Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Art of the Angel ❯ Chapter 15 ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
of the few times getting the sketch done, this had to be the most silent that Hikari was. She didn’t seem to say a single word the whole time she was drawing Gaara. She only looked at him occasionally for a couple seconds, then reverted back to the desk and continued her art. Gaara couldn’t help but notice that her hands were shaking as she drew, but sometimes she stopped. She seemed to try and force them from trembling. Gaara had never seen her so focused on only doing the art. She always tried to converse with him when she was sketching him. He could tell she was trying to get him to exchange things with her to get to know him more. It was getting more and more obvious. That wasn’t happening now. He usually was a person who had gotten so used to the still silence of some people. Hikari was another story though; seeing her so silent got to him. It just seemed to bother him on how she wasn’t talking with him.

He could also see it in her face. Hikari was growing anxious. She was showing all signs that something was on her mind, she must have not been so good at hiding anything. But why didn’t she want to tell him? What was getting to her so much that she didn’t want to bring it up? Didn’t she just say last night that she felt safe with me? he wondered. So what was going on? Was it… was it him she was growing tension over? He had grown annoyed with Temari’s actions earlier at the studio. She seemed to be in such a hurry to leave the shop when she figured out that he was waiting for Rei. He grew so much provocation, that he could feel the sand in his gourd get uneasy, moving around inside of it. Right then, he could see the concern in her eyes, something he hadn’t seen on her face in a while. For a good time now, he had actually been in a calm, normal state. Things began to grow when he met Hikari once again, when these strange feelings came around with her compassionate nature towards him that he was now rising to crave. Did he still look annoyed after the diminutive conflict with Temari earlier? Was he… starting to scare her?

That question suddenly made him feel so uneasy, a strange sensation filled his stomach. It was a strange wave of nausea. He bent a slight bit over and grabbed his side, but not too much so that Hikari could still read his body. Hikari, though, didn’t continue. She looked up from her picture in worry. “Gaara, are you okay?” she asked. He looked up at her, eyeing her, studying her. Her look of fear was gone, it was only distress. He sat back, ignoring the unfamiliar feeling inside. “I’ll be fine, just keep going.” he answered. Hikari didn’t continue, she put down her pencil, and got up from her chair and approached him. He suddenly felt her warm, soft hand touch his forehead. “You don’t feel too feverish.” Hikari said softly. But she didn’t take her fingers off his forehead. He was starting to take her arm as Hikari suddenly began tracing her hand lightly on his head. She was getting particularly at his kanji. She placed her fingers directly on the kanji.

She immediately drew back her hand, her eyes widened. His hand let go of her withdrawn hand. “Gaara… the mark on your head…. That’s… not..” she looked at him for a long time, appearing to be thunderstruck. She seemed to find the strength to push out the last words, but came out in a surprised whisper. “…a tattoo. It’s a scar.” She placed her hand on it again gently. He closed his eyes, and looked down. “It is.”

Hikari rubbed it gently. “I.. Could tell because it feels like one, the raised skin… What happened for you to get such a wound?” she asked. He didn’t want to tell her. At least not now. He never liked to recollect those times of such pain and fear. The scar he got from after killing his uncle, placing that kanji to forever tell him that he would only love himself and fight only himself. When he was told he could never be loved by anyone. He sighed and gazed into her ice blue eyes. They were filled with so much kindness, so welcoming to him. It made a part of him feel better, but not enough to soothe this strange feeling that tortured him inside. “It was just a horrible memory.” he answered. Hikari tilted her head, her expression only dishearten. It hurt to see her look so down in his eyes. “That must have really hurt, but please. What happened to give you this?” she asked.

Gaara didn’t answer, he didn’t know where to continue. He was deciding whether he should tell her, or not to. Nothing was said in the room, and it seemed to make time slow down. Hikari softly smiled and leaned to his ear. “I can tell. You don’t want to tell me.” she said. His eyes looked down. Even he could be read easily, it seemed. It wasn’t just her that couldn’t hide some things. “Trust me, It’s better you don’t know.” he told her. Hikari didn’t say anything for a moment, but them whispered again. “I don’t want to rush you. Tell me when you’re ready.” she said. He pushed her back to look at her directly. “When will you be ready to tell me what’s wrong with you? You‘ve looked nervous this whole time. You can‘t hide it from me.”

