Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Crimson Assassin ❯ Chapter 7

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Another Journey

*knock knock*

Ugh. I mumble, "What..?"

*knock knock*

"Oh.." I look at the time: it is four thirty. Not cool.

*louder knocking*

"Okay okay, I'm coming." I get up and open the door, yawning.

Kisame is there. "It's about time you answered. Hurry up and get ready, we've got to go. Meet us at the West Gate."

"Alright." As soon as he leaves, I run to the small bathroom and brush my teeth and fix my hair.

Finished, I put on my sandals and grab my stuff. Then I'm out the door.

Once outside the city, it doesn't take long for me to spot Kisame and Itachi, they seem to demand all the attention around them with their robes and their mysterious bamboo hats. When they see me, Itachi nods, and together me, him, and Kisame walk off toward the meeting place.

Neither of us talk for the greater part of the day. The only sounds are our slight footsteps, the wind rustling the leaves on the trees, and the ocassional sound of a bird crying.

"So, how far until we get to this meeting place?"

Itachi answers, "Sometime tomorrow."

"Ahh." That is all that is said until the sun begins to set.

Itachi suddenly stops walking and says, "We will rest here for tonight." We are in a small clearing bordered on one side by a sparkling river.

"Perfect timing, I'm beat," Kisame states as he throws down his pack. "I'll get dinner ready." He goes over to the river and uses a jutsu to summon some fish. Next thing I know they are cooking over a fire, while Kisame eats his raw.

Itachi and I are facing eachother from across the fire, and he keeps staring at me. I return the stare wondering, what is he thinking..? Then. His eyes, they're so, pretty.

Kisame notices none of this as he hands the now-cooked fish to us. Itachi finally stops staring as he begins to eat.

While we are eating, Kisame tends to his sword.

After we are finished, I decide it is too quiet, even for me. So I try to start a conversation with Itachi. "So what made you decide to join the Akatsuki?"

"I support the organization's ideals," was all his answer was.

"Ahh. What about you, Kisame?" He just grunts and goes back to his sword.

I sigh and get up and say "I'm going for a walk." Again Itachi looks at me with those eyes, yet he says nothing.

Alone

Once I am around a mile away from the campsite, i stop walking. Not because I am tired but because I need to think. A lot is going through my mind and if I don't sort these thoughts out I just might explode. So I sit down on the root of a giant tree and start meditating. But it seems I am more tired than I thought, so I fall asleep.

Dream
Mother is hanging the laundry out on the clothesline to dry. I am playing in the flower garden, but the flowers are dying, because of the snow. Desparate to save the plants, I hold my hands over them, blocking the falling snow. I am five years old, and I am smart enough to know this isnt changing anything. So I start to think of what is really needed, and that is heat. I want to start a fire, but I am not allowed, my parents are afraid that I will burn myself, so they hid the flint. So instead, I gather some sticks and place them near the garden. I try to start a fire by striking the sticks together, but to no avail. frustrated, I will the sticks to burn, then suddenly they burst in to flame, and the snow around them starts to melt. Surprised and frightened at what I had done, I grab a stick without thinking that I am not supposed to touch fire. My hand is covered with the fire but I am feeling no pain. Excited, I run to my mother and show her what I did. Frightened by the flames covering my arm, she snatches the stick out of my hand and throws it on the ground, burning herself. She kneels down and grabs me by the shoulders and shakes me, telling me how stupid that was of me. She tells me never to do anything like that again.She didn't even think to ask where the fire came from. That made me angry. I yelled back at her, telling her that I saved the flowers in the garden, and she should thank me, and not call me stupid. She yells back at me saying that she is trying to protect me.. And I get so angry.. I cause her to burst in to flame. She immediately lets go of me and screams and screams for my father, but he is in the village, buying food to last us through the winter. She pleads for me to save her, to stop the fire, but I just watch wide-eyed, it doesn't even occur to me that if I can start a fire, then I can put out. I watch as she dies, and I just sit there.An eternity later, my dad comes home and sees me sitting there, staring at the charred body of my mother. He drops the food he bought, runs over to mother, and finds that she is dead. He turns to me and yells, "Why didn't you do something? Why?" I do not answer, I just sit there still.
There is no way for my father to know it was me who killed her, but he suspects, and from then on he has made my life a living hell.

Since my powers have awakened that fateful day, even though I killed my mother with them, I take every opportunity I can to use them. Many of the kids in the village have seen me using them, and they stay away from me because they are afraid, but not too afraid to taunt me and throw rocks at me. I never had any friends, I was always alone..

I eventually wake up, and I am curled into a little ball, with tears in my eyes. I sit up and look around. The first thing I notice it that it is dawn, and that Itachi is squatting maybe three feet in front of me.

"We are leaving, let's go."

I nod and, before I get up, I notice that his eyes are softer than usual.