Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ In the Rain ❯ Stalking in the Snow ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author: hey, sorry for not updating in forever! Life's been a pain in the ass lately. With my busy schedule and a serious case of writer's block…But, here I am, and I'll try updating more often -^^- Anyways, I'm going to cut straight to the chapter (after the quote, and my suggestions of a good fanfic and book to read)
 
Quote: “Sometimes I get the feeling the whole world is against me, but deep down inside I know that's not true. Some smaller countries are neutral.” ~Robert Orben
 
Fanfic of the…erm…chapter? : The Curative Career of Kaori the Ninja Nurse By: Kopykat Kakashi
 
Book of the chapter (That sounds so weird): Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment By: James Patterson
 
Now for the fic!
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Chapter 9:
Stalking in the Snow
 
 
There she was, sitting at the ramen stand, talking with Lee over bowls of steaming ramen. Neji's blood boiled. For the past month, Lee had frequently asked Saiiya to `help him train'. The two of them seemed to become closer and closer with each other, and now they went to do stuff together almost more than Saiiya and Kayrin. A smile spread on Saiiya's lips as Lee went off on another rant, a sparkle in her eyes. Neji snapped the branch he was holding in his hand in half. He cussed, tossing the branch to the side and leaned back against the tree. He hated when Lee made her do that.
 
He sat there, brooding for about ten minutes when Lee moved the flaps of the ramen shop to the side so Saiiya could walk out. She thanked him, and they kept walking. Neji jumped out of the tree and followed them, taking great care in concealing himself. Luckily, it seemed Lee and Saiiya hadn't noticed yet. He peered from behind a newspaper which he had covering his face to see them enter a salon. Confused, he got a little closer. He hadn't realized he had gotten so close that a girl bringing in customers could take hold of his arm and she began babbling about discounts.
 
He turned to look at her, and she instantly stopped when she saw the heat of his gaze. He took his arm back and walked stiffly in the other direction. He stepped into the restaurant next door and got to a table near the wall so he could use his Byakugan to watch Saiiya. As he sat down, he ordered a meal and then activated it once the waiter left. He turned and looked to see where Saiiya was, instantly recognizing her. She was talking to the hair stylist as Lee sat in the chair, looking eagerly at both of them.
 
But before he could watch anymore, Hanabi came running in, two of her friends following her. “Neji! Is something wrong?” she asked her kunai out. Neji deactivated his Byakugan. “No. Nothing's wrong.” They stopped, looking at one another. Hanabi looked back, confused. “But you only use your Byakugan when something's happening…” Hanabi commented, but stopped, a shocked expression. The shock was replaced by a sneaky grin. Neji knew that grin all too well. “Hey, one of you go look next door in the salon,” she suggested, and one of them sprinted off. Neji groaned, knowing he was screwed.
 
The girl returned, grinning. “Hatake Saiiya, the ANBU's there. She's with Lee.” Hanabi grinned and turned back to Neji. “You're stalking Saiiya! This is great!” she laughed excitedly. Neji stood up slowly in a catlike manner. “Well, it seems you have a knack for making things difficult, don't you, cousin?” he asked silkily, frightening Hanabi's friends, but only them. Hanabi raised an eyebrow, still grinning. “You think Saiiya'd get mad if I told her?” Hanabi's cool manner released the tension of her friends, and the mischievous grins returned.
 
“That would be awesome,” one of the girls agreed. “We might have to get the Hokage-sama out here to keep her from taking off his head with kunai or something.” Neji tensed ever so slightly, his gaze hardening as Hanabi and her friends continued. “You know, Neji, I think I'm a little hungry. Can you buy us some lunch?” Hanabi asked, and her friends nodded enthusiastically. Neji inwardly groaned, sitting down. “Fine.” Hanabi's evil smirk grew and they pulled up chairs, pleased at their progress.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~(Two hours Later)
 
Neji's jaw almost dropped at the price of the bill as the trio from hell leaned back in their chairs, rubbing their stomachs contentedly. He glanced at the blank wall, wishing he could've activated his Byakugan to see what Saiiya was doing, or if she was still even there. “There, you have lunch, I have other things to do,” he growled as he stood up, handing the check to the waiter. Hanabi and her friends shrugged content for the moment. Neji quickly left before they changed their minds.
 