Hikari looked surprised for a second, but it faded to a sad frown. “It’s okay, I’m fine.” Gaara looked away from her. He could feel his antipathy rise. “I don’t like when people lie to me, especially you.” In the corner of his eye, she saw her look down. “I just don’t want you to worry about me that much.” His face softened from the anger showing on it and looked at her. She looked at him for a moment, but then slowly nodded. “Hold on a second.” she walked up to the desk. He didn’t see what was going on, but he heard her slightly tear a page out of the sketchbook. She handed it to him, her face very grim. “It’s a message from Rei.”

He took a moment quickly reading it over, eyes narrowing in frustration. “Why didn’t you show me this earlier?” he asked. “I… I just wanted to continue the picture. I didn’t want to worry about it, but.. I couldn’t. I’m worried to what Rei has in mind. I… I’m scared.” Hikari cried. Her eyes started to well up with tears, and she started to wipe them away. Gaara got up from the chair and grasped her arm gently. She blinked, one tear starting to roll down her cheek. Gaara felt like he needed to do something. Seeing her like this wasn’t right, he want to do something… he wanted to help her. I don’t want her to be afraid…

His maddened expression went away as Hikari finally embraced him. They returned to a position similar back to when Hikari was found out in the rain in pursuit of Rei the first time. Here she was again, lost in another problem with the same person. Gaara slowly began to hate him for causing this trauma for someone who didn’t need it. Hikari was too great of a person to deserve this. Angels are not meant to be hurt. “I just don’t want you hiding these things from me. Hikari, your in danger.” he said as softly as he could. He didn’t want her to think she couldn’t keep anything to herself; think he was being too forceful. Hikari let go and looked at him. She was smiling, but her eyes were still teary. “I’m sorry. I guess I was just being selfish. I just wanted to continue the picture. So I ignored the threat as much as I could. I just wanted… some time for us. I enjoy all the time I’m with you.” she said.

“You don’t need to be sorry.” Gaara said. That was true, Hikari was just turning to the brighter alternative. Leave the troubles behind, and do what you enjoy while you still have time to do it. Something he didn’t think of doing often. For Hikari, it was just her character. A character that is day, while his was night. An angel in the light, and a demon desperate to leave the dark. The more he thought of it, the more he began to hurt.

Hikari weakly laughed, and she placed her hands on his face. Gaara valued the soothing touch on his face. “I guess that’s just who I am. Maybe I’m too happy. Too nice. Too helpful…” She moved one of her hands back on his kanji. “I swear I can still feel the pain you must have had when you got this.” It did hurt, when he got the sand to finally pierce his skin and create that sign. It was the first time he ever had physical pain, along with the first time he ever bled. He still remembered feeling that warm liquid he saw out of others roll down his face that long time ago. He didn’t really care at that moment, but later is almost shocked him to see that he had blood as well. From having no cuts or breaking of the skin, he once wondered if his body contained any blood.

Hikari got closer to his forehead. Gaara couldn’t move his body, for he was not certain of what Hikari was doing. He suddenly heard Hikari talk, in a soft, smooth voice. “I remember hearing a long time ago from my aunt of a way to heal a wound. I cut my hand once the first time I used that knife for sharpening my pencils. After she cleaned my cut, she did this to make it better.” Gaara’s eyes widened when he felt something unfamiliar touch his kanji. It didn’t feel like her hands, it was too moist. He looked up the best he could, and after a couple seconds he saw it. Hikari was kissing his head. It was a soft, tender kiss. He could just barely feel her lips touch his head. He…

He liked it. He wanted more of it.

