Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Crimson Assassin ❯ Chapter 6

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Encounter

Instead of attacking, he just looks at me, with the same lack of expression as his brother.
"Why are you here?
Knowing that he will be able to tell if I lie, I decide to be honest. "I seek the ring of Orochimaru."
Showing no surpise, he simply turns around and starts to walk away a few steps. He faces me again and in a bored tone, "I would kill you now but, there is only one person I wish to kill.. Take the ring if you wish, I will not stop you." Then he walks away without looking back.
Completely astounded, it takes me a minute to fully comprehend what he said. Finally, I start off again in the direction of Orochimaru's room.
When I finally, finally reach it, I am so sick of the tunnels that I want to destroy them all. I move to draw my katana, then, thinking better of it, I move my hand back to my side. This is a mission of stealth, not destruction. I must be patient and wise. But still, I seriously hate this place.
Standing in front of the door, I carefully turn the handle, and jump back as the door swings freely outward. Wary of traps, I mutter a jutsu that will run a thin layer of flame that doesn't burn through the entire room, disabling all traps.
Confident that I am in no immediate danger, I step in to the room. I look around and see a bookshelf and a simple bed, with a small table beside it. Upon the table are various bottles of pills, an empty glass, a few odds and ends, and the ring I came here for. I walk over to the table, and pick up the ring. Smiling to myself I pocket the ring, turn around, and freeze in place.
"Going somewhere?" Says Kabuto.Ugh, what a nuisance. "I am getting out of here, don't bother trying to stop me."
"Yeah, riight, you aren't going anywhere." He pulls out a needle and throws it at me. I quickly draw my katana and block it. He uses this distraction to attack, but I'm too fast. I block each attack, careful not to let him touch me, lest it prove to be fatal. In the midst of fighting, I fill my blade with fire, and use it to burn Kabuto's needle, along with part of his hand. He jerks his hand back, and before he can heal it, I attack again, cutting him deeply in his side, then I kick him in the head, knocking him out. Not caring anymore for stealth, I run as fast as I can back the way I had come. This time, the journey took only a few minutes, and I encountered no one. Upon reaching the pit, I jump as high as I can and use my chakra to stick my hands and feet to the wall. I straighten myself and run up the wall, when I reach the top I hastily jump out and shut the door. I dart out of the shack in the direction of Border Town.

Exhaustion

Running, running, I'm tired.. Tired of running.. I didn't think it was possible. I have been running all day, I want to stop, but I cannot.. Not until I get to Border Town..
The are the thoughts I have before I collapse from exhaustion. Angry with myself, I sit there where I fell, cursing at myself. "I'm weak, so weak, it pisses me off. I need to get stronger. Perhaps, being with the akatsuki will help with that. I can get more training.. yes. I must keep going, after.. I take a nap.." With that, I fall asleep.

Dreams

Tsubaki...
"Who, who's there?"
Tsubaki...
"Who is, Tsubaki.. Am I, Tsubaki?"
Tsubaki...
Tsubaki...

*fade*

Tsubaki is a freak, Tsubaki is a freak, a freak ah ha ha ha haa~
"Yes.. I am a freak.. why am I a freak.. Why can't I be, normal?"
She killed her mother...
"It, it was an accident! I didn't mean to!"
She helped to kill her father...
"I- I did. But, he deserved to die! Now please, stooooo-

*fade*

oooooooooop!!!" I wake up, crying. Head pounding from the guilt. "Why..?"I sit there for a while, until I can calm down. Eventually, I grab the canteen from my bag and drink some water. I finally get up and start walking toward Border Town. Thankfully, it doesn't take long for me to reach it. Before I go inside, though, I change into my disguise, a red kimono with black blossoms along the bottom of it. I also use a jutsu to compact my blade to the size of a dagger and put it in my bag. Finally, I pull up my hair into a low ponytail. Satisfied, I enter the city.

Border Town

Inside the village, I begin my search for Kisame and Itachi. I search all day, without avail. When it gets dark, I decide to rent a room and hope that they find me.
Finally some luck, an inn with hot springs. I run to my room, grab a towel, and run to the springs. I strip down and gradually lower myself into the steaming water. No one is there, and I hear the birds sing in the trees nearby, and squirrels fighting over acorns. I am at peace. Finally, when my skin turns red and my fingers and toes resemble prunes, I force myself to get out. I put on a robe and wrap my hair in a towel, then I grab my clothes and head back to my room.
Once inside, I redress myself, brush my hair, and sit on the bed, wondering what to do. Bored, I lie down and count the cracks in the ceiling. When I'm at number seventy-eight, I hear a knock at the door. I wonder who that is.. I get up and go to the door. I take a breath and open it. Sure enough, there stands Kisame and Itachi. I step aside to let them in. Kisame makes himself comfortable in the only chair in the room. I sit on the bed, and Itachi remains standing. We are all silent until Kisame predictably breaks the silence.
"So, since you are here, I suppose you succeeded in getting the ring?"
"Yes, I have." I pull the ring out of my pocket and place it in the palm of my hand. "Should I put it on?"
Itachi answers, "Not yet, first we must go to the meeting place and summon the other members. It is there that you will become a member, if the others agree, of course."
Ready to get out of there and on the road, I ask, "When do we leave?"
"Tomorrow, get some rest. We'll come by in the morning when it's time to go."
"Alright." They walk out the door.