When he got out, he glanced into the salon, not seeing Saiiya or Lee anywhere. He sighed, choosing to go to the park. As he walked there, he looked up in the sky, seeing the clouds move lackadaisically through the sky that was soon covered by the long, bare branches drizzled with snow. He heard some laughter up ahead, and he heard Saiiya's voice. His head locked back straight as he tried to see where she was. He hid behind a nearby tree, hearing her voice getting closer.
 
“So, Saiiya how does Lee look?” Neji recognized the pink haired medic-nin's voice. It was Sakura.
 
“Amazing. You wouldn't even recognize him.”
 
“So I'm guessing he's pretty hot.”
 
Both girls laughed. “Yeah,” Saiiya agreed. “I mean, I got him to buy a completely new wardrobe, he's sure to score a girl soon.” The girls stopped moving, and Neji realized how close to him they were. “Sakura…” Saiiya continued, and they got began walking towards Neji's hiding spot.
 
Neji was about to walk out when Sakura's voice cut in. “I remember seeing that flower in Ino's shop. It's beautiful.”
 
“Yeah,” Saiiya murmured, and they crouched down.
 
Sakura saw what looked like a pant leg and squinted. “Who's behind the…?” she started, and moved to see who it was. “What?” Saiiya asked, standing up and looking behind the tree. “Sakura, there's nothing there…” Saiiya explained, resting her hand against the tree.
 
Sakura shrugged. “Oh well, maybe I was just imagining things.”
 
Saiiya rolled her eyes. “Let's go. You ought to see Lee. I swear you'll fall over with a nosebleed.” They laughed again and continued walking. Once their voices faded, Neji stepped out behind the tree, furrowing his brow. He didn't set up the concealment genjutsu and the only people who had been nearby were Sakura and…Saiiya. The genjutsu fell, and Neji was left standing in the middle of the park, wondering when Saiiya had the chance to set up the genjutsu and when she realized he was there.
 
Neji shrugged it off, walking back the direction he came from. He stuffed his hands in his pockets, kicking up a glob of snow. He blew at a strand of hair in his face, watching it fly up and then back down in the same spot. He knocked it out of the way with his hand, not getting why Saiiya confused him so much. He hated her and then he loved her. She annoyed him yet he couldn't stay away from her. Every time he thought he figured her out, she would slide just out of his understanding.
 
“You know, I'd figure after Hanabi and her friends caught you following me, you'd quit.”
 
Neji jerked to attention as Saiiya dropped down from a tree, landing in a crouched position before standing up several feet from Neji. “I wasn't, you just happened to be nearby the place I was,” Neji replied simply. “I wasn't following you.” Saiiya's eyes glowed with amusement. “I see; you were stalking me.” Saiiya raised her eyebrows as Neji grit his teeth. “I was NOT stalking you.”
 
Saiiya tapped her chin. “Let's see, should I get a dictionary? Let's see…Stalking. Well, it's a verb. I'd say it's following a person of interest everywhere they go while hiding to remain unseen because they don't want to be seen. Do you have any other definition?” With Neji's silence as an answer, Saiiya continued. “Well, at least I can say I have a stalker now. Damn, I feel special. Thanks for boosting my ego.”
 
Neji started walking again, brushing past Saiiya. “Don't flatter yourself, Hatake.” Neji stopped when Saiiya started chuckling. He turned. “What?” The ANBU Captain crossed her arms, biting back a grin. “You were jealous of Lee, weren't you?” Neji almost blushed- almost. “Why would I be jealous of that low-level bowl-head?” Neji snapped. Saiiya walked up to Neji, poking him in the chest repeatedly. “You're jealous that I'm spending so much time with him and that he might steal me from you…” Neji pushed Saiiya's hand away, stepping closer to her so their faces almost touched.
 