Gaara’s hands reached up and softly touched Hikari’s face. He started to gently pull down Hikari’s head to his. She understood his actions and she stopped kissing his head. Hikari’s face was the closest Gaara had ever seen. She had a kind smile on her face. He could feel her small breaths on his. She probably felt he same with him. The best thing to him was that she didn’t look afraid. She didn’t pull back, she didn’t turn away. She allowed his actions, and was smiling at him. “Did you like that? Does it feel better?” Hikari asked. Gaara could feel it, he could feel his face do something he hadn’t done since maybe he was a kid. His lips curved to a smile. Not a smile he had when he killed someone, watching in glee of the sight of pain. It was a smile of happiness. It was probably a very small smile, but it was enough to give Hikari an answer. “I haven’t seen you do that once while I was here.” Hikari said, her smile growing.

“I have a reason to now.” He said. Hikari’s eyes began to slowly close, her face leaned in closer to his. He could recollect it al from earlier. Earlier when he saw Rei do a similar thing to her. But after that, he didn’t think anymore. Everything seemed to be irrelevant now. His eyes closed as well as he soon felt her lips right on his. She had kissed him. A kiss. Something that seemed to be only in stories to him. An act of relationship with two people. A sign… of love.

Gaara kissed her in return. He felt Hikari’s hands go through his hair. He move his hands down to her waist to keep her close. The kiss seemed to just go on and on. And for a moment, Gaara didn’t want this to end. He felt this excitement explode inside of him. He felt… like he was enjoying his life for once. Being touched like this with person who cared about him. And… he cared about her. There was no denying it. He still didn’t know what love was, but he was getting the hint that he was. He was falling in love with Hikari. A girl he had only met days ago after years of being departed. Was it true that she was an angel he kept thinking in his childhood. A person who would give him happiness in his dark life? He didn’t want to think of it now. He just wanted to wallow in the moment he had in front of him. Leave the thoughts for his long, sleepless nights.

Hikari caressed his red hair, and moved her hands down to Gaara’s neck. Gaara held Hikari closer to his body. She was so close to him, they’re bodies touched. He could fee Hikari’s heart, it was beating rapidly. His is was beating hard too. He could feel it practically jump to his throat.

---------------------------------------------------------- ----------------

Hikari couldn’t be happier. Not counting those forced kisses that Rei took from her, this was Hikari’s first kiss. Everything in life didn’t seem to matter to her. The note she received from Rei that haunted her a moment ago was all erased. She was in Gaara’s arms, and she couldn’t feel any safer. He appeared a strong, but collected person. He had his troubles, like any human, but he was just different. Hikari was never sure in her life that she would have been with a guy. She never had these feelings with anyone like she did now. When Rei tried to kiss her, she was scared. She didn’t feel like she had those kinds of affection for him. It was her that tried to kiss Gaara first, and he gladly kissed her back. It all felt so right to her, and she couldn’t be happier. Gaara even pulled her in closer to her. She was afraid that he didn’t to be that close yet, but he welcomed it in reality.

They held their kiss for so long, that Hikari was starting to lose air. She didn’t want to part though. She just didn’t want this happy moment to die yet. She held it on longer, moving her hands one last time on his face. His face was warmer than it was a while ago, most likely from blushing. It made her giggle in her mind. It was just so cute. Gaara was cute. Her aunt was right, she did think Gaara was handsome. Was that a certain reason why she wanted to draw him? Now that she thought of it, it probably was. There were still many others though. He just seemed so interesting to draw.

She needed to let go now, she needed some oxygen. She started to move back, but Gaara was hesitant. It seemed he wasn’t ready yet. But after a second he let go of her. “I feel so much better, thank you.” she said. Gaara didn’t say anything, but he just put his arms around her, and held her close to his chest. “I should be thanking you.” he said, nearly a whisper. Hikari smiled. This was the greatest moment in her life. Forget Rei, he didn’t worry her now. “Let’s continue the art now.” Hikari said. Gaara nodded, and let her go.

