. Each of the house-domes had a small balcony. Kathryn Light could often be seen on hers, she loved it. She claimed it helped her clear her mind to be out there, so maybe Zero would try it.

Hours had passed since the unprovoked attack. A message from Sugihara claimed that it was not the REA who attacked Cyneburga. That it was the Seven trying to frame them. The Seven denied this claim an hour later and announced it was all the REA's plan to try to get the Rider's on their side.

Zero didn't know who to believe, nor did he care. He was disturbed because of what he'd seen on that ship. It was hard to tell from the distance, but it looked so much like him.

`No Zero, you're just overreacting. You don't know what the hell you're talking about. X is dead! He can't have been on that ship dammit!'

Even as he thought it, or said it aloud, he saw what he'd saw. He knew. Unless he was wrong, which he wished and hoped and prayed he was, X was on that ship. X was attacking Cyneburga. . .

`NO! X is dead dammit! You watched him die! You watched him die years ago! Stop it Zero!'

But he could not stop. He jumped form the balcony, landing gracefully on his feet. With a heavy sigh he made his way over to the largest of the round domes where Tai Light was still working on Blues Protoman, who was unthawed but not responsive.

Into the round door Zero went after entering the pass codes and made him way to the lab. He opened the door but Tai didn't say anything, he was bent over the ancient body of Protoman, working and trying to repair him.

"Hey Z."

He said at last, getting up and wiping his sweaty brow on his already dirty sleeve.

"I'm almost done. His old hardware is way too far-gone to supply enough power to get him online, but I can replace it with some new stuff. I'm hoping to have him up and running by tomorrow. God, won't it be exciting Z? I mean, I know his memory will probably be shaky, but he can get it back. Think of everything we could learn! I mean. . . what's on your mind Z?"

Tai could ramble on forever, honestly for days on end, if you let him. But seeing the look on Zero's face made him stop.

"I can't explain. I just. . . I came to get leave sir."

Zero and Tai were friends, and Zero only recognized Tai as his superior officer when they were out in official military duty. Besides, the humans always saw Tai as the leader, but most robots would, if Zero asked them too, disobey Tai's orders. The robots saw Zero as their leader. But Zero served Tai, so no robot doubted Tai. It was by chance, or perhaps fate, that Tai shared his last name with Dr. Light. Now, after 1000 years between the two's life span, no one could really think Tai was the great-great-great-ect grandson of Light, it was absurd! But that didn't stop some from thinking it.

"Leave? And where are you going Z?"

Tai said, not dropping the casual talk for the military.

"That ship that attacked. I don't know if they were REA or Seven or whatever, but. . . I have to go after them."

Tai looked into the robot's eyes and sighed.

"Why Zero?"

Zero took his time responding. For several minutes he didn't speak. Then at last he spoke again.


"X was on that's ship."

Tai stopped. X died many years before Tai was ever born or conceived, but he was indeed familiar with the stories.

"Z. . . X has been dead for a long time."

"I know." Zero said, now looking away. "But it was him. And if not him, then a new X. Look, I can't explain how I know. I mean, I thought I saw him. . . but I felt him too. Just give me leave sir. Or I'll have to go on my own and be a renegade."

Tai sighed and nodded.

"You have my leave Z. I can't have you as an enemy. But Z, you gotta promise me something."

Zero knew what was coming. It was wrong for any human and robot to fall in love. The REA and Seven both would kill any of their kind who loved the other kind. As for the Rider's, they frowned on it. It could tear apart the Rider's, it could destroy them. But Zero broke that rule. Kathryn and he had never said it out loud to one another, nor had they ever even kissed. But it was well known there was something between them. Tai didn't say a word about it ever.

"You better come back to her. My sis. . . she shouldn't like you. But she does. And I won't stop her. You have to come back for her Z. Because if you don't come back, if you break her heart I'll. . ."

"I'll be back Tai."

"In one piece?"

"I hope so."

