Naruto Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ More Than Anything ❯ Brother Dearest ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Five: Brother Dearest
 
Sasuke.”
 
The Uchiha boy stiffened just a little bit, turning his head just enough to see his father standing nearby. He scowled at the man, briefly flickering his onyx colored eyes toward the quiet Kagome. She appeared hesitant, unsure, and he could understand why considering his father often times did his damnedest to instill fear into the other people of the village. However, he was relieved when she finally bowed just slightly.
 
“Fugaku-sama,” the Higurashi politely called. “Itachi-sama.”
 
Sasuke stiffened a bit more, as his eyes slid beyond his father and found those of his indifferent brother. The elder Uchiha did not make a move, only raising his brow slightly as he blinked at the girl with them. He wanted to growl and hiss, and do anything steer Itachi's attention away from Kagome because, damn it, she was going to be his! And his brother had no right to look at her, especially when there were so many other girls constantly fawning over him and begging for his attention.
 
He forced himself not to move, to stand in front of her, while his brother slid his eyes in his direction. He narrowed his own, relieved that his brother was no longer staring at Kagome, though his chest tightened underneath the stare. It did not matter that Higurashi Kagome barely acknowledged the presence of the Uchiha clan, and acted almost like they did not exist, because he knew that Itachi had always gotten everything that he, Sasuke, wanted. But, he would not get Kagome!
 
He would make sure of it.
 
“What are you doing, Sasuke?” Fugaku asked.
 
“Training,” he stated evenly. The burn in his throat seemed to disappear all together the moment he laid eyes on his sibling, an angry part of him rising up and driving the remaining pain away. Thus, his voice came out in the even, arrogant tone that his father pounded into his head when he was young.
 
“Really now?” He shifted his eyes away from his son, silently taking in the appearance of the young girl next to him. Fugaku was a bit surprised. From Leiko's reaction, he had expected her to be a commoner's daughter that somehow managed to trick his son into letting her spend time with him. Not a girl that could easily pass as an Uchiha if she transformed her dark blue eyes just a shade darker. “And you are?”
 
“H-Higurashi Kagome.”
 
A small smirk tilted on the Uchiha patriarch's lips, as the girl nervously shuffled her feet. Clearly she had thought he would overlook her. “Higurashi Kagome,” he stated. “You are the kunoichi that currently holds the highest rank in ninjutsu, is that right?”
 
Kagome gulped. Was he going to start yelling at her? She knew for a fact that the Uchiha clan prided themselves on being the best, so the fact that she had surpassed Uchiha Leiko in ninjutsu class must have really yanked his chain for him to bring it up.
 
His eyes narrowed just slightly when she only shuffled her feet a little more.
 
“Y-yes, sir,” she nodded. After she spoke, she almost sighed. If there was to be yelling, there would be yelling. Besides, if he wanted to yell so much, she would politely tell him to go yell at the person that dropped out of the top rank, since it was not her fault. She could not help it that she quickly picked up everything that her grandfather showed her and utilized it during ninjutsu training.
 
Darn it, though, she sounded a lot like Hinata in that moment. She was not even doing anything wrong—unless Naruto was right, and Sasuke had just asked her to help him in order to get her into trouble—so there was no reason to worry. Sure, he was an Uchiha, but he could not really do anything to her. It was against the laws set down by the Hokage himself, since there was a clear rank difference between them.
 
Fugaku discretely cast a glance toward his youngest son, having noticed the way his hand clenched. He wondered briefly why Sasuke was becoming so agitated, but decided that it did not matter at the moment. “And the reason for your sudden climb in rank?” he asked the kunoichi-in-training.
 
“Uh,” Kagome swallowed again. The attention was not something she was used to or liked that much, but she quickly found her voice to answer once more. “My grandfather decided that it was time to teach my younger brother and I a few of the techniques he'd been saving until we were officially shinobi. He got so excited that my class is graduating, as you know, in a little over a month. So, um, I can now perform the Academy ninjutsu, two advanced water techniques, and three lightning ones.”
 
Fugaku remained silent, casting his eyes down the small slip of a girl. That was no doubt the reason why she had surpassed Uchiha Leiko in chakra control, as well, though they were both still far behind the Hyuuga heiress. That little fact did not bother him, though, considering the Hyuuga clan's gentle first style demanded excellent chakra control.
 