-------------------------------------------------------------- ------------

“So, what’s worrying you?” Kankuro asked as he laid back in the chair. He had joined Temari in there because she seemed urgent about something. She just bluntly told him to go with her cause she had something to tell him. Temari sat next to him on the couch, looking very serious at the moment. “It’s about Gaara.” she said after a long sigh. “Does it include Hikari?” he asked. Temari nodded. “I’m getting a little worried.” she said. “About what? Are you nervous of him… having a relationship?” That didn’t sound like Temari to worry such a thing. Kankuro was actually expecting her to be jumping for joy that he had someone. And not care about him, who is still single and not loving it.

“Well, not exactly. It’s with Rei.” she said. “Gaara’s growing an obsession with getting revenge on him. I think it’s great he wants to protect Hikari, but-”
“You think he’s going to get reckless.” Kankuro finished for her. It was getting obvious from where she was going with the situation. Temari sighed again, and placed her hand on her forehead stressfully. “I’m just a little worried something’s going to happen. Something bad.” Kankuro paused in thought for a moment, but quickly gave up, turning to his sister. “So what do you think we should do?” Temari lowered her hands. “We could report him to someone. Press charges maybe. He did do attempted rape, right?” That question brought an eerie silence with the two. They had to face the facts that Hikari was almost raped by Rei, but she escaped before any damage was done. It still seemed though, that the talk of the situation was wrong, like Temari never should have said it.

“Do you think Gaara’s going to… kill him?” Temari asked, breaking the silence. She asked it in a small voice, a worried tone. Kankuro crossed his arms. “I don’t know for sure, really. The guy has changed.” After taking the role of Kazekage, it did seem like Gaara was acting different. He took steps carefully and thought about possible actions. They haven’t seen him be violent in a while. That could be a good thing or a bad thing. That could mean that he could be wanted violence again, and could use it on Rei. Or, he’s avoiding and fighting, but feels for Hikari’s protection that death is the only way. Maybe something else, it was just unknown right now.

“Perhaps we should take care of this.” Temari finally said after the momentary silence of thought. Kankuro raised his brow. “What? What are we going to do?” Temari frowned. “We could find Rei and take care of him. We can think of something, can’t we? It can avoid any problems, and Gaara doesn’t have to face him.” Kankuro rubbed his chin in thought. “I dunno, what if he gets ticked off that we took care of it? This may be something he wants to finish.” Temari stared at him questionably. “What are you talking about?”

Kankuro smirked. “And you call me slow.” He laughed to himself, but Temari only looked annoyed. “Can you just tell me what you’re saying?” Kankuro straightened up on the couch, it was his moment to look intelligent. “I may not be a hit with the ladies all the time, cause they’re so “choosy,” but I know some intentions men have for women they want. When their women is in need, he feels it is his duty to help her. For if he does not complete his task, he feels unworthy of his woman, and less of a man.” Temari stared at Kankuro like he was a deranged idiot. “Kankuro…. I get what you’re saying, but you explain it in the dumbest way I have ever heard.” she said. Kankuro glared irritably at her. “Hey! I did my best here! I’m just saying that possibly Gaara needs to do this for Hikari. In my opinion, I don’t want to get in his way.” he finally said, sitting lazily back in his chair.

Temari’s face still looked deep in thought. “But… I… I guess you’re right. But what should we do now?” Kankuro shrugged. “For now, I think you need to lay low for now and just wait. If something happens, take action, and I’ll help too. But… leave this to those lovebirds in that room.” Temari’s face turned pink with that comment. A grin came on her face. “Kankuro, you really think they’re… going to fall in love with each other.” Kankuro stared back at her blankly. “Once again, and you call me slow.” Temari angrily knocked Kankuro against the head, causing him to fall off the couch and plummet to the floor. Kankuro stumbled back to his feet, rubbing the red area on his head in agony. “Did you have to do that?” he whined. “Yes, you jerk!” she shouted angrily. But then her face softened to a smile. “Anyways, I’ll lay low, like you said for now. I’m going to get lunch started.”

Kankuro groaned. “Can’t you just ask Hikari to do it? I’ll even pay her.” Temari was ready to hit him again, but then she heard a noise in the hallway. She jerked her head to the hall to see Hikari and Gaara walk out. Gaara had his usual expression on his face, while Hikari had her bright smile on hers. Hikari had seemed to have gotten changed into some warmer clothes and put her long hair in two long braids. She waved at both of them in greeting.