“Alright,” he whispered huskily, making Saiiya flush. “I am jealous. Happy?” Saiiya smirked again. “Ecstatic.” Neji smirked back, startling Saiiya as he leaned closer so their lips almost touched. Then, Saiiya stumbled backwards, gripping her stomach, wincing in pain. “You-you sneaky bastard!” she coughed as Neji uncurled his fingers from the tight fist he had punched her with. “What? Thought I was going to kiss you? I save those for Tenten.” The kunoichi growled and her eyes glowed ferociously. Neji slid his hands in his pockets, raising a single eyebrow. “What's the matter? Jealous?”
 
Saiiya straightened, brushing her silver lock of hair out of her eyes. “You're a pompous asshole. That's what you are, Neji.” Neji raised his hands in mock defense. “Oh, forgive me, Queen of the Bitches.” Saiiya huffed and turned to leave. Neji did the same, but was met with an icy clump of snow on the back of his neck. He shivered, turning to see Saiiya kneeling to make another snowball, thoroughly pissed. Neji knelt down and grabbed a collection of snow, adding a burst of chakra in it, throwing it at her. It collided with the one she had made, and both balls exploded into a powder. And the match began.
 
The pair hid behind trees, stocking up on their `weapons'. Neji leaned out and threw one at Saiiya's tree, just as she leaned out to throw one. It barely missed her head, and hers came at Neji with enormous speed and accuracy. Neji ducked and it hit the tree behind him, bursting on impact. Snowball after snowball was thrown and the two ninja darted behind trees and bushes, staying concealed while trying to hit the other. Finally, Neji couldn't figure out where the black-haired ANBU had gone to. He turned as a huge snowball landed two feet in front of him.
 
Neji was about to boast on how it had missed him when he noticed the exploding tag on it. He jumped backwards just as chunks of snow went sailing into the air from all directions. When he landed, he barely had time to realize Saiiya had appeared behind him, grabbing him by the middle and pulling him down into the snow. He grabbed her wrists as she tried to pin him down, flipping her over so he was on top. She delivered a knee into his stomach, twisting her wrists so she could grab his and flip him over, flipping backwards to follow.
 
Neji's hands were pinned down in the snow, Saiiya's knee still on his stomach, her other leg resting next to his left leg. They were both breathing heavily, staring at each other. Neji's lips quirked upwards and Saiiya looked concerned. “What?” she asked through ragged breaths. “Look at my left hand.” Saiiya looked down as a snowball hit her firmly in between the eyes. She yelped, jumping backwards as Neji got up, throwing another one at her. She threw one back and it burst in his hair. When Neji got close enough, she swept her leg underneath his, tripping him. He landed next to her, face down.
 
Saiiya laughed turning on her side. “Give up, Neji, I win,” she breathed, propping herself up on her elbow. Neji sat up, smirking at her. “Never.” He pounced on Saiiya, who laughed and began to wrestle with him. He flipped her over, pulling her arm into a lock. Saiiya grabbed his head with her free hand, swinging them over so she was lying on him and grabbed his leg, pulling his head and leg together (trust me, that wrestling move HURTS). Neji looked to find a weak spot in her form and grinned when he found one.
 
Saiiya watched Neji contemplate the next move, knowing he wasn't giving up yet. But she wasn't expecting that a certain hand would just happen to find the one ticklish spot on her side. She let out a little scream, letting him go. Neji pounced once again, tickling her as she burst out laughing. “Ne…ji…stop! Can't…breathe!!” Saiiya exclaimed in between laughter. Neji increased the tickling until all was left out of her were short, almost pained gasps. He stopped; his hands were on either side of her face, both breathing heavily once again.
 
