Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Crimson Assassin ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Akane Vs the Uchiha

I follow him, skillfully weilding my katana I stand on a branch, high above the ground. He throws a kunai at me, which I block with the hilt of my katana. He then appears behind me, ready to attack again, but I am ready. I spin around and attack, but then he is gone. He appears again on another branch about ten yards away. I notice he has refrained from using his sharingan, and I know he is playing with me. Annoyed, I use my inner flame to set his tree on fire.
"Impressive, you can use it from a distance" he says as he jumps to another branch.
He then draws a kunai and advances on me. I ready myself, alert for any sudden movement. He charges, and kunai meets katana for a split second, then they part, and meet again and again. None of us can gain the upper hand, as we are matched in speed and skill. To Kisame we seem like blurs, breaking apart and meeting again. This goes on for only a few minutes, but it seems like hours. I start to get tired, I'm panting, but Itachi is showing no fatigue. Finally, we break again one last time. I look at him, wondering what he is going to do next. Instead of attacking again like I expected, he simply drops his stance, nods his head and says "Well done, you have passed."
Tired, I sit on the branch. "You are the first person, to ever present a challenge to me. It makes me nervous to think of how you fight with your sharingan."
"Hn" Was all his reply as he jumped twenty-some feet to the ground.
I follow him, still shocked at his skill, and knowing he could kill me whenever he wanted.
Kisame looks to Itachi who says, "She is stronger than her reputation says her to be. She can handle this."
"Heh, alright then, what now?" says Kisame.
Itachi looks at me and says, "Kisame and I will await you in Border Town of the fire country. We know from spies that Orochimaru is not currently in his village, and that he has gone to conduct business in the earth country. You will travel alone to the village hidden in the sound, where you will spy on Orochimaru's hideout. When you get the chance, you will slip inside and retrieve the ring from his room. Beware of Sasuke and Kabuto, together they may be able to defeat you."
Unafraid, I reply, "I will see you soon, with the ring in my possession. No need to doubt that."
Itachi and Kisame then walk off, Kisame waving behind them, "Good luck, we'll be waiting."

Itachi's POV
Finally, a worthy opponent..
She looked so, graceful- No, I musn't think this, there is too much at stake..

On The Third Day Of The Journey To The Village Hidden In the Sound

Running, running, feels so, nice. I wish I could run like this forever, but I'm starting to get tired. I should rest for tonight. I'll stop, when I reach the river before I enter the village, At the river I will bathe and eat and watch the stars overhead.
Upon reaching the river, I check the area around for prying eyes. I then take off my katana, shoes, and the rest of my clothing and set it all in a bundle at the base of a large tree. I gingerly step into the water, and I wade towards the center until the water goes up to my neck. I feel the slight current pull at my hair, and I long to let it take me to oblivion, but I know I can't, I must complete the mission, so I won't have to be alone anymore.. So in the meantime I wash my skin and hair of the filth I acquired during the journey. Satisfied that I am clean, I get out of the river and lie down on a large boulder, allowing the sun to dry me. When the sun is set and the stars start to come out, I get up and slowly put on my clothes. That was nice, dinner time.
I grab an obento from my bag and dine on the contents. Full, I climb a tree, find a sturdy branch, and fall asleep, leaning on the trunk.

Arrival

Running again, I come in sight of the Hidden Sound village. I would enter it, but I know that the village is not where I must go, for Orochimaru's current hideout is north of the village. I would go through the village, but that would not be wise. I must be extremely careful not to be seen, so I must detour around the village.
Instead of running, I creep around, trying not to disturb the grass and other plants, knowing that if someone sees me and warns Sasuke or the other denizens of the base, I might as well give up and run back to Shingetsu, and be alone again.
Upon reaching the other side of the village, I break into a run again. Before long, I reach the site of the hideout. From the outside all that is visible is a small shack. But I know that on the inside, there is a secret passage to a great underground labryinth. I enter the shack. It is dark inside, but in the light of the moon I see a candle on a table in the middle of the room. I motion with my fingers and the candle bursts to life. I look around, searching for the entrance. Scanning the floor boards, I see a barely visible crack in them, forming an irregular square. I take out a kunai and gingerly fit the blade between the cracks. I use it to push open the secret door. Once the door is open, I see nothing but black. There are metal rungs forming a ladder down the side of the pit, but most of them are broken, and I don't trust them to hold me. So instead of using those, I grab the candle from the table, concentrate chakra in my feet, and slowly walk down the side of the pit. I've been walking down it for so long, and I am surprised when I reach the bottom. Stepping onto the floor, I allow myself a minute to get my bearings.
I then set off in search of Orochimaru's room, deep within the labyrinth.
After about twenty minutes of walking, I secretly thank Kisame for telling me where Orochimaru's room is. I just wish it wouldn't take so long. This place is creeping me out. As I am about to cross through an intersection, I sense someone coming. Knowing I am in danger, I quickly open a random door and hide in the room. Relieved that the room is empty, I draw a kunai and wait behind the door in case someone should open it. Hearing footsteps, I tense, at the ready. They stop at my door, lucky me. The door slowly opens, and I lash out with the kunai, only to meet with another kunai. I look from the kunai, to the owner of it, and am startled to see the one and only, Uchiha Sasuke.
Damn..