“Hiya guys, me and Gaara are going to take a walk around the village and get some lunch.” Hikari said. Temari looked worriedly at them. “Hikari, are you sure you want to take a walk now?” she asked. “I’ll be sure she’s okay.” Gaara answered. Hikari nodded in agreement and the both headed out the door. Temari’s worried look formed to a warm smile as she watched her brother leave with this nice girl. Kankuro stared for a moment, then a big mischievous grin came upon his face. He jumped off the couch to his feet and bumped Temari with his arm. “Hey Temari, you see that?”

“See what?” she asked, looking at him questionably. “Look down a bit at the two.” Temari quickly turned back at the two. She caught a slight glimpse of it just before the exited the front door of the hotel room. Hikari and Gaara were holding hands. Hikari’s fingers were interlaced with Gaara’s, while his stayed slightly open. Temari bubbled up with joy at this. She turned to her other brother happily, who had a smart-aleckly grin. “I know when I’m right. Should we spy on them?” Temari slapped him, suddenly remembering doing something like this long ago…

------------------------------------------------------- -------------------

“It’s amazing, I’m done with you’re sketch!” Hikari said as she walked out of the hotel and onto the streets. Her hand that was holding Gaara’s swung slightly as they walked. “I need to get my canvas, brushes and paints very soon. I’ll need to stop by my shop sometime.”

“I can get them, If you want.” Gaara offered. Hikari smiled. “Nah, that’s okay. I’ll go and get them myself. You could come with me, but I need to talk to Aunt Izumi. Let her know in person I’m okay right now.” she said. They didn’t say anything as they walked around the village. Gaara and Hikari reached the main street of Konoha, where some main stores are. Also, the great view of the mountain overhead that seemed adorned with aged trees from the surrounding forest. The forest that showed the carving of the four Hokages. The fifth one, Tsunade, was still underway of being completed. You could see the workers and artisans that were all on certain platforms of an unused part of the mountain, preparing the area for the newest face. Hikari looked up at the mountain admirably.

“I love those carvings. Those are some great works of art up there. I have always wanted to draw that and capture it in my paintings.” she said, studying the mountain with a gleam in her eye. “Why haven’t you?” Gaara asked. Hikari looked down. “I don’t know really. Maybe I just didn’t find the right time to stop and do it.” She looked back up and at him. “But I don’t really care right now. I have you to work on.” She shook with excitement, but then looked back at Gaara. “So, where do you feel like going for lunch?” she asked.

“I don’t care, anywhere you want to go.” Gaara answered. All and all, he wasn’t that hungry. It was Hikari who’s stomach growled just moments after she cheered back in the room that she officially completed the rough sketch. Right after that, she said she really felt like going out to eat. She wanted to take a walk around town and get some fresh air. He questioned at first if she still wanted to go with Rei being possibly out there. She only smiled and told him. “You’ll be there. I’m not worried when I’m with you.” Gaara decided he would keep his eyes open for him, but for now, it was just them. Him and Hikari, just spending a day together. Wouldn’t that be considered a date?

“Well, okay. Let’s see what the stores have then.” Hikari said. She took him to all these different restraunts and she took a brief glance at all of them to see if that was what she wanted. She finally found a small restraunt and found a table inside. The waitress came up and took their orders. Hikari got the restraunt’s miso that was their special that day. Gaara ordered the same thing with a cup of coffee. The waitress went away and back with the food within a couple of minutes. Hikari opened up the wooden chopsticks given and began eating. “I love how fast this restraunt gave food so quickly.” Hikari said. Gaara nodded and soon began eating his food as well, but was mostly drinking his coffee. He had grown quite the taste for it growing up, drinking it so much.