Kagome blushed the longer he stared. What was he looking at? Was he trying to assess her? Trying to figure out how in the world someone like her, outside of a famous clan, could out rank one of his own flesh and blood? `Cause she seriously doubted he was staring because—no, and she quickly shook the very thought away.
 
The idea that the Uchiha patriarch might be that kind of pervert was ridiculous.
 
“Your grandfather must be very proud,” Fugaku stated at last. Lightning was a very tricky element. It must have taken her quite some time to master three advanced techniques of that nature. So, he would overlook the fact that she was standing on Uchiha property with his youngest son without permission or a good reason to be there—for now.
 
“He is,” she muttered. Oh, yes, very proud. So much so, that after she succeeded in performing the third jutsu he raced off to tell his buddies about it. Wanting to brag and tell them how much better his granddaughter was, because she could perform lightning techniques while in the Academy. And maybe rattle off an old tale or two that they should all remember, but somehow could not recall some of the details he added.
 
“Sasuke—” the girl sighed as he finally turned his attention away from her, “—I hear that have you been having trouble in ninjutsu class and occasionally taijutsu.”
 
His father made it a statement, but Sasuke knew he wanted an answer. He always wanted an answer. So, he said, “I might have.”
 
Fugaku seemed to ignore the fact that his youngest son had spoken, as he nodded his head toward the boy's silent sibling. “Itachi has been kind enough to skip his ANBU duties for the day in order to help you.” He sounded slightly amused, considering he knew there had to be some reason for Sasuke to suddenly screw up. And, if his suspicion was correct, it definitely had something to do with the girl standing next to him. “He will make sure that you do not damage the Uchiha name anymore than you already have.”
 
He forced down a growl, shifting his onyx colored eyes to his silent brother. Damaging the Uchiha name? Oh, yes, Itachi was the perfect person to make sure he did not do that.
 
“You, Higurashi, may leave,” Fugaku finished.
 
“O-ok.” Kagome's head screamed much differently than her voice sounded. He might be the almighty Uchiha patriarch, but where did he get off dismissing her like that? He was not her father! And he had no right—except for the fact that she was currently standing on his land—to tell her what to do!
 
Damn it. Sasuke clenched his hand a little tighter. His plan had been working perfectly until his father and brother decided to show up. And now Higurashi Kagome was planning on leaving, leaving him with the need to scramble for another idea. He would not be able to convince his father that he was only training with Higurashi Kagome twice. The elder Uchiha would easily realize that he had another agenda, and he did not want him to know what he had planned yet just.
 
“I, um—” Kagome mentally snorted. They were just other shinobi. “—I'll see you tomorrow, Sasuke.”
 
“…Yeah,” he mumbled. He watched her go, silently, while his mind processed the slight sway of Kagome's hips. It was not very noticeable, probably only developing because she was nearing puberty, but he bit the inside of his lip when his mind processed it as a seductive gesture. Then, he forcefully shifted his eyes back to the two men in front of him. And he had to still another growl in his chest at what he saw.
 
Itachi's eyes, Sharingan ablaze, were clearly following Kagome.
 
Itachi's red eyes shifted just a bit, while his brother's stare burned into him. He ignored the urge to lift his eyebrow, already having a very clear idea of why Sasuke was acting the way he was. His body language alone gave him away—the glances, stiffening, and staring. All of it added up in Itachi's mind quickly, but he wondered why that girl had been the one to attract his brother's attention.
 
Sasuke was determined to prove he, too, was a prodigy. He was determined to prove that he would not always stand in his shadow. Yet, suddenly a girl had snagged his interest. Pulled him away from the constant need to prove he could be better, despite the long path he would have to follow. Pushed him to the point that he threw aside his pride and determination just to spend a moment in her presence.
 
Yes, that definitely made her interesting.
 
“Itachi,” Fugaku stated once the girl had left, “you know what to do.”
 
Itachi nodded, seeing no reason to respond to their father.
 
The Uchiha patriarch gave a satisfied smirk, sure that both his sons would once again be on the right path soon enough, and turned to return to the Uchiha district. Itachi would make sure that Sasuke did not screw up again, especially with a technique that he had performing for years, no matter what reason he had to do so. No little girl would get in the way of that.
 