Tai stuck out his gloved hand, the glove was brown and leather and much too big for him, and Zero took it and shook his hand. Tai sighed as the blond robot released his hand.

"And hey Tai, you do something for me. Get this Blues fellow online for when I get back."

"What, I mean, I will, but why?"

Tai was a bit confused. He knew ever since Protoman was IDed that his old friend had felt some connection.

"Because he was the inspiration."


This didn't help Tai at all, and he had to ask:


"What inspiration?"

"Wily's inspiration. When he built me."

Zero left the lab at these words, and Tai watched him leave. He turned back to the body of Blues.

"Well I'll be damned. The first and the last. Unbelievable."

* * * * * * * * * * *

Kathryn woke up the next morning in her round home made of steel and covered in ice. It was cold, almost as cold as it could ever be. Cyneburga was built because there was a natural heat source at this place, and it was enough to heat the houses a bit.

Kat rose from the bed, her long red hair falling down her nude back like a stream of red flames down a pale but silky river bed. She sighed and walked over to the dresser, putting her hair up into a bun and then gathering clothes. She dressed in a hurry, when you're under a thick blanket covered in warm fur, then being nude isn't a problem, but when your not and just walking in the cold air it's a definite problem. And there was no heater to warm you up later.

After dressing she left the house, walking along the snowy round, the white snow was fluffy and wonderful, or it would have been. Kat liked the snow, it was fun to play in when she was a child, and still she enjoyed it as a young lady. However, she would love to see one spring in her lifetime. She heard stories or flowers, and trees with leafs, and while there were the thick fur trees, she heard of other kinds of trees. And flowers! Spring would be nice. But that wish was wished by many people over the many years since heat became scarce.

She was on her way to the lab, where her brother Tai probably slept while working on that Blues. She liked Blues, he reminded her of Zero. She had a crush on Zero. It was his personality. He had a cold chill on the outside, but he had a huge surge of love and justice inside. She loved that about him. But he was a robot, and it was wrong for human and robot to love.

Why? For one, it could cause problems. And when man and machine are in a war, a Romeo and Juliet love story is not needed. For two, they couldn't have children. It was impossible. Though robot and human could have sex, no children could be born. And for three, the most important of all, humans die in age, robots do not. And that was bad.

She arrived at the lab, pushing her feelings for Zero aside, and entering the lab. She made her way into it, where Blues was still lying on the cot, not alive but not dead either. Tai was sitting at the computer, typing away.


"Hey sis. . ."

She instantly knew something was wrong from the tone of his voice. She knew something happened.

"What's wrong?"

Tai cussed himself out mentally, he could never cover it up.

"You better sit down Kat."

She moved slowly near him, sitting on the end of the cot that held Protoman. Her brother turned around in the chair to face her, running a hand through his spiked chocolate hair.

"It's Zero, isn't it?"

She said, already aware of the awnser.

"Yeah."

"What happened? Is he hurt?"

Tai shook his head.

"No sis. He left. He went after that REA ship that attacked yesterday."

Tai didn't think she needed to know that the reason Zero had left was because he believed his dead best friend was alive and working for the REA. Of course, if Zero was right, it could be a turning point in the war. X was a machine. And the REA hated machines. If X was on that ship it meant either A) The REA were secretly using robots, which could lose them tons of public support and maybe help end the war, or B) that ship wasn't the REA. And the Seven didn't use battleships like that, which meant . . . who was it?

Kat didn't speak. She just sat there in silence. Zero went after a entire battleship by himself? That was suicide!

"And you let him go?"

Kat said, anger swelling up.

"Kat. I had to."

Kathryn didn't want to hear this, she stood up and ran from the lab. Tai stood and started after her but stopped with a sigh. She wouldn't go anywhere.

Outside she did go somewhere, however. To the hover bike range. The guard didn't stop her, she was the boss's sister. She took her brother's bike. It had a tracker on it for the other bikes. Luckily Zero had taken his own bike, she could track it. And so she left Cyneburga to go after Zero. She would find him and help him.

Or so she thought. . .