Hikari made small talk with him throughout he time eating. She talked of things like how she loved the cool weather today and how she couldn’t wait for snow to arrive. She said of how she loved winters back when she was in the wave country, and it was so beautiful there. Gaara couldn’t say much about that because he never encounter winter with snow. It didn’t snow where he lived. Snowing in the desert would be such a phenomenon, some people may call it a sign of the apocalypse. “Snow is just so amazing to me, I think you would like it. Winter has a peaceful stillness to it, and there is nothing but white when it is fresh fallen, and not a soul has come out. Pure whiteness just fills the area, and gives me such a feeling. A calm, and happy feeling.” Hikari explained, closing her eyes from possibly imagining it.

Gaara wasn’t so sure if he was staying long enough in the village for winter to come. He heard vaguely that may come early here from weather patterns, but he wasn’t staying here forever. But that thought he wanted to avoid, because if he left to get back to his job, he would be leaving Hikari. He pushed that out. It wasn’t something to worry about now. He still had plenty of time here. He just continued to listen to Hikari talk of wintertime that she seemed to adore.

Hikari was suddenly interrupted when this voice rang through the air. “Miss Hikari! There you are!” The both looked over to find three young kids run to them. One was a girl with black hair up in pigtails with brown eyes, another had brown hair and hazel eyes, while the third was a boy with dark brown hair and blue eyes. The black-haired girl had a light blue ball in her hands. All three ran straight toward Hikari, who sprung from her seat and hugged all three children. They all began asking her things and talking. “Miss Hikari, were you sick? Why didn’t you teach us?” asked the boy.

“Are you coming tomorrow?” asked the brown-haired girl.
“And who’s he?” The black-haired girl asked, taking attention at Gaara. She was looking right at him, looking him up and down. Hikari smiled. “I just had some things to do. I’m sorry I didn’t come today, I’m not sick at all, but thank you for your concern.” Hikari glanced over at Gaara. “Guys, this is Gaara. He’s… a very close person to me.” she said. The three looked at him for a while, sometimes looking back to Hikari, and then to him. Gaara almost felt like he was being searched. “He doesn’t look related to you.” The boy said. Hikari laughed. “No, he’s not a family member.” the three children seemed to “oh.” in realization. “I thought you meant close as in he’s a cousin or something.” the boy said, scratching his head in embarrassment. Hikari giggled and ruffled the boy’s hair. “It’s okay, we all make mistakes.”

The boy nodded and smiled. “Well Miss Hikari, I think we need to get going.” The brown-haired girl said. Hikari nodded. “Well you guys have a good time then.” They all started to run off and leave to play saying goodbye to both of them, but the black-haired girl turned back. She walked up and handed Hikari her blue ball. “Here, Miss Hikari. I don’t know if you play, but keep it as a gift.” Hikari held the ball for a second, but then passed it back. “You don’t need to give this to me, but thank you.” The girl shook her head. “No, keep it, Miss Hikari. I have more back home.” And she ran off from the calls of her two friends. Hikari held the blue ball in her hands in thought. “What are you going to do with that?” Gaara asked. Hikari looked at it more, and then a smile came on her face as an idea. “Lets pay for the food, and I’ll show you.”

They paid the bill and left the restraunt in a hurry. Hikari was walking fast ahead, looking in every direction as she did. Where are we going? Gaara questioned himself mentally, keeping up with Hikari. After two minutes, they reached a small park area. “Here we are!” Hikari said, walking to what appeared to be a small version of a field. It was a small break in the forest, where bits of grass and flowers were growing.

Hikari began dragging her feet on the floor and repeating the step a couple times. In a minute, Gaara realized Hikari had drawn lines into parts of the ground. She tossed the ball in her hand, a smirk coming on her face. “Remember this game, Gaara?” He stared at the ground with the lines drawn in for a second, and it hit him. “Borders, right?” he asked. Hikari nodded. “Wanna rematch for old times sake?” After giving it thought, Gaara could remember everything about the game. The rules, the memories playing the game with her, how Hikari explained her father taught her the game. Everything. It did bring back some memories. Gaara walked to the side he decided to choose as his. “You remember our rules right?” he asked,
“You bet I do. You remember I don’t go easy on people.”
“Yes.”
“Then let’s go. I‘ll go first.”