Sasuke, though, had very different plans.
 
“Are you going to go find that girl?” Itachi asked. He had noticed Sasuke's slight shift the moment their father was out of sight, and anticipated his leave. The boy had once clung to him like a second skin, but nowadays he could not seem to stand being in his very presence. And it made sense that he would seek out the girl he was trying to win the affections of.
 
“That's none of your business,” Sasuke growled back.
 
“I have to wonder what has you so interested, little brother,” Itachi continued. “That girl does not seem to even notice your affection.”
 
Shut up,” he snarled.
 
Itachi blinked, not in the least affected by Sasuke's hostility. “Though, that is not all that surprising. This plan you've come up with is weak. What girl would notice a boy that needs her help with a simple technique?”
 
“I can perform the fire technique just fine!” Sasuke shouted, losing his cool. He refused to look weak in the eyes of the great Uchiha prodigy.
 
“Really now? That is not—”
 
Sasuke had already shifted through the seals, and turned on his heel until he was facing the Nakano River. The fire released itself in the form of a giant fireball, hurtling across the water and dwindling out when it hit the opposite bank. Then, he cast a glance at his elder brother.
 
“You are so defensive,” Itachi stated.
 
“Whatever,” Sasuke said. “I'm leaving.”
 
“Sasuke—” his voice stopped his brother from walking for a second, “—what is it about that girl that has you so enamored?”
 
The younger Uchiha stiffened again.
 
“Why have you suddenly decided to toss aside your ambition in order to seek her affections?” Itachi asked his question out of curiosity, nothing more. The girl did not interest him beyond that point. She was not even a genin yet, so there was no reason to be interested in her, other than the fact that she had snagged his brother's attention so completely.
 
“I don't have to answer that,” Sasuke hissed, before walking away.
 
Itachi's Sharingan filled eyes watched his brother go, his curiosity rising a bit more with each step that the boy took. He suspected that Sasuke did not wish to tell him anything about the girl because of his need to have her affection—most likely thinking he would attempt to take it from him, no matter how ridiculous the thought was. Yet, he still could not figure out why such an average looking kunoichi—even if she did almost have the Uchiha appearance—would win his brother's heart.
 
Perhaps the girl herself could give him his answers?
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Kagome left the Uchiha district without any problems, sighing a bit when she finally allowed herself a chance to relax. She had been positive she was going to get into so much trouble—though Sasuke had said they should be fine, considering he was an Uchiha—but she really glad she had not. Her mother would have yelled and yelled and yelled and yelled if she had found out, since it had been just last week when Naruto got her to—
 
“Kagome?”
 
“Eh?” Kagome blinked, turning on her heel. Noticing the lavender-eyed boy standing behind her, she smiled a bit. He might have freaked her out a little the year before, but she was still friendly whenever she saw him. “Oh, Neji! I thought you were on a mission this week?”
 
The Hyuuga ignored her question, asking, “Why were you in the Uchiha district?”
 
“Oh,” Kagome cast a glance at the district behind her, “I was helping Uchiha Sasuke with a little problem he was having this week.”
 
“Is that so?” Neji asked.
 
She nodded, deciding it was best not to go into detail. The Hyuuga clan thought they were the best, but telling any of them that the son of the Uchiha patriarch was screwing up in ninjutsu class could not end well. For her, that was. And personally she did not want to sit through an entire episode of `put the other clan down', since she heard enough of it on the street and basically anywhere that a Hyuuga and Uchiha managed to cross paths. The rivalry was really getting old.
 
“Here,” he nodded his head toward the west, “I'll walk you home.”
 
“Oh,” she blushed a little. “You really don't have to!”
 
“I insist,” he replied. Oh, if only Higurashi Kagome could realize how much he was willing to throw aside for her. How many Hyuuga laws he was willing to ignore.
 
“W-well, if you really want, I don't—” she paused as they walked. “Hey, what were you doing outside the Uchiha district?”
 
“Gai-sensei wished to congratulate us on our successful mission with a training session,” Neji replied. “It, unfortunately, was scheduled to be near the Uchiha district.”
 
“And when was that?” she asked. She was only a little suspicious. He did not look like he had come from a training session, though she could be wrong. She had only seen him covered in sweat once, but that had been from over doing it. So, there was a very likely chance that he had come from a training session.
 