“Not…fair…” Saiiya pouted one hand on her stomach and the other lying uselessly by her side. “I win,” Neji noted dully. Saiiya snorted lazily, reaching up and flicking him in the nose. He snorted and pulled at her ear. Saiiya snarled lightly, reaching up and grabbing Neji in a headlock. She started giving him a noogie, smirking. “Of course you when,” she teased, Neji grasping at her hand. They both came to a sudden stop when they heard several voices.
The ANBU Captain furrowed her brow, trying to pinpoint who the voices belonged to. Neji had stopped to listen as well.
 
“Is that…?” she began, and Neji nodded. It was the members of the Hyuga Council. They were the strictest most merciless members of the Hyuga Clan, and had no sympathy. Saiiya let go and stood up, dusting herself off, Neji doing the same. Saiiya looked over Neji, seeing a chunk in his hair. “Neji…” she whispered, leaning forward and pulling it out of his hair. He leaned forward and brushed some snow off her back and then off her butt. Saiiya jumped back, smacking Neji in the face.
 
She glared at him, but then cleared her throat and began talking calmly and regally to Neji just as three council members came into view. Saiiya and Neji paused in their `conversation' to bow their heads towards the members who stopped. They looked at the pair intensely, their looks hard and judgmental. Saiiya glanced at Neji who was standing tall in a peaceful yet powerful demeanor. She mimicked him, giving the council members a casual gaze that sported her skill and elegance. “Good day,” one said calmly, seeming much kinder than the others. Saiiya and Neji bowed their heads in unison.
 
Neji turned to Saiiya, continuing their random conversation about some event going on. Neither was very involved in the conversation, only making up random responses and comments until the council members were gone. Neji slightly relaxed and Saiiya breathed a sigh of relief. “Thank god for good hearing,” she muttered, brushed her hair out of the way. Neji raised an eyebrow. “I would have won had we continued that fight,” he interjected, leaning against the tree behind him. Saiiya scoffed. “Yeah, right. I would've won either way.” They glared at each other until Saiiya shrugged it off, turning.
 
“Anyway, I have to go check up on Lee. He probably hasn't figured out how to organize his closet. And he probably is looking for his spandex uniforms…” Saiiya moved to leave when Neji grabbed her hand, spinning her around. Saiiya opened her mouth to speak until Neji's lip connected with hers. She barely had time to register what happened and then it was over. She turned a deep red as Neji leaned back, looking down at her. “Fine.” Saiiya took a step forward as Neji spun in a half circle, leaving a confused teenaged ninja in his wake.
 
“N-Neji…Neji. Hey! Neji!” she called, but the white-eyed ninja didn't respond. Saiiya touched her lips again, her face still red. She desperately longed to chase him down and beat the shit out of him until he explained what the kiss was for, but she couldn't leave Lee by himself with all of that stuff or he'd go insane. `Tonight. Tonight I'll confront him,' Saiiya assured herself, and jogged off to meet Lee.
 
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Author: Gasp!! Finally some romance! -^^- Not very much, but some romance nonetheless. And that was Saiiya's first kiss! W00t!
 
Saiiya: And that stupid bastard just turned and left after that! I was hoping for something more romantic…. *broods*
 
Neji: It's the writer's fault, not mine.
 
Saiiya: Excuses, excuses…jerk. *sulks in corner*
 
Neji: -_-
 
Author: Anyhoo, sorry for the long update and such a short chapter, but I'll hopefully get the next chappy up soon. Since its summer and I have all day almost every day to do whatever, I get more time to write! XD Cya next time readers! Don't forget to R&R!
 
.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
 
And of course, my responses to my reviewers:
 
Dragon_Lord…..I just enjoy writing longer chapters. You get more information at a time. Thanks for suggesting a character. I'll try and put him in there.
 
Gaara252….thanks a bunch! I'm glad my story's deep. I try to make it emotional -^^- But as for the lemon…um…I don't normally write them, but for you, I will. I just have to decide whether or not I'll add it in this fanfic or make a one-shot.
 
 
 
THANKS for the Reviews!!