“In about twenty minutes.”
 
…Or not. Kagome blinked, looking back in the direction they had come from. She quickly protested afterward, “If you have a training session in twenty minutes, you should be going there, not walking me home.”
 
Neji stopped just before the market, staring at her. Then, he said, “Gai-sensei will understand.” He did not bother to add that the insane jounin would also spout off about how youthful he was to walk such a pretty girl home. Nor did he mention that the man would encourage him to spend more time with her. After all, he was very aware of how she had taken to his—
 
“Kagome!”
 
Kagome forgot about the discussion, instantly turning her attention to the boy rushing toward them. A victorious smile crossed her face, as she grabbed onto the blonde the moment he came into range. “You owe me one thousand yen, Naruto!” she laughed wickedly.
 
“W-what?” Naruto gasped.
 
“One thousand yen?” Neji asked, curious.
 
“Yup!” Kagome grinned. “Naruto said that I wouldn't come back from my training session with Sasuke in one piece, but as you can see, I am perfectly fine! So, fork over the money, Naruto!”
 
“B-but—!”
 
Kagome ignored them both, taking advantage of Naruto's useless arm and digging in his pockets.
 
“Hey!” Naruto yelled, jumping a bit. “Get out of there!”
 
Neji's eyes narrowed on the blonde.
 
Kagome let out a yell of victory when she pulled forth a frog shaped pouch. She held it just out of Naruto's reach, popping out the mouth and looking inside for her sweet victory money. However, her grin slipped a bit when she noticed the small piece of lint sitting in the bottom.
 
“Kagome?” Naruto gulped.
 
Growling, the girl turned her burning eyes onto him. “You don't even have the money?”
 
“You weren't supposed to win!” he yelled back in defense.
 
“I'll kill you!” she shrieked. She went for his throat almost instantly, determined to beat him within an inch of his life or until he agreed to get her, her money within the day!
 
“Ouch!” Naruto hissed. “Watch the arm, will ya?
 
The fact that he was already injured processed in her mind, and she stepped back from him just a little bit. Crossing her arms, she huffed, stating, “Just you wait, Naruto. I will get my money. I will. And once that damn arm is out of my way, nothing will save you!”
 
“What exactly happened to your arm?” Neji asked.
 
“Eh, that stupid, idiot, bastard Sasuke burned it,” Naruto huffed. “And then Kagome agreed to help him because he told her he didn't mean to do it!”
 
Odd. Neji's eyes narrowed a little more, wondering what the Uchiha's game was. The only reason he would have apologized for such an action—considering Neji knew for a fact he did not like Naruto at all—was if he had an ulterior motive. And considering Kagome was the one he wished help from, she had to be the center of it. But why?
 
“Neji! My youthful rival, there you are!”
 
Neji stiffened only a bit, his attention turning toward the green clad boy now standing nearby. “Lee,” he stated.
 
“Gai-sensei sent me to retrieve you!” Lee exclaimed. “But, I am glad to see you are spreading your youth to these young shinobi-in-training! They will surely soar through the ranks now that you have—”
 
“What's with that bushy-browed guy?” Naruto blinked. He vaguely remembered him from a few times that Neji was trying to put the charm on, but his name slipped from his mind with ease.
 
“You better go, Neji.” Kagome's voice still had a slight edge from Naruto's basic betrayal, but she somehow sounded concerned. “You might get into trouble with your jounin-instructor if you don't.”
 
“Yeah,” Naruto agreed. He grinned a bit, “I'll make sure that Kagome—”
 
“I'll make sure that Naruto comes with me,” Kagome huffed. “Because I'm going to get that money.”
 
Naruto shivered.
 
Neji merely nodded, and began to walk in the direction that they had come from.
 
“Eh?” Lee blinked. “Neji, my rival, wait for me!”
 
“Man, that guy is weird,” Naruto muttered.
 
“Come on, we're going to my house and you're going to work off that debt!” Kagome growled, grabbing onto his burned arm.
 
“Ow, ow! Hey, watch the arm!
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
KibaSin: (double take) WAIT A GOSH DARN MINUTE! Neji was not supposed to be in this chapter! When did that happen! Damn you fingers!
 
Kiba
 
Please review!